Microbrew Invitational

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,401 | Ratings: 5,642
1.8/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle left in our refrigerator after a party.

Appearance: Pours crystal clear and pale into a pint glass. Thin white head leaves barely a trace of lacing.

Smell: Not much to smell, but I could pick up corn and grain.

Taste: Rice and corn husks, with the tiniest bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery in the mouth with a very dry finish.

Drinkability: Could drink this all day, but there are much better choices.

3.6/5  rDev +87.5%

It's 90 + degrees outside, having a Bud Light in a frosty mug to go with my roasted egplant and peppers sandwich!

poured from a12 oz. can into a frosty cold mug-

Looks a light yellow color, almost like ginger ale,white one finger head, no real lacing.

Smells like beer!

Taste....crisp, clean & refreshing on such a hot day. Tastes what you'd expect a light beer from one of the big companies. No suprises, but no dissapointments.

Mouthfeel is light and watery, a bunch of fizzyness from the carbonation.

Overall it's a good light beer! it's great with your lunch, or on a hot day as you're working around the yard. A good cookout beer as well!

Think I'll have another!

3.87/5  rDev +101.6%

A. Straw pale yellow. Pretty good amount of carbonation. Thin head

S. corny aroma, slight malt and hoppy

T. Sweet floral flavor

M. Seemed a bit watery. Enough flavor to call it beer but, mostly went down like water

D. Its a light beer. I like it when i party. Goes down fast an easy

Final Thoughts: Pretty much yellow water with alcohol. Haha some added flavors as well. Very drinkable

1.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a tumbler for chugging due to loss of Tiger Wood 2010 hole.

A- looks as though my dog has wet my cup, and is unshameful about it, because I can't get a confession out of him. Carbonation implies that he may have drank some of my tonic water before urinating in my glass. Will do later tests to confirm this.

S- Like a skunk, after I ran over it, minus the marijuana appeal. Carbonation in my nose feels like I just bumped seltzer water.

T- Chewing a penny, with some kind of club soda like appeal that makes you reminisce about the time you lost that bet that you could hold your breath for a whole minute and had to chew on a penny with club soda because your friends thought it would be funny.

M - see above.

Comments: I have had this beer many times--none of which were by choice. If I could, I would sue the owner of this company for sexual harrassment. As the can is consumed, the taste gradually reaches the threshold of fecal matter-y taste, mixed with the delicious hints of rusted iron gates that just makes you unbelievably happy that you risked physical harm in order to try this delicacy of a 'beer'.

1.83/5  rDev -4.7%

A: translucent and heavily carbonated. Yep, it's a light AAL.

S: almost non-existent. Slight hints of corn and grain.

T: corn and grain dominate the palate, but it's not the worst beer around.

M: heavily carbonated and almost water-like.

This beer epitomizes the power of marketing. There is nothing special about this beer in any way, shape, or form. Bland, corny, and watery sum up its characteristics. There are other light lagers that are superior and cheaper.

this beer kind of burns my esophagus due to all the carbonation and lack of flavor. if i'm at a party and its free i might drink it but i would not pay for it. i can go without drinking if this were my only choice. this beer is not even good for beer pong, i would rather use busch light but definitely never natty light (both brewed by budweiser) so if your gonna buy any budweiser beer buy busch light, if its almost frozen its delicious (to a degree)

unfortunately this was my first beer and i almost swore away all of beers goodness because if all beer tasted like this, i couldn't handle it. i would probably be thinner and have more money, but i wouldn't be happy :-P

1.37/5  rDev -28.6%

I'm glad this beer is getting the popularity it deserves on BA. Think about why it's being drunk. Advertising, advertising, accessibility. The only reason people drink light American lagers is because it's all they know. "Awwww..brahhh..bud light over miller light anny day." Sound familiar? It's not you right?

Pours crystal clear, and tastes crystal light. By no means is it easy to control a living organism like yeast to do exactly what you want, every single time. For this they get points on appearance.

I'm trying to be objective and rate beer based off of the style, not personal bias. But alas! I can't.

1.82/5  rDev -5.2%

This was my beer of choice before I stumbled across good beers. Now drinking it again, I wonder how I managed to be happy with it before. This beer is really bland even when compared to other beers in its style. It is ok if there is not much choice, and you really want to get drunk, but if you want to enjoy a beer, pass this one by.

1.2/5  rDev -37.5%

On tap at the BC's dive bar Mary Ann's for $1 drafts.

Bud light is pale yellow, looks almost like club soda with yellow food coloring and a decent white head, very little retention. It smells brutal with raw cereal grains. Bud light tastes like beer flavored water, totally unappealing but fairly drinkable. It's no wonder that so many college kids pick up 30's of this, it goes down easy and isnt filling at all. All and all 1 word comes to mind, Swill.

PAX

1.96/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

This is maybe the most maligned beer around these parts, with good reason. While I can enjoy a Bud, Bud Light is just tasteless. Pours with little head that quickly dissipates, and leaves little to no lacing. Smell is inoffensive and mostly grainy, little else to it. Taste? Well there isn't much but its very watery grain, I couldn't get much hops at all, and there aren't very strong flavors of any type that I can find. There is no reason to drink this save for two situations. 1. you don't like beer but want a buzz. 2. Its very hot or you are engaging in strenuous activity and you want to chug down a light beer that is a least slightly better than drinking water. Very slightly. I can't see any reason to not drink regular Budweiser over this, except that has some decent beer flavor and maybe you hate that.

1.28/5  rDev -33.3%

Light yellow in color. Smells cheap and without flavor. Taste is terrible. This beer is clearly just a vehicle for alcohol and nothing more. After taste is funky. If you can get past the taste to drink more than one than I guess is drinkable but for most who know what a good beer should be this won't be drinkable. This beer destroys my stomach and the results weren't pretty on the few occasions I have had to drink it as it was my only option.

2.73/5  rDev +42.2%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear, light head that disappears very quickly, good carbonation.
Smell: Very faint. Can detect some barley and hops, maybe rice.
Taste: Very weak and watery. Can barely detect an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light and watery, carbonation is medium frothy.
Drinkability: Exceptionally high.
Summary: This is a horrible beer. I gave it a 5.9/10, or an F. As far as beer goes, this one's not a good choice. If you're in need of light beer, then I would say it's okay. It's cheap, highly drinkable (because it's basically like drinking water), and can get you drunk if you drink enough of it. In my younger days this was the standard beer of choice for parties (Due to cheapness, availability, and drinkability). This beer loses a lot of points for taste and satisfaction, but gains a few for drinkability. So if you're goal is to get really drunk or supply several guests with beer and save money, then by all means go for this beer. If your goal is to enjoy a great beer, look elsewhere. I wouldn't drink this beer again unless the only other available options were the rest of the commercial light beers.

1.61/5  rDev -16.1%

Other than college beer pong tourneys, this stuff is barely fit for human consumption (along with Coors Light and Bud Light). It's interesting that you can get some of the top non-pastuerized beers on Earth for only slightly additional cost. I don't think this even qualifies as real beer.
Appearance: Light yellow
Smell: Rotten Indian food
Taste: Watery with slight hops
Mouthfeel: Watery
Overall: Terrible, leaves you feeling bloated and sick.

1.03/5  rDev -46.4%

I have had bud light many times throughout college and have never cared for this beer. I gave it one more shot the other night and poured it into a frosted mug.

A- It looks like spring water with a little yellow food coloring in it.

S- It really has a foul smell to it.

T-It leaves one of the worst aftertastes in your mouth after you drink it making you not want another drink.

M- Very waterlike and makes you want to burp after a couple.

D- I would rather not drink then to drink more than one of these. The commercials scream drinkability, I scream gross when i drink it.

Dont waste your money on this.

3.51/5  rDev +82.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought the bud light was very good. The appearance was a light yellow coloring. The smell was of wheat and a little malt to it. THe taste was very crisp and refreshing and I enjoyed it a lot. Best out of the bottle but the can was alright too. The aroma was not that good and was a little bland.

1.75/5  rDev -8.9%

This swill is just above Natty Light. And I mean JUST. Only because I don't feel like I just drank old well water after it goes down. Don't understand how it's so popular. Would never buy.

2.08/5  rDev +8.3%

If you're looking for a beer that's super "bongable", buy Bud Light. The taste and appearance are light and acidic. I don't recommend this unless you're looking to reminisce from your college days.

1.5/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The other day, I got stuck at a party at the neighbors', with a cooler full of this and Smirnoff Ice as the only refreshment.
(I guess I coulda -- shoulda -- stole one of the juice boxes from the kiddies instead.)
I vowed that if I was going to have to chug down a Bud Light, I would at least give myself the pleasure of reviewing it.
So here goes:

A -- Didn't pour it out of the bottle. Will bet my house and both testicles it was a pale straw color.

S - Faint, mild corn and not much else.

T - Very little of this either. Sour, with mild corn overtones and, oddly, a hint of saltiness. A stranger to hops.

M/D - Carbonated to -- nay, past -- the point of unpleasantness. In my opinion, between the sourness and the fizziness, Bud has created a true American original -- a 4.2% beer with low drinkability appeal.

It is true that I began to drink this beer with low expectations. But this beer genuinely fell even short of what I'd expected. I'll switch to MD 20/20 before I stock this stuff in my house.

2.29/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a creamy white 2 finger head, which diminishes quickly to a thin ring around the top. Clear, pale straw body, not much lacing. Smell is not unpleasant, light grain. Although I've been drinking this for years, I never really examined the taste: there's not much there. Mouthfeel is very light, watery. Good thirst quencher that goes down easily, but as I said, not much taste.

2.06/5  rDev +7.3%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, "born on date" on the label for "freshness". I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours yellow but very pale... almost water-like. It's almost completely transparent with a 1/4" head.

Smell: Almost a grainy smell, but you really need to try hard to find it.

Taste: Light... very light. You can slightly taste the grain which presents itself and then backs away. Very dry finish and almost no hoppiness present at all. I will say that Bud does a great job of consistency for such a light beer. Nothing impressive to taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too impressive. Most of the action is due to the carbonation dissolved within.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but not very fun. I got bored after number 2. I really want something with substance.

Notes: I'd pass on this.

2.45/5  rDev +27.6%

A- Pours a very, very clear, very, very pale yellow color with a one finger white head that dissipates almost immediately.

S- smells like your very common beers

T- Very watery. Thankfully there's not a whole lot to the taste, otherwise it would be unbearable. Watered down Budweiser.

M- Very thin and watery.

D- Better than regular Bud. At least I can tolerate Bud Light. I drink this beer to get wasted there's no other good purpose for it.

2.55/5  rDev +32.8%

Don't need to say much about this one since everyone has had it since their teenage years. Does it have a great taste? Not really. Does it have a great appearance or mouthfeel? Nope. Can you drink a lot of it? Yes you can and sometimes that's what you need but lets just move on.

2.3/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Take this beer for what it is. Not what you wish it was.

This is going to be basically the same as my review for Miller Lite because they are basically the exact same.

Appearance is similar to the pee you have when you are dehydrated. It makes the world yellow if you try and look through it.

Smells kind of sweet and dry. I think it smells like fresh sweat or three day old opened sake.

Taste is thin with some bitterness. Like watered down pinot grigio. It is very refreshing in a way that only fishermen can appreciate.

Mouthfeel is watery and crisper than Miller Lite.

It is what it is: An easy drinking light adjunct. I do love the Bud Bowl.

1.43/5  rDev -25.5%

I hear people say that bud-light is a good beer for young people who haven't developed their palate. I say its a decent beer for people that don't like beer. I usually try to avoid "light beer" but in my experience, bud light is the worst of the bunch. The colour is pale yellow, clear and processed. The excessive filtering have stripped the beer of most of its taste and smell leaving something that tastes like club soda with slight beer undertones. Although I can't say that i would want another one, this beer is very easy to drink, especially when cold allowing high school students to boast, "Hey man I pounded back a two four".
Cheers

1.5/5  rDev -21.9%

appearance: looks like urine no head exept when you first pour it

smell: smell is light not really a strong smell

taste: the taste... there's not really any taste to it which is what you come to expect from light beer

mouthfeel: not really a good mouth feel

drinkaility: if i want to drink water i'll drink water but i'll stick to the real deal beer

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch