Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
mmopt

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Easily on my list of worst "beers" ever tried during my college years and that's being kind. If not for college though I may not have tried many things, and I suppose you need to drink through a keg of this to know how good real beer is.

So to the review: is this really a beer? Looks like a water with one tip of a tea bag in it. Smell gets a 1.5 only because it hardly has a smell. The taste of butt, if I knew what that tasted like. The mouthfeel and drinkability are it's highest values because if your overall goal is to get wasted on a summer afternoon in college, then you've arrived at your beer for cheap entertainment.

03-04-2009 19:37:26 | More by mmopt
woodske1

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

Another terrible beer from Anheuser-Busch. I wonder if they ever taste what they make?

From the smell to the aftertaste it is terrible. It tastes nothing like "Beer". It is bottled and cheap...that's about it. No hop aroma or taste, prolly none used.

03-03-2009 16:20:09 | More by woodske1
colts9016

Idaho

1.38/5  rDev -17.9%

I am reviewing this beer on the insist of beer drinking brother.

Poured into a pint glass at 37 degrees.

Appearance: A very light yellow with a one finger foamy head. The dissipates very quickly and leaves nothing behind. There is some effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear and brilliant.

Nose: Sweet malt, rice and some sulfur. In the back ground of the beer there is a cooked corn odor.

Taste: A sweet malt, rice, and cooked corn.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated and the body of the beer is super light. The finish, what finish. The beer truly taste like water with some chemical malt and corn additives. Don't know why, my dumb brother wanted me to review this beer.

03-02-2009 00:52:55 | More by colts9016
soupyman10

District of Columbia

2.03/5  rDev +20.8%

Got this once the Busch Light ran out. It's a slight step down, in my mind, although that might have no basis in "reality." It's just...not quite as good. Either way, it sucks, but it gets you wasted, and it's so nothing that it's really an issue to drink 10 or 20 of these if you're required. And Lord knows that happens.

Korean Store Next Door/$5/Six-pack

02-27-2009 22:47:22 | More by soupyman10
brianlg

2.08/5  rDev +23.8%

The college favorite..

There isn't a whole lot to say about this beer that hasn't been said. I grew up on this, and I'm sure a lot of other members have as well. Being in a frat right now, this is still all I ever see at parties, so since I've turned 21 I have been bringing my own 6 packs to them. Not really a beer to sit around and drink, It's made for a purpose-- to get poor college students drunk. I hate it, but love it at the same time. But I will never buy again with my own money!

02-24-2009 16:06:20 | More by brianlg
Thomajt

Alabama

2.35/5  rDev +39.9%

Oh Natty Light...

No sense in describing this beer, as most everyone on here has had it. All that can be said about this beer is...College parties

You can easily drink this beer all night and not feel the true effects until the next morning.

For it's price it is a decent beer, but spend about $3 more and you can make a much better purchase.

02-19-2009 21:11:27 | More by Thomajt
letsgoblue89

1.73/5  rDev +3%

Sweet Lord this beer is terrible. I mean, honest to God, the only thing Natty Light has going for it is the fact that it is not Natty Ice. It tastes awful, looks awful, smells awful, and is about as trashy as you can get. The reason I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability is that you can pound them easy due to the lack of taste. I kill ten or so of these per night on weekends, but only because that is what is available. God this beer is bad.

Note: Drinking this beer in a bottle can be equated to wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. You are trying to be formal, but really you're there to get drunk.

02-19-2009 02:35:02 | More by letsgoblue89
OzarkElmo

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

If you are on a really tight budget...then by all means spend an extra $3 a 30-pack and get a real light beer - Miller Lite. Hey, I am a St. Louis area native but this is just not a good "beer" at all. Not much to add - just read the other reviews and you will hear words like: "piss", "watery". Hey, I think it is "flat water mixed with urine". I guess it would do on a 100-degree day in the shade, and if a beer babe served you endless quantities...but back to reality and I would never buy this beer. Sorry, I do respect beer, but not this offering from A-B

02-16-2009 22:35:34 | More by OzarkElmo
kiosksblow

Maryland

1.73/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pale, pale golden yellow. Almost clear. One inch head but the pour was very aggressive and it is already reduced to a thin lace. A lot of fizz.

Smell: Weak aroma. Hard to notice any subtleties. I can smell a little corn with vigorous agitation.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Body is very thin, no prominent flavors poke through. Lightly acidic. Not sweet, not salty. Carbonation dominates mouthfeel. Reminds me of the carbonation burn of Coke, which is great for soda but not here. The mild taste after the initial carb burn reminds me of the first time I sipped a warm beer.

Drinkability: Club soda with a hint of grain and an ABV! Goes down like water, it sucks, but at forty cents per can, AB has a perfect niche for this 'beer'; beer pong cups at college campuses. It need not nor tries to be anything more than that. Who wants to waste an enjoyable beer in a pong cup anyway? Turn to Natural Light for your binge drinking needs.

