Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Two words best describe this beer to me, reliable disappointment.

Thin yellow with a grayish white head.

Smells of cheap ingredients and crushed dreams.

Taste is a colorful delight, a dazzling brew that shows what motivated people can do with barley, hops, water and yeast... Just kidding, it blows.

This beer gets the job done but its not worth the damage to my liver to drink it. In my opinion its one of the worst beers in the world. Its drinkable with some salt and a lime and also if ice cold and in a beer bong at a college party.

jbphoto88, Jul 13, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +83.8%

Apperance: Poured 12 oz can into mug, 1/2 finger of foam quickly disapears. Bright golden yellow, lots of carbonation.

Smell: Grains, water and a little alcohol.

Taste: Watered down Budweiser. Not really a bad thing.

Mouthfeel: Stays wet in your mouth, mostly watery residue.

Drinkability: The best, just pop the top and drink, smooth nothing offensive left in your mouth.

NOOGIE, Jul 12, 2008
2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

I don't even know where this came from or when it got there, but this has been sitting in my fridge for awhile - a single, solitary can that I was waiting for someone to consume. No one has, so I figured what the hell, I'll drink and review it.

Pours a very light, clear yellow with a fizzy white head. Head recedes to a thin lace.

Smell is not pleasant. Skunky and vegetal, also some adjunct "grain" aromas. Yuck. Even in the days before I started drinking craft beer I remember that I would not smell a Bud Light before consuming it because it was just so nasty.

Taste is much better than the smell and is quite smooth really. Not really much flavor but there is some malt sweetness and grain. Zip for hops.

This baby is watery thin, but it drinks pretty easy.

This is not a beer I would drink with any regularity whatsoever but it makes a pretty drinkable camping beer. Smell aside, not a bad macro.

number1bum, Jul 08, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

I think I would have to say that BL mite be my favorite Macro. When I cannot afford good beer, I always end up running to the supermarket and grab these. Also, since alot of my friends dont drink good beer, they usually buy this. It IS good for BBQs, the beach, and parties because its cheap and plentiful

scottyshades, Jul 06, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was all that was in my friends house and I was thirsty.

A - Pours a watery pale straw color with a nasty fizzy white excuse for a head. Looks like piss water.

S - Straw and metalic aromas, has a slight bitter skunk to it.

T - Just as lousy as the nose and leave a blah aftertaste.

M - Watery and fizzy.

D - Avoid at all cost.

trackstar1043, Jul 03, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours very light yellow, almost clear as far as beer goes.

Thin white head doesn't retain long. Nose is faint, grain-like, and quite possibly playing a tug of war with the ambient aromas in the room. (not much nose to be found)

On the palate this beer is noticeably carbonated, thin bodied, and completely lacking in any flavor whatsoever. If they were aiming for a flavorless beer like vodka makers aim for a neutral tasting spirit, then Budweiser has hit the nail on the head.

No redeeming features of this product.

yemenmocha, Jul 02, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

This has to be the worse tasting crap I have ever subjected my taste buds to in my life. The smell is not there, taste is well...like metal. Looks like urine and I would guess it taste worse. No wonder the world laughs at us when this is the "best seller" we have...you gotta be kidding me?

As stated before I can drink the worse water and have no problem, but this stuff makes me cringe...it's horrible.

unionturf, Jun 17, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

Bud Light is the typical College beer and has only one reason only: to consume as much as possible in a short amount of time to get really hammered.

Appearance is incredibly bland, almost light water with a nonexistant head.

Smell is nonexistent as it has maybe a small hint of some really watered down hops, but nothing spectacular.

Taste is bad from the get go. There's a bitter, highly carbonated aftertaste that tore up my stomach. For a light beer, there's a ton of carbonation.

Mouthfeel is nonexistent and by the time the bottle is done, there's barely any taste whatsoever to savor.

Drinkability lies in getting hammered quickly or for a nice round of beer pong. Other than that, it's really not worth it.

The only time I enjoyed this is when I won it a serious game of Texas Hold 'Em, other than that, it's not on my list of beers to get.

Getinthevan, Jun 15, 2008

Someone bought a bottle of this for my birthday, and how can you turn that down? Might as well review this beer, considering I drank about a million of these in college, so many years ago. Unimpressive appearance, pale yellow. Smell is almost nonexistent. Taste is actually tolerable, some grain and a hint of crisp malt flavor. Until it warms up, that is. At that point, things go south and it's pretty bad. Gotta drink this beer cold, that's for sure.

PhxHorn, Jun 14, 2008
2.35/5  rDev +27%

This was definitely the first beer that I had ever tasted (a long time a go and the only reason why I'm reviewing it) and didn't think I could finish it. Last night while at a birthday party I tried to actually analyze the flavors instead of mindlessly downing it and found that it had light cereal grain (first time I detected "cereal grain" and could recognize it), corn, slightly metallic (even from a bottle), and undoubtedly there must be rice involved (the abv has to come from somewhere!). Barely any hop presence. This stuff is bubbly and watery and hopefully cold. Miller light probably has more of a pilsner, light barley malt taste in it but it still doesn't make it much better. It has a strange afterbite in it that I cannot pinpoint. This is soda water with a drop of bad tasting beer in it. Yet it is drinkable because of how non-existent it is (I gave it a 3.5 for drink) so if you're drinking/chugging as fast as you can you can catch a buzz.

joshwlt, Jun 12, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This is obviosuly not good stuff, but it is drinkable and inoffesnive, better than a lot of "light beer" out there and even a number of other beers.

Very pale yellow, it has a decent, large white head that steadily shrinks but never vanishes, leaving a decent thin foamy top.

The aroma is very light grain, a faint hint of grassy hops, and a little soapiness. The taste is similar, with very light but noticeable grain-grassy flavour, a faint hint of apple, and a faint hint of dishwater. It's also rather watery, but less so than some, and is rather easy to drink.

Compared to Coors Light or even regular Coors, it looks, tastes, and feels better.

Offa, Jun 09, 2008
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

So, I ran out of Sierra Nevada at my sister's graduation party and had to switch to these. UGH! Pee-yellow, light carbonation, impressive head for what it is. Smells faintly of corn and malts. Taste is completely watered down. So watered down in fact, I added some lemonade to it and created a shandy which made it taste like watered down lemonade. Not a good beer by any means.

KeefD, Jun 08, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Um...I don't really know what to say. It's not good, okay, I mean, it's really terrible. It looks like pee-pee, and it smells like corn, and maybe some slight sweet malt. The nose and flavor are incredibly weak maltiness, with absolutely no hops...as in, I don't think they actually use hops in this "beer." Sad but true. Feel is thin and weak. I dunno, it gets you drunk, but it's truly awful.

soupyman10, Jun 07, 2008
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Light yellow with no head left, just a small ring around the edge.

S: Very light hopps and nothing more.

T: Like water with a touch of beer added. Lots of carbonation and a bad aftertaste.

M: Carbonated yet flat. How do you pull that off?

D: Not again

meatmallet, Jun 06, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +75.7%

I have been drinking such great beers recently that I thought it about time to bring my senses back into focus. I had a feeling that a cheap light lager would do the trick. I do not normally drink light lagers, because I believe that finding a really quality light lager that I would enjoy would be a difficult task. I believe equally that making a tasty light beer is a difficult task, considering that one of the main goals is to eliminate excessive calories, which is normally not a concern of the great brewers out there. So, I picked up two light beers (Yuengling Light Beer for comparison) tonight and tried Bud Light from a 16 oz. bottle, which I poured into a pilsener glass. Born on date reads: 2/8/08

A: With a vigorous pour, I get a thick white head with fairly small bubbles sitting on top of a crystal clear, pale straw body. I am impressed by how long the head stays around for, especially after dissipating to a thinner layer on top of the beer. No lace on the glass and very little active carbonation present in the beer.

S: This is a very clean smelling beer. It is difficult to smell much of anything. However, there is the vaguest hop aroma accompanied by the typical AB smell. This shows up in the taste as well.

T: Rice and malt are there, much more than any hop flavor. There is the distinctive flavor from Anheuser-Busch beers, which comes from their Beechwood aging process, which personally I really like. I think it adds something where nothing used to be...Also, call me crazy but there are some light fruity esters that show up when the beer warms a bit.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied. This is what one wants in their light lager.

D: The Bud Light was easy to drink. And since I found that it wasn't lacking in character, I could have another. If light beer was something I wanted in my life, I might pick this one up again.

MusicaleMike, Jun 03, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Went out with my friend to celebrate her birthday last night. The club had an expensive menu, but were offering bud light for 2 bucks. What they hey, I am buzzing, and need to keep it going for cheap. Big Mistake.

Appearance - In a bottle, couldn't really make it out in a dark club.

Smell - Awful, just completely unpleasant. Smells like raw bread.

Taste - It does not taste like water like most people make it out. Water does not make me cringe while I drink it. It is just an awful sensation of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Feels foamy, and has a nasty texture to it.

Drinkability - Honestly, I can not see how it has become Americas top selling beer. It does not make me want to grab another. Sure, it wont feel you up and you can drink as many as you want, but why punish yourself?

For a light beer expirience that provides low calories, with exceptional flavor and drinkability, Sam Adams light does the trick well. It is no wonder the rest of the world shames our beer drinking palate, when this crap brew is the number one seller in America.

abecall98, Jun 02, 2008
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer that most of my friends routinely drink, and I'm not so sure why. It's weak, it smells awful, and it goes down like yellow water...if you know what I mean. Never retains head, minimal lacing, bad taste, bad smell. There's really nothing redeemable about this beer at all.

