Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,358 | Hads: 5,373
1.9/5  rDev -1%

I had the opportunity to review this by visiting my next door neighbor, to watch the NCAA basketball championship game. He gave me a bottle of Bud Light, because he was out of all the good stuff I've given him the past couple of years. He drank a bottle of this, also, and compared notes for this review.
It pours a clear, pale yellow, with a minimal head that vanishes in scant seconds. No lacing is noted.
Aroma is nonexistent. Both of us, smelled this several times...trying to sense some malt or hops. There is nothing.
Mouthfeel reveals a thin body, and gets extra points for carbonation.
Taste is like apple cider, without the apples. Without the cider, as well, but does get some points for a faint, malt touch.
This might deserve more points for drinkability, because of its watery, interpretation of a light, pale, lager. But, nah..I'm rating it for what it is.

2.35/5  rDev +22.4%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a slight yellow hue. It has a frothy white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is almost non-existant. This beer is full of adjuncts and little malts. There is a small amount of bitter skunkiness to the aroma. The taste is almost non-existant. I feel like the dudes in the Miller Lite commercials who are pissed they can't taste their beer. It is very watered down and devoid of any flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is what the health freaks are drinking these days. I pitty them. I'll keep my beer gut and continue enjoying good beer, however many carbs it contains.

1.43/5  rDev -25.5%

I hear people say that bud-light is a good beer for young people who haven't developed their palate. I say its a decent beer for people that don't like beer. I usually try to avoid "light beer" but in my experience, bud light is the worst of the bunch. The colour is pale yellow, clear and processed. The excessive filtering have stripped the beer of most of its taste and smell leaving something that tastes like club soda with slight beer undertones. Although I can't say that i would want another one, this beer is very easy to drink, especially when cold allowing high school students to boast, "Hey man I pounded back a two four".

2.94/5  rDev +53.1%

How do I start this review? I am well aware that the real beer connoisseur's will be put off by this but I will state my case for this beer as best I can,when I am in the mood to pound some beer and am short in pocket ,I love this beer! it doesn't give me a bad hangover ,it's not as bloating or as filling as regular Bud,but gives you that same Rock'n'Roll buzz.It is a great summer at the beach beer as it is easy going down and you won't get too F#$% up.I guess it's charm is it's not offensive in any way it's not too hoppy,it's not too malty, it's just right, the way American beers we were brought up on were meant to be. in fact it's not to anything ...that is why some people love it and some people hate it . Thanks

This, even though its one of my lowest rated beers its still one of my favorite beers to drink. Aside form having my brew fridge stuffed with hig qulity beers i always have bud light. Its refreshing crisp and clean and personally tastes better than all the other macro light lagers. It pours a plae yellow and has some hints of hops in the smell, not alot because it is infused with the malt. The taste is pretty bland but it has some hints of matliness and some very little bitterness.

1.16/5  rDev -39.6%

Pours an over carbonated pale yellow.

Smell is nothing, not even a whiff of yeast, hop is completely absent.

Taste is a little sweet, and that is all, not even a Cornflake taste.

Mouthfeel is present only because it is really over carbonated.

Drinkable as in seltzer water.

1.28/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured crystal clear light yellowish gold with no foam. Smell was like stale moldy bread, which made me want to put it down. Taste was plain and boring, somewhat pungent, with no hop flavors apparent at all. The aftertaste would not go away. A poor example of a light lager.

1.83/5  rDev -4.7%

ok. so we skate this dude kirk's backyard pool all the time, and the price of admission is you have to bring him budlight. so sometimes that what gets passed around and while yes im a BA and i should spread the knowledge, these are old beat up skateboarders and they dont really give a shit about my beer knowledge. that being said, it pours out clear, yellow, weak. the head is sad, fizzy, not happenin. the smell sucks, it smells spoiled. the taste is light to say the least. watery, but light hops are in the mix. somewhat refreshing, but only when its hot as hell. after 2 or so...ill go back to my water.

2.17/5  rDev +13%

Well, it REMINDS you of beer, so there's something to say about that. On a really hot afternoon, with lots of good friends around and burgers on the grill, it's almost good. I have a neighbor who mixes his half-and-half with bloody Mary mix. I told him I thought it was a waste of tomato juice.

I'm not sure I'd rather be punched in the face, like pheurton asserts, but there's not much to this "beer" aside from its eminent drinkability. However, if I were just thirsty, I'd drink water; and if I wanted a quick buzz, I'd drink vodka.

Lots of hops, rice and corn. No discernible complexity. Seems like a real waste of time to drink this.

I know the rules say, "Don't slam a beer . . ." Well, Jason and Todd, I'm tryin', and this is the best I can do. Don't delete my account, please. I'm just a newby.

1.55/5  rDev -19.3%

brilliantly clear yellow with an ivory colored head that disappears immediately. no noticeable aromas other than overcooked cereal grains. lively carbonation renders a soda-like mouthfeel. fructose like sweetness. extremely light bitterness aims for a refreshing sensation, ends up yielding a funky sulfur-tinged grain taste.

this beer is awful, and offers no redeeming qualities. i'd rather give the bartender $3.50 and have him punch me in the face than drink this horse piss.

2.64/5  rDev +37.5%

Bud Light tastes a lot like seltzer water. If you have to get drunk on cheap beer this will do the trick and it won't overpower your palete like it's big brother "The King of Beers" will. Of the light domestics this one is the easiest one to handle.

2.34/5  rDev +21.9%

Bud Light has the best commercials as far as beer is concerned. So how is the actual beer? No good in fact not good at all. Bud Light you could drink a case in a day because it is like water. It pours a straw yellow where you have to pour the beer hard to get a head, that lasts for only seconds. The smell is hard to put a finger on. A hint of water mixed with cereal. Weird I know but to me that is what it smells like. When in the mouth the tastebuds don't sense much sensation, the drinkability is high because you could drink a million of these, like downing water. Funny how the cheaper Natural Light by AB is better than the more expensive Bud Light by AB. Still both are not what I would call BEER!

1.43/5  rDev -25.5%

Pale yellow urine-like color. Quickly fading head that's watery and fizzy. Smell is of soggy cereal, like bad rice krispies. mmmm adjuncts fill the palet. More rice and flavorless filler. Aparently they ran out of hops and malts at the brewery...maybe I should call Anheuser-Busch and tell them... This stuff is just bad to even worse.

1.2/5  rDev -37.5%

This was one of those beers i drank before i knew better. Appearance straw colored, smell is of cooked veggies. Taste is rather watery. Average drinkability. Not offensive, but nothing to write home about either. Stay away if at all possible...you are warned!

1.94/5  rDev +1%

At last, my final Superbowl fidge gift. Let's see what we've got.

Appearance: The classic American macro pilsner. Pale straw yellow, with a CO2ed head that fizzes away in a few seconds. A tiny bit of lacing and a collar. Remember, average for the STYLE.

Smell: Not unpleasant? There's just not much here, even for a macro. A bit of yeasty sharpness, slightly citrus, a bit grainy--it smells like a college bar at 11 p.m. But in a sorta good way.

Taste: Waddaya want me to say? It's great? It's special? It's different? None of the above. McBeer. I know Bud uses rice to make the taste "clean." I think they went ahead and cleaned out the entire flavor. There's a sour finish. Other than that... It's not horrible. It's not anything, in fact. They seem to have their fizz a bit more under control than most. I guess that should count for something.

Drinkability: I'm sure you could drink hundreds of these and never be offended in any way.

A great beverage, but a mediocre-at-best beer. Still, if the grill's going, the reggae's pounding, the sun is shining, the guests are milling and you've got a long day ahead of you, do you care? If not, here you go.

1.46/5  rDev -24%

Another billiard tournament, another crappy beer sponsor. Poured into a frozen mug. Usually I don't use frozen mugs, but this calls for an exception. Even with proper pour, the head was pathetic. About half a thumb widths of foam that lasted less than a minute. Some ice particles started to form on the surface. Pale, and I do mean pale, yellow. Very faint smell. Mostly adjuncts so weak I couldn't tell what they were. Light taste. It isn't water, but it's close to it. Some rice is on the tongue. No bitterness, sweetness, nor aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin. It feels thinner than water. Is that possible? For a liquid to be thinner than water? Drinkable as swill. Drinkable like tap water. Which doesn't mean a thing. Not a good beer.

2.23/5  rDev +16.1%

Of the Great Triumvirate of Light Beers (Miller/Coors/Bud), this is probably my least favorite.
The three all look the same (pale yellow)
Smell pretty much the same (no hop nose/no nothing at all)
The taste is where the three differ, with Bud being about as sweet as Miller, but having little detectable bitterness (probably hopped to 1 IBU or not at all).
The beer is generally over-carbonated and snaps in your mouth like pop-rocks, but a good game of beer pong or 3-man can force you to finish several of these (and you don't feel it until number 6 or 7)

This is one of the worst beers I have ever consumed. I was invited to a party tonight and knowing full well that the beer selection would suck, I prepared myself. The only saving grace was that it was out of a keg and not cans or bottles, so it could have been worse! The pour was almost transparent at expected, with a slight head that subsided quickly. The smell was of light grain and that's about it. The taste was grain at the very beginning, then the seltzer water taste set in with the slightly dry carbonation making up the rest of the "flavor". This beer is just wrong.

1.79/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a transparent yellow colour with a small white head that went away real fast with no lacing. The smell was of skunk. Nothing else. It was the worst smelling beer I have ever had. The taste wasn't as bad as the smell, but it did leave a lot to be desired. There was no hints of hops and only small hints of malts. Everything else was adjuncts.

1.03/5  rDev -46.4%

A party beer that gets very skunky if it is not served ice cold. The taste is very grainy. The color is gold, almost yellow with very little head. At this point I asked my self if i wanted to continue.

For the money your better off with Miller Lite if you are looking for a light brew.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

I haven't had much bad beer in my life; not since I was a teenager anyway. And I'm pretty sure that I've never had a 'light/lite' beer. Nevertheless, I'm fairly certain what this one will deliver. Or fail to deliver. Here goes...

Perfectly clear light straw. The head is pure white and looks cheap, if that's possible. Big bubbles form a fizzy, airy pillow that recedes very quickly (this beer lost its head faster than Louis XVI). Lace? Uh... no. The smell is pretty subdued, but still manages to be unpleasant. Smells like sour grain.

The taste is even worse than I'd imagined. My facial muscles can't help but form a grimace. This stuff is sour and watery in the extreme. Do they actually try to make it taste like this? How is this beer so popular? I'd like to be able to describe the flavor with more detail, but I can't make myself drink any more than a few mouthfuls. The rest is going down the kitchen sink drain.

The only reason this 'beer' doesn't get straight 1.0s is that I can imagine worse, namely the low-carb offerings like Michelob Ultra. I may never have the dis(pleasure) to actually taste and review them though, because I will not be spending my hard-earned money to abuse my palate like that. If someone gives me a bottle... maybe.

My Belgian-made pint glass is none too pleased with me right now for filling it with this vile liquid. And my kitchen sink drain isn't too happy either. The pint glass says that it may forgive me if a Storm King Stout is in its immediate future.

1.43/5  rDev -25.5%

Had this tonight at a girl's place as it was the only beer available. Did not taste good. Did not want another. Consumed straight out of bottle. Smell was rank and empty. Taste was worse - like sour watery corn. Felt horribly empty and horribly wrong. The sourness was the most apparent feature of this beer. I knew I was going to dislike this beer...but as long as I drank it, I figured I'd review it.

Obviously- avoid if at all possible

1.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Pours a miniscule head that disappears almost immediately. Very, very pale golden color.

Aroma: What aroma? Bud Light lacks even the slight skunk smell associated with other, cheaper macros. A tiny, tiny amount of grain in the aroma.

Taste: High carbonation is the first thing you notice. Slight amount of hops. I served this ice cold, but even as it warms up you can't really taste anything. Mouthfeel is thin and boring … again, nothing to say really.

Drinkability: I can't imagine wanting more than one of these, but since there's no taste or flavor you could drink a bunch of 'em. If that's what you're looking for, and many people who drink Bud Light are, this is your beer.

Possibly the hardest beer to review I've ever tried, since there's no real flavor or complexity to comment on. If you're a BA member, chances are you've already tried this and know to stay away. If you're looking for cheap beer and like this "style," go with the vastly better (and cheaper) options: Stroh's, National Bohemian, PBR. Stay away.

2.32/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance: Yellow to clear. Not much to look at. Some white head and lacing.

Smell: Icky. Smells like a fraternity carpet. It's that "beer smell" that people dread. Nothing to really smell ingredient-wise except maybe some corn or rice.

Taste: Can't say that it tastes bad because, well, it has really no taste at all, especially when it is served ice cold. Nothing to even note here.

Mouthfeel: It is easy on the tongue and goes down quickly and easily.

Drinkability: You can drink 10 of these easily. It is a guilty pleasure that can be consumed en masse. If you have an entire day of football or company ahead, this would be a good brew to stock.

Overall: A beer with zero peronality, but is extremely drinkable. Good for the ball game or a long night out. Geez, it's like $1.50 a pint, so why not settle in with a few Bud Lights?

1.76/5  rDev -8.3%

I have so many friends who drink this...I need to convert them.
Anyway I can remember in highschool and college drinking this in mass quantity. Knowing nothing about a good beer. There is no smell to it at all very bland. Taste was weak at best and the after taste was that of 2 month old rotting underware. Mouthfeel consistant with tap water, but very easy to drink, if that happens to be your goal.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch