Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev +6.6%

I'm doing this by memory, since I am not in college anymore. But I feel as though I am an expert here. Obviously no one drinks Natty for the taste, and unfortunately (or fortunately) value is not a criteria, otherwise this would rank at least a point higher. This is usually the cheapest beer out there, and for good reason. It feels as thought it was brewed completely with rice instead of barley and only with artificial hop flavorings. It has no real taste and is annoyingly over carbonated. But they are easy to drink fast and go down best from a red Solo cup.

olegv40, Dec 25, 2009
2.23/5  rDev +33.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, thin-looking beer with just a hint of yellow hue to it and topped with a tall, fizzy, white head that crackles away like a bowl of Rice Krispies.

Smell: A faint, meager, ill-defined sweetness and little else.

Taste: Super duper pale maltiness with just a light bit of sweetness. Teeny-weenie floral hop character and bitterness. Then, the tastes clear away in an instant, leaving you with an empty, though clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A hint of alcohol and flavor and bubbly character like soda water. It's Light-ness is without question, though how Natural it is will, most likely, be debated for years to come.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 22, 2009

Natty lite--what to say?
Well its the cheapest of the cheap. My teenage son even turns his nose up at this one. But to be fair and to cross this one off my review list here goes...

A: Very pale even by this classifications standards looks like one drop of yellow food coloring in a gallon of water. Very fizzy coming out of the can and into the glass. A lot like warm soda poured over ice. Produces a 2 finger head that breaks down to nothing within seconds.

S: Smells metalic like the inside of the can! Don't believe me smell the can. I did and that's what it smells like.

T: Metalic like it smells. A little like sparkling water due to the carbonation. Really not much taste at all. Mostly unpleasant if warm.

M: Very watery

D: Easy to pour a few of these down if your eating something salty or spicy. Adds no taste of its own to cover up the food. Ok with that kind of snack because it doesn't hide the food flavor...also doesn't enhance it!!

Duxx, Dec 18, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +43.7%

First and foremost: This is not a good beer. But we must rank it according to its style. And that style (to most readers of this forum) is pretty poor. So -- yes, if you want a tasty, crafty beer, stay away from Natural Light. But if you want a beer that is light -- meaning, one meant for playing 36 holes of golf or sitting on the deck, looking at the Betties while still making meaningful conversation -- then Natty Light is a good choice. I would rank it higher than Miller Lite on taste alone -- and it's cheaper. So if you play a lot of golf or entertain a lot of Betties, this beer is for you.

IJReilly, Dec 15, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer was officially retired from my list of beers since college ended. There really isn't anything good to say about this beer. It is cheap and affordable which makes it good for its target crowd. Even if I'm still going to play beer pong I will at least get Busch light or Bud light.

Buckeyes67, Dec 10, 2009
1.8/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a solo Dixie cup - for two purposes , beer pong and flip cup. IMO, the best use for this beverage

Poured a light straw yellow with fizzy carbonation that quickly disappeared to nothingness and left a very tiny remnant of anything good looking.

Smelled of corn adjuncts, grass and slightly grass

Tasted eerily similar to water, a little corn flavor and some grass again as smelled earlier. Very watery mouthfeel, it is similar to a watered down bud light.

Highly drinkable , but really you wouldnt want to drink this one by itself . The drinkability factor really only comes into play when you are playing games with this beer. Possibly also useful for drinking at the pool on a hot summer day.

alpinebryant, Dec 07, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +91.6%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white fluffy head. It is pale yellow and very clear. It smells sweet like all BMC's. There is hardly any taste. I get a slight bite from the carbonation. It is watery. Thanks to my buddy for leaving twenty of these in my fridge because I would have never bought this swill. It does go down like water though.

Cheers!

buschbeer, Dec 06, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +60.5%

Natural Light ABV: 4.2%

A: The appearance is your ordinary light beer. Minimal head and lacing. What would you expect?

S: The smell is of corn and grains. Also, has a hint of malts and a distinctive metallic smell.

T-M: The taste is of a corn and grass. Has the metallic after taste and of course the minimal 4.2% alcohol. Very carbonated in the mouth.

D: It is very drinkable, almost on the same senses of drinking water. Agreed with Wesbrownyeah. As a college student, it does fit the budget.

chasebrownyeah1, Dec 05, 2009
1.83/5  rDev +9.6%

a- bottle poured into a pilsner, almost one finger of bright white bubbly head that faded fast to a layer of lace - better lacing then i thought it would have, very pale straw coloring with loads of bubbles.

s- lots of straw, grass, smells skunky.

t- wow, i haven't had one of these in quite a few years, now i remember why. all i'm getting is some grass, hay, no hops (or anything else for that matter) to speak of.

m- hands down the most watery beer i've ever had.

d- you pretty much get what you'd think with this one, very watery, lacking flavor, but i've had more revolting beers. it is drinkable, but i can't imagine drinking another any time soon, unless i'm crazy desperate - i found this bad boy lurking in my parents fridge and decided to give it a review. ok now to go cleanse my palate with a hopdevil..

thecarster1, Dec 05, 2009
1.8/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a clear, very faint yellow. White, sparse head dissipates in a matter of seconds.

Aroma of Cheerios, alcohol and rot present.

Notes of corn are immediately prominent, which segues nicely into more corn. Dry corn aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is extremely thin. Ridiculous amounts carbonation on the palate. Dry and unpleasant.

No real beer to be found, however, I just purchased a 24-pack for 12 dollars. So yeah, it's drinkable.

mightymoksha, Nov 22, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +61.7%

Natty in the bottle. Well lets see.

A- A very pale piss color is appearent on pour, active carbonation throws a massive foamy head that floats like ice on the brew. Mildly sticky froth on sides of glass.

S- Corn husk with slighty sweet grainy scents upfront. Noticeable metallic hints.

T-M- Tastes like it smells... light corn and malts with grainy metallic backbone. Mouthfeel is smooth as water with alcohol added. Light carbonated feel on tongue.

D- Made to drink alot of and hits every college kids budget. My party beer of choice if more than twelve beers is on the agenda.

wesbrownyeah, Nov 21, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +51.5%

Trying Natural Light for the first time tonight. It pours a typical straw color with a flurry of bubbles that surfaced to form a one inch thick head. After the soda pop reminiscent fizzing ended there was virtually no head remaining except for a thin ring alone the extremity of the glass. Some bubbles pop up periodically. The smell right after the pour has a lightly hopped bitter essence with hints of plastic.
After that, it is hard to pick up anything beyond a bit of malt sweetness and maybe some corn. Despite having next to no smell, I am actually a bit surprised that the scent lacks off flavors.

As I accept this pale liquid of the gods into my mouth I am greeted by a surprisingly good blend of crisp bitterness and a clean malt sweetness. For a light lager, this is a very nice touch. Of course, few people try to taste this beer, but on the midpalate comes apple juice, plastic, and some iron. The finish is mostly just bubbly plastic. Most of the negative elements are eliminated by the fact no normal person holds this beer in their mouth to let the flavors soak in, instead they are quickly rinsed by the rather high level of carbonation. In my first drink, actually, I nearly choked on the bubbles when I went to swallow. The body is like water, as is expected.

Overall, Natural Light surpassed all of my expectations. Good balance of malt and bitterness and very light on the off flavors, though at the cost of being quite fizzy. I don't get it when people bash this for tasting like water... in a light lager tasting like water is the ultimate goal. There are many many worse beers in the world, and I didn't find this any worse than many of the "premium" beers on shelves.

Note: The score in this review reflects this beer in comparison to other beers in the style of light industrial lager. It should not be directly compared to craft beer.

vacax, Nov 14, 2009

This beer is evil. If this doesn't belong at the absolute bottom of the list, I don't know what does. This is watered down even for a light lager. Wow.

I had this last night as a series of light lagers also reviewed this evening. I've been drinking this stuff off and on at the scummiest parties since I was a kid, but forced down a few more gulps to preserve the honor of not having to review any of my beers from distant memory.

Of all the light lagers I had, this was the worst, mostly because of the corn syrup component and almost translucent color and taste. Had an odd sort of tonic-water effect, only without the natural quinine that comes with tonic-water. Overcarbonated and VERY difficult to finish. So I didnt.

TLove, Nov 13, 2009

This beer pours a very fizzy head with zero lacing, it smells like corn and grains and metal, the quintessential adjunct lager. Tastes like water and it feels like water in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend this beer to even my worst enemy; I tried this in college and it almost turned me off to beer forever. I couldn't pound this stuff if you paid me.

tjd112, Nov 07, 2009

Poured into pint glass

Pours a half finger of white fizzy head that doesn't last very long. No lace either. Color is an extremely clear light straw yellow. I am having a hard time determining if this is beer or not...

Aroma: Grain and metallic flavors. Very bland. I get some notes of pickles as well.

Taste: Wow, this is horrible stuff. Grain and bland malts. This is worse than boring, it is disgusting.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry. Very sticky. Lots of carbonation with an obvious light body. Ends dry and sticky... ugh....

Overall, I am glad I am in college and have an excuse to even try this beer... it is down right nasty. I doubt I will ever buy or drink this again. Light and drinkable, but not for me.

mothman, Nov 06, 2009
1.78/5  rDev +6.6%

The drink of choice for college students everywhere...

A: Natty Light is an amazing beverage in that it's physical appearance is almost identical to water. Some bubbles and a slight yellowish tint are the only indications as to its true form.

S: The odor of this beer is of corn and grain. I chose to use odor because I associate aroma with pleasant smells, this is not the case here.

T: The taste is the same as the scent, corn and grains, with a hint of bad decisions. It's slightly sweet and grainy, with no hop character at all. Not that I'm surprised.

M: This is probably the best part about Natty Light. It's light and bubbly, and for a second, you almost forget what it is that you're drinking. Then you taste it.

D: For something that so closely resembles water, this has awful drinkability. Normally light lagers just don't taste like much, but Natty Light tastes bad.

womencantsail, Oct 30, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Krušovice-branded pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale, translucent golden color. The thin fizzy head dissipates almost immediately leaving no discernable lacing.

Smell: Smells like oorn and grain, what little smell there actually is.

Taste: Honestly takes like slightly bitter water. Nothing going on here at all.

Mouthfeel: Like carbonated water.

Drinkability: I knew going in that this was one of the most villified beers on this site. Honestly, this doesn't even really taste like beer. All this beer is good for is for drinking in large quantities to get messed up.

wahhmaster, Oct 26, 2009
2.05/5  rDev +22.8%

This was my go to beer way back in my underage drinking days because of the insanely low price, so I figured I'd give it a BA review since it was one of those "turning point" beers in my youth.

Presentation- Brown bottle with Anheuser-Busch logo embossed. Shitty, crooked labels on the body and neck. "The smooth pilsner with all-natural ingredients."

A- Poured into a chilled mug, because with this one you want cold. There is a loud fizzy head. Its bleached white and short lived. Theres lots of effervescence in the clear, pale pale pale yellow body.

S- The nose is of beer pong, the carpet in college dorms and incorrectly tapped kegs. There are notes of corn and thats about it really.

T- Not bitter, not sweet, not hoppy, not malty. Weirdly sweet, especially on the finish. It tastes watery, like soda water.

M- Bubbly, watery, thin.

D- Drinkability is an objective thing. This one is made for drinkability. Actually "drunkability" would be more accurate. That being said, they hit their mark. The price is pretty much the lowest in the cooler at kroger and I have been known to knock out 12-15 of these a night.

MbpBugeye, Oct 04, 2009
1.83/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a very, VERY light gold, perfectly clear, some head that lasted for a mediocre period of time, no lacing.

S: Not good with the smells and I couldn't pick out anything in this. That is a first.

T: Extremely light to the taste, barely any hops but since it is so light it is basically water and water doesn't taste half bad so 2.0 is good.

M: Could use more carbonation and could be more refined.

D: This is the highest of the categories simply because it goes down smooth and you can drink a hundred of them before you are full and you will never feel the effects.

imanidiot777, Oct 01, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into 16 oz pint glass. Left the remaining 8oz in the can and gave to my roomie.

Sight: Straw-colored and much effervescence. A slight head forms but quickly dissipates. Looks pretty watery.

Smell: Corn flakes and pennies. I usually drink beer from bottles, maybe it's from the can? I'm not sure.

Taste: This is why I never drank in high school. Thank the lord I never acquired this taste. It's faint, sour, and rides on heavy carbonation. If I concentrate I taste some grains, corn or maybe barley, not sure. My mind doesn't want to swallow it. The off-taste, combined with the near-freezing temperature gives me a stomachache.

Mouthfeel: Watery comes to mind immediately. Lacking any substance.

Drinkability: Unlike many, I could never drink more than four regular cans, even when I was desperate.

Overall: Not even in my top three of American adjunct lagers, but this swill is cheap. If you love this beer, keep drinking it. However, if something inside you yearns for adventure, stop by your local gettin' place and drop $8 on a well-reviewed 6-pack.

mdquigley, Sep 09, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +31.7%

Fresh bottle. Pours clear yellow with the expected fizzy white head that vanishes quickly. Smells faintly of light malt/adjuncts. Meh. Tastes like Perrier gone bad. Feels like carbonated water. Not hard to drink, though it is ever-so-slightly offensive. Good for what it is, I guess.

philipquarles, Aug 30, 2009
1.88/5  rDev +12.6%

As a college kid, I had my fair share of this over the last couple years, so I figured I'd review it just for hilarity's sake.

A- Light color with a wispy head

S- Nothing good, mostly steel or corn or something not good

T- Why it has earned the nickname "frat water"

M- "The smooth pilsner with all natural ingredients" says it all

D- Could have a case and not be full. Which is not a good thing in a beer.

Lots of nostalgia here, but doesn't make it any better.

wahooman, Aug 22, 2009
2.15/5  rDev +28.7%

CANtastic! Yet another opportunity to review a CANned beer!

I got a finger of fluffy, bone-white head that slowly fell to wisps. Nose had a cereal quality along with a light lager sweetness. Just one more among many. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was watery thin with a mild sweetness on the tongue. Finish was thin, lightly dry, generally underwhelming. Why bother?

woodychandler, Aug 18, 2009
1.1/5  rDev -34.1%

I had out of a can while playing flip cup and a friends house...is there any other way?

While I don't even think it's worth going through, it slightly yellow tinted water with a skunky kind of scent.

It is so sour, skunk, it just is plain bad, unless your already ripped. I'm sure I'm not stating anything too ground breaking.

Amalak, Aug 06, 2009

I drank this from a can.

This is piss colored, carbonated, light gold with a bad white head and no lacing.

It smells like skunky beer.

It tastes like skunky beer too. I drank this a lot back in the day when I didn't know any better, now its the worst thing imaginable.

jrallen34, Aug 02, 2009