Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,988
2.18/5  rDev +19.8%

CANtastic! Yet another opportunity to review a CANned beer!

I got a finger of fluffy, bone-white head that slowly fell to wisps. Nose had a cereal quality along with a light lager sweetness. Just one more among many. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was watery thin with a mild sweetness on the tongue. Finish was thin, lightly dry, generally underwhelming. Why bother?

1.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Dude did you just STEAL that can from that guys house? Oh yes you did! Into a nonic pint glass you go.

Off the pour, this thing nearly looks like water, hits the glass with a very straw yellow and crystal body, would probably be even more faint if I actually poured this in a real pilsner glass. Head is really weird in formation, forms like a white meringue, but not too large with lots of snapping and falls pretty quickly. Giant FAT cola bubbles everywhere, on the glass, rising, is this soda?

Nose on first sniff is rank. Smells like classic creamed corn (DMS). God it's awful and also real buttery in a diacetyl way. I am afraid to even try this.

Sweet grainy malts, with much if coming only in the aftertaste and swallow. This beer really tastes.. like nothing upon first quaff. A bit wet and also seltzery with a weird tight carbonation. The only surprise is that it doesn't taste like it smells which I am thankful for, mostly because it really has no taste at all.

Light it is, horrible too. Yikes just putrid. I try these things once in awhile to see what I am missing sometimes. Obviously not much. The sad irony is you probably couldn't even drink enough of this to get drunk.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%

Welcome everyone to the College Light Invitational! In this meet, four watered down beers meet their match to decide which one of these budget light beer should be the choice at frat parties. Natty Light, High Life Light, Keystone Light, and cheap import Tecate Light represent the pool in this competition. Natty Light leads it off...

Oh and one other thing, the gimmick for the College Light Invite involves a seperate 7 ounce glass. Why you ask? I'm going to take shots of each beer in that glass to guesstimate each ones "chuggability" (similar to the "buzzability" in the College Invite a few months ago). I'm going to time each shot from each beer, and if it doesn't come out of my mouth, it will get a score from 1 to 5. With that said, let me pop the top of Natty Light and let's get the college party started:

I couldn't tell if this was beer or watery ginger ale at first. I must be the first consumer of Natty Light in months to pour his sample into a clear glass. A sizeable head rises from the clear, colorless body, and crackles slowly within seconds. Smell is extremely vague, a touch of sweet corn, and that's it. The taste, as expected, is very watery. Odd fermented corn flavor exists in this one too, just like in the more lethal Natty Ice. It blankets on the palate for too long, making it very unpleasant. Wow, I'm having second thought about taking a long 7 ounce shot of this, it's hard enough to keep a straight face after each sip.

Now I will attempt to chug this vile liquid from the 7 ounce glass. Ok, here goes... run away! I spat it out when I tried. So you guess it, Natty Light's chuggability rating receives a N/A, incomplete. Funny, I couldn't even get buzzed off Natty Ice because it was so awful, I couldn't finish it, which also received an incomplete in the College Invite. I guess apples don't fall far from the tree.

Natty Light has sunk my experience on BA to new lows. After this experience, I had to break out a bottle of EKU 28 to ease the pain. So will Miller High Life Light be enough to erase the bad memory from tonight? Find out tomorrow night, the second part of the College Light Invitational.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I've had worse.

Straw pale yellow, clear pour. Watery. Head up front, soapy. It leaves

Stale corn husk aroma. Sweet sweat socks.

I suppose for the style, this flavor is off just a bit. Bland corn husk, dirty socks, vinegar. Harsh. Ick.

It does have carbonation, which is a life saver for this beer. Without it, the staleness of the malt flavor would linger too long. Well, it does anyway, but it would be even longer

Tallboy can,

A: Pours a transparent yellow with a fizzy white head with poor retention, very light soapy lace.

S: Carbonic acid, mild mild grain notes.

T: When I first had this I remarked it's the first beer I ever had that didn't taste like anything. 5 years later it still doesn't. Seltzer water is the main flavour profile, with a infinitesimally small note of malt flavour. Not off-putting, just nothing there.

M: Very light-bodied, forced carbonation, like soda water.

D: It claims to be a pilsner on the label, so I will review it as such. Boring and insipid. I can see why folks go for this just trying to get a buzz; it's so innocuous because it's basically alcoholic seltzer water.

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%

First off, let me say I am reviewing this for the folly of it all. I got it from my fridge and who knows where it came from or how long it had been there.

A. Poured from a 12 oz can into a frosted mug. Palest yellow with some head that sticks around and shows some lace. Not a terrible start.

S. Takes a dive in the smell. Smells like garbage. The kind thats been sitting out for quite some time. I'm in for a bad one.

T. Extremely light. A watered down beer experience. Starts off grainey with a bit of a corn taste, a slight bitter note is barely noticed which must be some sad attempt to hop this beer. Finishes off slightly metallic.

M. Just like water. A bit bubbly like watered down seltzer water.

D. This can be drank and is by a devoted crowd of poor college kids. I am not impressed. In fact, I'm disappointed....in myself...for drinking this.

1.78/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a standard Macrobrew yellow, a bit darker than most lights.

Smell is sweet with some grain smells.

Taste is not much, a little sweet, and that is about all.

Mouthfeel is water.

Drinkable, there is nothing offensive or endearing about this brew at all.

Pours a yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, very little hop note. The taste is malty, slight hop note. Light Body, not much going on here. Not Drinkable, would not buy again.

One of the worst beers I've ever tried. This beer is completely watery with a slightly metalic flavor on the finish. Really, this beer is so watery and nasty tasting, it's hard not to be impressed with AB's ability to fashion such a bad beer. Even by AB stanadards, this stands out as a particularly awful effort.

2.65/5  rDev +45.6%

Poured a very light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

Th smell featured a light sweet corn malt with a smattering of hop, maybe.

The taste consisted of a seltzery boiled corn with some weak balancing hops. Not all that offensive actually.

The mouthfeel was thin and ultra carbonated.

Overall not the worst light beer I have had, but not really recommended.

2.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Weak or pale yellow in color that has little head and no lacing. Another light lager that smells of yeast and possibly corn. Fits the style, and that is a sad truth. Light (non-existent) body, but crisp. Wouldn't recommend for anyone who wants to enjoy a beer with body, but it does the trick for getting drunk very cheaply.

Pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy white head that immediately fades. No lacing.

Funky(not in a good way) aroma with lots of grain and an odd metallic presence. Lots of corn and stale hops along with very faint malt.

Flavor is identical to the aroma. Very thin and watered down with an odd metallic flavor along with sweet, grainy corn, stale hops and pale malt. Very unpleasant and even though it is very light and watery, I'm still having a hard time choking it down.

This beer is absolutely awful and doesn't have one positive quality. One of the worst beers I've ever had.

2.52/5  rDev +38.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very faint, maybe some hints of beer? Taste is like the smell, water with just a touch of beer. Basically no flavor here. Feels light in the mouth and is drinkable due to it's lightness. Overall there is nothing to recommend about this beer.

2.79/5  rDev +53.3%

From can no. 30JUL-MZ46 sampled on January 15, 2012. It is fifteen degrees outside so I placed this can on my front step to really chill it down naturally. Natural Light? Natural cooling? Why not? I review these on their style not on their reputation.

So it pours yellow with carbonation angst and a foamy head. The head fades fast. It looks like it supposed to. Aromas of barley malt, cereal, light yeast, and clean hop note. Better than anticipated but still very typical. The body is thin and watery. The taste is grainy with a slightly unexpected dry finish. Still nothing extraordinary. All in all a typical light macro lager.

1.32/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

You must be this broke to drink . . .

To call this beer yellow, would be a compliment. I picture them making this, pouring 6 oz of Bud Light into 6 oz. of water.

Aroma, nothing, taste, almost nothing, some aluminum and corn/rice aftertaste, no mouthfeel to speak of, but hey, its cheap and drinkable, since its really just water.

Pours an yellow, fizzy color with a head that doesn't last. Taste is somewhat watery with only a mild corn background. Definitely tastes like drinking fouled water. For being one of A-B's "budget" beers, I'm not too shocked. If you like your beers to go down easy and taste like nothing, this beer's for you.

1.55/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

There is almost nothing that distinguishes this from water. I am not going to really get it into the beer - I think the fact that is a substandard Macro light lager on the cheap (read: they make this for people who can't afford Bud Light) should tell you what to expect. This is smoother and not as strong on the tongue than Natty Ice, but that's why it is light. I guess if you want to be able to drink for a long time w/o feeling the effects mentally or financially, this is your beer.

I drank this from a can.

This is piss colored, carbonated, light gold with a bad white head and no lacing.

It smells like skunky beer.

It tastes like skunky beer too. I drank this a lot back in the day when I didn't know any better, now its the worst thing imaginable.

1.12/5  rDev -38.5%

Well as much as I detest these beers, I was given one today, and as I always try to be polite, I accepted it, it’s been like 4 years since I sampled one, so what’s the harm.

The beer as it pours from the 12 ounce aluminum can, forms a transparent gold color with a bright white head and the lace a very thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is all malt, sweet, fresh and crisp to the senses, start is lightly sweet, some malt noticed, the top is cadaverous. Finish has a benign acidity, the hops negligible, very dry, guess its better than dying of thirst, but only barely.

2.1/5  rDev +15.4%

A-Fizzy light yellow color. Head rises and dies. Tons of bubbles and clear as day.

S-Ultra watery. Macro smell behind the blatant lack of smell.

T-One of, if not the most watery beers I have had. Then there's the macro smell.

M-Yeah, its watery with the only distinction coming from the intense carbonation.

O/D-Super light. Easy to put back endless amounts of these. I actually prefer the lack of taste to more Macro taste.

1.03/5  rDev -43.4%

This is what hell tastes like.

Pale, watery, dirty yellow look to this. Could pass as urine easily.

Smells fortunately like nothing. Given what it could smell like, this is a plus.

Tastes like creamed corn, overcooked vegetables, and seltzer water. No hop character. No malt character. Just no character of any sort. A big 0.

Light bodied, sort of crisp mouthfeel, gets real nasty when it warms up.

You could waterboard me with this stuff and I'd probably enjoy it more than drinking it.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

The last time I had a Natty Light, I was trying to bounce a ping pong ball into a red Solo cup at the other end of the table. Natty Light is one of those beers that you drink because it's super cheap. It tastes like water that's been filtered through an old, rusty pipe. Nobody enjoys it, nobody likes it. They drink it because it goes down like Aquafina and they're still technically drinking "beer". But this is far from beer.

So pale of a straw color that it might as well be clear. Mild chill haze. No aroma... Oh, wait... I think I'm getting something... Smells like metal and corn. My favorite. Tastes a little like metal and corn, too. Very grainy and watery. It isn't so much offensive as it is basically nonexistent by any "beer" related metrics. Very nearly no smell, taste, color, and the mouth feel is akin to tap water with some carbonation. Overall, I'd suggest going to bed thirsty before wasting your time and money on this stuff. Yuck.

1.73/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a light straw color with a surprisingly small fizzy white head. The head fades quite fast leaving very little lacing and a thin layer of foam on the top of the brew.

Smell – The aroma is very light overall, but nothing is really off about it. It consists of a mix of bready, caramel and corn sugar smells.

Taste – The taste begins with a very watery light bready taste with a bit of caramel and corn. The corn grows stronger while the malt and caramel flavors grow weaker. Some flavors of a more paper and metallic flavor hit the tongue toward the middle and the end leaving a very dry and off aftertaste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is very weak and watery with a carbonation level that is slightly on the higher side. Overall pretty appropriate for the style, but noting too exceptional.

Overall – Well… It is considered a frat brew beer for a reason. Cheap, cheap, cheap and not one to go to if you are looking for something with flavor, but if looking to party with and colleged aged then maybe… I'll leave it to others though.

1.93/5  rDev +6%

I had a friend hand me one of these at a cookout last night and was ready to hold back the gagging...turns out this stuff was just like Busch light with a little more sweetness and more cooked corn husk. Review is my old can review otherwise.

Well, it still looks like someone who's really, really well-hydrated peed in a glass. There's a thin film of foam that stays around.
Definitely dirt on the nose...like hemp or potting soil. Overcooked vegetable adds to the assault and very, very light adjuncts are detectable.
Some kind of grains are there, along with some metal and the cooked vegetable that's in the nose. Are there hops and malt? I don't know. There is some sort of artificial-seeming sweetness, though.
Mouthfeel is almost negligible. It's kind of like seltzer water. But, hey, it's crisp. And I guess it's smooth. Somewhat more drinkable than I remember.
It is what it is, but it's not as nasty as I remembered.

1.43/5  rDev -21.4%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured golden yellow (don't they all?) with a one finger white head that subsided to minimal almost instantly. There was no lacing anywhere to be found on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and skunk (literally). The flavor was of malt, rye, and wheat. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was WAY too bland on all levels. Used to be one of my staples in college, for this, I apologize to myself and promise never do that again.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch