Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Had from 12oz can.

A- Pours a watery straw yellow color. One finger white head that shows poor retention. Light streaks of lace along with spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Cereal grains, light metallic scent in the front of the aroma. There is some light malt in the background but the hops I can't pick out at all.

T- Sweet watery malts that does not really have anything going for it in the front. There is some light metallic flavor toward the middle to ending. A sickly sweetness goes from the front to back of this beer and I don't really like it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but average for the style. Sweetness left on the palate and long into the aftertaste. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Flavors were bland and lifeless. Crisp flavor but not clean tasting.

D- This is a little below average drinker for the style. The sweetness really kills the beer for me but I can see why people like it. Flavors are overall weak and the ABV makes it low enough to drink a ton of it.

alleykatking, Dec 14, 2010
2.78/5  rDev +65.5%

The beer pours a pale straw color with a 1/2" white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is average. It has a faint pilsner malt scent along with barely any hops and a dry finish. The taste is below average. It's obviously loaded with adjuncts and only has enough malt for a pale coloring and a faint malt flavor. It goes down quick and easy with a dry finish. It's crisp and clean with little beer flavor. The mouthfeel is average . It's a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a adjunct laden light lager. It's nothing I'd revisit soon, but it does the trick for people who drink macro lagers and are looking for a lighter choice.

WesWes, Dec 08, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +156%

This was a beer that I used to drink very frequently in college. When my friends and I sampled the whole assortment of cheap beers, this was the one we settled in with as our most purchased variety. It was the most tolerable, easiest to drink cheap without "bad beer face",and produced the least amount of hangover effects. I have on occassions tried this beer over the 20 years since college and still find this beer in particular to be one of the easiest cheap beer to drink without any bad taste. I've tried Pabst a few times and struggle to finish them because it actually tastes "bad" flavor. Sure Natural Light lacks any strong flavors compared to a high-end IPA, Porter, Imperial Stout etc... but compared to its equivalent price-marked competitors its one of the best choices you can make.

bubseymour, Dec 04, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes like crap. I like the occasional lighter beer as it is a refreshing change from the heavier beers - but this is simply revolting. Tastes like it was produced in a kettle that was coated with petroleum. Narsty. Drinkable due to low alcohol but suffers due to taste.

The only reason this is not all ones is my benchmark for all ones is Steel Reserve Hi-Grav, another beer I have had the misfortune of trying.

Avoid at all costs!

mountsnow1010, Dec 01, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +154.8%

Alright, I'm about to get a lot of criticism for this but I feel my voice must be heard. I am 25. I only drink beer. I love all types (favorite, American IPA. Cliche, I know). Anyways, I went to college and I had my fair share of cheap beer and this one still blows me away to this day.

Natural Light in a bottle is quite the exceptional beer. Yes, it's no Dale's Pale Ale nor does it have the amazing light beer taste of Miller Lite, but considering the price and availability of this beer I think it deserves recognition.

When I was in college you could get a 12 pack of Natty bottles for under six bucks (bottles are the BEST way to drink Natty). Natural isn't disgusting like other cheap beers (Pabst, Busch) and Natural doesn't give any hangovers.

My friends, I am not a troll. I consider myself an amateur beer connoisseur. I know Natural Light isn't the best beer, but it certainly isn't the worst.

KingBenHogan, Nov 08, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Can marked best by FEB1411, served in a tulip glass (why not? It's the only glass I had on me at the time)

Pours a slightly yellowed transparent with a large effervescent head--driven entirely by carbonation, and gone within a few moments. Usually my tulip causes any beer to maintain at least a minimal outer ring of head, but with this there was absolutely no head remaining whatsoever. Generally even the thinnest beers leave at least a spot or two of lacing, but when this was done the sides of the glass were as spotless as when freshly cleaned.

The aroma is reminiscent of soda: nothing but corn sugar sweetness (if there are any hops in the aroma it is beyond the ability of my nose to detect them).

The body is absurdly thin and any thickness was from the intense carbonation. The flavor was ever so slightly sweet... at least it was balanced by an equally slight bitterness. The flavor is utterly unremarkable.

I'd say this was as drinkable as an average adjunct lager (I may or may not have associated with hipsters and come to tolerate PBR and other such brews for a period of time, there were no witnesses), but only by virtue of its taste being so weak as to be somewhat better than overchlorinated city water.

unknownlamer, Nov 08, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I can sum this beer up in a few words..

NASTY, HORRIBLE, UNDRINKABLE SWILL..

There are VERY Few beers I will not drink if given to me, THIS IS ONE OF THEM.. I simply could not GAG it down..

Taste is of Stale rotten Corn, Bitter and Metallic, It smells like rotten Garbage, and has very little or not color..(It looks like WATER flavored Beer)..

I have tried it in Bottles and Cans, It MAKES no Difference,, It just God Awful Stuff...

Avoid it at ALL Costs...

LWG1970, Nov 01, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

A-the beer has no head, no lacing, piss color, carbonation bubbles

S-smells like metal

T-extremely watery, somewhat easy to drink, carbonated

M-somewhat carbonated, feels like water

This beer is horrible. Just as bad as Bud Light. Very easy to take considering it's like water, but with an awful taste.

lizzium, Oct 30, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

A real cheap college freshman standby. I've unfortunately had more than a few of these, but now I will actually analytically criticize this piece.

A - Looks somewhat like carbonated urine. It is not visually appealing at all. It looks somewhat like a beer right when poured, but the head dissipates quickly, leaving a sorry excuse for beer.

S - Smells faintly like malted corn, and husky, lousy aroma. Not too special in this department.

T - What taste? I am surprised this is allowed to be called beer as it is essentially carbonated H2O.

M - Mouthfeel of coca-cola... real special.

D - Well, it is also possible to drink your own urine. I guess if I had the choice, I would choose natty light.

Overall, a cheap light beer with little flavor and one designed for mass consumption.

Beerbluesbiology, Oct 24, 2010
1.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

What a horrendous beer. It pours the color of dehydrated urine. Smells like water mixed with corn, and tastes like it too. Kind of tastes like Bud light and Perrier mixed together. Highly carbonated, the only upside to this beer is it is cheaper than dirt and goes down easily, and sits lightly in the stomach. If I want to get my crap beer fix, I guess I'd rather take Bud Select over this mess, but only by a hair.

ramseye4, Oct 19, 2010

AWFUL. This 'beer' just smells from moldly boiled rice and distilled alcohol. Pale yellowish color, no head no lacing. Makes me wonder why I am drinking this, and who would buy this. The flavor is mostly of the bitter moldy rice. AVOID!!! unless your aying beer pong

beersensei305, Oct 16, 2010
1.9/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from the can with an ultra pale straw yellow color, and a brief appearance is made by a foamy white head. The aroma is musty like a shower-floor in a room of an aging mid-priced national hotel chain. The flavor is a little better, with a predominately light sweet corn flavor giving way to a slightly metallic finish. Overall, although "mediocre" is certainly an accurate descriptor, this beer isn't nearly as bad as its reputation would suggest.

devilben02, Oct 12, 2010
1.02/5  rDev -39.3%

Apparently the drink of choice at college parties in Northwestern Ohio. I've had the displeasure of partaking.

Pours the lightest of straw colors with absolutely no head. Smells of straight grain husk. Tastes not much better, as it adds in a bit of cardboard. Feel is way, way too carbonated, although it does the service of carrying away many of the flavors. Drinks quickly, only because I want it out of my mouth.

Thorpe429, Oct 08, 2010

a- diluted urine, tiny head that's more disappointing than a dane cook standup special
s- diluted malt liquor
t- diluted malt liquor
m- carbonated water
d- the only reason for purchasing this is that it goes down like .. idk .. carbonated water and is ideal for getting hammered with a less intense hangover than you'd expect from malt liquor

wallaceandvomit, Sep 29, 2010
2.03/5  rDev +20.8%

Although this is one of the most widely sold and drank beers in America it is quite awful. An extremely light and watered down lager with a high level of carbonation and very little actual beer flavor. The only use this beer actually has is to get college kids drunk.

CBOLAND17, Sep 25, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +44%

I'm not sure if this beer even deserves a review but since it is a staple in my life as a college student, here goes nothing.

Absolutely nothing special about the appearance of Natty Light. It's a pale yellow suggesting it's watered down nature with a good finger width white head.

Sniff all you want, but not much with arrive in the nostrils, a little bit of hops but nothing to get excited about.

As far as taste is concerned, you get what you pay for, and at $13 a 30 pack, you're not getting much in the taste realm. However, this beer is perfect for a college house party where a taste is outweighed by sheer volume desired.

When you swig this beer, theres a decent amount of carbonation which does tingle the pallet a little and can occassionally interfere with overall ability to drink it.

I gave this beer a 3 for drinkability simply because it's quite easy to end up drinking a great amount of this beer, however I woud not touch this stuff outside the college scene, and even at college, it's only a party and game beer.

StoutKing0104, Sep 21, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +104.2%

A: nothing great here, pale yellow, decent carbonation.

S: a little bitter and plain, corny

T: honestly it surprised me that this adjunct lager could even moderately hold up to the title of pilsner

M: Thin and carbonated, like a diet soda.

D: hell, its college beer, its impossible to imagine anything easier to pound down

IPAescotch, Sep 19, 2010
1.95/5  rDev +16.1%

I had a friend hand me one of these at a cookout last night and was ready to hold back the gagging...turns out this stuff was just like Busch light with a little more sweetness and more cooked corn husk. Review is my old can review otherwise.

Well, it still looks like someone who's really, really well-hydrated peed in a glass. There's a thin film of foam that stays around.
Definitely dirt on the nose...like hemp or potting soil. Overcooked vegetable adds to the assault and very, very light adjuncts are detectable.
Some kind of grains are there, along with some metal and the cooked vegetable that's in the nose. Are there hops and malt? I don't know. There is some sort of artificial-seeming sweetness, though.
Mouthfeel is almost negligible. It's kind of like seltzer water. But, hey, it's crisp. And I guess it's smooth. Somewhat more drinkable than I remember.
It is what it is, but it's not as nasty as I remembered.

Brenden, Sep 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +129.2%

My parent's have been drinking this beer for as long as I can remember, so it's kind of what I got started on.

Maybe I'm biased, but I really don't mind drinking this! I don't usually pour it out into a glass, so the appearance isn't really an issue for me. Smell is I guess just the smell of cheap beer, hard to deduce what's actually in it. Taste and feel for this beer is pretty good for me, not my favorite but nothing that turns me off from drinking Natty. Drinkability, on the other hand, is where this beer shines. 12, nay, 15+ cans into the night it's still appealing (sorta).

I don't drink this beer all the time, but I wouldn't mind. Maybe I'm not a beer connoisseur, but Natty will always have a place in my fridge - and in my heart.

TGINaturday, Aug 29, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +81.5%

Had this straight from the bottle (no sense pretending it's worth a pour). Maybe it's because I had been smoking, but I really didn't mind the Natty Light (first time I had any since college). It does have a slightly metallic aftertaste that can be cloying, but then again, the cost must be factored in. $6.99 a twelve? It'll go fine with pizza or what not, and whom do you really need to impress?

Hovellord, Aug 29, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a very thin beer with very little head. I smells like the aluminum can it came from. It also tastes of aluminum and metal; too much carbination. I have to drink these babies fast when it's the only options at a party. Not recomended unless you're intoxicated and playing beer pong. However, I guess it serves it's purpose.

Treyliff, Aug 25, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured golden yellow (don't they all?) with a one finger white head that subsided to minimal almost instantly. There was no lacing anywhere to be found on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and skunk (literally). The flavor was of malt, rye, and wheat. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was WAY too bland on all levels. Used to be one of my staples in college, for this, I apologize to myself and promise never do that again.

thagr81us, Aug 17, 2010
2.05/5  rDev +22%

This was just wrong of me, but again they offered and I was thirsty. Poured from a can into a cup, as I could just not drink it straight from the can, This one was consumed on 08/09/10.

I thought the Busch poured light, but wow, this was a whole new level. Nearly clear with a huge fizzy head that popped up for a brief moment before settling back down in its chair. Light aroma of hay? Maybe? Hard to tell as it really just did not come across well at all. Light in every sense of the word with an almost carbonated water like consistency and little to no flavor on the finish. The only thing I could really pull from this was a light corn or bready quality

Again I really don't go for these, but I was at the beach and since we now have a nice bottom of the barrel list its giving me something else to shoot for.

mikesgroove, Aug 12, 2010
1.9/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- Appearance is pale golden. Very little head on this one.
S- Husk, corn, faint hops.
T- Standard macro flavors. Corn, water, some DMS.
M- A little more substantial on tap, but still, it is too thin.
D- Made to be consumed by the litre. not a good beer by any means. Economy beer to the extreme.

jsprain1, Aug 10, 2010

Review from notes

This is downright one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had in my life. Nearly as bad as Blue Moon (see review for that one). I can drink a BMC beer, no problem. But Natty Light has an off taste of strong metallicness and a bit of sour vegetable or something weird in the finish. Bland to start, bad to finish. I'm glad I didn't attend many college parties.

DmanGTR, Aug 10, 2010