1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

12oz can poured into nothing as I drank this str8 from the source. Did not check for a bottle date

A- Looking into the can i see the apparent stray hay like yellow color which is so clear that i can see the bottom of the can. Some slight fizz and white bubbles come and go as i shake the can some.

S- Smells like extremely faded hops plus corn and a very minimal malt presence. A bit of a grassy floral scent that is not to pleasing. Nothing much to smell at basically.

T- Like carbonated water with some mild alcohol bite in the end. The same floral smell is noted in the taste while any hops or malt need to be focused on to be picked up on. A bunch of corn and rice is interweaved with some weak yeast. A typical American light lager, nothing special.

M- Feels like carbonated water as well. I can nearly chug this like it was h20 straight out of the bottle. Bud Light has a very thin body and light carbonation. A bit of unpleasant bitterness comes with excessive chugging. To me Bud light out of a can is much more refreshing than other service types.

D- The low ABV make this very sessionable but the flavor makes it undesirable. I could go through quite a number of cans at once but i would not be able to look at myself in the mirror afterwards. With that said this beer has a place in the market and serves it's purpose to supply the masses with something quick and easy.

BARFLYB, Jan 26, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +58.4%

Had one of these at a friend's gathering yesterday and I was surprised it wasn't unpleasant like I remember Miller Lite or Budweiser being. So, for the sake of science, I went off to the grocery store to review me some Bud Light. This is what the American people asked for, and so this is what we have.

Born on 03JAN09.

Nose is sweet-smelling and grainy. Toasty apple sweetness, mild nut/biscuit notes, and some floral hop notions. Smells pretty good.

Pours a very pale straw color, excellent clarity, mild head with a short lived frothy crema. Looks okay - kind of like a watered down sparkling apple juice.

A little dry toasty warmth, and a little fruity sweetness. Somewhat grainy - notes of corn (especially in aftertaste). Fairly clean palate overall and highly drinkable. Almost no unpleasant flavors or sensations. Thin body, lots of carbonation. Tastes pretty good for a Light Macro Lager. Feels pretty good. Good drinkability.

It's not offensive, it just lacks any interest. It's refreshing and only slightly filling. I'm surprised it doesn't cost less than it does. I paid about 8.7c/oz. for a six pack. Miller High Life 24 packs were on sale for 7.0c/oz, and the SamAdams/SierraNevada ran about 11.1c/oz at my local Tom Thumb. Cheaper, yes, but does it taste 8.7/11.1ths (78%) as good? Not to me. If you don't like Sam or Sierra, then Bud Light might taste better. Lucky you, I guess.

Drinking Bud Light is like test driving a Kia after having owned a real car.

MrHungryMonkey, Jan 26, 2009

A- pours a clear pale straw with a two finger foamyhead.

S- Almost nothing, a slight hint of dry sweetness.

T- Again, almost nothing. The slightest touch of a grainy rice maltiness.

M- A watery light body. Moderate carbonation.

D- OK for what it is.

JayNH, Jan 24, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Probably just beating a dead horse here... This was the choice beer of my social group in high school. I was thrilled to find out that there are other beers that don't taste like fizz water. It's one redeeming quality is that it doesn't taste bad, per se, so you can drink a lot of them fast, hence its popularity (that and advertising). Don't get this beer if you enjoy beer for its taste.

gatorjames85, Jan 24, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer isn't really worth a well detailed review. This beer along with a few other "light" American beers pretty much have the same impression on me. Iv wound up drinking this beer on many occasions and before I really started tasting beers I thought this wasn't bad.
The taste is that of water, its really only ok to use for beer pong.

teamhex, Jan 23, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I became a member this site because much like the rest of you i love and respect beer. therefore it causes me physical and emotional pain when i hear some knuckleheads say "Bud Light is the best beer in the world."

a good friend of mine's wife once said that "i just don't like flavored beer" anybody who drinks this swill on continuous basis must not like or respect beer at all.

thanks, i will now step down from my soap box.

tsparkinson, Jan 23, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow color and a thin consistency. There was a bit of head that quickly dissipated, and almost no lacing.

S: Didn't really smell like much of anything other than weak hops.

T: A typically thin, tasteless macro beer. Some light hops and malt. Might as well drink water.

M: An OK amount of carbonation and a dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: I had this beer while I was out one evening recently for the first time in probably 15 years. Now I remember why I hadn't had it in so long.

avalon07, Jan 21, 2009
2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Can't remember the last time I had a Bud Light. But, as luck would have it, the office's Pepsi machine was recently stocked with 12 oz. cans (replacing the 'V8', which apparently nobody but me bought). It's all in good fun, the machine's owner is a friend and co-worker. So today I salute you, 'Ms. Vending-Machine-Restocker-Gal'...

