Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.02/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Born on date of 22 OCT 09

Aroma - Aromatic hops a first (while it still had a head) that quickly fades. After that the aroma was mostly a slight off putting sweetness with maybe some cream corn in there too.

Appearance - Clear yellow that poured with a thin white head with tiny bubbles that faded quickly. Carbonation was continuous which looked pretty enough.

Taste - My first impression was a sweet beginning with a light hop bite. Overall clean, crisp and a touch of dry finish. That sweetness kind of faded over the time of drinking and the blandness of this beer took over. Just not a lot of flavor to work with here. The 2.0 is just the fact I don't find Bud Light offensive taste wise. Sure its affront to the name "beer" but I could easily drink these all day if I had to.

Notes - The carbonation did provide a nice mouthfeel.

A - Pours a very light yellow-ish colour with little lacing
S - Very faint corn and grains
T - The taste basically follows the smell, which is basically a very faint corn and grains
M - An extremely light bodied mouthfeel
D - Unthinkable and undrinkable

1.26/5  rDev -31.9%

I tasted my friend's bud light, just because I was wondering if it had improved since college (even in college I wouldn't drink it... though I did drink Miller Lite...)

This is not a terrible beer... not like bud light clamato... but it is pretty flavorless and unimpressive. It pours crystal clear, light, and with little head and lacks lace (probably because novice drinkers don't want or appreciate a thick head). The smell is funky, light, and smells like old, stale Pale Ale. The beer tastes like alcoholic perrier... again, not terrible, but nothing to it. There is literally no finish. Possibly as a marketing ploy to keep people drinking it rapidly. I wouldn't say this is the worst beer... but it's pretty bad.

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a very pale piss yellow color with a big foamy white head. Head falls rather slow, thin lace.

Not much smell. Very thin corn/malt aroma.

Taste is of minerals and adjuncts. I just don't like it.

Thin and watery in the mouth.

Did a taste test with this and High Life which is not light I know but was so much better compared to this. There is a certain taste in AB products that is always the same. Not sure what it is but never liked it, even when I was 19 and drank the cheapest stuff I could find (Pfeiffer's)

2.19/5  rDev +18.4%

This is what it is. It is not a heavy beer that you can drink lots of. This is the way to go if you have a party and need tons of beer. It pours a golden yellow with a white foamy head. Lots of carbonation. Not much taste or mouthfeel. It is a drinkable beer.

1.62/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yeah so I am glad they use a different malt/hops ratio different than regular bud, because we know what's never been done before. GOld body, white foamy head. Aromas are metallic, corn, sugar. taste is sweet corn, some detectable hops and mineral. Inoffensive, but theres nothing here...and I dont drink beer for nothing.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a very pale straw with two fingers of fluffy white head. Head dissipates fairly quick, leaving no lace behind. Lots of visible carbonation. Has a faint grainy aroma. Tastes like pale lager diluted with seltzer. Thin & seltzery mouthfeel, light bodied and highly carbonated. Bland, inoffensive, insipid.

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Just pulled this out of the cellar, figured I'd give it a review after a few years of good aging. I actually found this in the back of my fridge left over from my roommate's birthday party we threw last weekend. Never really drank too many of these, figured I'd give it a review. Normal pale yellow look to it, highly carbonated, pretty bad grainy adjunct smell. Taste is like carbonated water with a sour/metallic taste at the finish. Not very appetizing at all. I'm pretty glad I played beer pong with Sierra Nevada pales instead of this.

2.37/5  rDev +28.1%

I had this beer from a 12 ounce bottle.

The beer is a very pale yellow with a light white head that dissipated very quickly.

The smell is of grain and the taste is pretty bland. There is no hops presence that I can detect.

The mouthfeel is okay, but nothing impressive. It is certainly drinkable, but it wouldn't be one of my first choices.

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer sucks. Sorry, I tried to be objective, but I can't. Somehow, AB sells enough of this crap everyday to float the entire American navy. I don't know how people love this stuff so much. It blows my mind completely every time I see one of my idiot friends pound a dozen of them and seem happy about it. Whatever though, I wouldn't change it if I was AB due to the rediculously high sales, so I guess we don't have much to look forward to with this beer. Don't buy it.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

Simple Review:

Very light, refreshing, highly carbonated and very drinkable if...you're with the boys at an NFL Tailgate looking to catch that buzz slap before you head in to the game. Cheap lager that is readily available at almost any quick mart or grocery store.

Nothing other than water with alcohol in it. Zero substance.

2.71/5  rDev +46.5%

A - Poured with one finger of white head into the appropriate glassware (a shaker pint, of course). The foam settles quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a pale, straw yellow and perfectly clear.

S - Light, grainy sweetness. Otherwise, very clean.

T - Some slightly sweet, husky malt up front... and then nothing else. Finishes clean with a slight graininess and maybe the vague ghost of a hop leaf.

M - Light body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - This is very easy to drink, possibly easier to drink than water. It has a remarkable lack of flavor. Bud heavy has some grainy malt and green apple off flavors, but this is a truly clean beer. This beer is the equivalent of some mad scientist managing to create an actual army of zombies; the sheer wrongness of its existence is abhorrent, but at the same time one can't help but marvel at the technical achievement. And in the end, that is really what this beer is, an empty, soulless, horrifically drinkable, zombie of a beer.

1.49/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass. Serving temp was about 33-35F. Poured a very bright gold, for some reason reminded me of lemonade. Strong adjunct aroma with no real character. Just didn't like anything about this beer, except maybe the appearance it was close to what an light lager would be I guess. Had a strong hop bite and for some reason gave me a headache after having it. I could not drink this again and glad I didn't pay for it. Horrible.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

first macro review, a beer i've had so many times.

ah, a lovely see-through yellow with bubbles on the sides. I poured it fast so I can enjoy the site of some head, at least for the 30 seconds it has taken me to write what I got thus far, but now it is officially fizzed away.
not too much aroma to it. but i do smell some corn/vegetables. i can't say its a pleasant or inviting smell, but hey, what's cheap is cheap, and sometimes, especially since i'm in college, u find a case in your fridge.
naturally i made sure this bad boy was ice cold, because otherwise... well, anyway, moving on. It has the tastes of corn, and what whatever plain flavored malt and hops they put in to this.
it does have an appropriate amount of carbonation, i just don't like the aftertaste.
when cold, its drinkable, if warm its torture.

To say i hate bud light would be hypocritical because it won't be the last time I have it. since i'm still in college i'm sure I'll be drinking bud light many many more times.
Sure, macro breweries use multimillion dollar ad campaigns, but hey, they earned it didn't they? Anheuser-Busch is an example of the American dream at its finest. I respect that. I am going to go get drunk now. :)

--Poured from a 12 ounce can into a 12 ounce, clear, plastic cup.--
-Born on date stamped on can. (May have died the same day?)-

Appearance- Transparent, extremely pale-piss yellow. Tall white head from a hard pour, but in about fifteen seconds, it's simply a memory. No real lacing to speak of.

Smell- Metallic, with hints of corn and rice. Not absolutely off-putting, but not necessarily inviting, either. No hops to speak of in the nose.

Taste- Again, instead of the true malt, you get sweet corn and rice. No real hop bite, just a tiny tingle in the back. This beer is lightly sweet with metallic notes, and nothing else.

Mouthfeel- Sparkling water. Plenty of carbonation, but no weight on the tongue. Very slick, and a rather nice clean finish, with no aftertaste.

Drinkabilty- You could pound these back all night. Absolutely made for quantity over quality. After three or four, they go down like water. If you're looking for a session in a 30 pack, this is for you. If you're looking for flavor, appreciation, and a respectable beer, look elsewhere.

2.72/5  rDev +47%

Bud Light pours a bright straw color with a fluffy white head, from the longneck. It smells of grains, and not much else. The taste is pretty much the same, grains. There is a sharp bite of carbonation, and the coldness is getting to me. This is the beer that defines drinkability, they go down like water.

1.09/5  rDev -41.1%

Oh boy, here we go...

Appearance: Pours a yellowish pale, straw like with very thin white head that goes away immediately leaving small traces of any lace. Extremely bright & filtered

Aroma: A small trace of sweetness from the malt followed by a mild graininess. Hops? come on, im reviewing bud light here (that means no chance in hell). It smells like the homeless alcoholic down the street, nasty stale...bud characteristic. This seriously smells what the local drunk smells like after a 30 day binge, I should know. The only reason I am reviewing this beer is because it was the last one left in the fridge after an alki went on a binge then found his was into the ER half dead.

Flavor: The first thing I noticed is an awkward sweetness followed by a funky grain taste. Did they leave the gain silo open? They must have because this tastes like a stale shoe left in the rain. As one would expect no hops. The aftertaste is just awful, a stale gain flavor. Something is funky here.

Mouthfeel: Super thin!! higher levels of carbonation, as much body as Deer Park water. The grain is balanceed perfectly by the high amount of water & funk.

Overall: I am glad that you are reading this. Seriously, I am drinking this pig piss so that I can tell all to stay clear of this beer. I feel as if I doing community service here. Malt is flavorless & funky, no body, awful aroma,....you know what Im done with this, to the sink I go...

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

A: It looks like pee but more clear

S: It smells like a trash bag after a highschool party

T: Corn juice

M: Is there anything more watery than water? if so it is certainly bud light carbonation is high

D: It doesn't really taste like anything and it feels like water so i guess its pretty easy to drink?

This is one of several beers that is keeping craft beer in a tiny portion of the market and makes BAs look like pretentious yuppies

1.92/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from 12oz fan can (Notre Dame colors).

A- Pours a very sorry looking light yellow. People say it looks like urine and well I would say more of a ginger ale color maybe a shade lighter. Big 2 finger cloudy white head that stays around for a little bit before slowly dying down. Leaves some soapy lacing on the sides of the glass which slides back into the beer.

S- Typical earthy dirty pilsner smell. A certain corn sweetness with this as well. Nothing is too overpowering just a well...faint smell all around. Light grassy smell as well.

T- Bleh...this shit just tastes terrible. I have never liked the taste of this beer even before I drank craft beers. Very watery tasting with a sweet corn taste as well. Nothing really to this in flavor but well it's rancid to say the least.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little much but still not as terrible as Coors Light. Fizzes on the palate when you drink it. Leaves a super sweet aftertaste. Not a huge fan of this at all...makes me want to drink something else to get rid of the aftertaste. Feels like a sweet tasting water in the mouth.

D- This is a drinkable beer in the sence that you can pound them left and right because they don't have a real taste to them. But to actually sit back and drink them and ponder well they are not that drinkable then to me. I gave it a middle of the road rating on this because of these two facts.

2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

I'm not sure why I'm reviewing this, but what the hell, here goes..

Serving type - Can/bottle (have had both)

Appearance - A pale, clear yellow, with a white foam head with good retention.

Smell - There's really not much going on here at all. A little bit of "beer-ness" to it?

Taste - Ehh..not so good. I don't necessarily hate beers with adjuncts in them (in fact, there are even some I like), but when it's this watered down, it just hurts the flavor big time. Pretty bad out of the can, okay out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel - Kinda like carbonated water, but with some beer flavor in it.

Drinkability - You can pound these easily, but it doesn't make it good beer.

Overall - This is one to avoid. The least good of the BMC light beers IMO (Well, except for Bud select...). Stick to the "regular" versions of adjunct lagers if that's your thing.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

put in a situation where the only beers were Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light and Yuengling Lager... had to give it a whirl again so I could review it.

A: clear yellow, some faint hints of gold, fluffy white head that is gone in an instant, no lacing

S: faint hints of corn, earth and moldy bread

T: actual thin malt profile detected behind predominant water

M: watery, thin, over carbonated

D: drinkable because it doesnt taste like anything... ranks above Coors but below Miller in my light beer rankings

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

I guess I have consumed my share of this in my day even though its not my thing anymore....

A - Water yellow color with a fair head that dissipated pretty fast.

S - You will have to strain to smell any malt or hops in it but they are there.

T - Most beer lover's "gateway" beer. Tastes like a very watered down Pilsner Urquell.

M - Well carbonated, super light bodied.

D - Thats what the advertise! Don't believe it though.

To be fair, how can anyone knock this because we all have drank a ton of this in our formative years. Did anyone really start their drinking careeres on Sierra, and never sway, that's hard to believe. It is a generic tasting beer with clever marketing and the best ditribution arm in the business.It just not a very good beer.

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Someone left this at my place, so I figured I'd review it.

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of fizzy white head That fades down pretty fast. No lace. Color is a clear light straw yellow.

Aroma: Very grainy with corn. Light dull hops. Yep, that's about it.

Taste: very bland. big grain flavor with lame hops. Corn on the side. Not something I am enjoying at all.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp. An extremely light body with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a grainy dry aftertaste.

Overall, not something I enjoy drinking. I will throw a pickle in this one to give it a little more flavor. This beer is not my type of thing. I won't drink this one unless someone offers me one.

3.07/5  rDev +65.9%

12oz can, born 8/25/09 into a Duvel tulip (gotta give it a chance, right?)

A: Typical light beer: clear, light yellow color with abundant carbonation. A fairly aggressive pour yields only an inch and half of coarse white foam that dissipates pretty quickly into a thin cap, leaving no lace whatsoever. Boring, but not unexpected.

S: I just finished having a Coors Light (yeah, I know, but I've got to review them some time), and this is light years better. Pretty much all adjunct aromas, but BL has a nice clean rice aroma - sweet but balanced, light but appreciable. It doesn't smell a bit like beer, of course, but it honestly doesn't smell that bad.

T: Tastes like...drinkability. Clean, fresh, sweet, crisp. Like the smell, nothing whatsoever like actual beer, but not unpleasant. When it comes to the big boys of the light beer category, Bud clearly does the best job creating an inoffensive swill. Watery, yet still reasonably flavorful.

M: Thoroughly boring; thin as water, but over-carbonated. Not so good.

D: This would appear to be BL's sure-fire category, right? Actually, yes. As laughable as "drinkability" is as a marketing campaign, there's no denying that this beer is easy to drink in copiously large quantities (the local BL distributor sponsors my rugby team, so I know this from far too much experience - man I wish we could be sponsored by DFH!). Not quite as watery as Coors Light, though, so I don't think this is quite the most drinkable beer in it's category.

Notes: Of the big three macro light beers, this is definitely my favorite. Miller tries to taste like actual beer, but only succeeds in tasting like the shittiest beer possible. Bud and Coors, on the other hand, try to make a beverage that combines a trace amount of alcohol with the mildest grainy flavor possible. Of this approach, Bud clearly does the better job. While not worthy of even the remotest amount of actual respect, BL is my go-to beer when I simply have to be drinking a light macro.

Cheers!