Busch NA - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Fully brewed with finest natural ingredients, including a blend of premium American hops, fine barley malt, cereal grains, and pure water. After full fermentation and maturation, the alcohol is gently removed to preserve the quality of the beer.

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-23-2003)
2.78/5  rDev +30.5%

12 oz can into my 32 oz mug

a: a good looking NA brew, pale straw color, and a side pour created a 1/2' head that stuck around for 30 seconds or so with some thin lacing

s: smells like all of the other macros - adjunct... nothing else of note on the nose

t: sweetness, some light maltiness, corny adjunct flavor

m: light and watery with alot of carbonation

o: Due to dietary restrictions, I cannot currently drink alcohol. I had only ever heard of O'Douls, which is not a horrible beverage, but didn't know there were other NA options out there. I hate Busch beer and always have, but this Busch NA is the CLOSEST to a "party beer" flavor that I've found.

I love the fact that it's canned and I can put it in my coozie and my buddies don't know that I'm drinking an NA, but I can drive them home if I need to.

By no means is this a great, hell even a good beer. But if you can't drink or if you are the designated driver and want that beer "feel", this is as close as it gets.

drakkath, Aug 17, 2012

fastrodney, Jul 07, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -29.6%

chrispoint, Jun 06, 2012
2.53/5  rDev +18.8%

This na was responsible for helping me get through a 90 day "NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED" period with a prescription I had to take. I tried Old Milwaukee NA and even St. Paulie and drifted back to Busch on price and taste. Overall I found this "brew" not all that bad and may even try to mix a few in when I go back to the real stuff. In the meantime "Countdown to Liquor Day"!

fizzy, Jan 28, 2012

Ortbalsj22486, Jan 07, 2012
2.88/5  rDev +35.2%

I sampled this wide mouth 12oz can from a tulip pint chilled.

A very clear golden straw with a full 1 inch of snowy white cap which retains well. The bead is fine and carbonation is visible, some lace clings. The smell is grainy with some cereal qualities, not really sweet smelling though. The scent has a light mineral quality. The feel is gassy/highly carbonated with very clean light body with slightly dry finish.

The taste is not bad and I honestly don't expect a lot of it for this style so it has what most NA beers deliver: a light malt taste which has a subtle sweet tinge like corn pops or rice crispies perhaps with a dry essence and slight yeast element which gives a mild mineral note until the semi dry finish. Overall I really was trying to base this on the style which is made to have a low flavor but it was not unpleasant for what it is and has a palate scubbing quality that would make this good as a lawnmower beer. I wouldn't buy this unless it was for the reason I got this: a beer to drink while on high strength pain meds. It is similar to the original busch taste-wise without the alcohol buzz.

Slatetank, Sep 04, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -4.7%

a: pours a light golden color with about an eigth inch of white head that disappears quickly leaving not even a trace of lace

s: sweet corn malts no balance

t: sweet corn malts no balance

m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, i would pass on again

happygnome, Dec 06, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a thin straw yellow color with a thick white head and mountains upon mountains of carbonation and no lacing. Smells of corn and nothing else. Not much to the taste -- a little sweet a little canned creamed corn and some salt. Mouthfeel is really thin and drinkability is poor.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 28, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +11.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance - My first NA beer review.. beer taken from my pregnant wife. It pours a pale straw colour with lots of carbonation showing. There was actually a massive white foamy head on the beer. Even some faint lacing, very surprising.

Smell - barley, grains/breads, clean and crisp

Taste & Mouth - Lots of carbonation on the tongue, very light tasting. A nice clean and crisp refreshing flavour, lots of breads/grains and light corn syrup sweetness. It finishes with a very light pale malt aftertaste.

Drink - This reminded me of a (even more) watered down glass of coors light. Not a bad option if you're not allowed to have alcohol for whatever reason.

spinrsx, Oct 08, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +71.4%

Just doing the CAN-CAN this afternoon as part of the CANQuest. CAN you dig it?

This really looked appealing after the pour! It had a nice, foamy finger of bone-white head that acted like it was interested in hanging around. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a cereal sweetness to it, along with a slight metallic tang. Not great, but at least I was not literally gagging every time I held it near my nose, unlike Miller Sharp's NA. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a decent lager-like taste on the tongue. Finish was slightly sweet, very lager-like, definitely the best so far this afternoon. Frankly, I bought a sixer on Wednesday at the local Giant supermarket and drank one at room temperature while waiting for the bus on a hot, humid afternoon and I liked it just fine then. I liked it a lot more now, chilled down. I could find space in the cooler if I knew someone wanted an NA beer.

woodychandler, May 29, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours from can into pint glass, very light in color, almost looks like apple juice in appearance. Small, white head that disappears almost immediately. Bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Uninspiring, to say the least.
Smells like a typical adjunct lager, as there isn't much to be pulled out, maybe rice or corniness. The scent is very similar to regular Busch beer. Unimpressive in the category, as well.
Taste is better than the smell, which still is not saying much for this beer. Has a malty, sweet taste. Corn and rice flavors linger on the palate once swallowed.
Feels slightly carbonated, tingly on the tongue. Very light mouthfeel, reminiscent of drinking a glass of spring water. Rates average in this category.
Drinkability on this is awful. I usually have no problem with finishing any beer, but I have to force myself to consume this one. I have had my share of regular Busch, so I know what it is like to drink more than one of these, and it is not a good time. Minus the alcohol content, this beer should only be sought out if you are a true lightweight, or if you just really love the taste of bland, generic, fizzy yellow beer.