'Born On Date': 16DEC08

A: Yeah, I poured to a pint glass from the wide-mouthed can. Ridiculously pale straw-yellow, but crystal clear. Huge carbonation clings on the sides of the glass, rising quickly in a few streams. Fluffy head of snow-white frost tops out at nearly two-fingers, taking about five minutes to fall and fade completely. Really a pretty good-looking beer for the style.

S: A vague aroma of grass, slight honey sweetness, otherwise zilch. Not an 'off' smell, just doesn't smell like much of anything.

T: A little bready, but with lots of sweet 'adjunct' flavors: corn and rice in particular. The mildest of hoppy bitterness, more of an afterthought. A hint of salt? Weak.

M: Light body, watery but with a slightly sticky starchiness. Light carbonation and smooth (benign) feel.

D: Easy enough to gulp down and, I suppose, refreshing. Not my idea at all of what a beer 'should' be, but I suppose it has it's place in the world. Just not my world.

msubulldog25, Jan 14, 2009
1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

I had to drink this just to say I rated it,can from a friend.An ultra pale color pour with a thin fizzy head that dissapates very quickly,no lacing.Odd funky corn,barnyard aroma.Flavor of odd sweet metal,and pee.Over carbonated,and as it warms it takes on the aroma of baby vomit.

I outlawed this from my home years ago when AB was running that STUPID Real men of Genius add on the radio every two minutes or whatever STUPID,I will die of thirst before I ever buy a Bud Light ! Not because it tastes like crap but because their adds were so STUPID !

WakeandBake, Jan 11, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Re-review 09-19-2009

Poured from a can into a frosted pint glass.

The color is a very light yellow gold. Some bright white foamy head that stayed for a moment and then disapeared with no lacing.

The smell is a wet sponge smell, a little like a moist locker room with some hints of malty sweetness and some grainy rice or corn flavors.

The taste is a bit watery hops with a few hints at pea flavor and some corn or grain flavor again.

There are very few beers that I can not fathom ever having. Bud light is a beer that is just on the edge of that line.

This beer does live up to it's name, light. It is great to have a beer that is not too heavy for drinking in front of the grille in the hot summer.

Duhast500, Jan 08, 2009
1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

Was offered one of these as I watched the Sabres with family. Not much to get excited about here. Poured very clear with a diluted look to it. Smell was like a beer had been in the bottle, drained, rinsed, and then you get a slight whiff of beer type characteristics. Taste was what I remember and expected very watered down and not offensive. Doesn't exactly make me want to keep drinking. Mouthfeel is thin with some moderate carbonation...very light. Drinkability is low but I wouldn't be a jerk to family and refuse it. Michelob Ultra on th other hand would be refused at all costs.

cpn920, Jan 08, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A very light yellow, clear enough to see through with a short-lived head. Looks like ginger ale.

There is some citrus yet lacking in most smells. The hops are barely present and there is no sign of malt.

All of the flavors are very watered down but there is a distant hint of pine and citrus.

Light...very light. Nearly no carbonation. Almost like drinking water mixed with beer.

Superior...just kidding. Not much flavor, smell or happening in the beer so there is plenty left to be desired.

TheBear11D, Jan 07, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +55.7%

Before drinking this bottle, I had not consumed a Bud Light for quite some time. I was in the mood for something light and my mom brought by some "beer she had left over from the holidays" so I gave in a try. For what it is meant to be, it isn't bad. Went down smooth and didn't necessarily taste bad. We all know what a Bud Light looks like and tastes like, so I won't beat a dead horse here. BL is like water, but that's what it is supposed to be. Overall - I will drink this beer again in the summer, on a boat, in the sun. I could drink many of them without feeling full.

ghebel, Jan 07, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oh man. I can see the drinkability slapping me right in the face out of the glass. Pours a very light yellow with maybe a touch of green, exceptional clarity and a big poofy soapy head that dies down after a minute or two but actually has some retention. Aroma reminds me of smelling the inside of a beruit cup 2 days after anyone's played. This may be what they actually want it to smell like but my association of the aroma with actual garbage does not make me want to drink this. Decent malt flavor at first, give way to a slightly sweet, soapy, metallic taste. I am not completely repulsed by this beer, as I am with Miller Lite. Unfortunately, this beer still reeks of what would be the stale second runnings of what makes up a somewhat decent beer, even further thinned out with rice. Very smooth, dry finish with a pleasant husk flavor towards the end. Mouthfeel seems appropriate.. I've seen worse in other craft beers people claim are amazing. As for the famed drinkability of this, I just had 1/3 of a liter of it and will finish the bottle. But I could just as easily set it aside and not drink it.

wiseguy142, Jan 06, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

After 5 hours of job searching, I decided to further torture myself today by conducting a taste-off showdown between Coors Light and Bud Light.

Both beers were poured from their 16oz can into large pilsner style glasses. The Bud can has a Born on date from the middle of December, the Coors can from the middle of November.

I reviewed them simultaneously. Here are the results:

Appearance:

Both beers look absolutely identical. Crystal clear pale yellow bodies with a constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. Both displayed a creamy white head that required a 2 to 3 part pour. The head on both beers settled to a ring around the perimeter of the glass at approximately the same time.

To this point, I am convinced they are the same beer with different packaging.

Smell:

The Bud has a faint grainy aroma with the slightest hint of grassy hops.

The Coors has a similar aroma, but displays a minor note of a vomit like character that I detected when I reviewed a can of Fosters. Not sure what this is, but it is not pleasing.

Both beers' aromas are pitiful by any possible measurement, but I would put Bud's slightly higher than Coors'. The difference here is so minimal, that the small difference in bottling date and the conditions under which they were transported and stored could have made the difference.

Taste:

As expected, neither has much flavor, these are light lagers after all.

Bud has a soft grain flavor and I'm pretty sure I can taste the rice, though that could be more psychological. As in the aroma, a faint grassy hop note can be found on the finish. I get mild notes of lemon and honey as well.

Coors has a the same soft grain flavor, with possible rice character. It has perhaps a dash more hop flavor.

Bud Light and Coors Light taste very similar. I know that they have some differences, but the are som minor I am hard pressed to explain what they are. As I drink, the few differences I thought I had perceived between the two seem to disappear and I am left with my previous hypothesis: this is the same beer, just two different packages.

Mouthfeel:

Bud has a crisp, consistent and above all sharp carbonation that dominates not only this beer's feel, but also its flavor profile. Where one might find the balancing properties of hop bitterness, you will instead find the sharp bite of carbonation. Bursting bubbles slap themselves across your tongue. The finish is dry, weak and incredibly brief.

Coors has almost exactly the same feel, with perhaps a slightly creamier finish.

In my opinion, this over-carbonation prevents the consumer from getting a good handle on the flavor, but perhaps that is the point.

Drinkability:

Both beers are brewed for the same reasons: most American's want a beer with very little flavor and even fewer calories. They want something that is more refreshing than it is enjoyable. Something they can drink that they don't have to think about and they want it cheap. Both Coors Light and Bud Light have given conumers precicily what they asked for and for that they have made a great deal of money for their prospective companies. But what have they done for beer? Well, I'll will give them Born on/Bottled on dating, superior quality control and consistency of product, and they both have incredible distribution networks that smaller breweries rely on (For Example: in Denver, Oskar Blues is distributed by Coors). Of course we all know the harm they do to, but I say keep it up, for as long as Bud and Coors focus on their target market, smaller breweries will have plenty of un-satisfied beer drinkers to profit from.

But alas, I have deviated off topic. I conducted this little experiment to determine which of these beers I prefer to drink. I have failed. I would guess that these beers are 99% the same. The final 1% is so minor, so trivial, that my palate simply cannot provide a preference. More than anything, I find my self utterly confused by those people who exhibit a strong preference for one over the other. Successful marketing I suppose.

In conclusion, if you are looking for cheap lower calorie beer, let's face it, you could do much better for just a few cents more.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 05, 2009

I like many other have had this in the past. Well tonight I go over my cousins house who drinks this and I said what they hell, give me one so I can review it.

Poured this into a glass, it poured a very light pale yellow color with no head at all. You could see the bubbles flowing to the top.

I could not get anything at all for the smell. I had to work really hard. The only thing I got was some corn, grains.

There was no taste to it. It tasted just like carbonated water. I cant believe I drank this stuff for so long.

This beer only has one thing to it and that is for cheap mass consumption. Besides that, I cant see why people still drink this crap. It has no flavor whatsoever.

tr4nc3d, Jan 02, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Was hanging out with an old friend tonight. He claimed to me over the phone to be a "beer connoisseur" so I had high expectations. To my shock and surprise he had only Budweiser products! I laughed at him, but we managed to have a good time. Even bad beers are made better by a good and familiar environment. I'll try to review independent of the situation.

Budweiser 1 of 5 from "Budweiser at Ben's" Dec 20th 2008.

What can I say, looks, smells and tastes like a light beer. It has a good carbonation to it that mask's its lack of taste and substance. You really shouldn't expect much with a light beer to begin with, so that is where the lack of disappointment comes from. It's very easy to drink (but its very easy to drink water isn't it?) so thats a plus. Overall, not the worst light beer I've ever had, but I would never pay to drink it.

Mistofminn, Dec 20, 2008

Another fine example of why American macro beers are generally (garbage) ouside of the many fine craft brewers that are out there...

I have no idea why anywone would drink this stuff. I wouldn't even wash dishes in it.

Well I had afew left over from a big party and had to try one. Why even bother(?)

Do yourself a favor...leave these in the back of the fridge for later consideration.

Pure junk..

superswing123, Dec 19, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

So this is the little brother of Budweiser... or should I say, this is the little pansyass brother of Budweiser. Poured a pale straw yellow with a slight foam of a head that nearly disappeared after I poured it. Smelled of corn husk, cabbage, and pale malts. I hardly detected any hops... perhaps the little bit I thought I smelled was all in my head. Anyway, this is obviously a very light beer. It is highly carbonated and nearly tasteless. Very watery, although semi-thirstquenching. Eh. Perhaps I'll just get water.

DmanGTR, Dec 16, 2008
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

First off...the colder the better..if that even helps. I basically drink this beer when I am on a calorie count, not for the taste or enjoyment. If it's 100 degrees out, then it's not too bad or if you just want to get drunk while playing play Beer Pong, this stuff works.

Not as sweet as the original Coors. I do see the bubbles rising to the top of the glass..almost like they are trying to escape. Taste is bitter with a mild aftertaste. The longer it sits, the worse the flavor becomes.

This beer should be kept in the back of the fridge until the neighbor or family member you least enjoy comes over and then offer him/her this selection and enjoy the "other" beers on your own.

kaseydad, Dec 15, 2008
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a pilsner.

A: Light golden or straw color. Heavy carbonation. Pours into a big bubbly but kinda' frothy head. Settles fairly slowly, and leaves a thin layer of bubbles on the surface, but a thicker layer where the surface meets the glass. Soon dissipates as you drink. Carbonation continues to rise throughout. Leaves spotty outcroppings of lacing.

S: A little malt, a little wheat, a little hand soap. Almost a bit moldy aroma.

T: A hints of malt and wheat, with the signature soapy palette. Not much else.

M: Has a certain bite. Not a bitterness, or hoppiness, but the soapy palette kind of shocks the taste buds. Finishes a little dry. Leaves soapy aftertaste behind.

D: Has a certain flavor (which I don't care for), goes down pretty easy.

The aroma and palette have the strange signature soapiness. Somewhat refreshing, easy drink if you don't mind the flavor.

bmwats, Dec 14, 2008
1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

i have a confession...i disrespected beer. i drank this and i knew it wouldn't be good...and i am ashamed. anyway here's my review.

appearance- very pale with a small head that turns into a strange film with carbonation everywhere.

smell- canned corn maybe? it stinks something fierce.

taste- ...canned corn maybe?...with lots of carbonation? yep i think that's it.

mouthfeel- extreme carbonation

drinkability- it's really hard to drink something if it tastes bad and this does.

heath1agnew, Dec 12, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

The official beer of Winter Texan hockey, sometimes before, and seemingly always after. Not as strong a smell as regular Budweiser and significantly less calories. Tastes better in bottles than in cans (which is saying a lot) I don't find the metallic aftertaste good at all.

marc956, Dec 12, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

Bud Light is a very clear, very sparkling, pale straw-colored lager with a small white head that vanishes quickly. The aroma is slightly sweet, with notes of corn and lemon and maybe rice. It is very light bodied and bubbly with a crisp finish. There is almost no flavor at all. There are notes of cardboard, corn and anonymous grain. The finish is lemony. It comes in a nice bowling pin bottle.
(rated Sep 2, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 11, 2008
1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

This beer was served chilled and in a pint glass.

Appearance: A very fizzy light pale yellow coloration. The head was a thin white coloration. The head quickly resolved.

Smell: The aroma is ever so slightly grainy and nothing else.

Taste: This isnt what this is brewed for. Frankly I get a flash of sweetness and then the carbonation hits my mouth. Very much like drinking a plain club soda.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: A carbonated thin and watery beer. I could drink it but why would I. It doesnt taste like anything and doesnt really smell like much of anything. If you like this beer you dont like beer.

nlmartin, Dec 10, 2008