Onenote81, May 29, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

A - Very Light, Head OK

S - Nothing fantastic.

T - Water with a hint of hops

Mouthfeel - See above (Taste)

Drinkability - Goes down like Water

Very Very Very average beer. If your intentions are to consume as much fermented grain as possible than this is ok but other than that find a better beer!

andreasmwatt, May 26, 2008
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured in American pint glass. Almost complete lack of head, but some lacing did remain. Translucent yellow color, eerily similar to urine. Very effervescent, and this showed through in the taste. Bright flavour, very active, but without substance. Watery mouthfeel. The taste disappeared almost midway through, although a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste surfaced. I remember some good times with this beer, but find it hard to drink more than half of one now.

KiltedCulinarian, May 19, 2008

This is the best selling beer in America? I recently read that somewhere. The only conclusion I can come to is, on the whole, the majority of American beer drinkers have no taste. It has to be dumbass college kids driving sales of this dreck. This is putrid. I guess it's true: if you repeat a lie long enough, people will believe it.and with their commercials they repeat it ad nauseam.

Appearance- watery yellow
smell- awful
taste- awful
mouthfeel- watery/gassy
drinkability- why would you want to?

I recently picked up a number of different macros looking for one to stretch the budget in times of rediculously inflated beer prices.
this was one. bad choice. I also said in a past review of one of them : 'numerous horrible reviews to follow'. not so. I'm not reviewing anymore of these over hyped, over carbonated, nasty tasting cans of rancid dog piss. so there.
Take that anheuser- busch, and shove your gazillion dollar advertising budget up the south end of a north bound clydesdale.

don't waste your money, they'll just spend it on more stupid commercials,and you'll feel like you've been had.
and you'll be right.

Jaguar, May 17, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -27%

Bud Light is the Ryan Leaf of brews- the epitome of the epic fail. It's the reason that young Americans are losing interest in beer and that Europeans think we're such jackasses.

Appearance: Yellow and thinly carbonated.

Smell: smell is extremely faint.

Taste: I guess I can see where people are coming from when they say "no taste"- it's undoubtedly weak. On the other hand, I think this stuff tastes awful. It's got a weird saltiness to it like I'm drinking dishwater. Bleh.

Mouthfeel: nothing much to report other than that it is very light bodied and that it makes you want to brush your teeth.

Drinkability: I guess a lot of people might rate this attribute higher because it's so light, but this stuff tastes so bad that I really can't imagine chugging it for a quick thirst-quench, although I guess a lot of people do that.

Bud Light is simultaneously AB's most popular product and one of its worst. Budweiser, on the other hand, is actually not too bad.

Cheech22, May 13, 2008
1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

473ml can
4.0% ABV

Brewed in Canada by Interbrew's Labatt division

I tried this beer (for the first time ever) on April 14, 2008 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer pours a very translucent pale yellow (almost clear with yellow food colouring added to give it a tinge of colour). The aroma is weakly malty, with nothing else. The mouthfeel was very thin, watery with little carbonation. The flavour was watery as well, again water with a little bit of artificial beer taste added. I have to admit, while there was nothing spectacular about this beer, it went down very fast.

cyrenaica, May 12, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

Got a real good deal on two 24-can cases. Split these cans with friends and the only reason I got this was because they payed.

A- Looked like watery piss in the can

S- Smelled like nothing but maybe some malts

T- Tasted like nothing but maybe some corn and rice malts

M- Felt like stale water. OK carbonation

D- Drinks fine for the price but I wouldn't buy it for myself

P.S.- I don't like light beers

EnojysAnyBeer, May 05, 2008
1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

A pale staw color with a tan head. The mell is of old hops and some malt syrup. The taste is similar. Not much different than water. Sparkling yellow water that is. Bitter is the main component. Body is light with a heavy carbonation. Not the most drinkable light beer. Good for cooking perhaps? Pairs well with a NASCAR race.

rye726, May 05, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Very pale yellow, and very clear. Half-inch head that recedes to thin collar with no lacing.

S - What smell? I have a hard time distinguishing anything aside from cereal grain and alcohol.

T - There is virtually no taste to this beer. Faint corn flavors lead to an odd bitterness, and that's about it.

M - Horribly carbonated. I suppose it works considering the rest of this beer's shortcomings, but every 2 sips I need to belch uncontrollably. Thin and watery.

D - If you prefer absolutely tasteless beer, it'd be no problem to knock these back. Otherwise it's a boring flavorless beer. Not exactly bad, but then again it's not exactly anything.

This used to be the beer of choice when I was under 21, but I've found that Bud Light steered me away from beer in general for quite a while. I'm only drinking this one because a buddy left some over here one night. With this being a lot of people's idea of "beer," it's no wonder hardly anyone understands the beverage.

PatrickJR, May 02, 2008