Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 511 | Hads: 1,935
2.6/5  rDev +34%

Rating this beer as terrible because it tastes like water is an injustice. It is what it is. Take a carload to the beach on spring break and you're in business. If you are relaxing for a night of sampling this isn't for you because it tastes like T Total shit. If you're trying to get wasted on a budget then what are your alternatives? I love beer with the best of them but you won't see me stumbling down the beach with a St. Bernardus anytime soon. I'll have a Natty Light thank you very much.

Appearance: Lighter than urine, darker than water.

Smell: See above

Taste: See above

Mouthfeel: See above

Drinkability: Have to be cut off to quit drinking this stuff.

Cheers (689 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -8.2%

man this beer sucks, and i actually poured it in a glass....
pours light clear yellow with a white head that vanishes better than houdini.
smells almost like nothing, maybe a tiny bit of yeast and a little bit of skunk's butt.
taste is just like the smell, almost nothing, very watery but there does seem to be a slightly bitter aftertaste.
mouthfeel is very thin and watery with a few bubbles.
despite how crappy this beer is, it is actually very drinkable. it's really cheap and goes down like water. low ABV makes it easy to drink all night. after a few it really does taste like water. if you drink a lot of it just beware that it has been known to cause a stomach condition on the following day known as the "natty splatties". (736 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -41.8%

In a 12 oz can. Not exactly willing to pour this, as it's a 'swill and drop' beer. I try not to smell it often, but it does have a metallic nose that fights somewhat with it's negligible grain scent. THe taste is more bite that it is hops and malt. The beer is light on the flavors it should have, and not at all smooth. A staple at PSU Fraternity parties, and what one must drink if they want to drink for free. (412 characters)

2.34/5  rDev +20.6%

One of the palest beers I have ever seen. Seltzer-like carbonation, non-offensive. Cheap alternative to Bud Light, etc. Surprisingly drinkable and refreshing. Low-cal if you are worried about that sort of thing. Pros: cheap, light, refreshing. Cons: boring, macrobrew, pitifully plain, flavorless. (297 characters)

2.27/5  rDev +17%

This basically is a cheap summer party brew to impress your buddies at how much you can funnel before you throw up all over yourself, sleep in the street, and wind up missing your eyebrows.

Not offensive, slight metallic taste, low on the typical cooked veggie. Somehow clean and crisp, like drinking a beer flavored water. A hot beach, a cooler, and a lawnchair. Certainly one can't be bringing any Olde Schoool barleywhine to the beach unless they want to wake up floating in the middle of the ocean. (505 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +23.7%

I cannot believe i'm entering this as a review, but due to sheer volume of consumption that I accrued during this Holiday, I have to.

"Dad, we should pick up some Sam Adams before we get to the aunt's. She loves the Natty."

Oh no, they know you like the good stuff, and i'm sure they'll have at least something decent to drink.

(grumble, grumble)

At the aunt's: "You want a beer?" Of course, I answer ... assuming that she knows that I like real beer. She brings me a Natty Light. I'm obliged to give it a shot.

Well, yeah, its water ... and moreover, I had a good 6-8 of these with absolutely no buzz whatsoever. But I did like it better than my most recent Budweiser experience, only in that there's no taste instead of a shitty taste. I'd drink again if it was a) free b) a million degrees outside and c) free.

I've never experienced Mich Ultra and that's kin, but this truly tasted like beer seltzer water. Least it didn't give me a splitting tummy ache like it did the last time I drank it, 5 years ago or more. (1,034 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +59.8%

Natural Light is a good cheap beer. It would be unrealistic to expect NL to have the qualities of an expensive import or microbrew, so I'll try to judge it entirely on its own merits.

Color? It's yellow. End of story.

In my opinion, NL has a very faint "beer smell" that's neither bad nor good, more like..."neutral".

The taste can only be described as "extremely watery". The flavor (if you can call it that) isn't offensive, but it lacks any kind of character or distinguishing traits.

As far as mouthfeel goes, once again the key words are "extremely watery". Flat and dull.

Natural Light goes down very smoothly, so I think it has an above-average drinkability quotient. Perfect for outdoor drinking on a scorchin' hot day, but not a brew that you would serve if you're trying to impress a "beer snob". (823 characters)

I honestly do not understand the fascination w/ this absolute shitty beer. It seems it's almost always this @ college parties... IT SUCKS!!! Maybe it's because I don't flock to light beer like every single other spineless American, but there are so many other beers out there for the same price. If you're gonna go w/ cheap beer, get Pabst of Evil Eye or something. Don't torture yourself w/ awful light beers. (410 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance-very pale color with traces of gold, fizzy head that dissapears in seconds.

Smell-very clean, I really don't smell anything at all, maybe cooked veggies?

Taste-again it's really clean, there is virtually nothing here it's like drinking water.

Mouthfeel-too clean, there is nothing here, slight grainy aftertaste but you don't really taste much at all.

Drinkability-chug these like water, all they are good for, for everyone else, get a real beer!!

Overall-is this beer?!?! Doesn't have any beer characteristics. Cheap buzz is all it's good for, drink em like water, or get a real beer my friend. (621 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours a crystal clear yellow, the color of a nice wheatfield (which probably contributed no ingredients to this brew), with a mountainous white head that quickly receeded to a thin cloud across the top.

Aroma reminds me of opening that box of Lucky Charms that you opened a couple of months ago to eat all the marshmellows and forgot you put the rest of it back in the cabinet (try it with Shiner Bock, breakfast of champions!), mixed with a nice metallic aroma.

Taste seems a bit like those Lucky Charms, too, for a second, then it switches gears to that 'just-got-a-metal-filling-from-the-dentist' aftertaste. Crisp feel, about like half-flat sparkling water (haven't seen that around in a while).

If drinkablity means being able to swig this swill all night long with no regrets in the morning, it's a five... Well, maybe not the 'no regrets' part. If drinkability means being able to enjoy drinking this beer all night long, well, yeah... (951 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -43.3%

Appearance: Less color that piss. Like diluted corn or something. Small fizzy head.
Smell: Adjuncts galore.
Taste: More corn or rice than anything else besides water. It's disgusting but rates slightly higher than other beers of it's class because it has the least flavor of them all. It's discraceful that that makes it better.
Mouthfeel: Watery.
Drinkability: More drinkable than Beast and Stone, for what it's worth. (423 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -45.9%

Okay, apparently they decided they needed a "light" version of their already rancid beer. I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but this could possible be the worst tasting piss water in existence. I mean, thats what I thought it was. Then someone told me that I was drinking beer and I was like "HOLY SHIT?"

Seriously though, this is just as bad as Busch Light and Corona Light. They all reek of fermenting cereal grains and rat shit, and its actually a wonder why they taste like water and not sewage. (517 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -43.3%

This is quite possibly the worst American beer on the planet. I realize many people grow up on this stuff and everyone needs to start their beer drinking somewhere, but this shit is rancid. I myself used to drink this stuff by the bucket in my early college days, and in hindsight I should have just taken shots of something and saved myself the trouble. (354 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -42.3%

Well as much as I detest these beers, I was given one today, and as I always try to be polite, I accepted it, it’s been like 4 years since I sampled one, so what’s the harm.

The beer as it pours from the 12 ounce aluminum can, forms a transparent gold color with a bright white head and the lace a very thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is all malt, sweet, fresh and crisp to the senses, start is lightly sweet, some malt noticed, the top is cadaverous. Finish has a benign acidity, the hops negligible, very dry, guess its better than dying of thirst, but only barely. (576 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -38.1%

It's not easy to be worse than Natty Ice. But this beer has done it. The quality is bottom of the barrel. Clear light yellow with absolutly no head. The smell was non existant. The taste was very much like rice and a bit of a ginger ale taste. I couldn't finish the whole thing. Nasty stuff. (291 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a standard Macrobrew yellow, a bit darker than most lights.

Smell is sweet with some grain smells.

Taste is not much, a little sweet, and that is about all.

Mouthfeel is water.

Drinkable, there is nothing offensive or endearing about this brew at all. (269 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -7.2%

The "new" Natural Light (2/23/04): Nothing like re-reviewing the "Natty". This is the new version, the one with lower carbs, etc. Pours out slightly darker than the original version. Aroma is still that of cooked veggies and cereal. The taste is nearly non-existent, but is actually less metallic tasting than it used to taste, and although incredibly watery, its not offensive, because there isn't enough flavor pro or con to be offensive. Remarkably light, and made the Bell's Two-Hearted that followed seem like the most powerful beer ever.

Original Review (3/27/02): The absolutely lightest beer I have ever drank. Nearly see through in presentation in the glass after being poured. I couldn't find much flavor-wise other than a very, very, slight bitterness on the finish and I do mean slight. I actually poured out what was remaining as I just tasted bitter water and well, the Vernor's Ginger Ale in the refrigerator was calling me. Frat boy beer bonging beer at best. (978 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -7.2%

Natural light pours a straw yellow with no little to no head. The smell is downright potent, I can't tell what it is but it smells like rotten steak. The taste is what you would expect, very little, watery with a few hops present. In your mouth in has no pizazz, tastes like water. The only reason to buy this beer is for a cheap buzz and a weekend camping trip. You can pick up a case for 9 bucks so you can see why it is still around. This is a college man's beer, great for drinking games! (492 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -11.3%

Very unimpresive yellow with minimal head. Smell is equally unimpressive. When ice cold, this beer is easy to drink. The idea with this beer is to drink it fast, because it is hard to take down as it warms. The only reason to drink this disgreace of a beer is to get a cheap buzz. (280 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +51.5%

Not a bad beer at all if your looking for an inexpensive, refreshing, macro. The color and head retension leave something to be desired. But where I live the closest place to buy beer is 15 miles away and very expensive. So I often turn this direction to save money for a more desireable micro or import. (304 characters)

It is going to be hard to come up with ways to expound upon "Worst. Beer. Ever." when attempting to describe this brine, because I think that about says it all. Calling this beer watery is an insult to water. Light fizzy gold color with a weak white head. You'll find as much lacing with this beer as you would with a pair of Velcro sneakers. Aroma of mineral water. Weak, borderline insulting flavor and no finish at all. Why anyone would try to explain the virtue of being able to buy 30 cans of this to get hammered for a low price is beyond me. Spend a dollar more and get a beer with a bit of flavor that actually has some alcohol in it if that is your game. There is simply no reason for this to exist. (708 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -36.6%

Drank this straight from the can I was given (no i didn't buy it). Tastes metallic and grainy. Doesn't do a lot for the tastebuds. The carbonation is more overpowering than the flavor. It's just swill anyway, another I would say "don't buy" to. (244 characters)

Why is there no rating below 1.0? This beer is the stuff fratboy's vomit is made of. This beer is quite pungent with a odor like no other. It smells sort of like a dumpster at a very popular bar. I cant believe people actually drink this crap. After a glass full I cant take anymore. Color is like any other cheap domestic beer; golden and clear. I feel sick now and dont think I need to continue this review any further. My opinion is that this brew is un-drinkable. Pour it down the drain and save yourself from a horrible experience. (536 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -29.4%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever tried to drink. I think it is the second beer in my life that I poured down the drain because I couldn't gag it down. The experience is a loser from first pouring this pale yellow, almost headless. I found little smell so that makes the smell rate a little higher than any other category. The taste was terrible. This didn't even taste like beer. It tasted like what you would get if you poured beer through a dirty beer rag and then rung it out in your glass. I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to determine if it even had a mouthfeel. It was undrinkable. This was my college student daughter's attempt to bond with me by bringing me home what they drink at the frat parties. Please dear, no more favors of this kind. Hopefully, she'll never read this review. (816 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -33%

On tap at the last keg party i went to. Palest of yellows Natural light looks as if someone took half a pint of beer and half a pint of water and mixed them together. The smell was that of corn and slight metallic hints. It tastes thin and crisp but almost no flavor, totally bland, ugh. Never again. (300 characters)

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch