1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,888 | Reviews: 1,257 | Show All Ratings:
sharlie

4.19/5  rDev +126.5%

This is my all time favorite beer, for a everyday drink. Whether its after a long day of work or even a tailgate day where you are out drinking all day in the sun, this is the beer for you. It is a light beer that is nothing special. Served cold out of the bottle is best for this beer. It's look is light and carbonated with little aroma this beer is good for any occasion.

04-29-2013 12:49:24 | More by sharlie
Roguer

Connecticut

1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

A - The definition of average. Pale, straw-colored, and clear.

S - There is very little smell to a typical Bud Light, but what smell there is can only be described as "skunky."

T - This is as close to undrinkable as a beer can be for me. BL doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, and what flavor it does have is extremely bitter (maybe a hint of wheat). Much worse, the bitterness can't be nailed down to "pine hops" or "floral notes;" no, it's just plain bitter, as an independent quality. I again refer you to "skunky."

M - A little oily, but this isn't a beer that I want coating my mouth at all. It mostly goes down smooth, so there's that.

O - This beer is perhaps the least-aligned brew with my own preferences. When I enjoy hoppy bitterness in a beer, I need it to be balanced and flavorful; this is neither of the latter. I cannot stand what little flavor is present. That bitterness might work for other people (judging by the average score, however, it does not), but when it's not balanced with anything else, it's just not for me.

04-28-2013 19:59:52 | More by Roguer
armiakhe

3.56/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought the bud light was very good. The appearance was a light yellow coloring. The smell was of wheat and a little malt to it. THe taste was very crisp and refreshing and I enjoyed it a lot. Best out of the bottle but the can was alright too. The aroma was not that good and was a little bland.

04-26-2013 12:32:00 | More by armiakhe
Catherine8189

3.33/5  rDev +80%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served straight from a tallboy. Golden yellow appearance and a classic light beer. You can drink a lot of this beer. American beer taste. Toasted grains really come through in the aroma and taste, but there is not much flavor diversity beyond that. A very refreshing beer that has a lively, highly carbonated mouthfeel. Smooth taste, with bubbles, and with very little lingering aftertaste.

04-25-2013 23:39:36 | More by Catherine8189
GarthDanielson

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a tallboy into a shaker pint. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I used to drink so much of it before that I almost feel compelled to give it a shake now. The beer is a pale, almost clear, yellowish coloring with a frothy white head that quickly settles into a sparse coating of filmy, white bubbling. Fast, moderate amount of carbonation bubbling. Aromas of toasted grains, and not much else. Flavors of not a whole hell of a lot. Seriously. Clean, with some toasted grain characteristics, but very subtle. Aftertaste is funky, with a slightly floral and sour character to it. Clean, crisp finish. Very neat and clean brew, but lack just about every other quality.

04-06-2013 03:56:22 | More by GarthDanielson
BlueMoon10

Mississippi

3.55/5  rDev +91.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This by far is my favorite beer that I know can be found anywhere and is light allowing you to drink on it for hours at a time. Basically between Coors Light, Miller Light, and Bud Light, I will always go with Bud. Now having said all of that it by all means doesn't make it the best. It terms of flavoring and sipping on a beer to enjoy its creativity this obviously isn't the beer for that. It's about as simple and generic as a beer can get but it does have drinkability going for it.

04-02-2013 21:49:58 | More by BlueMoon10
bbluemzbeer

3.6/5  rDev +94.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am reviewing against other light beers. I drank this for my first beer and cold. It is pretty good. The poor rating on the site is ridiculous. Is this number one selling beer in America ? Because it is horrible or the millions they put in their advertisement. It is not the taste or quality. You think America consumers is that stupid.
Here is the honest review

Appearance : Yellow lager. I got little watery lacing run down the side of the glass.

Smell : hint cereal grains.

Tastes: It is taste like America style light. It taste of grains , corn and malt. It is better taste then some other light beers. Dry and crisp and actually very easy to drink.

Overal: This beer is smooth, crisp, refreshing, balanced, easy on the tongue. I wanted a light lager. I got it! I was not looking for ale, stout or wheat beer. Would buy this again ? On special occasions but I take a Busch light or natural light over this because price

04-01-2013 15:33:41 | More by bbluemzbeer
sam_bliss

Washington

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours from the blue can into the globe glass and immediately a huge three-finger head forms. This tops a clear, golden light-yellow lager, but only for a while. The foamy head reduces to just a thin bubble-cap over the next couple minutes. This beer has amazing clarity, which is augmented by the light color; as close to colorless as beer gets. The first sniff is slightly sweet, and the second brings light alcohol and stale grains with a bit of that sourness typical of adjunct lagers. Tastes a tiny bit sweet and lightly malted. Feels refreshing and crisp.

By now the head has left the beer naked. Very little hop character is present to offset the mild corny flavor. The extremely understated pale and bready malts allow bland adjuncts to leave Bud Light quite watery in the mouth. Seltzer watery, specifically. It reminds me bit of dry sparkling cider because of the light body, tingly carbonation, and very weak aftertaste of tang.

I guess I prepared myself for even worse, but BL pretty much sucks. I cannot imagine how poorly it would taste if it weren't super chilled. Even Bud Light Platinum is significantly better, at least according to my review. Get me an ale! Or at least a real lager...

03-13-2013 03:10:18 | More by sam_bliss
GreesyFizeek

1.23/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

A lot of disdain for this shell of a beer.

Pours a clear, watery yellow. No head, no lacing. Active carbonation. Just a stunning appearance.

Smells like nothing.

Unfortunately, it does not taste like nothing. I taste some light corn and metal. As the beer warms up, the taste becomes atrocious and makes you wonder what's the point of living.

Very light bodied, crisp mouthfeel. About the only plus here.

Ha. HA. HA. ha. ha. HAHAHAHA

03-06-2013 00:40:21 | More by GreesyFizeek
Danomeister

British Columbia (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

A Remarkable Absence of Flavor --

Phoenix, AZ - the heart of the American Southwest. Here, at the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the pulse of red state America is crowned with the roar of the 45 jet engines and for a few sacred hours, the air fills with the shrill ecstasy of speed, fury, and corporate sponsorship.

Bud Light is crucial to the race environment, lubricating the proceedings and driving the fans into a watery, dream-like state. Complexity, character, and flavour are traded in for the easy consumability and mass appeal which characterises the entire event. In this context, Bud Light becomes a symbol, a quaffable embodiment of the American spirit. It fills the drinker with a crisp, slickly produced, dilute sense of pleasure that quickly fades and leaves a curiously hollow feeling; a sense of longing and dissatisfaction that can only be recovered with another $7 purchase.

My first sips of this beverage, from its embarrassingly designed aluminium bottle, were remarkably absent of any sensation at all. When cold, this beer is indistinguishable from soda water. As it warmed, a soft, sweet flavour appeared to fill the drink's middle space. None of this was unpleasant; in fact, I was impressed by the skill with which this beer was executed. In the end, there are no faults, flaws, or any hint of character whatsoever. There is energy here, but no substance.

03-04-2013 04:12:09 | More by Danomeister
Wrigfen

South Carolina

2.11/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Will drink it if there are no other full beers or Miller lite on the low cal side. Not horrible but not something you should seek out if you have choices. If you must drink light go with Miller. But this one is better than Coors, which seems to be the three major light beers in my part of the USA. I have not tried the MIchelobe light's or ultra's so I can not compare them.

02-23-2013 19:16:14 | More by Wrigfen
The21ner

1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

The worst beer I've ever had. What is the point of drinking a water-down beer i may ask? Original Budweiser was nasty enough, yet they managed to make it even worse. Every time i watch a bud light ad on TV, i feel the need to puke my guts out. Bad bad beer. Can't help but wonder what is wrong with the fellas buying those 12 or 18 can cases. Must have their taste buds damaged or something.

02-22-2013 21:40:44 | More by The21ner
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.34/5  rDev +134.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bud Light is one of my favorite beers that is not going to break the bank when you go out, or just want some beer around the house. The taste of Bud Light is good,while the smell is just average. I have always liked the texture of it as well. It is a good and relieble beer.

02-20-2013 18:51:01 | More by RyanLaCount03
EdgeT

3.78/5  rDev +104.3%

This is among my top 3 favorite weekend beers. This beer is very flavorful and quite enjoyable to drink but some enthusiasts would think this beer is overdone with flavor and lacks traditional beer qualities. I would definitely recommend this beer when you want to go out an have fun or even if you are just chilling at home. The can however could use some work. The logo is simple and i like that but they can do a lot more to improve the appearance of the can.

02-20-2013 03:40:25 | More by EdgeT
BierStein711

2.65/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Not as bad as I thought it would be. But, it is not great like so many of my BMC friends say.

The appearance is what you would expect. Almost transparent gold color with a white head that quickly fades.

Smells of water and rice

Tastes like corn

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but its oddly refreshing.

If you would keep this beer cold its okay, but once it warms up,.... I'd pass it by.

Overall, this is a very boring beer. I

02-09-2013 06:33:58 | More by BierStein711
BradMacMullin

3.1/5  rDev +67.6%

12 oz can with a born on date. Poured into chilled glass

A: Extremely clear and yellow-ish beer, with no head and little lacing.

S: Nothing here.

T: No hops or real overwhelming taste. Very light and dry, with a faint malt taste.

M: Light carbonation, and with decent crisp aftertaste

O: People kill this beer, but it is what it is - an extremely cheap beer that is good in situations where you want something consistent and reliable. Not a great beer, but for the value, I think is right on the mark.

02-03-2013 20:37:52 | More by BradMacMullin
SometimesIfart

2.43/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

You know, After drinking quite a few terrible light lagers, I'm inclined to re-review Bud Light.

A - Drank from the bottle so I don't know.

S - Creamed corn, Slightly malty, Rice adjunct, A bit hoppy as well.

T - Follows the nose almost completely. Creamed corn and lots of it, Rice in the middle, Some decent malt as well and some slight hops in the finish.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation.

o - I know a lot of people bash this because it's an InBev product, But realistically this is one of the best Light Lagers you will find. I've had some terrible light lagers that are rated far higher than this simply because they are from another brewery. Easy drinking, Not offensive at all and actually has some flavor, Which is rare for the style. It isn't a craft beer, And it doesn't pretend to be a craft beer. You can do MUCH worse for the adjunct style.

01-22-2013 00:26:20 | More by SometimesIfart
flagmantho

Washington

2.39/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light yellow hue with a haze-free body and strong effervescence. Head poured a thin layer of frothy white foam and dissipated almost instantly. Blah.

Smell: light plastic-like aroma which is mostly inoffensive but doesn't smell like beer should. It smells much more chemical than biological, you know?

Taste: bland malty flavor, really quite watery. I haven't let it heat up to the point where it gets offensive yet, though. It's actually a bit too dull to be truly off-putting. Bland, boring, mostly tasteless, but not overtly revolting. So there's that.

Mouthfeel: extremely light-bodied, but bubbly and refreshing. Certainly adequate for a light beer.

Overall: I don't hate this beer. I just don't happen to like it very much. It can be said, however, to be refreshing on a hot day when served cold. Still, there are much better beers in the cheap-swill class which do a better job under those circumstances than Bud Light.

01-21-2013 05:17:31 | More by flagmantho
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.28/5  rDev +77.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on January 18, 2013.

Wow! I thought I had reviewed this one. But what can I say? It pours straw yellow with a lot white fizzy head. That gets a higher grade because that's the way these beers are supposed to look.

Aromas of corn, light malts, and even a little apple if I stretch it.

The body is light, which is the way it should be for a light lager.

The taste is very typical of an adjunct light lager like this with a pale grainy malts and a clean hop finish. It makes sense that this beer is popular among the masses. As a craft beer it is weak but for its style it is right where it is supposed to be.

01-19-2013 01:14:24 | More by puboflyons
Chalkhead

I used to go to a now defunct pizza joint in Greenville, n.c., they had this on tap, warm for $1/pitcher. No flavor, no nothing. I am no aficionado, but this is the beer of college students and people who hate their kidneys. Avoid at all costs, please.

01-17-2013 16:57:59 | More by Chalkhead
mnrider

Connecticut

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz. Brown Bottle. Twist Off. Born on Date. Well at least it's fresh.

A: Pours as clear as water with a faint pale yellow tint. A small ugly white
head forms and turns to nothing before the pour is finished. I didn't expect
any lacing, but did get a little watery lacing run down the side of the glass.

S: Almost nothing here, besides the sweet cereal grains.

T/M: Tastes like carbonated water with the remote inclusion of alcohol.
Dry and crisp and actually very easy to drink. Not sure if any malts were used
or any hops as I can barely even identify them in the taste. The dry sweet grains
dominate and the finish is again dry and pretty clean.

O: One of the worst light lagers I've ever had. Only good for drinking games or
for the person who actually likes bad beer. I've written too much.

Cheers

12-29-2012 21:06:27 | More by mnrider
StArnoldFan

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

I don't get all the hate for the BMC's on this site. Did everyone start out drinking craft? I know I didn't and I can also say I'm not, nor will I ever be too good for a Bud. I feel there is always a time and a place for it. If I know I'm going to drink all day, like tailgating at a Texans game, I'm going to bust out the Bud rather than an IPA or stout. I'm not even going to break down this review and tell you color, taste, ect. because you should already know what a light lager tastes like. In my opinion this site is more about learning craft/micro brews that you possibly cant get or find so you read about them. This beer is too easily accessible, you want to know what what it tastes like, go buy one.

12-29-2012 00:21:40 | More by StArnoldFan
Mavigo

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

Figured I'd put this into the database, it's gonna get ugly. Pint.

A: Clear yellow, no head, fizzes like soda and is bubbly. No lacing.

S: Can't really smell anything, grass, grains, corn?, that's about it.

T: Bleh, something you take a few sips then pour on the lawn or down the toilet, watery, light, tastes grassy, rice, corn, but just barely, tastes mostly like nothing.

M: No balance at all, no flavor, too much carbonation

O: Yeah, like everyone here knows, it's pretty bad, there's worse, much worse, but this is pretty close to the bottle of the well. I normally refuse this, just not me.

12-28-2012 05:07:44 | More by Mavigo
Mumps

Maryland

2.11/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I've had this in every serving style, but most often in cans.

Appearance is a pale golden hue with millions of tiny bubbles. Some foamy head with out much retention or lacing.

Smell is, well, lacking. It smells like beer, but no character to it.

Taste is much like smell, lacking. My favorite saying regarding Bud Light is not that it tastes bad, but that there is NO taste. Its like water with a slight bit of beer flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, quick and thin. It doesn't stay around long. Again, like water.

Overall, the only time I buy this beer is if I really need to do a beer batter. I'm not using good beer for that. Other than that, if given the choice between drink Bud Light on a budget or not drink, I'm choosing not drink every time.

12-22-2012 21:35:59 | More by Mumps
Scrylol

Alberta (Canada)

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a golden color with a fizzy white head.

Smells rather clean - no metallic smell, no skunk, but there is quite a bit of grain to it. No hop or malt presence.

Bland, very little taste. This is actually really close to water, there's only a hint of bitterness, and that's it really. Slight grainy taste. No presence of hops or malts.

Watery, and a bit too much carbonation on the mouthfeel.

Avoid.