Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,988
2.28/5  rDev +25.3%

Okay, respect beer, respect beer, respect...

American style light lager, 12oz. aluminum can. So consider the rating with respect to type.

I offered to help a friend replace a fuel pump in his Explorer and he supplied a cooler full of ice and "Naturals". Hot Alabama afternoon on a concrete driveway. Probably about as good as any other choice of beer. Drank straight from the can and ice cold from the cooler. Take a break, pop one open, drain it, back to work. Never put one down unless it's empty. Not one you'd want at "cellar" temp, let alone driveway temp. You'll make that mistake but once. But, ice cold and on a hot day, not bad. And it was shared with good friends. Which can make any beer a good beer.

Color...beats me, I can't imagine taking the time to pour one of these. I'll have to give it average marks anyway.

Smell...metallic, with a hint of corn and something that could be malt. Maybe out of a bottle would be better.

The taste...well, it was cold and sort of tasted like beer (using a coarse comparison). Crisp finish with no aftertaste. No real metallic notes transfer from the smell. A little on the sweet side, even being light.

Mouthfeel...thin, some carbonation.

My first experience with the Natural was years ago. My sister brought home a six pack and told me help myself. The first one I poured down the sink after the first sip, convinced it was bad. The second one went down behind it. Figured I'd leave the rest for her. That's when I learned about "Light" beer. There is a time and a place for this beer. And if someone else is buying, and the beer is cold, what the hell, I guess I'll have another.

There's 1 reason to buy this beer. The price. I bought a 12 pack of it last night for about 8 bucks.

Pours a very fizzy head and it disappears fast. Extremely clear beer... looks like water with some food coloring. Smells like nothing but maybe some grain. Tastes like nothing but maybe some grain. NO AWFUL AFTERTASTE thou. So it saves itself from an F.

1.22/5  rDev -33%

Natural Light pours like your typical pale lager. The color is straw gold. There was no smell to speak of, none at all. The taste was bland and boring. Honestly, this beer felt like water in my mouth; oh that's right it IS water with food coloring added. My grandmother drinks this beer like its going out of style. She always has a 30 pack of it on hand.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

It is neon green cat pee.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

3.18/5  rDev +74.7%

I only buy this when its on sale, and around here it gose on sale quite ofton. i normaly do not drink light beer as have to drink twice as mutch to get the job done. but when working on my mod it is a good beer to have without getting fully hammerd.

it looks like a typical AB light beer and taste like a typical AB light beer. this was the go-to beer for my alcohalic dad who would drink 3 cases of light beer a day. it smells allright and is not unpleasent or pleasent.

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%

You know it is bad when you have to look at the can again to make sure you are drinking beer. This is a very sharply carbonated beer that reminds me of alka-seltzer. Relatively shallow flavor that resembles cornflakes, and kinda a pale finish, not too much after-taste. There really isn't too much to say for taste because it just plain lacks it.

I don't know why this beer is popular on college campuses when there are cheaper beers out there that taste better.

1.36/5  rDev -25.3%

Had a can last night at a party, only brew they had. I've had this beer before but never has it tasted so bad. After treating myself with better beers, Sam Adams, Harpoon, etc., this "Natty" was deplorable. I was mad at myself for not brining my own and made a comment to my friend about it...he told me I shouldn't complain because it was free. Truth. I will never buy this beer and only drink it as a last resort to be social.

A: 12 oz can, not worth a pour.

S: None?

T: Not much, seltzer water

M: Seltzer water, extremely carbonated

D: Putting these beers away is not a problem but it is hardly an enjoyable experience.

1.08/5  rDev -40.7%

This is piss-poor stuff. Easily my most forgettable beer experience. Anecdote: some friends and I were filming a student film and needed a can as a prop. All we had was a handful of change, so we bought one 23 oz. can of Natty Light. It was a dry campus, so the can to be empty since we were filming outside. No one wanted to drink it before we got back to campus, so we dumped it out in the parking lot of the grocery store. THAT’S HOW BAD IT IS.

I don’t understand the "this beer does its job" comments. Yeah it’s cheap, but if what you want is to get drunk, you can get a lot more hooch on the dollar with cheap whiskey.

1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

The redeeming characteristic of this beer is not that it has good qualities but rather the lack of bad qualities or possibly the lack of any qualities.
This is the only BMC light that doesn't give me a headache or digestive upset, You can slam down a 12er on a hot summer day and bounce right up and get to work the next morning. Other than that there is not much positive to say.

1.06/5  rDev -41.8%

Our neighbor, who turns down beer that's "beery beer," drinks this stuff when he's running out of money at the end of the month.

I couldn't actually see it, since it was in a can, so I don't know what the appearance is, so I gave it a 2 instead of a 1. If it were mindblowingly delicious, it would have an appearance of 5 with a vivacious straw-color and a luminescent transparency. Appearance doesn't mean squat anyway.

Tastes like metal, smells like metal, what more do you want?

2.81/5  rDev +54.4%

This is a college kid's beer. I drank this all the time in college. It was cheap and all I could afford. I use to not be able to stand it at all, but after drinking so much of it I got use to it. This is just a nothing special beer. If you want a cheap beer to get drunk and play drinking games, this is a perfect beer.

1.72/5  rDev -5.5%

Sweet Lord this beer is terrible. I mean, honest to God, the only thing Natty Light has going for it is the fact that it is not Natty Ice. It tastes awful, looks awful, smells awful, and is about as trashy as you can get. The reason I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability is that you can pound them easy due to the lack of taste. I kill ten or so of these per night on weekends, but only because that is what is available. God this beer is bad.

Note: Drinking this beer in a bottle can be equated to wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. You are trying to be formal, but really you're there to get drunk.

2.2/5  rDev +20.9%

drank one from can, poured other into pint glass

Last night, some friends came over and brought some Natty Light. I do not normally drink beer as horrible as Natty, but when there's free beer around, I take advantage. I hadn't taken a sip of Natty in years, so here's my impressions from last night:

A: Carbonation was immense, like sprite. I could not believe the amount of carbonation in this beer. Probably because no one pours it into a glass and just chugs it.

S: Smells like nothing. The best I can think of would be someone dropping maybe a half ounce of alcohol into a bottle, and the rest of it water. and then that concoction sat with the cap off for weeks.

T: Tastes like it smells. The taste is not offensive in the fact that it will make you gag, but it IS offensive if you prefer a beer that actually bothers having a taste. This beer is tasteless. Water beer.

M: Water.

D: Water! The prevailing theme in this review. I chugged about 36 OZ of this beer in 5 minutes and I was not bloated in the slightest. The easiest drinking beer I've ever had.

Overall, if you want to get drunk for a very cheap price, and not be bloated, buy Natty Light. Just don't let anyone who respects your opinions about beer know.

1.59/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured directly from a can from my 30-pack into the beer bong.

Looks like toilet water after you have been drinking all day.

Smells like a mix between wet nails, moldy buscuits, and sweaty taint. What are hops?

Tastes wonderful if you are bonging it since that means you don't have to really taste it at all!

We used to pound these all day in college when we were too broke to afford anything decent.

1.2/5  rDev -34.1%

A - Very light color, almost looks like ginger ale.
S - None to Speak Of
T - Very little to speak of, basically Beer flavored water
M - This bubbly beer makes for a refreshing drink, but only because of the carbonation
D - Okay if you're drinking on the cheap, or buying for a mass quantity of people

The only thing this beer is good for is when using in drinking games, as you don't really need to enjoy the beer then and just need to drink quick. If you're not an undergrad, please don't buy this beer. Ever.

I honestly do not understand the fascination w/ this absolute shitty beer. It seems it's almost always this @ college parties... IT SUCKS!!! Maybe it's because I don't flock to light beer like every single other spineless American, but there are so many other beers out there for the same price. If you're gonna go w/ cheap beer, get Pabst of Evil Eye or something. Don't torture yourself w/ awful light beers.

1.3/5  rDev -28.6%

The quintessential American college beer... Gross. That's the only word I can use to describe it. This is the beer on which to compare all other bad beers. Devoid of flavor, smells of urine, almost colorless, and half the time I feel like I'm going to vomit this stuff up if I drink it in more than a sip.

Appearance: There's a reason no one really pours this into a glass. It's a very very very pale beer, just not appealing looking at all with almost no head or the alternate of half the glass being carbonation.

Smell: As someone else said, smells like dishwater. More of water that dirty dishes have been soaking in without soap for several days. Just the worst smelling beer I've come across.

Taste: There is none, minus the slight bitter taste that just makes you almost gag.

Mouthfeel: It's smooth going down but there is to real feel in your mouth with it. Devoid of life.

Drinkability: You can drink a lot of these, but I wouldn't advise it. I will say, they get easier going down the more you have. It's only claim.

3.55/5  rDev +95.1%

As a beer connoisseur, I can say that If you're looking for the biggest bang for your buck, Natty light is definitely the way to go. If you're a starving college student like myself, you learn to appreciate it. Not the best, but I've had worse. Very drinkable! Perfect for beer pong

1.88/5  rDev +3.3%

As a college kid, I had my fair share of this over the last couple years, so I figured I'd review it just for hilarity's sake.

A- Light color with a wispy head

S- Nothing good, mostly steel or corn or something not good

T- Why it has earned the nickname "frat water"

M- "The smooth pilsner with all natural ingredients" says it all

D- Could have a case and not be full. Which is not a good thing in a beer.

Lots of nostalgia here, but doesn't make it any better.

I should start off by saying that this is a beer that me and my friends grew up drinking, so i feel as if i have some sort of loyalty to this great brew. For the price, you absolutely can't beat it... it doesnt taste too bad and it does its job. I actually even prefer this over the likes of miller lite and coors light. So if you are down on cash and want a decent beer.. why not?

Even as a broke college student I avoided this sorry excuse for a beer like the plague. It baffles me how anyone could take a look at the finished product and think it's good to bring to market. Even as a beer pong beer it fails; especially when coors light is a better option.

Looks: Dull yellow, just on examination you can tell that you're in for a world of hurt.
Smell: mildly sweet with a small hint of rice. Not in a good way like a Japanese red ale, but like cheap, mass produced garbage.
Taste: At first it's pungent and nearly undrinkable. Then it becomes slightly dull and tastes of tea made from the contents of a lawnmower bag with a pack of sugar.
Mouth feel: every synapse in your brain fires off as you are overcome with a sense of agony. Your body wants to reject it, but you fight against yourself and take the gulp. By the end of the can you want to cry.

I would advise against this beer.

Natty is a beer I drink almost every week. It brings back so many good memories. Being a poor college student with a limited budget Natural Light has become a staple of my diet. Under $15 for a 30 pack, I can't resist. Not a great tasting beer, but for the money it will do. I recomend anyone with little or no money, give it a try at least.

2.6/5  rDev +42.9%

First and foremost: This is not a good beer. But we must rank it according to its style. And that style (to most readers of this forum) is pretty poor. So -- yes, if you want a tasty, crafty beer, stay away from Natural Light. But if you want a beer that is light -- meaning, one meant for playing 36 holes of golf or sitting on the deck, looking at the Betties while still making meaningful conversation -- then Natty Light is a good choice. I would rank it higher than Miller Lite on taste alone -- and it's cheaper. So if you play a lot of golf or entertain a lot of Betties, this beer is for you.

1.78/5  rDev -2.2%

Presentation: 12 oz light silver can which have been poured into many solo cups...

Appearance:Perhaps the pales beer I have ever had. If it is dark in the room hard to tell its not water.

Smell: There is a very faint, almost cooked barley smell to in. Not too appealing.

Taste: Much like drinking sparkling water. There is a light corn taste, and some weird bitterness. Nothing impressive.

Overall: I am happy I am brewing my own, and no longer drinking this...

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch