Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

A- Looks like carbonated water with a single drop of yellow food coloring. Head is decent, which is why it gets a 1.5 instead of 1. Crystal clear, and the white head settle to a ring in seconds.

S- Weak malt, lemon. That's about all I can make out... A bit metallic, and a hint of yeast, actually. Smells like when you rack a pils into secondary.... if you're standing 30 feet away.

T- Initially boring, but not bad. Then the bad flavors start, and keep coming. Sourness, stale, mouldy bread, no hops at all, and only the faintest malt.

M- Crisp, but not clean. Carbonation is weak within minutes, and it just starts to taste like horse piss. Not that I drink horse piss. But if this was warm, it couldn't be that much different.

D- Yuck. Made to be drunk as fast as possible and puked up later. Absolutely awful.

khiasmus, Jul 29, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Clear yellow-gold with a thin head.

Smell - Weak and sweet, mainly of corn/rice. Rather poor smell.

Taste - Sweet, with little discernable flavor. As it warms, sweetness becomes unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and very thin. As it warms, exceptionally cloying.

Drinkable - If nothing else, it is drinkable. However, with such a weak taste, there is little reason to want to drink it.

BWMKappaSig, Jul 27, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear, bland yellow color with a nice head. Aroma is of light corn (or rice...whichever it is) and seems sweet. Taste is very sweet as well and again, cornish or rice taste, which is unimpressive. Overall, beer is inoffensive but I didn't see much that could differentiate it from other light lagers. Boring.

Brad007, Jul 26, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a favorite among friends and family who I am trying to convert to better beer.

A. Looks like carbonated water with a bit of mountain dew tossed in. Small white head that recedes quickly.

S. Maybe a little corn, but fairly week.

T. Mild bitterness with a lot of carbonation.

M. Thin and watery as expected.

D. Very drinkable. Thanks to the lackluster aspects of this beer, it goes down like water. It's hard to tell you're even drinking beer.

This is a great beer for beer pong since it is cheap and much easier to chug than some of the other macro lackluster beers.

BeerAndBourbon, Jul 22, 2007
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Nothing good to say so I will keep it short and sweet. This is your typical macro. No head no lace. Extremely bland on the nose and the tongue. I would only drink if there was no other option, thankfully there are lots of options. I don't even know why I bothered pouring in a glass should have used a funnel. ( I wrote this down in a notebook 3 years ago I was only 18 I am not full of myself but there ain't to many 18 year olds who would have preferred a Trappist beer over this)

irishkyle21, Jul 19, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

This may be my shortest review to date.
Lt yellow.
tastes like watered down vege's and more water and vege's.
Finish has the faintest hint of hops. Over Carbonated. This is the definition of a tasteless watered down macro...there's almost nothing to describe....suffers as it warms. Aren't most beers supposed to do the opposite....why anyone would pay 35% more for this over MHL I HAVE NO earthly idea.

witster18, Jul 17, 2007
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

355 ml can. Brewed by Labatt for Canada. 4% ABV.

A- Good sized initial head, white. Very pale almost whitish yellow. Some bubbliness. Head decreases very quickly.

S- Faintly lemony light beer smell. Cabonation gives a dusty smell.

T- Water with a faint lemon and soap flavour. Brief flash of mild nitterness to the finish. Some mushroom/vegetable flavours appear as the beer starts to warm a little.

MF- Very thin and very watery. Soft drink dtyle carbonation.

D- Cheap macro light beer. Not surprisingly lacking in any good qualities. But at least it goes down easily as it is basically water.

JOaikido, Jul 17, 2007

Appearance- Golden color with a thin, white head. Lots of bubbles.

Smell- None that I really could smell. Maybe some slight earthy smell.

Taste- A little bit of hops and thats it. Very watered down.

Mouthfeel- Very watery and carbonated

Drinkability- Not much taste. I felt like I was drinking water. At least it was free or else I'd feel like I really wasted my money.

Beerbuddha, Jul 13, 2007
1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz. bottle left in our refrigerator after a party.

Appearance: Pours crystal clear and pale into a pint glass. Thin white head leaves barely a trace of lacing.

Smell: Not much to smell, but I could pick up corn and grain.

Taste: Rice and corn husks, with the tiniest bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery in the mouth with a very dry finish.

Drinkability: Could drink this all day, but there are much better choices.

Slar211, Jul 10, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

absolutely not beer in my opinion. my dad has this in his fridge. no color, odd smell, little taste and i dont like what is there. this is to be chugged when you are hot as hell or thirsty as fuck! and it better be ice cold. when this bilge water warms to even luke warm it is like flat stale lake water.

pass if you can.

suckem up and movem out! (not this stuff)

giblet

giblet, Jul 10, 2007
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Extraordinarily clear appearance. Very light color. Head dissipates very quickly. Plenty of carbonation, but where's the head retention?

