Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,368 | Hads: 5,440

Rating: 0.0
First had: ?

The light version of an already light and terrible beer. The lesser son of the King of Beers, Bud Light retains all the qualities of its forebearer: light straw color, fizzy, watery, and soda-like, with almost no semblance to beer whatsoever. Taste is metallic and of stale urea. Mouthfell is watery and a stale, rotten aftertaste is left behind. To be avoided at all costs.

2.25/5  rDev +17.2%

I had the coach on my son's soccer team give this to me for helping out (no good deed goes unpunished?) So why not review prior to foisting the rest off on my guests at the next bbq I host?

Pours light golden, with very good effervescence & a 3 fingers+ white head that quickly dissapeared with zero lacing

Smell: slight cornyness & fruittiness

Taste: Corny & slight fruitiness. Finishes crisp & dry but thin

MF: Thin& spritzy

Drinks okay, all things considered. I consider this the best of the worst as far as macroswill goes. Still does the job after cutting the lawn

2.13/5  rDev +10.9%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

2.49/5  rDev +29.7%

Review #2000! I reviewed this over a year ago but recently noticed that for some reason that was never explained to me that the review got deleted, so figured I'd review it again. Poured from a 12 oz. can into my Portsmouth 20th Anniversary pilsner glass because why the hell not. BA suggests a pilsner glass so let's go with that.

a - Pours a bright, pale straw yellow color that is very transparent, one finger of fluffy white head that only lasts a few seconds, and high carbonation evident. No lacing left on the glass and no head retention at all. Looks like most light BMC beers.

s - Smells of corn, grains, wheat, and light sweet pale malts. Not much going on at all, but not skunky light some other light lagers.

t - Tastes of corn, lightly sweet, grains, bread, and wheat. Again, not offensive but nothing going on. Not skunky at all.

m - Light body and low to moderate carbonation. Light, watery mouthfeel.

o - Overall this is not a good beer, but it is a lot better than any Miller product, and is very easy to drink. It is not as watery and tasteless as Coors Light either; I think it's the best of the BMC light lagers, though that isn't saying much. Obviously nothing to seek out but I've had much worse and much more offensive craft beers, that I would rate below this. Most people will give it a bad grade due to it being a light lager produced by a BMC company, but it isn't offensive or skunky at all. Most of the beers on the "Bottom of the List" list are worse than this one; while it might deserve to be on the list, it should be much lower than #5.

1.03/5  rDev -46.4%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest.

1.59/5  rDev -17.2%

Served via can into a pint glass.

A - Pours pale yellow with a one finger tall white head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells like flavored water. Little to no hops, malt, barley, ect. to speak of.

T - Very light body. Very similar to the nose with little to no hops or malt at all. The only detectable hops seem to be the faint bitterness that is only noticeable thanks to the prickly carbonation. Finish is really nothing at all. Easily one of the worst beers out there.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Crisp feel with not much of anything lingering in the finish.

D - Sure I could pound a few of these but why would I want to? If I wanted to drink water I would.

1.98/5  rDev +3.1%

7 oz. bottle - Born on date of May 6, 2006.
Poured light pale straw colored with a very thin white head.
Hardly any smell - There was a whiff of something - but nothing I could put my finger on (adjuncts - but slight).
The taste was very watery. It was not too offensive because of lack of anything.
Nothing is left in the mouth but the feeling of water and some fairly non-offensive adjuncts.
This is as drinkable as tap water. It's not as offensive as some other light beers I've tried, but it lacks any real beer flavor or character. This is another failed attempt at making a light beer that tastes like beer. I've had low-alcohol beer that tastes more like beer.

1.96/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow with heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a very thin bright white head that dissipates almost instantly. No lacing is observed.

S: There are light aromas of corn adjunct malts but overall there is almost no smell to this beer.

T: Very light flavors of corn adjunct malts and a slight sweetness but there is not really much of a taste to this beer. There is also something moderately metallic in the flavor and something chemically in nature - maybe formaldehyde.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: This beer is quite sessionable but not very enjoyable in my opinion - it is very watery and does not have a lot going for it in the smell or taste.

2.31/5  rDev +20.3%

Bad beer Thursday 2011, week 1. Every week for the year of 2011, on Thursday nights, I will give a "bad beer" a fair rating and review. This week, Bud Light. "Smooth and refreshing light beer" - I'll be the judge of that.

Beer poured from a 12 ounce blue can into a stange glass (I thought this the most appropriate). I poured the beer hard and was surprised by the amount of head I got on it, seriously huge. Beer is clear and light yellow with moderate and steady carbonation and a huge white head of medium bubbles that slowly falls away leaving some lacing on the sides of the cylindrical glass. Beer is completely clear, I can literally read through the glass. Looks like beer.

Aroma is sweet and almost soapy. It has this odd late aroma that is pretty off putting but it does not have that terrible boiled corn aroma some of these beers get.

Beer is served ice cold, as per instructions, and as a result, all the flavors are on the back half of the palate. The front 1/2 to 2/3 of the palate are completely blank. It is literally water until the grain bitterness at the back, and I use bitterness loosely here. There is a slight aftertaste but for the most part it is like drinking water.

I picked Bud Light for the inaugural week of Bad Beer Thursdays 2011 because I could not honestly say that I had actually had this beer. I hate Budweiser (the company) as much as the next guy, their market presence dilutes the craft market but as far as a beer goes, this is about as plain and bland as it gets. There's really nothing wrong with it, no off flavors, just a nothing watery beer.

1.85/5  rDev -3.6%

Review from notes.

A: Clear light yellow/straw color. Fizzy white foam head forms upon pouring, but is gone pretty quickly. No lacing.

S: Slight metallic aroma. Boring grainy malt and no discernible hop presence.

T: Tasted like I was drinking slightly flavored water. Slight sweetness from the malt, but nothing going on really.

M: Extremely light bodied with very little mouthfeel. Others in the style at least have a slight bubbly texture from the carbonation.

O: Not good, don't plan on buying one ever.

1.68/5  rDev -12.5%

Someone left this at my place, so I figured I'd review it.

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of fizzy white head That fades down pretty fast. No lace. Color is a clear light straw yellow.

Aroma: Very grainy with corn. Light dull hops. Yep, that's about it.

Taste: very bland. big grain flavor with lame hops. Corn on the side. Not something I am enjoying at all.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp. An extremely light body with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a grainy dry aftertaste.

Overall, not something I enjoy drinking. I will throw a pickle in this one to give it a little more flavor. This beer is not my type of thing. I won't drink this one unless someone offers me one.

1.66/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a golden, bubbly color with soapy head that doesn't last. Smells like nothing, absolutely nothing. Taste is corn and candy; very sweet and nothing to add actual flavor. Mouthfeel is bubbly but smooth

Overall, way too sweet and way too carbonated. This just isn't good.

2.35/5  rDev +22.4%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a slight yellow hue. It has a frothy white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is almost non-existant. This beer is full of adjuncts and little malts. There is a small amount of bitter skunkiness to the aroma. The taste is almost non-existant. I feel like the dudes in the Miller Lite commercials who are pissed they can't taste their beer. It is very watered down and devoid of any flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is what the health freaks are drinking these days. I pitty them. I'll keep my beer gut and continue enjoying good beer, however many carbs it contains.

2.73/5  rDev +42.2%

02/07/09- Had at a relatives house.

Presentation- 12oz can, didn't check for freshness info, but I'm sure there is a born on date or something. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale golden color with effervescent bubbles, a one fingered head on pour which quickly fades. Leaves no real lace markings.

Smell- Normal macro nose of light corn, grain and some malt.

Taste- Not really a heck of a lot of corn, which is good. Some heavy grain notes, actually fairly fresh tasting. Hops, nope, but overall not as horrid as most macro light beers.

Mouthfeel- Super crisp with a mid range carbonation level.

Drinkability- Do I loose my beer geek status if I say that this actually tasted good at the time I drank it? Was damn thirtsy and wasn't going to get to the beer store until the next day. Hit the spot to be perfectly honest. I guess it's true what they say...there is always a time and a place for every beer.

2.16/5  rDev +12.5%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of grain notes, as well as a hint of grass from the hops. The flavor is more of the same. Grain and biscuit malt dominate, with some grass and the slightest hint of bitterness. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a good beer, but nothing offensive. It basically just smells and tastes like nothing.

1.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Under most circumstances, can kick or no can kick, I would be embarrassed to have this in my refrigerator. In this case, however, they had released 75th Anniversary bottle-cans for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I bought two, one each for me and one for my teetotaling buddy.

It poured with an initially big, foamy, bone-white head, but it experienced low retention. The color was a really light lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It struck me as too light and too clear to hold out much hope. The nose had an unusually sweet quality that I could not put my finger on. Still, it was going to be much too sweet for my liking. The mouthfeel was light, airy, I felt like I was drinking liquid cotton. There was very little flavor on the tongue. It was so watery and tasteless that in a blind taste test with bottled water, I doubt that I could tell them apart. This is what I had been drinking in the navy when I was MUCH younger?!? Swill! The finish had a light sweetness, but it just seemed like it had been completely stripped of anything that might even be loosely construed as taste. I'll keep the bottle-can and pass the other to my buddy, but I would not recommend this mess to my worst enemy.

2.28/5  rDev +18.8%

Yup, I grabbed one from your fridge there during poker night when you weren't looking, somehow I think you wouldn't have mind. When was the last time I had one of these?!? Yikes ages, and since I am on the Light lager... off we go. Why not throw this sucker into a shaker pint, sure why not!

A very foamy and very white head is made off the pour and falls rather normally. Body color is a text book straw yellow and hay. However, this glass is swarming with cola carbonation, it is stuck on the sides everywhere. It rises fast. It looks like a swarm of bees are in my glass. Crystal clear.

Nose, pure and total corn. Very sweet smelling. Really not pleasant, truly light, nose seems to disappear after awhile leaving next to no aroma later on.

Taste overall a bit better than the nose but not by much. sugary malt sweet, light bodied. Feel is slightly syrupy but surprisingly with a faint tight carbonated fizz quality that leaves a real sense of metallic aftertaste (no it's not because it's in a can).

Overall it is what it is.

1.48/5  rDev -22.9%

12 ounce can sampled. Comes with "born on dating "on the bottom of the can...Pours dull yellow and clear, medium bubble white head. The question I have is, how can so many people drink so much of this swill?? This is very lame brew, maybe I'd drink it again, but only only on a VERY hot day.

2.03/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: pours a crystal clear pale yellow color with a 1/2" head that falls apart quickly. No lacing develops.

Smell: slight corn and grass aroma that is really not too pleasant.

Taste: very weak malt profile with some grass, corn, hint of a green grape tartness, and little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is clean.

Drinkability: the pure lack of any flavor make this hard to drink. Go find a Sam Adams Light if you want some flavor in the style.

2.38/5  rDev +24%

12oz can poured into nothing as I drank this str8 from the source. Did not check for a bottle date

A- Looking into the can i see the apparent stray hay like yellow color which is so clear that i can see the bottom of the can. Some slight fizz and white bubbles come and go as i shake the can some.

S- Smells like extremely faded hops plus corn and a very minimal malt presence. A bit of a grassy floral scent that is not to pleasing. Nothing much to smell at basically.

T- Like carbonated water with some mild alcohol bite in the end. The same floral smell is noted in the taste while any hops or malt need to be focused on to be picked up on. A bunch of corn and rice is interweaved with some weak yeast. A typical American light lager, nothing special.

M- Feels like carbonated water as well. I can nearly chug this like it was h20 straight out of the bottle. Bud Light has a very thin body and light carbonation. A bit of unpleasant bitterness comes with excessive chugging. To me Bud light out of a can is much more refreshing than other service types.

D- The low ABV make this very sessionable but the flavor makes it undesirable. I could go through quite a number of cans at once but i would not be able to look at myself in the mirror afterwards. With that said this beer has a place in the market and serves it's purpose to supply the masses with something quick and easy.

1.73/5  rDev -9.9%

I bought a 12 oz can of this tonight just for reviewing. This marks the only time in my life where I bought a Bud Light for myself, and after tonight, I'll have more justification to why I don't. Poured into a chilled glass, on to the beer:

At first, a decent apearance is formed; very pale blonde with an average head with decent retention. There's a noteable smell of grains, but not much else. Speaking of grains, that's the only taste I can get of out of this beer too. Okay, to be fair, this tastes like fizzy water at first, and ends in corn, odd considering I don't think they use corn in the recipe. Thin feeling with a brush of carbonation.

If it's offered, I'll drink it, but it's not something I would purchase for myself again.

2.25/5  rDev +17.2%

Well, this was all my friend had (what type of friend is he?), so I'll review it. No pour, just out of the bottle, but I have seen it before. Pale, straw, almost clear, right?
Smelled of a lager, but weak. Malts and grains, alcohol.
Taste was of a semi-sweetness malt, some hints of rye and little anything else.
Not good mouthfeel, but not horrible. Easy drinking if you drink for the not-taste of it.
Party beer for the kiddos.

2.51/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a medium golden color with a smallish white head that dissipates rather quickly but never disappears. Smells of light sweet bready malt with a touch of apple and honey and maybe some floral hops. The flavor is sweet grainy with pomme fruits and a hint of bread and hops. Light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a sweet watery mouthfeel. Well it could work on a hot summer day, but there is so little flavor in here it's hard for me to want to.

2.56/5  rDev +33.3%

Found old (Jan 2007) tasting notes that I never got around to entering.

Looking at Bud Light as pure beer, as an art removed from the social implications of drinking, it is both uninspiring and disappointing. To begin with, there isn't much to look at. It sits flatly in a glass like a urine sample. The aroma is weak with only hints of fresh barley. The flavor is a touch sour and grainy with a slight sweetness and faint bitterness. An easily ignorable but unpleasant and unnatural tasting flavor lingers after each cold gulch.

All in all, when it comes to the flavor department, Bud Light is severely lacking. What is so impressive about Bud Light, however, is the beer craftsmanship of Anheuser-Busch. In the world of brewing, a finely-tuned light lager is the most difficult product to create. Errors or flavor imperfections are readily evident, with nothing to mask the flavor. Then consider the flavor consistency for the millions of barrels of Bud Light, and you have one of the best-made beers in the world.

2.66/5  rDev +38.5%

On-tap at Michael's Bar and Grill in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a very pale yellow, with good, soapy, white head initially, but disintegrates quickly to nothing, and doesn't reappear on subsequent pours.

S: Very bad, very off-putting, smells of stale corn and skunk.

T: Although the smell is bad, the taste is not horrible. Tastes mainly of corn, a true corn lager, with a hint of malt and hops.

M: Very light, highly carbonated, though I sense a fuller body than most light lagers.

D: Not a bad beer for a light lager, definitely better than Miller Lite, but not something I would buy regularly, for my light beers I enjoy a nice German-style Helles or Pilsner.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch