Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,947
1.76/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The initial pale color darkens up just a bit after the pour, but only to the level of, say, weak apple juice. There are bubbles, so I know it is carbonated, but less so than even a soda. The "head" disappeared faster than your average soda, and the lacing is, well, nonexistent as a result. My smell evaluations fall between "meh" and "that's nice" about 90% of the time, but this is offputting on the nose, a rare and unwelcome occurrence. Bizarrely, the taste may be the most redeeming feature. There's some degree of complexity in the grossness on your tongue before an oily, gross feeling is left after you swallow. I'm glad to have gotten my tick, but, well, gross. I could see a beer being worse, but not by much.
P.S.: How many people do you think followed up Edmund Fitzgerald immediately with a Natty Light? (823 characters)

2.15/5  rDev +10.8%

For the style, Natural Light represents fairly well. Unfortunately, the style is bland, terrible beer, and in that regard, Natty Light is still a bland, terrible beer. (167 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +78.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

As im sure most impartial beer lovers on here know, the average BA user rates with a "All Beer created equal" stand point. However this is simply not true. This is a light American style lager, that means that there are not going to be complex flavors, citrus after taste or anything of its liking. Its not the style of American light beer.

That being said, rating this beer against other American lights- it is fine. Incredibly refreshing, goes down similar to water (which is what its made to do) and has the perfect amount of hops and "beer flavor" for its average consumer. Look and smell are both bad. This is a session beer. This is a -have 6-8 a night- beer. Would defiantly not turn this beer down at a party or at family/friends house. Probably would not buy or order at a bar, but it is a mediocre light beer. (821 characters)

The only thing this beer is good for is when using in drinking games, as you don't really need to enjoy the beer then and just need to drink quick. If you're not an undergrad, please don't buy this beer. Ever. (209 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -16%

The redeeming characteristic of this beer is not that it has good qualities but rather the lack of bad qualities or possibly the lack of any qualities.
This is the only BMC light that doesn't give me a headache or digestive upset, You can slam down a 12er on a hot summer day and bounce right up and get to work the next morning. Other than that there is not much positive to say. (382 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +108.2%

For all the light beers out there and the cheap price of this, it is perfectly fine. It smells gross but with the low alcohol content and smoothness, you could easily drink this while eating food, having one at a friends, tailgating, etc. Very good light beer. Do not understand the hate (287 characters)

Good old Natty Light. I do not think that I have ever actually purchased one of these, rather have had a few after I ran through my beer on the golf course and my friend Danny didn't want to see me give up on a buzz, or just wanted to make sure my score continued downhill. Nonetheless, it's a beer only in the sense of governmental guidelines, I'm sure. Taste has the faintest corn mixed in with minerals rounding it out before the bitter finish of what can only be described as a once proud presence of alcohol that is only a passing relic in the experience. (560 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +116.5%

This beer isn't meant to compete with any of the top stuff here.... it's just a cheap, light beer that you can throw in a cooler and have on a hot day before the game or when you're grilling - and for that it's perfect. I always have a few in my fridge when I'm looking for something light. Brings back memories too :) (318 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured an almost clear, slightly yellow color with a lot of fizz. The smell was very faint with only some rice scent. The flavor was little to nothing with some rice soda flavor at the finish. Not too crazy about what is basically iced beer tea. (245 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -1%

I'm going to try to give this an objective review. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's out of a sense of duty, given the connection I have to this beer through my college experience. Well here goes.... Picked up a single 16 oz. can at the corner gas station. Pours in to a Craft Beer Exchange pint glass with a thin, fizzy head that dissipates almost instantaneously. The exceptionally pale, translucent, yellow beer affords a good look at the bubbles streaming to the surface. Without them, it would appear completely lifeless and stale. I was going to talk about the aroma, but there is none. I accidentally dipped my nose in to the beer while trying to get close enough to detect...anything. Traces of pale malts and a vague "beer" smell. That's about it. The taste? Almost nothing there either. It is so mild and nondescript that I would hesitate to label the flavor. Perhaps a faint aftertaste of creamed corn. With a watery mouthfeel, average carbonation and an exceedingly thin body, it makes you wonder why. Why would anyone voluntarily buy this? Why even bother? I guess the answer is found in my college dorm days. My roommate's dad worked for Anheuser-Busch, and the college was located just outside of St Louis. So, if you use your imagination, I'm sure you can envision that this was NOT a good combination for a freshman living out of state. I managed to wallpaper the entire ceiling of our room with the case labels. But, as cheap as each 30-pack was, it exacted a much higher price in the form of poor judgment, embarrassment, and legal fees for my drunken escapades. The moral of the story? Drink this beer only if it's free. But be prepared to be completely uninspired, possibly nauseated, and maybe even arrested. (1,727 characters)

2.1/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

If there were a category for use versatility ( ipecac, projectiles) and sheer memories from the days of yore where a case of this was like having a briefcase full of nudie mags, I would not put that amorphous glob into the overall, but what can I do? Beer is a social drink, and this brand did a lot of the breaking in of life and my place in it during my formative years.... (375 characters)

1.02/5  rDev -47.4%

I started drinking craft beers about 6 years ago. I'm 29 now. I used to drink Bud Light as a college student, but I would always avoid Natural Light. I can't drink anything from A-B these days. We actually keep this in stock at the hospital pharmacy I work at for alcoholics who have to have a beer each day during their stay. I pretty much have to apologize for handing this swill out. (389 characters)

Even as a broke college student I avoided this sorry excuse for a beer like the plague. It baffles me how anyone could take a look at the finished product and think it's good to bring to market. Even as a beer pong beer it fails; especially when coors light is a better option.

Looks: Dull yellow, just on examination you can tell that you're in for a world of hurt.
Smell: mildly sweet with a small hint of rice. Not in a good way like a Japanese red ale, but like cheap, mass produced garbage.
Taste: At first it's pungent and nearly undrinkable. Then it becomes slightly dull and tastes of tea made from the contents of a lawnmower bag with a pack of sugar.
Mouth feel: every synapse in your brain fires off as you are overcome with a sense of agony. Your body wants to reject it, but you fight against yourself and take the gulp. By the end of the can you want to cry.

I would advise against this beer. (913 characters)

I sit down with an ice cold can, and only the purest thoughts of alcoholic absolution run through my mind. Cracking open the top and listening to the hiss of the carbonation, I'm immediately transported to a land of verdant, rolling hops and ice cold mountain streams. Indeed, this is a beer meant for kings and gods, that much is apparent from the outset. A routine pour reveals a beer steeped in ineffable majesty. The cascading, golden lager results in sumptuous suds, with a head that literally begs for a deep, long drag from the dry gulch of the thirsty everyman. Beer meant for men, and not much else needs to be said. Brewers can do it right, or do it wrong, and Natural Light hits a slam dunk every time. I love this beer more than I love pizza. (760 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

look: pale yellow, not as bad as it could be... 1.75

smell: smells bland yet sugary and sweet like fruit 1.75

taste: tastes nice for a bottom shelf however aftertaste strikes quickly, nasty 1.5

mouthfeel: best out of all bottom shelves I have had, on the lower side of medium full, carbonated and delivers a slight slight bite 1.75

overall I will give this a 1.75 nice terrible light low end brew (403 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +96.4%

Throw few thousand pet food bags a night, stop by the store get a couple 25's slam em, wake up do it all again. The way this beer is supposed to be enjoyed! (156 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very pale yellow color. Head starts off thick looking like soft drink carbonation thinning to very thin, but not completely disappearing. Smells like what you'd expect, watered down fermented corn. Not much taste at all and is quite dry on the mouth. (258 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -24.7%

I was in town, had one mission to complete (pick up two pizzas for my friend's kids), and lots of time on my hands. So I was bored. Sue me. (no, don't.) I saw a six pack of Natural ("Natty") Light just chilling lonely in the bargain brew section. $4.49, I figured...why not. How bad can it be? It's an Annheuser-Busch product, if anything it's just a little worse than Busch Light.

I'm here to tell you, this swill is baaaaad. Like whoa, bad. Laugh out loud bad. It's drinkable, yes, but throw taste out the window, it tastes like garbage.

Appearance (2) : It actually pours a head. Surprising. The body is the clearest beer I have ever seen. It's like bad municipal city water.

Aroma (1.75) : tin, grain, washed out corn, light floral, watered down steamed rice.

Flavor (1.5) : None. Well okay. It's a rush of tin and metal, with a malt liquor-type of alcohol burn, followed by the faintest hint of malted grain. And when I mean faint, I mean faint. That is it for flavor, that is as descriptive and as thorough as I can be. So there you have it.

Mouthfeel (1.5) : Fizzy, stabbing carbonation and a watery wash. It drinks easy, though.

Overall (1.46) : I can already feel myself getting a headache from this and I'm only a half of a can in. Can I rename this beer to "liquid metal"? It might sell better that way and at least they're being honest about the taste. The belches have more flavor than the beer itself. So in closing this beer is close to the worst I've ever had in my life. If you truly hate yourself you'll buy and drink this beer. It really truly is, pure garbage. I may honestly use the rest of the six pack for target practice on the range. (1,667 characters)

I picked up some because money was low, Holiday Season. I was used to craft beer, not this! Just about as close to water as you can get. No taste, no head, what else can I say. Will not be purchased again! (208 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -35.6%

Went to a friends house to watch football last night and he had a case of this. Never had one before and I never will again. The worst swill I've ever put in my body. It is reminiscent of a drink that you drank most of but there's a few sips at the bottom mixed with the ice water and you try to drink that watery crap. I could barely finish the can and could not drink another until I had 4 16oz of PBR. It was that bad. The color really looks like faint yellow piss, what head the swill has flattens in seconds, the immediate taste is watery beer and the lingering flavors are of aluminum and morning breath. I wouldn't touch this ever again willingly. (654 characters)

One of the worst beers I've ever tried. This beer is completely watery with a slightly metalic flavor on the finish. Really, this beer is so watery and nasty tasting, it's hard not to be impressed with AB's ability to fashion such a bad beer. Even by AB stanadards, this stands out as a particularly awful effort. (316 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -22.7%

Look, I was desperate in college. That's all I have to say. Whatever got me drunk while paying $10 for a 30 pack is a beer I'd drink. This watered down dog pee is, and will stay in my tastebuds forever. Recently, I came across a Natty Light in a friend's refrigerator. Poured out of a can into a pint glass.

I will say, it is a very easy beer to drink. At only 4.2%, no wonder why it attracts so many young drinkers that haven't developed the taste for craft brews. To be honest, there was no smell I can detect. Tastes just as it smells with a slight hint of corn and light malt. Pale yellow body with a thin head that dissipates within 20 seconds.

Nasty stuff. On par with good ol' Keystone Light as the worst beer I have ever drank. (738 characters)

Pours a crystal clear straw color with a small head that leaves no lacing down a 16oz pub glass.

Smell is fairly weak of a lager yeast and adjunct grain malts.

Taste is pretty much same as nose, with the grain malts and classic american lager dry crispness.

Mouthfeel is really watery but has good carbonation like a soda.

Overall, not gonna set the world on fire but it is defiantly refreshing on a hot day after mowing the grass. My dad left one at my house a couple of weeks ago while watching the ballgame and I grew up drinking this so I figured I would give it a review. Defiantly not the worst beer I have ever drink but sure leaves room for improvement. (675 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +28.9%

I purchased it in the cans and put in the fridge for the nephews who like it (they "pick things up and put them dowen") since it's low calorie and they're on the younger side of beer appreciation. I had one cold from the fridge and found it quite inoffensive. In fact so devoid of anything that it was quite refreshing, like Busch, or water, and I can see how it would be a good session beer, and why it's popular with the frats. No smell, no taste except a quick crisp carbonation that quickly dissipates, no odd aftertaste (I'm talking about you Narragansett) , just an easy 4.2% ABV beer. It's like stretching out for the real game, or coming in the the home stretch after. No offense. No foul. Lots of descriptive reviews here making up offenses, but really it is almost as inoffensive as Ultra Light, where you suspect it is take calories out of your body, like some kind of flavor vacuum. In fact I'm so content with its neutrality I'm upping my rating to a true beige medium of 2.5. (991 characters)

OKAY. I was hiking in Colorado when I had this, as an explanation.

Hot day, right on - I had a little flask of Windsor Canadian with me (a rare thing, I view liquor as merely a wasted chance to have a beer, but sometimes you're in situations where you need a little to go a long way), and it came to pass that one of the guys hauled out a few cans of Natty that he'd been toting. He kindly offered to share, but we gave them a while in a nearby stream to cool down a bit first.

Look man, perhaps obviously by posting here, I love beer. Love it, nearly all of it, and I do my best to keep an open mind and leave the snobbery aside.

But even given that I love beer, given that it was hot, I was tired, and would have pronounced a cold can of Budweiser the equal of Westvleteren XII (not that I've ever had the latter) on that day, this is some terrible beer right here.

There's just NO reason for it to be as utterly thin, tasteless and generally bad as it is. I mean, they could care a LITTLE bit about what they put in cans, it seems to me. (1,060 characters)

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch