1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,888 | Reviews: 1,257 | Show All Ratings:
rye726

Colorado

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

A pale staw color with a tan head. The mell is of old hops and some malt syrup. The taste is similar. Not much different than water. Sparkling yellow water that is. Bitter is the main component. Body is light with a heavy carbonation. Not the most drinkable light beer. Good for cooking perhaps? Pairs well with a NASCAR race.

05-05-2008 17:32:30 | More by rye726
ChopperSmith

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

I was given this beer for free at a ball game by a family member (who thought he was doing me a favor by buying it for me...and I appreciated the gesture).

Appearance: Very pale yellow, highly carbonated, with minimal head and no lacing on the plastic cup it was in.

Smell: Faintly sour and vaguely malty.

Taste: No hops, mostly weak malts and water...very bland and watery. Slight metallic taste. Became almost toxic tasting as it got warmer.

Mouth feel: Like carbonated water. weak and fizzy.

Drinkability: Uh, no. Sorry, but this is everything that is wrong with American macro brews. Watery, terrible (and almost non-existent) flavors and just a waste of time. Just another reminder of why I have NEVER been a drinker of light beers in my life. Hate the stuff, especially the big macros like Coors, Miller and Bud. It's just watered down bad beer. Yuck.

09-05-2009 00:12:23 | More by ChopperSmith
simmons

Oh boy, here we go...

Appearance: Pours a yellowish pale, straw like with very thin white head that goes away immediately leaving small traces of any lace. Extremely bright & filtered

Aroma: A small trace of sweetness from the malt followed by a mild graininess. Hops? come on, im reviewing bud light here (that means no chance in hell). It smells like the homeless alcoholic down the street, nasty stale...bud characteristic. This seriously smells what the local drunk smells like after a 30 day binge, I should know. The only reason I am reviewing this beer is because it was the last one left in the fridge after an alki went on a binge then found his was into the ER half dead.

Flavor: The first thing I noticed is an awkward sweetness followed by a funky grain taste. Did they leave the gain silo open? They must have because this tastes like a stale shoe left in the rain. As one would expect no hops. The aftertaste is just awful, a stale gain flavor. Something is funky here.

Mouthfeel: Super thin!! higher levels of carbonation, as much body as Deer Park water. The grain is balanceed perfectly by the high amount of water & funk.

Overall: I am glad that you are reading this. Seriously, I am drinking this pig piss so that I can tell all to stay clear of this beer. I feel as if I doing community service here. Malt is flavorless & funky, no body, awful aroma,....you know what Im done with this, to the sink I go...

10-01-2009 18:11:38 | More by simmons
Meeseface

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said already....

This beer looks, smells, and tastes something terrible and felt like I was getting drunk from can after can of water!!! The only use I can possibly think of getting such an offensive beer is for drinking games and even then I think its a bad idea.

Next time I find nothing but Bud lights at a party I'm sticking to soda or anything that actually tastes good.

03-15-2011 05:49:19 | More by Meeseface
Acho

Spain

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

If I were American, this being one of the best selling beers in the States would make me so sad (even if I come from a country where beer is understood as a yellow liquid).

Clear, oh so clear, not even yellow, more of a translucent beige colour. No head (what for?). Smell is inexistant, if any, it is of metal an raw corn. Bitter taste, I can not finish one of these.
No mouthfeel - it is like drinking carbonated water.
All in all, the worst beer i have had in my life together with Coors Light and Coronita. PBR beats the shit out of this and it is even cheaper.

01-22-2012 19:23:26 | More by Acho
grdahl

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

A watered down version of a watered down version.......

08-30-2001 13:08:13 | More by grdahl
BKotch

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Are you serious? To call this stuff "wet air" (thank you, William Least Heat Moon) is being too kind.

10/10/01 update: This is now officially the most popular beer in America. I'm moving to Canada.

10-10-2001 18:57:34 | More by BKotch
Boilermaker88

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Went to a big birthday party for a friend's son today and my friend points me to the bar saying, "get whatever you want." Well, I got something, (the only thing, it turned out) an ice-cold Bud Light.
Poured in a glass, this brew looks vaguely appealing to the unaware. A clear light golden hue with a fizzy, barely-there snow white head that dissolves in no time. That's as good as this beer gets. The smell is a rude assault on the nose, adjunct-laden sweetness followed by a sharp, penetrating medicinal note. The taste was something I'd not want to endure again in this life. Like biting into a riceball held together with Elmer's paste. Simply, absolutely and 100%-ly revolting. And that was while it was still near frozen. As I nursed it (why the hell did I do that!?), the repugnant flavor grew to nauseating levels and I finally knew I was beaten. The feel was even off; a weird, slick, cloying feel that belied the beer's light-bodied nature.
In retrospect, I guess I was just being polite. In the future, I'll come up with a good excuse (like, I have hepatitis) to avoid the near-destruction of my palate. Bud Light is, in a word: crap.

11-23-2003 04:49:50 | More by Boilermaker88
abriggs1

Connecticut

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

I can't even drink this shit anymore. Seriously, it's like you're unamerican if you don't have Bud Light at your party for all the people who have horrible taste in beer. I wish I could say this shit was tasteless cause then at least you wouldn't taste the rank ass they obviously use to brew it with. What's funny is I think regular Bud isn't that bad, but this stuff makes me feel like I'm not even drinking real beer. It leaves a hollow void in my mouth and in my soul.

12-20-2007 20:29:52 | More by abriggs1
alankwak

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Oh come on. You can't be serious. This is not beer. It a "beer like product". This has to be half rice syrup. They only use enough malt to provide the needed enzymes for the lager yeast to live I bet.
This is perhaps the best example of what advertising can do. People are led to believe they can stay slim by drinking this crap. That's how they sell so much. Otherwise folks would never buy this swill.
Headache in a bottle is what it is.
Here goes.
A: Light yellow, carbonated with no head retention or lacing.
S: What smell?. Oh can't identify the smell as beer related.
T: Hideous and week as a beer type "product".
M: Like water except thinner.
D: Undrinkable to anyone who knows the first thing about beer.
The only thing this "beverage" has in common with beer is that it's fermented I bet. Even that could be faked here along with the hops substitute.
The yugo of the beer world. Makes me ashamed to admit this is made in America. Pity.

08-24-2010 12:39:04 | More by alankwak
bobhits

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

This beer has been insulting my fridge since a friend left me with it. So what the hell review it and get rid of it.

Poured into a pint glass (sorry to sam adams for using a glass with their logo). Poured a white medium bubbled head that vanished in moments. A good amount of bubbles racing to the top of this beer, marginally large. Wow, clear and yes just yellow in color. Perhaps a touch of a golden wheat color, but really this looks light and flavorless. None of the yeast or density one sees in a good german lager or other lagers with character.

The smell is just awful. Sweet corn and alcohol? That honestly sounds way too good. Is it possible that this beer smells of water?

There is malt in this beer that isn’t awful, but the beer finishes with this metallic (this was from a bottle) and alcohol like finishes. I used to think of bud light as flavorless and over carbonated beer. Today this beer has a decent flavor to start that finishes in such an awful and terrible finishes that I truly am baffled why people drink it. This beer is only tolerable on the front of the tongue. Drink quickly (the norm) at the finishes is just painful going down.

I don’t understand the drink ability stuff. This is painful to drink. It is over carbonated, the finishes it terrible, and frankly just why do they make it?

I know this is odd to say, but there is a lot more flavor than people give credit to this beer. It has a decent malt start (for a lager) but it just goes to hell from there. That metallic/alcohol finishes is terrible. 4.5% and it has that kinda awful finish? So how do I score this beer? It is a light lager which I don’t get. It has as many calories as Guinness so I’m not sure what light even means. It isn’t diet as there are calories. It isn’t any more summer weather than something even like their “bud heavy.” Why do people drink this? Ultimately there isn’t anything about this beer that stands up to a good beer. Sure smell is offensive and the over carbonated mess with a lack luster flavor makes this thing completely undrinkable. If I could truly score this correctly I’d need negative numbers to properly explain how awful this over fizzed, vomit inducing smelling, mess works.

04-20-2011 22:06:21 | More by bobhits
mndlssphlsphr

Washington

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

The color is a very straw-urine yellow. The scent is about the same. The cost was a $1.99, and I did say I would try everything once. The head is what to appears to be a snow white cap, but when sighted closely we are able to visually dissect all the little mites crawling around and in deep meditation for discovering your eyebrows. This rushing river charged into my mouth to show its lack of density and viscosity. Yet, the carbonation is dominant, a nice feeling if you are an addict to club soda. There is also a last for everything, eventually the cosmos will do what is due. Just as there was no before, there is certainly nothing after. This was just a bit of suspended confusion, deeply looking into the eyes of the man next to you. You know who you are. It bothers me still that the percent is 4.2

05-01-2012 03:47:20 | More by mndlssphlsphr
Beercheer31

Connecticut

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

One day a man was taking a leisurely stroll down a cobblestone road with the wind blowing south to north and the temperature was about 68 degrees Fahrenheit. The man curiously looked at his shoes and thought "I need new shoes".

This short story is better than this beer.

Serving type: growler

08-06-2013 23:01:36 | More by Beercheer31
Danielplanview77

1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

This is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I cannot understand the obsession with this beer. I'm often forced to drink it at certain venues such as concerts where they only offer Bud Light and each time I'm reminded just how awful it is. There is not a single redeeming quality about this Beer.

06-19-2012 00:53:38 | More by Danielplanview77
The21ner

1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

The worst beer I've ever had. What is the point of drinking a water-down beer i may ask? Original Budweiser was nasty enough, yet they managed to make it even worse. Every time i watch a bud light ad on TV, i feel the need to puke my guts out. Bad bad beer. Can't help but wonder what is wrong with the fellas buying those 12 or 18 can cases. Must have their taste buds damaged or something.

02-22-2013 21:40:44 | More by The21ner
fas11030

1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

Probably one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. I don't know how Annheuser-Busch and all the stores that carry this product could distribute this "beer" and be okay with it. Every bottle leaves you feeling sick and unsatisfied. Absolutely terrible. This beer is basically piss.

11-27-2013 23:41:02 | More by fas11030
scottum

Vermont

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I asked the bartender for a sample of this (I've never had it before) and he looked at me as if I were crazy. I knew I didn't want a whole pint, I just wanted to see how bad this crap really was. It is bad. Pale pale yellow. Tastes more like water than beer. I'm not sure why people drink this. Yuck!

02-23-2003 15:43:55 | More by scottum
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest.

11-03-2003 00:25:17 | More by feloniousmonk
UDbeernut

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

A party beer that gets very skunky if it is not served ice cold. The taste is very grainy. The color is gold, almost yellow with very little head. At this point I asked my self if i wanted to continue.

For the money your better off with Miller Lite if you are looking for a light brew.

01-16-2004 03:14:30 | More by UDbeernut
CrescentFresh

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

A friend of mine bought a 12-pack of this for $11.99. This was $2 MORE than my 12 of Sam Adams (on sale).
I gave it a generous 1.5 for appearance as it was clear, but was pee yellow with no head. All other categories received a 1, as this is as low as the choices will allow.
It smelled like soap.
It tasted like it had grass in it.

Overall, I had to give it 1 out of 5 swills.

04-15-2004 13:44:59 | More by CrescentFresh
Higravity

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I have had this many a time but during a boring wedding reception I had time to taste and do a review.

Apperance: Yellow food coloring added to water, little white head no lacing at all.

Smell: Almost no smell at all, just a slight smell I associate with concetrated urine.

Taste: Water mixed with poorly distilled vodka some. Yuck

Mouthfeel: Water

Drinkabability: My stomach was threatening a rebellion so I left this nasty beer on the table.

05-23-2005 14:22:22 | More by Higravity
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

473ml can
4.0% ABV

Brewed in Canada by Interbrew's Labatt division

I tried this beer (for the first time ever) on April 14, 2008 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer pours a very translucent pale yellow (almost clear with yellow food colouring added to give it a tinge of colour). The aroma is weakly malty, with nothing else. The mouthfeel was very thin, watery with little carbonation. The flavour was watery as well, again water with a little bit of artificial beer taste added. I have to admit, while there was nothing spectacular about this beer, it went down very fast.

05-12-2008 02:58:50 | More by cyrenaica
dennarb

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I had not had a Bud for a few decades since the last one i had had at a cookout was awful. But maybe I was just being a snob and it was a hot day at Citizen Park and I was thirsty. So I thought that a cold Bud can't be all that bad. I was wrong. The mouthfeel was like water but it had a vaguely beer like smell that made me think that this was going to taste like a beer. it didn't.

06-29-2009 04:35:15 | More by dennarb
jdspears41

Kentucky

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I have had bud light many times throughout college and have never cared for this beer. I gave it one more shot the other night and poured it into a frosted mug.

A- It looks like spring water with a little yellow food coloring in it.

S- It really has a foul smell to it.

T-It leaves one of the worst aftertastes in your mouth after you drink it making you not want another drink.

M- Very waterlike and makes you want to burp after a couple.

D- I would rather not drink then to drink more than one of these. The commercials scream drinkability, I scream gross when i drink it.

Dont waste your money on this.

02-17-2011 19:46:24 | More by jdspears41
Gtreid

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I typically like can beer, I have a bad feeling about this. It has probably been 3 or more years since I've had a BL.

A: Yellow. Pretty fizzy head, no lace, no retention.

A: Corn and maybe some light pilsen malt.

T: Really, why I am drinking this? Tastes of wet corn, maybe some rice, but really just like corn flavored water.

M: None.

O: This is pretty bad. I hadn't had one in a long time, and it will be even longer till I have another. Bad. Stay away at all costs. Skal.

05-09-2011 16:48:24 | More by Gtreid