Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

My friend always has a ton of "Bud Lightski's" in his fridge. He knows I'm not usually going anywhere near them. But every once in awhile I let down my guard and take his challenge. I always regret it.

It's basically like drinking straw flavored carbonated water, if anyone would ever do that. Why is it so carbonated? Where are the hops? Why did I do this? Not the worst beer I've had in my life, but the worst I've had this month.

sloejams, Nov 06, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Bright yellow color, clear, thin white ring of a head, some tiny bubbles rising

S- Mostly metallic smell, hint of malt and hops

T- Metallic, pale malts, corn, slight hops

M- Light/medium weight, very carbonated, oily finish

D- If you're just looking to get drunk, then I guess it's ok

Typical macro-brewery light beer. Not much flavor and not much to talk about. I guess it serves it's purpose.

iceball585, Nov 05, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle with born on date.
Pours a yellow to almost clear liquid with a head that diminished so fast that I wish i woud have shook the bottle just to get a head. Smell like any other light macro beer, not much to it. Smell of corn and a hint of barley.

The taste is not really even there. Small malt flavor, big corn/rice flavor. No hops even noticed. Like drinking beer flavored gatorade.

I know I'm not supposed to slam a beer, but I have to say one thing. I drank hard liquor for years, because my friends and family always had Bud Light or some other Light Macro, these were the beers that I was first introduced to. Because of this, I did not really like beer until my mid twenties, when I was first introduced to Sam Adams(A macro that USA can be proud of). Then I realized that there were other beers out there that tasted like real beer. I can't believe that I hear people always saying that they prefer Bud light, but can't drink Coors Light, or Miller Light etc.... This makes me laugh, because they all suck!!!

metallistout, Oct 28, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

A- Light golden color, with rapidly diminishing head.

S- Smell of faint hops.

T- Tastes bland and watered down. That is about all you can say about it. Nothing standout-ish what so ever.

M- Very carbonated and just watered down. NO backbone.

D- Drinkable beer with a minimal shelf life. Drink these with your boys while camping or fishing, but if you have a choice, stay away. Not good.

MMAJYK, Oct 26, 2007
2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

well, i'm down to the last thing in my fridge, so here it is ; pours a transparent straw-yellow w/ a fluffy white head that lasts awhile, not much lacing ; a faint "macro" aroma, not much else ; very dry, almost non-exsistant ricey taste, i almost feel an IBU in there too, but I'm not sure ; a negative mouthfeel, I think it's wetter than water & lighter than air ( after drinking some REAL beer anyhow ) ; well, i'm on my third so it is drinkable as hell ( though i do type slow )...

animal69, Oct 25, 2007
2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

If you want a light, smooth, fairly flavorless American lager, this is your beer.

Pours clean and clear.

Smells clean, with the slightest grain aromas. In truth, smells almost like nothing.

Tastes very light, clean, and just slightly grainy. Tastes like watered down beer.

The mouthfeel is light and very watery. Bud did not go overboard on the forced carbonation - the carbonation is fairly perfect.

The drinkability isn't terrible. The bad marks on flavor get averaged in with the "goes down like water" element of drinkability.

This is not a beer man's beer. But, like I said, if you like light, smooth, flavorless American lagers, this is your beer.

AlHam, Oct 22, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz can with the "born on date" clearly marked at the bottom of the can

Pours a very pale yellow with 3 fingers of foamy, white head. Shows a sparkling clarity and good carbonation. The head is mostly diminishing, leaving no lace. The smell is light, mostly of grainy malts. I also picked up a slightly doughy yeast aroma. The flavor is extremely light up front, with small amounts of cereal grains in the middle, and a faint acidity at the end. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a thin/watery texture. Some fizzy carbonation and a mildly chalky finish.

Overall, this beer is what it is. It's an ultra light brew that goes easy on the body and flavor so as the make it easy to drink. As far as I can tell, it is well fit to the style that, let's face it, has somewhat low expectations. It seems that this beer tries so hard not to offend, that it misses out on some important attributes such as fullness of flavor or a noticeable hop presence. Admittedly, not one of my favorite styles, but for me there is just not enough here to keep me coming back. One and done.

littleshamrocks, Oct 16, 2007
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Color is very weak watered down apple juice tone. Smell is horrific, taste is typical of cheap light beer. Mouthfeel is fair for a light beer. Drinkability is horrendous.

Of the big 3 light beers, Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light, this has to be my least favorite. Not sure what kind of preservative/additives are being used but I'm certain I'm allergic them. This beer gives me a headache in the back of my head that I only get when I eat chinese food with lots of MSG.

I try to pass on this beverage except for when I'm stranded on an island and this is all the natives have to survive, even then it is difficult to consume.

mashedpotatoes, Oct 09, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

Had about 8 of these on Saturday night. The beer pours a straw yellow with a small white head that is quickly gone. The taste is nothing special but it is smooth and goes down easy enough. Drinkability is obviously high because you can pound 8-12 no problem. This obviously isn't the best beer in the world (I didn't give it the greatest of marks either) but seeing it rated so poorly kind of made me sad. I first cut my drinking tooth on this stuff and it'll always have a place in my fridge.

brewshakes, Oct 09, 2007
2.9/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a bright yellow color that really looks watered down with a short white head. The aroma is of mild hops and malt, but only faintly. The taste is not much different but it is carbonated accordingly. The high carbonation and low taste makes it go down nicely which is why its drinkability is so high. This beer could be used with the intention of getting drunk, except that it is more expensive than other beers that will do the same. If there were a value column, this beer would get a 1.0 or lower if that were possible. The taste is not worth the price.

erosier, Oct 08, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Forgive me father...for I have sinned.

Dont ask me why I did it. I am not proud, but it was in the fridge. am I sorry...yes. Will I do it again...maybe one day. Did I enjoy it...no.

Flavorless, ugly, hopeless...hate to call it a beer. One step from becoming the leftover mass of a decaying pile of trash collected from a prison. It is easy to drink though...then again so is water.

You may also find this same review in my profile one day if I ever decide to paste it into another great accomplishment of human brewing history...such as coors light, PBR, Natty, Beast and done even get me started on the High Life. If you go out of your way to go to the store...wait on line...spend your hard-earned money...and slowly kill your liver...you mind as well make all of that worth your while.

DrinkSlurm, Oct 08, 2007
2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance- It lacks in color a very so-so pale yellow. Usually over foamed no matter what with huge head and a moderate lace.

Smell- The smell is very basic malt and hops but for the most part weak.

Taste- There is not much to the taste at all. It is watered down a little bit grainy and very mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel- crisp but mildly bitter.

Drinkability- Alright for parties and football games if one of your friends bought it.

MTNboy, Oct 08, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

What can you say about this beer? It has an extremely pale golden color. It certainly has a sweet smell. The taste is bland with a corn/grain flavor that is not appetizing, especially if it warms up past super cold. Bud Light's best quality is its mouthfeel, being as it is refreshingly crisp from a high carbonation. For me personally, the drinkablity suffers severely due to the flavors. The only way this beer makes sense is to get drunk, but honestly, you could achieve that much more efficiently, both monetarily and expeditiously, with liquor or a stronger, cheaper macro.

ShredVicious, Oct 05, 2007
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a SA pint glass. Don't ask me why.

A: Pours a clear, canola oil yellow with lots of carbonation and a rolling head of foam that fizzles out like that of a soda.

S: Smell is of corn and musty metal. If I tried any harder to get other complex smells, I'd have gotten a nosebleed.

T: Good question. I guess it tastes like slightly sweet, corn-flavored soda water. Like, if a sparkling water company carried a line flavored like corn.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp. Light and clean, just like a light lager should be.

D: It's the beer that you hate to buy, but if it's at a party, or you're just sitting around with friends, you'll drink a million of 'em, just to see how many times you can pee before you get drunk or dehydrate.

I would never buy any quantity of Bud Light for my own consumption. If it were a party, where I knew we were playing beer pong, or funneling, or even playing drinking games, I might consider it. For the money though, it's not even that great a deal, considering the Anheuser-Busch markup. Go for the Natty Light or Keystone, save some street cred.

Gambrinus1184, Oct 02, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

Goes to show you what a brilliant marketing campaign and a deep advertising budget can do for a beer. If you make it tasteless enough it will only offend people searching for taste. Pours pale yellow with little head that leaves quickly. Almost no aroma nor taste. Lacing is minimal. Overly carbonated. Drinkability is high, because of the inoffensiveness.

biggmike, Sep 29, 2007
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

Bud Light is probably the beer that sells the most out of all of the varieties of Budweiser that Anheuser-Busch brews. It has nearly no aroma (apart from faint corn undertones) and is obviously carbonated heavily but you can't beat the drinkability of this beer. You could literally chug this beer and not feel any difference from chugging water.

The mouthfeel is alright, but not stellar, which is surprising given its excellent drinkability. I'll have to experiment some more to examine the relationship between mouthfeel and drinkability.

xare, Sep 27, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Enjoyed last night at a BJCP class tasting. Although the samples were quite small, the analysis and dialogue of the beer was quite thorough. The beer opens with a fizzy pour, quaint head formation, and terse retention. Highly carbonated, even evident to the eye. Aroams are very faint, and pick up on a mostly cereal grain / light pilsner malt character, and a hint of green apples and sulfer. Tastes more grain-flavored and adjunct sweetened than malty. Hops may add a touch of balance, but do little to impart any decernable flavors or aromas to the beer. Basically void of meaninful taste. Texture is quite flat from the lack of malts, but abrasive because of the carbonation (carbonic bite). Finishes clean (but so does water), and with a shap snappy finish. Difficult to praise, or to criticize -- there's just not much there.

BEERchitect, Sep 26, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -27%

Had this from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Poured a straw yellow. Very transparent with no character going for it.

I tried to smell it. If I tried any harder, I would have had a nosefull of it. Very sterile.

I was able to taste a little corn and not much else. Still, the fact that I was able to taste something knocks it up above Coors Light.

Had the consistency of water with carbonation and was just as easy to swallow. Really, the only reason I can see for drinking this is to get as drunk as possible as cheaply as possible. Fortunately, that's not my bag, so there's no reason to go out of my way to have this again.

atrus138, Sep 26, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

I was poured a pint from the tap at Headquarters Bar in Mineral, Washington.

A: It was pale, almost yellow with a light frothy white head composed of inconsistnetly sized bubbles that receded to a scattering of bubbles acrosst the surface of the brew. No lacing was evident.

S: I had a very hard time smelling anything. I might have caught a whisp of starchy aroma but I'm not sure...it may have been my imagination or the pizza I was eating.

T: As with the aroma there was very little "there there: relative to the taste of this brew. It was refreshing given that I had applied a liberal dose of hot pepper to my pizza. Like a glass of ice water the brew eased my pain and so I give it praise for serving that vital function. There was a heavy carbonation that cleaned my palate from the non-flavor of this beer. No malts, no hops no...no...no.

M: Clean and crisp (due to the aggressive carbonation). Very light body. No aftertaste.

D: It was a good beer to complement my very spicy pizza. It was cold, wet, and carbonated resulting in a palate cooling and cleansing quality. -

Comment: If the choice is a glass of water or a pint of Bud Light and you are desperate for something to cool your spice burned taste buds...Bud light is as good an alternative as any and better than some.

dnichols, Sep 24, 2007
2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Got this one during football season where they had those promotions for free football T-shirt..i could'nt resist.
Very pale yellow that was crystal clear and minimal head that was bright white and no lacing.
Aroma is of lite fizzly water with very mild corn and grains...nothing else.
Taste is like sparkling water with some corn and grass and metallic aftertaste.
Thin and bubbly mouthfeel.
Another one of those highly consumable beers that you just piss out,very easy to drink...nothing much there at all...but drinkable i guess if your not into flavorsome brews.

GrimmReaper, Sep 23, 2007
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Well, since Oklahoma law prohibits the retail sale of beer above 3.2 percent ABV between the hours of 9 pm(!) and 10 am(!!), the big three got smart and started brewing "beer" at the 3.2 line. One cannot acquire the big three above 3.2 unless one leaves the state. Well, I left the state. Let's see what the rest of the country drinks.

A: Extremely clear / pale yellow. Head is...well, white with lacing being to the point of non-existent.

S: Smell is also almost non-existent. Adjunct grain galore! Mild, mild sweetness on the followed by minimum bitterness.

T: I got nothing. Okay, not nothing, but pretty damn close. Mild rice grains along with a nondescript sweetness that turns into mild bitterness.

M: Forget about it. Soda water, beginning, mid and finish.

D: Why even bother? It drinks like so much seltzer. Easy to do, hard to enjoy.

Upon drinking "real" Bud Light, I am further disillusioned with the beer drinkers of America. THIS is your call to arms? THIS is what you answer to? Go back to vodka. It's more efficient.

McStagger, Sep 21, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +51.4%

A- VERY light appearance. Pale yellow barely present.

S- Not bad. It definitely does smell like a Budweiser beer (as most people associate the smell of beer with Budweiser).

T- Watery flavor. Bizarre aftertaste. Probably not worth the fact it is 30 calories less than a Budweiser.

M- Seltzer, carbonation,soda mouth feel
D- Very high. I could probably finish off a 30 pack of this...and not feel a thing.

Guardian, Sep 19, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

On-tap at Michael's Bar and Grill in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a very pale yellow, with good, soapy, white head initially, but disintegrates quickly to nothing, and doesn't reappear on subsequent pours.

S: Very bad, very off-putting, smells of stale corn and skunk.

T: Although the smell is bad, the taste is not horrible. Tastes mainly of corn, a true corn lager, with a hint of malt and hops.

M: Very light, highly carbonated, though I sense a fuller body than most light lagers.

D: Not a bad beer for a light lager, definitely better than Miller Lite, but not something I would buy regularly, for my light beers I enjoy a nice German-style Helles or Pilsner.

Halcyondays, Sep 16, 2007
2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance - crystal clear, extremely pale straw color. Soda-type head that fades quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - light grainy smell along with a faint skunkiness.

Taste - as would be expected, not much flavor...but it's a macro light beer, what would you expect? very faint grainy flavor with an inkling of hops and finishes with an off-taste...slightly skunky.

Mouthfeel - very watery and way too carbonated. its got the carbonation of a cola.

Drinkability - if my goal is to sit down and enjoy a beer, this would be near the bottom of the list. But, if Im out and about and just looking to party all night long, this beer would suffice but I would rather decide on another.

Doomcifer, Sep 08, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

(Free can at a party) Appearance is very light, smell is very sweet with very little to no hoppiness at all. Taste is like pee- no, I've never tried pee, but I'm sure it's close to how this stuff tastes. I think the problem with this "beer" is that it's very sweet and light, without anything to balance, which is why PBR gets my vote for cheap beer of choice. Have never and will never willingly buy any Anheuser Busch product.

4 Points in mouthfeel... water also goes down nicely