Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,988
1.73/5  rDev -4.9%

Had a surprisingly good head on a pale yellow clear body. Highly carbonated, almost effervescent. Aroma had very, very faint amount of hops and no malt to speak of. Smells like beer, though not particularly good beer. Not especially adjuncty to my nose. Light body with adjuncts and astringency up front followed by a touch of lingering aftertaste that I can't quite describe. Maybe it's bitterness, but I can't believe that there was much in the way of hops in it. Very little mouthfeel, though still probably more than expected (though that's not saying much). Not something I'd want to drink a lot of until my taste buds have been sufficiently anesthetized.

Not good, even by cheap beer standards.

1.2/5  rDev -34.1%

Polluted water appearance
Metal tasting.
smells like nothing

This beer was created to get people hammered for the price of a hamburger.
It goes down like water and tastes just about the same.
and don't worry if you spill some on you it's only alcoholic water.

1.8/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

My oldest son just turned 21 and this is what he brought home! I thought I had raised him better. Where is the Sierra Nevada I asked? About the only thing going for this beer is that it is oh so cheap. Pours a very pale yellow with thin head. Smells of corn and cheap grains. Not much in the taste department either, thin and watery with just a slight grainy flavor. This is a brew for college students all the way. May have to up his allowance.

2.48/5  rDev +36.3%

Poured a very pale yellow color with moderate white puffy head that very quickly vanished. Smell is on the sweetish side, and not particularly enjoyable.Taste is very mild, non-offensive (because there is so little there) taste does not improve when it warms because some strange sweet notes begin to appear. Refreshing when ice cold, not very good cool. Drink it fast while its ice cold.

2.71/5  rDev +48.9%

At $.35 for the can I thought I'd give it a shot.

The sweet/sour malt quality familiar to the style dominates the aroma, with just a touch of hops.
Pours with a real attractive chalk white head that is very loud in it's fizziness. The head leaves pretty quickly to a ring and a scattered bubble cover. Water clear of very pale gold.
The flavor holds a sourness at the end, but starts with a light sweetness of malt, then moves to a watery nothingness, which precedes the ascending bitterness that tops off at a moderate level, just before the sourness. The finish is the worst part of the drink, especially since it tends to linger a bit.
Appropriately carbonated, and it makes it kinda filling and leaves a bloated feeling. Decently soft. As it should be for style.
This coulda' been worst. I choose not to wait long enough for it warm, I dare not give it that chance. Nothing I'd look for and well worth the cost for this can. One's enough.

2.89/5  rDev +58.8%

Appearance - Very pale yellow with about a half inch of head.

Smell - Nothing special.

Taste - Watered down Bud, but unlike Bud Light, is manageable.

Drinkability - Out of all of the macro lagers, perhaps in the 2nd tier of beers. Considering the price of the beer, a very good buy. Doesn't give me a headache afterwards and I would recommend it for your college parties.

1.5/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The only reason I am drinking this is because it is my father in law's favorite beer. Pours a bright urine colored yellow with a fuzzy white thin head that falls almost immediately to thin fuzz. Smells of corn/barley and cereal along with some cheap grainy adjuncts. Tastes like watered down malty grain water, nothing else really present. Could only drink ice cold to freeze my taste buds enough to dumb down the "taste." Mouthfeel is carbonated mineral water. Drinkability is low, maybe this is better when you're already inebriated. I'll pass.

1.7/5  rDev -6.6%

This beer makes no excuses or outlandish promices on the label so I won't try to sugarcoat either. from frat boys everywhere to high school kids with no job this is a staple of young drinking life---Yes It is cheap, and maybe a little to "light" [def. the lightest "light" beer ever]for my taste but my friend, let me tell ya...it will get ya drunk.

2.05/5  rDev +12.6%

Water. Water. Water.

But damn, it's water that gets you drunk. Natty light was my high school drink of choice, so I continue the tradition today. It really has no flavor to speak of, but perhaps that's a good thing. Unlike beast or hi-life, it doesnt make me want to vomit with one sip.

In any case - it doesnt taste like beer, but it aint bad if you need to get a quick load. Try a funnel or shotgun technique. Whatever.

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Is it really necessary to create an even cheaper and even crappier version of Busch Light? I guess sometimes the public is just really, really poor.

This beer is exactly like any other shitty light lager, but has too much carbonation (probably to hide the sour, skanky taste), and has a horrible tin-can flavor when drank from a can. Add an unadmirable green apple taste to its resume. Guess I'm not really getting anywhere good with this. I suppose I wouldnt bitch too much about knocking a couple back if I was already good and loaded, but it would be tough to start the night/day with one of these. Gross.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

Dude, seriously. Why are you drinking this beer? I know why you are drinking this beer. You want to get drunk and not only do you want to get drunk but you want to do it cheaply.

Come aside here for a sec. This is crap. There is much better beer out there and life is too short to be drinking this swill. Forget about the buzz for a sec and consider buying a quality product instead. No amount of cheap beer is worth subjecting yourself to this.

1.35/5  rDev -25.8%

So since I am in college, this is my standard beer at 9.99 a 24 pack. I've finally got the courage to review it. Usually I start out with some good beers and go to this, but I always tell myself that I'm drinking water. Appearence is a light straw color and it smells like dirt and cooked rice. There is a huge bubbly head at first that dissapates rapidly. It tastes like water...no hops or malt, just plain gross. The mouthfeel is very thin. I rank this a 2.5 in drinkability because it is comparable to water and makes a GREAT session beer if you don't have much cash. Overall this is a nasty beer...I can't wait til' I get a good paying job...

1.42/5  rDev -22%

Yeah, I know I was slumming it. But I want to sample and rate ALL beers, including this horrible concoction. This is one of the most lifeless looking beers I’ve ever seen, pale straw with a small white, fizzy, quickly diminishing head. Typical adjunct smell that is bland and stinks of cooked vegetables. The taste is bland… not as horrible as I expected, but still not good by any means. The mouthfeel is thin, watery and lifeless. You can tell that this beer was made to be cheap… period. Yes it is very inexpensive, but it’s still not worth it. Save this stuff for the college freshman parties.

Natty is a beer I drink almost every week. It brings back so many good memories. Being a poor college student with a limited budget Natural Light has become a staple of my diet. Under $15 for a 30 pack, I can't resist. Not a great tasting beer, but for the money it will do. I recomend anyone with little or no money, give it a try at least.

1.05/5  rDev -42.3%

After reading some other reviews of this beer, I am still at a loss as to how it is described as 'tasteless'. Any time I have had the dubious pleasure of swilling this monstrosity, I've been struck by many things it lacks - color, body, any texture beyond that of seltzer - but taste is something it has. And what a taste it is:
Some drinks are described as astringent, as they make your mouth feel almost puckered. This does that - but not through any particular quality of the drink, but more becuase of the pure nasty of the taste. It is sour in a way entirely seperate from anything palatable, bitter in entirely unnatural ways, and even when poured into a glass retains a metallic tang that dominates the character of the beer. This is also the only beer I have ever encountered that tastes exactly the same no matter what state it or the taster is in - whether room-temperature or near-frozen, whether tasted while stone-cold sober or 3 sheets to the wind - the beer hearkens to the fermented sweat of Lucifer, hopped with only the finest brimstone and sulfur. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

2.64/5  rDev +45.1%

I had a few of these with my coworkers (carpenters) after work today, they think it's fantastic - "much better than coors light because it's less bitter." whatever that means.

basically this beer tastes and smells like water, although when i strained very hard i think i might have tasted the hops that they waved over the top of the vat, but maybe that was just my imaginiation filling in what should have been there. drinkability is high beacause it is as drinkable as spring water.

basically, this is a completely unoffensive and extremely boring beer. big thumbs down.

1.6/5  rDev -12.1%

What can I say about Natty.Only that i despise it. As a college student I must say that I frequently drink this beer. However, this is only because its free, and when i really want to get drunk its the cheapest solution there is. At about 16 dollars for a case it usually gives me about two good nights.

The appearance of this beer is not very impressive. It looks like piss with a soapy looking head (if you could call it that).

The beer dosn't have anything outstanding about its smell, or its taste. It smells and tastes like cheap beer. Actually this beer tastes like a very small amount of beer (perhaps bud) mixed with flat seltzer water.

On the palate this beer, as i said feels like flat tonic water. As for the drinkability, I wouldn't pay for it and don't drink it unless its free, or unless there is a party and I have to buy. I mean I'm not going to spend alot of money on good beer at a party where I'm not going to drink 100% of the beer I buy.

I really am not sure what the "brewmasters" of this beer were going for when they discovered natty, but I think that they did a good job of making a really cheap, shitty, popular (among college students) beer that pulls in alot of profit.

1.9/5  rDev +4.4%

It tastes like carbonated water with a little beer flavoring added. The metal taste from the can actually enhances the taste. It tastes even worse when poured into a glass because the aluminum flavor is taken away. This beer is the very definition of cheap swill.

1.1/5  rDev -39.6%

I really tried hard to drink this with a straight face but I simply couldn't. I poured it into my glass and it looked like water with a slight amount of piss or something light yellow in there. Not really any head or carbonation showing. Smelled nothing. Tasted nothing. I got out a glass of water and drank them side by side. Almost no difference, I'm not joking. Terrible stuff. Might be good for beer pong if you're too poor to buy Busch light or High Life. This is not good.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

Surprisingly, Nati-Light may actually be better than a lot of A-B's beers. Not because it's better tasting beer, it's because the bad flavors are less pronounced here than in many other of their beers. Having said that, this is a bad beer. It has a vague yellow color, overcarbonated and cannot retain a foamstand. Has almost no presence to the nose. Flavors are nill. Slight (and I do mean slight) grain flavor and metalic tones. Everything disapears to a watery gulp. Absolutely nothing in the finish or aftertaste. My advice, drink only when free, and nothing better is within a day's drive.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

I have 5 words to describe this beer : Seltzer water in a can. This beer taste like carbonated water with a faint taste of alcohol. I seriously had to drink about 12 beers to get anywhere close to where i wanted to be. I'll Tell you i had to whizz about a good 15 times that night. If you want to drink a beer dont waste your time with this water in a can. Have a natural ice or be a big boy and have a good ole Steel 211. Leave this beer to the amateurs

2.12/5  rDev +16.5%

Rate Nattie Light? Why? Because it's been a long day and I felt like having a beer while I do a crossword puzzle to unwind. I found this can in my parents' fridge, leftover from a case someone brought to a barbecue earlier in the summer. In the end, all beers deserve a fair shake from someone who will give an objective rating.

Served at fridge temperature in a pint glass.

A - When you talk about piss-yellow beer, this is what is being referred to. Extremely pale straw yellow with a decent, but quick head that disappears to not even so much as a thin film after only 15 seconds. No lacing. Almost no effervescent action inside the glass. Tsk tsk.

S - Adjuncty metallic nose with sweet, corny overtones. Some distinguishable maltiness. A trace of aromatic hops. This is the characteristic smell that makes beer haters hate beer.

T - Pale malty sweetness up front that ushers in a metal-laced, watery and bland middle. Very quick grainy finish unencumbered by any hop personality. Extremely light. Unimpressive for the style.

M - Comes into the mouth like watery seltzer. A quick tingle on the tongue, then the carbonation steps down during the swallow. Fairly smooth and not drying. Decent for the style.

D - Unfortunately, there are many obvious things about this beer that keep it from being as good as other competitors in the same category. While the mouthfeel is average, the sickly appearance coupled with the lackluster smell and taste keep this beer from being an asset (term used loosely) in the Light Lager class. It's drinkable, but for the same price, there are better alternatives.

NOTE: Regardless of this beer's low ranking (from me), it does have it's place! This beer is a good bet for beer pong and beer bongs, both of which are better when you don't have to worry about caring much about the beer you're drinking.

1.3/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

An almost transparent yellow color with a one finger head. Goes from white fizz to busy carbonation almost instantly and leaves no lacing. Light, watery body. Very faint off malt smell, mostly adjunct. Metallic off-taste is just about the only flavor. But it's wide availability and low price make it a staple of american college keg parties.

2.09/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - Exceptionally pale yellow. I had to take this into a room with better light to make sure it had any color. Soapy foam head disappears in seconds. Well below average and less than appetizing.

Smell - Very light macro/adjunct smell. Regular for a light lager.

Taste - Very light and watery. Sweet and adjuncty flavor. Hops flavor in this one ranges to none. It is pretty dry, crisp, watery, if that's your thing. All in all, very little beer flavor. Not offensive.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Probably a bit more watery than most lights. Mine seems a little flat.

Drinkability - It doesn't actively offend, so you could do worse. Lack of beer-like charactaristics, however, make this one strictly for the non-beer drinker. Taste borders on the ultralight (i.e. Mich Ultra, Bud Select).

2.28/5  rDev +25.3%

Here's my review on another big player. I give it a try and I hope that I would get sorta satisfied (really not sure yet...).

Appearance: It pours a dark straw yellow with a pour white head.

Smell: The usual macro aroma. Not much else to add here.

Taste: It tastes way too light for me. It seems to have reduced beer in water. It lacks flavour, but anyway its shy taste is too much macro for me.

Mouthfeel: It is watery, but compared to others light beers it is not that bad, it got some carbonation and mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I am happy to have reviewed this college classic, even if I would always find something else with more bang for my buck.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch