Busch Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Light Alström Bros
Overlord

1.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I remember this beer!

It was shunned, as for the same horrible-ness per ounce quotient, you could obtain more alcohol from the "ice" version. Still, we always seemed to have a few cases.

Watery, yellow liquid that was overly carbonated. Little to no flavor, which, looking back on it, may have been a good thing.

God, I can't believe I drank this stuff.

04-17-2008 08:41:32 | More by Overlord
anthonyd643

3.53/5  rDev +95%

A great college beer, but that is about it. Great on hot days or when you plan on drinking 15 of something. Quite inexpensive.

The beer has an unfortunate knack of picking up the scent of the can that it sits in. However, it does have a greater flavor than Bud light or Natural light, which are both relatives of the same brewery.

Best served as cold as possible, better if it has been sitting on ice rather than in a cool fridge.

If you are short on cash and want to pick up beer, this is not your worst choice

04-08-2008 23:53:17 | More by anthonyd643
ElGrecoVerde

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bad beer that somehow becomes more attractive as the wallet thins and you want some session brews.

It's your typical light American macro lager. It's grainy, it tastes like light corn, it's "fizzy", thin, but easy to drink and gives the desired results at the end of the day.

A staple in college, preferably in the form of a box with 30 cans in it.

03-18-2008 21:07:51 | More by ElGrecoVerde
bboven

1.45/5  rDev -19.9%

Some jackass left a case of this in my fridge after a party.

Very pale yellow body with no head.

Smells of cooked corn (DMS) and little else.

What flavor there is is stale corn. With a stale corn aftertaste.

Carbonation is about average for the style.

Just an awful, awful beer. Even within the light macro lager category there are much better examples of the style.

02-24-2008 19:47:10 | More by bboven
ommegoose

1.88/5  rDev +3.9%

Busch Light is water colored, with hints of yellow. I actually laughed when I poured it and saw the color. I could read a newspaper while looking through a glass of this. Excessive carbonation. Had a light head of about a half inch made up of massive bubbles. Receded within about 30 seconds to nothing - no trim, no lacing. On the bright side, there's no floaties or any abnormalities.

Smells quite bad. Goes a bit beyond the point where mere inoffensiveness would warrant a 2. Really hard to put a finger on the aspects of the smell. None of what I'm picking up is in a decent beer. Wax? Smells like an unscented candle. Some metallic skunky character as well. Best serve this as cold as possible to hide the smell, or maybe just drink straight from the can to avoid the appearance as well. Nothing here remotely suggests good flavor. On the bright side, the smell is a bit tame. What's there couldn't get much worse.

Taste is not the nadir of beer that some of the other characteristics are. Flavor is minimal enough to not be terribly bothersome. Claims on the can to be brewed from water, barley malt, select grains, hops and yeast. I certainly get some barley and "select grains" such as corn and rice, but I'd give you a million bucks if you can find a trace of hops here. The source of bitterness actually seems to be the aluminum can. As long as the beer stays moderately cold, and you don't try to explore the flavors much, it's tolerable. Basically the same grain base as many other macro lagers. Corn lends a little sweetness. It's pretty clean, and the finish is short.

Mouthfeel is about as thin as possible. Water, with moderate carbonation. The initial carbonation expired pretty quickly. This is more or less as good as the style gets. But Light lager is a crappy representation of what beer should be.

This beer is easy to drink due to its close approximation of water. Whether you will want to drink it is another question. It will get the job done for drinking games quite well, but if you are over the age of 24, this is not really a selling point. Might be a little refreshing on a very hot day. Maybe. In my estimation, this is not a beer that you would ever want to buy or drink unless you really have to. But it is basically the cheapest 30 pack of beer you can buy.

Busch Light also has some intangibles that I'm not sure how to work in here. It varies widely in quality. I've had many in these college years, and it ranges from putrid to tolerable. The can I'm reviewing was on the high end of that spectrum. Also, if you are using this beer to get intoxicated, you will have to drink a lot of them, and you'll be peeing every 15 minutes after a certain point. I guess that hurts drinkability.

02-24-2008 09:10:07 | More by ommegoose
hardy008

1.33/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance - Light yellow with a small foamy head. Some lacing remained in the glass.

Smell - Some hops and grain.

Taste - Clean. Some hops present and grain.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean.

Drinkability - Fairly easy to drink, but so is water. Not the worst I've had, but close enough.

02-17-2008 18:21:53 | More by hardy008
Redwood21

1.68/5  rDev -7.2%

Im not sure how else to spell out awful? I do not believe giving this a bad review would hurt many feelings as i doubt its goal was full flavor and overall goodness....it takes that all a step further

A: almost clear yellow and the head disappears like a sad magic trick, leaving a light apple juice like thing

S: when i first cracked it, it smelled like skunk, which seems implausible sense its in a can, but its the aroma i got

T: id say none? its like those flavored water...beer water!

M/D: it is smoothish and crisp but as for drinkable its not one id normally choose, i guess i figured i had reviewed a few too many good beers lately...i don't know....

02-15-2008 04:53:39 | More by Redwood21
orangemoustache

2.23/5  rDev +23.2%

A-GOLDEN YELLOW, SMALL WHITE FOAMY LOOKING HEAD,NO LACING

S-GRAINS,STALENESS,ZERO HOP PRESENCE

T-WHITE RICE,PEANUTS,A SLIGHT MALTY FLAVOR BUT NOTHING DISTINCT(very diluted tasting)

M-LIKE CARBONATED WATER(REALLY NOTHING ELSE)

D-AS DRINKABLE AS WATER BUT WITH A LITTLE KICK! I HAVE HAD BETTER 40oZ'S MALT LIQUORS.

02-09-2008 08:21:31 | More by orangemoustache
Gehrig

1.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine was moving and, despite being a fan of various good beer, he still insists upon saving a few bucks and drinking quantity over quality. I'm a blue-collar guy, so who am I to criticize? It's his money and taste buds. He offered me a cold one during a break from a couple hours of heavy lifting, and I sheepishly accepted, fearing the worst. Big mistake.

This pours a patchy head that scarcely merits being called a head. It's more akin to the kid in high school who grows patches of stubbly thatch masquerading as "a beard," yet thinks he's onto something and that the rest will fill in in good time. The smell is bad, like burnt popcorn hovering over corn sweetness. The taste is right down there with the worst I've ever had, a peculiar amalgam of burnt sugar, malt and water. Busch might have discovered something. Since it's "fire brewed," apparently it IS possible to burn water.

The mouthfeel is a train wreck of watery texture, plowing the final nail in the coffin of this "beer." I don't strive to trash beer, but this review is unavoidable, thankfully unlike the beer. Treat as the plague, and avoid.

02-08-2008 17:46:21 | More by Gehrig
SirSaranac

1.18/5  rDev -34.8%

I'll be completely honest... my Grandmother drinks this stuff and she swears that it's the "high quality" stuff... so I bought her a 30 pack for Christmas. However, I had to sneak away a can to do a review... I kinda wish that I didn't!

A- Am I pouring carbonated water??? There's a pure white head when poured that dissolves into absolutely nothing. There's a hint of yellow color, but this 'beer' is crystal clear and could be confused for carbonated water after a couple minutes. There's NO lacing. *shakes head

S- This is as thin of a malt scent that you could imagine. There's a sour cooked corn scent that lingers heavily. Hops is nowhere to be found.

T- I try hard to find an actually beer taste, but there isn't. The entire flavor is very shortlived, but it's mostly vegetables... barely noticeable malt. This is hard, it's kinda like trying to find subtle nuances and complexities in your puke.

M- LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT body... heavily carbonated.. sour on the tongue

D- I don't think I could drink this if I was completely smashed. I'm not trying to bash this beer or be funny, but in my honest opinion this liquid doesn't even deserve to be called beer.

01-30-2008 05:38:16 | More by SirSaranac
pirate252

Idaho

3.13/5  rDev +72.9%

Found this beer to be better than Keystone Light for those times when you just want a light beer, like when you have had a few to many strong brews, or when you just feel like your drinking to much money. Hey I am a college student, what can I say, I think its better than Keystone anyways.

Has an ok taste, still would rather have a bud normally, but when I reach for something cheap or just when I am really thirsty this one makes the list.

01-24-2008 09:46:57 | More by pirate252
botham

1.45/5  rDev -19.9%

pours a crystal clear straw color with a couple fingers of white head.

aroma is of lightly sweet pale malts with a stale grainy base. little else.

taste is the same as the aroma, with a touch of a cornlike character.

mouthfeel is watery.

drinkability is bad. this brew has little flavor, and what flavor it does have takes away from the watery character. not recommended.

01-17-2008 02:07:48 | More by botham
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.68/5  rDev -7.2%

Okay , I am on a state of perfound drinking tonight, as far as uber cheap beers go, I highly stay away from driniking these beers I have been drinking unless you are not concerned with taste, other wise I would recomend some of the Ambers, they do know how to do that some what.

12-31-2007 09:08:52 | More by skeetermoses
n0315

1.45/5  rDev -19.9%

pale yellow in color with not too much in the way of hops for a smell or taste. This is another beer that sits in your stomach and just, for me anyways, makes me want to vomit after a few. This beer as many others in its type gets undrinkable if its not just above freezing, so a coozie is a must if you're willing to drink this. little carbonation from what I can tell, and just all round a very poorly made beer.

12-29-2007 04:37:50 | More by n0315
dsa7783

1.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Copped a cheap six-pack of this when I was low on cash... A wrong move which resulted in severe heart-burn and a deep regret of having lost five bucks on a bland, oily macro light lager like this... appearance and smell were downright awful, with the latter being almost non-existent... Taste was equally poor, and the best thing that can be said about this brew was that it went down alright until the heart-burn kicked in... First and last time... Not recommended...

12-16-2007 20:29:43 | More by dsa7783
clayrock81

1.23/5  rDev -32%

OK - I have gone on record as saying Busch is the worst tasting beer ever, but my ratings for this are lower. Why? It's a cheaply produced American Macro Light beer - don't expect anything good. This beer is good for dirnkers looking to drink solely for drinking's sake - there is no discernible appearance, smell or drink that tips someone off that they are indeed drinking a beer. My experience in that department was that at most college keggers I went to Busch Light kegs were the popular choice. Incredibly cheap, girls who hated beer would drink it because it was so watery and no one cared if you spilt it. If you're looking for a good light beer in the American Macro section, avoid this one (avoid most of them).

11-20-2007 13:11:07 | More by clayrock81
StoutyMcHaggis

Oregon

2.4/5  rDev +32.6%

A-It's just about clear.

S-Smells of can and barley.

T-Tastes like carbonated water, but has more barley flavor than the other commercial light beers.

M-Very bubbley and crisp.

D-When I dont have a craft or homebrew, this is my cheap-o session beer, especially when BSing with my friends or in a social setting that is'nt my home

10-29-2007 22:20:11 | More by StoutyMcHaggis
GClarkage

2.58/5  rDev +42.5%

10/20/07- Consumed at a relatives house in South Dakota.

Presentation- 12oz can, may have been a born on date or something, but I really didn't look for one. Poured into a random glass.

Appearance- Light straw-golden color. 1/2 inch slightly foamy head at first, but quickly fades. Leaves some light markings behind.

Smell- Whiffs of light corn and grain, not much else. Really not much scent, but what is there is not replusive.

Taste- Pretty much replicates the nose. Light corn and grain notes, very minor hop taste. Really not much flavor, but it is crisp and fairly clean.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and medium carbonation level. Really not as watery as expected.

Drinkability- One of the better lite-macro beers out there. Probably about your best bet of the ones I've tried.

10-25-2007 02:36:34 | More by GClarkage
berserker256

2.15/5  rDev +18.8%

The entire 40-ouncer of Busch Light poured into my Spaten Oktoberfest mug. The best thing about this review is the fact that now I know my mug holds 40 ounces of beer. Fantastic. Well, it's light gold with a foamy dish soapy-like head. It smells like if somebody spilled beer onto a pile of dirt and hay. Rather earthy. It tastes like metallic corn. Not even a hint of hops or malted barley. Tastes like cheap macrobrewed beer. But in Busch Light's defense, that what it's supposed to be. Good college/volume-drinking/cheap beer. That's all.

10-12-2007 23:48:29 | More by berserker256
erosier

Connecticut

2.95/5  rDev +63%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice gold color but has a very white and thin head. The aroma is of a light malt aroma with little to no hops. This beer has a good amount of carbonation and is not very bitter. It does not taste of much anything except water and a light malt and a small amount of it. It is very drinkable if your plan is to drink alot of them.

10-08-2007 04:36:51 | More by erosier
Floydster

1.58/5  rDev -12.7%

40 ounce bottle from a liquor store in Yucaipa for about two dollars

Not even worth that much money, no substance to this beer

No smell and when it was poured it looked like water

Could not really taste anything, barely could tell it was beer other than carbonation

Could not even drink that much of light, no flavor even though it is light

Not recommended even though it super cheap

09-12-2007 06:40:58 | More by Floydster
Taipans

Missouri

2.03/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have never had Busch Light in my life until yesterday while watching football. I would of never bought this stuff as I can't stand light beer expecially anything from BMC. But I will try anything once so I thought I might aswell throw a review up.

Poured into a pint glass its appearance is pale straw yellow, white head, low retention with minimal lacing.

I can't pick much aroma out of it, doesn't suprise me.

It tastes pretty much as expected, light, watery, very carbonated. I might say this is a slight better then Bud Light, but they are very close on the flavor scale.

I was actually suprised this wasn't worse then it was. It has a pretty stereo typed image around my parts, and I don't have any idea why this is so put down by the Bud Light crowd?

09-10-2007 11:51:45 | More by Taipans
zerofear13

1.63/5  rDev -9.9%

I guess it's obvious by now that any beer that they sell in 30 packs probably aren't of the highest quality, but it's a cheap beer that does the job for a weekend party. Pours out a very light yellow color with heavy carbonation. Smells of bitter hops and offensive acidic tart. Taste follows suit. With many macro light lagers, it's usually watered down and bland, but this one is watered down and follows with a sour, unpleasant after taste. I highly doubt it was just this batch, as I've been through many and they all seem to have the same tart to it. Overall, definitely not the greatest light beer. Not even the best light beer by Anheuser-Busch. If you're looking to save money then this is the way to go, but even at that there are cheaper, better light beers.

08-21-2007 01:51:55 | More by zerofear13
twi1609372

2.48/5  rDev +37%

What to sya about this one. sad fact is there isnt a whole lot to say. The term been there done thta comes to mind but yeah. This is a generic light lager, astringent clean taste, light bodied, little malt. It's just like a cheaper slightly different bud light. the 4,2 is not bad for it;s class especially when it's parent busch regular is only like 4.6,

08-10-2007 22:00:30 | More by twi1609372
dmamiano

West Virginia

1.78/5  rDev -1.7%

Hadnt had one for a while and a friend happened over to the house and had a cooler.I should have opted for a homebrew, but what the heck? I did pour it in a glass though....
Looked very, very light with multitudes of bubbles and a soapy head that vanished almost immediately.
Smelled of slight skunk and really nothing else.
Taste was pretty bad, just carbonated water with a slight skuniness and beer flavor added.
Mouthfeel? Well, forget it. weak weak weak.
Not a good beer.