Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

I had not had a Bud for a few decades since the last one i had had at a cookout was awful. But maybe I was just being a snob and it was a hot day at Citizen Park and I was thirsty. So I thought that a cold Bud can't be all that bad. I was wrong. The mouthfeel was like water but it had a vaguely beer like smell that made me think that this was going to taste like a beer. it didn't.

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Very pale yellow, actually has a decent head for a while.

Smell: Slim to none.

Taste: Minimal flavor, maybe a little hint of grain or rice.

Drinkability: For some reason Bud Light often gives me headaches even when small amounts are consumed.

Another softball refugee beer. I only have Bud Light if absolutely nothing else is available after softball games or when watching sports. Mostly because it gives me headaches. It also has very little flavor, so I go elsewhere if I want a light lager.

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Had to drink this as wedding beer and figured I'd give it a review.

A: Very pale yellow, highly carbonated, with light white head that fell quickly.

S: Malty, yeasty, sour.

T: Very lightly of malt and light lager yeast. Low hop and body.

M: Bland, slighly metalic, and grainy.

D: This is what it is, maybe the blandest of the light beers (Miller Light at least has some flavor, while Coors light has a wierd aftertaste). Meant for easy drinking and in signficant quantities, when you're doing that it fits the bill perfectly.

2.45/5  rDev +32.4%

A drier version of the American adjunct light lager. Whereas Miller is sweeter, Bud Light is a little drier with more pronounced carbonation showing through. Like Miller Lite, it is a definite beer for long chugging sessions. Buzz is guaranteed. So is an overflowing bladder and numbed taste buds, forgotten nights, discarded clothing, etc. A beer for long parties where sustainability is key and drunkeness is the goal. Taste? Seriously, WTF? Are we drinking this style for our dedication to craftmanship here? What the hell!

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Notes are from almost 2 years ago. I've had it since then, but only to remind myself of what could have been...

The color is an extremely clear, pale yellow. The head is a wispy, thin foam that leaves nothing behind.
The nose is incredibly weak but at least it's clean. Notes of grains and nothing else is pretty much it.
There's a terribly thin malt and hops balance that can hardly be tasted. There's some grain and corn husk, also incredibly weak. This is essentially flavorless.
The body is about the lightest it could possibly be without being water, but it is crisp. Carbonation is fairly heavy.
This is essentially seltzer water. It's terribly watered-down and flavorless and there's really no enjoyment in drinking it.

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

The ubiquitous But Light. Had a bottle over at my Uncle Mike's. Watery, to say the least. Very little flavor, but not unpleasant. No aftertaste, but not much actual taste either. As the ads say, quite drinkable, which is better than nothing, and low cal. I can see why people who want to get drunk fast suck these things down--you could down a six pack without noticing it.

3.1/5  rDev +67.6%

Presentation:
On tap at a local tavern in North Haven, CT.

Visual:
Extremely pale, straw yellow with a soft white head. No retention, but was poured in a frozen pint glass so I can't say whether or not it was the beers fault. Why? Why must the glasses be frozen?

Aroma:
Literally no smell. Faint hop presence, but mostly grain with a fresh crispness to the nose. Very cereal-like.

Taste:
Lots of grain, with corn/rice flavors on the palate. Minimal malt with no sweetness. Very tight carbonation opens up the lightness and provides a zesty burn in the finish. Leaves a coating in the mouth with a weird aftertaste - kind of like after eating a bowl of Cheerios. Light mouthfeel and even lighter body.

Overall:
This beer definitely lives up to the proud slogan of "drinkability". It's not in any way complicated or inspiring. The aroma is never there and the flavor is simple and mild. However, that makes it to be very refreshing. This would go greatly with Cajun cuisine or anything of the like. A perfect contrast to lots of salt and hot spices.

Cheers!

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

Pours from the 12 oz can a pale golden color with a foamy one finger white head. It's about as fizzy as one would expect. Aroma--I mowed my lawn late yesterday, too late to rake up the clippings because it got too dark. It rained overnight. The smell of those soaked grass clippings...that's the aroma of Bud Light. Taste is of club soda with a few ounces of beer mixed in. Mouthfeel is on par with the aforementioned club soda. I do give it high marks for drinkability. It has that, but not much else. Anheuser-Busch was wise to use the "drinkability" aspect of this beer as its sales pitch, because that's all it has going for it. I was offered the remainder of a 30-pack of this stuff (about 14 cans) at the end of an after-work tailgate party, and I accepted it purely to be polite. This beer was absolutely free and I still feel that I overpaid for it! I'll never cough up a dime for this, and the only way I plan on drinking this again is if my only alternative is dying of thirst!!!

4.03/5  rDev +117.8%

I chose this beer as my first review because it is so popular. Of course, popular is what it is in say the lemming population and that makes popular not such a good thing. The category is "American Light Lagers" and is reviewed as such. Otherwise, it would be asking who is better Dan Marino or Tony Gwynn? Michael Jordon or Wayne Gretzky? Also, some seem to review the most popular with extra low remarks as if being different is being cool. To the contrary, some review with too high remarks because it is the most popular beer. I have been trying out new beers as a hobby before it was cool. I would look all over though displays for singles that I have never tried because for the simple fact I was curious. I will never try to go out of my way to be bias on way or another or even try to be too un-bias.

This is my review based on "American Light Lagers": Appearance seems normal for a light beer except a little lighter than most beers which is not a negative for light beers because it suppose to be light in color. The lighter the better for light beer. A light beer with a Guinness color would make no sense and vise versa. Smell is dull. Nothing to write home about with the smell since it is practically odorless. Drinkability? It is quite possibly the most drinkable beer in the world. Great for parties and tailgating like I would even need to say that. Mouthfeel is good based on the fact it is an "American Light Lager" which it goes down smooth though I have drank smoother. Really nice taste. It is the benchmark that other American Light Lagers should be based on for better or worst.

Judging apples to apples and oranges to oranges it is the best American Light Lager to drink. Other reviews will be kiwis to kiwis based on its gender of course. This is my review and I am sticking to it!

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

You have to start somewhere, why not with the standard.

Appearence - Straight from the bottle. Even in the dark brown bottle, it appeared pale.

Smell- Corn, I guess. Not much here.

Taste - Not much there either, really more of an aftertaste than a taste.

Mouthfeel - Heavy carbonation. It is certainly smooth, like drinking club soda.

Drinkability- Here is where this beer stands out, I hate to cave to the advertising, but you certainly can drink this beer all night.

Overall, not great, but from the bottle at least it is the least objectionable of the mass-markets. D+

2.12/5  rDev +14.6%

i guess i should review them all, so here goes plain ol bud light. poured from can into pint glass (yes i actually bothered to pour into a glass for the review lol)

a- bright clear yellow, lame bubbly head disapates quickly leaving no lacing, no retention

s- very corny smell, thats it, just corn, disapointing but not off-putting

t- corn, corn, water, corn, ...

m- med low carbonation, very watery, very very light body,

d- i guess ill rate 3 for drinkability mainly on the price. its not a BAD beer, but its definatly nowhere near good. but being as cheap as it is it often winds up being the fall back party beer :( i wont turn one down.... buy i typically dont ever PAY for bud light.

2.62/5  rDev +41.6%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a pale crystal clear yellow with a one-inch bubbly head that dissolves quickly and leaves no hint there ever was one. Aroma is faint sweet caramel, no hops to speak of and a little bit of yeast? Flavor has a little more of that caramel flavor although light and has a touch of earthy hops. Very light-bodied beer which I suppose makes for easy and quick drinking. While its not good its also not completely terrible. Pretty sure I'd rather drink this from the bottle rather than a glass.

2.04/5  rDev +10.3%

a- not bad rreally. lacing and on the pour it has a pillowy white two finger head above the rim of the glass but a sad piss yellow. no retention but a light ring.

s- some floral hops and lots of metallic funk.

t- nothing positive about the taste, it just goes down.

m- thin and very bubbly, yuck light after taste.

d- right up there with the rest of them. It is in the i could drink this all day category but not because it tastes good.

but hey this is college for me and it is still a step up from what is at some parties. It was a good excuse to use my Denver aquarium pint glass, yaay!

2.73/5  rDev +47.6%

Hey, Bud Light is what the can says it is. A light beer. It's highly drinkable, shotgun friendly and a staple at any college or high school party. It has its purpose in the beer world. That said, it is virtually tasteless, unworthy of accompanying almost any food and really can't be enjoyed unless you're drinking to get a buzz or worse. I was stoked that I only had to buy a single can for evaluation purposes and not a 6 pack...let's put it that way.

Aroma:
Some sulphur (ever skied on Mt. Hood in the spring?), and I found some light citrus. No really, I did.

Appearance:
Big huge foamy head, creamy on top, dissipates quickly but at least it showed up. Brilliant pale straw color, I wish my brewery could filter so well.

Taste:
Slight floral taste from the hops, or did I imagine it? Grainy, but almost no detectable sweetness or hops for that matter. Watery aftertaste that fortunately goes away as fast as the head.

Mouthfeel:
Thin bodied as it should be for the style. Snappy carbonation.

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Clear, yellow color, with a small head.

Smell: Nothing. It had almost no smell whatsoever.

Taste: Light bitter flavor, but not much of anything. It had very little flavor more than water.

Mouthfeel: It feels like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not very good as it is too carbonated for me. It is good for beer pong, but I would rather drink regular Bud.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Yes, I am reviewing Bud Light...and I think I'm actually in a position to give it a fair review. Finished a particularly rough game of league flag football....lost a tough one, I'm completely gassed. Hell, I was gassed by halftime - we didn't have the players to sub, so I had to try to go full throttle all game.

After we lost, throwing a pick 6 on the goal line when a touchdown would have won it for us, one of the guys on the opposing team, apparently recognizing my effort, offered me a Bud Light. I took it, thanked him, and proceeded to down a medium jug of Gatorade. Got home, tossed the BL in the freezer. I think I'm ready for it.

Am I worthy of this American classic, this fizzy yellow beer, this liquid poem to the glory of the rice grain? We'll find out.

A - I choose a pokal as my drinking vessel. The can pops, I start pouring...and damn, is this beer ever fizzy. Actually a pretty nice head. Holy shit, is this beer ever clear. It isn't even fizzy yellow beer, it's fizzy non-color beer. It has no color. Active carbonation rises, maintaining decent retention. Aside from the disturbing lack of color, not a horrible looking beer.

S - Now the aroma, I don't really care for. Generic "beer" aroma, like what you would smell on a "beer" scratch 'n sniff sticker. You '80s children, remember those? I guess that's rice and corn I'm smelling....but you damn well know this beer wasn't meant to be smelled. I score it as such.

T - It really does have all the flavor of a bowl of plain white rice, with a surprisingly noticeable little alcohol bite. I guess that's to be expected, as there's really nothing to hide even slight ABV. I taste neither hop nor malted barley. Though I haven't let it warm much, it doesn't taste *bad*, there's just not much to it.

F - Like most light-bodied beers, it's burpy. And watery.

D - Well, for the first few sips, it *does* come off as refreshing, but that's a mirage. I could finish it, sure...but there just isn't anything to catch your interest in the slightest. You'd get far more out of a pint of Guinness Draught or Boddingtons, if you want something this light. As always, if you're going to drink it, drink it cold and quick. It starts to *decouple* somehow as it warms; not good.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

I figure I have to review this since I used to drink this before I got turned on to craft.

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a fluffy white head that disapates quickly.

S: Not much there. It smells a bit of corn and maybe rice. It is not offensive, but that is problaby because there is not much there to be offended by.

T: Again, not much there. Watery with more cereal grains with the faintest bit of hop bitterness at the end.

M: Very thin and crisp. As others have said, a dry finish. It is also highly carbonated.

D: You could drink these one after another. But one must ask themselves why have another when ther are so many other beers to try and enjoy?

A - Pale yellow. Clear. Bubbly head, dissapates quickly.

S - Not much here. Sweet. Corn? Sugar? No hops. Can't say it smells bad though.

T/M - Biting and overly fizzy carbonation. Flavor is worse than the smell. Very light but sweet taste. Mostly corn. No real malt or hops discernable.

D - Well, there isn't enough taste to hamper its drinkability. It's beer flavored seltzer.

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Mmmm, leftover bud light. At least the cooler still had ice in it. Pours a crystal clear extra light yellow color. Large-bubbled fizzy white head recedes to nothingness in mere seconds.

Smells pretty much like carbonated water. Maybe a light waft of sweet malts and rice. This might just be the most neutral smelling beer.

Taste is more of the same, carbonated water with just a mild sake-like rice alcohol flavor and touches of graininess here and there. I dont get any maltiness or hop flavor. I really think the carbonation adds the most flavor here. At least bud light has something other beers dont...drinkability ;)

This beer is very popular and loved by so many. I am not one of those people. It pours very light yellow. Neither the smell, nor the taste are desirable. I must say the quality is not good. There was a time when I liked this, but it was when i was a young boy and before I tried anything else. I can understand why someone from europe would laugh at the united states for making this. I hope Inbev can help.

1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

A-This on ST. Patty's day so it was green so it hid it's bland coloring.

S- It didn't have much of a smell to it at all.

T-It really does not have any flavor. It tastes like soda water that had one little hop put into it, it's not a very exciting beer.

M-it does not finish clean either. It tastes a little rotten at the bottom.

D-it's not my kind of beer.

Bud Light is good if you want to chug and get wasted w/ your friends and save money. But, I'd rather use Pabt's blue Ribbon for that because it's better than Bud Light. Bud Light is really not my favorite beer but man does the Bucsh company have an awesome theme park!

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

Did a side by side with Coors Light and it barely won. Pale, pale color pour wit a very thin ring of head. If you really try you can smell some faint grains, possibly some corn -but honestly it was really hard to smell over the food that was next to it. Tastes crisp, clean (as advertised). There's nothing to offend in the palate, but nothing to like really. I could drink a million of these but frankly I'd rather have something cheaper if I were getting something along these lines.

3.87/5  rDev +109.2%

A. Straw pale yellow. Pretty good amount of carbonation. Thin head

S. corny aroma, slight malt and hoppy

T. Sweet floral flavor

M. Seemed a bit watery. Enough flavor to call it beer but, mostly went down like water

D. Its a light beer. I like it when i party. Goes down fast an easy

Final Thoughts: Pretty much yellow water with alcohol. Haha some added flavors as well. Very drinkable

This has to be the worst beer in the world. I would rather drink Black Label any day, and I NEVER drink that. Even worse than Coors Light. I remember my days working for a landscape crew, and we would have to pick up dozens and dozens of these bottles before we mowed outside our local wings place where people had thrown them off the balcony into the grass. I think this says something about the type of person who would order one of these awful excuses for a beer. That's not fair, they just don't know better (at least I hope.) OK, OK. I know...No slamming. Excellent marketing, really. I hope that InBev can improve on this product. It was amazing to me how many people bemoaned the purchase of A-B by a BELGIAN company because they'd "ruin the beer!" A. Too Late. B. Please "ruin" it. Make it something like an actual beer.

A-Bath water
S-Sour, maybe a bit of malt.
T-Bath water.
M-Bath water.
D-I really can't get through one without acute, sharp pain behind my eyes. Seriously. I have no idea what it is in this beverage that causes this. Arsenic?

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Palest yellow with a fizzy white head that fades really quickly into a skim. Smells shitty and faintly sour, rice and other spent grain round out the nose. Tastes dry and faintly of used up adjuncts. Watery, seltzer mouthfeel. Drinkable only at a ballgame out of a plastic cup when you're truly parched.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch