Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Bud Light... guy i play hockey with usually brings these for drinking afterwards when anything would be drinkable. he tossed me a couple and i only finished one, put the other in my hockey bag to later fully assess this brew... i can honestly say i've never bought a bud light before, even with all the free t-shirt offers!

A: light, pale yellow. fast vanishing white head, virtually no lace.

S: sweet adjunct corn and grainy smell. not very strong smelling thank goodness. not skunky

T: uhm, tasted like the can might've leaked some metal into it, likely a production thing, but i'm not going to go out and get a bottle to see if it'd make a difference because i doubt it. it's not bitter, there's a slight bit of hops mixed with an easier detectable grainy taste. low on taste, high on fizz.

M: once the fizz is gone its very thin. one notch above feeling like water... as much as i love drinking water, this is supposed to be a beer.

D: it's drinkable/tolerable, but i'd need to be very, very thirsty.

sum up: they'd need to really entice me with some kind of value apart from the drink, like a free rapala crankbait and half-price, for me to consider buying it, definately a purchase for the 'lost' friends i've got and not for personal consumption.

final thoughts:

yet another yard work beer that can fall off the garden tractor without hard feelings.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance is a straw yellow with a quickly dissapating crisp head and no lace. Smell of very light adjunct. Taste of light sweet corn thats watered down and highly carbonated. Mouthfeel is light and not much else to it. If someone were to hand me one in the future I would surely ask "is there anything else available?"

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Not as drinkable as Coors Light. It starts out looking OK, like any other light American lager, and goes downhill from there. While it is more flavorful than Coors, that is not a good thing when the predominant flavor is urine. Buy in a 30, bring it on a fishing boat, thats all it is good for.

2.48/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very light yellow. A minimal white head, and no lace.
S: Grain and cereal. A metallic aroma, other than that, not much is here.
T: Sweet grain and cereal malt. Just a touch of toasty malt. A metallic/copper taste.
M/D: A light body that is very thin and watery. Smooth to drink, as it should be.

Blah, the only time I drink this is at a ball game or golfing in the summer when there is literally nothing else to chose from. Inoffensive and generic. Not the worst thing in the world, but whats the point?

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: The standard crystal-clear, pale straw-yellow body with a fizzy white head that recedes rapidly.

Aroma: Sweet and grainy with a somewhat fuller body than you usually get in this style (still firmly in the thin territory). In place of hops, a handful of crisp fruitiness.

Taste: A thin, grainy malt body with the barest hints of hops, but no bitterness to speak of. Compared to other American macro light beers, Bud Light has perhaps a little fuller flavor profile and is not as plagued with skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: A little fuller than average, but still very thin compared to most beer. Fizzy with a dry finish.

Drinkability: The usual Light Lager Catch-22; it goes down easily but there's not much desire to keep going.

Verdict: This tastes like college to me. A somewhat fuller body and more pronounced flavor profile than many in this style, but still amazingly bland and shallow. If faced with a choice between a Bud Light, Miller Lite, or Coors Light I suppose this is would be my second choice.

1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

Enjoyed (and I caution to use the word here) on a Saturday afternoon. It was offered to me with no other option.

A: Light to clear yellow, with even a green tinge. Fizzy white head that pours huge & disappears even quicker.

S: Very light. Somewhat grainy.

T: As light American macros go, this one is my least favorite (and in case you're wondering, out of the 3 kings...gun to my head: 1. Miller Light, 2. Coors Light, 10. Bud Light

M: Yup, feels like a watery beer-like substance.

D: Gave this a 2.5 based on the sheer ounces I've had in my lifetime. Gosh dang college...

2.9/5  rDev +56.8%

Bud Light
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 4.20 % , cals=110

Reviewed ~10/2008 @ home, bottle>dimpled mug
A 2.0, very clear/clean light straw color, 1 finger head gone quick
S 3.0 mild but balanced, not skunky like some macro light beers
T 3.0 not bad, just not much!
MF 1.5 watery very very thin, no body at all, super carbonated
D 3.5 - If a mellow clean watery light beer is what you are after, this is for you! I like it better than a lot of other macro light beers.

2.95/5  rDev +59.5%

The beer many people grew up drinking when they shouldnt be.

Pale in color, low in taste, high in making you run to the bathroom.

I wish I knew how many of these I drank playing beer pong... Because of this fun factor, I give this a higher rating than most people. I also can still drink it when it gets hot without wanting to vomit. +3

gateway beer of choice for many women...

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

12 Ounce Can poured into a mug

Appearance: Very pale yellow color with very little head retention and lacing

Smell: Very little smell but a little bit of an apple smell (very little)

Taste: Very little taste but a little bit of a doughy flavor with no bitterness

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Bud Light used to be the delicacy for me before turning 21 and discovering the real world of beer. In college, when I had extra money and wanted something more than Natural Light, I would go for a Bud Light. I'm sure everyone has had one. The color is a bright yellow and smells of light beer. It doesn't have much taste other than some carbonation. Not a bad light beer, but that's not saying too much. Not bad when budget is concerned and you're not wanting anything heavy.

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

This is maybe the most maligned beer around these parts, with good reason. While I can enjoy a Bud, Bud Light is just tasteless. Pours with little head that quickly dissipates, and leaves little to no lacing. Smell is inoffensive and mostly grainy, little else to it. Taste? Well there isn't much but its very watery grain, I couldn't get much hops at all, and there aren't very strong flavors of any type that I can find. There is no reason to drink this save for two situations. 1. you don't like beer but want a buzz. 2. Its very hot or you are engaging in strenuous activity and you want to chug down a light beer that is a least slightly better than drinking water. Very slightly. I can't see any reason to not drink regular Budweiser over this, except that has some decent beer flavor and maybe you hate that.

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Heh, found this left over by by a friend and figured what the hell. That guy probably hasn't drank anything but BL in 20 years so he must know something...

Pours a very pale golden color with an extremely thin white head that completely dissipates after a few seconds and leaves no lacing.

Smell is mostly nonexistent. Obviously there's nothing to get you excited about drinking it but then I guess there is nothing to scare me away from it either. If I wasn't looking at it, I'd probably think I was about to drink a glass of water...

Taste is mostly corn and that strange metallic aftertaste. I have to rate this lower than smell because while the smell doesn't bother me, the taste is pretty bad.

Mouthfeel is just overly carbonated. Supposedly these boys are all about drinkability, but let's face it, if you think its crap, you're typically not gonna want to be downing them all day. For an American macro, I'm sure its a real "classic" but for beer, I'm not amused. Some people are afraid of change so if you've been drinking this stuff all your life, keep doing what you do if you must. Personally, I don't think I can go back to this anymore and thats cool with me.

2.68/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Luckily a friend stopped by with some Bud Light. I would not purchase this on my own. I figured what the hell, I'll give it a review. It poured very clear with basically no head. The smell was not good, kinda sweet. It has very little taste, a bit on the sweet side but nothing to write home about. It is very drinkable since it tastes and goes down like water, not as bad as Coors Light though. Obviously, they are doing something right or they would not be the most popular beer. You have to please the masses and this seems to work. I will not partake in the macrobrew bashing that is common on this site. It is not my favorite but who am I to argue with a bunch of hiilbillies?

A: yellowish gold. Almost like piss. Clearest beer I've ever seen. Head quickly settles to a thin film.

S: sweet grainy smell. Has that cheap adjunct kinda smell. Also had a slight medicinal like smell.

T: upfront is a corn like sweetness. As it rolls back, you basically get no more flavors til the finish. Finish was bland, almost chemically. Leaves an unpleasant taste in mouth.

Mf: prickly carbonation with a light body.

O: meh. Your typical AAL.

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer's popularity resides in the fact that its readily available, and the majority of people who drink it are weak palleted and/or dont dare to venture to new and better things... which i guess i can understand. but anyways i was bored, and it was left in my fridge....so heres another perhaps needless review

this beer was drank about a month after the brew-date on the bottum of the can. it poured an uninspiring pale mostly clear yellow, i struggled to get a half-finger of head, which faded to nothing before i finished writing this appearance segment, theres no lace

smell was weak to say the least, cereal grain and tinny, had a bad side odor that i tried to get around, but couldnt

taste was slightly malty/grainy if anything, cereal. hops stayed home sick. for the most part it resembled the can it came from. the finish was clean if any consolation?

mouthfeel - drank like a soda, too much carbonation.... a 1.5 because i imagine lava may be worse

Yea this beer is drinkable, it's supposed to be... and hell, if you havn;t had anything to drink all day out on the golf course, its downright refreshing. however you'll never really ENJOY sitting down and drinking one...(which i understand isn't really the purpose of it) for you may have to drink several to enjoy yourself. i dont want to slam it, but i dont feel all that bad considering it sells like hotcakes

1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

Had drunk this beer while in a frat party

Appearance: pale watery color, no head what so ever
Smell: weird Skunky smell
Taste: Watery, crappy.
Drinkability: None what so ever
Overall a very poorly made beer that its sole purpose is to get wasted cheaply. If you are serious about beer, avoid it at all cost!!

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance - Typical brown bottle, label comments how this version is brewed in Canada in attempt to cash in on national pride I suppose. Beer itself is a dull yellow that I'd expect from a light beer, but has no character. Barely any head (white when it was there), and it disappeared almost immediately and no lacing. Also seems to bubble up like a soft drink, which to me is a sign of too much carbonation. At least it has good clarity.

Smell - Faint rice like smell with a hint of grain and almost metal like quality. Very bland without character and that it's so faint it's barely worth mentioning.

Taste - Watery, but it is a light beer so I can't really hold that against it that much. Has a corn and slight rice taste, however it is overpowered by the carbonation and almost metallic chemical taste which I suspect are preservatives.