BabyBastard, Jan 15, 2010
2.93/5  rDev +37.6%

Thanks, I think, to my wife's grandpa for leaving a sixer of this in my beer fridge about a year ago. Poured from a 12 ounce can into my Mayor McCheese tumbler. Appears a crystal clear pale yellow color with a surprisingly tall inch or so of fluffy bone white head. What head was there quickly faded within a few seconds. Smells and tastes of liquid hand soap, canned corn, grass, a bit of toasted cereal grains, some sweet malt. Body is quite light with decent carbonation.

ClockworkOrange, Oct 13, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +26.8%

This is my first review and I thought I'd do something completely unserious for it. Some guy left these in my room mate's truck a few weeks back and they are just sitting in my fridge. Anyhoo, here we go...

Pours a straw yellow with a thin ring of foam head once the bubbles dissipate. Smells like corn and rice with a tad bit of soapyness or something, possibly 409 or some kind of kitchen or tile cleaner. Definitely smells domestic if you know what I mean. Taking my first sip and it basically tastes like Busch but a tad bit sweeter and no alcohol on the tougne. It tastes like if someone squeezed rain water out of some cornstalk or something then mixed it with watered down household cleaners. After the first sip the smell of the beer is completely gone.

There is still that little bit of tingle once you swallow or wash it around in your mouth but for the most part there is no mouthfeel to it, it just feels like water which is what I expected.

Drinkability is high since this is basically corn flavored water. You can drink your weight in this and not be buzzed since it's NA.

All in all, I'd drink this again if it were free and I was really, really bored and there was no other beer around.

auroracrisis, Jul 28, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +47.9%

I drink this beer when at home cause I am not allowed to drink where I live*still drink when not here thou hehe*I love the taste of beer so I will drink the n/a when nothing else is allowed.
I find OM na better then this & cheaper but they ran out of OM so I bought this.
Not bad,I always liked busch.
kind of plain with a grainy mouthfeel.Drinkability is decent.I would buy again if OM is out.

SLOBGOBLIN, May 13, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +23.5%

Quite possibly the last NA beer I will ever review.

Pours a mild golden color with a one-finger head into my glass.

Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Still has that Busch aroma to it though.

Taste is sweet, grainy and has even a small amount of hop bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel is full of the same lingering flavors. Tastes like Busch without the alcohol.

Not bad for what it is. Oh yes, except that it's a non-alcoholic beer that isn't going to impress anyone.

Brad007, Apr 23, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +61%

Presentation: 12oz can...looks like a Busch can, but with "NA" on it

Appearance: Dark yellow, pale gold, nice fluffy head from a hard pour, actually sticks around for a bit.

Smell: It smells like a macro-lager from the US...there's the slightest hint of malt at the beginning, followed up by massive corn/cereal grains and sweet sugar tones

Taste: Light graininess with ghostly metallic notes and just a whisper of hops; it's Light Macro Lager all the way...but it's an NA beer...

Mouthfeel: Very light

Drinkability: It's Lent; I can't drink real beer, and it just turned warm outside this weekend; ice cold, this is refreshing and delicious

Conclusion: It's an NA beer; that being said, and that stigma being implied, it's very possibly the most "beery" NA beer out there, which is odd, considering it's from AB. If put up next to several American Light Lagers, I might have trouble picking out this NA beer...that being said, it is what it is, and for what it is, it's way above average.

BedetheVenerable, Mar 29, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A pale yellow color with a thick quickly diminishing fizzy white head Aroma is a light sweet malt ,dry and grainy malt with a bit of corn, but not sickly sweet. Flavor is lightly sweet with a bit of skunk or maybe it is hops, who knows. Watery light body with lots of carbonation, no lacing,finish and aftertaste are a little barn-yardish.No beer buzz.

WakeandBake, Feb 28, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -22.5%

MASSIVE thanks to my boy biegaman for being generous enough to give me this sought after can, I know he went to great lengths to acquire some.

Pours a clear amber/yellow, some gold highlights, thin white bubbly head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring, no lacing. Smell is very light, sweet malt, some corn, honey, doesn't really smell any worse than other macros. Taste is.... nothing? Kind of like carbonated water with a touch of corn, light fruitiness, thats it. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high fizzy carbonation. Lost me at the flavour, otherwise pretty standard stuff. Thanks Jan!

Viggo, Aug 15, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -15.5%

Curse that BeerTracker for giving me a sixer of this when all I needed was one can for a friend! The damn things have been sitting there for over a month and I've become curious. Blasted!

A pristinely clear beer. Bubbles wondering about. A light straw yellow colour. An ideal creamy, half-finger level of bleach white head that looks ... a little 'too' perfect. In fact, the whole beer looks, well, ideal. A little 'too' ideal ... I'm suspicious, but impressed, but suspicious... I don't trust it.

Mmmmm, malty corn. If you've ever not rinsed out your cans and left them by the sink, or in the garage, and found them weeks later... or perhaps you've had a barbecue, and people leave half drank bottles in the sun...

I'm forced to use these comparisons because the smell is, honestly, kinda hard to describe. All these beers I've tried I have yet to develop a nose for chemicals... it's bad, nay, it's terrible. That said, this is no different from the stink, the staleness, the adjuncts, and the repulsion of other macros...

The mouthfeel flirts dangerously close to water if not for a stale, bready taste. The beer is quite heavy on the palate, making it fairly refreshing.

Like the bitterness, flavour is practically non-existent less maybe some stale corn and chemical-like adjuncts. There is an odd, strong metallic aftertaste. It leaves the palate to feel polluted and sullied.

I didn't want to drink this to begin with, but I can assure you any optimism was severed by the stench of the aroma. An appropriate stench that warns of the vile horrors to come! Ok... it's not 'that' bad but I refuse to put any more of this in my body.

If anything, the non-alcoholic aspect helps its case. Surprisingly, this never became outright offensive. It can easily pass for a drinkable beer, especially to those who don't normally drink. In fact, I'd prefer this to Bud Llight, or Coors Light. Still, Busch like most all mass produced macro lagers are abominations to beer. This is no exception.

biegaman, Jun 05, 2008
2.25/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Pours a lightly effervescent, crystal clear, golden-hued body with a small, white head.

Smell: Sourish, corn-hinted grain nose with some light floral notes.

Taste: Thin-tasting blend of boiled corn cobs and grains with a mild, fleeting sweetness. Hint of flowers. No apparent bitterness. Water, water, water on the finish -- gotta replace the flavor and alcohol with *something*, right?

Mouthfeel: Remarkably thin in body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly non-offensive, bland, and watery.

ChainGangGuy, May 11, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours an extremely light yellow color with a very small thin head, almost no lacing. Below average carbonation with a slight smell of sweet hops. Tastes like colored water not much taste or body at all. Water is the dominant flavor. Drink and piss. Again, water is the dominant flavor.

ATLbeerDog, May 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +85.4%

This beer looks rather pale with a washed-out gold color that is stained brown. It's as if the brown and gold are competing for their presence. The lively bubbles help this one look a little more attractive, but they don't even make a head when they get to the surface. Funny, it looks nice sitting on the wood computer desk, but when held to the light and the white walls, it looks quite sad.

Smells lively and fruity with a base of green grapes and bread dough with a zesty nip of hops that remind me of lemon zest and CO2. Smells better than more macro lagers.

Holy s**t, it tastes like Busch, but arguably better. It has the universal macro corny grain base with a touch more fruitiness than normal suggesting red apples and strawberry with an ambiguous dry pucker that is presumably some sort of hop.

Feels light and clean, but dense enough to know it isn't water. The carbonation is lively and playful.

This is way better than Busch regular. If given a choice between the two, I'd take this one.

DarkerTheBetter, May 09, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance - The first thing that really stands out with this non-alcoholic brew is the head. It actually has a really solid, foamy, pure white head. It fades relatively quickly and leaves a thin white cloud on the surface. The body itself is a brass colored yellow but not very crisp.

Smell - The scent bring pasta with tomato sauce to mind. Not very becoming of a beer.

Taste - After the smell I found it difficult to even take a taste. However, the taste isn't quite as bad at the scent. Its simple and plain and kind of tastes like Kix cereal.

Mouthfeel - The feel is cold and moderate. There is no real unique texture here but compared to other big box alcoholic brews I'd say it's just below average.

~ Hopefully I will never have to have another one of these "beers" ever again. That includes finishing this one. Down the drain you go.

cdkrenz, Mar 06, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -46.9%

A - Medium yellow hue is actually darker than I thought it would be. A very, very short lived head rises an falls like Rome ...in a Sim City game on speed...and crack.

S - Stale old beer stain notes. Smells a bit like the inside of the Budweiser factory in St. Louis.

T - Again, stale old yeast. Old popcorn, grainy, tastes like very old and warm macro lager.

M - Thin with a ridiculously super-carbonated aggressive raspy soda pop carbonation. This like....hurts my throat.

D - There are much better N/A beers out there...like, all of them. Avoid this. Drink a Diet Coke if you're the DD.

pmcadamis, Dec 03, 2007

Pours straw yellow with a fairly thick head that fizzles away - not bad for a macro NA, but still could use better head retention.

It smells like a typical macro - some soft grain and a touch of corn. Largely inoffensive - not bad for a NA.

The taste is of soft grain and light corn. Inoffensive and clean. Better than some macros I've had, and not bad for a NA.

Watery feel and fizzy. What did you expect? But, something "beer-like" actually holds on and the aftertaste is not bad.

Sadly, there are a few regular macros I would probably choose this over. This isn't much of a beer, but isn't bad for the style (and price). There are worse out there.

jwc215, Sep 23, 2007