Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,949
3.4/5  rDev +75.3%

My first beer review.

I like to try every beer i can snag. Natural Light is the kind of beer that goes good one any occasion.

This beer this decent and very drinkable. It goes down good. It's cheap to buy and worth it. first time i drank this, month ago, was on a hot summer day playing bean bags.

The appearance is a simple yellowish color. Its very light and has little taste to it. Drinkable is great because i can drink this all day and dont get sick of it. (466 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +75.3%

Poured an ice-cold freshly brewed can into an 11oz glass 'borrowed' from the Anheuser-Busch Brewery tour hospitality room. Yellow, orange, golden egg color, very pale. (The exact same colors on a box of Camel Lights, if that helps). (Seriously, compare.) Large bubbles cover the sides. In general, it looks okay to me.

A hint of that Budweiser smell. Lightly sweet but more sour than Bud.

Average taste; nothing describable, but nothing unpleasant either. Slightly sour after taste that I quickly learned to enjoy.

Mouthfeel is a little too bubbly at first, but the carbonation disappears after a couple minutes. Mostly just feels cold and wet.

I find this beer extremely drinkable.

Notes: This review is probably a little biased from a financial standpoint. When I can I'll $10 or $12 for a six-pack, and my expectations are of course much higher. Had I paid say, $8.99 for a 12 pack of Natty Light, I might have been disappointed. Had I paid $6.99 for 12 I might have wanted a dollar back. But this beer cost me $4.99 for a pack brewed less than 10 days ago, and it lived up to, even exceeded my expectations. It's basically like drinking the 5 cent can of Wal-mart cola versus the real thing.

I think that one of the categories for rating beer should be "value".

I have no complaints. Although I'm not sure what exactly is "Natural" about this beer. It scores a 5 on the value scale. (1,407 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +74.2%

i believe many folk don't like this brew even before they taste it! if this beer cost more than bud light it would be the more popular beer without a doubt! this is the first light beer...which is brewed by A-B. how much time and $ do you think A-B put into this product before releasing it?? with the bottomless pockets of the number 1 brewery in the world you should know that they are going to do their research and put put out the best product they can! don't be fooled by the low cost! when it comes to light beers A-B knew what they where doing bringing this out...long before bud light or select. enjoy a cold natural light and be happy you saved a few of your hard earned $. (682 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +72.7%

Very pale yellow beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is fresh and light as is the taste.A good fit for the light lager category.Refreshing and smooth as water.The perfect fit to a summertime party.I always have and always will drink this.An AB classic. (254 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +72.7%

A: nothing great here, pale yellow, decent carbonation.

S: a little bitter and plain, corny

T: honestly it surprised me that this adjunct lager could even moderately hold up to the title of pilsner

M: Thin and carbonated, like a diet soda.

D: hell, its college beer, its impossible to imagine anything easier to pound down (326 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +72.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Pours with a very active, fizzy head. Perfect pour into the glass creates a nearly four-finger head which balloons just over the top of the glass. Beer is straw-colored, perhaps just a degree lighter in color than its contemporaries. Very light carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell: Not bad at all. Slightly sweet, grassy or earthy aroma. Almost no malt presence and very light on the hops. A hint of lemon-type flavor to the nose. Mostly unobtrusive, but better than average, I suppose.

Taste: Perfectly average. Hops are a touch more pronounced here, but not by much. This is a very plain drinker...which, in a way, is a good thing. At least no flavor means it doesn't taste *bad*.

Mouthfeel: Light, as the name suggests. Not very crisp, unless served at or near freezing. Goes down smoothly leaving room for something else to entice the palate.

Drinkability: Good. You could easily drink several of these at a cold temperature (low ABV and light flavor). Good beer for a barbecue or other type of dinner.

I like Natty Light. It's not a great beer, but you get what you pay for, which is momentary refreshment, so I can't complain. (1,211 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +64.9%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white fluffy head. It is pale yellow and very clear. It smells sweet like all BMC's. There is hardly any taste. I get a slight bite from the carbonation. It is watery. Thanks to my buddy for leaving twenty of these in my fridge because I would have never bought this swill. It does go down like water though.

Cheers! (361 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +64.9%

When reviewed within the style this beer is fairly average. The only thing is, it is a little cheaper. I bought a sixer of this tonight for no other reason than I had a driver and this was the only thing in 16oz cans. I was wanting to get a little more than a standard six and this met that requirment. Pretty typical for the style. A camping session beer for sure. (365 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +64.9%

Tasty Water. For a person who needs to drink more water, check this beer out. It's alcoholic water, but damn it's tasty and super fizzy. It's a very weak beer and serves it's purpose. It's for pounding back on those University pub pre-game nights and for cutting the grass out back. 12 cans is about 7 bucks US last I checked. A deal for sure and they're great for sessions I must add. It's not super boozy but alcoholic enough to give you what you want in a session. Cheers to Natural Light! (492 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +63.9%

I've had so many of these over the course of my college career that I eventually got to the point where I couldn't taste it anymore. It is a beginner's beer. It helps you adjust to having alcohol in your mouth and primes the tastebuds for a lifetime of better beers. If you're into drink a lot, this fits the bill. If you're into drinking for enjoyment, you'd be better off finding something a bit more, uh, mature.

I can't deny where I came from, but I sure am glad I've "graduated" on to more diverse beers. (511 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +63.4%

look my friends here at Beer Adv….its Natural Light….used to steal this by the case at local store…..its poundable, cheap(if you paid for it) …no hoppy; "why the hell am I drinking this over flowered beer" feel to it….simple, to the point libation…a favorite among my homeless friends and college dropouts. More to the point, I like our nice house, vehicles, toys and bills paid I'm at the age where beer snobbiness is no longer an issue……still prefer Extra Gold though… on a side note: this is labeled as a pilsner not lager….anywho? (554 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +63.4%

I bought a six pack of 16oz cans when I was starved on cash. Cost right around $4. Not a bad beer for the price and will get you a buzz. Around beer #3 my stomach began to rumble. As I opened beer #5 I got hardcore diarrhea and barely made it to the toilet.

You get what you pay for! (284 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +62.9%

Natural Light has a very thick, white head and a clear, pale straw appearance, with a good amount of carbonation and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, sweet, and even eggy (but that aspect dissipated with the head). Taste is mild, bready, sweet, and it also has just the smallest amount of hop bite at the end. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natural Light finishes crisp, easy drinking, and refreshing. Overall, for light beer, it's alright.

RJT (473 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +62.4%

A - decent looking can, familiar AB logo.

S - not much smell really

T - It's definitely a cheap, light, American beer. Not what I would reach for in a brew pub, but in a cooler on ice while watching the race, not a horrible taste for the low price. Reminds me of being a kid with an absentee budget again.

M - Actually a little dirty, like drinking from the hose with some carbonation in there. A beer like this should not be allowed to linger in a glass or a can though. It's for drinking. Sort of like box wine or generic pretzels. As long as it's not stale, it will get the job done.

O - Not pouring it down the drain, It can get there when I'm done with it. It's decent to drink when you're trying to pinch pennies. (724 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +61.3%

From the can to the mouth.

Appearance is good, some lovely graphics on the can in a red, blue and silver motif.

Taste reminds me of most every other Anheuser-Busch Light Beer.

I love Budweiser. I really do.

I do not like most of their other beers.

Couldn't they have called this Busch Light or just re-packaged that and called it this? (340 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +60.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I recall buying Natty Light once before, back in '85 while in college, and believing their advertising that it was a good light beer with food...as the only other light lager that I buy is also an A-B product (Busch Light), I thought I'd revisit it once I found these in bottles at $3.99 per 6-pack.

Poured into a Perfect Pint:

A=Greenish yellow in color and very pale; nice white foam head that went away right away.

S=Very sweet smell, almost like a cream ale.

T=Very hoppy, as with other light beers I've found. I think A-B puts more corn in here than Busch Light to give it a bit more sweetness, but still less flavor than Busch Light. Above average, however, as compared to other light lagers.

M=Very drinkable as a session beer due to its lightness and average carbonation.

O=A very close second to Busch Light in terms of flavor...definitely a good value light beer for picnics in the summer or after mowing the lawn.

Update: 1/22/12: Reducing taste to 2.5, below average, as this beer--even for a light--is way too watered down. (1,043 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +59.8%

Natural Light is a good cheap beer. It would be unrealistic to expect NL to have the qualities of an expensive import or microbrew, so I'll try to judge it entirely on its own merits.

Color? It's yellow. End of story.

In my opinion, NL has a very faint "beer smell" that's neither bad nor good, more like..."neutral".

The taste can only be described as "extremely watery". The flavor (if you can call it that) isn't offensive, but it lacks any kind of character or distinguishing traits.

As far as mouthfeel goes, once again the key words are "extremely watery". Flat and dull.

Natural Light goes down very smoothly, so I think it has an above-average drinkability quotient. Perfect for outdoor drinking on a scorchin' hot day, but not a brew that you would serve if you're trying to impress a "beer snob". (823 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +59.8%

it would be hard for me to give any other reviews of the beer, seeing as my serving type or (method) was the classic "shotgun." If you want to get drunk on a budget...GO NATTY!!! b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (371 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +59.8%

Sampled tonight on 5/13/14 while 'Grillin' & Chillin' on the upper back patio. Bought this single 16 ounce can for 75 cents. Been since Florida since I had one of these. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a 32 ounce 1996 "Bud Light" glass mug in PERFECT NEW CONDITION that I bought from the local Salvation Army Store about 2 weeks back and was kept in the freezer.

Pours a lighter straw-yellow in color with a good 2-finger fizzy white head that settles down to just a thin layering on top and the sides of the glass. Actually a decent amount of lacing was seen. The aroma is of grains and a hint of sweet corn, The taste is right up from the with corn first followed by the grain. Lots of carbonation that is excepted, and common with Bud products. Actually, the taste wasn't that bad and with no bitter aftertaste. (850 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +57.7%

Good ol' college standby. I spent many of nights in college doing 12oz. curls of this schwill. It's drinkability is superb because it tastes like water. As far as standards, this one rates low, but nostalgia and the many memorable nights and football games I spent with my natty I cannot talk bad about this beer. Exceptional tailgating beer (341 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +56.7%

Had this straight from the bottle (no sense pretending it's worth a pour). Maybe it's because I had been smoking, but I really didn't mind the Natty Light (first time I had any since college). It does have a slightly metallic aftertaste that can be cloying, but then again, the cost must be factored in. $6.99 a twelve? It'll go fine with pizza or what not, and whom do you really need to impress? (397 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +55.2%

A: Like the old cans better, only seen it in beer pong cups. It glistens like the sun, yellow. Some bubbly head.
S: Eh, don't smell it, just drink it.
T: Water, water, water, corn, malt, water
M: Great, crisp, carbonated tingle
D: So easyyy

Awesome beer, and awesome price. (274 characters)

I should start off by saying that this is a beer that me and my friends grew up drinking, so i feel as if i have some sort of loyalty to this great brew. For the price, you absolutely can't beat it... it doesnt taste too bad and it does its job. I actually even prefer this over the likes of miller lite and coors light. So if you are down on cash and want a decent beer.. why not? (381 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Natural Light pours a peaked straw from a stubby 12oz brown twist off cap bottle. Head goes about two fingers and stays around for a few seconds.

Nose is a sharp astringent and palate is of the same, sharp and bitter astringent along with the bight of carbonation. No detectable saccharides, just sharp and bitter astringent.

Its another hot and humid day with the temperature at ninety six degrees and this macro is hitting the spot. I really don’t think that this Beer was meant to be picked over. I get the impression that this Beer is meant to have its top popped and just thrown back for the pure enjoyment of its being a cold wet conservatively priced Beer. (671 characters)

I am going to go out on a limb and say this is not a terrible brew. I know that "haters" or "cool guys" on this site will hater, but I will just let haters hate.

The beer pours light orangey yellow, with a light thin layer of foam. Leave some lace on the glass as the foam subsides. The smell is of wheats and grains, and everything you could expect from the style. The taste is light, flavorful, and refreshing. This is a great beer for a hot day or mowing the lawn, nothing earth shattering but does not deserve all the hate it gets. (536 characters)

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch