Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,352 | Hads: 5,327
2.34/5  rDev +18.8%

Bud Light has the best commercials as far as beer is concerned. So how is the actual beer? No good in fact not good at all. Bud Light you could drink a case in a day because it is like water. It pours a straw yellow where you have to pour the beer hard to get a head, that lasts for only seconds. The smell is hard to put a finger on. A hint of water mixed with cereal. Weird I know but to me that is what it smells like. When in the mouth the tastebuds don't sense much sensation, the drinkability is high because you could drink a million of these, like downing water. Funny how the cheaper Natural Light by AB is better than the more expensive Bud Light by AB. Still both are not what I would call BEER! (706 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -27.4%

Pale yellow urine-like color. Quickly fading head that's watery and fizzy. Smell is of soggy cereal, like bad rice krispies. mmmm adjuncts fill the palet. More rice and flavorless filler. Aparently they ran out of hops and malts at the brewery...maybe I should call Anheuser-Busch and tell them... This stuff is just bad to even worse. (335 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -39.1%

This was one of those beers i drank before i knew better. Appearance straw colored, smell is of cooked veggies. Taste is rather watery. Average drinkability. Not offensive, but nothing to write home about either. Stay away if at all possible...you are warned! (259 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -1.5%

At last, my final Superbowl fidge gift. Let's see what we've got.

Appearance: The classic American macro pilsner. Pale straw yellow, with a CO2ed head that fizzes away in a few seconds. A tiny bit of lacing and a collar. Remember, average for the STYLE.

Smell: Not unpleasant? There's just not much here, even for a macro. A bit of yeasty sharpness, slightly citrus, a bit grainy--it smells like a college bar at 11 p.m. But in a sorta good way.

Taste: Waddaya want me to say? It's great? It's special? It's different? None of the above. McBeer. I know Bud uses rice to make the taste "clean." I think they went ahead and cleaned out the entire flavor. There's a sour finish. Other than that... It's not horrible. It's not anything, in fact. They seem to have their fizz a bit more under control than most. I guess that should count for something.

Drinkability: I'm sure you could drink hundreds of these and never be offended in any way.

A great beverage, but a mediocre-at-best beer. Still, if the grill's going, the reggae's pounding, the sun is shining, the guests are milling and you've got a long day ahead of you, do you care? If not, here you go. (1,170 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -25.9%

Another billiard tournament, another crappy beer sponsor. Poured into a frozen mug. Usually I don't use frozen mugs, but this calls for an exception. Even with proper pour, the head was pathetic. About half a thumb widths of foam that lasted less than a minute. Some ice particles started to form on the surface. Pale, and I do mean pale, yellow. Very faint smell. Mostly adjuncts so weak I couldn't tell what they were. Light taste. It isn't water, but it's close to it. Some rice is on the tongue. No bitterness, sweetness, nor aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin. It feels thinner than water. Is that possible? For a liquid to be thinner than water? Drinkable as swill. Drinkable like tap water. Which doesn't mean a thing. Not a good beer. (737 characters)

2.23/5  rDev +13.2%

Of the Great Triumvirate of Light Beers (Miller/Coors/Bud), this is probably my least favorite.
The three all look the same (pale yellow)
Smell pretty much the same (no hop nose/no nothing at all)
The taste is where the three differ, with Bud being about as sweet as Miller, but having little detectable bitterness (probably hopped to 1 IBU or not at all).
The beer is generally over-carbonated and snaps in your mouth like pop-rocks, but a good game of beer pong or 3-man can force you to finish several of these (and you don't feel it until number 6 or 7) (561 characters)

This is one of the worst beers I have ever consumed. I was invited to a party tonight and knowing full well that the beer selection would suck, I prepared myself. The only saving grace was that it was out of a keg and not cans or bottles, so it could have been worse! The pour was almost transparent at expected, with a slight head that subsided quickly. The smell was of light grain and that's about it. The taste was grain at the very beginning, then the seltzer water taste set in with the slightly dry carbonation making up the rest of the "flavor". This beer is just wrong. (578 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a transparent yellow colour with a small white head that went away real fast with no lacing. The smell was of skunk. Nothing else. It was the worst smelling beer I have ever had. The taste wasn't as bad as the smell, but it did leave a lot to be desired. There was no hints of hops and only small hints of malts. Everything else was adjuncts. (349 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -47.7%

A party beer that gets very skunky if it is not served ice cold. The taste is very grainy. The color is gold, almost yellow with very little head. At this point I asked my self if i wanted to continue.

For the money your better off with Miller Lite if you are looking for a light brew. (288 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -41.6%

I haven't had much bad beer in my life; not since I was a teenager anyway. And I'm pretty sure that I've never had a 'light/lite' beer. Nevertheless, I'm fairly certain what this one will deliver. Or fail to deliver. Here goes...

Perfectly clear light straw. The head is pure white and looks cheap, if that's possible. Big bubbles form a fizzy, airy pillow that recedes very quickly (this beer lost its head faster than Louis XVI). Lace? Uh... no. The smell is pretty subdued, but still manages to be unpleasant. Smells like sour grain.

The taste is even worse than I'd imagined. My facial muscles can't help but form a grimace. This stuff is sour and watery in the extreme. Do they actually try to make it taste like this? How is this beer so popular? I'd like to be able to describe the flavor with more detail, but I can't make myself drink any more than a few mouthfuls. The rest is going down the kitchen sink drain.

The only reason this 'beer' doesn't get straight 1.0s is that I can imagine worse, namely the low-carb offerings like Michelob Ultra. I may never have the dis(pleasure) to actually taste and review them though, because I will not be spending my hard-earned money to abuse my palate like that. If someone gives me a bottle... maybe.

My Belgian-made pint glass is none too pleased with me right now for filling it with this vile liquid. And my kitchen sink drain isn't too happy either. The pint glass says that it may forgive me if a Storm King Stout is in its immediate future. (1,504 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -27.4%

Had this tonight at a girl's place as it was the only beer available. Did not taste good. Did not want another. Consumed straight out of bottle. Smell was rank and empty. Taste was worse - like sour watery corn. Felt horribly empty and horribly wrong. The sourness was the most apparent feature of this beer. I knew I was going to dislike this beer...but as long as I drank it, I figured I'd review it.

Obviously- avoid if at all possible (442 characters)

1.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a miniscule head that disappears almost immediately. Very, very pale golden color.

Aroma: What aroma? Bud Light lacks even the slight skunk smell associated with other, cheaper macros. A tiny, tiny amount of grain in the aroma.

Taste: High carbonation is the first thing you notice. Slight amount of hops. I served this ice cold, but even as it warms up you can't really taste anything. Mouthfeel is thin and boring … again, nothing to say really.

Drinkability: I can't imagine wanting more than one of these, but since there's no taste or flavor you could drink a bunch of 'em. If that's what you're looking for, and many people who drink Bud Light are, this is your beer.

Possibly the hardest beer to review I've ever tried, since there's no real flavor or complexity to comment on. If you're a BA member, chances are you've already tried this and know to stay away. If you're looking for cheap beer and like this "style," go with the vastly better (and cheaper) options: Stroh's, National Bohemian, PBR. Stay away. (1,048 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Yellow to clear. Not much to look at. Some white head and lacing.

Smell: Icky. Smells like a fraternity carpet. It's that "beer smell" that people dread. Nothing to really smell ingredient-wise except maybe some corn or rice.

Taste: Can't say that it tastes bad because, well, it has really no taste at all, especially when it is served ice cold. Nothing to even note here.

Mouthfeel: It is easy on the tongue and goes down quickly and easily.

Drinkability: You can drink 10 of these easily. It is a guilty pleasure that can be consumed en masse. If you have an entire day of football or company ahead, this would be a good brew to stock.

Overall: A beer with zero peronality, but is extremely drinkable. Good for the ball game or a long night out. Geez, it's like $1.50 a pint, so why not settle in with a few Bud Lights? (849 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -10.7%

I have so many friends who drink this...I need to convert them.
Anyway I can remember in highschool and college drinking this in mass quantity. Knowing nothing about a good beer. There is no smell to it at all very bland. Taste was weak at best and the after taste was that of 2 month old rotting underware. Mouthfeel consistant with tap water, but very easy to drink, if that happens to be your goal. (403 characters)

2.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Just had my 1st Bud Light since I was in high school, back when we would pay the pizza delivery guy to get beer for us. Some guests brought it over, and I had to try at least one. Nostalgia.

At first the taste was very similar to Budweiser, but the aftertaste was pretty bad. Typical Diet Beer. If I were drinking quantity, it might pass, but it's even a few notches down from regular Bud--the self-proclaimed king of beers. (427 characters)

2.17/5  rDev +10.2%

lemonade color body, frighteningly white head, decent lacing to the bottom of my cup. Astonishingly little aroma, but what aroma there is is of corn and lemon. The faintest taste of pale malt and corn. mouthfeel is of pelligrino which is good for pelligrino, but not for beer. This beer was gone in a flash, not because it was so tasty, but because there was nothing to saver. (376 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

Went to a big birthday party for a friend's son today and my friend points me to the bar saying, "get whatever you want." Well, I got something, (the only thing, it turned out) an ice-cold Bud Light.
Poured in a glass, this brew looks vaguely appealing to the unaware. A clear light golden hue with a fizzy, barely-there snow white head that dissolves in no time. That's as good as this beer gets. The smell is a rude assault on the nose, adjunct-laden sweetness followed by a sharp, penetrating medicinal note. The taste was something I'd not want to endure again in this life. Like biting into a riceball held together with Elmer's paste. Simply, absolutely and 100%-ly revolting. And that was while it was still near frozen. As I nursed it (why the hell did I do that!?), the repugnant flavor grew to nauseating levels and I finally knew I was beaten. The feel was even off; a weird, slick, cloying feel that belied the beer's light-bodied nature.
In retrospect, I guess I was just being polite. In the future, I'll come up with a good excuse (like, I have hepatitis) to avoid the near-destruction of my palate. Bud Light is, in a word: crap. (1,147 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -39.1%

On tap at the BC's dive bar Mary Ann's for $1 drafts.

Bud light is pale yellow, looks almost like club soda with yellow food coloring and a decent white head, very little retention. It smells brutal with raw cereal grains. Bud light tastes like beer flavored water, totally unappealing but fairly drinkable. It's no wonder that so many college kids pick up 30's of this, it goes down easy and isnt filling at all. All and all 1 word comes to mind, Swill.

PAX (465 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -29.9%

Its beers like this that sent us searching for web sites like this. Transparent, nice enough head, faint taste of some adjunct and then seltzer. I taste tested this with 3 other lights and it came out last. Yet I have two friends who proudly proclaim this is all they drink and yes they both have huge NASCAR posters in their garage (332 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -47.7%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest. (1,276 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -16.8%

Light? Transparent. There is no visual thickness to this beer whatsoever. Just a clear, golden color. Too gold. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was added food coloring. But I know better, right? Right?

Weird sharp smell, sort of a Budweiser trademark. If I hadn't drank my share of Bud, I'd swear it had gone skunky. But no, that's just the way Bud tastes.

Weird slimy mouthfeel to this one. I mean, it makes it go down nice and smooth, but it still gives the impression something is dreadfully wrong.

Another lousy light beer. Try it just to remind yourself what bad beer tastes like. (603 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -1%

Sweet, semi-sharp start. Smoother, very sharp, and noticably hoppy finish. As best i can tell Bud Light is essentially a sweeter and less diversely flavored version of Coors Light. Light to medium body, and an even, enjoyable aftertaste.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 28JUN03, this post is based on notes from that review. - (348 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was at a wedding. My options were liquor, shit wine, Bud Light, or Mic Light.

I chose liquor.

But then, as my stomach begged me for something else, I had a moment of weakness. It's really at these weak moments in life that we do our stupidest things, isn't it?

I could care less about A-B, how they make Bud Light, or anything else. Here's what I care about: This tastes like shit. It looks OK to be sure, though there's just something artificially white about that head. But it doesn't smell like anything except perhaps the bath tub after you've just drained it. The flavor is so dull and tongue-numbingly bland that I was thinking, "Ah well, it's not too bad." Then I had a conversation, the beer got warm, and I immediately recoiled in fear and loathing as I took another sip.

Something had crawled into my glass and died.

Or at least, that what it tasted like. Why the hell I didn't switch to the crap wine instead of beer, I'll never know. But I didn't. And so therein lies the inspiration for this review. (1,029 characters)

2.08/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a couple cans at a wedding only to re-try this for this was a pre-BA brew for me some many years back. I've come along way since only to wonder how this mass-produced light straw colored little beer holds such a large market share. It pours so clear you can see through it, as its pouring! The head is white and fizzy. It fades very fast to not even a thin film. The body is weak and lace is wispy if at all. Hops & malt, don't even go there, for not much to be found. A slight bitter, dry finish with some alcohol kick, if you drink enough of them. That must be the mass appeal. (589 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -40.1%

i hate his beer. as anything 'bud' seems to give me a headache (even just one), this one follows suit, but seeing as it's so watered down, it gave me less of a headache, so bonus points, i guess. basically, this looks and smells like the toilet water i just pissed in. not that i'd know, but i can't imagine this tastes much better wither. just plain awful. like water mixed with chemicals or something. no real beer flavouring here at all, save for a bit of graininess, perhaps. keep this one away from me. (507 characters)

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch