Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,242 | Reviews: 1,491
1.57/5  rDev -15.1%

free beer garden keg, poured in fresh plastic cup each time, keg-tender said she was trying to achieve "as little head as possible" with each pour.
bright watery urine yellow, no head to speak of (see above), dirty lacing with slight cling like guilt. smelled faintly of sweet corn or something. as for the flavor -- citrus-corn nightmare with a horrible sharpness on the swallow and an extremely unpleasant finish.

bad news. can't argue with free beer sometimes though...

2.81/5  rDev +51.9%

I will preface this review by saying... compared to other light lagers, this isn't that bad, there are much better, but much more worse.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color, or maybe its yellow, the more I look the more I think it's yellow. Topped with a large amount of seafoam at first, it quickly disappears although the carbonation looks pretty heavy.

Smell: I pick up a pretty strong sweetness at first, and that's a little overbearing, especially with no sign of hops in the picture.

Taste: The sweetness from the smell develops immediately followed by a grainy lager/malt taste. The beer ends it's stay on my palate with a slight college aftertaste. Note: these tastes were barely apparent and required deep concentration to pick out. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad.

Mouthfeel: Very water, very highly carbonated, very unwanted.

Drinkability: The carbonation is a little too intense and there is not much taste (again, i don't know if this helps its case or not, maybe some of both).

Overall: I'd say this is a very typical representation of a light lager, unfortunately.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- the worst beer ive ever seen. no head, the color was a pale yellow, almost clear.

S- nothing there.

T- almost nothing there. if diet soda wasnt sweet, and had a slight wheat flavor to it, this is what it would taste like

M- so thin it nearly got absorbed by my teeth. at least it was smooth

D- of course this is a drinkable beer, its like drinking tap water.

2.94/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks see-through, just like water. If you look hard there's a slight yellow tint to it. I poured it like very harshly and the head was 100xs larger then the beer, but it is slowly falling. The lacing is barely even there.

If I smell really hard and breathe deep I can just barely smell the lager, but the first smell is faint and flavorless.

Taste reminds me of water at first and then turns into a sweet off-odor smell. It's hard to get a read on this because it's so flavorless.

Mouthfeel made me cringe the first time, like water, but when it hits the back of my throat it makes me gag.

Not very drinkable, it doesn't have flavor, body, or drinkability. I pray to God I never drink this again.

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer is at every bar, is constantly advertised and is sold cheap. Hence, people are always drinking it; I think familiarity keeps people coming back to this.

On that note, Bud Light is almost beer-flavored water. Bud Light is something to drink when you're afraid you're putting on too many pounds, or want to be polite and accept a beer from a friend. If you have to buy Bud Light, the least you can do is buy it in bottles...I think drinking this stuff from the can will just make it that much more apparent how worthless this stuff is.

2.09/5  rDev +13%

Bud light has no taste to me. The only reason I think it is the best selling beer in america is because of advertising and because I think when people first start drinking they haven't acquired a taste for beer yet. Bud is easy to drink and hence they find that beer when they first start drinking and stick to it. I've converted some people to miller lite, which is the only lite beer that tastes at all like beer.
That being said, it doesn't taste bad and I can drink it if my friends offer it to me. I just don't think it tastes like a beer.

2.29/5  rDev +23.8%

Had quite of few of these at a party last night. This is definatley one of my least favorite beers. When fresh and cold it's not terrible, but the second it drops a few degrees it gets pretty nasty. It's a little too carbonated for my taste. It's better than Coors, but if I'm going to drink popular, cheap beer I think I'd take a Miller Light over this (as far as the big 3 are concerned).

I'm a lightweight, but I drank an awful lot of these and never felt too drunk. At 4.2%, this is kind of a waste of my time.

1.89/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out of a 16 oz. st. patrick's day-themed 16 oz. aluminum 'bottle' into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: This beer is seriously the color of my urine. In other words, it is a transparent, pale straw yellow with a few small bubbles.

Smell: nothing offensive here..not much of a smell at all, in fact. i guess that that's a good thing.

Taste: Bud light tastes just like carbonated mineral water. There's a hint of bitterness, but it's the kind of bitterness that results from carbonation. The finish is crisp and dry..after I swallow, it's like I never put it in my mouth in the first place.

Mouthfeel: light, like drinking a soda

Drinkability: This is a beer to avoid at all costs. I'm looking at the rest of the pint and dreading finishing it.

2.84/5  rDev +53.5%

A warm Sunday calls for a cold beer, and this is the only beer in the house.

The beer pours out to a very pale straw color. Not very inviting, unfortunately. A thick head grows while pouring, but subsides immediately. There's not much of a smell except for a bit of the hops. The taste is very dull, though I can faintly detect the hops and only a bit of the alcohol. The mouthfeel is boring as the liquid is rather thin. Tastes like a flat club soda. The beer is cold, so it is drinkable, to a degree. I can drink a lot of this because it is so watery. Unfortunately, I will be bored of this quickly as well, also because it is so watery.

Not a great beer, but alright for a warm Sunday.

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Ahhh....good old Bud Light. My old college roommate used to guzzle gallons of this stuff in search of the perfect state of alcohol-induced nirvana. I'd crack one open once in a while, especially if I was out of one of my brews at the time, but I never made a habit of acquiring the Bud Light taste.

Gotta admit that this is one marketing monster, though. Bud Light is easily the biggest selling beer in Texas. You simply can't go anywhere here (bar, barbecue joint, wedding, ice house, etc.) without seeing someone standing around with a cold bottle of Bud Light in his or her hand. I recently tried some at a wedding, as it was the only thing available. It brought back the memories for sure.

Bud Light was sparkling and clear in the glass, very well-carbonated and somewhat watery looking. Average nose, again a bit watery and weak.

There is almost nothing to recommend for the taste criteria. This is easily the least "beer-tasting" entry in the annals of light beers. Nothing. Nada. No malt backbone to speak of, no hops, no NOTHIN'. This was like drinking water with a small amount of beer mixed in.

Effervescent mouthfeel. Not drinkable at all. I finished the glass that I had, and stuck to water the rest of the night, barely noticing any difference.

It's easy to see why this beer is so popular, though. Let's face it, there are tons of people who really don't like the taste of beer, yet they want to maintain the image that they are beer drinkers. This is perfect for them. They can maintain the illusion that they like beer, AND get the easily quaffed alcohol delivery system that they crave. Not a bad deal.

Pass it up. There are plenty of better light beers on the market if you have to go there.

3.3/5  rDev +78.4%

In my modest pursuit of the Golden Mean of budget beers, I use three criteria, admittedly not all that strictly: cost, flavor, and strength. I use 5% as a flexible general standard of strength, which will seem low to the micro set, but in this league it is a reasonable standard. Ice beers are mostly stronger than that, but generally at a flavor cost the Rumpole palate refuses to pay. Light beers rarely reach this level, and since they cost no less, are likewise generally passed over. However, the lunch-break pub to which I on occasion retire for refreshment, which heretofore had PBR available on tap for $2 a glass, recently gave the PBR up, for reasons which I'm frankly still a bit vague. The least expensive beers they had, on draft or in the bottle, were Bud Light and Miller Lite on tap. I ordered Miller Lite, but was misheard as Bud Light, rather a case of selective hearing, I suspect, as I later noticed of the dozen or so bottled options, eight were from A-B. Hence, here is the unlikely second Rumpole review of a light beer, the first also due to a flukish set of events.

I suppose I could gloss over the Bud Light label, since this sample is from the dear old tap, but since I happen to know what it looks like, I can't resist indulging in a little spleen; maybe if regular Budweiser didn't have such an outstanding label I'd desist, but since A-B clearly knows how to put together a class look, why does this label look more appropriate to floor cleaner than to beer? It must work, alas; A-B didn't get where it is by lousing up the marketing end of the brewery business, but still, one could wish success didn't have to look so ugly.

The beer itself doesn't look as bad, but pronouncedly not as good even as regular Budweiser, which is as pale as one could go and get away with it. Bud Light looks positively washed-out. The scent is a mere wisp of grain and herbs, scarcely registering on the aged beezer.

There is, candidly, very little flavor. A very light grain flavor, so light it doesn't really need a balancing hop top-note, which is as well, since there is almost none. To A-B's credit, there are no off flavors, and it has that refreshing smooth Bud texture and super-clean Bud finish. For a light beer, it acquits itself perfectly adequately; methinks the average score for this beer, taking type into consideration, is a tad low.

In sum, no sense not being sociable if this is what's being served; there's simply no way this beer could deliver offense. At 4.2% abv, it'd be as well not to be in any sort of hurry, but eventually the warm glow will arrive in due time. As far as plunking down coin of the realm, it's no cheaper than regular Budweiser, nowhere near as tasty, and you'd be surprised the difference a mere 0.8% would make. Even more problematic, there are cheaper options out there that are likewise stronger and better tasting, including A-B's very own Bud Dry.

So much for my take on the matter, however; light beer drinkers are quite simply looking for different things from their beer than I am with my three criteria; if Bud Light delivers on their requirements, good show for them, say I. I used to use beer as yet another means to look down on others, but thankfully those days are long gone. Light beer drinkers could care less about the opinions of beer snobs, much less ex-beer snobs, and there's no reason for that to change.

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

sadly ive probably drinken more of this than any other beer. it looks like piss, smells like piss, and tastes like piss, but after 2-3 cans it becomes more drinkable. even after 8+ cans you will still be aware that it tastes like crap, but tat that point you just dont care anymore. the only redeeming factor is that its cheap. but it tastes cheap too. i cant believe i used to drink these kind of beers, this is what gives beer a bad name. never again.

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: This would be a 1 if not for the initially impressive head, which is tall, dense, and snowy-white. Body is far, far less appealing, probably the palest, most sickly-looking beer I've ever seen.

Smell: Golden delicious apples, boiled peas, and boiled cabbage dominate. Very bad, but also (thankfully) very weak.

Taste: Like the appearance and aroma, the beer's taste is quite weak. Flavors are so undetectable, in fact, that it is difficult to review. On the plus side, it's quite clean and crisp. It's good with salty and/or fatty foods, which bring out the beer's hidden malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clear, no finish at all. Good for the style, I suppose.

Drinkability: This is as drinkable as any light beer - goes down easy if you just want a thirst-quencher, but if you want something that you can really enjoy, look elsewhere.

3.21/5  rDev +73.5%

Purchased from the gas station by my apartment, Huntsville, AL.

Dated 25 JAN 06 on the bottom of the bottle -- less than a month old, and in a can. Should be pretty fresh.

Poured from the 16 oz can into my favorite pint glass, using "proper" pouring method and a beer straight from the ice. Creates a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Almost perfectly clear body, looks like slightly yellowish-tinged water. The head sticks around for awhile, but leaves no lacing.

Very sweet corn malt in nose. No hops present, slight yeastiness in the back of the aroma. Not a whole lot there, but what's there isn't precisely unpleasant.

Flavor is, again, a slightly corn on the tip of the tongue, with a grainy texture as the beer is washed around the palate, and an astringent "yeasty" aftertaste. Aftertaste passes quickly, leaving the palate ready for more.

Mouthfeel is thin here, but this is very much to-style, making the beer easier to drink for long periods. Could be a bit more pleasant (astringency gets in the way), but the mouthfeel here isn't half-bad.

This tastes like nothing, which makes it very drinkable -- nothing to get in the way of pouring it straight down the gullet. Consumed as a BA would consume it, the beer gets very astringent and unpleasant as it warms, so drink it while it's cold. It's not my cup of tea, but there's a reason why it's the most popular beer on Earth, and I'll take it before a lot of craft beers in a heartbeat.

2.06/5  rDev +11.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, "born on date" on the label for "freshness". I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours yellow but very pale... almost water-like. It's almost completely transparent with a 1/4" head.

Smell: Almost a grainy smell, but you really need to try hard to find it.

Taste: Light... very light. You can slightly taste the grain which presents itself and then backs away. Very dry finish and almost no hoppiness present at all. I will say that Bud does a great job of consistency for such a light beer. Nothing impressive to taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too impressive. Most of the action is due to the carbonation dissolved within.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but not very fun. I got bored after number 2. I really want something with substance.

Notes: I'd pass on this.

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Drinking budweiser is one thing , but bud light? Why? Well it was the only beer in my fridge ( left by someone) . Poured a watery , crystal clear and oh so pale yellow. Large head as a result of me takening out my aggression , (caused by no better beer) by pouring as fast and hard as possible! Smell is lightest of malt and adjunct. Taste is same , not much of anything to describe. Mouthfeel like water with a shot of beer in it. It is very drinkable... out of a funnel.

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

Very weak beer. Appearance is very light yellow/golden. Smell is inconsequential -- nothing really too it. A little grainy and bitter -- just like the taste. It's smooth going down -- cos there's nothing to it! So, you could drink a lot of these w/o really enjoying it and taking a long time to get any type of buzz going. Less filling than Bud, but has less taste...and that's not saying much.

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a medium-sized, foamy, white quickly diminishing head. Very little lacing. The smell is of weak grainy malts and that’s about it. The taste is very light, clean and lacking in character as I expected from domestic light. Nothing really offensive, but nothing good either. More weak grain and hardly any detectable hops. It has a thin body, weird semi-slick texture, and lively carbonation. I guess it actually wasn’t that horrible surprisingly. It’s a small step up from Coors Lights (not like that means much of anything), but I still was left with thinking “why bother?” after I was finished.

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Decided to try this just to remind myself why I drink good beer. It definitely served its purpose.

Poured a very pale yellow with only a hint of a head. Moderate carbonation could be seen.

Smell was very faint, perhaps a hint of hops.

Taste was strange. Very mild hops but very stale tasting. Basically, this was very bad tasting water.

Mouthfeel was acidic on the tongue. Very light.

Overall, this was worse than expected. It is drinkable, if you want to be able to drink a couple six packs in a night. Not sure why you would want to do that when so many other options available [though you can't drink as many]. I could possibly see drinking this on a very, very hot day when this beer was served ice cold....that's about all.

1.35/5  rDev -27%

Poured a pale straw color with a foamy head that leaves some lacing around the glass. Smell is clean but like most macro lagers has a slight smell of creamed corn, just really bland. Taste is much of the same, no pronounced flavor, nothing that I could get enjoyment out of, I would like to see some hops come through, just a little at least. Mouthfeel, overly carbonated and intended to serve ice cold, perhaps to hide flavors, good or bad, within? Drinkability, I could imagine this is drinkable for many, but I could maybe have one in a sitting, and then not have anymore again, ever.

Ordered a bud light on tap, it was served in a plastic disposable cup (well, proper glassware does improve the beer experience, and what could be more appropriate?), it appeared pale macro lager yellow with a minimal head. It went down smooth, like a nice glass of carbonated water, with just the slightest kiss of hops to remind you this is supposed to be beer. This is beer to guzzle, it is either lawnmower beer of the highest order, or it is the lowest common denominator that serves to keep beer as low brow as possible in America. Is the keg half full or is it half empty? That is for you to decide.

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch of foam, along with carbonation bubbles.

Smell - Nothing special.

Taste - Much weaker than the regular Bud, very watered down.

Drinkability - Out of all of the macro lagers, perhaps in the 2nd tier of beers. Would still avoid if possible--think about it, do YOU ever add water to your favorite cheap beer?

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

The appearance is the best thing about this beer. It's sickly pale yellow but it does have some decent foam which sticks around on the edge of the glass awhile. It smells like very faint grassy hops. On to the taste.

...I'm still waiting - after my fifth or sixth sip I finally realized that there is no taste. Simply amazing. Body is nonexistant. This is the second worst beer I've reviewed to date.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watching "Braveheart" last night. Go to the fridge to grab a beer. There is only one there. A 40 of Bud Light left by my brother in law from New Year's (sigh). Decided to do some tasteing so that I can write a review.

Decanted the 2005 vintage into a pilsner glass. A little forceful pouring and the narrow glass created a foamy, white 2" head that quickly faded to nothing. The appearance does NOT look like urine the way some people have said. No, no, urine has more color. It is a very pale yellow that is perfectly clear with a few bubbles coming up. The color almost reminded me of a Riesling or maybe a paler Chardonnay.

Smell, none.

Taste, You know how gatorade now markets water with a hint of lemon flavor? This is their new product. Water with a hint of beer and carbonated. Very carbonated.

Mouthfeel, carbonated water.

Drinkabilty, If you don't mind the taste, lack of aroma, and general un-beeriness you might could have finished the whole 40. I couldn't.

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

The only bad thing to say about this "beer" is the complete lack of anything to say. Very mild and fizzy, slight vegetal notes, no doubt from the adjuncts used. The only reason to drink this is to get trashed. With that in mind, the least they could do is raise the ABV. Anyway...

Appearance- Crystal clear light golden.

Smell- Watery and vegetal. No discernable hops.

Taste- Bland and watery. Slight malt note but no sweetness at all. Again, no hop presence at all.

Mouthfeel- Much like soda water.

Drinkability- I'd imagine after about 5 or 6 of these things they get pretty drinkable. Hope I never get to that point.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch