Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
View: Beers (80) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
goblue3509

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a very slight yellow color with a half finger head. The smell is of some type of cheap grain and is very faint. The taste has a little hop bite to it, and then taste of cheap grains. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it is okay for drinkability, you could drink it but you wouldn't want to.

07-31-2009 18:14:55 | More by goblue3509
boatshoes

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Hmm, Beer Advocate wouldn't let me choose beer bong as a serving type...just kidding, sort of. Actually...poured from a keg into our beer pitcher and thereafter into my solo cup for college pubnite...solo cup promptly has a keg cap dropped in it and I proceed to chug the first of a number of these for the evening. As much as Natty may have tried, it didn't keep me from graduating with flying colors this past May...though I should say Natty may have resulted in a number of other colors flying out of me at various times over the years...

Appearance- Pale, pale, pale jaundiced yellow as it slides its way out of the tap into our pitcher. Is this beer or watery-ass lemonade? Surprisingly it pours with about four fingers of massive, quickly dying head into our pitcher. Oh wait...this isn't surprising because this keg is self serve and no-one apparently knows not to over-pump the keg...regardless, the head is gone almost as soon as it appears, so maybe it was just a figment of my imagination anyway.

Smell- Mmmm, mmmm, smells like a big handful of corn and sweaty pocket change. Metal and adjunct is all I really get from the nose on this beast. Can't say I like it, but can't really say it has much a smell at all to be honest.

Taste- So, when I was a child I lived on a farm in the midwest and we had our own well. One time after coming back from vacation in the summer, the well had settled with a lot of iron and the water was hard as hell and tasted like it has been soaking in copper pennies. If you took that water, carbonated it, tossed in some lead paint chips, and added some cheap alcohol, that's pretty much Natty. Seriously though, this beer is watery and its primary flavors when they actually show through are corn, adjunct, metal, and an odd sickly sweetness. Bleh.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability-Well, if you like bad tasting carbonated water, then this is drinkable as anything else I guess...thin, nonexistent body and extremely high carbonation. One of the worst ways to get drunk...I'm glad I found BA by my sophomore year in college...

Overall, there's really no reason to drink this beer except to get drunk. And even at that, there are other better macros at the same price scale. Hope to never drink this beer again.

07-24-2009 01:32:13 | More by boatshoes
tyhillman

Mississippi

1.53/5  rDev -8.9%

Ugh, I would choose a lot over this beer. I tried to drink it while I was fishing and was not impressed with it. It is definitely drinkable but has a pretty nasty after taste. It does have potential because it goes has decent drinkability and a crisp bite to it. Definitely not the first beer I would ever grab, but not the last.

07-23-2009 20:01:15 | More by tyhillman
matty

3.38/5  rDev +101.2%

Very pale yellow beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is fresh and light as is the taste.A good fit for the light lager category.Refreshing and smooth as water.The perfect fit to a summertime party.I always have and always will drink this.An AB classic.

07-20-2009 04:59:47 | More by matty
eljefe21

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Pale yellow in color. Very clear and transparent. Sizzling head that quickly dissipates to nothing.

S: Faint hop smell? Not much going on, although it is crisp to the nose.

T: Remarkably tasteless. Like drinking off flavored alcoholic water. Some serious effort was put into removing all flavors.

M: Nice carbonation throughout. Thin on the tongue and not much of a finish.

D: Wouldn't be opposed to downing several of these if I was expected to have one in my hand all day and still be functioning (golf, boating, etc.). Certainly not much better or worse than any of the other macros.

Served: in a standard pint glass.

07-16-2009 01:09:11 | More by eljefe21
y2jrock60

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Wow, I cant believe I used to drink kegs of this at college parties.

A- Looked like someone pissed in a cup who drank a lot of club soda

S- It smells like old flat beer without any flavor

T- Watery with a hint of piss and stale grain, this beer tastes fake

M- Highly carbonated and bubbly

D- Used to drink a lot but I don't know how I did it. Maybe that's why I used hate beer

07-10-2009 06:24:55 | More by y2jrock60
donmonkey1

Tennessee

1.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Pale yellow, very little carbonation, a head that quickly recedes into oblivion, little or no lacing.

Smell: Sweet corn.

Taste: Sweet fruit that's starting to go bad.

Mouthfeel: It feels like an astringent hop bitterness, but I sure as heck can't taste any hops.

Drinkability: It's weak so I could chug a few, but I wouldn't want to because this beer sucks.

06-28-2009 04:24:26 | More by donmonkey1
ChugsMugs

Maine

well I figure I've had enough of these to finally review it. Natty Lights should only be thought of as what they are, cheap watered down all day beer-a-thon beers, and not enjoyable singles to reflect your day over. With that being said:
A- piss yellow, watered down. no head with some carbonation.
S- hardly exists. can smell the carbonation if you get your nose close enough, like sparkling water.
T- watery, with a tiny zip of beer.
M- easy to swallow, and yes smooth. nothing leftover in your mouth so you easily forget when your last sip was and quickly take another.
D- this is the ultimate ALL day beer. great for leisure sport Olympics or long fishing days.

06-21-2009 13:33:28 | More by ChugsMugs
x63x77

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

First off I would like to say. OH! I have consumed more of this beer by volume than any other (Football Weekends, generic house parties etc.). Never once did I think, "this is good". My usually thought was, "well, it's a free keg, why not". While tapped keg sitting in a bucket of ice on someone's porch is the most common arangement. I have also had this from the can, and I once saw a bottle, but avoided it like the plauge.

Tapped keg, red plastic party glass (For the record I never used a blue one).

Appearance: Watery, light yellow.

Smell: Awful, zero noise, with chemical and metallic undertones.

Taste: Absolutely terrible, the second worst beer I have ever drank, the only thing redeeming is if it gets really really cold, you can drink it without thinking about it.

Mouth Feel: Pure carbonation at first, this beer much have more CO2 in it than the exhaust system of a Hummer. By the end of the glass, absolutely flat.

Drinkability: Better than gasoline, but at 4.2% really avoid it unless it is free.

06-21-2009 04:22:16 | More by x63x77
metaball

As a rebuttal to the many claims that this beer "lacks any redeeming qualities whatsoever", i suggest you try using the legendary Nattie to cook with. bbq beer burgers, beer battered anything, beer boiled bratwurst, beer can chicken... applications where a finer & more expensive beer you would actually enjoy drinking would be a waste. Nattie's light, fizzy & nebulous grain flavor is far better experienced being poured over ground beef with some Lowery's seasoned salt, vaporized by the open flame & engaging your sense of smell rather than allowing it to directly assault your taste buds. It is a fine addition to your liquid seasoning arsenal, in the kitchen & at the grill.

05-26-2009 22:42:03 | More by metaball
BirdFlu

1.83/5  rDev +8.9%

"Whats the point in even reviewing garbage?" I ask myself when the idea floats into mind to try these useless, inferior drinks.. But, alas.. sometimes you are forced to have half a cup of this sort of nonsense at a bbq simply while waiting for the good beers you brought for yourself to cool down.. it look slike straw yellow seltzer water.. smells like grain and adjunct, tastes like they added just the most remote level of adjunct possible to some water to produce the slightest hint of a flavor.. And the body, oh the body... so thin you wonder what sort of alchemy produced a liquid thats lighter than water.. I decided to have just a little bit of this because I though, "hey, what the hell.. I can review it on BA and wont be so thirsty waiting for my stone and flying dogs to cool".. I'd rather have just stayed thirsty.

05-26-2009 17:01:47 | More by BirdFlu
nlmartin

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Ok where do I start on this beer. The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a pale fizzy yellow. The head is white about 1/4 inch and quickly resolves.

Smell: The aromas from my glass are a metalic cooked veggie water smell. Not good.

Taste: The beer has a bit of sweetness this combines with the flavor of the can. Again not good.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. The carbonation is active and helps the beer but its still not good. This beer is little more than an alcohol delivery system and not particularly good at that.

05-22-2009 01:41:12 | More by nlmartin
Bigfatbino

1.58/5  rDev -6%

A = poured a dilute applejuice or potent urine color. Little head with artificial carbonation dissipated within 30 seconds of pouring, no lacing in the glass

S = faintly yeasty, that's about it really. not much of an aroma at all

T = it doesn't taste like..well...beer. Some raw alcohol tones, a hoppy quality that really is nearly non-existent. Some corn like flavors

M =Thin, watery, not much tingle on the tongue.

D = When you are absolutely broke and still want to drink something that is a small step above Malt liquor and fortified wines.

05-13-2009 08:00:42 | More by Bigfatbino
srrn

1.63/5  rDev -3%

What a waste of ingredients if any were actually used. This beer has no smell, tastes like mineral water, has no hop bitterness at all, no malt back bone. Nothing. At least it doesn't have any off tastes.

For people who hate the taste of beer only.

04-27-2009 15:07:25 | More by srrn
mcraw88

Nebraska

2.95/5  rDev +75.6%

Appearance - Straw yellow, not to much head no retention.

Smell - Nothing at all. Really nothing bad smelling at all just nothing bad. No skunk at least.

Taste - Hmmm. Water? It is like drinking water with some beer mixed in. I will admit it is not as bad as some light beers, but its not to bad actually. If you like lights this isnt half bad.

Mouthfeel - feels just like water that is carbonated. Lighter then soda.

Drinkability - This is the best part of this beer. Can easily put like 10 down in a night. Nothing wrong with the drinkability.

04-18-2009 22:12:32 | More by mcraw88
lanechaffin

2.88/5  rDev +71.4%

This is about the only light beer I drink with any degree of consistency. It is better than drinking water. I was surprised to see the ABV of 4.2%. Seems to be less than that to me.
Very light, no taste to speak of, but no bad taste- very clean and maybe the yeast Anheuser Busch uses agrees with me, but I like the smell, which is similar to Bud's but a bit weaker. Take a Bud and add about 1/2 can of water or so and you get a Natty.
I have had different beers in the fridge at the same time and found myself reaching for a NL over them. Sometimes it just feels right

04-18-2009 01:36:08 | More by lanechaffin
JesseP09

1.83/5  rDev +8.9%

Really a legend on campuses nationwide. For many this is the ultimate price-conscious beer, although Keystone is much better. It smells rank, looks crappy, and feels like when you take a drink and there is a hair in your beverage. Seriously it just doesn't feel right. The drinkability is there because the taste is ignorable if you chug it quickly and in large quantities. All-in-all, stay away.

04-17-2009 02:01:30 | More by JesseP09
OsuJohn

2.23/5  rDev +32.7%

Natural light; a staple among college campuses. Great for the price conscious or those who want to drink lots of beer very quickly.
The watery quality of this beer makes it very usable for beer bongs or other unusual drinking devices/methods.
The taste can be slightly metallic, but for the price you may be willing to overlook that. In my experience the best way to enjoy this beer is to get it as cold as possible without freezing.
Not the worst beer I have ever had, but it did take years of exposure to this beer through college to be able to tolerate it.

04-09-2009 21:22:12 | More by OsuJohn
projectflam86

1.3/5  rDev -22.6%

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a thin head that quickly dissipates.

S- Astringent adjunct scents with no hops or malt. Slight alcohol and metallic smells.

T- I can taste more metal than beer. Seltzer water flavor with thin grain flavors.

M- Watery body. Not crisp or smooth, metal taste lingers.

D- Don't expect me to drink it again. Worst beer I have reviewed.

04-03-2009 01:44:45 | More by projectflam86
bsend

1.63/5  rDev -3%

For this review I had poured a 12 oz. can into a standard pint glass. Most of this beer has been consumed straight from the can or a plastic cup.

This beer's appearance from the start was light, pale yellow. It had a lot of carbonation that fizzled at the top, and provided lots of large bubbles. The beer had a small 1 finger had that dissappeared with an angry crackling sound.

The smell was also sub par. The smell was very metallic, followed by small amounts of corn, and barley. Over all not the most appealing beer.

The taste is plain awful. It reminded me of pennies and other various change (reviewing this from times I have played quarters at the bar and left one in long enough for other). There is small amounts of barely and plenty of water to back it up.

The mouthfeel is like anyother standard adjunct lager, but due to the taste, I didn't want to have this one around the mouth very long.

The drinkability however is solid. These go down quite easily (but drinking a couple while sitting down is near impossible). I would definitely say for parties this is the cheap easy way to go.

Final Thoughts - This beer has to be the worst to sit down and drink one of. Not comparing it to other more flavorful beers, it is still difficult to drink compared to other light adjunct lagers. This is a cheap party beer. College students are saved by this beer and it certainly has its place in drinking games to get people drunk. In any other sense of the beer world, natural light is not worth it. Strapped for cash and need a cheap drinking beer (Busch light is the same price in bottles). Go for that instead.

03-22-2009 19:57:25 | More by bsend
LordAdmNelson

2.05/5  rDev +22%

Had to review it...

A- Piss yellow. Thin, rapidly fading head.

S- Nonexistant--metallic, slight pilsner malt.

T- Water. Hint of malt.

M- Like a soda. Fizzy and carbonated.

D- Can drink like water. Enjoy it? No, but I could have a ton. So if you're looking to get drunk or re-live those college days, this is your beer.

03-19-2009 05:31:26 | More by LordAdmNelson
cford1

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Presentation: 12 oz light silver can which have been poured into many solo cups...

Appearance:Perhaps the pales beer I have ever had. If it is dark in the room hard to tell its not water.

Smell: There is a very faint, almost cooked barley smell to in. Not too appealing.

Taste: Much like drinking sparkling water. There is a light corn taste, and some weird bitterness. Nothing impressive.

Overall: I am happy I am brewing my own, and no longer drinking this...

03-17-2009 21:58:28 | More by cford1
tr4nc3d

Kansas

2.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Remembering the old days when I use to drink this back in the days when I didn't know anything about beer. I have 3 of these in my fridge that my cousin left for me. I figure hey what the hell, I could use one for a review.

Well I poured this into my pilsner glass. A very light golden clear color which shows good clarity. This had a 2 inch head that dissapears fast and leaves no lacing.

Smells of grains, rye, wet haystack, hint of sweet malts, corn.

This has a bitter which is not hops taste to it. The taste reminds me of dirty water in which you drink out of the hose on hot summer days. My taste buds are crying right now for some real flavor beer(makes me want to go open up that Chimay bottle now).

Good amount of carbonation, crisp and refreshing(only good thing about this).

Well you could honestly drink this beer all night long, which has happen before ;). This has no taste and is only for mass consumption.

03-10-2009 21:37:39 | More by tr4nc3d
mmopt

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Easily on my list of worst "beers" ever tried during my college years and that's being kind. If not for college though I may not have tried many things, and I suppose you need to drink through a keg of this to know how good real beer is.

So to the review: is this really a beer? Looks like a water with one tip of a tea bag in it. Smell gets a 1.5 only because it hardly has a smell. The taste of butt, if I knew what that tasted like. The mouthfeel and drinkability are it's highest values because if your overall goal is to get wasted on a summer afternoon in college, then you've arrived at your beer for cheap entertainment.

03-04-2009 19:37:26 | More by mmopt
woodske1

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

Another terrible beer from Anheuser-Busch. I wonder if they ever taste what they make?

From the smell to the aftertaste it is terrible. It tastes nothing like "Beer". It is bottled and cheap...that's about it. No hop aroma or taste, prolly none used.

03-03-2009 16:20:09 | More by woodske1