Mouthfeel - Far too much carbonation, almost on par with a soft drink and I'm pretty sure it's not natural carbonation. Has that chemical aftertaste, but thankfully it does not linger very long but it seems to leave the mouth a bit filmy.

Drinkability - This is only redeeming quality in my opinion. This beer is very refreshing and I could see enjoying it after a hard day of work and was thirsty. The aftertaste doesn't linger and as it is light as the name says, so drinking a lot is certainly an option. The excessive carbonation makes the beer a bit gassy and that filmy taste builds the more you drink it though.

Final Thoughts: To quote Bud Light's advertising, "The difference is drinkability". Indeed, that difference is the only thing that separates this beer from the bad beer that it is, to the outright offensive failure it could have been. I almost feel guilty pawning this stuff off on my poker buddies, so needless to say I won't be buying more. I'd probably only buy it again if I wanted something light, and it was the only light beer.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

From Can to Shaker 12/28/2008

It hurts me to say this, as I grew up in St. Louis area, but this has to be the worst mass-marketed "light" lager of all. Very little color, very little head or lacing. Just a very boring, flat beer with little taste. "Drinkability"? I guess you can call it that if you just slame them. A very, very boring beer. Give me water instead. What's funny to me is it tastes little like Budweiser - which is a pretty good beer if you only have a few.

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Finally decided to review this because my roommate bought an 18 pack and my fridge is full of them. So this is one way instead of pouring the rest out. Poured a white foamy head that dispated fairly quickly to about nothing. Has a bit of carbination, the only decent thing in the look. Color is just light yellow. Smell cant really smell much. Taste not much of anything here. No hops detected, no malt flavor, maybe corn. Followed my a funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel of water. Drinkability about the only thing this has going for it since there isnt much to this beer i can see why people can put so many of these down. It will be a long time till I ever drink another one of these. Already my stomach is starting to hate me.

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

Had a couple Bud Lights on tap earlier today. Arrived with a small white head. Carbonation was fairly light. Faint smell of adjunct rice and a little metallic aroma. The taste was not much different from the smell. The mouthfeel felt more substantial than when I had it from a bottle or can.

1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

I have found I simply cannot drink this beer. Even compared to Miller Light or PBR, I just can't do it.

The appearance is about the best part of this thing, the bubbles can be fun to watch, if you are 5.

There really isn't much smell to BL, and if there is, I find it is more like wet dog than anything else

Again, the taste isn't really anything. Maybe slighlty off water

Mouthfeel is watery, but bubbly

Drinkability is what really gets me here. It is just too carbonated. After even just 2 or 3 (because there is no reason to drink BL if you are only having 1) I find I can't do it, I am too full of gas.

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

poored from a 16oz PLASTIC bottle that my roommate brought home from a bar due to intoxication, some how this is lighter than straw in color with no head whatsoever
Smell what smell???
taste even for a light beer this has no taste, I mean waters on par with this
mouthfeel is light and holy hell carbonation... gross
drinkability yea their commercials lie this isn't drinkable or even passing off as drinkable

2.78/5  rDev +50.3%

02/07/09- Had at a relatives house.

Presentation- 12oz can, didn't check for freshness info, but I'm sure there is a born on date or something. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale golden color with effervescent bubbles, a one fingered head on pour which quickly fades. Leaves no real lace markings.

Smell- Normal macro nose of light corn, grain and some malt.

Taste- Not really a heck of a lot of corn, which is good. Some heavy grain notes, actually fairly fresh tasting. Hops, nope, but overall not as horrid as most macro light beers.

Mouthfeel- Super crisp with a mid range carbonation level.

Drinkability- Do I loose my beer geek status if I say that this actually tasted good at the time I drank it? Was damn thirtsy and wasn't going to get to the beer store until the next day. Hit the spot to be perfectly honest. I guess it's true what they say...there is always a time and a place for every beer.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

When a young man wants to impress his friends by buying some popular beer that is just within his price range, he buys Bud Light. To the credit of the brewers, this is an extremely difficult beer to produce consistently: it is so light that imperfections show easily. Ask any brewer worth his hops and no matter how much he hates this beer, he always tips his hat to the brewery.

That being said, the taste is so light as to be close to water. Cans and draft taste better than bottle; not because of light spoilage, but one expects the tinny aftertaste from an aluminum serving vessel. Appearance and head, etc are not important, as this is a beer for someone who isn't particular about those things.

Please don't snob the drinker of this beer. Educate him softly; buy him a "good" lager or wheat to set him on his exploratory journey into the great world of beer.

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

I had a Bud Light for the first time in years at a party, and decided to review.

Appearance: extremely pale, lots of carbonation.
Aroma: void.
Taste: I really thought that it tastes like a 50/50 mix of a low-hopped lager and club soda.
Mouthfeel: accordingly watery
Drinkablility: Despite the ads, I do not really consider this drinkable. It does have a refreshing element. Here's a thought: drink one of these to hydrate in between real beers.

I was quite depressed to know that this is the best selling brand in America. I will continue to avoid this along with many other light American lagers (I refuse to call these pilsners).

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch