1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Natural LightNatural Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Ratings: 1,423 | Reviews: 474 | Show All Ratings:
mountsnow1010

Vermont

1.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes like crap. I like the occasional lighter beer as it is a refreshing change from the heavier beers - but this is simply revolting. Tastes like it was produced in a kettle that was coated with petroleum. Narsty. Drinkable due to low alcohol but suffers due to taste.

The only reason this is not all ones is my benchmark for all ones is Steel Reserve Hi-Grav, another beer I have had the misfortune of trying.

Avoid at all costs!

12-01-2010 18:16:44 | More by mountsnow1010
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured golden yellow (don't they all?) with a one finger white head that subsided to minimal almost instantly. There was no lacing anywhere to be found on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and skunk (literally). The flavor was of malt, rye, and wheat. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was WAY too bland on all levels. Used to be one of my staples in college, for this, I apologize to myself and promise never do that again.

08-17-2010 19:05:18 | More by thagr81us
jsprain1

1.9/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- Appearance is pale golden. Very little head on this one.
S- Husk, corn, faint hops.
T- Standard macro flavors. Corn, water, some DMS.
M- A little more substantial on tap, but still, it is too thin.
D- Made to be consumed by the litre. not a good beer by any means. Economy beer to the extreme.

08-10-2010 06:37:08 | More by jsprain1
jporf911

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Squirted from a keg into a blue SOLO cup.

Apperance- Almost entirely clear with a slightly pale-yellowish hue. It initially has a good, if a bit thin, head that quickly disappears. Hardly any lacing.

Smell- It has a smell, at least. That smell is primarily composed of weak corn, strong adjuncts, and metal.

Taste- Weak corn, strong adjuncts, and metal.

Mouthfeel- Thin, goes down easy if you can ignore the taste (or lack thereof).

Drinkability- See below.

This is the kind of beer that isn't even worthy of the name. It's so light that it's practically clear in color, tasteless in flavor, and limp in body. The only plus is its drinkability because it's as easy as drinking fizzy tap water, but even then, only broke-ass college kids with no taste, no style, and even less money would drink more than one of these; unfortunately, "Natty Light" is a popular choice of beer for keg parties and college bar runs. If you think this is beer, do us both a favor and close the browser window right now. If I could sum up this review in four short words, it would "YUCK BAD DUMP SINK".

07-11-2010 20:30:25 | More by jporf911
sluggermatt15

1.7/5  rDev +1.2%

Well this is your typical college party beer. Not really anything to write home about. I thought I would review it just for kicks.

A- Pours a straw yellow, very foamy without lacing. Looks identical to the color of urine. Not impressive one bit, awful.

S- Grainy, watery, a little hoppy. Nothing really impressive. Smells like a cheap beer lacking alcohol content.

T- Similar to how it smells - grainy, RATHER watery, and there is bitterness to it. You can sort of taste a small amount of hoppiness, but it is drown out by the wateryness of this beer.

M- Way too much carbonation for me. Doesn't hold well for a long time, forcing one to gulp it down.

D- This beer is pretty drinkable. I think one time at a party I had 6 cups of this in a couple hours and didn't feel anything. This is definitely a pound-it-down beer, meaning one can drink many and still drink more. This category is where the beer shines, if you want to call it that.

Overall, a cheap light beer. I'm not into light beer, but if this is all they have, then it's better than nothing. Though, I would probably take a glass of water over it any day of the week. I wouldn't ever drink this again.

06-26-2010 17:06:32 | More by sluggermatt15
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

On tap in a shaker pint. Ordered on a whim when I saw it was on special for a dollar.

Pours out exceedingly pale, with a wispy white head that was dying even as the server was walking it over to me. It disappears altogether very quickly, leaving something that looks like a glass of white grape juice. No lacing at all.

Perhaps I should be thankful there isn't a wonderful head to carry the aromas skyward, because they aren't exactly a treat for the nose. Watered down cooked mixed vegetables with a hint of sweet cereal grains.

