Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev +32.4%

One of my staples. I don't know why.

Pours a lovely dehydrated urine color. The kind of urine you get after roofing all day with no drink. Thin, awesome looking, Joy dish soapy head. Lacing looks like soap scum from bath water. Lovely.

Smells of stale wet clothes. The same smell you get when you leave 'em in the washer for 2 days and then remember to take 'em out. Badass!!

Tastes the same way. Chew on a old wet towel Jerry Tarkanian style and that is the exact same taste.

Feels like thin diet soda in the mouth. Overly carbonated Diet Mt. Dew mouthfeel.

I still like this beer. Lots of fond memories come from it. Like the time Angus Young took a drink from my cup at the AC/DC concert. Not relevant to the review, I just like telling that story.

1.92/5  rDev +3.8%

What can one say about Bud Light? Not a whole lot here. Probably the most nonchalant beer ever, although this one seems to have a little more bite than usual. She's pretty yellow, not unlike urine. It tastes OK, and goes down fairly easy. You won't even notice it when you drink it, which isn't always a bad thing.

2.36/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in pint glass poured from a table tapper.

First off I'll start by saying that I'm well aware that there are worse beers out there. This beer was free because we won it during trivia. The choices we were faced with was Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light, or no free beer. Faced that horrid decision we settled for this as the upset consensus pick.

Now to the beer. It pours a extraordinarily light pale golden as if water was poured into already lightened beer. The head is a decent white foam that fades quite rapidly. I smelled almost nothing, which I've learned isn't the worst thing. What I do pick up is a bit of corn and wheat sugar and a little bit of sour. The taste is predominately the sweeter corn like tastes that are the preference of many redneck. There is also the bitter tasting backer which i can only assume is the flavor derived from trying to smooth out and lager mass produced grains that are of lower quality. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated as I would expect from the very light body. The drinkability depends on your personal preference. While it may be physically easy to drink this, the more you consume of it the more you will hate your life. And as a funny side note this probably has a similar amount of sugar per volume as Guinness. So why would you choose this? There are cheaper things out there if cost is the issue. Perhaps this is the minimum level of quality people can tolerate drinking in mass quantities. A good standard to note as I soon shall accompany TMoney2591 in Swill Tour 2010.

1.99/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Who doesn't love free table-tappers? If only we won Quizzo more often... Anyway, it was inevitable this would be done, so let's just get down to it. Consider it a preface to Swill Tour 2010 (upcoming...trust me, it shall be painful).

It pours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose is very weak, comprising some very light wheat, rice, and corn syrup notes. The taste ain't much better, with bad blackened wheat and puffed rice dominating the proceedings, while some mildly sweet corn syrup tries vainly to clean things up a bit. (I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it made sense while I typed it.) The body seems infused with helium, with a moderate carbonation and a rather watery feel. Y'know, I have no idea why light beer was invented. Seriously, this just ain't good at all.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

The only pro's about Bud Light is that it:
1 - Relatively cheap.
2 - Great for people new to beer because it tastes like water.
3 - It'll get you drunk.
4 - Easy to hand to anyone because of its neutral almost non-existent flavor. You go to a cookout, no one will say no to a Bud, where as they might not want something heavy like a Guinness.

The cons?
Everything else.
#2 listed above: not good for people who enjoy beer.
Looks like water.
Has no consistency.
Utter lack of character.
Is rather generic - can't tell the difference between many beers in its peer group.
Etc.

2.7/5  rDev +45.9%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Light, almost clear with a yellow tinge.

S- Slightly stale smell with a lingering sower sent

T- Not very impressive, stale wheat taste.

M- slightly strong carbonation, easy to drink but not my beer of choice.

D- Easy to drink. Its a cheep beer, good to drink if there's nothing else.

2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - The beer is crystal-clear and a light yellow color with maybe a bit of gold. The head is nonexistent. Pure white foam appears as it is poured, and then is gone immediately.

S - Almost no aroma. Faint noble hops and nothing else.

T - Tastes are faint and muted. No malt. Some mild hop bitterness and very mild taste. No alcohol. A corn or rice note at the end.

M - Light body lightened even more by carbonation. Some drying astringency at the end of the swallow.

D - This is drinkable in the sense that nothing is stopping you from having another (heavy body, alcohol burn, etc.). But why would you want to? Nothing is off or offensive here; it's just too much of nothing.

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

A. straw yellow maybe lighter than that and head that disappears as fast as it forms

S. hint of something of a hop in water

T. light malts and water

m. heavy carbonation water like

D. very drinkable in large amounts

typical american light beer cheap enough to drink daily to get buzzed.

1.71/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: light straw yellow in color, 1 inch head, high carbonation, clear

Smell: grass and light semi-skunky grain

Taste: follows the nose--grass and light semi-skunky grain

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, slightly bitter, light bodied, watery

Drinkability: This one makes me wonder how they squeeze so much flavor into Coors Light. Even when grading to style this one is just not good. It is too light and the taste is very off putting. Amongst the big three US macro breweries this is the clear third in light lagers.

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

A-watered down apple juice with a dish soap look head that goes away not to be seen again
S-nothing of note slightly metallic
Taste-Again almost nothing like malt water very thin
M-watery and fizzy like drinking an alkaseltzer
D- You can chug this like no other

1.48/5  rDev -20%

473ml can poured into a pint glass. ABV marked as 4%.

A - Poured a clear pale yellow with a bubbly head that quickly vanished. No lacing.

S - Faint grains and water.

T - Very light adjunct notes and water. No hints of hops what so ever.

M - Watery and thin. Wife's reaction: "Well, it's cold!"

D - Drain pour. Just unsatisfying. There's nothing going on here but water and hints of something else. I'd rather have a ginger ale at this point, much more flavour.

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a ultra pale straw colored fluid with a mess of active carbonation that slowly falls to a quarter inch head. Little to none lacing.

S- Faint corn, grain and metallic scent on the nose.

T-M- Taste is heavily watered down corn and grains. Not even a touch of hop noticable. Has a sweet grainy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is of lightly carbonated stale water that taints the tongue.

D- Not my kind of light beer

2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Even though I have drank this beer in nearly every delivery form (once out of a ceremonial "plunger" at Osan AB, Korea even) I chose "can" since this beer's only purpose is to satisfy the needs of one at a real beer pounding event, like before a NASCAR race, tailgating, large "get drunk" gatherings, etc.

A - Pale wee color if you made your wee with a dehydration rate of about 20%. I've seen more head on a glass of mineral water.

S - A little bit of smell that can actually make you thirsty for better beer. Kninda like getting a fleeting whiff of steak, then seeking out steak. There may be some hint of hops there, but it is almost immediately overwhelmed by the adjuncts used in the process

D - Like mentioned above, for heavy pounding only. If you seek out to drink this beer for taste alone, and are not dissatisfied, you really have no idea what good beer should taste like. This beer tastes a little like soured Perrier, if that's possible. There are hints of things that have a flavor, but I am not certain what those things were at one time.

M - It's wet...

D - Once again, for large scale drinking. Think "cooler" while floating down a river in a tube... No big deal if you spill some, don't want to get too wasted, good for chugging when you are thirsty. I do have these in my fridge most any time for friends and family that don't understand the whole "good beer" concept. I myself will even down a few early in the day when I haven't "committed" to actually drinking yet.

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

I am partially embarrased to admit Bud Light is almost always im my fridge. It's my wifes beer of choice and to be honest on rare occasion its mine too. Bud Light is wonderful for the fact after working outside in 95 degree tempetures I come home about as gross as you can possibly imagine, and I dont want to waste my good and wonderful beer on my compromised state, so i'll have a bud light. Goes down smooth as all hell, I'm pretty sure I can't even taste it anymore, and after one or two of these I'm certainly a bit relaxed, and ready to enjoy the fine beer waiting in the fridge for me.

1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

12oz bottle, poured into a mug

Pale straw yellow with a large amount of bubbles and nearly see through. The aroma is clean and dull. Can't really pick out anything more than cereal grains. The body is extremely light and highly carbonated. This is crisp and light and really dances around due to the high carbonation. A bit of grain and a dry finish. There really is no substance behind this beer. Highly carbonated grain flavored water.

I wrote my 1st review right before this one and chose a beer I wanted to rave about - thus giving my review profile an A+ average due to only one entry. Then I thought well what do I despise - to help balance out. Here you go.

Bud Light is like weak pee. If it didn't have alcohol they could probably pass it off as some sort of tea product. Amazing there are some people out there who swear by it. No hops apparent at all. Slighest hint of cheap grain. Mouthfeel like runoff from a glass of melting ice and like that glass it leaves you feeling lacking - like where's the rest of it. And unpleasant when the cold wears off.

1.06/5  rDev -42.7%

Oh come on. You can't be serious. This is not beer. It a "beer like product". This has to be half rice syrup. They only use enough malt to provide the needed enzymes for the lager yeast to live I bet.
This is perhaps the best example of what advertising can do. People are led to believe they can stay slim by drinking this crap. That's how they sell so much. Otherwise folks would never buy this swill.
Headache in a bottle is what it is.
Here goes.
A: Light yellow, carbonated with no head retention or lacing.
S: What smell?. Oh can't identify the smell as beer related.
T: Hideous and week as a beer type "product".
M: Like water except thinner.
D: Undrinkable to anyone who knows the first thing about beer.
The only thing this "beverage" has in common with beer is that it's fermented I bet. Even that could be faked here along with the hops substitute.
The yugo of the beer world. Makes me ashamed to admit this is made in America. Pity.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Bright yellow and fizzy.

S-Sweet. Pretty grimey. corn.

T-Gross. Metallic, sickly sweet. Super watery. There is no likeable characteristics in the taste of this beer.

M-Light and bubbly. Very watery. Kinda sticky.

D-Refuse to rate its drinkability high. Just because it is watery and bland doesn't make it drinkable.

Someone told me Bud Light tastes like a ham sandwich in a can. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand the sentiment.

1.18/5  rDev -36.2%

Looks like an extremely watered down beer, extremely translucent.

Can smell the hops, but they seems to be diluted, smells kind of skunky.

This is by far the WORST beer I have ever tasted. It taste like water, mixed with alcohol, and just a trace amount of hops. It has a light feel to it, but feels slick on the palate.

Notes: If I go to a party and this is what they are drinking, I'll go without.

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance is a clear light golden color. Not big in the nose but i can smell a little grain. Taste is nothing to write home about, it of course the typical light lager taste, a little metallic, grainy, very watery. Mouthfeel is thicker than soda, carbonation is good. There is nothing offensive about this beer, so i guess the drinkability is fine. I would rather drink this than a craft beer that has a soapy or skunky taste. Its never something I'll go buy, but when I am out with the guys and they offer me one, sure i'll drink it.

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: The head there is quickly heaves and sinks, while the appearance is utterly clear and sickly yellow.

S: Sweet corn scents make me cringe. Grainy fumes go straight to my head. Distinctly unpleasant.

T: Surprisingly inoffensive, but so obviously sweet I don't know how anyone stomachs it. There is an initial carbonation which keeps things lively until the cloying main taste wrecks everything. The aftertaste is fleeting, but the corn never really goes away.

M: Watery, bland, sticky; sweet and clingy, but simultaneously washing through the mouth. Real bad, but conceivably it could be worse.

D: If you don't taste it, you're fine. If you do, you're doomed. Sweet corn adjunct grain pervades the senses. I cannot bring myself to finish the beer; I honestly think it would give me a stomachache. If you must consume Bud Light, swill, don't sip. Admittedly, the bottled version is superior to the canned variety.

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Born on July 17th 2010 - drinken on August 13 2010
(Anheuser Bush copy righted "born on date" which is ridiculous)

Very clear beer. I was surprised at how little head retention there was. At least Budweiser hold a decent looking head.

Smells of lager yeast, almost wine-like. Very faint though. this beverage is virtually scentless.

Tastes of lager yeast. It has more of a mouthfeel at the end of the sip than an actual flavor. A slight sulfury flavor is happening. Very watery. Zero hop bitterness, flavor or aroma.

This beer is cleaner than most water, I give it that. But I had no interest in finishing my drink.

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pale straw with great clarity and little carbonation. A foamy white head comes and goes quickly. Leaves no lace.

S: Not much going on here. A bit of straw and rice is all I picked up.

T: A rice dominated graininess provides 90% of the flavor. I know that there's barley in here, but it's hard to find. Bitterness is hinted at, but flavorless. Finishes very dry and clean.

M: The light body is thin and dry. Could stand more carbonation.

D: Just a step above seltzer water. There's nothing off-putting about this beer, but nothing to enjoy either. It's a perfectly innocuous alcohol delivery device for the beer drinker who doesn't really like beer.

2.74/5  rDev +48.1%

An average american beer. Cheap enough to be affordable to anyone, and the taste suits everyone. Not too watery, and nothing distinguishable about it. Definitely should only be used as a 30 rack. Light carbonation, just a completely normal beer. Lacking heavily in creativity.

1.51/5  rDev -18.4%

24oz can. Born on date of June 13, 2010.

A very pale straw yellow with lots of foam and lively bubbles.

Grainy smell with kind of a rotten something nose to it. I wish I could describe the rotten more clearly...

Light grain, a little sweetness, bitter notes that don't suggest anything useful. Grainy in the finish. Yuck. I thought Coors Light was bad.

Even on the cheapo, I'd never think about buying this again. I wish the serving was, like, 8oz or less instead of 24. No worries, my sink is getting a treat!

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch