Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

Light straw-colored carbonated water. Had a faint smell of alcohol and cheap adjuncts. Taste was very very thin with hardly any hops and barely any body at all. Tasted more like ice-cold alcohol water than a beer. Consistency was thin and carbonation was medium/high.

Taste was too light to be enjoyable. Good for getting drunk, but tough to actually enjoy for the taste.

jdmorgan, Aug 30, 2008
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Good old butt wipe. In my early twenties I drank a lot of this stuff. No, more than that. I said a lot. So here it is 10+ years later and I've had a lot beers since then. A lot of good beers. Anyway, couple cans left over from a party. Why not?

With the can in my hand, a terrible flashback occurs. I quickly pop the top, chug the contents with 6 or 7 seven swallows, crush the can on my forehead and fling it like a throwing star at the closest moving body while belching out half a cubic foot of CO2.

But wait.... it's not 1995. And this isn't my bachelor pad. And I just knocked out my two year old with a flying can. What have I done? Oh curse you, bud light, tainter of taste buds, and ruiner of lives!

Ok gimme a second to dust my little girl off and then try this again.

Pours clear as can be with the faintest yellow tint. Looks like my morning wizz after a sixer of stone pale ale. Poured it hard to create a head which swiftly runs away. How does that wench do it in the commercial?

Smell is indescribable and light. Wife says "smells awful." I will henceforth call this fragrance the 'light beer smell' to be polite.

Taste is nonexistent. Wife says "corn." Maybe one kernal of corn boiled in fourteen gallons of water.

Mouthfeel is rude and harsh carbonation.

Drinkability is high because it's like drinking beer water. Ice cold and pound 'em. Yardwork beer.

Overall: dear bud light, it's over. don't call, don't write

PatronWizard, Aug 26, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Cross between apple juice and a specimen. Good carbonation - soap suds lacing leaves quickly. Typical macro.

Wow - it really does smell like corn! Silage and not much else. Aroma isn't necessarily offensive, just pretty much nonexistent.

This has a spoiled bitterness to it that results in same aftertaste...boiled corn with a hint of hops. Stings a little.

Stale corn, puckering silage and a little fizz on the palate - that's about it.

This didn't taste horrible until I really sat down and thought about it. Can't choke this down unless nearly frozen. No BMC bashing here - this really isn't good at all.

IBUnit63, Aug 25, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It's better than Budweiser, which I never could drink. A barely drinkable, mass produced Pale Lager that only has a little bit of a foul taste to go along with the watery, sweet corn, grainy, malty mixture. I don't hate Bud Light but that may be because the Bud Light commercials are at least funny.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
1.98/5  rDev +7%

Pours a light golden yellow with minimal head and no lacing.

A slight metallic aroma and maybe a little corn meal.

Doesn't tastes like much of anything. Maybe a slight citrus taste but that's very slight.

Very smooth and watery. Semi-mild carbonation.

Once again made for mass consumption and not the enjoyment of tasting beer. I am drinking only for the purpose of reviewing.

Zadok, Aug 22, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Looks a little less interesting than a typical macro lager. Light yellow with barely a sizzle of foam. Smells like the urinals at a football game. Tastes like watered down stale...grain?. Too thin and lightly carbonated to feel much of anything but regret. Even using this in a beer funnel is shameful. Completely refraining from hyperbole, this is the worst beer ever created by man.

itcomesnpints, Aug 21, 2008
2.93/5  rDev +58.4%

Pours a very clear extra light straw in color with a full inch of 'down the middle' head on the pour. Head dissipates quickly yet the beer offers some decent stringy lacing through the glass.

Smell is of deep ricy adjuncts, yet not of the corn I expected. This alone puts this beer above many other brews I've sampled of the style.

Tastes of light malt and rice, and rather highly carbonated, yet typically cloaking of the style. Surely better in a glass than via the bottle, not sure I can say that for many an Amerian (macro)-brew...

HalfFull, Aug 16, 2008

this beer kind of burns my esophagus due to all the carbonation and lack of flavor. if i'm at a party and its free i might drink it but i would not pay for it. i can go without drinking if this were my only choice. this beer is not even good for beer pong, i would rather use busch light but definitely never natty light (both brewed by budweiser) so if your gonna buy any budweiser beer buy busch light, if its almost frozen its delicious (to a degree)

unfortunately this was my first beer and i almost swore away all of beers goodness because if all beer tasted like this, i couldn't handle it. i would probably be thinner and have more money, but i wouldn't be happy :-P

BoSox5902, Aug 12, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

Awww Bud light, the first beer I cut my beer baby teeth on....even though it isnt the best (or even close to the best), I will always have a soft spot for this...on to the review!

A: Poured into a frosted mug from a pitcher. It was a very light yellow color, very clear, and initially had a 1 finger head, which disappeared into nothingness before I set the pitcher down

S: Smells like Bud Light....hard to describe the exact smell, but its kind of sweet and weird

T: Very thin malts, rice is predominant, and alcohol also makes a cameo appearance. Its light, crisp, and very clean. Spot on for the style

M: Like water

D: Good, because it is so light

I can drink a 12 pack of these and not suffer any ill effects. I prefer better beer, but when I'm slumming it (which is quite frequently as of late), I'm not too proud to buy some Bud Light. It doesnt taste bad, and if I drink enough it gets me where I want to be!

1099, Aug 07, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, this is Bud Light. We haven't gone through a day of our adult lives without hearing those words together on TV, radio, etc. But in a post InBev aquisition and because the plumber left a big ass can in my fridge, I thought that the time had come.

Is this good? Of course not. But is this the worst beer on earth...definitely not. I broke out this can (at least 20 ounces) while I lit the coals, pulled weeds and wiped off the patio furniture. And I think that is exactly what this beer is for. August in SoCal and having a Bud Light enormo can while doing lawn work.

I am not here to defend one of the biggest selling beers on the planet, but understand the context for having a beer like this.

opwog, Aug 06, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -6.5%

I normally don't review a beer in it's various packagings (bottle, can, tap, etc) unless the beer actually differs in each container.

I hear people say all the time.."Do you have X beer on draught?" and if the waitress/bartender says no, only in bottles that person will bypass that beer in favor of another choice.

Bud Light is as ubiquitous as water or Pepsi in my neck of the woods (being so close to St. Louis and all), and I actually can detect some difference in each packaging since I've downed gallons of this stuff since I was 15.

In a can, Bud Light is a very sub-par offering and on tap it's slightly better. In a bottle (and I mean actually gulped from the bottle as opposed to being poured into a glass) this beer is refreshing while being completely tasteless.

There is something to be said for not smelling this one and just pouring from the bottle into the gut. This is refreshing, but not tasty at all. Drinking from the bottle preserves the carbonation more than pouring this into a glass, and that fizzy raspy feel makes this even more like an ice cold soda-pop.

I think that this is why Bud Light is such a huge seller. Lay people (non-BAs) just want to drink something cold that gives them a buzz, and this is what Bud Light bottles are all about.

pmcadamis, Aug 06, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

Well I've put rating this one off for a long time, truth is I haven't had one since I started rating beers. Downed a handful of these this morning during a golf scramble. No great or even good redeeming qualities, another light beer that will only give you a headache.

kinger, Aug 04, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +53%

Poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was cereal grains with a slight hint of malt and hops. Taste was cereal grains, but for an light lager I caught some hops and malt. Thin, a little more water with a lot of carbonation. Not much flavor but you could pound a lot of these in a sitting.

tbeck, Aug 04, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

It's high time I got reacquainted with this old stalwart. I'm not ashamed to say that I've had many, many a Bud Light bottle/can/keg/draft/Popsicle/hamster/40/Qt./tallboy, but none of it in quite a while. I've certainly never subjected it to any sort of judgmental scrutiny, but for this encounter I selected a 24-ounce can, "Brewed with only the finest ingredients for a refreshingly smooth taste". Says them.

Anyway, poured into a tall weizen glass the can yields a pale golden straw body capped with a huge whitish head of three fingers that settles to a ring, leaving no lacing on the glass.

Smell is damned near negligible, and what there is, well, it isn't good. Stale toasted cereal. Metal. What does mercury smell like? What the Hell was I thinking when I used to drink this stuff on a regular basis?

The taste is watery with a flat note of wet bran cereal and a tang of sour spent grain. At approximately 22 ounces remaining of the original 24, Bud Light proved my most voluminous drainpour to date. I hate to play "Pile On", but the beer really, truly, truly, sucks. Donkeys.

cvstrickland, Aug 03, 2008
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

My friend noticed that I was reviewing beers on here today so he thought it would be funny to have me do one on this.

Purchased at the gas station down the street. Born on date of July 3rd, 2008.

The Pour - Poured it into my beer mug and watched its alka seltzer like foam action create a soda like head. I literally looked away and then looked back and the head was completely gone!

The Body - Pale yellowish tan.

The Nose - After several tries I was nearly convinced that this beer did not have an aroma. I did finally notice a vague scent of grass or maybe hay.

Mouth feel - Much like seltzer water or club soda.

Taste - The light taste, or I should say, what seperates it from Seltzer Water is the faint flavor of adjuncts, ie: corn and veggies. After a few more sips I have to pause to belch.

It is obvious to me that beers such as this are not meant to be sipped or enjoyed but rather quaffed, "shotgunned", or beer bonged. Not really the type of thing that I am interested in anymore. Being that I live in Busch territory many of the local establishments exclusively carry AB products, especially if I venture out into the rural areas. When confronted with this I typically opt for an Amber Bock if they have it, or else a regular Budweiser or Coca-Cola for that matter, but this stuff is just too light for me. It is supposed to be smoothe and refreshing but I suppose an ice cold seltzer water is as well. Might as well save my money and pick up Stroh's or PBR instead for something with more flavor.

Bobo77, Aug 03, 2008
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a high degree of effervescence (like a soda) but no real head to speak of.

Smell: Nothing beyond a small hint of apple with some sweetish corn notes.

Taste: Rather watery straight from the first sip. Sweetish cereal taste with the faintest hint of apple. No real hop flavor or bitterness, though. Sad, watered down corn kernels on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Is this a joke?

ChainGangGuy, Aug 01, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

I just had one of these at a baseball game where it was the only beer available. I was glad to have something to quench my thirst. Like other American light pilsner-style lagers, the color is very pale and the flavor is difficult to detect. Very little head or body. But, hey, at a hot Texas ballpark in July, it does help you beat the heat without adding too many calories to your belly budget.

jushoppy2beer, Jul 29, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

A. Grabbed a few cans from a friend's fridge at a party. I didn't bother pouring it into a glass, but there was some in plastic party cups at the beer pong table and it appeared very light.

S. Trademark Anheuser Busch smell. Slight corn, cereal grains.

T. Really bad. Cooked corn broth with a moderate bitterness. Not appealing and worst of all, THEY WEREN"T ICE COLD. OH HEAVENS NO. The inadequecy of this beer is flamboyant.

M. Light carbonated piss water.

D. I had a few, since I was thirsty and they were free. I shut myself off after 3. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Stinkypuss, Jul 27, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz can to pint glass (almost seems crazy to pour any macro, but hey), pours a crystal clear golden straw color, white head fades, high carbonation

smells of appley adjuncts, not much else

taste is crisp, light, carbonation takes away most flavors strangely, watery, extremely easy to drink, corn, rice, light malt

mouthfeel is crisp, highly carbonated, everything is way too light for my tastes.

drxandy, Jul 23, 2008
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

this beer pours a clear amber with minimal white head. The smell is not complex and all and just reminds me of drinking cheap beer. The taste is very slight with the mildest flavor of nuts with no hop taste @ all. The mouthfeel is ok I mean its not the greatest tasting beer but its not uncomfortable in my mouth. I must admit it is a beer I drink after I am buzzed... purely for monetary reasons, can't justify to myself drinking quality beer when I am not there enough to enjoy it.

Biggness, Jul 21, 2008
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Like many, I drank a Bud light because it was the only choice at a gathering. There is really nothing to be said for this bland brew -- it completely lacks any presence or complexity. BL tastes faintly beer-like, but definitely not malty or hoppy, although there is a cold well-carbonated crispness. It's sad that BL reflects the quintessential american beer taste.

skiboy, Jul 21, 2008
1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

This beer is thin, watery, has barely any smell, and I can't even describe the flavor, because this beer makes me literally gag. So I guess you could say the aftertaste of this beer is vomit. I wish I could give it a zero on taste and drinkability. I don't understand how my friends can chug these by the bucket at a bar.

cubbyswans, Jul 17, 2008
1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

Crystal clear light golden colored beer. Quarter inch frothy white head faded to a thin coating on top. A handful of carbonation bubbles can be seen rising.

An extremely sharp rice aroma. No bittering effect of any hops noticeable. A very strong plastic scent finishes up the nose full. No balance to scents.

Crisp taste of gains has a dominant rice presence but does have a slight bit of malt show through. A bit of a hops bitter comes through without much accompanying flavor.

Watery overall mouth feel. Large carbonation burst. Taste does cling a bit to the tongue.

Overall an unimpressive brew. Good for washing food down on a hot day. Best thing to say is, it could be worse.

RedChrome, Jul 13, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Two words best describe this beer to me, reliable disappointment.

Thin yellow with a grayish white head.

Smells of cheap ingredients and crushed dreams.

Taste is a colorful delight, a dazzling brew that shows what motivated people can do with barley, hops, water and yeast... Just kidding, it blows.

This beer gets the job done but its not worth the damage to my liver to drink it. In my opinion its one of the worst beers in the world. Its drinkable with some salt and a lime and also if ice cold and in a beer bong at a college party.

jbphoto88, Jul 13, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +83.8%

Apperance: Poured 12 oz can into mug, 1/2 finger of foam quickly disapears. Bright golden yellow, lots of carbonation.

Smell: Grains, water and a little alcohol.

Taste: Watered down Budweiser. Not really a bad thing.

Mouthfeel: Stays wet in your mouth, mostly watery residue.

Drinkability: The best, just pop the top and drink, smooth nothing offensive left in your mouth.

NOOGIE, Jul 12, 2008