Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass. Serving temp was about 33-35F. Poured a very bright gold, for some reason reminded me of lemonade. Strong adjunct aroma with no real character. Just didn't like anything about this beer, except maybe the appearance it was close to what an light lager would be I guess. Had a strong hop bite and for some reason gave me a headache after having it. I could not drink this again and glad I didn't pay for it. Horrible.

cdrogers, Oct 19, 2009
2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

first macro review, a beer i've had so many times.

ah, a lovely see-through yellow with bubbles on the sides. I poured it fast so I can enjoy the site of some head, at least for the 30 seconds it has taken me to write what I got thus far, but now it is officially fizzed away.
not too much aroma to it. but i do smell some corn/vegetables. i can't say its a pleasant or inviting smell, but hey, what's cheap is cheap, and sometimes, especially since i'm in college, u find a case in your fridge.
naturally i made sure this bad boy was ice cold, because otherwise... well, anyway, moving on. It has the tastes of corn, and what whatever plain flavored malt and hops they put in to this.
it does have an appropriate amount of carbonation, i just don't like the aftertaste.
when cold, its drinkable, if warm its torture.

To say i hate bud light would be hypocritical because it won't be the last time I have it. since i'm still in college i'm sure I'll be drinking bud light many many more times.
Sure, macro breweries use multimillion dollar ad campaigns, but hey, they earned it didn't they? Anheuser-Busch is an example of the American dream at its finest. I respect that. I am going to go get drunk now. :)

JordonHoltzman, Oct 14, 2009

--Poured from a 12 ounce can into a 12 ounce, clear, plastic cup.--
-Born on date stamped on can. (May have died the same day?)-

Appearance- Transparent, extremely pale-piss yellow. Tall white head from a hard pour, but in about fifteen seconds, it's simply a memory. No real lacing to speak of.

Smell- Metallic, with hints of corn and rice. Not absolutely off-putting, but not necessarily inviting, either. No hops to speak of in the nose.

Taste- Again, instead of the true malt, you get sweet corn and rice. No real hop bite, just a tiny tingle in the back. This beer is lightly sweet with metallic notes, and nothing else.

Mouthfeel- Sparkling water. Plenty of carbonation, but no weight on the tongue. Very slick, and a rather nice clean finish, with no aftertaste.

Drinkabilty- You could pound these back all night. Absolutely made for quantity over quality. After three or four, they go down like water. If you're looking for a session in a 30 pack, this is for you. If you're looking for flavor, appreciation, and a respectable beer, look elsewhere.

jpeterman, Oct 12, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +45.9%

Bud Light pours a bright straw color with a fluffy white head, from the longneck. It smells of grains, and not much else. The taste is pretty much the same, grains. There is a sharp bite of carbonation, and the coldness is getting to me. This is the beer that defines drinkability, they go down like water.

spartanfan, Oct 02, 2009
1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Oh boy, here we go...

Appearance: Pours a yellowish pale, straw like with very thin white head that goes away immediately leaving small traces of any lace. Extremely bright & filtered

Aroma: A small trace of sweetness from the malt followed by a mild graininess. Hops? come on, im reviewing bud light here (that means no chance in hell). It smells like the homeless alcoholic down the street, nasty stale...bud characteristic. This seriously smells what the local drunk smells like after a 30 day binge, I should know. The only reason I am reviewing this beer is because it was the last one left in the fridge after an alki went on a binge then found his was into the ER half dead.

Flavor: The first thing I noticed is an awkward sweetness followed by a funky grain taste. Did they leave the gain silo open? They must have because this tastes like a stale shoe left in the rain. As one would expect no hops. The aftertaste is just awful, a stale gain flavor. Something is funky here.

Mouthfeel: Super thin!! higher levels of carbonation, as much body as Deer Park water. The grain is balanceed perfectly by the high amount of water & funk.

Overall: I am glad that you are reading this. Seriously, I am drinking this pig piss so that I can tell all to stay clear of this beer. I feel as if I doing community service here. Malt is flavorless & funky, no body, awful aroma,....you know what Im done with this, to the sink I go...

simmons, Oct 01, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

A: It looks like pee but more clear

S: It smells like a trash bag after a highschool party

T: Corn juice

M: Is there anything more watery than water? if so it is certainly bud light carbonation is high

D: It doesn't really taste like anything and it feels like water so i guess its pretty easy to drink?

This is one of several beers that is keeping craft beer in a tiny portion of the market and makes BAs look like pretentious yuppies

HopBacchus, Sep 30, 2009
1.85/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 12oz fan can (Notre Dame colors).

A- Pours a very sorry looking light yellow. People say it looks like urine and well I would say more of a ginger ale color maybe a shade lighter. Big 2 finger cloudy white head that stays around for a little bit before slowly dying down. Leaves some soapy lacing on the sides of the glass which slides back into the beer.

S- Typical earthy dirty pilsner smell. A certain corn sweetness with this as well. Nothing is too overpowering just a well...faint smell all around. Light grassy smell as well.

T- Bleh...this shit just tastes terrible. I have never liked the taste of this beer even before I drank craft beers. Very watery tasting with a sweet corn taste as well. Nothing really to this in flavor but well it's rancid to say the least.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little much but still not as terrible as Coors Light. Fizzes on the palate when you drink it. Leaves a super sweet aftertaste. Not a huge fan of this at all...makes me want to drink something else to get rid of the aftertaste. Feels like a sweet tasting water in the mouth.

D- This is a drinkable beer in the sence that you can pound them left and right because they don't have a real taste to them. But to actually sit back and drink them and ponder well they are not that drinkable then to me. I gave it a middle of the road rating on this because of these two facts.

alleykatking, Sep 23, 2009
2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

I'm not sure why I'm reviewing this, but what the hell, here goes..

Serving type - Can/bottle (have had both)

Appearance - A pale, clear yellow, with a white foam head with good retention.

Smell - There's really not much going on here at all. A little bit of "beer-ness" to it?

Taste - Ehh..not so good. I don't necessarily hate beers with adjuncts in them (in fact, there are even some I like), but when it's this watered down, it just hurts the flavor big time. Pretty bad out of the can, okay out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel - Kinda like carbonated water, but with some beer flavor in it.

Drinkability - You can pound these easily, but it doesn't make it good beer.

Overall - This is one to avoid. The least good of the BMC light beers IMO (Well, except for Bud select...). Stick to the "regular" versions of adjunct lagers if that's your thing.

Flightoficarus, Sep 23, 2009
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

put in a situation where the only beers were Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light and Yuengling Lager... had to give it a whirl again so I could review it.

A: clear yellow, some faint hints of gold, fluffy white head that is gone in an instant, no lacing

S: faint hints of corn, earth and moldy bread

T: actual thin malt profile detected behind predominant water

M: watery, thin, over carbonated

D: drinkable because it doesnt taste like anything... ranks above Coors but below Miller in my light beer rankings

rfgetz, Sep 21, 2009
2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

I guess I have consumed my share of this in my day even though its not my thing anymore....

A - Water yellow color with a fair head that dissipated pretty fast.

S - You will have to strain to smell any malt or hops in it but they are there.

T - Most beer lover's "gateway" beer. Tastes like a very watered down Pilsner Urquell.

M - Well carbonated, super light bodied.

D - Thats what the advertise! Don't believe it though.

BeerisfoodLLC, Sep 15, 2009

To be fair, how can anyone knock this because we all have drank a ton of this in our formative years. Did anyone really start their drinking careeres on Sierra, and never sway, that's hard to believe. It is a generic tasting beer with clever marketing and the best ditribution arm in the business.It just not a very good beer.

chickencoop, Sep 13, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Someone left this at my place, so I figured I'd review it.

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of fizzy white head That fades down pretty fast. No lace. Color is a clear light straw yellow.

Aroma: Very grainy with corn. Light dull hops. Yep, that's about it.

Taste: very bland. big grain flavor with lame hops. Corn on the side. Not something I am enjoying at all.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp. An extremely light body with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a grainy dry aftertaste.

Overall, not something I enjoy drinking. I will throw a pickle in this one to give it a little more flavor. This beer is not my type of thing. I won't drink this one unless someone offers me one.

mothman, Sep 13, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +66.5%

12oz can, born 8/25/09 into a Duvel tulip (gotta give it a chance, right?)

A: Typical light beer: clear, light yellow color with abundant carbonation. A fairly aggressive pour yields only an inch and half of coarse white foam that dissipates pretty quickly into a thin cap, leaving no lace whatsoever. Boring, but not unexpected.

S: I just finished having a Coors Light (yeah, I know, but I've got to review them some time), and this is light years better. Pretty much all adjunct aromas, but BL has a nice clean rice aroma - sweet but balanced, light but appreciable. It doesn't smell a bit like beer, of course, but it honestly doesn't smell that bad.

T: Tastes like...drinkability. Clean, fresh, sweet, crisp. Like the smell, nothing whatsoever like actual beer, but not unpleasant. When it comes to the big boys of the light beer category, Bud clearly does the best job creating an inoffensive swill. Watery, yet still reasonably flavorful.

M: Thoroughly boring; thin as water, but over-carbonated. Not so good.

D: This would appear to be BL's sure-fire category, right? Actually, yes. As laughable as "drinkability" is as a marketing campaign, there's no denying that this beer is easy to drink in copiously large quantities (the local BL distributor sponsors my rugby team, so I know this from far too much experience - man I wish we could be sponsored by DFH!). Not quite as watery as Coors Light, though, so I don't think this is quite the most drinkable beer in it's category.

Notes: Of the big three macro light beers, this is definitely my favorite. Miller tries to taste like actual beer, but only succeeds in tasting like the shittiest beer possible. Bud and Coors, on the other hand, try to make a beverage that combines a trace amount of alcohol with the mildest grainy flavor possible. Of this approach, Bud clearly does the better job. While not worthy of even the remotest amount of actual respect, BL is my go-to beer when I simply have to be drinking a light macro.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 09, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Poures a crystal clear straw yellow with a compact head that dissapates quickly.

Not much of an aroma to speak of, other than a fainnt skunky smell. Taste, well, there's not much there, watered down and somehow that skunky (Maybe rubbery is a better description) aroma seems to manifest itself in the flavor. Thin bodied w/ high carbonation, the only real purpose for this beer is for getting drunk or for people who don't know any better, because you definetely wouldn't drink it for flavor. Oh yeah it gets nastier as it warms up too, it needs to be drunk ice cold.

In essence, this stuff is bad, even for cheap light beer this stuff is bad. Miller light is better, coors light is better, even Natty Light is better. But of course, this is the #1 beer in the world.

ghebb, Sep 06, 2009
1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

I was given this beer for free at a ball game by a family member (who thought he was doing me a favor by buying it for me...and I appreciated the gesture).

Appearance: Very pale yellow, highly carbonated, with minimal head and no lacing on the plastic cup it was in.

Smell: Faintly sour and vaguely malty.

Taste: No hops, mostly weak malts and water...very bland and watery. Slight metallic taste. Became almost toxic tasting as it got warmer.

Mouth feel: Like carbonated water. weak and fizzy.

Drinkability: Uh, no. Sorry, but this is everything that is wrong with American macro brews. Watery, terrible (and almost non-existent) flavors and just a waste of time. Just another reminder of why I have NEVER been a drinker of light beers in my life. Hate the stuff, especially the big macros like Coors, Miller and Bud. It's just watered down bad beer. Yuck.

