Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,342 | Hads: 5,277
1.43/5  rDev -27.4%

Had this tonight at a girl's place as it was the only beer available. Did not taste good. Did not want another. Consumed straight out of bottle. Smell was rank and empty. Taste was worse - like sour watery corn. Felt horribly empty and horribly wrong. The sourness was the most apparent feature of this beer. I knew I was going to dislike this beer...but as long as I drank it, I figured I'd review it.

Obviously- avoid if at all possible (442 characters)

1.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a miniscule head that disappears almost immediately. Very, very pale golden color.

Aroma: What aroma? Bud Light lacks even the slight skunk smell associated with other, cheaper macros. A tiny, tiny amount of grain in the aroma.

Taste: High carbonation is the first thing you notice. Slight amount of hops. I served this ice cold, but even as it warms up you can't really taste anything. Mouthfeel is thin and boring … again, nothing to say really.

Drinkability: I can't imagine wanting more than one of these, but since there's no taste or flavor you could drink a bunch of 'em. If that's what you're looking for, and many people who drink Bud Light are, this is your beer.

Possibly the hardest beer to review I've ever tried, since there's no real flavor or complexity to comment on. If you're a BA member, chances are you've already tried this and know to stay away. If you're looking for cheap beer and like this "style," go with the vastly better (and cheaper) options: Stroh's, National Bohemian, PBR. Stay away. (1,048 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Yellow to clear. Not much to look at. Some white head and lacing.

Smell: Icky. Smells like a fraternity carpet. It's that "beer smell" that people dread. Nothing to really smell ingredient-wise except maybe some corn or rice.

Taste: Can't say that it tastes bad because, well, it has really no taste at all, especially when it is served ice cold. Nothing to even note here.

Mouthfeel: It is easy on the tongue and goes down quickly and easily.

Drinkability: You can drink 10 of these easily. It is a guilty pleasure that can be consumed en masse. If you have an entire day of football or company ahead, this would be a good brew to stock.

Overall: A beer with zero peronality, but is extremely drinkable. Good for the ball game or a long night out. Geez, it's like $1.50 a pint, so why not settle in with a few Bud Lights? (849 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -10.7%

I have so many friends who drink this...I need to convert them.
Anyway I can remember in highschool and college drinking this in mass quantity. Knowing nothing about a good beer. There is no smell to it at all very bland. Taste was weak at best and the after taste was that of 2 month old rotting underware. Mouthfeel consistant with tap water, but very easy to drink, if that happens to be your goal. (403 characters)

2.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Just had my 1st Bud Light since I was in high school, back when we would pay the pizza delivery guy to get beer for us. Some guests brought it over, and I had to try at least one. Nostalgia.

At first the taste was very similar to Budweiser, but the aftertaste was pretty bad. Typical Diet Beer. If I were drinking quantity, it might pass, but it's even a few notches down from regular Bud--the self-proclaimed king of beers. (427 characters)

2.17/5  rDev +10.2%

lemonade color body, frighteningly white head, decent lacing to the bottom of my cup. Astonishingly little aroma, but what aroma there is is of corn and lemon. The faintest taste of pale malt and corn. mouthfeel is of pelligrino which is good for pelligrino, but not for beer. This beer was gone in a flash, not because it was so tasty, but because there was nothing to saver. (376 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

Went to a big birthday party for a friend's son today and my friend points me to the bar saying, "get whatever you want." Well, I got something, (the only thing, it turned out) an ice-cold Bud Light.
Poured in a glass, this brew looks vaguely appealing to the unaware. A clear light golden hue with a fizzy, barely-there snow white head that dissolves in no time. That's as good as this beer gets. The smell is a rude assault on the nose, adjunct-laden sweetness followed by a sharp, penetrating medicinal note. The taste was something I'd not want to endure again in this life. Like biting into a riceball held together with Elmer's paste. Simply, absolutely and 100%-ly revolting. And that was while it was still near frozen. As I nursed it (why the hell did I do that!?), the repugnant flavor grew to nauseating levels and I finally knew I was beaten. The feel was even off; a weird, slick, cloying feel that belied the beer's light-bodied nature.
In retrospect, I guess I was just being polite. In the future, I'll come up with a good excuse (like, I have hepatitis) to avoid the near-destruction of my palate. Bud Light is, in a word: crap. (1,147 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -39.1%

On tap at the BC's dive bar Mary Ann's for $1 drafts.

Bud light is pale yellow, looks almost like club soda with yellow food coloring and a decent white head, very little retention. It smells brutal with raw cereal grains. Bud light tastes like beer flavored water, totally unappealing but fairly drinkable. It's no wonder that so many college kids pick up 30's of this, it goes down easy and isnt filling at all. All and all 1 word comes to mind, Swill.

PAX (465 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -29.9%

Its beers like this that sent us searching for web sites like this. Transparent, nice enough head, faint taste of some adjunct and then seltzer. I taste tested this with 3 other lights and it came out last. Yet I have two friends who proudly proclaim this is all they drink and yes they both have huge NASCAR posters in their garage (332 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -47.7%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest. (1,276 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -16.8%

Light? Transparent. There is no visual thickness to this beer whatsoever. Just a clear, golden color. Too gold. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was added food coloring. But I know better, right? Right?

Weird sharp smell, sort of a Budweiser trademark. If I hadn't drank my share of Bud, I'd swear it had gone skunky. But no, that's just the way Bud tastes.

Weird slimy mouthfeel to this one. I mean, it makes it go down nice and smooth, but it still gives the impression something is dreadfully wrong.

Another lousy light beer. Try it just to remind yourself what bad beer tastes like. (603 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -1%

Sweet, semi-sharp start. Smoother, very sharp, and noticably hoppy finish. As best i can tell Bud Light is essentially a sweeter and less diversely flavored version of Coors Light. Light to medium body, and an even, enjoyable aftertaste.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 28JUN03, this post is based on notes from that review. - (348 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was at a wedding. My options were liquor, shit wine, Bud Light, or Mic Light.

I chose liquor.

But then, as my stomach begged me for something else, I had a moment of weakness. It's really at these weak moments in life that we do our stupidest things, isn't it?

I could care less about A-B, how they make Bud Light, or anything else. Here's what I care about: This tastes like shit. It looks OK to be sure, though there's just something artificially white about that head. But it doesn't smell like anything except perhaps the bath tub after you've just drained it. The flavor is so dull and tongue-numbingly bland that I was thinking, "Ah well, it's not too bad." Then I had a conversation, the beer got warm, and I immediately recoiled in fear and loathing as I took another sip.

Something had crawled into my glass and died.

Or at least, that what it tasted like. Why the hell I didn't switch to the crap wine instead of beer, I'll never know. But I didn't. And so therein lies the inspiration for this review. (1,029 characters)

2.08/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a couple cans at a wedding only to re-try this for this was a pre-BA brew for me some many years back. I've come along way since only to wonder how this mass-produced light straw colored little beer holds such a large market share. It pours so clear you can see through it, as its pouring! The head is white and fizzy. It fades very fast to not even a thin film. The body is weak and lace is wispy if at all. Hops & malt, don't even go there, for not much to be found. A slight bitter, dry finish with some alcohol kick, if you drink enough of them. That must be the mass appeal. (589 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -40.1%

i hate his beer. as anything 'bud' seems to give me a headache (even just one), this one follows suit, but seeing as it's so watered down, it gave me less of a headache, so bonus points, i guess. basically, this looks and smells like the toilet water i just pissed in. not that i'd know, but i can't imagine this tastes much better wither. just plain awful. like water mixed with chemicals or something. no real beer flavouring here at all, save for a bit of graininess, perhaps. keep this one away from me. (507 characters)

1.97/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: I poured some out just so I could see what it looked like. Into the plastic cup it went. Very, Very pale yellow. Some carbonation, but virtually no head. About what I expected.

Smell: Smell? What smell? Didn't smell good, didn't smell bad. I couldn't smell anything.

Taste: Some rice, and maybe a little malt, but really very weak flavor overall. Like a really watered down Sapporo. Very weak flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light. Kind of a crispness to it, but really light feel. Goes down like water is about the best way I can describe it.

Drinkability: Well, I had two last night after a round of golf, and while they went down easy, I woke up with a headache. That's not exactly what I want to wake up with so the odds of me drinking this again are low. If I want a headache in the morning after drinking, I'm going to enjoy what I drink and have some whiskey.

Had this after golf because the clubhouse didn't really offer anything else. Fairly easy to drink without getting drunk, just very little flavor. I'll get around to reviewing Coors, just not sure I want to ruin my memories of what I used to drink, but this was definately not a winner for me. Glad I steered clear of it in college, otherwise I might still be stuck on it. (1,252 characters)

2.39/5  rDev +21.3%

This is my favorite way to drink Bud Light. The canned version has tasted the best to me. It did not have as much of a straw flavor out of the can. It seemed to have more flavor. Maybe because no light could get in. Who knows. Everything else was basically the same. The mouthfeel and appearance.

Drink up (308 characters)

2.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Cristal clear headless pale golden tone with not very much to it....Slight hoppy smell not very elaborate or strong. Brutal taste, terribly weak and watery with some carbonation and some perception of hops at the end, but rather like dirty water than beer. I just wish there weren't so many in my fridge right now.... (317 characters)

1.97/5  rDev 0%

Beer for people that don't like beer (I do believe that was the whole idea when it was first made). Slightly better from draft - but if you can get this on draft there should be something better available. Can be slightly better by circumstances - at a concert, ball game etc... If I had a choice between bud and bug light, I'd take the bug light. Thats the highest praise I can give it.

Pale straw yellow, stark white head
very clean aroma, with a slight sulfur tone
tastes like corn flakes
uninteresting, but drinkable
there are no hops, no malt, but plenty of water was used, and apparently yeast was present at some point (632 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +32.5%

Had to go with the draft special here because I was low on cash. This beer was served close to freezing temperatures and was nearly giving me brain freezes as I drank. Of course this beer poured out a very clear and light pale yellow color. The head was thin. Tons of carbonation. Slight whiffs of grains and rice from the aroma. Hard to tell since I was drinking yellow liquid nitrogen. It was hot outside and it paired very well with the hot wings I was eating. Left a slight oiliness on the tongue. I didn’t let it get warm. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not. (574 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +34.5%

I suppose I'll rate Bud Light just because it's so commonplace. Bud Light is an enjoyable beer, but it is very boring because it is a mass produced beverage. It's a good beer to drink when you're out somewhere because you can find it anywhere. If you've not had it, you're out of the loop. The pour is pretty boring, the aroma is kinda boring and the flavor is pretty plain, but it is a staple in modern America. Not a bad drink, but if you're looking for an intersting beer, this one isn't for you. (499 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -12.7%

OK, I'll rate this tasteless alcohol delivery system.

I don't know how to rate this, and rate real flavored beers too.

I usually keep a few in the fridge for when the friends that like it, and it only come over. I do pop open a can once in a while, like to cool off, or when I am full from dinner, but would like something "less filling" I also use this once in a while to add to a home brew of mine to lighten it up a bit, again, when hot in the summer or after a filling meal. Or, to add carbonation to a homebrew.

The overcarbonation really burns my mouth. I usually swirl the can to get some of the carbonation down.

I did try this beer, before they water it down at an A-B tour, and man, that was good! Why don't they sell that??? (749 characters)

2.42/5  rDev +22.8%

Very pale yellow, almost colorless. Clear. White head.
Faint aroma of sweet grainy malts.

Taste is very light. Sweet grainy malt flavor is about the only thing there. Hops almost undetectable. The beer has a bit of a funny taste to it, but it is clean and thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Very mellow, but not desirable.

Overall, this is a clean lager that gives the impression that it's about half beer and half water. Very little character. (469 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +33.5%

Pours a very pale straw color that is nearly crystal clear yet has alot of bubbles racing towards the headless top of this beer. The smell is extremely mellow with hardly any character at all. The first impression from the taste is alot of carb bite and abruptly changes to a very faint lightly sweetened earthy grain and not much else going on. It is very light bodied and finishes some way or another, just too faint to tell. Goes down easy in the hot Texas sun, but I'm not a fan of AB products in general. Cheers! (517 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -10.2%

(DISCLAIMER: This beer was reviewed as part of a multi-beer session including Ice House, Heinekin, Coors Light, Bud Light, and Busch. All were canned to ensure protection against skunking. As an aside, personally I wish Pilsner Urquell was available in cans, I can't get it without it being skunked. Now I don't normally drink these macrobrews but its interesting to sample them and compare them. Before I was "serious" about beer I thought these all tasted the same. Then when I got serious I still thought they tasted the same but I never drank them. Now, I think they DO taste different. Of course, I try to avoid drinking them but sometimes they are all thats available, like at my dad's house or brother-in-laws. Nuff said.)

I gave this a pretty vigourous pour and I was rewarded with a decent-lasting head. The beer clarity is crystal-clear, and the color is a very pale straw, almost with a very subtle shade of green (I kid you not). The aroma has a very faint hint of graininess, not really maltiness but more like a cereal graininess - almost like rice krispies. There isn't much of a hint of corn in the aroma, which is something I was looking out for. I was also looking for a hint of green apple in the aroma, which I have detected in Budweiser before, but I don't get it in the Light version at this sitting, anyway. Perhaps they use a different yeast or the wort composition lends itself to less of this compound (which I think is acetyladehyde?) (Or watering down regular Bud pushes it below the sensory threshold!) The flavor is dominated by sweetness, but not a rich malty sweetness akin to German beers, more like a slightly syrupy note. The carbonation level and a faint hint of hops in the finish provide a very crisp finish. The beer is obviously well-made but not exciting at all and rather insipid. For what it is, I believe it is fine, but beer can be so much more.

For the BJCP style American light lager, this is pretty good, maybe 4.2 / 5, but it could be a little less syrupy. (2,011 characters)

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch