Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a VERY pale golden color, almost clear. Has a very small, fizzy head that dissipates to practically nothing and leaves no discernible lacing.

Smell: A musty graininess backed by a slight sweetness is really the only smell that comes out here.

Taste: This is one of the few beers that I have to describe as gross. It has a sickening sweetness to it and almost no hop character to speak of. Terrible.

Mouthfeel: Has the feel and consistency of sparkling water.

Drinkability: A thoroughly revolting beer. This beer cuts out all flavor in favor of cutting calories. I can't see myself drinking this again; I would probably drink just about anything else rather than have this again.

wahhmaster, Oct 16, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

So before I start my review, I must say I feel odd reviewing this, but as I am sure this is a beer I have drank thousands of in my life I feel obligated to show myself what I think of it

A- Yellow, big but thin head that goes away like soda, leaves no lacing

S- Not even sure what to call it, there is a smell but all i can think is stale beer

T- plain, lager, little bit of "stuff" which is probably yeast,corn and a little malt. no bitterness or hops to be seen

M- Light, watery, medium carbonation

D- well this is drinkable, and that's about it. It is actually quite refreshing and can be drank non-stop all night

Spiekerbox, Oct 16, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -20%

A- Amazingly Pale yellow colour with lots of visible carbonation. Can see clear through the beer; is there anything to this? no head with very little lacing.

S- Very little to no smell. A hint of some light malts and maybe a hint of yeast. A very tiny hint of citrus; almost undetectable.

T- Flavour is almost non-existent. Very light malt and yeast flavours. No citrus falvour at all. Almost tastes like drinking some tonic water; there is flavour, but barely any to speak of at all.

D- I had drank all my Guinness (my usual macro drinking beer) and my parents gave me this. I accepted grudgingly and thought I'd review it. I can't believe they enjoy drinking this.

case4816, Oct 12, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Yellow with some carbonation.

Smell: Not a whole lot of smell. Smells sort of like rice.

Taste: Nothing, this is moderately enhanced water...no wait, I'd rather drink water.

Drinkability: It's kind of drinkable. This is the sort of thing I would drink with food, not on its own.

Great beer for someone who wants to get drunk, bad for someone who wants flavor.

wmtxbb, Oct 09, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

A - Very light and pale. Interestingly, it exits my body slightly darker than it goes in.

S - Do you really think I sit and sniff my bud light? Get real!

T - What's taste?

M - Ever have a drink of water? Yeah sorta like that

D - The one category I can't slam it for. It's about as drinkable as water. Probably because there isn't much more to it.

yankiac, Oct 05, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

I am sure everyone in the entire world has had Bud Light. Every time I go to a bar it is the beer I see most consumers drinking. Okay -- on to the review.
Pours a slight yellowish color with a sickly white head and vast carbonation.
Smells boozy and light.
Tastes of corn and slight barley.
Mouthfeel is very thin as with many mass produced beers.
Drinkable if you are drinking just for the buzz.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 02, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

Two cans poured into a big mug.

An inch of fluffy white head that dies down to a slim layer of foam on top then down to a ring of foam around the edge of the glass. No lacing left behind.

Smells of some rice and grain. Tiniest hint of fruity lager esters. Hardly smells like anything.

Tastes of almost nothing. Some grain. Just a bit floral and fruity.

Well carbonated. Extremely light bodied. So well carbonated it's almost spicy.

It pretty much tastes like water with some grain and rice and extremely light floral hops. It's not bad. There's just really nothing to it.

billshmeinke, Oct 02, 2010

Looks like Pee...
Smells like it...
Not sure what Pee tastes like but I am sure this is very close.
There are more bubbles then any thing else. Strait trash.
I wouldn't let my dog drink this beer.
I really actually don't even consider this to be beer.

exodus1369, Sep 29, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cracks open and pours a transparent golden yellow with lots of bubbles and a bright white head which climbs 2 fingers high and then quickly diminishes. smells of an American light adjunct lager, a hint of yeast but mainly rice and corn smells, also hints of flowery scents. Tastes pretty decent for an adjunct beer, sweet with heavy notes of grain and cereal. the carbonation is just right, but maybe a bit too intense, giving the beer a kick when you pour back a big sip of it. very bland and average I must say though, nothing stands out to me in the flavor. Mouthfeel is nice... Cold, sweet, and bubbly. I rated a 4 for drinkablity because it is definately a beer that just about anybody could enjoy a few or more of without getting bogged down and full too quickly. overall not bad, I think this would be a good beer drink anytime but probably wont be very enjoyable without pizza or something to add a little flavor between sips.

Tundruth, Sep 28, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +85.4%

Another $2 pint at Champions.

A The lager is as pale as its big brother, a straw color that struggles for a semblance of color. Like yellow food coloring but watered down. A white head rests atop it.

S: The nose is mildly fruity and generally very light. That lightness is a huge difference between Budweiser (good) and this (not so).

T: Very light, the lager trends towards tasteless. There are fruity adjunct flavors, a bit of creamed corn and rice, to spice things up. Hops are nowhere to be seen or tasted. The lightness is a distraction.

M: There isn't much mouthfeel here, a bit of sweetness and then nothing.

D: Easy to drink but I'm not sure that I'd want to. I'd advocate Budweiser over the lite version 99 times out of 100.

akorsak, Sep 26, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Let's face it, Bud light is not mean to be enjoyed, or respected--for that matter. It is meant to be guzzled down your esophagus as easily as possible hence Anheuser-Busch's 'Superior Drink-ability' marketing slogan.

In all fairness Bud light has an unoffensive taste, much better than Keystone, Coors, etc. Like any cheap beer, Bud light taste's like its been skunked 5 min after opening. All in all, buy better beer and drink less, your liver will thank you.

odysseus430, Sep 26, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

One of my staples. I don't know why.

Pours a lovely dehydrated urine color. The kind of urine you get after roofing all day with no drink. Thin, awesome looking, Joy dish soapy head. Lacing looks like soap scum from bath water. Lovely.

Smells of stale wet clothes. The same smell you get when you leave 'em in the washer for 2 days and then remember to take 'em out. Badass!!

Tastes the same way. Chew on a old wet towel Jerry Tarkanian style and that is the exact same taste.

Feels like thin diet soda in the mouth. Overly carbonated Diet Mt. Dew mouthfeel.

I still like this beer. Lots of fond memories come from it. Like the time Angus Young took a drink from my cup at the AC/DC concert. Not relevant to the review, I just like telling that story.

livewire78, Sep 25, 2010
1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

What can one say about Bud Light? Not a whole lot here. Probably the most nonchalant beer ever, although this one seems to have a little more bite than usual. She's pretty yellow, not unlike urine. It tastes OK, and goes down fairly easy. You won't even notice it when you drink it, which isn't always a bad thing.

chadjulius, Sep 24, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in pint glass poured from a table tapper.

First off I'll start by saying that I'm well aware that there are worse beers out there. This beer was free because we won it during trivia. The choices we were faced with was Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light, or no free beer. Faced that horrid decision we settled for this as the upset consensus pick.

Now to the beer. It pours a extraordinarily light pale golden as if water was poured into already lightened beer. The head is a decent white foam that fades quite rapidly. I smelled almost nothing, which I've learned isn't the worst thing. What I do pick up is a bit of corn and wheat sugar and a little bit of sour. The taste is predominately the sweeter corn like tastes that are the preference of many redneck. There is also the bitter tasting backer which i can only assume is the flavor derived from trying to smooth out and lager mass produced grains that are of lower quality. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated as I would expect from the very light body. The drinkability depends on your personal preference. While it may be physically easy to drink this, the more you consume of it the more you will hate your life. And as a funny side note this probably has a similar amount of sugar per volume as Guinness. So why would you choose this? There are cheaper things out there if cost is the issue. Perhaps this is the minimum level of quality people can tolerate drinking in mass quantities. A good standard to note as I soon shall accompany TMoney2591 in Swill Tour 2010.

Vdubb86, Sep 23, 2010
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Who doesn't love free table-tappers? If only we won Quizzo more often... Anyway, it was inevitable this would be done, so let's just get down to it. Consider it a preface to Swill Tour 2010 (upcoming...trust me, it shall be painful).

It pours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose is very weak, comprising some very light wheat, rice, and corn syrup notes. The taste ain't much better, with bad blackened wheat and puffed rice dominating the proceedings, while some mildly sweet corn syrup tries vainly to clean things up a bit. (I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it made sense while I typed it.) The body seems infused with helium, with a moderate carbonation and a rather watery feel. Y'know, I have no idea why light beer was invented. Seriously, this just ain't good at all.

TMoney2591, Sep 23, 2010
2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

The only pro's about Bud Light is that it:
1 - Relatively cheap.
2 - Great for people new to beer because it tastes like water.
3 - It'll get you drunk.
4 - Easy to hand to anyone because of its neutral almost non-existent flavor. You go to a cookout, no one will say no to a Bud, where as they might not want something heavy like a Guinness.

The cons?
Everything else.
#2 listed above: not good for people who enjoy beer.
Looks like water.
Has no consistency.
Utter lack of character.
Is rather generic - can't tell the difference between many beers in its peer group.
Etc.

iSTOLEyourPOPE, Sep 20, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Light, almost clear with a yellow tinge.

S- Slightly stale smell with a lingering sower sent

T- Not very impressive, stale wheat taste.

M- slightly strong carbonation, easy to drink but not my beer of choice.

D- Easy to drink. Its a cheep beer, good to drink if there's nothing else.

HUXC, Sep 16, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - The beer is crystal-clear and a light yellow color with maybe a bit of gold. The head is nonexistent. Pure white foam appears as it is poured, and then is gone immediately.

S - Almost no aroma. Faint noble hops and nothing else.

T - Tastes are faint and muted. No malt. Some mild hop bitterness and very mild taste. No alcohol. A corn or rice note at the end.

M - Light body lightened even more by carbonation. Some drying astringency at the end of the swallow.

D - This is drinkable in the sense that nothing is stopping you from having another (heavy body, alcohol burn, etc.). But why would you want to? Nothing is off or offensive here; it's just too much of nothing.

Radome, Sep 12, 2010
2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

A. straw yellow maybe lighter than that and head that disappears as fast as it forms

S. hint of something of a hop in water

T. light malts and water

m. heavy carbonation water like

D. very drinkable in large amounts

typical american light beer cheap enough to drink daily to get buzzed.

SteelKettle, Sep 09, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: light straw yellow in color, 1 inch head, high carbonation, clear

Smell: grass and light semi-skunky grain

Taste: follows the nose--grass and light semi-skunky grain

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, slightly bitter, light bodied, watery

Drinkability: This one makes me wonder how they squeeze so much flavor into Coors Light. Even when grading to style this one is just not good. It is too light and the taste is very off putting. Amongst the big three US macro breweries this is the clear third in light lagers.

tigg924, Sep 07, 2010
2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

A-watered down apple juice with a dish soap look head that goes away not to be seen again
S-nothing of note slightly metallic
Taste-Again almost nothing like malt water very thin
M-watery and fizzy like drinking an alkaseltzer
D- You can chug this like no other

rcwhiteky, Sep 06, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -20%

473ml can poured into a pint glass. ABV marked as 4%.

A - Poured a clear pale yellow with a bubbly head that quickly vanished. No lacing.

S - Faint grains and water.

T - Very light adjunct notes and water. No hints of hops what so ever.

M - Watery and thin. Wife's reaction: "Well, it's cold!"

D - Drain pour. Just unsatisfying. There's nothing going on here but water and hints of something else. I'd rather have a ginger ale at this point, much more flavour.

decimator, Sep 05, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a ultra pale straw colored fluid with a mess of active carbonation that slowly falls to a quarter inch head. Little to none lacing.

S- Faint corn, grain and metallic scent on the nose.

T-M- Taste is heavily watered down corn and grains. Not even a touch of hop noticable. Has a sweet grainy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is of lightly carbonated stale water that taints the tongue.

D- Not my kind of light beer

harpus, Aug 31, 2010
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Even though I have drank this beer in nearly every delivery form (once out of a ceremonial "plunger" at Osan AB, Korea even) I chose "can" since this beer's only purpose is to satisfy the needs of one at a real beer pounding event, like before a NASCAR race, tailgating, large "get drunk" gatherings, etc.

A - Pale wee color if you made your wee with a dehydration rate of about 20%. I've seen more head on a glass of mineral water.

S - A little bit of smell that can actually make you thirsty for better beer. Kninda like getting a fleeting whiff of steak, then seeking out steak. There may be some hint of hops there, but it is almost immediately overwhelmed by the adjuncts used in the process

D - Like mentioned above, for heavy pounding only. If you seek out to drink this beer for taste alone, and are not dissatisfied, you really have no idea what good beer should taste like. This beer tastes a little like soured Perrier, if that's possible. There are hints of things that have a flavor, but I am not certain what those things were at one time.

M - It's wet...

D - Once again, for large scale drinking. Think "cooler" while floating down a river in a tube... No big deal if you spill some, don't want to get too wasted, good for chugging when you are thirsty. I do have these in my fridge most any time for friends and family that don't understand the whole "good beer" concept. I myself will even down a few early in the day when I haven't "committed" to actually drinking yet.

gopens44, Aug 30, 2010
2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

I am partially embarrased to admit Bud Light is almost always im my fridge. It's my wifes beer of choice and to be honest on rare occasion its mine too. Bud Light is wonderful for the fact after working outside in 95 degree tempetures I come home about as gross as you can possibly imagine, and I dont want to waste my good and wonderful beer on my compromised state, so i'll have a bud light. Goes down smooth as all hell, I'm pretty sure I can't even taste it anymore, and after one or two of these I'm certainly a bit relaxed, and ready to enjoy the fine beer waiting in the fridge for me.

callmeclemens, Aug 27, 2010