ChopperSmith, Sep 05, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Not sure why this is so popular, marketing I guess. Doesn't exactly look like a beer but it looks like it hopes to wish to want to be a beer some day. I gave it the extra .5 on appearance because it had some bubbles in it. Tastes and smells like not a whole lot, maybe like somebody filled half the glass with a very light pilsner and than filled the rest of the glass with water. There's a slight trace of some grainy like flavors but even then they aren't very good, whatever they are.

apbarwood, Sep 04, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had a pitcher of this tonight with some pizza. Pretty much the color of piss with a light a bubbly head. To be honest, I think the only reason I actually drink Bud light is because everyone does 5$ pitchers of it and being a cheap college kid thats a pretty good deal. Make sure you have some food (pizza) to wash it down with. I have to agree, calling this a beer could probably be considered a misdemeanor.

sgtpepper420, Sep 02, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Had this beer last night to compare to the pilsner urquel. I'll be completely honest. Calling this swill beer is a stretch. At best it barely qualifies.

BL pours a very light gold color with almost no head retention or lacing. One minute after pouring this crap into the glass it had no head, no lacing, and virutally no carbonation. It looks like a glass of lightly yellow colored tap water. A urine sample is more attractive looking than this stuff. On the nose I get some light sweet canned corn, and that's pretty much it. On the palate, the swill actually had a bit more flavor then I expected. It tasted like carbonated sweet corn, mixed with a lot of seltzer water. There is some prickliness on the tongue from the seltzer water like flavor.

Aside from the fact that there's no more then minimal flavor, there's something of a "gasiness" from the seltzer water carbonation that quickly made me feel a bit bloated. Really, this swill is pretty much undrinkable, and is not something I would ever order again. The fact that many people drink this all the time is proof positive that you can become accustomed to drinking pretty much anything.

Awful stuff.

John_M, Aug 31, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +154.1%

one of my fav beers...i see a bud light i think of cookouts,horseshoes,great times with family and friends.a fresh bud light the taste is great not over powerin and drinks so smooth..and dosent give u a hang over the next day ilike some other beers...bud light for the win!!!

jpgoodin, Aug 29, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +42.2%

It is what it is. Going solely off the style, I've had plenty that are worse. Nice for yard work, golfing, or beer pong. Tastes the same from 1st to last. It has its place in my drinking rotation...afterall, I can't sit and pound down DIPAs during a 5 hour marathon NASCAR race!

alkemy, Aug 21, 2009
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

Diet beer tastes like diet beer. Lack of color to match the lack of taste. It does have alot of carbonation combined with the lack of flavor combine well on a hot day to be a better alternative to selzer wtaer to quench your thirst. Not a good beer, but not totally bad either.

1santore, Aug 08, 2009
1.98/5  rDev +7%

Pale golden yellow. Smells of sweet fermented rice with a little skunky lemon. Tastes like nothing: beer water, sweat? Mouthfeel is like sparkling water. Drinkability is high, but why? Do not understand why people would drink this. What's to like? Drink water if you are thirsty.

JRhode, Aug 06, 2009
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours yellow, fizzy, no real aroma, beer tasted watered down, fizz, can hardly tell this is a beer. I actually thought this was a diet pepsi and accidently opened it. i think diet pepsi has more taste. It's kind of refreshing, and it is easy to drink but has no real flavor.

What upsets me is 95% of the beer sold in America is bud/miller/cools light! With such amazing beer brewed in this country it's so sad that this is what most people drink.

fbinla, Aug 05, 2009
2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

This is the beer of choice of my friends. It pours pale yellow, almost looking like fizzy piss. All I smell is water with a faint hint of beer flavor. The taste is crisp, yet bland. There is not much to say about this beer. The mouthfeel is non-existent. It's there and gone before you know it. Drinkability is good though. If you want to watch a ballgame, get it, you can actually stand the agony of defeat if you have enough of these...

WYVYRN527, Aug 02, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Ok. This honestly tastes like watered-down Budweiser. It is not worth the time dissecting such a one-dimensional beer. It can be refreshing on a hot day, I can say that much. But this beer is not one to reach for if one is seeking aroma, taste and/or mouthfeel.

jgasparine, Jul 28, 2009