2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,901 | Reviews: 1,259 | Show All Ratings:
naireland

1.49/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Served from a chilled can into a snifter

A: pale piss yellow with slight fix

S: Staunchy and weak, smells of sweet yeast and corn

t: Yeast flavored water with no admirable or desirable taste.

m: cold and slightly carbonated, no detection of alcohol or bitterness

I consider Budlight to be "training beer". It's beer for people who don't really like beer but want to think they do. Ill admit that I spent my teen years being brainwashed into thinking this is what a brew was meant to be. I went on the tour in St. Louis twice, visited the tasting room, pet the Clydesdale, and heard the spiel about premium this, and age old technique that, got the t-shirt, etc. Well for years I have been drinking the stuff out of ignorance and finding that I didnt really care for beer.

I ended up only buying it or drinking it when I had to. Baseball games, Festivals, Casual lunches, etc but never once did I look forward to it or crave it. It was more less an mandated activity among friends. I could end this story by saying Anheuser ruined beer for me but I have have happier story in progress. One fine day I stopped into a bar for a lunch date only this wasn't just any bar, it was a premium beer only bar. Now up until this point I have only had PBR's, Coors, Miller, Bud, what have you and assumed that because they were the most popular that had to be the best. Boy was I stupid and the bartender was quick to point out that Macro brews were banned and that if I wanted a similar taste I could get a good draft beer and pour it into a pitcher of water. On that note I decided to make the rounds and went on a tour of all the finest micro brews that they had to offer. I settled on Morelien OTR as my favorite and to this day I have yet to touch a Bud Light.

I don't wan't to come off as a snob since there is an evident majority that prefers the Market beers but there is also a growing minority of beer lovers who demand a better beverage and I'm so thankful that the craft beer community is exploding and raising the bar. I can only hope that the Macro's take the hint and rejoin the competition.

08-20-2013 20:05:15 | More by naireland
comm0dore

1.49/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Yea, it's Bud Light. It's as shitty as it sounds, but when you really think about it- who needs fancy shit just to get drunk? Not this reviewer. Thumbs up because I'm drunk and loving it. The rest of this post? Just filler to get to the 250 character limit.

08-18-2013 04:08:09 | More by comm0dore
CloudStrife

12oz can poured into a tulip. Born on July 8, 2013.

A: Pours a very pale light yellow. Crystal clear. Some visible carbonation. Head fizzles away after 30 seconds or so.

S: Light malts come across as sort of a stenchy bread. Not very complex just feels off.

T: Goes back like water, not much flavor gets in the way between your lips and your throat. If you're looking to avoid flavor for this is for you. Does a good job at being nondescript.

M: Light body, average carbonation. Certainly the sessionability they tout.

Overall if you havent had it I'm surprised you're on this website.

08-08-2013 00:32:06 | More by CloudStrife
Beercheer31

Connecticut

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

One day a man was taking a leisurely stroll down a cobblestone road with the wind blowing south to north and the temperature was about 68 degrees Fahrenheit. The man curiously looked at his shoes and thought "I need new shoes".

This short story is better than this beer.

Serving type: growler

08-06-2013 23:01:36 | More by Beercheer31
JamesMcCauley93

4.25/5  rDev +129.7%

It really is easy to see why this is the best selling beer in the world. The stuff goes down easier than water, but brings all the feeling of a pleasant buzz. If you're a hop head or someone that only drinks craft, you have no business here, but if you like to spend a few hours enjoying a refreshing beer with your friends bud light does it as well as any other macro light. Also, like most of us I am the proud owner of a decent sized beer gut, a light beer once and while makes me feel like i've made healthy choice. Yes, theres nothing outstanding about bud light, but there is also absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thats what makes it the best selling beer in the world.

08-03-2013 03:06:48 | More by JamesMcCauley93
ReaperJohnnyC

1.71/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Nose, almost nothing...busy getting fizz popped up at my nose like a soda, not off to a good start...slight half cooked rice scent.

Color, pale straw, can see straight through it.

Taste, very watery and very fizzy like a bad soda, kills a lot a lot of flavor comprehension...maybe thats the idea. rice flavor after you get through the fizz and on the aftertaste especially...(surprise its almost half rice)

Palate, sits like water...feels a little oily after several.

overall, god awful, poor quality ingredients and its half rice...what is rice doing so heavy in a beer?

07-26-2013 07:46:47 | More by ReaperJohnnyC
Carl_R

Oklahoma

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

A - straw, light yellow

Smell - not much to the smell

T -not much taste, slight rice taste, crisp when cold

M - light and well carbonated

O - Nothing memorable about the beer, but it will do in a pinch on a hot day. Its best out of a ice cold cooler.

07-20-2013 01:54:41 | More by Carl_R
EdwardFortyHands

Iowa

2.89/5  rDev +56.2%

Pumped the keg once and poured into my red solo cup.

Tons of foamy head, took a bit of nose grease to dissipate.

A golden blonde, clear.

S None to speak of really, a beery smell came through as I swirled it around the red solo cup.

M. Carbonation, water, some alkie bit of hops.

O. had 7-8 of em but my wife drank some of those and others I put down and never remembered to pick up. All in all a good sippin lager.

07-14-2013 17:27:32 | More by EdwardFortyHands
DeFaz

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Everyone has had this, even those who don't remember doing so. It's a beer for those who don't like beer for those who think they like beer. It's a beer for people who don't know what the "appearance" or "smell" is really like because they don't pour it into a cup because it costs too much money to buy a plastic cup.

This goes down easy, and there's no denying that. It has a metallic taste, and the hops and malt are there but are concealed by adjuncts with names that I cannot pronounce. Better than most of the macro light lagers, this is mostly water with a bit of fake beer flavor to make you think you're drinking a beer. If you're someone who advocates for beer pong to be a professional sport, you probably like that. Anyway, again, it's not as bad as some of the light adjunct lagers out there.

Go a half-day without drinking water and your urine will be darker than this, and probably taste a little better too.

07-01-2013 02:55:01 | More by DeFaz
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1

this is rotten stuff almost every single time, in any format, from any location. ive somehow not reviewed this until now, although ive ranted about it constantly. not just for its low quality, but for its social position and politics, both of which I cannot tolerate at all. I did manage to have this fresh at the brewery though, and must confess that in that context, it is passable, albeit as a light adjunct brew, it didn't have its usual skunky metallic profile. in normal format though, this is swill I wont even usually touch. pee yellow, very fizzy, and tasting like anything but good fresh beer. I marvel at how millions of people consider this the good stuff, and how much profit it generates for its creators. to me, I would rather not drink honestly. the amount of these it would take me to get drunk is sickening, and hopefully I wont embark on that mission anytime soon. aren't they in a lawsuit for having watered this down? watering down water, that's a laugh...

06-18-2013 17:42:47 | More by StonedTrippin
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drank straight from a 355ml can

A: I split the can with my grandfather so i did get a look at it. Pale straw color topped with a one finger head. Retention was mild and lacing actually wasn't bad.

S: I couldn't get anything out of the can but perhaps thats not fair as most of my other reviews have been out of a bottle.

T: Very adjuncty. By this I mean the flavors of rice and it seemed like there was corn even though Bud doesn't claim to use it. Fairly sweet and watery with absolutely no hop flavor or bitterness to be found. Very plain but nothing really disgusting in it.

M: Crisp and goes down easily. Very fizzy and almost seltzer like to an extent.

O: It's just a Bud light at the end of the day. I'm not going to say it was awful because really it wasn't. I feel like too many craft nerds like to rip on bud when it reality its not bad in flavor profile its just absent. Probably would never buy it but if offered it I have no real problem with it.

06-17-2013 18:37:10 | More by Haydn-Juby
KYGunner

Kentucky

1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Straw like yellow and a collared thin head.

The scent is strangely metallic with very little else to comment on.

Very metallic in taste and scent it is nothing but watery, metal with a hint of rice.

Very little else to say, I expected water and got metallic water.

06-12-2013 00:54:40 | More by KYGunner
pjkelley82

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Yes. Just plain awful beer.

The smell, taste and mouthfeel are dreadfull. Again only thing I like is the look but that's with all beers in general.

Watery taste with nothing really there....

The best way to describe it is.... since I've had real good beers you can pick out so many different characteristics on so many different levels. It blew my mind how different they were... even within a same style. Then you try a Bud Light and you realize it's made to be cheap, get you drunk and as clean... by clean i mean watery and hiding any flavor.... as possible. Miller light would be a better choice if you like that stuff

06-10-2013 03:19:28 | More by pjkelley82
RCLOHR267

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +96.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

This is my cheap light beer of choice. I know it's nothing special, but it got me through college. And when the other beers I could afford we're so terrible (keystone, nattie lite), this felt like upper class. So I will always have room and nostalgia for Bud Light!

06-02-2013 19:42:11 | More by RCLOHR267
Mackbekeza

Tennessee

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

If you like beer that tastes very watery... hear you go! This is something I would buy if there was nothing else on the shelves. I honestly dont know why millions of people buy this beer. Maybe it't the fact that it does not taste like beer. its more like some kind of oddly flavored soda to me

05-27-2013 20:58:05 | More by Mackbekeza
ACinSC

South Carolina

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had these because all other options were off the table.

Nose is corn, rice and more corn as this is an adjunct lager.

Taste is of cardboard, rice and hops. Nothing fills it out. This beer does not stand out in any way. It's hard to make a strong protest against it though. It isn't revolting, just very, very plain. It doesn't even leave an aftertaste. (I guess that's a good thing for an unimpressive major label beer.)

05-25-2013 06:48:52 | More by ACinSC
kwyers

Lets be realistic, bud light may not be craft beer. But it has got more people laid than any craft beer. Most of life of a man revolves around getting laid, then you grow up get married then getting laid doesn't matter as much. When is the last time Pliny got you laid??? Dont hate on people that drink light beer, let them do their thing. Most girls do not drink craft beer if they drink any beer at all. I personally am beer spoiled due to my occupation, and I drink tons of craft beer with visits to Russian river, 21st amendment, victory, magic hat and goose island so far this year. The only reason these craft beers exist is because anheuser busch lets them. Craft beer is about 10% of the beer industry. Beer is meant to be drank. Drink up.

05-14-2013 22:34:08 | More by kwyers
sharlie

4.19/5  rDev +126.5%

This is my all time favorite beer, for a everyday drink. Whether its after a long day of work or even a tailgate day where you are out drinking all day in the sun, this is the beer for you. It is a light beer that is nothing special. Served cold out of the bottle is best for this beer. It's look is light and carbonated with little aroma this beer is good for any occasion.

04-29-2013 12:49:24 | More by sharlie
Roguer

Connecticut

1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

A - The definition of average. Pale, straw-colored, and clear.

S - There is very little smell to a typical Bud Light, but what smell there is can only be described as "skunky."

T - This is as close to undrinkable as a beer can be for me. BL doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, and what flavor it does have is extremely bitter (maybe a hint of wheat). Much worse, the bitterness can't be nailed down to "pine hops" or "floral notes;" no, it's just plain bitter, as an independent quality. I again refer you to "skunky."

M - A little oily, but this isn't a beer that I want coating my mouth at all. It mostly goes down smooth, so there's that.

O - This beer is perhaps the least-aligned brew with my own preferences. When I enjoy hoppy bitterness in a beer, I need it to be balanced and flavorful; this is neither of the latter. I cannot stand what little flavor is present. That bitterness might work for other people (judging by the average score, however, it does not), but when it's not balanced with anything else, it's just not for me.

