Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
BirdFlu

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Oh man, where do you even start?.. From it's pale, straw colored appearance to it's total lack of any hint of the ingredients that make beer in it's flavor or aroma, this truly is a mockery of beer. What even is there in the aroma or flavor? A hint of corn and wheat? That's it. Here ya go, enjoy your corn drink. I mean, sure, it's got a very thin mouth feel and I guess if it's cold and you are thirsty it's better than drinking your own saliva, but I'm pressed to find any other highlights to this stuff. At the same time, part of me isn't surprised at all that this is the most popular beer in America. You know what it's like? I live right outside NYC, so I've always had access to the best pizza on earth. When I travel to some other parts of the country the food they offer under the guise of "pizza" is insulting, at best. So what becomes the best pizza available in such areas? Pizza Hut or Dominoes or whatever. Technically, it's made with the same ingredients, but to say it's the same food as the pizza you can get around here is just a shocking, confusing statement. Bud light (and the other macros mostly) is the pizza hut of beer. If you've never had anything better, then sure, you may think it's a real treat. But if you have been exposed to real beer, well, then this shouldn't even be a discussion.
If you could somehow drink the terrible color "whitish-yellow", it would be just like drinking bud light.

12-06-2008 16:40:47 | More by BirdFlu
CrellMoset

2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle courtesy of a friend, poured into a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: An incredibly light, pale straw yellow - completely and entirely crystal clear - with tons of big, fizzy bubbles. A rather aggressive pour yielded a half-finger, snow white head that faded incredibly fast, leaves barely any film, practically no ring of lace, and absolutely no lacing on the sides of the glass. Like the urine of a well-hydrated man. Or woman.

Aroma: Pale, plain, simple sweetness with a corny edge. There are a few chemically notes as well, vegetal perhaps. Nothing unpleasant, but no complexity, no depth, no hop presence of which to speak. It's just not very good.

Taste: A faint, almost imperceptible bitterness that in any other beer would be absolutely unnoticeable more than holds its own against a pale, cereal grain sweetness. Definite notes of corny sweetness. No hop presence. Not much of anything.

Mouthfeel: Way too overcarbonated, leading to a rough, uneven, fluffy, bubbly mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Decently drinkable, but I'd prefer water. It's not unpleasant or offensive, nor harsh or chemically, it's just not very good. Pass on this one.

12-06-2008 05:21:25 | More by CrellMoset
EGledhill

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to the Official BA gutter slut Patronwizard for this extra in our trade received today. You suck.

Poured into Hamms pint glass. (I didn't want to stain any of my good glasses by pouring this into them)

A. Poured it straight down the middle of the glass. It looks like there was a bit of dish soap in the glass, and then someone pissed into it. foamy head and a yellow body. looks like piss

S. Smell? What smell? smells like watered down corn maybe. What you can smell is horrible. I'd rather sniff hot garbage

T. HEY!!! Someone poured water in my glass. This shit sucks. No flavor, moderate carbonation. I think... No wait I know I'd rather drink pickle juice

M. Mouthfeel like water, but carbonation tells you otherwise.

D. I dunno why you'd wanna drink this. A bet maybe. But drinkability has gotta be pretty fucking awesome. I've crushed a can of this since starting this review and don't feel shit. In fact I think I'm still thirsty.

Vic, you're an a$$hole for sending this. I'm sure your fridge is stocked full of it. I hope all your relatives buy you a case of this for Christmas.

12-06-2008 05:03:52 | More by EGledhill
magictrokini

1.85/5  rDev 0%

Possibly the best beer one can obtain, in college. Perfect to get faced with as the hangover is not as bad as Miller or Coors. Again, the pour is fizzy yellow water. The taste is more watered down corn and rice, but with extra corn syrup. Do-able, not preferable.

12-04-2008 23:11:13 | More by magictrokini
kickapoodude

Alaska

Why do we even do this to ourselves? This is what we are rising up against. But this is the optimal light american lager: meant to be conumed in great amounts while building a tree house, watching a baseball game or playing a softball game. It's good for what it is, but what it is is not good. It's like a bad handjob: ypu gotta appreciate what happening, but ti's pretty awful and you just want it over with.

12-03-2008 22:28:02 | More by kickapoodude
Bagman007

2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Served in a can. One of the most popular, if not THE most popular beer in America. While Light Lager's aren't exactly my favorite beer, Bud Light isn't bad. It's the ideal definition of a watered down beer. Doesn't really have much of a taste to it. It'll get you drunk, but I wouldn't drink it for the taste. I prefer this over Miller Light, Coors Light, and Budweiser. Definitely a very drinkable beer in large quantities and definitely much better than the Keystone and Natty's of the world.

12-02-2008 19:21:08 | More by Bagman007
PhillyStyle

Georgia

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

Served on-tap at a bowling alley (i know, what could I really expect):

This beer is one of beers that reminds me as to why when I got older I promised myself that I would drink better beer. We got a pitcher, as the others didn't want Bud, which I would have preferred, poured half a cup and proceeded to slow drink the thing all night, as I could barely stomach it. It was pale yellow in color with a huge head, that was gone in 15 seconds or less, it had a faint grainy smell to it, same with the taste, no real flavor to it. Like I said I could only handle half a cup. Stay away.

12-01-2008 22:54:06 | More by PhillyStyle
cottonkoozie

2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

A - Not impressed describes it perfectly. Thick foamy white head that is gone in probably 30 seconds, and thats with a rough pour. Very pale yellow, looks watery.

S - Smell is almost non-existant. What little there is is pretty much all cereal grains. No real balance here.

T - Taste I'm gonna give a 2.5. Really it depends on whether this beer is in can or on-tap. Can I would give a 2.0. It has a watered down taste, and can be a little unpleasantly bitter since there is nothing to balance the bitterness. On-tap however, I would give this beer a 3.0. This is one of those beers that taste much better on-tap. While it is still watery, it isn't any more than any other american macro light lager. It has more taste when on tap, and the bitterness is not as overpowering over other flavors.

M - Not a bad mouthfeel, but not good either. A little below average just because it is watery, and feels watered down.

D - One thing the commercials have right. This beer excells at drinkability. I could throw this one back all night no problems.

I think this is the first beer I ever had in high school. Used to drink these all the time and thought they were the best thing ever. Now I'm still only in college and I usually avoid it. I get it now from time to time on tap, or if its on sale, but I have found that there are much better alternatives. This is a party/tailgating/beer pong beer and not much more, and I would personally choose natty light for those just because its cheaper and honestly less watered down tasting and a better tasting beer. Bud light is not really a bad beer, its just not that good.

12-01-2008 19:47:19 | More by cottonkoozie
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

This is it! The pinnacle...the true KING of beer's, the best selling beer on the Planet!!!!

I feel funny even pouring this out of the can. It appears to be a very pale, gold-ish color with crispy carbonation and a thin white head that is ostly bubbles, it doesn't exactly form a true head.

The aroma is a mild to sweet scented malt with aluminum and nickle, strange bitterness on the nose, tingly. The lack of aroma's is alarming to say the least.

The flavor is mostly a watery aluminum malt with a sweet, lingering flavor that ends up bitter, sour with more metals. The bitterness keeps from going any further.

Overall sounds pretty good doesn't it???(if your a thirsty robot. but the funny thing is millions of folks love this stuff. but then again, millions of people like diet pepsi too!!

11-29-2008 23:15:32 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
About2Crash

Arizona

2.45/5  rDev +32.4%

A. Well, it's in a can and it was given to me from a friend instead of gas money... I would have rather taken the gas money, but oh well.

S. Smells like a beer.

T. Tastes like a beer. The best way to describe it is that it tastes like any college party.

M. Doesn't taste "bad" per se, but it doesn't taste good either. There is none of the revolting sewage that people claim, it just tastes bland and has barely any flavor. For something to taste bad it has to have a flavor.

D. I have to admit, these things are drinkable. Drinkable in that it is easy to put 6 or more away in an hour at a party or during a game of beer pong. I would personally never pay for the beer unless it was all there was, but I would not turn away a free one.

Better than Miller's light beer, but I prefer Coors if we are talking about the big 3.

11-28-2008 07:01:15 | More by About2Crash
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

341ml bottle. At a loud metal concert, I find myself very thirsty, and with the option of paying 3 bucks for a bottle of water, or 5 for this particular beer. So, went my thought pattern, when else will I have a chance (or desire) to review Bud Light? Two birds with one stone, as it were. The bottle is actually quite decent looking, sleek. At least I was able to get a glass to go with it.

This beer pours a crystal clear, very pale golden straw colour, with three fingers of thinly foamy, weakly puffy bone white head, which disappears rather hastily in front of my eyes, leaving little beyond a small spray of specked lace around the glass as it quickly sinks away.

It smells, well, the few times that I've been able to discern an aroma from water, well, that's what this smells like - maybe that water was a little too hard, and should be tested at the same rate - very faint, musty grain is all I'm really getting now. The taste is pretty much thin corn syrup, the water left over after straining rice, and nothing else, hops or otherwise.

The carbonation is quite anemic, the body thin and lightweight, by design, and smooth by the same boardroom paradigm. It finishes generally off-dry, a subtle grainy sweetness messing with an otherwise straight up filtered water experience.

Well, it sure goes down, like, um, you guessed it. I can't fault this for tasting bad, as it really is the picture of flavour neutrality, like too many other widely available products that I will refrain from naming here. What I can't seem to grok is drinking a case of these over an evening's activities - I'd much prefer a few well-made strong drinks, with unadulterated water in between.

11-28-2008 06:09:44 | More by biboergosum
theboozecruise

Louisiana

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Bud Light has proven to me, once again, to be nothing more than a good college drinking game beer. Too bad I'm no longer in college, but still, if I'm buying in mass quantities for friends that don't appreciate better beer, Bud Light will work.

One day I'll get my old man to try something different... one day.

11-26-2008 14:02:18 | More by theboozecruise
Tone

Missouri

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

A light amber color (almost too pale) that appears clear. A light head with little if no lacing. Weak lager flavor that is bitter in the aftertaste. Light, crisp mouth-feel and is a little too carbonated. Overall a beer the might be good for getting drunk but not too quickly. Not a beer too enjoy for flavor - would not recommend.

11-25-2008 02:23:48 | More by Tone
Goliath

1.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow color with a thin foamy bright white head. Terrible retention and no lacing.

The aroma is really pretty bad. It's slightly sweet, with some pale pils malt that are kind of bready. It's got a bit of a odd sour grain thing going on too.

The taste is really not very good. It's slightly sweet. It's indistinct at best, I suppose corn husk could be said. But there's nothing to it. Once you swallow, there is no finish, your palate is clean. A little bit of a musty grain kind of presents itself here and there.

The mouthfeel is terrible. Thin and watery with extreme carbonation. Very fizzy.

Drinkability is low. You could argue sessionability because of low alc etc, but I can't see drinking these in bulk anymore unless I'm trying to get hammered. There's more flavorful ways to do that anyway, so I think next time I'll leave Bud Light on the shelves.

11-07-2008 16:24:35 | More by Goliath
ncbeermonger

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

yuk

I am not a fan of this or any light lager, but I must say this is one of my least favorite beers ever

The hue is nearly see through, and unimpressive.

There is no smell of hops, just the smell of a poor beer

The taste is anything but pleasant, even as light american lagers go. You can do better than this no doubt

the mouth feel is not even crisp, this would have to be damn near frozen for me to drink it, even if I was famished!

the mouthfeel is bad, and the drinability is as poor as any beverage alcoholic or not as I have ever tasted.

10-29-2008 05:05:32 | More by ncbeermonger
Magpie14

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

A: yellow, bleached straw color with lively carbonation. Looks washed out in the glass, no head.

S: grains, corn. Overall not much (i smell metal and wet cardboard)

T: hulking grainy taste, dry, and thin...extremely carbonated

M: watery and super light

D: I suppose ice cold this beer will work. For me it is instant headache if I consume more than two. A real frowzy beer. For the money I can hit the Strohs, High Life, or PBR and get a winner, sorry bud.

10-26-2008 05:36:11 | More by Magpie14
LordofTime25

Iowa

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Pours very clear and is a very light yellow. High carbination!!

There is almost no smell to this beer!

You might as well drink a glass of water with some wheaties in it.

Feel watery in the mouth with lots of carbination bubbles.

I really don't recomend this beer.

10-25-2008 03:06:35 | More by LordofTime25
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

This beer is absolutely horrible. I will never place this beer in my mouth again. The color is like piss and the taste is not much far removed. The carbonation and corn flavanols give this beer a horrible beginning, middle, and disguisting after taste that was only ended by my Samuel Adams Boston Ale.

10-25-2008 02:34:11 | More by PerzentRizen
TMinton22

2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

A- Pours a very, very clear, very, very pale yellow color with a one finger white head that dissipates almost immediately.

S- smells like your very common beers

T- Very watery. Thankfully there's not a whole lot to the taste, otherwise it would be unbearable. Watered down Budweiser.

M- Very thin and watery.

D- Better than regular Bud. At least I can tolerate Bud Light. I drink this beer to get wasted there's no other good purpose for it.

10-24-2008 13:23:00 | More by TMinton22
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Appearance: Crystal clear, off white Perfect to the style.

Smell: No hops, no malts. Par with style but not to my liking.

Taste: What Taste? Bland. Very bland even to the style.

Mouthfeel: Very light. Very carbed. Meets style guidelines.

Drinkability: Better than water but not my preference

10-18-2008 21:37:40 | More by Squelch
ranneyj2

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

I know it is easy to risk ones "beerness" status when giving a budget beer anything over a 2.0, but honestly I believe the AB got it right with their new commercial campaign. The difference is drinkability and Bud Light has it. Unlike Miller Lite, which needs to be numbingly cold, BL can actually move to the not freezing side and still be pretty good. Everyone needs a good budget beer, for me BL provides that

10-18-2008 21:28:38 | More by ranneyj2
Beernoisseur

Utah

2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

It's not God awful, like some people think, but it's certainly not amazing. However, one must remember that you are comsuming a light beer. Typically, light beers are something of a waste of calories, simply because they are not THAT many less calories. for what you lose in flavor and complexity, the minor reduction in calories (maybe 15%) is not worth it.

It's a light straw yellow. It smells like nothing and a tiny touch of iron-ish metallic. it tastes like it was made with unsweetened cornflakes(which is not necessarily horrible if that's what you're looking for). It feels decent in my mouth, and I could drink them one after another, but if I was going to do that, I would drink a Session lager. it's only 20 more calories, and it's about 20 times better.

10-18-2008 03:33:26 | More by Beernoisseur
JRed

2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Golden transparent hue with frothy head. Almost no aroma whatsoever that I can determine. Tastes almost as bland as the aroma but a few hop flavors show through as well as some grains. This is the most watered down beer I have had among the Miller-Coors and Anheuser-Busch companies.

10-16-2008 01:41:11 | More by JRed
CampusCrew

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%

appearance: light yellow to almost clear

smell: slight hops, but barely smelled like beer

taste: Little to none, like a rice lager, zero taste

mouthfeel: watery and tasteless

drinkability: very easy, goes down easier than water. good for drinking games

10-15-2008 17:10:14 | More by CampusCrew
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow. Carbonation is quite active, and a rather large, soapy head bubbles up and stays briefly. Actually a little bit of lacing.

S: Very clean, light cereal grains and a slightly astringent whiff of alcohol.

T: Very thin malts, a dry, seltzery pucker, and a bit of grain husk. It does taste sort of like a beer, which is a little more than you could say for something like Coors Light or the bargain basement college party light beers, but it still doesn't taste good by any stretch of the imagination.

M: Quite dry and very seltzery. Honestly, it feels more like soda than a beer. Poorly balanced, in my opinion.

D: Well, it's certainly inoffensive, at least in the sense that it contains absolutely zero off flavors, or flavors of any sort actually. It would be refreshing on a hot day, but that's about the only use for this beer.

10-11-2008 21:05:45 | More by Clydesdale