Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: This would be a 1 if not for the initially impressive head, which is tall, dense, and snowy-white. Body is far, far less appealing, probably the palest, most sickly-looking beer I've ever seen.

Smell: Golden delicious apples, boiled peas, and boiled cabbage dominate. Very bad, but also (thankfully) very weak.

Taste: Like the appearance and aroma, the beer's taste is quite weak. Flavors are so undetectable, in fact, that it is difficult to review. On the plus side, it's quite clean and crisp. It's good with salty and/or fatty foods, which bring out the beer's hidden malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clear, no finish at all. Good for the style, I suppose.

Drinkability: This is as drinkable as any light beer - goes down easy if you just want a thirst-quencher, but if you want something that you can really enjoy, look elsewhere.

soulgrowl, Feb 28, 2006
3.23/5  rDev +74.6%

Purchased from the gas station by my apartment, Huntsville, AL.

Dated 25 JAN 06 on the bottom of the bottle -- less than a month old, and in a can. Should be pretty fresh.

Poured from the 16 oz can into my favorite pint glass, using "proper" pouring method and a beer straight from the ice. Creates a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Almost perfectly clear body, looks like slightly yellowish-tinged water. The head sticks around for awhile, but leaves no lacing.

Very sweet corn malt in nose. No hops present, slight yeastiness in the back of the aroma. Not a whole lot there, but what's there isn't precisely unpleasant.

Flavor is, again, a slightly corn on the tip of the tongue, with a grainy texture as the beer is washed around the palate, and an astringent "yeasty" aftertaste. Aftertaste passes quickly, leaving the palate ready for more.

Mouthfeel is thin here, but this is very much to-style, making the beer easier to drink for long periods. Could be a bit more pleasant (astringency gets in the way), but the mouthfeel here isn't half-bad.

This tastes like nothing, which makes it very drinkable -- nothing to get in the way of pouring it straight down the gullet. Consumed as a BA would consume it, the beer gets very astringent and unpleasant as it warms, so drink it while it's cold. It's not my cup of tea, but there's a reason why it's the most popular beer on Earth, and I'll take it before a lot of craft beers in a heartbeat.

danielharper, Feb 26, 2006
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, "born on date" on the label for "freshness". I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours yellow but very pale... almost water-like. It's almost completely transparent with a 1/4" head.

Smell: Almost a grainy smell, but you really need to try hard to find it.

Taste: Light... very light. You can slightly taste the grain which presents itself and then backs away. Very dry finish and almost no hoppiness present at all. I will say that Bud does a great job of consistency for such a light beer. Nothing impressive to taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too impressive. Most of the action is due to the carbonation dissolved within.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but not very fun. I got bored after number 2. I really want something with substance.

Notes: I'd pass on this.

BlitzShadow, Feb 24, 2006

Drinking budweiser is one thing , but bud light? Why? Well it was the only beer in my fridge ( left by someone) . Poured a watery , crystal clear and oh so pale yellow. Large head as a result of me takening out my aggression , (caused by no better beer) by pouring as fast and hard as possible! Smell is lightest of malt and adjunct. Taste is same , not much of anything to describe. Mouthfeel like water with a shot of beer in it. It is very drinkable... out of a funnel.

Byeast, Feb 21, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

Very weak beer. Appearance is very light yellow/golden. Smell is inconsequential -- nothing really too it. A little grainy and bitter -- just like the taste. It's smooth going down -- cos there's nothing to it! So, you could drink a lot of these w/o really enjoying it and taking a long time to get any type of buzz going. Less filling than Bud, but has less taste...and that's not saying much.

oldirtycaffrey, Feb 18, 2006
1.85/5  rDev 0%

Pours a pale yellow with a medium-sized, foamy, white quickly diminishing head. Very little lacing. The smell is of weak grainy malts and that’s about it. The taste is very light, clean and lacking in character as I expected from domestic light. Nothing really offensive, but nothing good either. More weak grain and hardly any detectable hops. It has a thin body, weird semi-slick texture, and lively carbonation. I guess it actually wasn’t that horrible surprisingly. It’s a small step up from Coors Lights (not like that means much of anything), but I still was left with thinking “why bother?” after I was finished.

ski271, Feb 16, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Decided to try this just to remind myself why I drink good beer. It definitely served its purpose.

Poured a very pale yellow with only a hint of a head. Moderate carbonation could be seen.

Smell was very faint, perhaps a hint of hops.

Taste was strange. Very mild hops but very stale tasting. Basically, this was very bad tasting water.

Mouthfeel was acidic on the tongue. Very light.

Overall, this was worse than expected. It is drinkable, if you want to be able to drink a couple six packs in a night. Not sure why you would want to do that when so many other options available [though you can't drink as many]. I could possibly see drinking this on a very, very hot day when this beer was served ice cold....that's about all.

atigerlife, Feb 13, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -27%

Poured a pale straw color with a foamy head that leaves some lacing around the glass. Smell is clean but like most macro lagers has a slight smell of creamed corn, just really bland. Taste is much of the same, no pronounced flavor, nothing that I could get enjoyment out of, I would like to see some hops come through, just a little at least. Mouthfeel, overly carbonated and intended to serve ice cold, perhaps to hide flavors, good or bad, within? Drinkability, I could imagine this is drinkable for many, but I could maybe have one in a sitting, and then not have anymore again, ever.

badbeer, Feb 09, 2006
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

Ordered a bud light on tap, it was served in a plastic disposable cup (well, proper glassware does improve the beer experience, and what could be more appropriate?), it appeared pale macro lager yellow with a minimal head. It went down smooth, like a nice glass of carbonated water, with just the slightest kiss of hops to remind you this is supposed to be beer. This is beer to guzzle, it is either lawnmower beer of the highest order, or it is the lowest common denominator that serves to keep beer as low brow as possible in America. Is the keg half full or is it half empty? That is for you to decide.

Drew966, Feb 08, 2006
2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch of foam, along with carbonation bubbles.

Smell - Nothing special.

Taste - Much weaker than the regular Bud, very watered down.

Drinkability - Out of all of the macro lagers, perhaps in the 2nd tier of beers. Would still avoid if possible--think about it, do YOU ever add water to your favorite cheap beer?

palffyfan, Feb 03, 2006
1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

The appearance is the best thing about this beer. It's sickly pale yellow but it does have some decent foam which sticks around on the edge of the glass awhile. It smells like very faint grassy hops. On to the taste.

...I'm still waiting - after my fifth or sixth sip I finally realized that there is no taste. Simply amazing. Body is nonexistant. This is the second worst beer I've reviewed to date.

PatYoda, Jan 14, 2006
1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

Watching "Braveheart" last night. Go to the fridge to grab a beer. There is only one there. A 40 of Bud Light left by my brother in law from New Year's (sigh). Decided to do some tasteing so that I can write a review.

Decanted the 2005 vintage into a pilsner glass. A little forceful pouring and the narrow glass created a foamy, white 2" head that quickly faded to nothing. The appearance does NOT look like urine the way some people have said. No, no, urine has more color. It is a very pale yellow that is perfectly clear with a few bubbles coming up. The color almost reminded me of a Riesling or maybe a paler Chardonnay.

Smell, none.

Taste, You know how gatorade now markets water with a hint of lemon flavor? This is their new product. Water with a hint of beer and carbonated. Very carbonated.

Mouthfeel, carbonated water.

Drinkabilty, If you don't mind the taste, lack of aroma, and general un-beeriness you might could have finished the whole 40. I couldn't.

sammy44, Jan 13, 2006
1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

The only bad thing to say about this "beer" is the complete lack of anything to say. Very mild and fizzy, slight vegetal notes, no doubt from the adjuncts used. The only reason to drink this is to get trashed. With that in mind, the least they could do is raise the ABV. Anyway...

Appearance- Crystal clear light golden.

Smell- Watery and vegetal. No discernable hops.

Taste- Bland and watery. Slight malt note but no sweetness at all. Again, no hop presence at all.

Mouthfeel- Much like soda water.

Drinkability- I'd imagine after about 5 or 6 of these things they get pretty drinkable. Hope I never get to that point.

kirok1999, Dec 23, 2005
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer was tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a Can.

The beer pours a pale yellow with a thick white head that dissipates quickly and does not lace. It just smells of nasty corn. There is very little taste that is dominated by corn and rice. The mouthfeel has some overpowering artificial carbonation and is watery. Overall it is tough to drink. The adjunct flavors just take over making me heave to try to drink it quickly. However it is light enough, to not be as offensive as it could be if these flavors were stronger.

MSchae1017, Dec 21, 2005
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

I was meeting some friends at the local watering hole and my friend comes to the table and I ask her what she is drinking. Another friend of mine says it is a french beer and makes up a french sounding name and asks me to try it.

Why?

Because I had been trying to get them to try a variety of beers that night and extolling the virtue of good beer. My friend was trying to see if I would praise a beer just because he claimed it to be a micro. I took one sip of the beer and put it down. I picked it up and I took another sip. "This is just water" I declared. I was trying to get any sort of flavor out of the beer at all and could not find any.

Bud light is just for people who want to get lit, there is not other reason anyone would drink this swill because there is no enjoyment in drinking this whatsoever.

It wasn't till later that they admitted that is was bud light, Nice try guys.

maddamish, Dec 20, 2005
1.85/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – Totally translucent pale straw color.
Smel/Taste – Not much there in the smell department. The faintest of hops. Smells like beer. Tastes a little like beer. Nothing stands out.
Mouthfeel – Thin and watery. Bubbles tingle my tounge. A bit sticky, but even that is mild.
Drinkability – Incredibly easy to drink. Everything is mild
Notes – This is the first in a series of reviews as I clear out my college fridge. I have quite a little macro collection from party left overs.

akajimmyd, Dec 19, 2005
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Served from draft into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden color with a white head.

Smell: Not much aroma. There is also a slight hint of corn but like I said there is not much of an aroma.

Taste: Slight hint of malt and corn and that is about it. Not much flavor at all. Also a slight metalic flavor is present.

Mouthfeel: Thin Mouthfeel, very much like water.

Drinkability: Very drinkable because it is just like water.

bahumutx, Dec 13, 2005
1.85/5  rDev 0%

i'm taking a critical look at this to see what i can make of it.
pale, pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to the faintest of rings around the glass.
the aroma is somewhat sour with a faint grainyness, and a *hint* of floral hops. i might be inclined to give this a 2 here if there were any real aroma to hold onto, but it's barley perceptable.
the taste consists of some slight vegetable sweetness, and a little grainyness. thats about it.
the mouthfeel is quite dry and has a watery and seltzer like body. blech.
i can drink it, and i've drank large amounts of it when in the company of friends, but it's nothing i'd ever go to because i enjoy any of it's qualities

kmo1030, Dec 11, 2005
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a lovely urine color with only the slightest hint of a head. Smells like stale yeast, much like a beer glass that has been left on the counter over night. That, and corn chips. Tastes like carbonated red licorice and corn. Delicious! Mouth feel is thin with a lot of carbonation. I must say, this is a few steps closer to drinkable when it's on tap.

DarkerTheBetter, Dec 09, 2005
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Well, when you can't afford to splash out just a little, or there's not much of a selection. I guess it will just have to do. This has never been, nor will it ever be a first choice for any real beer advocate.

Even in high school I was able to splash out just a little, and gone with something a little better in quality and taste.

Unfortunatly, althought this is one of the best selling beers in the nation, I'm sure most of that has to do with price, and availability as oppose to taste.

Better than Miller high life, and comparable to Coors Light. I would give this a miss, unless your really desperate.

Indy :o)

indysamra, Dec 05, 2005

One of the few beers that I will flat out turn down.

No redeeming qualities whatsoever. More expensive than drinkable cheap beers macro swill like High Life, OML, and PBR.

Pale yellow and fizzy with no head. Smells like musty, rancid water and tastes about the same. Mouthfeel is fizzy water. Drinkability is non-existent. Some seem to find it easy to drink, but I can't stomach it.

Avoid at all costs.

jewski, Nov 23, 2005
1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

A yellow straw color with a small head,it did have alot of carbonation.This smells alittle fruity,but not much else.This tastes like water that is beer flavored.It's light and watery,but as far as a macro light goes it stands up to the other swill.The m/f is light and watery.I don't think I would ever try this again,but it's still better than other big macro lights.

jmz62565, Nov 14, 2005
2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Served in a thick mug,this beer pours a white fizzy head that rapidly disapates.No laceing.No cascadeing.Just sits there.The color is light yellowish.The aroma is corn and slight alcohol.The taste is like the nose.Light and watery on the mouth, goes down easy.I can say this beer is rated low for a reason.Not much to remember,and i would not recommmend spending money on this.

-Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Nov 11, 2005
2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Is there anyting that I can say that hasn't been said before? Very light in color, not much to smell or taste. It is a gateway drink. It is for teens who havn't had anything else to compare it to. Not a horrible beer, I would rather drink many, many things over this though. If you think that this or any other American light beer is the only one out there, try something else. Who knows, you just might like dark beer and not even know it.

The only reason that I give this beer a 3.5 on drinkablity is because the price is right. You can hardly argue this. But never forget, you get what you pay for. I have a soft spot for AB, this was the first beer that I would call my own. Every now and then, after a long hard day of work, I still like to sit down with a cold tall Bud light.

Mitchel, Nov 09, 2005
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

This brew is currently what the youth of America are supping. God help us. Hey, there is a lot to say about marketing and right now the ads carry this beer. Poor students can certainly get a plethora of better tasting cheaper brews: Miller Lite, Pabst, High Life, Schlitz, Golden Anniversary. If it is due to calorie intake (biggest marketing scam in modern day next to tartar control toothpaste) then there is no doubt that Miller Lite or Amstel Light have more beer taste.

But don't get me wrong. If I'm out playing wiffleball or at Fenway and my buddy comes back with a cup of Bud Light. I'll drink it. There are times when it is okay. There are just way too few when it is right.

haggis, Nov 05, 2005