04-28-2013 19:59:52 | More by Roguer
armiakhe

3.56/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought the bud light was very good. The appearance was a light yellow coloring. The smell was of wheat and a little malt to it. THe taste was very crisp and refreshing and I enjoyed it a lot. Best out of the bottle but the can was alright too. The aroma was not that good and was a little bland.

04-26-2013 12:32:00 | More by armiakhe
Catherine8189

3.33/5  rDev +80%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served straight from a tallboy. Golden yellow appearance and a classic light beer. You can drink a lot of this beer. American beer taste. Toasted grains really come through in the aroma and taste, but there is not much flavor diversity beyond that. A very refreshing beer that has a lively, highly carbonated mouthfeel. Smooth taste, with bubbles, and with very little lingering aftertaste.

04-25-2013 23:39:36 | More by Catherine8189
GarthDanielson

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a tallboy into a shaker pint. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I used to drink so much of it before that I almost feel compelled to give it a shake now. The beer is a pale, almost clear, yellowish coloring with a frothy white head that quickly settles into a sparse coating of filmy, white bubbling. Fast, moderate amount of carbonation bubbling. Aromas of toasted grains, and not much else. Flavors of not a whole hell of a lot. Seriously. Clean, with some toasted grain characteristics, but very subtle. Aftertaste is funky, with a slightly floral and sour character to it. Clean, crisp finish. Very neat and clean brew, but lack just about every other quality.

04-06-2013 03:56:22 | More by GarthDanielson
BlueMoon10

Mississippi

3.55/5  rDev +91.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This by far is my favorite beer that I know can be found anywhere and is light allowing you to drink on it for hours at a time. Basically between Coors Light, Miller Light, and Bud Light, I will always go with Bud. Now having said all of that it by all means doesn't make it the best. It terms of flavoring and sipping on a beer to enjoy its creativity this obviously isn't the beer for that. It's about as simple and generic as a beer can get but it does have drinkability going for it.

04-02-2013 21:49:58 | More by BlueMoon10
bbluemzbeer

3.6/5  rDev +94.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am reviewing against other light beers. I drank this for my first beer and cold. It is pretty good. The poor rating on the site is ridiculous. Is this number one selling beer in America ? Because it is horrible or the millions they put in their advertisement. It is not the taste or quality. You think America consumers is that stupid.
Here is the honest review

Appearance : Yellow lager. I got little watery lacing run down the side of the glass.

Smell : hint cereal grains.

Tastes: It is taste like America style light. It taste of grains , corn and malt. It is better taste then some other light beers. Dry and crisp and actually very easy to drink.

Overal: This beer is smooth, crisp, refreshing, balanced, easy on the tongue. I wanted a light lager. I got it! I was not looking for ale, stout or wheat beer. Would buy this again ? On special occasions but I take a Busch light or natural light over this because price

04-01-2013 15:33:41 | More by bbluemzbeer
sam_bliss

Washington

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours from the blue can into the globe glass and immediately a huge three-finger head forms. This tops a clear, golden light-yellow lager, but only for a while. The foamy head reduces to just a thin bubble-cap over the next couple minutes. This beer has amazing clarity, which is augmented by the light color; as close to colorless as beer gets. The first sniff is slightly sweet, and the second brings light alcohol and stale grains with a bit of that sourness typical of adjunct lagers. Tastes a tiny bit sweet and lightly malted. Feels refreshing and crisp.

By now the head has left the beer naked. Very little hop character is present to offset the mild corny flavor. The extremely understated pale and bready malts allow bland adjuncts to leave Bud Light quite watery in the mouth. Seltzer watery, specifically. It reminds me bit of dry sparkling cider because of the light body, tingly carbonation, and very weak aftertaste of tang.

I guess I prepared myself for even worse, but BL pretty much sucks. I cannot imagine how poorly it would taste if it weren't super chilled. Even Bud Light Platinum is significantly better, at least according to my review. Get me an ale! Or at least a real lager...

03-13-2013 03:10:18 | More by sam_bliss