2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 3,898 | Reviews: 1,258 | Show All Ratings:
DogFood11

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I've had this many times...many many times growing up and haven't had in a long time so I stopped by the local watering hole out of boredom to write a review of piss beers....now granted I stayed open minded in order to give advocates a fair review.

Served in a pounder glass to wich I asked them not to give me the frosted glass so I could actually taste whatever the beer had to offer. Tiny fizzy head that fades to nothing...I have found that light beers in general have no retention or frothiness. pale yellow hence the word piss refering to this beer throughout.

Smell and taste are exactly the same...Nothing...slight slight hint of grain/wheat.

I was surprised to find out this beer is a 4.2%abv....I give this beer slightly above 1's just because in my book to get a 1 that beer needs to taste like puke,turd,actuall piss or in the ball park...and lets be honest its a bad beer but its not offensive....I can drink this crap all day and hardly get a buzz. Glad I dont deal with this anymore unless forced by circumstance.

08-05-2005 02:50:58 | More by DogFood11
gotbeer

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

Three words. Fizzy. Yellow. Piss.

I'm sorry, but that is the best description I can give this beer. Just plain tasteless and bad. Stay away if you care about your taste buds.

I can't understand how this sells well. It is unfortunate that many people have been conditioned to think that this is the 'king of beers'. People simply don't know what they are missing drinking this alcohol water. Any calories you save by drinking this are marginal, and you lose the ability to enjoy any taste.

08-04-2005 00:41:38 | More by gotbeer
yelterdow

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

I've been waiting for this moment my whole life.

Out of a can into a pilsner glass, just to be fair.

Appearance- Pale yellow beer-water, with no structure to speak of. Thin head dissipates fast with no cling, how boring.

Smell- Awful. Cooked veggies, cereal, rice, blech.

Taste- Metal, then adjuncts. This is so terrible, I can't even believe it. Back in the day I would drink these, usually from a bottle, ice cold down the shore or at a party, where the beer would shoot down the gullet without exploring the tongue. Drinking this from a pilsner glass forces a full gustatory experience, and it is a train wreck.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Fizzy water, just bad. We need to wake the world up to better beer, because life is too short to drink this crap.

07-30-2005 16:28:08 | More by yelterdow
PBRstreetgang

2.9/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A clear, very pale yellow. Dense 3 finger head that retains very well, leaving little to no lacing. the smell and taste are predictably very water with a faint adjunct presence. Low alcohol, low carbonation , and lack of taste make a very drinkable, but boring beer. Refreshing and light, but so is water.

07-25-2005 05:34:09 | More by PBRstreetgang
KoG

Nevada

1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Tastes no different than the bottled version, free as well.

Still super yellow with a fizz that dies off, smells like cereal in water, and tastes like nothing.

Dries out the mouth more than in the bottle and also had almost no carbonation. If I ever had to have this again I would rather not drink anything at all or bring a glass with me to the restroom. Not good at all.

07-19-2005 01:50:44 | More by KoG
AlexJ

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I was forced to drink a can a Bud Light when I lost a bet to my fiancee. I didn't really want to dirty my profile by reviewing it. But fuck it, a review is a review.

Pale, make that piss yellow, clear as water, with a minute white head that instantly falls in to a very thin ring. Lace, ha ha.

I figured a frosted pint glass was the way to go, VERY cold. It rendered the beer utterly oderless. No nose, nothing.

The flavor is beer like with light corn and grain notes. More of a beer flavored club soda with some alcohol in it.

Body is razor thin, watery, and soda like. I think it would be better with some sugar and lemon juice in it. Beerinade.

07-07-2005 22:17:45 | More by AlexJ
beersarang

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a light straw with a foamy head that is gone in seconds. Leaves behind nothing but fizzy liquid.

Smells a bit like hop oils, corn, rice and grain.

Thin malt, cooked veggie and rice play for a bit, then a flash of hop bitterness hits, a touch grassy. Finishes dry and aftertaste soon dissapears.

Water bodied. A lot of people drink this, and they drink it fast and cold. There is a reason for that.

07-05-2005 21:06:50 | More by beersarang
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

Like stale ice water, flat club soda, too cold, nothing. Room temperature water is preferred. Slightly yellow, no head, a bit malts, Dry, metallic, can get one to swear off beer.This is one of America's most popular selling beers, what an embarrasment.

06-16-2005 04:31:37 | More by Sammy
TPSReports

Alabama

2.73/5  rDev +47.6%

Shockingly, this beer on tap is very similiar to the bottle. I standard for light beer on tap in my local market. When served cold, it's nice. Don't let it get warm.

It was served in a frosty cold mug. I don't think that the condensation hurt this beer. I will order this beer again on occasion, when Belgians are not availble, which is quite often as Alabama has the silly 6% max ABV law.

06-05-2005 14:36:06 | More by TPSReports
Litterbean

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

This beer looks like watered down lemonade. This is basically clear. It looks like seltzer with some pee. Blink and you'll miss the head.

Smells like next to nothing. A faint graininess plus some skanky hops. Yuck.

This tastes like seltzer. Very thin corn syrup sweetness but that is all.

Just a terrible beer. Nothing to note. Nothing at all. Blasphemy, is all I have to say.

05-24-2005 04:49:18 | More by Litterbean
Higravity

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I have had this many a time but during a boring wedding reception I had time to taste and do a review.

Apperance: Yellow food coloring added to water, little white head no lacing at all.

Smell: Almost no smell at all, just a slight smell I associate with concetrated urine.

Taste: Water mixed with poorly distilled vodka some. Yuck

Mouthfeel: Water

Drinkabability: My stomach was threatening a rebellion so I left this nasty beer on the table.

05-23-2005 14:22:22 | More by Higravity
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

bud light sucks, it tastes like water with a touch of old man ass seasoning. i have friends that drink this beer as if it was made of gold. i do not get it, the flavor is terrible, the smell is the best part about it and that isn't very good either as it tends to smell like a dirty glass. i put on-tap, however in my time obviously i've had this beer every way it can be served. i think the best this beer gets is in a beer funnel, that way you can't taste it and its gone before you realized it was a bud light, 2 thumbs down on this one!

05-23-2005 01:03:18 | More by beeroclock
jasonpeckins32

2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Bud Light is a decent beer to drink if you like average everyday domestic beers. If your looking for something tasty and special, you'd be barking up the wrong tree with this one. But if your looking for to slam back a bunch of beers on a hot summer day, Bud Light is not a bad choice at all. It does the trick, just in a boring, watery kind of way.

04-09-2005 20:34:34 | More by jasonpeckins32
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 341ml can, Brewed in Canada by Labatt.

Appearance: Very clear yellow. Not much head.

Smell: A light mix of cooked rice, fruits and veggies.

Taste: Light beer, light taste. Not much flavor. Bud light tastes like watered down Bud!

Mouthfeel: Almost water.

Drinkability: It is ok if you want to drink a bottle or two without getting loaded fast . Otherwise, if I want to drink beer, I will buy a real beer.

03-29-2005 19:59:47 | More by Barraclou
deaconblues

Wisconsin

1.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I had a Bud Light today for the first time in some time and it was a very displeasing experience. I was cooking a batch of chili and wanted something to go along with my meal and this was the only thing in the fridge.

My first thought was that I was drinking water with an aftertaste of some slightly spoiled and mysterious vegetable.

This beer has almost no scent. I almost want to come up with some clever description for the lack of aroma, but it's just not worth it.

Mouthfeel is nothing to speak of, comparable to tap water I suppose.

As for drinkability...well, 20 million frat boys can't be wrong! It certainly goes down easy, as do most of it's kind. It serves no real purpose other than to get you drunk easily and quickly.

I stopped after one and never bothered trying to pair one with my chili. There seemed to be no point.

03-28-2005 01:30:52 | More by deaconblues
stegmakk

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Well after not drinking this in years, I was forced to have some recently. I'd rather drink water filtered through my jockstrap.

Appearance - LIGHT pale yellow. Almost like watered down urine. Light white head.

Aroma - Not much aroma to this beer at all.

Taste - Water with a hint of Pilsner. It would be like taking about 1 ounce of pils and adding 7 ounces of water. Didn't really taste like beer.

Mouthfeel - See water reference above

Drinkability - None. Even if this is free, I will never drink it again as there are no redeeming qualities to this beverage.

03-23-2005 21:41:54 | More by stegmakk
Luigi

Pours a pale yellow color! Fizzy head at first, then nothing after that! Smells like old cooked rice and way to much of fake carbonation.The body is very thin. No hop flavor, just a little bit of grain and rice. There is nothing to it but a cheap buzz!

03-02-2005 08:07:54 | More by Luigi
Billolick

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

12 ounce can sampled. Comes with "born on dating "on the bottom of the can...Pours dull yellow and clear, medium bubble white head. The question I have is, how can so many people drink so much of this swill?? This is very lame brew, maybe I'd drink it again, but only only on a VERY hot day.

02-25-2005 18:02:09 | More by Billolick
karst

Missouri

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

When you have two 500 hp inboards pushing you 75 mph across a lake you don't pour and check the head. Popped in a "Goin South" CD and turned the 2200 amp sound system up to a loud enough level to drown out the 4 4" exhausts and held the can below the wind shield so that it would not vent from the rush of air comming across the 40' cigarette boats long bow.
The beers week aroma and clear lemon pils color are lost here. Its 12 oz of liquid absorbs the icy coldness thru the aluminum can and the Cold and Carbonation are a vehicle for the alcoholic flavored water to rewet my drying mouth. This is what this beer was made for.. . high speed consumption.

Its a fine clear 70° mid Feb. day and we are the only boat on the slick water. We ease into a slip tie up and order a microbrew from the bartender in the Toad Cove restaurant and the Chef quickly prepairs our Gruper Sandwitches. After my microbrew the rest of the bullets stayed on ice until the sun sat on the lake and the boat was back in the Hanger 50 miles from the lake.

Does this describe drinkability?

a 1 rating "awful" really translates here as less than needed to be observable or not present which pretty much describes smell and mouthfeel. Taste is just less than not impressed. I was a 30 can silver bullet boater until I started homebrewing and expanding my style range around November last year. I still have 15 or 20 of my last 30 pack that I use to rinse out my glass ware and give to my neighbor who supplies my untreated deep well water for my homebrews.

02-17-2005 03:01:41 | More by karst
Vancer

2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Heck, for a all day Mardi Gras in St. Louis, it's not that bad. Not much taste, but is drinkable for the duration.Must have been a million cans of this stuff drank on Saturday. If someone gives me one of these, I'll certainly drink it. I try not to actually buy it too often, there are much more flavorable ones on the market.

02-07-2005 13:34:12 | More by Vancer
edchicma

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Saw this in the fridge and decided to drink down. Appearance was very light yellow with minimal head...carbonation very evident. Smell was like corn, but very faint. Taste was almost non-existent, but there was a light corn syrupy feel. Mouthfeel is light and dry. Drinkability is ok, but so is water.

01-28-2005 02:40:37 | More by edchicma
NEhophead

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can.

Fizzy white head with little retention. Extremely light straw in color; very dull. Plenty of noticeable carbonation. Little to no lacing with no strength.

Wheat, corn, rice; slightly skunky. Faint aromatics.

Metallic; astringent wheat, corn, and rice flavors. Faint bitterness; skunky. A big corn aftertaste that's very unpleasant.

Light bodied; very thin and watery yet slightly coarse on the palate due to the wheat and grain presence.

A typical light lager that is an insult to the word 'beer'. This is more closely related to water IMO. Just a waste of my time.

01-16-2005 23:23:14 | More by NEhophead
aquatonex

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Uh, it's Bud Light. At least I tried it on tap. I did successfully avoid this beer for a very long time. But, I guess I decided to try it. No head, lightly piss colored. Some carbonation. Tastes like seltzer that you cracked open 4 years after the expiration date. Mouthfeel? Yeah, if you think water has mouthfeel. It's the lightest of light beers I've had, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

01-15-2005 01:04:03 | More by aquatonex
bceaglejoe

2.88/5  rDev +55.7%

This beer poured with nearly no head at all, an almost-clear yellow. It wasn't the most attractive of presentations. Even the look of it made it seem watered-down.

A quick whiff suggested hints of corn and rice. There was no "richness" to the scent at all.

Despite what most say about this beer, it really does taste rather average. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's very light-bodied, with almost no hop bitterness. It is very watery, and it doesn't feel bad on the tongue.

I can see why this beer is so popular - it's easy to drink. Make sure this one is *cold* because it gets harsher as it warms up.

There wasn't really anything special about this beer. It would be a step up for big party hosts to purchase this rather than some of the other stuff they buy.

01-12-2005 22:13:25 | More by bceaglejoe
zacharius

Washington

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Served at a party I went to, I went home right after one of these. I should have went home instead of having that one beer. If you hate your friends, serve this.

Poured into a plastic cup, it was so pale and pathetic I could hardly tell it was beer. This pale yellow ghost had a fizzy white head quickly died down to nothing. Took a whiff and smelled stronly of sulfur with a hint of adjunct grains, I've had farts smell better than this brew. Taste was almost nonexistant but still was like the smell there was sulfur and adjunt grains. If you could drink a fart I think it would taste alot like this beer. This beer was too fizzy and overcarbonated, just one made me bloated. Mouthfeel was thin like water but sharp like seltzer water. Are there hops in this beer? Perhaps they added a hop cone or two to the whole kettle but I couldn't detect any hops. Beer is not very drinkable but I was able to finish one, it just wasn't pleasant.

12-22-2004 22:57:58 | More by zacharius