02-14-2009 19:45:06 | More by kiosksblow
evilsoda

1.9/5  rDev +13.1%

Serving: Out of keg that was in trash can filled with ice and pored into red plastic cup

Appearance: gives pale yellow clear color with foamy head

Smell: None to speak of.

Taste: Like water with a hint of alcohol. Very low quality ingredients.

Mouthfeel: feels pretty watery

Drinkability: again, cause of it's water like characteristics, it's very easy to drink. Which is lovely if you're binge drinking

This is my preferred beer to get completely trashed off of, but I would never order it for any other occasion.

02-03-2009 01:24:14 | More by evilsoda
Bacong

2.25/5  rDev +33.9%

drank one from can, poured other into pint glass

Last night, some friends came over and brought some Natty Light. I do not normally drink beer as horrible as Natty, but when there's free beer around, I take advantage. I hadn't taken a sip of Natty in years, so here's my impressions from last night:

A: Carbonation was immense, like sprite. I could not believe the amount of carbonation in this beer. Probably because no one pours it into a glass and just chugs it.

S: Smells like nothing. The best I can think of would be someone dropping maybe a half ounce of alcohol into a bottle, and the rest of it water. and then that concoction sat with the cap off for weeks.

T: Tastes like it smells. The taste is not offensive in the fact that it will make you gag, but it IS offensive if you prefer a beer that actually bothers having a taste. This beer is tasteless. Water beer.

M: Water.

D: Water! The prevailing theme in this review. I chugged about 36 OZ of this beer in 5 minutes and I was not bloated in the slightest. The easiest drinking beer I've ever had.

Overall, if you want to get drunk for a very cheap price, and not be bloated, buy Natty Light. Just don't let anyone who respects your opinions about beer know.

01-18-2009 16:57:52 | More by Bacong
PatronWizard

1.58/5  rDev -6%

Yep. Offered at a relative's house. Sure, says I, I collect and review beer for a hobby.

Hard dump for a little head. Just like high school. Heh heh. Snap! Crackle! Pop! and it's gone. A lighter shade of urine. Really, my urine is much darker.

Didn't expect any aroma at all but it actually had a slight scent. Smells like old people.

Taste is near absent. Don't know what the taste is. I'm sure they put considerable effort into removing the taste. The weakest flavor I've ever encountered. So although it is offensive in theory, it isn't offensive in flavor.

Aha! I nailed down the taste: stale water. Like that glass that sits on your dresser for two months collecting dust, airborne pathogens, and pollutants until you accidentally walk by and take a big swig.

I think I feel the headache coming on already, which is ridiculous since this doesn't have any beer in it. I wonder what the secret headache causing impurity really is.

Overall: I need not say

01-12-2009 04:44:15 | More by PatronWizard
thekanna

Maryland

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance: Pale, clear yellow, just struggling for some color to distinguish it from water.

Smell: Smelling this is like trying to discern the smell of seltzer water. Faint yeasts, but nothing there to really notice.

Taste: This is like Corona Light Light. If you think Corona Light had no flavor, then imagine what this tastes like. Very faint malts and a metallic, cooked-veggie taste are there, but they're barely discernible because they're so diluted. Its ridiculous amount of carbonation tries to mask the fact that it has practically nothing. If Bud was your average Ford Focus, this would be like giving you a steering wheel, a broken transmission, and detached trunk full of dead squirrels. Start walking.

Drinkability: Chuggable, but even then I have a hard time chugging this because it's just so bad.

12-09-2008 04:36:36 | More by thekanna
Colt4540

Kansas

2.65/5  rDev +57.7%

As a college student I feel bad rating it this low, but when it comes right down to it this beer is actually pretty bad compared to others. As for other cheap American Light Lagers this is by far the best.

It looks alot like piss with little head even when poured aggresively. Little to no lacing or even froth at the top.

To me and Ragan09 smells alot like bananas with maybe a little corn smell.

The taste has a slight bitterness no real hoppy flavor or any complexity to it what so ever. Still more flavor then Busch Light or Bud Light.

There is alot of carbonation but not so much that all you do is burp. Its real crisp and clean and washes out nicley.

As for drinkablity you could easily pound 20 of them and finally get pretty drunk, and for 16$ a 30 pack its nice in college.

12-08-2008 07:49:10 | More by Colt4540
magictrokini

1.48/5  rDev -11.9%

I feel like I'm stabbing an old friend in the back. This and Keystone Light got me through college. Even then, I knew this was piss. Clear, yellow, fizzy pee. The taste was palateable in large quantities as it was watered down corn meal and sugar. But it was 12 cans of for $3.99. Who cares, at least it wasn't Hamm's, right?

12-04-2008 23:17:09 | More by magictrokini
Bagman007

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

This is THE ultimate college beer. If you went to college and drank at all, you likely had one of these. Clear white, yellow color. Has kind of a skunk smell to it. Taste like water with a hint of alcohol. Not as bad going down as Keystone. Definitely more watery than Keystone. It's very drinkable. Good for beer pong and just sitting around drinking. Cheap, the ultimate college beer.

12-02-2008 04:15:25 | More by Bagman007
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.6/5  rDev +54.8%

O.k This is a classic in it's own right for the college scene, partiers and cheap o's. I'm gonna pour this puppy out of it's can too see how it rates.

Well, The color is a pale, very pale white gold color with obvious big carboantion that creates a really thin layer of foam at the top that i guess we can concider the head. Oh, look it's gone!

The aroma is not offensive, it's a strange and very sweet malt scent that dominates. slightest hop scent...more of a bitter scent really. It does not have any 'off" aroma's, it's the lack of aroma that worries me.

The flavor is not killing me, it's a rather clean, watery....very watery, but sweet malt and slight bitter to sour after taste that does not linger and ends clean and refreshing as long as you don't let it sit around too long. The overly sour and metallic bitter finish is not present. That's a good thing.

I would actually concider this a Beer-style beverage.

11-29-2008 23:05:53 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
tanzaniakate

Washington

1.05/5  rDev -37.5%

Our neighbor, who turns down beer that's "beery beer," drinks this stuff when he's running out of money at the end of the month.

I couldn't actually see it, since it was in a can, so I don't know what the appearance is, so I gave it a 2 instead of a 1. If it were mindblowingly delicious, it would have an appearance of 5 with a vivacious straw-color and a luminescent transparency. Appearance doesn't mean squat anyway.

Tastes like metal, smells like metal, what more do you want?

11-28-2008 02:51:18 | More by tanzaniakate
Tone

2.08/5  rDev +23.8%

Weak or pale yellow in color that has little head and no lacing. Another light lager that smells of yeast and possibly corn. Fits the style, and that is a sad truth. Light (non-existent) body, but crisp. Wouldn't recommend for anyone who wants to enjoy a beer with body, but it does the trick for getting drunk very cheaply.

11-25-2008 02:27:30 | More by Tone
VaTechHopHead

2.15/5  rDev +28%

Pours with a very light golden hue and good luck getting much of a head. No lace whatsoever. It has almost no taste and water is the main flavor....exciting. But for college students who need quantity over quality it's a good choice....either that or a retro-college party with some friends which you'll regret it the morning. Avoid at all costs.

11-19-2008 23:56:22 | More by VaTechHopHead
cottonkoozie

3.03/5  rDev +80.4%

Appearance - Light straw color. Thick fluffy head that disappears VERY quickly, no lacing at all.

Smell - There is almost no smell, but what there is is mostly a corn smell with a slight hint of hops if you look for it.

Taste - Really not bad, its not good, but its not bad. Nothing offensive really about the taste, pretty clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel - Not over carbonated, pretty much the same as taste, not bad, not good.

Drinkability - I think I could drink a case of this stuff and still walk strait. You don't get tired of drinking it or full.

Perfect beer for tailgating, parties, or beer pong. Not something you drink to enjoy, deffinitely a party beer. For what it is, a macro american light beer that is extremely cheap, its actually really good. Out of the three commonly dirt cheap light beers (Keystone, Natty, and Busch), I would have to say this is by far the best.

11-18-2008 02:30:06 | More by cottonkoozie
HalfFull

2.1/5  rDev +25%

Pours a very clear, well clear, with a hint of yellow. A thin head accompanies and is rejuvenated somewhat by an occasional effervescence from the bottom center of the glass.

Typical scent of AB grains, rice and grass.

Taste of very light pale malts, no structure to speak of. Some vague hop notes are present but very faint.

'A smooth pilsner with all natural ingredients' per label. I had heard that this might just be bud light in a cheap disguise. It's not. I think I'll have a glass of wine.

10-31-2008 04:27:40 | More by HalfFull
zeff80

1.13/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Sadly this is the best part, maybe the pilsner glass helped the appearance, too. It was a light, golden yellow color with a fizzy, white 2+ finger head. No lace.

S - It smelled of adjuncts, corn and a foul sour funk/skunk.

T - It tasted bitter, not a hop bitter, a bad bitter. Corn and adjuncts.

M - It was thin, watery, and weak. A very light bodied beer.

D - A good reminder of why I only drink this at relatives houses.

10-31-2008 02:21:11 | More by zeff80
Magpie14

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

A: feeble yellow color, almost clear. Meager appearance and head.

S: a variety of grains, strange metallic sweetness...

T: think of eating off-brand cornflakes with water. Very thin and hard to even really describe.

M: light, champagne bubbly, not much else

D: you could drink a few, and if you chose to do so, drink'em fast. As it warms unnatural flavors start to emerge. Strange beer this is.

10-28-2008 01:15:11 | More by Magpie14
CampusCrew

Has to be up there as one of the lowest rank beers.

appearance: basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher. NO taste....

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

10-21-2008 17:55:44 | More by CampusCrew