Microbrew Invitational

Busch LightBusch Light

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001

Reviews: 385 | Ratings: 1,516
2.05/5  rDev +5.7%

The old reliable college beer. As far as cheap domestic beers go, this is probably the best. It's better than Ice House, Keystone and the like. It has a clear yellow appearance with little to no head. Tastes metallic and watered down. Goes down without much resistance. Great for beer bongs, if you're in college and into that type of thing. If you're above the age of 25, you should not be drinking this beer.

1.9/5  rDev -2.1%

Very faint nose, can barely pick out some apple and a sour smell. Taste is also faintly apple with a bit of sour trashiness. If drunk cold enough and chugged fast enough, the sourness can pass for a weird sugary flavor until the soda water-like carbonation scrubs everything off.

Overall, this Light beer has actually got a bit of flavor to it. Unfortunately, the flavor isn't quite beer, as there is no real malt or hop character to be found.

Tricked into drinking this one. Poured into a beer bong.

A - Color of bright pee yellow underneath the neon blue tube of the bong itself. Surprising amount of head for a light beer.
S - Corn, lager yeast, painkillers, pure hate, no hops.
T - Well for a watery beverage it sure does go down acidic. I gagged a bit when it went down, didn't puke because I am a man. Still it doesn't have enough corn for me to really enjoy it so starchy water not great.
M - Light like water from my local river light and by that I mean full of chemicals, heavy mud and sediment, and kills all new life introduced to it.

Overall Dear GOD avoid if you can this beer has gained some interest in my brother but it's not a good step up from natural ice. Not one bit.

3.25/5  rDev +67.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is not a craft.. For a light beer, and price the taste is not bad. I like it. Crisp and light beer. You can get buzz half the price of miller light and coors light. This is a good beer on budget. Nothing offensive about it All lithe beer drinkers should try it would save you some money.

2.37/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12oz can bottled on 4/30/13. poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow color with a inch inch white head. Smell is corn...maybe. It's offputting. taste is pretty much water with a tad of hops thrown in. Not horrendous but definitely not enjoyable. Not so easy to drink, taste is too harsh to guzzle this one.

Overall this is a run of the mill light beer that is not remarkable in any way.

2.45/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance- The usual straw, corn yellow that you expect from this light lager style. 1 finger head, dissipates fast, very very light lacing.

Smell- Adjuncts, corn?

Taste- Adjunct taste but not very strong of it. Not sweet nor bitter

Mouth Feel- Carbonation, very thin and light.

Overall- Well its bland, but nothing off putting about it. It's almost like carbonated water. I really get almost no flavor from it. For just getting drunk it works well, at least I get drunk and don't have to cringe with each drink. This beer has a time and place.

2.61/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Busch Light is a classic, easy drinking, and low priced beer(<$18 a 30 pk in KY). Similar to other anheuser busch products in drinkability. I was amused by the "Ice Cold Easy Indicator" thermometer graphic on the can that changes color when cold. It does go down a bit harder than expected, just to be honest. Cheers!

1.03/5  rDev -46.9%

At the local bar at my college, you could buy 14 drafts of these for 3.50. Quarters night was great. Of course, it wasn't 16oz drafts, more like 6-8 oz, it did cost a quarter, but that was a serious amount of beer for a seriously low amount of money. Of course, it tasted good, right? It had to have tasted good, because me and my friends would have races to finish the entire tray of 14 beers.

Pale, clear yellow. Fizzy. Insipid looking.

Smells kinda musty/musky.

Tastes like dirty water. A sad puddle. I never really ever let this beer warm, because it's horrible when you do. You know a beer is great when the only palatable way to drink it is 14 in a minute.

It's light bodied, Captain Obvious. There's a lot of carbonation. It isn't drinkable.

Great memories.

2.89/5  rDev +49%

I was not very fond of Busch Light, but it is a cheap beer for any college student. The taste of the beer was average, while the smell was below average. Overall the average and below average characteristics of the beer made it a below average beer in my opinion. It is not one that I would buy.

2.15/5  rDev +10.8%

Upgraded to full review 2/22/16. Actually pours out a decent color, with a tinge that would tell you you're a touch dehydrated. Head disappears as quickly as it builds to the top of the pint glass, leaving only the faintest of traces that carbonation is a part of this mix. The smell is sweet, with only a slight hint of malt, but it's not off-putting. The taste, however, cannot lay claim to that. The sweetness is almost syrupy, like you're drinking a soda rather than a beer. There's a bit of skunk underneath it all, too. The taste is bizarrely heavy for a light lager, and the carbonation stings, like it wants to remind you it's there.

2.67/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A- Light golden, straw color. Medium head that retains ok but no lacing. Continuous carbonation rising the whole time.

S- Very light grassy notes and corn flavors. Nothing very distinct, and no malt, just corn, other grains, and some skunk flavors.

T- Just like the scent, light and inoffensive. Not a lot of flavor here, but light grains and lots of corn notes. Hint of a skunky bitterness towards the end.

M- Light, highly carbonated and watery. Easy to pound, and not filling at all.

Overall, not a bad beer for its purpose; getting you drunk. Light and inoffensive, yet still tastes like a beer, even if it's not necessarily a good beer.

I used to go to a now defunct pizza joint in Greenville, n.c., they had this on tap, warm for $1/pitcher. No flavor, no nothing. I am no aficionado, but this is the beer of college students and people who hate their kidneys. Avoid at all costs, please.

1.19/5  rDev -38.7%

A - Clear gold with a white forthy bubbly head. No lacing.

S - Slighty grainy, water

T - Follows the nose pretty much. Slight amounts of rice grains, with a watery finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium to heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, Just another cheap beer. This one was definitely bottom of the barrel.

2.66/5  rDev +37.1%

Cheap, beer. I'm guessing people who want to bring out the "end of the night" stuff will use this beer. It smells a bit like pee. There is a bit of bitterness, but it's bearable. A beerable beer this is for under a buck a shuck.
There is much better stuff out there though.

3.44/5  rDev +77.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pale clear gold with one half inch of bone white head. Some minor spots of lacing.
Smell is mild grains some earthy hops. Really don't smell the corn everyone refers to. This was a very fresh can. Less than a month from canning date. Taste is fizzy beer water but that is what most light beers remind me of. Light grain with just a kiss of herbal grassy hop bite at the back of the tongue. It has a crisp dry finish with bold carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and resembles soda water. An above average Summer swiller. If you are alright with the A-B family flavors give this a try. I think it is one of the better Light beers readily available. Great value too.

1.57/5  rDev -19.1%

In high school and college I'd guess that my friends and I kept the stock price of Anheuser Busch well into the black due to our near constant purchase of this swill. Having said that, as soon as I was able to secure gainful employment my brand loyalty disappeared almost overnight as I now I had the wallet to afford something that at the very least looked a little more sophisticated in my hand (Heineken, Amstel, etc.) Tonight though I happened upon a party where there were about 30 cases of this crap. Taste aside, drinking this was like stepping into a time machine... Not a DeLorean time machine though, more like a Geo Metro with a donut spare and no heater.

Upon my first sip I was instantly transported back to the mid to late 90's. Music was good again, fashion was hideous, women were loose and E still wasn't bad for you. My hair felt suddenly feathered and my white college baseball hat was considered business casual.

A: I poured a few out for the homies and noted a coloration similar to that of hangover pee. "Light" is certainly an accurate description here.

S: I guess I'd describe it as "flat", but to paint more of a picture with words I would say it smells like the floor of a fraternity house basement dance floor at 4 AM on a Sunday morning.

T: Urine. I'm not kidding either. My profession has allowed me the benefit of attending several wilderness and desert survival schools and I can only say that I am certainly speaking from experience.

M: Not really all that unpleasant I guess. It has the obvious injected C02 carbonation of a bottle of Zima, but thankfully downplays the horse piss taste while amplifying that nostalgic aroma of late night college booty calls.

O: I can muster a very inflated 2 simply for the memories this pisswasser brought back. If I was being totally objective though, (which is impossible if you think fondly of the good ol days) I'd say that a .5 would be generous. Simply put, there is a reason 16 to 23 year olds buy this stuff. It's cheap, it gets the job done and it somehow manages to maintain it's popularity with that demographic.

After 13 or 14 of these I had forgotten what beer really tasted like anyway. Then I got home and nearly spit out my first sip off a can of Furious that I had just cracked open. That's when I knew I had somehow been poisoned... I've lurked on BA for years but was now finally compelled to create an account and write a review simply for the travesty that this shit imposed on my palette. I can forgive I spose but I can never forget.

I'm glad this American beer is now Belgian.

1.27/5  rDev -34.5%

Two fingers of head in a tulip glass. Clear, golden colored body with a single line of bubbles.
Smell is one step above rotten. It's a damp grain in a metal container smell.
The taste is licking the metal container.
Fizzy and light texture.
Oh, this is pretty bad. Avoid.

2.85/5  rDev +46.9%

First off, I'm from St. Louis - so this beer has been around me and been consumed by my uncles, grandpas, etc.. my whole life. It's known around here as the beer that the 'South City Hoosiers' drink, if that means anything to you. South St. Louis - home of the fat wallet (think Costanza) and Busch Beer.

Anyway, this beer isn't as bad as some of the reviewers are saying on here. I think there are a lot of so-called beer snobs who now that they've had a few IPA's and Imperial Stouts are turning their noses up at what they grew up on drinking - cheap, light, session beers.

In my opinion, this and Busch aren't too shabby for that cheap beer that you can drink a lot of. Perfect for camping, float trips, pounding a bunch for watching games, doing yard work, etc. Is it a great beer, no, but it serves it's purpose.

Very clear, very light, not much head and no lace retention. This isn't that type of beer. No hoppy presence or malt backbone. Just a flat out light, crisp refreshing beer you can pound. It's better than any of the other cheaper beers by far - and i got a 30 pack for $15.

Grab you a coozie, ice up some Rocky tops and have a good day drinking beer with your buds.

1.8/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. A friend of mine brought a sixpack of this over to watch a game, and left one in my fridge. Always fun to tick off another brew from the Bottom 100, right?

A: Clear, pale, watery greenish-yellow body under a finger of fine white froth. Mediocre retention, very light lace. Boring.

S: Wow, light is right. This has practically no aroma at all - only some faint corn and a hint of fruitiness. Really weak, even for the style.

T: Light, chalky, corny, and thoroughly boring. Light graininess on the aftertaste. Unpleasant.

M: Watery at first, with some slow-building carbonation filling in behind. Meh.

O: Not the worst cheap beer out there, but certainly not the best. Boring to the max.

Cheers!

1.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Ahhh...Busch Light...cheap beer night at the house as i bought this tall boy with loose change in my pocket at the corner store on the way home.

A very non-descript light yellow pour...head that lasts about 2.7 seconds. Not much to look at.

Grainy goodness in the scent...grainy corn, maybe creamed corn...a bit sweet. Not much else.

Taste follows...about as light as water...with the adunct grain so typical of the big boy breweries. Not entirely offensive, but oh so dull and dreary. Quite carbonated...big fat bubbles rising from the bottom of my pint glass.

You get what you pay for folks...an extremely light beer more suitable for chugging after mowing the lawn...not much else. Still, for just above a buck, it's better than soda.

1.6/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured this 12 oz can into a pint glass. Poured a very light yellow color, produced a thin white head , retention was poor, and and left a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of corn, and nothing else. Light in body, this Light Lager is very clean, smooth, and thirst quenching. Probably would be a good Lawn Mower Beer. There is a slight trace of malted grain, some corn, very little hop flavor and it has somewhat of a dry finish. Overall, I guess it serves it purpose, a light mass produced lager that you don't have to think about. Poor marks for taste and everything else but mouthfeel. Save this one for the mother in-law. Prost.!

2.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Well.. compared to "real" beer.. this does not have much. On the other hand back in the high school days when you had no beer money this was great!

I look at it this way.. i find it stupid to spend money on bottled water.. this is the next best thing..

Serve COLD .. as close as you can possibly get it to freezing

is what it is.. cheap light beer. good alternative to plain water on a hot day!

1.31/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between this and Bud Light. I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between this and basically any other AAL. I'd be hard pressed to find any real differences between this and a bottle of Aquafina. When the dollar price of a beer is almost half the number of cans you're getting, something's not right.

A 30-pack of Busch Light is $15.99.
That is 53 cents per can.
That is about 4 cents per ounce.

Don't trust a beer that cheap. There's a reason that you're paying mere pennies each time you take a sip. I'm not the kind of dick who always goes to the store and buys Heinz ketchup or Glad garbage bags - I typically settle for the Walmart alternative (except when it comes to toilet paper, I always use Charmin). But this is a different story. Cheaper is not always better. It's just.... cheaper.

Busch Light is the beer that bitch slapped your liver for the first time back when you were a sophomore in high school trying to impress that blonde from math class who showed up to your friend's bonfire. "Toss me another one, bro!" The Boone's Farm of beer.

At least it comes in camouflage cans.

1.42/5  rDev -26.8%

Looks somewhat like beer. Light yellow and has a bit of head if it is poured. Smells like corn and pale malt with a hint of alcohol. Feels pretty smooth due to low carbonation, but the taste is not impressive.

It tastes like watered down paint thinner. The alcohol, remnants of corn, and unpleasant byproducts of yeast come through when the beer is both ice cold and slightly cold. It's not heavy at all, but the tastes that are present are pretty gross.

All around worse than Bud Light while aiming to be the same thing. Choose Coors Light or PBR over this if you want a cheap/light beer

1.1/5  rDev -43.3%

Had this at an anniversary party very far from home. The only options were this and Keystone light. Like a good beer advocate, I tried both. This was an extra tall 16oz can, but as the sun shone from above, I could clearly see to the bottom of the can as soon as I opened it. I knew I was in for an experience. This beer smelled as close to nothing as you can get. The taste was beneath thin, and it all but evaporated in your mouth. If you want to get drunk, but not in a hurry, then this beer is for you. Otherwise, steer clear. Not recommended

Busch Light from Anheuser-Busch