Speaking of watered down, the taste of this "beer" is ridiculous. Watery with some vague sweet grain, perhaps a bit of cooked corn, a dash of skunkiness. Let it warm up at your peril, because it only gets worse from there.

If ever there was a beer in need of vigorous carbonation, this is the one. Sadly, it's damned near flat as a pancake by the time I've choked down half the glass.

I'm not one to bash on all fizzy yellow beers just because (see my reviews of Hamm's and Schlitz), but this stuff was wretched. When I told Ryan011235 I thought I paid $0.90 too much, his response was, "they should have paid YOU a dollar". That's probably the only way I'd ever drink it again.

04-30-2010 19:32:55 | More by PDXHops
boatshoes

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Hmm, Beer Advocate wouldn't let me choose beer bong as a serving type...just kidding, sort of. Actually...poured from a keg into our beer pitcher and thereafter into my solo cup for college pubnite...solo cup promptly has a keg cap dropped in it and I proceed to chug the first of a number of these for the evening. As much as Natty may have tried, it didn't keep me from graduating with flying colors this past May...though I should say Natty may have resulted in a number of other colors flying out of me at various times over the years...

Appearance- Pale, pale, pale jaundiced yellow as it slides its way out of the tap into our pitcher. Is this beer or watery-ass lemonade? Surprisingly it pours with about four fingers of massive, quickly dying head into our pitcher. Oh wait...this isn't surprising because this keg is self serve and no-one apparently knows not to over-pump the keg...regardless, the head is gone almost as soon as it appears, so maybe it was just a figment of my imagination anyway.

Smell- Mmmm, mmmm, smells like a big handful of corn and sweaty pocket change. Metal and adjunct is all I really get from the nose on this beast. Can't say I like it, but can't really say it has much a smell at all to be honest.

Taste- So, when I was a child I lived on a farm in the midwest and we had our own well. One time after coming back from vacation in the summer, the well had settled with a lot of iron and the water was hard as hell and tasted like it has been soaking in copper pennies. If you took that water, carbonated it, tossed in some lead paint chips, and added some cheap alcohol, that's pretty much Natty. Seriously though, this beer is watery and its primary flavors when they actually show through are corn, adjunct, metal, and an odd sickly sweetness. Bleh.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability-Well, if you like bad tasting carbonated water, then this is drinkable as anything else I guess...thin, nonexistent body and extremely high carbonation. One of the worst ways to get drunk...I'm glad I found BA by my sophomore year in college...

Overall, there's really no reason to drink this beer except to get drunk. And even at that, there are other better macros at the same price scale. Hope to never drink this beer again.

07-24-2009 01:32:13 | More by boatshoes
y2jrock60

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Wow, I cant believe I used to drink kegs of this at college parties.

A- Looked like someone pissed in a cup who drank a lot of club soda

S- It smells like old flat beer without any flavor

T- Watery with a hint of piss and stale grain, this beer tastes fake

M- Highly carbonated and bubbly

D- Used to drink a lot but I don't know how I did it. Maybe that's why I used hate beer

07-10-2009 06:24:55 | More by y2jrock60
x63x77

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

First off I would like to say. OH! I have consumed more of this beer by volume than any other (Football Weekends, generic house parties etc.). Never once did I think, "this is good". My usually thought was, "well, it's a free keg, why not". While tapped keg sitting in a bucket of ice on someone's porch is the most common arangement. I have also had this from the can, and I once saw a bottle, but avoided it like the plauge.

Tapped keg, red plastic party glass (For the record I never used a blue one).

Appearance: Watery, light yellow.

Smell: Awful, zero noise, with chemical and metallic undertones.

Taste: Absolutely terrible, the second worst beer I have ever drank, the only thing redeeming is if it gets really really cold, you can drink it without thinking about it.

Mouth Feel: Pure carbonation at first, this beer much have more CO2 in it than the exhaust system of a Hummer. By the end of the glass, absolutely flat.

Drinkability: Better than gasoline, but at 4.2% really avoid it unless it is free.

06-21-2009 04:22:16 | More by x63x77
BirdFlu

1.83/5  rDev +8.9%

"Whats the point in even reviewing garbage?" I ask myself when the idea floats into mind to try these useless, inferior drinks.. But, alas.. sometimes you are forced to have half a cup of this sort of nonsense at a bbq simply while waiting for the good beers you brought for yourself to cool down.. it look slike straw yellow seltzer water.. smells like grain and adjunct, tastes like they added just the most remote level of adjunct possible to some water to produce the slightest hint of a flavor.. And the body, oh the body... so thin you wonder what sort of alchemy produced a liquid thats lighter than water.. I decided to have just a little bit of this because I though, "hey, what the hell.. I can review it on BA and wont be so thirsty waiting for my stone and flying dogs to cool".. I'd rather have just stayed thirsty.

05-26-2009 17:01:47 | More by BirdFlu
evilsoda

1.9/5  rDev +13.1%

Serving: Out of keg that was in trash can filled with ice and pored into red plastic cup

Appearance: gives pale yellow clear color with foamy head

Smell: None to speak of.

Taste: Like water with a hint of alcohol. Very low quality ingredients.

Mouthfeel: feels pretty watery

Drinkability: again, cause of it's water like characteristics, it's very easy to drink. Which is lovely if you're binge drinking

This is my preferred beer to get completely trashed off of, but I would never order it for any other occasion.

02-03-2009 01:24:14 | More by evilsoda
thekanna

Maryland

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow, just struggling for some color to distinguish it from water.

Smell: Smelling this is like trying to discern the smell of seltzer water. Faint yeasts, but nothing there to really notice.

Taste: This is like Corona Light Light. If you think Corona Light had no flavor, then imagine what this tastes like. Very faint malts and a metallic, cooked-veggie taste are there, but they're barely discernible because they're so diluted. Its ridiculous amount of carbonation tries to mask the fact that it has practically nothing. If Bud was your average Ford Focus, this would be like giving you a steering wheel, a broken transmission, and detached trunk full of dead squirrels. Start walking.

Drinkability: Chuggable, but even then I have a hard time chugging this because it's just so bad.

12-09-2008 04:36:36 | More by thekanna
magictrokini

1.48/5  rDev -11.9%

I feel like I'm stabbing an old friend in the back. This and Keystone Light got me through college. Even then, I knew this was piss. Clear, yellow, fizzy pee. The taste was palateable in large quantities as it was watered down corn meal and sugar. But it was 12 cans of for $3.99. Who cares, at least it wasn't Hamm's, right?

12-04-2008 23:17:09 | More by magictrokini

1.78/5  rDev +6%

I had this on tap on the Texas Treasure Casino Boat in Port Aransas, TX. They ran out of Miller High Life, so I was stuck with this.

It poured, looked, smelled, felt, and tasted like nothing in a glass. I even wondered if the bartender had given me water instead due to my intoxicated state....

but alas it was not water.

Avoid this one unless your on a seriously tight budget, or its all that's available. Even then, I'd find an excuse not to imbibe.

04-26-2008 09:36:58 | More by 1099
UDbeernut

1.73/5  rDev +3%

Very unimpresive yellow with minimal head. Smell is equally unimpressive. When ice cold, this beer is easy to drink. The idea with this beer is to drink it fast, because it is hard to take down as it warms. The only reason to drink this disgreace of a beer is to get a cheap buzz.

01-20-2004 23:25:43 | More by UDbeernut
raverjames

Why is there no rating below 1.0? This beer is the stuff fratboy's vomit is made of. This beer is quite pungent with a odor like no other. It smells sort of like a dumpster at a very popular bar. I cant believe people actually drink this crap. After a glass full I cant take anymore. Color is like any other cheap domestic beer; golden and clear. I feel sick now and dont think I need to continue this review any further. My opinion is that this brew is un-drinkable. Pour it down the drain and save yourself from a horrible experience.

12-11-2003 08:28:31 | More by raverjames
nomad

Kansas

2.23/5  rDev +32.7%

The preferred choice of the Sigma chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon, typical selection of a funny little school in the Pioneer Valley, and sponsor of numerous Northeast pong invitationals, the light that this beer exudes is illuminating, inspiring, and transcendent. I can hear the sound of ping pong balls bouncing, rugby boys cheering, and most girls shivering in disgust at the sweet nectar of the most natural of all lights. Though most often served cold, chillingly so, best results for quantifiably high and speedily fast consumption was to be found with in the room temperature, less than 24 hour-old, battered keg version.

It appeared like urinary matter, smelled like the room it was served in, tasted like hopefully nothing if you drank it fast enough, felt like a cold bubbly stomach and gastro-intestinal problem, but it drank well if you didn't know any better, and was too busy getting down to try to.

Sixth category: Memories - grand salad days but never again.

09-03-2003 17:11:29 | More by nomad
Ellbert

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

I was at a wedding reception and this is all that they had on tap. I never had it so I thought I would give it a try. I was not impressed. It poured a bright yellow gold color, with a head that was gone with the blink of an eye. there was much carbonation however, it looked like ginger ale. It tasted like seltzer water. I really could not taste much flavor at all. I would be able to drink many of these because it was like water. However, I would not want to.

06-29-2003 07:25:40 | More by Ellbert
JaxVol

Tennessee

4.74/5  rDev +182.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting inexpensive beer by Anheuser-Busch. Also low in carbs. Carbs are only 3.2 compared to Bud Light with 6.6 And the alcohol content is the same for both at 4.2. Good choice for beer drinkers who are diabetic. Can't tell the difference in Natural Light, Miller Light or Mich Ultra.

03-11-2014 22:24:00 | More by JaxVol
PantyHammer19

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev +87.5%

I bought a six pack of 16oz cans when I was starved on cash. Cost right around $4. Not a bad beer for the price and will get you a buzz. Around beer #3 my stomach began to rumble. As I opened beer #5 I got hardcore diarrhea and barely made it to the toilet.

You get what you pay for!

12-03-2013 10:36:44 | More by PantyHammer19
brewbattles

2.34/5  rDev +39.3%

We did a blind taste test with this beer against five other light american lagers to objectively determine which one is best. The beers were Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Light, Natural Light, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. You can check it out here:

11-08-2013 05:41:03 | More by brewbattles
AllForAugust

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Considering my proximity to the brewery, as well as the intensive distribution of this beer, I had the good fortune of selecting from a wide variety of serving options. Long necks, 12oz cans, 40oz screw tops, stubby bottles, tall boys, as well as draft were all available within walking distance of my home, but I felt rather keen to experience this beer in all its glory.

I soon found myself in the checkout line at a high traffic gas station in one of the more undesirable parts of a bustling college town waiting to pay for a luke warm, likely expired tuna salad sandwhich, a stale bag of corn chips, and, of course, a natty tall boy, which although normally 24oz, was this time 25oz, thanks to the good people at Anheuser-Busch.

And now, my fellow psuedo-intellectuals, we shall sit atop our high horses and snicker downward upon the lowly ass that is Natural Light.

A: Of course, I had the heart to pour this beer into a frosty pint glass; after all, I am not entirely cruel. The head was shockingly soapy, leaving a ridiculous amount of lacing for a beer in this category. No, wait, it's not lace, they're just ice crystals. The beer is freezing on the frosty glass (refreshing indeed...). The color is extremely pale and the opacity is next to none. I would not be surprised in the slightest if I could see clean through a fucking shark tank full of the stuff. However, this style is meant to be crisp and rejuvenating, and gravity tends to demean such qualities.

S: The smell hits the nose like a cool breeze barreling through the basement of a frathouse in the middle of winter on a particularly brisk morning after a party at the end of which, the last man standing forgot to shut the door before passing out cuddling his funnel and hose. Low hop character, and even lower malt presence attempt to mask the mineral-like hallmarks of a mass produced, forced carbonated beer.

T: I'm not going to bitch about the taste here. As far as this component of the review goes, less is more. This beer is purposefully bland so that it may appeal to the most consumers possible. I once attended a lecture by a McDonald's executive, during which he briefly discussed the amount of research that goes into making a consumable product "appetizingly bland" so that it could be consumed more often without becoming unappealing. In our world, fellow hopheads, this is known as palate fatigue. You wouldn't buy a 30 rack of barleywine for the same reason you wouldn't bring a single 12oz bottle of Natty to a cheese pairing.
The taste is reminiscent of a lager, and is very, very drinkable. "Lawnmower beer" as it were. Overall, I'd go as far as to say that when properly chilled, the taste is the redeeming feature of this beer.

M: Like tonic water, but less so. It fits the taste, but leaves want of more, which probably adds to the drinkability and the ability to pound an entire twelve pack and not feel completely disgusted by yourself.

O: I paid $1.39 for 25oz of easy drinking, low taste beer that I could slam quickly and not feel full and sleepy and that's what I got. If you refuse to drink this beer out of sheer snobbery, just remember that it has its place. I drank it, it went down easy, I feel slightly refreshed and not at all full. Well done, Natural Light. You're not terrible.

11-04-2013 19:07:39 | More by AllForAugust
bbluemzbeer

2.88/5  rDev +71.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The number one sold discount beer in United States. hops. It is first time tasting this beer. I will rating according light lager category.

Appearance: A very light yellow with a lot of carbonation

Smell: Like a American adjunct lager grainy.

Taste : barley some malts with some very floral hop character and bitterness. on rss then second then no taste with a clean finish. The old Wendy commercial where is the beer ? where the beer natural light ?

Mouthfeel Seltzer water feel to it,

Overall : Natural Ice’s distinction is that it's a beer most commonly seen in the US in a 24-packs being hauled out of a local grocery store by a college kids and older retired people on a budget. Have you seen natural light in six packs ?
Nothing offensive about natty light but you have to look hard find any taste to it. I am not going to trash natural light, again it has its place in college frat house and people hard on cash. I will stick with miller light and bud light which have more resemblance of a beer. The saving is not worth the quality you are giving up with natty light. For some of you out who buy natty light as long as you’re comfortable being spotted as a Natty Light drinker go an buy you some of this natty swill !

11-04-2013 17:14:26 | More by bbluemzbeer
dbrauneis

1.95/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some very faint lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Very light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy malts with moderate amounts of corn adjuncts and just a hint of sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of corn adjuncts and grainy malts with just a hint of grassy hops. Light amounts of bitterness that fades rather quickly.

M: Very light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp but watery.

O: This beer is very easy to drink and is refreshing but is not really interesting enough to want to have another. This would be a good beer for drinking on the beach, especially out of the 24 oz. can.

10-05-2013 23:44:06 | More by dbrauneis
Treath

3.96/5  rDev +135.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of an ice cold 24oz can into a glass mug. First time tasting it.

A- Clear pale yellow color. Lots of small bubbles streaming up. Two finger head that fizzles away to a ring of light foam. Looks good.

S- Light corn smell, biscuits, a little bit of malts. Clean water.

T- Very light corn taste up front with lots of carbonation. After swallowing, it has some malt notes and a tinge of grassy hop bitterness. Very clean watery taste.

M- Crisp, watery, light, high level of prickly carbonation, fresh.

Drinkability- Goes down extremely easy and smooth.

O- Overall, this is a very refreshing beer. Not offensive. It's perfect on a hot day or when feeling thirsty for a great light beer.

10-05-2013 00:28:31 | More by Treath