Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Halcyondays

1.3/5  rDev -22.6%

Tallboy can,

A: Pours a transparent yellow with a fizzy white head with poor retention, very light soapy lace.

S: Carbonic acid, mild mild grain notes.

T: When I first had this I remarked it's the first beer I ever had that didn't taste like anything. 5 years later it still doesn't. Seltzer water is the main flavour profile, with a infinitesimally small note of malt flavour. Not off-putting, just nothing there.

M: Very light-bodied, forced carbonation, like soda water.

D: It claims to be a pilsner on the label, so I will review it as such. Boring and insipid. I can see why folks go for this just trying to get a buzz; it's so innocuous because it's basically alcoholic seltzer water.

01-26-2011 02:33:33 | More by Halcyondays
wcudwight

2.83/5  rDev +68.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

I usually drink Natty Light from the can on camping trips and such. When I look at it in the glass the unimpressive beer is even more unimpressive. Looks like some type of contaminated water. As pale yellow as pale can get with just a faint white fizzy ring on top. Kind of like the ring that is around the moon before it snows. Is it really there? Not really much aroma. It's not bad, it's not good, it's not there. As the beer warms in might smell kind of metallic, probably from the can. For what it is, I don't think it's a bad tasting beer. It's cheap and taste like it, but it's not repulsive. Too me it taste like cheerios. Mouthfeel is as thin bodied as a beer can get. I like Natty Light as a beer to sit around the campfire and shoot the bull with the buds. And it's like 3 bucks a 6 pack to boot.

01-24-2011 04:27:07 | More by wcudwight
clonebrewer

Iowa

1.55/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured directly from a can from my 30-pack into the beer bong.

Looks like toilet water after you have been drinking all day.

Smells like a mix between wet nails, moldy buscuits, and sweaty taint. What are hops?

Tastes wonderful if you are bonging it since that means you don't have to really taste it at all!

We used to pound these all day in college when we were too broke to afford anything decent.

01-22-2011 16:42:28 | More by clonebrewer
Wasatch

Utah

Pours a yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, very little hop note. The taste is malty, slight hop note. Light Body, not much going on here. Not Drinkable, would not buy again.

01-16-2011 20:26:19 | More by Wasatch
VietPong

Connecticut

1.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Better served ice ice cold...

There's really nothing good about Natty, it's just a worse quality version of Bud Light. I don't think anyone would have high expectations from this beer though.

And other than that, there's really nothing left to review

01-05-2011 03:14:18 | More by VietPong
Distilled10

2.42/5  rDev +44%

A- When poured, leaves a thin white head, with a trailing lace. A some what clear yellow color to it.

S- Bland, no strong smells.

T- Watery, and as well as the smell, a bland taste.

M- Have you ever done something that made your mouth feel dry, and all you can think of to drink is a nice tall glass of water?
That's what this is, a some what alcoholic water.

D- This is a beer that anyone could honestly drink. There is no worry here that in drinking to many of these you'll get "drunk" at least for me, this is pretty much just a "spiced up" glass of water.
Nothing to it.

01-02-2011 02:12:55 | More by Distilled10
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.93/5  rDev +14.9%

One finger white head, nice lace that clings well. Matches a 2 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells of sweet cereal grain. Taste is about nothing, light flavor of corn and malt. Water in my mouth. Nothing to write home about, cheap and plentiful. A yard work beer.

12-24-2010 22:55:30 | More by beerprovedwright
JayS2629

Alabama

1.95/5  rDev +16.1%

A- pale yellow, almost clear. thin white head that goes away quick and leaves no lace.

S- Neutral, slight malt hints with corn

T- Water and corn with horrible metallic aftertaste

M- Crisp, refreshing, water, water, water

D- As drnkable as water! I think the best method to drink these is to poke a hole in the can and shotgun them. then you actually get a foamy head at the end.

12-23-2010 02:06:57 | More by JayS2629
Delirium

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

...It's been a long time since I reviewed a beer here. For the most part, I drink a lot of the same and since the economy tanked I've been stretching my beer dollars with wine and spirits.

Not until I encountered this totally unremarkable beer did I feel compelled to crawl back to BA with head hung low, blow the dust off of my computer keyboard, and feel so compelled as to warn others about a beer.

Natural light pours pale piss yellow with a quicker than the eye disappearing head that fizzles down into a spiderweb film that clings to the surface of the beer and follows the beer down to the bottom of the glass until the entire gray experience is over with.

This beer smells and tastes like stale club soda. Natural ice is an achievment in mediocrity. It's so unabashedly neutral that it doesn't taste good or bad. Fresh from the container it doesn't taste like anything at all and as it warms it just becomes an unbalanced mess. I don't know what is less forgivable, a beer that can't maintain balance or a beer that is so balanced that it lacks the boldness to taste like anything at all.

This beer is both!

12-22-2010 08:22:12 | More by Delirium
alleykatking

Indiana

2.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Had from 12oz can.

A- Pours a watery straw yellow color. One finger white head that shows poor retention. Light streaks of lace along with spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Cereal grains, light metallic scent in the front of the aroma. There is some light malt in the background but the hops I can't pick out at all.

T- Sweet watery malts that does not really have anything going for it in the front. There is some light metallic flavor toward the middle to ending. A sickly sweetness goes from the front to back of this beer and I don't really like it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but average for the style. Sweetness left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were bland and lifeless. Crisp flavor but not clean tasting.

D- This is a little below average drinker for the style. The sweetness really kills the beer for me but I can see why people like it. Flavors are overall weak and the ABV makes it low enough to drink a ton of it.

12-14-2010 05:15:21 | More by alleykatking
WesWes

2.78/5  rDev +65.5%

The beer pours a pale straw color with a 1/2" white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is average. It has a faint pilsner malt scent along with barely any hops and a dry finish. The taste is below average. It's obviously loaded with adjuncts and only has enough malt for a pale coloring and a faint malt flavor. It goes down quick and easy with a dry finish. It's crisp and clean with little beer flavor. The mouthfeel is average . It's a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a adjunct laden light lager. It's nothing I'd revisit soon, but it does the trick for people who drink macro lagers and are looking for a lighter choice.

12-08-2010 21:40:14 | More by WesWes
bubseymour

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +156%

This was a beer that I used to drink very frequently in college. When my friends and I sampled the whole assortment of cheap beers, this was the one we settled in with as our most purchased variety. It was the most tolerable, easiest to drink cheap without "bad beer face",and produced the least amount of hangover effects. I have on occassions tried this beer over the 20 years since college and still find this beer in particular to be one of the easiest cheap beer to drink without any bad taste. I've tried Pabst a few times and struggle to finish them because it actually tastes "bad" flavor. Sure Natural Light lacks any strong flavors compared to a high-end IPA, Porter, Imperial Stout etc... but compared to its equivalent price-marked competitors its one of the best choices you can make.

12-04-2010 00:50:00 | More by bubseymour
mountsnow1010

Vermont

1.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes like crap. I like the occasional lighter beer as it is a refreshing change from the heavier beers - but this is simply revolting. Tastes like it was produced in a kettle that was coated with petroleum. Narsty. Drinkable due to low alcohol but suffers due to taste.

The only reason this is not all ones is my benchmark for all ones is Steel Reserve Hi-Grav, another beer I have had the misfortune of trying.

Avoid at all costs!

12-01-2010 18:16:44 | More by mountsnow1010
KingBenHogan

4.28/5  rDev +154.8%

Alright, I'm about to get a lot of criticism for this but I feel my voice must be heard. I am 25. I only drink beer. I love all types (favorite, American IPA. Cliche, I know). Anyways, I went to college and I had my fair share of cheap beer and this one still blows me away to this day.

Natural Light in a bottle is quite the exceptional beer. Yes, it's no Dale's Pale Ale nor does it have the amazing light beer taste of Miller Lite, but considering the price and availability of this beer I think it deserves recognition.

When I was in college you could get a 12 pack of Natty bottles for under six bucks (bottles are the BEST way to drink Natty). Natural isn't disgusting like other cheap beers (Pabst, Busch) and Natural doesn't give any hangovers.

My friends, I am not a troll. I consider myself an amateur beer connoisseur. I know Natural Light isn't the best beer, but it certainly isn't the worst.

11-08-2010 23:44:02 | More by KingBenHogan
unknownlamer

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Can marked best by FEB1411, served in a tulip glass (why not? It's the only glass I had on me at the time)

Pours a slightly yellowed transparent with a large effervescent head--driven entirely by carbonation, and gone within a few moments. Usually my tulip causes any beer to maintain at least a minimal outer ring of head, but with this there was absolutely no head remaining whatsoever. Generally even the thinnest beers leave at least a spot or two of lacing, but when this was done the sides of the glass were as spotless as when freshly cleaned.

The aroma is reminiscent of soda: nothing but corn sugar sweetness (if there are any hops in the aroma it is beyond the ability of my nose to detect them).

The body is absurdly thin and any thickness was from the intense carbonation. The flavor was ever so slightly sweet... at least it was balanced by an equally slight bitterness. The flavor is utterly unremarkable.

I'd say this was as drinkable as an average adjunct lager (I may or may not have associated with hipsters and come to tolerate PBR and other such brews for a period of time, there were no witnesses), but only by virtue of its taste being so weak as to be somewhat better than overchlorinated city water.

11-08-2010 04:53:38 | More by unknownlamer
LWG1970

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I can sum this beer up in a few words..

NASTY, HORRIBLE, UNDRINKABLE SWILL..

There are VERY Few beers I will not drink if given to me, THIS IS ONE OF THEM.. I simply could not GAG it down..

Taste is of Stale rotten Corn, Bitter and Metallic, It smells like rotten Garbage, and has very little or not color..(It looks like WATER flavored Beer)..

I have tried it in Bottles and Cans, It MAKES no Difference,, It just God Awful Stuff...

Avoid it at ALL Costs...

11-01-2010 03:48:06 | More by LWG1970
lizzium

Maryland

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

A-the beer has no head, no lacing, piss color, carbonation bubbles

S-smells like metal

T-extremely watery, somewhat easy to drink, carbonated

M-somewhat carbonated, feels like water

This beer is horrible. Just as bad as Bud Light. Very easy to take considering it's like water, but with an awful taste.

10-30-2010 02:10:58 | More by lizzium
Beerbluesbiology

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

A real cheap college freshman standby. I've unfortunately had more than a few of these, but now I will actually analytically criticize this piece.

A - Looks somewhat like carbonated urine. It is not visually appealing at all. It looks somewhat like a beer right when poured, but the head dissipates quickly, leaving a sorry excuse for beer.

S - Smells faintly like malted corn, and husky, lousy aroma. Not too special in this department.

T - What taste? I am surprised this is allowed to be called beer as it is essentially carbonated H2O.

M - Mouthfeel of coca-cola... real special.

D - Well, it is also possible to drink your own urine. I guess if I had the choice, I would choose natty light.

Overall, a cheap light beer with little flavor and one designed for mass consumption.

10-24-2010 02:34:32 | More by Beerbluesbiology
ramseye4

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

What a horrendous beer. It pours the color of dehydrated urine. Smells like water mixed with corn, and tastes like it too. Kind of tastes like Bud light and Perrier mixed together. Highly carbonated, the only upside to this beer is it is cheaper than dirt and goes down easily, and sits lightly in the stomach. If I want to get my crap beer fix, I guess I'd rather take Bud Select over this mess, but only by a hair.

10-19-2010 17:15:00 | More by ramseye4
beersensei305

AWFUL. This 'beer' just smells from moldly boiled rice and distilled alcohol. Pale yellowish color, no head no lacing. Makes me wonder why I am drinking this, and who would buy this. The flavor is mostly of the bitter moldy rice. AVOID!!! unless your aying beer pong

10-16-2010 22:43:19 | More by beersensei305
devilben02

1.9/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from the can with an ultra pale straw yellow color, and a brief appearance is made by a foamy white head. The aroma is musty like a shower-floor in a room of an aging mid-priced national hotel chain. The flavor is a little better, with a predominately light sweet corn flavor giving way to a slightly metallic finish. Overall, although "mediocre" is certainly an accurate descriptor, this beer isn't nearly as bad as its reputation would suggest.

10-12-2010 03:17:02 | More by devilben02
Thorpe429

1.02/5  rDev -39.3%

Apparently the drink of choice at college parties in Northwestern Ohio. I've had the displeasure of partaking.

Pours the lightest of straw colors with absolutely no head. Smells of straight grain husk. Tastes not much better, as it adds in a bit of cardboard. Feel is way, way too carbonated, although it does the service of carrying away many of the flavors. Drinks quickly, only because I want it out of my mouth.

10-08-2010 00:52:23 | More by Thorpe429
wallaceandvomit

a- diluted urine, tiny head that's more disappointing than a dane cook standup special
s- diluted malt liquor
t- diluted malt liquor
m- carbonated water
d- the only reason for purchasing this is that it goes down like .. idk .. carbonated water and is ideal for getting hammered with a less intense hangover than you'd expect from malt liquor

09-29-2010 00:04:14 | More by wallaceandvomit
CBOLAND17

2.03/5  rDev +20.8%

Although this is one of the most widely sold and drank beers in America it is quite awful. An extremely light and watered down lager with a high level of carbonation and very little actual beer flavor. The only use this beer actually has is to get college kids drunk.

09-25-2010 17:16:22 | More by CBOLAND17
StoutKing0104

2.42/5  rDev +44%

I'm not sure if this beer even deserves a review but since it is a staple in my life as a college student, here goes nothing.

Absolutely nothing special about the appearance of Natty Light. It's a pale yellow suggesting it's watered down nature with a good finger width white head.

Sniff all you want, but not much with arrive in the nostrils, a little bit of hops but nothing to get excited about.

As far as taste is concerned, you get what you pay for, and at $13 a 30 pack, you're not getting much in the taste realm. However, this beer is perfect for a college house party where a taste is outweighed by sheer volume desired.

When you swig this beer, theres a decent amount of carbonation which does tingle the pallet a little and can occassionally interfere with overall ability to drink it.

I gave this beer a 3 for drinkability simply because it's quite easy to end up drinking a great amount of this beer, however I woud not touch this stuff outside the college scene, and even at college, it's only a party and game beer.

09-21-2010 02:14:02 | More by StoutKing0104