Smells lightly skunky, but not a strong smell here.

Ugh. Not a pleasant taste. You can force it down because it's as light as water. But there's nothing enjoyable about it. Slightly metallic. I get no hops or malts. Come to think of it, this wasn't even my preferred brand in college, when all I drank was cheap light beers.

One thing I will say in favor of this beer is that you can drink it if nothing else is available. It's not a beer I absolutely can't stand to drink, it's just not something I'd choose to drink.

jar2574, Jul 04, 2007
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

I had to review this one since I'm American and almost if not all American beer drinkers have tasted it. Becuase of this, I can't give it a typical rating. It is by far one of the most average beers I've had. It has a plain yellow color that runs very thin, a head much like a can of coke (goes away much much too quickly), and a taste that leaves a residue on the tongue. OK, I know it's Bud Light but still you can do much better for just a few dollars more.

Where this beer shines is on that midsummer day when it is 99 degrees outside and you have to do yard work. Imagine your shirt drenched in sweat, you've just mowed an acre of grass and the sun is blaring down on you with no remorse. As you rip the sweat stained shirt off your back, you open the fridge and find two choices: a heavy microbrew or a Bud Light. Which one do you pick?

For me, I pick the Bud Light because nothing does the trick on a hot day like an ice cold Bud Light.

cdoublev, Jun 30, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bud light

A-same as any other dilluted urine coloured macro lager. 1.5

S-slightly of corn. Not much smell at all.

T-does this taste like anything? I am getting a slightly sweet mineral water type of thing here. Very mild bitterness.

M-watery and thin with a medium high level of carbonation

D-i guess people drink Heineken because at least skunk tastes like something. This doesn't taste like beer. Maybe watered down beer. Once again I am bored at the airport. My assumption as to why people drink this? People don't like the taste of malt or hops.

sleazo, Jun 28, 2007
1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Had this at a house party and wanted to see if it was any different from a keg. Had to say it was much worse.

A: Pumped into a red plastic cup head forms but goes away in an instant leaving behind a groos looking bubbly trace. Color is darker than poured from a can but I attribute that to the red lining of the cup.

S: I almost gagged when I put this too my nose, it had a disgustingly sweet and sticky aroma, like boiled corn and sugar with strange hints of rotten fruity sweetness dipped in bread, just awful.

T/MF: Taste pretty much like it smelled and was somehow less carbonated and tasted less fresh than from a can, maybe a bad tap job contributed to this but still awful. Taste of creamed corn covered in nutra-sweet and mouthfeel is overly slick and leaves a film all over the tongue, it took a lot of effort to get through this beer.

D: I only give this beer a 1.5 because I imagine the tap line was a bit old and imparted a hex on the beer that made it worse than it should have been, still a terrible experience here.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 24, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a pale straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a lightly sweet malt with brief wisp of aromatic hop.

The taste was light and carbonated with a clean sweet corn element. Nothing really to report. Luckily there was no aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was light with some residual slickness.

Overall a rather flavorless experience. No really offensive flavors or aromas, just nothing really worth drinking.

plaid75, Jun 13, 2007
2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

12 onz brown bottle with freshness date on the back

This is almost a "no beer", got a very pale yellow look with a small head, this beer got almost no taste, more water than beer taste,you can almost fill that there's ice cubes in the beer,very easy to drink (but water is also very easy to drink),miller lite and bud light light are always fighting in there ads about taste and carbs , do someone really cares about the carbs when your beer taste like water,if you have to select your beer by the carbs on it , you should drink water.

BeerDreadz, Jun 12, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

A- kinda looks like straw colored water, no head
S- smells like staleness, a lil corn and no hops
T- i dont taste anything maybe a little corn, a little malt, definitely not anything which adds good flavors to the beer
M-had a crisp carbonation though light even for the style
D- high only because it has no bad flavors, no flavors at all, to make it worse

Atron67, Jun 09, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

Light straw colored pour with minimal head no matter how hard you pour. Smell is minimal of corn and malts but moreso of watered down lager. Taste is also pretty muted. Slight sweet malts and somewhat bitter at that. Mouthfeel is light, as one would expect. Drinkability...you could give it a high score but the other aspects bring it down. Sure, it's easy to drink cold but it's not extremely enjoyable.

ncvbc, Jun 09, 2007
1.98/5  rDev +7%

This beer is worthless when it comes to flavor.

It will eat your tongue down to nothing with its harsh bubbles and carbonation. However, it is a very easy beer to drink since it has no taste and drinks like carbonated water.

If you must drink a beer like this drink Bud Select since it is slightly better than Bud light and friends.

smcreator, Jun 03, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

Had a couple Bud Lights this afternoon at my buddy's place as this is all he had. (knew I shouldhave stopped at the store!) Anyway, Bud Light at 35 degrees F is not bad tasting, but only becuase it has no taste. What I thought about while I drank them, was the recipe. I thought "This is what a beer would taste like if you took really cold carbonated water and then used an eye dropper and dropped in a few drops of beer flavoring and then stirred it up". No lace, slight "beer" smell, and almost clear. Barely a beer.

HotterThanHell, Jun 02, 2007
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into on my "facny" Samuel Adams Boston Lager Glasses (a damn good glass to review almost any lager).

A: Very thin & pale, even for the style. Even w/an assesrtive pour, very little head came about. As it's consumed, minimal head is left on the beer. The one big thing I must give AB credit for is the freshness date clearly marked on the back of the bottle.

S: Minimal nose to this brew at all. Maybe a little corn and a slight hint of clean hops. I took several sniffs, not much here at all in terms of nose.

T: Seriously, I'm not writing this review to bash a light macro brew, but I really can't hardly taste anything in this beer at all. Up front, just a very mild corn flavor. A very bland slight grain/corn taste rides throughout. In the end, a very minimal hop bitterness comes through.

M: Very thin and watery.

D: Let me make clear that I reviewed this beer again trying to be as objective as possible. Bud Light however, is truly the non-beer drinkers beer. There is hardly any taste at all to this brew; and, what little there is, is so minimal that after a few sips starts to taste like carbonated water. To be fair, there aren't really any off flavors, but there just is really nothing here! If you don't like the taste of balanced sweet malt & hops to balance (I am describing the true taste of beer), this is probably a good choice. Other than that, I would honestly rather drink water or a soda than this brew. Please note, I have nothing against macro lagers, I just like a "beer" taste when I want to drink a beer.

AustinBeerLvr, Jun 02, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Throughout my brief stint as an official BA, I've been lucky enough to learn about beers that were way better than I could've ever imagined (especially out-of-market ones). But alas, after all this time, I've neglected one of the cornerstones of American brewing: Anheuser-Busch. Aside from A-B owned/affiliated breweries, I have yet to review one of their official lines, despite having tasted them all at least once and even some of the novelty offerings they've put out in the recent past. So, here goes...

A: A hard pour yielded almost two fingers of fizzy head that dissipated fairly quickly, sitting on top of a transparent, ultra-pale liquid. No lace. Enh.

S: A clean, pale malt with a grainy smell. Doesn't smell too incredibly bad or good, for that matter, it's just kind of... there.

T: The taste itself is unremarkable. A very watery and weak malt intro, followed by an adjunct/weak hop (i assume?) flavor. Metallic and stale biscuit aftertaste. On a sidenote, it seems like an improvement when poured into a glass. Not much, but, what're you gonna do...

M: Low carbonation and just plain watery overall, hardly any body to this.

D: Everyone knows why this would be "drinkable" in a "chuggable" sense, so I won't belabor the point. Just not sure if I would have another. Nevertheless, I see for its designed purpose it could be considered drinkable, I'm just wondering who qualified their use of "the finest ingredients" it touts on the label. Also, where's the flavor? On a sidenote, I enjoyed this after a friend left one last can in my fridge, so there's no love/money lost.

CharlieMopps, May 15, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Extremely clear, light yellow - okay, urine-colored - with weak soapy head, no retention, no lacing.

Lightest of adjunct and cereal grain aromas. Hops? Evidence of fermentation? Not here.

Very thin, watery mouthfeel, flavor, and finish. Crisp, but only from overcarbonation. Malt? More like rice, and water. Husky grain in the finish.

Nothing to say when the brewer has done nothing to make "beer". Lightly alcoholic carbonated water. You're not going to consume fewer calories by drinking this, either, since they're so easy to make disappear.

BretSikkink, May 10, 2007
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Your typical American macrobrew light beer. Appearance is the expected straw-yellow. Aroma is weak and barely noticeable. Flavor is malty, weak and watery. Drinking this is more like drinking water than beer. I hope the next party I go to has some better beer selections; still, I had to try it.

Cyberkedi, May 08, 2007
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

appearance - Clear straw yellow with a small head but disolved. Carbinated. No lace.

smell - Very small hint of hops and mostly grain.

taste - Very watery, rice grain.

mouthfeel - Light body, watery, carbinated.

drinkability - King of beers? Haven't drank this is years, now I know why.

auxiliary, May 03, 2007