Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,368 | Hads: 5,440
3.3/5  rDev +71.9%

In my modest pursuit of the Golden Mean of budget beers, I use three criteria, admittedly not all that strictly: cost, flavor, and strength. I use 5% as a flexible general standard of strength, which will seem low to the micro set, but in this league it is a reasonable standard. Ice beers are mostly stronger than that, but generally at a flavor cost the Rumpole palate refuses to pay. Light beers rarely reach this level, and since they cost no less, are likewise generally passed over. However, the lunch-break pub to which I on occasion retire for refreshment, which heretofore had PBR available on tap for $2 a glass, recently gave the PBR up, for reasons which I'm frankly still a bit vague. The least expensive beers they had, on draft or in the bottle, were Bud Light and Miller Lite on tap. I ordered Miller Lite, but was misheard as Bud Light, rather a case of selective hearing, I suspect, as I later noticed of the dozen or so bottled options, eight were from A-B. Hence, here is the unlikely second Rumpole review of a light beer, the first also due to a flukish set of events.

I suppose I could gloss over the Bud Light label, since this sample is from the dear old tap, but since I happen to know what it looks like, I can't resist indulging in a little spleen; maybe if regular Budweiser didn't have such an outstanding label I'd desist, but since A-B clearly knows how to put together a class look, why does this label look more appropriate to floor cleaner than to beer? It must work, alas; A-B didn't get where it is by lousing up the marketing end of the brewery business, but still, one could wish success didn't have to look so ugly.

The beer itself doesn't look as bad, but pronouncedly not as good even as regular Budweiser, which is as pale as one could go and get away with it. Bud Light looks positively washed-out. The scent is a mere wisp of grain and herbs, scarcely registering on the aged beezer.

There is, candidly, very little flavor. A very light grain flavor, so light it doesn't really need a balancing hop top-note, which is as well, since there is almost none. To A-B's credit, there are no off flavors, and it has that refreshing smooth Bud texture and super-clean Bud finish. For a light beer, it acquits itself perfectly adequately; methinks the average score for this beer, taking type into consideration, is a tad low.

In sum, no sense not being sociable if this is what's being served; there's simply no way this beer could deliver offense. At 4.2% abv, it'd be as well not to be in any sort of hurry, but eventually the warm glow will arrive in due time. As far as plunking down coin of the realm, it's no cheaper than regular Budweiser, nowhere near as tasty, and you'd be surprised the difference a mere 0.8% would make. Even more problematic, there are cheaper options out there that are likewise stronger and better tasting, including A-B's very own Bud Dry.

So much for my take on the matter, however; light beer drinkers are quite simply looking for different things from their beer than I am with my three criteria; if Bud Light delivers on their requirements, good show for them, say I. I used to use beer as yet another means to look down on others, but thankfully those days are long gone. Light beer drinkers could care less about the opinions of beer snobs, much less ex-beer snobs, and there's no reason for that to change.

3.27/5  rDev +70.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on January 18, 2013.

Wow! I thought I had reviewed this one. But what can I say? It pours straw yellow with a lot white fizzy head. That gets a higher grade because that's the way these beers are supposed to look.

Aromas of corn, light malts, and even a little apple if I stretch it.

The body is light, which is the way it should be for a light lager.

The taste is very typical of an adjunct light lager like this with a pale grainy malts and a clean hop finish. It makes sense that this beer is popular among the masses. As a craft beer it is weak but for its style it is right where it is supposed to be.

3.25/5  rDev +69.3%

HEADACHE IN A CAN!....No matter how few i drink i always end up with a splitting headace. that being said its pretty much beer flavored water, no delecious beer taste, or any taste really, but its cheap always available and its a brew that you can slam all night long....let the party begin

(This is the beer responsible for making my liver hate me)

3.25/5  rDev +69.3%

Bud Light is my favorite beer to start when starting a session. It has a better taste than Coors Light and has less of an after taste. The color is light and relatively generic. The smell is relatively non existent. The taste is fairly good. This is fairly easy to drink. It's impressive by any means but I still enjoy it. It is exceptionally better when chilled. This beer in a can can be hard to drink one after another because the flavor becomes bland and dry.

3.25/5  rDev +69.3%

A great introduction into the world of beer, smooth and easy to drink. The beer you want in a bong. It will not get the love here because the lack of taste, but with out most wouldn't be here.

3.21/5  rDev +67.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bud light was one of the first beers I started drinking about 10 years ago. I never knew what beer was suppose to be like or if this was what all other beers competed against to the public. man was I wrong. I soon discovered other flavors, aromas, and depth in beers that bud light didn't offer. Although I do enjoy darker beers now I got to say bud light still holds a place in my heart. lets be real you can grab a 30pk at times for $16 during a major holiday or sporting event. Even if it doesn't hold up to other beers I'm sure it will be around for a long time to come. family and friends enjoy this pilsner beer and when its around I wont hesitate to grab one. cheers!

3.21/5  rDev +67.2%

Purchased from the gas station by my apartment, Huntsville, AL.

Dated 25 JAN 06 on the bottom of the bottle -- less than a month old, and in a can. Should be pretty fresh.

Poured from the 16 oz can into my favorite pint glass, using "proper" pouring method and a beer straight from the ice. Creates a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Almost perfectly clear body, looks like slightly yellowish-tinged water. The head sticks around for awhile, but leaves no lacing.

Very sweet corn malt in nose. No hops present, slight yeastiness in the back of the aroma. Not a whole lot there, but what's there isn't precisely unpleasant.

Flavor is, again, a slightly corn on the tip of the tongue, with a grainy texture as the beer is washed around the palate, and an astringent "yeasty" aftertaste. Aftertaste passes quickly, leaving the palate ready for more.

Mouthfeel is thin here, but this is very much to-style, making the beer easier to drink for long periods. Could be a bit more pleasant (astringency gets in the way), but the mouthfeel here isn't half-bad.

This tastes like nothing, which makes it very drinkable -- nothing to get in the way of pouring it straight down the gullet. Consumed as a BA would consume it, the beer gets very astringent and unpleasant as it warms, so drink it while it's cold. It's not my cup of tea, but there's a reason why it's the most popular beer on Earth, and I'll take it before a lot of craft beers in a heartbeat.

3.2/5  rDev +66.7%

Poured at the end of a long day into a plastic cup. Surprising head that lasted longer than i expected. No real aroma. Clean taste with slight sweetness. Rice? No hop aroma or flavor detected. Fizzy mouthfeel with lots of bubbles. Clean aftertaste. Thirst quenching and enjoyable. A tried and true staple macro lager.

3.19/5  rDev +66.1%

I have been drinking such great beers recently that I thought it about time to bring my senses back into focus. I had a feeling that a cheap light lager would do the trick. I do not normally drink light lagers, because I believe that finding a really quality light lager that I would enjoy would be a difficult task. I believe equally that making a tasty light beer is a difficult task, considering that one of the main goals is to eliminate excessive calories, which is normally not a concern of the great brewers out there. So, I picked up two light beers (Yuengling Light Beer for comparison) tonight and tried Bud Light from a 16 oz. bottle, which I poured into a pilsener glass. Born on date reads: 2/8/08

A: With a vigorous pour, I get a thick white head with fairly small bubbles sitting on top of a crystal clear, pale straw body. I am impressed by how long the head stays around for, especially after dissipating to a thinner layer on top of the beer. No lace on the glass and very little active carbonation present in the beer.

S: This is a very clean smelling beer. It is difficult to smell much of anything. However, there is the vaguest hop aroma accompanied by the typical AB smell. This shows up in the taste as well.

T: Rice and malt are there, much more than any hop flavor. There is the distinctive flavor from Anheuser-Busch beers, which comes from their Beechwood aging process, which personally I really like. I think it adds something where nothing used to be...Also, call me crazy but there are some light fruity esters that show up when the beer warms a bit.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied. This is what one wants in their light lager.

D: The Bud Light was easy to drink. And since I found that it wasn't lacking in character, I could have another. If light beer was something I wanted in my life, I might pick this one up again.

3.18/5  rDev +65.6%

This Is a good beer to have if you just want to get drunk! It's real light and smooth. Easy to drink! What I like about this beer is that you can get a lot of it for a low price! Not a beer to have if your looking for taste! This is a good beer to have once your full and want to keep on drinking! This is nothing special but it's a good beer to have when you just want to drink and save money!

3.15/5  rDev +64.1%

Graded Purely According to Style (though the word "style" might be offended...)

A: The only thing that might be lighter and fizzier is urinating after the 3rd or 4th one (Sorry to be so crude, but I thought it to be true). That said:

S: Salt, Seaweed, Campfire, Lowtide... I had this at the beach so even with my nose stuffed into the can - that's how it smelled - good times!

T: Completely inoffensive. Grain flavored, bubbly mineral water. No better, no worse - inoffensive.

M: Completely to style. Again - grain flavored mineral water, Very clean, very much Perrier. Very easy to session.

O: Very according to style, this is this common denominator, this is inoffensive, this is cheap, this is FREE with Mexican food at the after race party; so I can't bash it too much!! ;-)

3.15/5  rDev +64.1%

Bud Light is far from being a great beer but it is very easy to drink. It is pretty watered down but still somewhat enjoyable. Its got a yellowish color to it. Its not my favorite beer but one that I typically buy quite a bit for its descent price and pack size.

3.15/5  rDev +64.1%

BUD LIGHT. I prefer the A-B products over the "headache in a bottle," Miller. Bud Light has been slammed and even I will admit it is a cheap beer, however, the quality far exceeds the price. In comparison to other beers in the same price catagory, Bud light, provides the best taste and drinkability. Bud Light is thinner than Traditional Budweiser and the mouthfeel is lacking also.

3.14/5  rDev +63.5%

Ahhhh, the flagship of the Big Three -- the light lager.

It isn't offensive, it is just terribly boring. The taste is light and nondescript. There is the faintest whisper of grain (mostly adjunct), and a pleasant bubbly fizz that helps this beer go down.

Yeah, it isn't bad, just terribly boring. If I wanted the same sort of experience, but good, I'd hit up a Helles. I can see where they were going with this beer, but, man, just not that well executed.

3.13/5  rDev +63%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I rated this in comparison to other light beers. Obviously it tastes like piss water compared to stouts and pale ales. But as far as the pretty new light beers go, this one isn't the worst.

3.1/5  rDev +61.5%

On tap at a local tavern in North Haven, CT.

Extremely pale, straw yellow with a soft white head. No retention, but was poured in a frozen pint glass so I can't say whether or not it was the beers fault. Why? Why must the glasses be frozen?

Literally no smell. Faint hop presence, but mostly grain with a fresh crispness to the nose. Very cereal-like.

Lots of grain, with corn/rice flavors on the palate. Minimal malt with no sweetness. Very tight carbonation opens up the lightness and provides a zesty burn in the finish. Leaves a coating in the mouth with a weird aftertaste - kind of like after eating a bowl of Cheerios. Light mouthfeel and even lighter body.

This beer definitely lives up to the proud slogan of "drinkability". It's not in any way complicated or inspiring. The aroma is never there and the flavor is simple and mild. However, that makes it to be very refreshing. This would go greatly with Cajun cuisine or anything of the like. A perfect contrast to lots of salt and hot spices.

3.1/5  rDev +61.5%

This was the first beer I ever had I'v had a few other typ beers since then but this is I guess you could say a classic typ beer you should have at least a few times. Always buy bottles never buy beer in cans the tastes is just gross!! You will get gas from this beer not much but it will be there.

3.09/5  rDev +60.9%

12 oz can with a born on date. Poured into chilled glass

A: Extremely clear and yellow-ish beer, with no head and little lacing.

S: Nothing here.

T: No hops or real overwhelming taste. Very light and dry, with a faint malt taste.

M: Light carbonation, and with decent crisp aftertaste

O: People kill this beer, but it is what it is - an extremely cheap beer that is good in situations where you want something consistent and reliable. Not a great beer, but for the value, I think is right on the mark.

3.08/5  rDev +60.4%

I prefer to drink my bud light straight from the can. You've gotta make sure that the beer is nice and cold. If you let it sit too long in the hot sun, you might as well be drinkin piss.

Appearance – Light gold with a frothy head that disappears after a few minutes. Value those minutes.

Smell – Crisp, light and cool.

Taste – Cool refreshing dank and watery.

Mouthfeel – Easy to go down, cool and bubbly.

Overall – Its a bud light.

3.07/5  rDev +59.9%

okay, look..... it's, like, 86 degrees with low humidity and some sweat dewin' up on the brows..... got the Budweiser Christmas Horsey mug mom gave me years ago before she passed and it is chilled to frozen. Ice cold Bud Lite, poured softly, guzzled quickly, is really a damned fine brew. THAT is what bud lite is for!!! wish i had another one! all i have left are Jai Alai, Crooked Tree, Citra Showers and Tongue Tickles.... oh, and some Surly and some Resin..... hey the crummy stuff has its place! scores reflect the hot day, chilled mug and ice cold bud lite. i haven't had one of these in years.... like 20..... special thanks to Dethmtl scoring this outdated prize for me! he really didn't wanna give it to me; i had to twist his arm. beer number 1231 on BA!!!!!!!

3.07/5  rDev +59.9%

12oz can, born 8/25/09 into a Duvel tulip (gotta give it a chance, right?)

A: Typical light beer: clear, light yellow color with abundant carbonation. A fairly aggressive pour yields only an inch and half of coarse white foam that dissipates pretty quickly into a thin cap, leaving no lace whatsoever. Boring, but not unexpected.

S: I just finished having a Coors Light (yeah, I know, but I've got to review them some time), and this is light years better. Pretty much all adjunct aromas, but BL has a nice clean rice aroma - sweet but balanced, light but appreciable. It doesn't smell a bit like beer, of course, but it honestly doesn't smell that bad.

T: Tastes like...drinkability. Clean, fresh, sweet, crisp. Like the smell, nothing whatsoever like actual beer, but not unpleasant. When it comes to the big boys of the light beer category, Bud clearly does the best job creating an inoffensive swill. Watery, yet still reasonably flavorful.

M: Thoroughly boring; thin as water, but over-carbonated. Not so good.

D: This would appear to be BL's sure-fire category, right? Actually, yes. As laughable as "drinkability" is as a marketing campaign, there's no denying that this beer is easy to drink in copiously large quantities (the local BL distributor sponsors my rugby team, so I know this from far too much experience - man I wish we could be sponsored by DFH!). Not quite as watery as Coors Light, though, so I don't think this is quite the most drinkable beer in it's category.

Notes: Of the big three macro light beers, this is definitely my favorite. Miller tries to taste like actual beer, but only succeeds in tasting like the shittiest beer possible. Bud and Coors, on the other hand, try to make a beverage that combines a trace amount of alcohol with the mildest grainy flavor possible. Of this approach, Bud clearly does the better job. While not worthy of even the remotest amount of actual respect, BL is my go-to beer when I simply have to be drinking a light macro.

3.05/5  rDev +58.9%

Out of a 24oz. can this beer was a bleached, gold color with a snow-white head. The two fingers of fluffy bubbles did not retain very well but the lacing was pretty good. The aroma was of macro grains, hints of pale malt and sweet malt, a light sourness and some stale notes. The flavors were of pale malt, macro grains and faint floral hops at the end which added a crisp finish. I liked this better than regular Budweiser because it was not as astringent and was thus easier to drink. The mouthfeel was average or a little rough, the body was light and the carbonation high. Boring? Yes. But drinkable and good during a hot summer day.

3.03/5  rDev +57.8%

just as the saying goes you get what you pay for , and im not talking about the consumer the big bud has spent little and put little into this beer , no hops taste no barley taste and thats what you get it could be so much more ,but why bother it sells and so lets get to the bottom line . most consumers today are getting a corn product with an abv content.and less sweet than sum of those corn syrup mixes out there ,but little hops and little hopes that this beer will change for the better . thanks mass market cor-piarets for ruining american lager. but that said it will still get u a dui. oh and if this beer aint made from corn well please let me no what GMO it is .thanks

3.02/5  rDev +57.3%

appearance-very clear and carbonated and yellow/golden.

smell-smells like beer, smells very light and it smells different than a budweiser in my opinion.

taste-very light, smooth, no bitterness and no noticable hop flavor. very smooth.

feel-watery and fizzy

overall-good light beer. this is a get drunk beer in my opinion.

3.02/5  rDev +57.3%

A great friend of mine left a few of these in my fridge. I decided to crack them open and see what there is to see. The beer is a yellow, thin headed macro with a corny smell. This beer tastes like veggies from the crisper. The carbonation is moderate and the only thing that contributes to the mouthfeel. Drinkability is fairly high considering it is made to be consumed in high quantities by the least common denominator. A very average light beer..

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch