Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

My go to college beer... when I didn't know any better.

A - Looks like sparkling cider.

S - Smells like hay and a rusty pipe.

T - Tastes like sparkling apple cider with some metal shavings in it.

M - The same feel as a soft drink.

D - Would rather drink water. If served out of the fridge at a close to freezing temp then I can put one down.

1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

A - It is really quite remarkable, this beer is perhaps more translucent than water. Or glass. Or air. Nice head and lacing, too little effervescence.

S - Not much. Faint grain, metal, and something vaguely unpleasant.

T - Horrendous. It tastes mostly bland, and vaguely like beer, but there is also a taste that is despicable. I can't identify it exactly, but it lasts for a long time after the beer has been consumed. It is a taste stain. Similar to the lingering odor that permeates your car if you leave a bag of McDonald's in it.

F - Disturbingly thin.

D - This beer gives you instant indigestion.

Generally, I only drink this at stadiums where there is not an import vendor. Which is basically nowhere, these days. Today, I drank it for 'experimental' purposes.

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

I despise this brew for brainwashing my fellow Americans into thinking that this sort of thing is beer.

It doesn't have a smell or taste. I can only thank this beer for making me truly appreciate brews of substance and character.

It is one of the most popular beers in the world. I dont really know how to explain this. Good marketing?

If you dont care what you drink, you might give this a go when you aren't forced at gunpoint.

Very light 1 finger of airy bubbles fade to minimal head, with the tiny head only formed from rising bubbles within the glass. Light, pale yellow.

Nose- subtle nothing. Definition of nothing. Cant detect any kind of dominate scents.

Light watery mouthfeel. Bubbly carbonation.

I have nothing more to say about this.

Avoid.

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured into a mug-no real head to speak of (not sure why i poured it out of the can, not real appealing)

Smell-corn and faint alcohol

taste-just so bland, still my go to beer in a situation serving miller lite and coors light though

mouthfeel-its crisp and overcarbonated

drinkability-i could drink it all day i think if i needed too

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay I know what I have here in my hand. I am only doing this review because this is the first beer that I tried as a lad and I remember it being something I used to enjoy. Then the transformation happened I moved up to regular Bud and then from there to imports and then again to craft. This beer will always have good memories attached to it even if it does suck, That being said that if I had to pick an american macro now it would be PBR. I also found a bottle of Miller Lite that I am going to review side by side with this one. So Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Piss yellow with a starch white head that fades into a slick. very minimal spotty lacing.

Smell- I was never the type to smell my beer before I became a BA so I never smelled Bud-Light before. It has this slightly skunky sickly sweet character to it. I can't make out any hop aroma here. It is also pretty grainy but nothing else stands out.

Taste- There isn't much to speak of here. It has a kind of grainy of biscuity taste with a slight malt taste. Nothing that stands out but nothing offensive either. It is clean and I guess refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Watery and carbonated that is about all I can say.

Drikability- I have been known to take down a twelve pack of these pretty easily. That is the only redeaming quality here well that and they are pretty cheap. They don't fill you up so you can keep on pounding them. Which my beer pounding days are over any way.

Overall- It makes me a little nastalgic sometimes about the time I spent with this beer but it isn't anything special. I can't believe I actually used to like this stuff. I mean it isn't the absolute most horrendouse beer I have had but if I had to order the macro lights it would be probably on top of Busch Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. I know it is hard to compare beers that are almost identical but there are a few subtle things I like about this one compared to the other clones.

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

A: The pour is even lighter than I recall. Clear with an ever so slight yellow tint and lots of CO2 bubbles. The head disappears almost instantly.

S: It smells pretty much like what you would expect: nothing. A slight grainy sweetness, but no skunk or hops or anything else, really.

T: Like the nose, there really isn't much to this beer. There' some sweetness provided by the grains, but otherwise it's very watery and bland.

M: Normally I don't mind the mouthfeel of light and adjunct lagers because they're quite bubbly and I enjoy that part of them. This, however is just so thin and doesn't have that same level of effervescence.

D: It is "drinkable" because it's so water-like, but I really have no desire to drink more of this beer. It's just so bland and flavorless; I would rather take another light lager over this.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Light yellow color. Crystal clear. Zero head.

S: Smell of slight grain, but nothing really there.

T: Watery pilsner taste devoid of any hop flavor.

D: Yes you can drink 50 of these in a single sitting... you still won't be drunk but you can.

Listen, it is what it is. Some people don't drink for flavor, they drink the easiest thing they can. The only redeeming factor to this beer is the fact that you can drink 400 if it's the only thing around. I get into this situation in remote areas and you just have to get through it. Better than water... maybe...

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

I considered not even reviewing this beer but I was drinking it the other night and I thought I might as well. There's not much I can say about it. It has almost no flavor, certainly no aroma but what was most surprising was the fact that I drank five of them and didn't feel a thing.

4.4/5  rDev +137.8%

I love bud light talk about a light beer with an exceptional drinkability this is you beer. It pours to a nice yellow darker that bud ice it has a good smell not over powering of anything just right. The taste to me is better than good it is not super light like most light beers. The mouth feel works just right. The drinkablility is perfect I mean not as much abv% but its drinkability makes up for it I mean you can slam one in no time. To me it is all around the best light beer I have had to this date!

1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

Pale yellow with a fizzly little head that fades quickly.

Basically no aroma to speak of, maybe some mildly grainy malt.

Light graininess can also be found in the taste watered down by rice adjunct. Hops are nowhere to be found.

So, I've finally reviewed all three of the "big 3" lite beers. My final verdict is... ML>CL>BL.

Note: > = only very slightly better than.

And in a blind taste I probably could not differentiate between the three.

2.35/5  rDev +27%

A: Very translucent amber with a light white head

S: There isn't much aroma to speak of. The smell that does exist is grainy.

T: Extremely light flavor. Slightly sweet grain flavor but extremely watered down

M: Crisp, carbonated, and as light as water.

D: If you can drink one you can drink 24.

Overall, it's Bud Light!

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

This beer is very drinkable. Bud light obviously sells itself, being one of the biggest selling if not the top selling beer in the United States. Not the best beer, tastes cheap, but does the job. Only good served chilled, or ice cold. This beer does have it's place in the world of beer, it's one of those quick handy beers to have around. A novice beer drinker loves this beer because it is very generic.

i really have nothing good to say about this beer except if you can order something else, go ahead and get it what ever it is, cause nothing can be as bad as what they put in this beer. please be a resonable person and get something that is tasty and goes down smooth.

1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

The fact that American beer drinkers are so conditioned to drink this shit is probably the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

This was the most horrible thing I have ever put into my mouth.

Pisslike color and aroma, I dumped the rest out in the toilet where piss belongs.

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

Not one of my favorite beers, but I will drink it if I absolutely have to. There isn't much to say about Bud Light. It is what it is: a very light beer, with little taste and flavor. If you're just at a regular bar with a poor beer selection, take Coors Light over Bud Light.

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a very light yellow with no head or lacing.

Smells of yeast water.

Very light yeasty corn tasting carbonated water. No malt or hops to speak of.

Medium to high carbonation with limited drinkability due to the odd yeast/grain flavor.

I will give bud light credit in that it is not totally devoid of taste. The problem is the taste that bud light has is very foul (yeast water). I'll reach for a watery Coors light or Miller light before this swill.

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Looks like the urine when someone is trying to flush their system with water. Smell, there really is no smell, so I guess its not as big of a drawback as the other characteristics.

Taste, if you like the taste of almost nothing, this is your beer. Seriously, I think this beer is ok if you're eating some spicy food on a hot day. That's the only purpose it serves. No mouthfeel, but drinkability is high, relatively speaking, because hey, they made this beer for mass consumption. If a beer drinker wants 2 beers, they should have about 9 of these to equal the legitimate ingredients and effort put into 2 craft brews. Avoid, unless you need to cleanse your palate.

2.78/5  rDev +50.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Very yellow with a minimal white touch of head.

S: Not much aroma, just sort of grainy. Hops?

T: Dry and "clean" meaning not much taste to describe.

M: Very thin with significant carbonation

D: I've had hundreds of these in the past. Since I am originally from St. Louis, this is "the" beer I grew up with. Pale lagers are not my beer of choice any more but how can you forget your first love?

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

poured from a 12oz bottle into pint glass.

the beer actually poured with a 2 finger head, but it did disappear as quickly as it arose.

for lack of a better description, the color is simply urine.

slightly grainy smell, but fairly bland

its taste is not bold, but trying to be nice one could say it is crisp.

the beer is fairly light and watery.

i am not a snob so i can rate this beer fairly favorable on the drinkability IF there is nothing else to drink and it is free.

1.55/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Drank from a seidel poured from a can.

Appearance: Like phosphorescent piss. Not much head. Yuck

Smell: Like grain. But nothing much else.

Taste: Like disgusting skunky grain. Pretty shitty.

Mouthfeel: Not very good either. Its okay but not great

Drinkability: Great for binge drinking but not much else. Its like beer/grain flavoured water.

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

Honestly, I should just refer you to my Miller Lite review. I did a side, by side, and other maybe some tiny differences in appearance, they are essentially identical. They both taste like adjunct water, with hops as an afterthought. They drink fairly easy physically because they are thin, however, since they don't taste super, I would rather not finish large quantities.

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, not really able to detect anything. Taste appears to be awol as well. Hard to describe, basically flavorless. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability ain't bad, much like water. Overall there is not much to recomnend about this beer.

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Well. Might as well go back to where it all started. Bud Light was the first beer that I drank until I got drunk. I'm honestly not looking forward to this...

It pours a light golden color with a quarter inch of head that dissipates quickly. Almost no lacing.

Almost no smell. I was expecting...SOMETHING, but got absolutely nothing. I just got a second and third opinion and I got the same thing from them. Nothing. Water has more smell.

The taste is watery and unpleasant. I cant quite put my finger on what it is that I don't like...I just don't like it.

The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and watery. Just no good.

I can give it a good rating for drinkability though. It's a beer that you can drink all day and not get (any more) tired of it. I don't know. ll around, I'm not going to drink this beer unless I'm drinking to forget. And hopefully I'll forget how awful this beer is.

1.98/5  rDev +7%

On-tap at the Texas Stars game (minor league hockey)...hard to beat $2 drafts, even if it is just Bud Light.

Pours a painfully clear, straw-golden hue with a good deal of carbonation percolating upwards. You know, for all the flack Bud Light gets, it doesn't look ALL that bad. Heck, there's even some decent head retention to the creamy, spittle-colored quarter-inch of foam that rests up top. The smell is uninspiring, with a creamed corn-esque DMS note backed by a hint of barley husks and mineral water.

As for the taste, well it's not a "1.0-Awful" for me, but it's damn close. Cooked corn and a slight vegetal note with the usual tinge of skunkiness that most Budweiser products are famous for...crisp, drying mineral finish. Uber-light body with a good carbonation level--like water, but with the tiniest microcosm of beer qualities thrown in (read: carbonation). Yep, this is a light lager, but you can't deny that drinkability (*stifled chortle*)...still, as the counterpart to a minor league hockey game, or any other sporting event for that matter, it does an okay job.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch