Microbrew Invitational

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,401 | Ratings: 5,647
1.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Served in a seidel, it pours a light yellow, clear, with a one-finger head, frothy, with some retention.

Faint sweet malts, corn. Almost nonexistent.

The taste follows the nose, barely. Actually, there is almost no flavor whatsoever, and that almost absent flavor fades almost instantly. Watery mouthfeel, a lot of carbonation.

So, this is only a choice if you are hot and thirsty and have no interest in flavor or aroma, at all.
However, this is the kind of beer that stained the pride and honor of all beers in the mainstream opinion. Not cool, budlight, not cool.

1.94/5  rDev +1%

Had it from the can because it was free.
Smelled of light grains and corn. That's a stretch.
Tasted like corn water.
Went down like water, essentially.
Overall. It's Bud Light. Read the other reviews. I prefer a Coors Light.

4.87/5  rDev +153.6%

I really enjoy this flavorful beer! The smoothness and taste of this light beer excels all other domestic light beers. Just enjoy the flavor and superior taste to this quality beer.BL outstanding!!

2.1/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap in pint glass.

Appearance: color is standard pale straw, small white head dissipates quickly. Moderate streaming carbonation and virtually no lacing.
Aroma: not much here (as with all light beers), some faint barley and other grains, no real hops that I pick up.
Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a too-dry finish. This is a beer that is so dry that it leaves me thirsty.
Flavor is so very mild. A bit of barley malt sweetness along with a maybe a slight hint of citrus in the middle and finish.
Overall: it is what it is. Loved by hundreds of millions, hated by millions. Personally I would never buy it (had this sample in a ’bottomless’ pint at a banguet. That being said, it’s not awful. Many say it tastes like piss, but I have never consumed piss so I don’t know whether that is true or not.

2.77/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Never before has the taste of cardboard, raw grain, and rice been so delicious. We all know what this beer is: lawnmower football-watching dive bar no-thinking thirst quencher. Except for the fizzy head it actually looks good in a glass, too, and the light body is second to none in terms of crushability. This beer also has a special ability: exposing people who take beer too seriously.

2.55/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

L: Golden body, long-lasting GMO head
S: Slight citrus, nothingness
T: Bitter metallic rice beer
F: Watery, sessionable
O: Drank my own piss, whats new?

2.46/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed at a conference. Pours a pale golden with lots of carbonation producing a bubbly head, Very light scent. Flavor follows the nose. While not overly impressive, this beer is a mass market lager that is meant to be sold cheap and enjoyed COLD. It does that very well.

1.68/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I thought I would give this one a try. I try to keep an open mind. Here's what I thought.
Look- very clear straw orange, big white head quickly dissipates . Very thin lace.
Smell- not good. Skunky, cooked veggies and rice adjuncts.
Taste- surprisingly lime like. Very watery, feels like a seltzer. Virtually no hops presence. Dry finish. Weird aftertaste.
Feel- extremely light bodied. Some crispness, yet, hard to finish.
Overall- This is not good at all. One and done for me.

2.35/5  rDev +22.4%

L: A very pale yellow color, has lots of carbonation but no real lasting head.

S: Overall I get a hint of pleasant fruity notes and a general hint of sweetness. No smell of hops to speak of.

T: The smell is deceiving, I expected some nice light malt flavor but got only the faintest hint of it. No hop flavor unless you gulp the stuff, which I would not recommend. Has an unpleasant aftertaste that gets worse as the beer warms up; now I understand why I see some customers at the bar I work at ask for another one once when it gets too warm.

F: Very light body, like carbonated water. It can be fun to drink if the city shuts off your tap water or something. Or if you are at a party in the the hot Texas sun.

Comments: I don't understand why so many people on this site think bud-light is evil or something. You get what you pay for, it's a cheap nearly flavorless beer purposefully created to be as bland and inoffensive as possible so that everyone can drink it. It's just not for me because I don't drink beer because I'm thirsty, that's what water is for.

Light golden color, light mouthfeel, medium carbonation, sweet taste, basically the cheap beer that you can drink a lot of and is available at most sporting events and bars so easy to get. The best way to drink it is on tap. You drink it when you're drinking to be social at parties and taste is not a concern. It's what got me started drinking beer in college.

2.09/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap. Served in a shaker pint.
I believe this is my first Bud Light ... and my last.
This is probably the most watery and tasteless beer I've ever had (possible exception: another An-Busch Light beer). It almost certainly has less aroma than any other beer I've ever had. I
have good reason to suspect I have a rather sensitive sense of smell yet this beer has almost none.
They shouldn't even call this beer.

1.45/5  rDev -24.5%

Just being blunt on this one without much filter. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Look - typical gold lager color with normal head. Nothing out the ordinary.

Smell - very basic. Nothing worth even commenting about.

Taste - Seems to me that Budweiser insists on dumping extra sugar in this junk while brewing it. You can taste the sweetness and its not pleasant. It's thin, watery, and as mentioned, way too sweet. The aftertaste taste like you've sucked on a sugar cube. Always seems to taste like the rubber tubes that it comes out of while being poured. Terrible. Really bad.

Feel - very thin. Nothing redeeming about it at all.

The only reason to drink this is if all other beers are gone and you just have to drink something. You can also drink about 450 of them before you'd even feel drunk, if that's your angle. Terrible beer. I will actually pass on a beer altogether and drink water before I will drink a Bud Light that someone offers me. Only clever marketing by Budweiser still makes this sorry excuse relevant.

1.79/5  rDev -6.8%

Had one of these New Years Eve at a party. I haven't had one of these in over 2 or 3 years. Going from "craft" beer to this was a reminder of how awful commercial beers are.

I'm not going to go too deep into the specifics of the beer.

Looks like water, tastes like water.

1.22/5  rDev -36.5%

Kinda figured any beer person needs to "tick" this one, at least once, so here goes.

Appearance: Crown of huge white fizzy suds atop a complexion of clear, almost golden “beer”. Very very pallid and watery. No real lace.

Aroma: Rice, corny grains. Only a slight (slight!) touch of hops.

Taste: Crisp and light with barely any real flavor. I give this points for being “refreshing” as it’s basically like a beer-flavored fizzy soft drink. Flavor profile is really virtually nil it’s so watery.

As a beery drink, not altogether awful. As a beer? Nah.

This is by far the worst beer mankind has ever created. I would rather drink dog piss out of a dirty wet sock than to ever taste this god forsaken liquid again. My Indianapolis Colts are sponsored by bud light and it almost makes me want to remove myself from the fan base and find another team. God bless all you good beer drinkers and may God one day rid this planet of this terrible beer once in for all. In God we trust, amen.

2.15/5  rDev +12%

I'll take a Bud over a Bud Light any day of the week. Unless I was dying of thirst, because this beer is all water with very little taste. It's the beer created for reflex-drinking. Of all the characteristics for which beers are rated here it falls flat across the board. If you're drinking one it's probably because you want a beer and it's the only one available or you don't feel like drinking a beer but want something in your hand to help you through whatever event you happen to be at.

Would rate this lower if i could. Potentially my least favorite consumable liquid out there. Would prefer urine or fat guy underboob sweat. I would go dry if this was the only alcohol available

2.55/5  rDev +32.8%

It may/may not taste like actual beer, but it's not necessarily gross either. It just...is. Watery. Bubbly. Goes down easy. Smell is weak, adjuncty, though not necessarily stale. Taste is light, no hops, faint hint of malt. Beer water. Not gross though.

Give me a break! It's Bud Light! Much better than my favorite beers after a softball game. Almost like drinking water. It sometimes that's what you need. Don't forget to smash the can into your forehead when it's finished

1.81/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Clear, pale gold with fine, soft and filmy head, pure white in color and weak in retention. Smells very basic, a bit grainy albeit extremely watered down, but with an interesting lemon twinge. In other words, even more like a pilsner than regular Budweiser, which is a plus. Beer itself is like mineral water that someone put a handful of dry grass in a few hours prior. While it doesn't make me gag or anything like that, I maintain that no beer should ever taste like this, fewer calories be damned. I'd almost take a decent lager that's gone bad or a malt liquor over this. Mouthfeel, is as I implied, like mineral water. Very thin, kind of spritzy. Refreshing in its own right, but so is apple juice.

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Can from Jackson's d koent bin. Can't believe I haven't rated this yet. Clear pale golden, small white airy head, tons of bubbles. Aroma is a bit musty, funky, but mostly cereal grains. Taste isn't bad, its just not there. Nothing, Nada, zip. Body is watery and zero finish.

3.02/5  rDev +57.3%

appearance-very clear and carbonated and yellow/golden.

smell-smells like beer, smells very light and it smells different than a budweiser in my opinion.

taste-very light, smooth, no bitterness and no noticable hop flavor. very smooth.

feel-watery and fizzy

overall-good light beer. this is a get drunk beer in my opinion.

1.53/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is up there with Natural Light as a typical college party beer. That's to say that it lacks most qualities that make beer good and doesn't real pair well with anything other than beer pong. I can't understand how these light beers do so well in sales. It's sad that people are missing out on so many other great beers.

3.31/5  rDev +72.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look- Pale straw. White fizzy head.
Smell- Nothing, well maybe a little sweet malt.
Taste- When ice cold there is a fruity sweetness to it at the end. Minimal to almost non existent amounts of malt or hop presence. However, as this beer warms up it becomes undrinkable.
Feel- Fizzy carbonated water
Overall- The perfect beer to take on float trips.

1.92/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a nice thin white head that looks very nice but dissipates very, very quickly. The beer itself is clear pale straw color. The look isn't too bad and much better than I thought it would be but it still doesn't really compare to the more solid offerings that are the same color.

The smell is disappointing and not very good. There is a slight hop bitterness to it but not enough to discern what kind of hop notes. It also has a very sweet malt note and a tiny bit of alcohol smell to it that is not really appealing. The booze note seems to be more appealing with heavier beer styles and this ain't one of them.

The taste is just bad. I mean almost fail at life bad. The taste seems promising when it's the coldest but as it warms up, you lose whatever bitter hop note was there unlike other beers where the hop notes actually open up.

The feel is just fail. In fact, I'm sure AB uses water from the great lake of fail to brew this beer. The body is watery instead of thin with a tiny bit of fizz; making this beer feel like it was made with seltzer water.

Overall, this beer is a fail. A Great Big Lake of FAIL. If you were on a desert island and needed a source of water, this might suffice but outside of that lemonade might be the better option.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch