Follow our progress ...

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 530 | Ratings: 2,052
2.59/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Natural Light (A.K.A The bottom of the barrel beer.) When I first turned 21 this was my beer of choice, of coarse. Thus, proving the stereotypes right I guess. Since then my tastes have changed a little. After the Igloo cooler ran a little low after a night of golfing, I bought a few 25oz of this. I had one left over to do this review. The beer pours with a fluffy white head that didn't take long to dissipate. The beer itself was a light straw color that was almost transparent. The beer left no lacing in the glass to speak of, and there were little to no carbonization bubbles. It smelled like that normal American lager smell, sweet corn, grains, and water. The taste is very light. It's almost impossible to taste anything but water. All I can taste is bread, corn, and sweetness. It's not terrible but it's the most light beer that I have ever tasted. The beer is very smooth but that's the sacrifice with the taste. All I can really say about this beer is it's a Slammer Beer. Slam lots of them to get drunk. If someone is looking to enjoy the taste stay away from this beer. I think that's what makes this beer popular to kids. It's cheap, It's beer, and it tastes like water so you can keep slamming them down. I'll buy it again, but it's far from being one of my top beers anymore.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

I recently, prior to a party, saw a case of this for sale at an outrageously low amount of money. So I rationally thought that what the hell, it's a cheap macro lager - what could be so bad about it?

I'm writing this to let you know this is bad. It tastes like a generic macro lager left out for a few days. The carbonation is so flat, and the mouthfeel so light, that this just feels like slightly worsened dish water. This is not the worst beer I've had, but it's undoubtedly the worst light lager I've consumed - and probably the worst beer under 7% I've had.

Sweet Jesus. I love my light beers but this is gotta be the lowest of the lows. Natty Light is what the dollar store would sell if they opened a bootleg back room distillery maintained by the minions.

I used to drink this when I was 20, and didn't know any better. I just knew that it was a cheap light beer. I was at a horror convention recently, and the folks presenting the low-budget flick were giving out cans of Natty to the crowd in that 100-seat room. I raised my hand, and was tossed a can of NL. Upon cracking it, I remembered why I switched to decent & craft beer. That stuff tasted like water with a tiny smidgen of beer flavor. If you're just looking to get drunk, that's your beer. If you actually want to TASTE it.....look elsewhere......

2.27/5  rDev +24.7%

Serving: Can, from the can
Served: So many times I can't count, but not within the last 3 months. This beer somehow slipped through ALL the cracks

Appearance: Pours the lightest yellow imaginable with a billowy head that collapses to nothingness roughly as soon as your done pouring. Big carbonation visible.

Smell: Grass, creamed corn, roughage, sweet white bread.

Taste: About the same as the nose. Very much standard old boring beer. Very sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light body with big carbonation, quaffable in the extreme.

Overall: A terrible beer, but on that has its place (shotgunning and pong).

2.94/5  rDev +61.5%

Pours clear golden color decent white head that disappears to nothing.

Smell really not much here some malt stands out faintly.

Taste again not much a little sweet corn taste this is really not meant to be a very flavorful beer.

Feel very clean and crisp.

Overall this is not a very good beer I drink it when it is on sale in the summer and want something I can drink on all day at the beach.

1.06/5  rDev -41.8%

Wow. My grandmother drinks this. I was out of beer and she offered me one. I poured it into a pilsner glass. The head billows up but then as quickly as it came, it went leaving nothing but, well nothing. There was no lace to be had. The aroma was of corn and metal. Taste was corn and metal with some other chemical that is hard to place. Went down like water because that's what this is, it's water with yellow dye. Went right through me too, I was in the bathroom before long. I don't know how one could drink this beer because it certainly isn't beer, it's one of the last unexplained mysteries of the world. You could drink this all day and not get a buzz.

2.06/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from 12 oz can into pint glass

Appearance: a 1" white head falls quickly with some mild lacing. Color is very pale straw, moderate streaming carbonation.
Aroma: mild corn sweetness and grainy aroma.
Mouthfeel: pretty much like mineral water.
Flavor: very little, but some barley sweetness, corn, and a slight hop bite in the finish.
Overall: not offensive, but just very ordinary.

3.25/5  rDev +78.6%

A- Golden, yellow. The beer started with a fairly frothy head, but it died to about a pinky nail in width. I noticed legs on the side of the glass, but they fell fast. No lacing obviously. But this looks just like any other light style lager.

S- Smells just like Busch or Bud Light. It has that Anheuser-Busch adjunct, cooked veggie thing going on. Sweet and grainy too. But it does smell light and refreshing if that makes sense. Stereotypical beer smell overall is what I'm getting.

T- Corn and grains. There is a sweetness that I notice before the beer finishes. The finish is extremely dry. There might be a touch of a malt and an ever so slight bitter finish. But again it's the sterotypical beer taste. Nothing offputting, but it's not foul in anyway.

M- Light and watery, but very crisp, clean, and refreshing. The stuff drinks like water.

Overall this is a fine beer. It's not mind-blowing or life-changing. It's not meant to be any of those things. It's meant to be a cheap beer at a cheap price. And this a great beer to choose if you are short on cash.

4.11/5  rDev +125.8%

Oh yeah...natty light...the classic Go-To beer for this guy. Let me tell you when I crack a natural light it sounds like Matthew Mark Luke and John from the Bible singing a melody in my ears....straight up beer gospel buddy. Now when I take that first sip....boy oh boy do I get a feeling that I'm living the good life. I'm jumping into a pool of sunshine when i drink this beer. I literally get chills when i take the second sip. by the third sip, im already chugging because i cannot get enough of this delicious beer. Goes down smoother than butter on warm toast. I got a feeling me and natural light are gonna be in a journey together for the long run. Overall, this beer is the Go-to.

Single-handedly the worst beer I have ever had, this has barely any taste and it reminds me of drinking a can of 4/5ths of water 1/5ths of beer. Natural Ice is by far the better option and they both cost the same so do yourself a favor and do not buy this beer.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is, in my opinion, the epitome of a college party beer. It's cheap and lacking in a lot of what is needed to be a quality beer. I really don't have anything positive to say, so I'll end it here.

2.94/5  rDev +61.5%

Got a tall boy at the beer store yesterday. Straw color, with minimal lacing. Tastes like barley- flavored seltzer water. It' okay, I mean- it is a silly light beer. Added some lime juice and it was refreshing enough.

4.95/5  rDev +172%

well first off, let me start by saying that I'm in a frat that makes me automatically qualified to be an expert on beer. I like to get fucked up. Period. Ive been drinking since I've been thirteen, and I'm fucked up right now. good beer

3.5/5  rDev +92.3%

Best of the light beers so I will rate it as such. My reasoning for why I say best of the light beers: They are all awful so this one doesn't even try to be a beer-it's easy to drink and it's cheap. So in this context I really don't understand the low ratings.

Best bang for your buck if you are on a tight budget.

3.18/5  rDev +74.7%

I only buy this when its on sale, and around here it gose on sale quite ofton. i normaly do not drink light beer as have to drink twice as mutch to get the job done. but when working on my mod it is a good beer to have without getting fully hammerd.

it looks like a typical AB light beer and taste like a typical AB light beer. this was the go-to beer for my alcohalic dad who would drink 3 cases of light beer a day. it smells allright and is not unpleasent or pleasent.

2.12/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Cheapest of the light beers so why not. they all taste look and feel about the same. why pay for miller lite advertising when you can get basically the same thing for 10 buck less per 30 pack

1.76/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The initial pale color darkens up just a bit after the pour, but only to the level of, say, weak apple juice. There are bubbles, so I know it is carbonated, but less so than even a soda. The "head" disappeared faster than your average soda, and the lacing is, well, nonexistent as a result. My smell evaluations fall between "meh" and "that's nice" about 90% of the time, but this is offputting on the nose, a rare and unwelcome occurrence. Bizarrely, the taste may be the most redeeming feature. There's some degree of complexity in the grossness on your tongue before an oily, gross feeling is left after you swallow. I'm glad to have gotten my tick, but, well, gross. I could see a beer being worse, but not by much.
P.S.: How many people do you think followed up Edmund Fitzgerald immediately with a Natty Light?

1.95/5  rDev +7.1%

For the style, Natural Light represents fairly well. Unfortunately, the style is bland, terrible beer, and in that regard, Natty Light is still a bland, terrible beer.

3.47/5  rDev +90.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

As im sure most impartial beer lovers on here know, the average BA user rates with a "All Beer created equal" stand point. However this is simply not true. This is a light American style lager, that means that there are not going to be complex flavors, citrus after taste or anything of its liking. Its not the style of American light beer.

That being said, rating this beer against other American lights- it is fine. Incredibly refreshing, goes down similar to water (which is what its made to do) and has the perfect amount of hops and "beer flavor" for its average consumer. Look and smell are both bad. This is a session beer. This is a -have 6-8 a night- beer. Would defiantly not turn this beer down at a party or at family/friends house. Probably would not buy or order at a bar, but it is a mediocre light beer.

The only thing this beer is good for is when using in drinking games, as you don't really need to enjoy the beer then and just need to drink quick. If you're not an undergrad, please don't buy this beer. Ever.

1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

The redeeming characteristic of this beer is not that it has good qualities but rather the lack of bad qualities or possibly the lack of any qualities.
This is the only BMC light that doesn't give me a headache or digestive upset, You can slam down a 12er on a hot summer day and bounce right up and get to work the next morning. Other than that there is not much positive to say.

4.04/5  rDev +122%

For all the light beers out there and the cheap price of this, it is perfectly fine. It smells gross but with the low alcohol content and smoothness, you could easily drink this while eating food, having one at a friends, tailgating, etc. Very good light beer. Do not understand the hate

Good old Natty Light. I do not think that I have ever actually purchased one of these, rather have had a few after I ran through my beer on the golf course and my friend Danny didn't want to see me give up on a buzz, or just wanted to make sure my score continued downhill. Nonetheless, it's a beer only in the sense of governmental guidelines, I'm sure. Taste has the faintest corn mixed in with minerals rounding it out before the bitter finish of what can only be described as a once proud presence of alcohol that is only a passing relic in the experience.

4.2/5  rDev +130.8%

This beer isn't meant to compete with any of the top stuff here.... it's just a cheap, light beer that you can throw in a cooler and have on a hot day before the game or when you're grilling - and for that it's perfect. I always have a few in my fridge when I'm looking for something light. Brings back memories too :)

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch