Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,353 | Hads: 5,332
1.5/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can.

Fizzy white head with little retention. Extremely light straw in color; very dull. Plenty of noticeable carbonation. Little to no lacing with no strength.

Wheat, corn, rice; slightly skunky. Faint aromatics.

Metallic; astringent wheat, corn, and rice flavors. Faint bitterness; skunky. A big corn aftertaste that's very unpleasant.

Light bodied; very thin and watery yet slightly coarse on the palate due to the wheat and grain presence.

A typical light lager that is an insult to the word 'beer'. This is more closely related to water IMO. Just a waste of my time. (591 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -45.2%

Uh, it's Bud Light. At least I tried it on tap. I did successfully avoid this beer for a very long time. But, I guess I decided to try it. No head, lightly piss colored. Some carbonation. Tastes like seltzer that you cracked open 4 years after the expiration date. Mouthfeel? Yeah, if you think water has mouthfeel. It's the lightest of light beers I've had, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. (402 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +43.1%

This beer poured with nearly no head at all, an almost-clear yellow. It wasn't the most attractive of presentations. Even the look of it made it seem watered-down.

A quick whiff suggested hints of corn and rice. There was no "richness" to the scent at all.

Despite what most say about this beer, it really does taste rather average. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's very light-bodied, with almost no hop bitterness. It is very watery, and it doesn't feel bad on the tongue.

I can see why this beer is so popular - it's easy to drink. Make sure this one is *cold* because it gets harsher as it warms up.

There wasn't really anything special about this beer. It would be a step up for big party hosts to purchase this rather than some of the other stuff they buy. (790 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled (hah) at my friend's house from a 22 oz. bottle. Piss yellow with no head. Typical. Smelled fainlty of hops and malts, more-so than any other light lager I've head. Taste respectably balanced, with strong hops shining through, and a lingering malt back. The only problem is that it tastes artificial. Nothing tastes real. The best "macro" light beer, possibly the best "macro" in general, I've had to date. But not good. (428 characters)

what a waste of anyones money or time to drink this beer. any light beer should be taken off of the market. i am glad that the rest of the world doesnt believe in these light beers and discrace themselves by making them. sparkling water with a drop of food coloring (265 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -36%

Served at a party I went to, I went home right after one of these. I should have went home instead of having that one beer. If you hate your friends, serve this.

Poured into a plastic cup, it was so pale and pathetic I could hardly tell it was beer. This pale yellow ghost had a fizzy white head quickly died down to nothing. Took a whiff and smelled stronly of sulfur with a hint of adjunct grains, I've had farts smell better than this brew. Taste was almost nonexistant but still was like the smell there was sulfur and adjunt grains. If you could drink a fart I think it would taste alot like this beer. This beer was too fizzy and overcarbonated, just one made me bloated. Mouthfeel was thin like water but sharp like seltzer water. Are there hops in this beer? Perhaps they added a hop cone or two to the whole kettle but I couldn't detect any hops. Beer is not very drinkable but I was able to finish one, it just wasn't pleasant. (940 characters)

Have had many a time at many a party and the only way to tolerate this is to be already drunk (very drunk) and even then its hard to swallow. Cheep, piss water, lucid appeareance that has less color than cream soda and tastes worse too. Smell resembles beer but lacks the rich flavors of even quasi-better lagers. Taste is lacking altogether, a bit like carbonated water with a hint of malt. Feels like water on the palate, very thin and meek. Would never sit down and have one, or order one out, strictly for the most drunken of occasions and even then i wish there was something else. Truly only a beer of last resort that im even ashamed to review and thus admit that i have consumed.

BAD!! (696 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -7.1%

Pale, pale yellow color. Pours suprisingly well from a can, with a bright white, 1/2" head, dissipates in a couple of minutes. Light lacing.

Smells excessively of adjuncts. A hint of malt aroma, but that's about it.

Bud Light is as about as flavorless as it gets. There's a slight bit of flavor from the malt (and a bit more from the adjuncts), but barely. Hoppy bitterness? Completely nonexistant. Feels like carbonated water in the mouth; leaves an aftertaste that can best be described as "off".

Bud Light isn't the worst beer I've ever had (at least it's not skunky), but...I haven't purchased this beer for myself in quite some time, and I don't plan to do so in the future. Drink one only if you're doing so for free. (732 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Very pale straw color. A decent head formed on the pour, but receded quickly. Color seems appropriate to style. No trace of beer lace.

Smell - I smell malt, and that characteristic American beer smell - maybe rice or cooked corn. To me, the aroma is not pleasant. No hop aroma, which is appropriate to style. Overall smell is pretty weak.

Taste - The foretaste is almost nonexistent. If there are hops in there, I cannot taste them. However, it is refreshing, quite like water. There is a malt aftertaste (or some other aftertate) which is not particularly inviting.

Mouthfeel - A bit too fizzy. Not too much mouthfeel at all. See my comments on Taste. Even a light lager ought to have more presence than this.

Drinkability - Easy to drink. Too easy. There is nothing to this beer. Drinking this one makes me want to avoid drinking another.

Comments - This beer is clean, crisp, and thirst quenching. Unfortunately, the list of good qualities ends there. The taste is borderline offensive. This beer is all about being easy to drink, while providing as few obstacles to your senses as possible. (1,122 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -33%

Before and during a recent football game, I was presented with one beer choice: Bud light. So, how bad could it be? Well, it’s not so much distasteful as non-tasteful. It’s an unbelievably pale, watery, light shade of yellow. The head is minimal at best. No aroma, no taste. Maybe a hint of grain. Mouthfeel of carbonated water. No aftertaste. Frankly, drinking this beer is not much of an experience at all. It’s easy to drink, but it certainly doesn’t leave me with a desire for another. (493 characters)

Not much to say that already hasn't been said about Bud Light. pale yellow, no aroma to it. The taste is water mixed with corn juice and then refrigerated. Bud Light is just another sad product of the carb craze. Bud Lght and all the other light lagers are the saddest syle of a beer ever made. (294 characters)

had this at a graduation party, from the can. I guess if you like water from a can with a hint of flavor to it this would do. aroma hardly any. flavor corn and as it warmed up it just got bad I do have to say it was better than busch light by a slight margin. (259 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +28.4%

Bud Light...the most-hated....straight out of a 40 oz. bottle.

Appearance-Dark murky blonde color, slight head that dissapears as quickly as it came.

Smell-Definite DNS overtones, not really much there at all otherwise. You barely smell anything.

Taste-Light, which I suppose illustrates the tem light beer, but this is very light. Thus, it's not as full as other light beers but it does go down very smooth I have to give it that.

Mouthfeel- When they said this was watery they weren't kidding, not much flavor, thus the aftertaste is really light and easy to deal with. Beer drinkers will wish for more flavor but the slight aftertaste that is there isn't unpleasent.

Drinkability-I'd call this a true light beer, a great beginner's beer for somebody just starting on beer. You can work your way up after this. You can drink a ton of these very easily and feel fine the next day, probably one of the reasons it's popular.

Overall-Veteran beer drinkers obviously hate this, as it isn't much of a real beer. But I suppose that's the reason it's light. This beer is a fine beginner's beer and middle of the road light beer and is good for a beginning drinker. Other than that it has no redeeming qualities that make it stand out, I feel it isn't as awful as some make it out to be, but if this is all you have in your life your definitely not a real beer drinker. I'd still have it if offered though. (1,417 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +34.5%

I was in St. Louis for a wedding and it was free. So when in Rome...

It is a pretty good light beer. I was able to drink it all afternoon without feeling too bloated or getting bloto.

The beer pours a pale yellow, doesn't have much of a head, or leave any happy trail on the glass. The mouth feel is a bit over carbonated, but you can drink it all day.

Hey it's a pretty good light beer, but it doesn't have much in the way of taste or flavor. (453 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -39.1%

There really isn't a whole lot to this one. It pours a super pale golden color, and has a small white head.

The smell is completely none existent, or maybe it does and it was just that bad, that i blocked it from my memory.

The taste is horrible, like a bad corny bad veggtable taste, that only gets worse at it warms up. It basically has a mouthfeel consiting of water, so not much there, and considering the taste I personally can't get through one and would much prefer just drinking water. (500 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -34%

Well, today was my lesson on drinking macro-swill adjunct lagers. I thought I would sample the king of crap, bud light. I've had bottled water with more character than this.

Appearance: Almost clear...leaning towards transparent. A hazy straw color with virtually no head to speak of.

Smell: cooked veggies...'nuff said.

Taste: Bitter stale corn.

Mouthfeel: thin and watered down.

Drinkability: BAD. Poured it out.

Overall: It's been more than a year since I had any macro-swill. That being said, I felt it was important in my quest for BA-dom to understand what I had turned away from. Today definitely put some perspective on this. I feel that I'm making an excellent decision every time I turn one of these beers down. Not becasue I'm a snob or I don't want anything from the big three. But because I know what they are like, I know that there is much, much better beer out there and I choose to drink craft beer.

Take your damn Clydesdales (no animals were harmed in the writing of this review).

Respect beer. (1,038 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +68%

I dont see what the problem whit good ol Bud Light is. There are much worse beers in the world than this one. I have been known to at times put down a whole case of these. While it cannot compare with an import, not much American beer can. For what it is worth Bud Light is actually pretty good. Beats the hell out of its cousin Busch Light. (341 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -25.9%

At the golf course from a can into a plastic cup. While not the best rating situation, I did take some time to seriously evaluate this beer.

It pours a transparent whitish yellow color with a thin quickly disappearring head, almost soda like. The aroma is faintly yeasty, there is no real malt aroma, and absolutely no hop aroma. The flavor is a quick watery hint of wheat malt and corn sugar. There is almost no body to this, and thankfully almost no aftertaste. This beer is made for sheer drinkability in terms of volume and not pleasure. (544 characters)

2.28/5  rDev +15.7%

This seems to be a typical example of an American macro light beer. Appearance is pale, watery yellow and smell is of the usual macro adjunct aroma. Taste presents a tiny bit of flavor, but mainly watered down mediocrity. I wouldn't recommend this to an average BA. Still, I found this to be a decent beer for hanging around with friends when you don't need anything anywhere near special. The colder the better here. (417 characters)

2.06/5  rDev +4.6%

Last sample 09/07/2000
The beer after spilling from the 12-ounce bottle sets in the glass a clear light yellow color with a minimal frothy bright white head that evaporates quickly leaving a thin bit of lace to coat the glass. Nose is malt, sweet and fresh with the start lightly malted and somewhat sweet, top is thin. Finish has a stern acidity and the hops light to the palate, fry aftertaste, a drinkable beer, and one I used to find enjoyable before I became addicted to over the top beers. (496 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Ahh yet another sample from me BUD MAN.. Do they really think the factory fresh Bud stuff is gonna change my mind? Pours the colour of washed out corn. Smells like chemicals, And tastes like it too. No hops, no malt. At least Miller High Life has character compared to this charlaten. Mouthfeel is the best part of this as its not to spritzy.. but Drinkability? Please.. the only reason to drink this is when its the only beer available!! (438 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -17.3%

This was a BAD beer, but not as disgusting as others I have had, which is why I have rated it higher than many.

It was a yellow so pale it looked like it was a trick of the light. The head was good, but it didn't last long.

The taste? Imagine taking a good pilsner and diluting it 10:1 with seltzer water, and you approach it. I knew it was beer, the head hinted at it, but the taste didn't reflect it. Ick.

The mouthfeel was almost nonexistent, but the remnants of head and the carbonation served to give it a little body.

VERY drinkable... as water is very drinkable. But the only reason I went for it was because it was free. I wouldn't pay for this stuff. (672 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -36.5%

What's there to be said about Bud Light that hasn't already been said? When I was drinking it, I honestly thought I was drinking club soda. There was no semblence of taste in this beer whatsoever. It has the mouthfeel of club soda as well. You could put yellow food coloring into club soda, and pass it off as Bud Light with ease. No one would know the difference until they were ten beers deep and wondering why they weren't hammered yet.

At least I can detect a slight scent of sweetness from this swill, putting it above water.

I can't believe some people drink this bile nightly. I'll stick with Guinness. (615 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -20.3%

Regular Bud burns your mouth and stomach, doesn't look like much, hurts to drink, and smells like water. The only saving grace of that beer is an alright bittersweet taste.

That taste is not present in Bud Light. This is the second most flavorless beer that I've ever drank (Coors Light being the first). Coors is okay because it goes down so smoothe, though, and since it doesn't taste like anything its an ideal drink for kids or people who just hate beer that you want to get drunk with anyway (like college chicks).

There is no saving grace for Bud Light, though. Nothing. Every aspect of this beer is either painful or non-existant. (645 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +53.3%

A great friend of mine left a few of these in my fridge. I decided to crack them open and see what there is to see. The beer is a yellow, thin headed macro with a corny smell. This beer tastes like veggies from the crisper. The carbonation is moderate and the only thing that contributes to the mouthfeel. Drinkability is fairly high considering it is made to be consumed in high quantities by the least common denominator. A very average light beer.. (451 characters)

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch