Busch Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 371 | Hads: 1,439
3.44/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pale clear gold with one half inch of bone white head. Some minor spots of lacing.
Smell is mild grains some earthy hops. Really don't smell the corn everyone refers to. This was a very fresh can. Less than a month from canning date. Taste is fizzy beer water but that is what most light beers remind me of. Light grain with just a kiss of herbal grassy hop bite at the back of the tongue. It has a crisp dry finish with bold carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and resembles soda water. An above average Summer swiller. If you are alright with the A-B family flavors give this a try. I think it is one of the better Light beers readily available. Great value too. (664 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -23%

In high school and college I'd guess that my friends and I kept the stock price of Anheuser Busch well into the black due to our near constant purchase of this swill. Having said that, as soon as I was able to secure gainful employment my brand loyalty disappeared almost overnight as I now I had the wallet to afford something that at the very least looked a little more sophisticated in my hand (Heineken, Amstel, etc.) Tonight though I happened upon a party where there were about 30 cases of this crap. Taste aside, drinking this was like stepping into a time machine... Not a DeLorean time machine though, more like a Geo Metro with a donut spare and no heater.

Upon my first sip I was instantly transported back to the mid to late 90's. Music was good again, fashion was hideous, women were loose and E still wasn't bad for you. My hair felt suddenly feathered and my white college baseball hat was considered business casual.

A: I poured a few out for the homies and noted a coloration similar to that of hangover pee. "Light" is certainly an accurate description here.

S: I guess I'd describe it as "flat", but to paint more of a picture with words I would say it smells like the floor of a fraternity house basement dance floor at 4 AM on a Sunday morning.

T: Urine. I'm not kidding either. My profession has allowed me the benefit of attending several wilderness and desert survival schools and I can only say that I am certainly speaking from experience.

M: Not really all that unpleasant I guess. It has the obvious injected C02 carbonation of a bottle of Zima, but thankfully downplays the horse piss taste while amplifying that nostalgic aroma of late night college booty calls.

O: I can muster a very inflated 2 simply for the memories this pisswasser brought back. If I was being totally objective though, (which is impossible if you think fondly of the good ol days) I'd say that a .5 would be generous. Simply put, there is a reason 16 to 23 year olds buy this stuff. It's cheap, it gets the job done and it somehow manages to maintain it's popularity with that demographic.

After 13 or 14 of these I had forgotten what beer really tasted like anyway. Then I got home and nearly spit out my first sip off a can of Furious that I had just cracked open. That's when I knew I had somehow been poisoned... I've lurked on BA for years but was now finally compelled to create an account and write a review simply for the travesty that this shit imposed on my palette. I can forgive I spose but I can never forget.

I'm glad this American beer is now Belgian. (2,580 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -37.7%

Two fingers of head in a tulip glass. Clear, golden colored body with a single line of bubbles.
Smell is one step above rotten. It's a damp grain in a metal container smell.
The taste is licking the metal container.
Fizzy and light texture.
Oh, this is pretty bad. Avoid. (272 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

First off, I'm from St. Louis - so this beer has been around me and been consumed by my uncles, grandpas, etc.. my whole life. It's known around here as the beer that the 'South City Hoosiers' drink, if that means anything to you. South St. Louis - home of the fat wallet (think Costanza) and Busch Beer.

Anyway, this beer isn't as bad as some of the reviewers are saying on here. I think there are a lot of so-called beer snobs who now that they've had a few IPA's and Imperial Stouts are turning their noses up at what they grew up on drinking - cheap, light, session beers.

In my opinion, this and Busch aren't too shabby for that cheap beer that you can drink a lot of. Perfect for camping, float trips, pounding a bunch for watching games, doing yard work, etc. Is it a great beer, no, but it serves it's purpose.

Very clear, very light, not much head and no lace retention. This isn't that type of beer. No hoppy presence or malt backbone. Just a flat out light, crisp refreshing beer you can pound. It's better than any of the other cheaper beers by far - and i got a 30 pack for $15.

Grab you a coozie, ice up some Rocky tops and have a good day drinking beer with your buds. (1,187 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. A friend of mine brought a sixpack of this over to watch a game, and left one in my fridge. Always fun to tick off another brew from the Bottom 100, right?

A: Clear, pale, watery greenish-yellow body under a finger of fine white froth. Mediocre retention, very light lace. Boring.

S: Wow, light is right. This has practically no aroma at all - only some faint corn and a hint of fruitiness. Really weak, even for the style.

T: Light, chalky, corny, and thoroughly boring. Light graininess on the aftertaste. Unpleasant.

M: Watery at first, with some slow-building carbonation filling in behind. Meh.

O: Not the worst cheap beer out there, but certainly not the best. Boring to the max.

Cheers! (728 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Ahhh...Busch Light...cheap beer night at the house as i bought this tall boy with loose change in my pocket at the corner store on the way home.

A very non-descript light yellow pour...head that lasts about 2.7 seconds. Not much to look at.

Grainy goodness in the scent...grainy corn, maybe creamed corn...a bit sweet. Not much else.

Taste follows...about as light as water...with the adunct grain so typical of the big boy breweries. Not entirely offensive, but oh so dull and dreary. Quite carbonated...big fat bubbles rising from the bottom of my pint glass.

You get what you pay for folks...an extremely light beer more suitable for chugging after mowing the lawn...not much else. Still, for just above a buck, it's better than soda. (742 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured this 12 oz can into a pint glass. Poured a very light yellow color, produced a thin white head , retention was poor, and and left a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of corn, and nothing else. Light in body, this Light Lager is very clean, smooth, and thirst quenching. Probably would be a good Lawn Mower Beer. There is a slight trace of malted grain, some corn, very little hop flavor and it has somewhat of a dry finish. Overall, I guess it serves it purpose, a light mass produced lager that you don't have to think about. Poor marks for taste and everything else but mouthfeel. Save this one for the mother in-law. Prost.! (657 characters)

2.23/5  rDev +9.3%

Well.. compared to "real" beer.. this does not have much. On the other hand back in the high school days when you had no beer money this was great!

I look at it this way.. i find it stupid to spend money on bottled water.. this is the next best thing..

Serve COLD .. as close as you can possibly get it to freezing

is what it is.. cheap light beer. good alternative to plain water on a hot day! (399 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between this and Bud Light. I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between this and basically any other AAL. I'd be hard pressed to find any real differences between this and a bottle of Aquafina. When the dollar price of a beer is almost half the number of cans you're getting, something's not right.

A 30-pack of Busch Light is $15.99.
That is 53 cents per can.
That is about 4 cents per ounce.

Don't trust a beer that cheap. There's a reason that you're paying mere pennies each time you take a sip. I'm not the kind of dick who always goes to the store and buys Heinz ketchup or Glad garbage bags - I typically settle for the Walmart alternative (except when it comes to toilet paper, I always use Charmin). But this is a different story. Cheaper is not always better. It's just.... cheaper.

Busch Light is the beer that bitch slapped your liver for the first time back when you were a sophomore in high school trying to impress that blonde from math class who showed up to your friend's bonfire. "Toss me another one, bro!" The Boone's Farm of beer.

At least it comes in camouflage cans. (1,146 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -30.4%

Looks somewhat like beer. Light yellow and has a bit of head if it is poured. Smells like corn and pale malt with a hint of alcohol. Feels pretty smooth due to low carbonation, but the taste is not impressive.

It tastes like watered down paint thinner. The alcohol, remnants of corn, and unpleasant byproducts of yeast come through when the beer is both ice cold and slightly cold. It's not heavy at all, but the tastes that are present are pretty gross.

All around worse than Bud Light while aiming to be the same thing. Choose Coors Light or PBR over this if you want a cheap/light beer (592 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -46.1%

Had this at an anniversary party very far from home. The only options were this and Keystone light. Like a good beer advocate, I tried both. This was an extra tall 16oz can, but as the sun shone from above, I could clearly see to the bottom of the can as soon as I opened it. I knew I was in for an experience. This beer smelled as close to nothing as you can get. The taste was beneath thin, and it all but evaporated in your mouth. If you want to get drunk, but not in a hurry, then this beer is for you. Otherwise, steer clear. Not recommended (546 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +61.8%

OK, everyone that really loves beer goes for an IPA, ESB, etc. This beer is cheap, yes. But it is also low carb. People with blood sugar issues (like me) still want to drink beer. What to do? Once you get used to this style, it's OK. Grab a Pale Ale when out on the town. This, for me, is everyday. (298 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

A: Poured with a one finger head of fizz that fizzed out into absolutely nothing. Literally there was no type of head or even a ring of foam on this beer. Color of pee. Not much carbonation rising at all.

S: Very faint husky grains and very light corn. Hard to smell much.

T: Well...tastes like water with some alcohol in it. Seriously. Aftertaste has a little bit of corn in it. At least it doesn't taste bad I guess.

M: So incredibly watery. Light carbonation is there.

O: If you drink crappy beer, at least don't drink this. It sucks. (580 characters)

Serving Type - In a can, the way high quality easy drinking all American beer should be.

Appearance - Golden yellow similar to the nectar of the gods. As with other things a little head before you get to the good stuff.

Smell - It's the smell of a summer day hanging with your buddies kicking back and having a good time 30 beers at a time.

Taste - Smooth and crisp easy drinking. Let's be honest we drink it to get drunk and it goes down nice and smooth. If I was drinking for taste, I would have a fruit umbrella drink.

This is a great all around beer. No matter what you are doing from working on the car to hanging with friends its the right beer.

Nothing beats a cold Busch Light on a hot day...except maybe a warm Busch light in Death Valley. (754 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from 40 oz. into pint glass

Appearance – Poured a straw color with a lighter white head. The head faded fast with almost no lacing left behind.

Smell – Very light corn with the slightest bit of malt.

Taste – The taste is very light all around. There is some light malt flavors mixed in with a corn flavor. Along with these flavors is a cardboard taste that lingers in the mouth at the very end of the flavor.

Mouthfee l- Very light and watery with a medium level of carbonation. It goes down like water; a little too easy to drink very fast.

Overall – Even for a “light” beer this one is on the lower side of the rating scale. Very little flavor, super weak body and nothing else to offer make this brew one to pass over. (745 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -7.8%

So here we are...reviewing a Busch Light. Based upon the grading scales i wish i could give it more but i cant. So knowing this...

I take this beer as it is..this is for nights with friends where you are expecting to drink more than half of the 30 pack you bought for $16. Which in my opinion is a great deal. First, always drink from a can. Make sure very cold. Sure it smells of corn and grains but what beer of this type doesn't? It's taste is crisp and carbonated. Overall- this is my favorite "cheap" beer to drink. We all know what it is for, so let's embrace it for what it is. I honestly think there is worse, but i'm not drinking it to ponder its wonderful hoppy characters and unbelievable taste...i'm drinking it for the 30cans of unbridled joy with friends that i will have a hard time recalling in the morning. Cheers! (832 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -31.9%

Born on date of 12/09/2011.
Poured into a pilsener.

Appearance: Fizzy, white frothy 2 finger head. The head stayed around for a couple of minutes leaving a little bit of lacing. Ligkt yellow color. Very little carbonation.

Smell: A little bit of malt with some grains.

Taste: This was the most disappointing aspect of this beer. Very little taste. Like it smelled. A little malt and grain.

Mouth Feel: Light, dry, thin fizzy water.

Overall: It started out looking pretty good for a light lager. It was all downhill after that. It's "Natural Light" cousin is actually a better beer. This is not a beer that I need again. (624 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

AS this is my cheap beer of choice for getting hammered at parties and what not, let's review it!

Appearance - Pours a straw/gold color with very little head and absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

Smell - Grainy and metallic, doesn't really smell like anything.

Taste - Again, doesn't really taste like much at all. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough for such a fine product, but it tastes like water to me.

Mouthfeel - At least it's nice and crisp! Goes down smooth given the carbonation level, especially if its ice cold.

Overall - You get what you pay for man. This is a cheap beer even for the style. Good for beer bongs, drinking games, frat parties, etc. (665 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -35.8%

Why do I do this to myself? Open minded...here we go...

This is very light, just barely pale gold color. Quick white head that goes "dodo" very quickly.

Stale malt and corn aroma. Dank. Old socks

Taste? Not much. The stale malt is more old socksy and the corn is underneath. I'd think this is sock flavored water. Fizzy. This does not taste like beer. Not even close, but it does match the category a bit. (408 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Not much of an appearance with about a 1" head that quickly disappears. Smells like watered down...water beer. Taste like a normal american pilsner which lacks much flavor or imagination. Really crisp and tastes pretty much how it smells and looks. Let's face it, this is a drinking game beer so leave it for the tailgates or beer pong. Unless of course it's free, then the "free beer" rule applies. of all the beers, this is the one that I consumed the most while in college. I'll even pick up a dirty thirty for a beer pong competition....but those are few and far between. Don't judge me. (591 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +61.8%

I grew up on this stuff.. so I thought why not actually give it a review? Never tried this from a bottle until now.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a very small, frothy head that dissipates instantly. Looks VERY crisp. Almost no lacing.

Smell - Has a sweet, citrus like aroma upfront. Almost like lemon zest. Along with corn and grains.

Taste - Has a spicy/herbal taste at first with mild bitterness. After a few sips I can taste corn, grains, and breadiness. Maybe a feint citrus flavor as well.. Tastes pretty cheap

Mouthfeel - Light body with high carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall - I honestly think this tastes better from the can.. The only time I ever get this beer is when I'm drinking with friends and trying to be cheap haha. (752 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Tallboy can from the LCBO. Probably brewed down the road in London, this here is the Canadian version of Busch Light. I got Bud Light out of the way a few days ago, but I saved something even more special for the beer review that would officially earn me my BA mug.

An aggressive pour produces a foamy, fizzy white head on top of a pale, straw-yellow brew. Lots of carbonation visible. The head retention is actually mildly impressive for a light beer, but it is still mostly gone within a minute or two. Musty aroma of pale malts and corn husk.

The taste is a little less clean than Bud Light, but very similar - grainy, diluted malts with a stronger corny, vegetal adjunct taste that is more apparent in the finish. Thin body, with a watery mouthfeel and lots of carbonation. At least it's refreshing, which I consider pretty important for this style.

Much like its cousin Bud Light, Busch Light is bland and easy to throw back, managing to avoid unpalatability, but only just. I can't see myself buying this again, but if offered I'd have no problem drinking it.

Final Grade: 2.37, an unimpressive D+. Acceptable in a pinch if you need a cheap light beer. The lack of quality shows, but served ice cold this is certainly not the worst of its kind. I like Bud Light marginally more, but using 'like' in a statement like that makes it seem inherently ludicrous. (1,368 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Poured from a can into a glass.

A-average straw color that you see in these types of beer. Very little head.

S-Hints of metal and maybe some grains, maybe. Not alot going on here at all.

T-Bad. Even for what this kind of beer is it is bad. I am trying to be nice but this is so watery and lacking anything you could call flavor.

M- High carbonation and goes down smooth I guess for how light it is.

O-Not a good beer at all. One of, if not, the worst beer I have ever had. There is little to complement here. Go drink a real beer. (535 characters)

This was the first beer I ever had in my life. It almost turned me off of drinking beer forever. Thank god that didn’t happen, and that I discovered good beer.

I recently had this ‘beer’ again, and tried it wondering if my remembrances of it tasting like cat piss mixed with cow semen were somehow misleading because it was my first beer, something that is, without a doubt, a slightly acquired taste. But sadly, it was not, and I am now writing this review in case someone wishes to choose this beer as their first beer. Don’t do it. Unless you like drinking piss. In which case, this will probably be your favorite beer.

The appearance was like piss. And I don’t mean like ‘yellow’ after eating something with lots of vitamin C in it. I mean what it looks like when I piss after I’ve had a lot of beer. It’s a pale yellow, so very pale, with a large white fluffy head that then suddenly drops back to nothingness such that if you blink you won’t even realize there is a head there at all.

It smells bready slightly. You can smell some sort of stale malt. Maybe that’s corn I smell? Can’t really be sure, it’s not at all pleasant smelling and reminds me of something I would smell if a bread factory was put next to a sewage treatment facility.

It tastes like, well, beer flavored piss basically. There isn’t much taste there, it’s like water soaked with bread and corn. But what taste that is there, I can’t describe. Just imagine the worst bready, corn tasting thing you can imagine mixed with cat piss, and then multiply that. Not by a hundred, not by a thousand, not even by a million, but a billion. Just make it awful.

Mouth feel – like water with a little carbonation… nothing there, really.

This is probably the worst beer I’ve ever had, ever will have, and it should never be made, bought, or tasted by anyone again except we should give it to child molesters and rapists to drink as punishment. There is nothing here. It is a quasi-beer, a fake, a pseudo, almost non-alcoholic. IT IS A FRAUD I TELL YOU! Don’t drink this, unless you enjoy the taste of cat piss! (2,122 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -5.9%

A - This beer pours a very clear, extremely pale yellow color. It looks like some one added water to a half drank beer. It has almost two fingers of fizzy white head on it. The head has pretty terrible retention, and it leaves no lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose is that of your typical adjunct lager. There are scents of grain, corn sweetness, and some other not so appetizing aromas. Thats really about all the nose has to offer.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. It is grainy with some corn adjunct sweetness. It is pretty tasteless all together, and there is a mildly unpleasant aftertaste.

M - This has a light water-like body and fizzy carbonation. It goes down like water. There is some sweetness and a bit of eathiness to it. Also, there is some tingling from the high carbonation.

O - The drinkability is pretty much that of corny sweet water. It goes down easy, but the flavor isn't the best. It's just like watered down beer. It's not offensive, but it isn't good either. (1,005 characters)

Busch Light from Anheuser-Busch