Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev +80.4%

Appearance - Light straw color. Thick fluffy head that disappears VERY quickly, no lacing at all.

Smell - There is almost no smell, but what there is is mostly a corn smell with a slight hint of hops if you look for it.

Taste - Really not bad, its not good, but its not bad. Nothing offensive really about the taste, pretty clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel - Not over carbonated, pretty much the same as taste, not bad, not good.

Drinkability - I think I could drink a case of this stuff and still walk strait. You don't get tired of drinking it or full.

Perfect beer for tailgating, parties, or beer pong. Not something you drink to enjoy, deffinitely a party beer. For what it is, a macro american light beer that is extremely cheap, its actually really good. Out of the three commonly dirt cheap light beers (Keystone, Natty, and Busch), I would have to say this is by far the best.

cottonkoozie, Nov 18, 2008
2.1/5  rDev +25%

Pours a very clear, well clear, with a hint of yellow. A thin head accompanies and is rejuvenated somewhat by an occasional effervescence from the bottom center of the glass.

Typical scent of AB grains, rice and grass.

Taste of very light pale malts, no structure to speak of. Some vague hop notes are present but very faint.

'A smooth pilsner with all natural ingredients' per label. I had heard that this might just be bud light in a cheap disguise. It's not. I think I'll have a glass of wine.

HalfFull, Oct 31, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Sadly this is the best part, maybe the pilsner glass helped the appearance, too. It was a light, golden yellow color with a fizzy, white 2+ finger head. No lace.

S - It smelled of adjuncts, corn and a foul sour funk/skunk.

T - It tasted bitter, not a hop bitter, a bad bitter. Corn and adjuncts.

M - It was thin, watery, and weak. A very light bodied beer.

D - A good reminder of why I only drink this at relatives houses.

zeff80, Oct 31, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

A: feeble yellow color, almost clear. Meager appearance and head.

S: a variety of grains, strange metallic sweetness...

T: think of eating off-brand cornflakes with water. Very thin and hard to even really describe.

M: light, champagne bubbly, not much else

D: you could drink a few, and if you chose to do so, drink'em fast. As it warms unnatural flavors start to emerge. Strange beer this is.

Magpie14, Oct 28, 2008

Has to be up there as one of the lowest rank beers.

appearance: basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher. NO taste....

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

CampusCrew, Oct 21, 2008
1.88/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer was like the absence of sensory stimulation. Beers should not be known by negative superlatives, but odorless, colorless and tasteless all apply here. It's almost as light a yellow as cristal, the peruvian beer. It smells like nothing and metal. it tastes like water and a distant echo of cornflakes. mouthfeel and drinkability are both personal preference, and for what it is (frat beer, that's cheaper than dirt) it does the job. For me, I'm just not into it.

Beernoisseur, Oct 18, 2008
2.28/5  rDev +35.7%

Okay, respect beer, respect beer, respect...

American style light lager, 12oz. aluminum can. So consider the rating with respect to type.

I offered to help a friend replace a fuel pump in his Explorer and he supplied a cooler full of ice and "Naturals". Hot Alabama afternoon on a concrete driveway. Probably about as good as any other choice of beer. Drank straight from the can and ice cold from the cooler. Take a break, pop one open, drain it, back to work. Never put one down unless it's empty. Not one you'd want at "cellar" temp, let alone driveway temp. You'll make that mistake but once. But, ice cold and on a hot day, not bad. And it was shared with good friends. Which can make any beer a good beer.

Color...beats me, I can't imagine taking the time to pour one of these. I'll have to give it average marks anyway.

Smell...metallic, with a hint of corn and something that could be malt. Maybe out of a bottle would be better.

The taste...well, it was cold and sort of tasted like beer (using a coarse comparison). Crisp finish with no aftertaste. No real metallic notes transfer from the smell. A little on the sweet side, even being light.

Mouthfeel...thin, some carbonation.

My first experience with the Natural was years ago. My sister brought home a six pack and told me help myself. The first one I poured down the sink after the first sip, convinced it was bad. The second one went down behind it. Figured I'd leave the rest for her. That's when I learned about "Light" beer. There is a time and a place for this beer. And if someone else is buying, and the beer is cold, what the hell, I guess I'll have another.

ronny, Oct 13, 2008
1.9/5  rDev +13.1%

In my opinion, this isn't beer so much as it is a tool to get drunk. All the qualities of a good beer are absent here. A quickly dissipating head, a smell thats says "we tried to make a beer", really everything i was looking for. I understand that they use cheaper ingredient to make a cheaper product so that we can buy more of it, but any self respecting beer lover/homebrewer would agree that violates a few moral laws.

Rhynes2, Oct 07, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +51.8%

This is an exceptional beer if you prefer to get a cheap buzz, and a great alternative to keystone light or miller high life, coors' knockoff and miller's knockoff, respectively. This beer is the best of the worst, and also has the best price among its foul tasting competitors.

mattsg, Oct 03, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass

A - Poured a yellow gold. Had a big frothy two finger head that fell to a paper thin ring of bubbles in about 15 seconds. Head is completely gone half way down the glass. No lacing.

S - Very strong smell of cereal adjuncts and some mustyness. Not inviting.

T - A little bit of cereal taste up front followed by a sour and adjunct-full body. This beer finishes with a sickly sweet corn-mash flavor, and leaves a rancid cereal aftertaste that seems to be imploring you not to take another sip. Overall, taste is weak which is good considering how bad the it is.

M - Just like carbonated water

D - I traded a PBR to one of my brothers for one of these so I could review it. People in the house go through this stuff like crazy on the weekends, so I figured trading was better than buying a whole case of this crap. I remember drinking this as a freshman when I first came to school and thinking that it wasn't half bad... my how my taste has evolved. Even at less than 50 cents a can I wouldn't buy this, they'd need to pay me to drink it.... lots

Bockrules, Sep 30, 2008
1.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Stale yellow coloring with no head whatsoever. A strong alcoholic watery aroma that is as inviting as a public bathroom stall. Watery taste with smooth floral notes initially evolves into a stale drink aftertaste. Weak carbonation of a mouthfeel that doesn't balance well with the uninteresting taste. A feeble attempt for a beer but an American College legend nonetheless.

JRed, Sep 26, 2008
2.48/5  rDev +47.6%

Ah Natty Light... so many experiences with this one, from keg parties to a fridge full of 16 oz. cans playing drinking games.

I've come to realize that drinking games and keg parties are the only real use for this one. It's quite drinkable, becaues it's barely more than drinking water. Not much else to it, it barely tastes like beer, smells like beer, or even looks like beer.

Bonus points for the nostalgia, but not something you'd find in my fridge these days. Well, unless we're having a hurricane party.

theboozecruise, Sep 17, 2008
2.33/5  rDev +38.7%

A- Light straw color, light head, very bubbly, seems to look over carbonated.

S-smells like old alcohol, reminds me of drunk fans at a baseball game.

T- Not to good, overpowering watered down alcohol taste, way to much carbonation, seems like it would never go flat.

D- Easy to drink, not much to it, no flavor, watery.

TerjUGA, Sep 12, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -3%

light straw color. fizzy head that quickly falls to nothing, very minimal lacing.
enormous bubbles. looks more like a soda than a beer.
smell almost not there, mineral water with faint traces of stale malt.

flavor is that of seltzer water that's been poured into a glass recently emptied of beer. i am not exaggerating. that's how it strikes me.

mouthfeel also like seltzer water. it's a form of diet soda without any form of sweetener.

in terms of cost per unit flavor this abomination is seriously expensive. can't believe i used to think fairly highly of it in college. has the natural light changed, or just me?

brewmudgeon, Sep 10, 2008
2.33/5  rDev +38.7%

12-ounce can poured into a shaker pint glass yields a clear pale golden body with streamers of active carbonation and a medium-bubbled cap of white foam.The head retreats quickly into a ring that leaves no lacing on the glass.

What smell there is a bit grainy with a tiny herbal note.

The taste is a bit herbal and sweet with a little tang and a surprisingly dry finish.

The drink is thin-bodied with a tickle of carbonation. Great drinkability in situations where refreshment is the objective and any real flavor or substance a hindrance.

cvstrickland, Sep 09, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -31.5%

The beer of choice during my College years but haven't really touched it since. It definitely is a College kid beer. Saying I've had it "many times" just doesn't tell the story. I can't bring myself to say too many bad things about this beer. So many good times where fueled by the Naty Light. For what it's worth I preferred it over Busch. And you simply cannot beat the price. However, I just don't think I could even stomach this anymore.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
1.33/5  rDev -20.8%

The palest of yellows, this is also a pale reflection of what a beer should be. Tons of foam upon pouring that quickly fades to a thin cap that leaves surprisingly nice lacing. A faint aroma like cornflakes. No malt, no hops, no... anything! Alcoholic water. Weak. It tastes like unfulfilled dreams.

thekevlarkid, Aug 20, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a pale golden yellow with little to no head. Aroma was cereal grains and not much else. Taste was also of cereal grains, but light and refreshing and no aftertaste. Texture was watery and a lot of carbonation. This is a light body beer with not much flavor, but it is one of my favorites for the fishing trips. One can pound a lot of these and not feel much.

tbeck, Aug 17, 2008
2.38/5  rDev +41.7%

Natural Light is one of those beers with sentimental value to me...the first beer I have tasted perhaps, it is still the most common beer that I see people drink, obviously due to its price...I have found Natural Light to be so unbearable for me now a days that even on a 90 degree day on the beach with 100% humidity I find myself turning down Natty...Sad, but everyone has to grow up I suppose

scottyshades, Aug 16, 2008
2.13/5  rDev +26.8%

Oh Natural Light, my favorite beverage to buy in packs of 30 for $12.77 at the convenience store 200 feet from my house on a way to a party!

Appearance - Don't leave it sitting around your house in a glass, somebody might mistake it for lemonade. Not that when they take a sip and spit it out it isn't funny, but let's be honest, who wants to clean up natty?

Smell - I can't rate it as awful....because there isn't one. I checked my sinuses by rating another beer, smelling a can of coffee and they are working perfectly....there's just nothing here

Taste - Similar to smell...it isn't? So, I guess I can't rate something as awful that I can't taste....but I think I might be thrown out of the forums if I rate it any higher than 2.0....

Mouthfeel - Goes down like water. Unlike most vodka's that claim they they go down like water and feel like you're drinking ethanol, Natural Light drinks like water...you just feel like you drank ethanol when you wake up the next morning.

Drinkability: An easy session beer. Simply kill 5 as fast as possible, wait 10 minutes and then you're fine to drink them all night.

mwa423, Aug 15, 2008

I drank one of these from a half-empty case left by partying college kids at a neighborhood beach. Presumably the abandoned it accidentally. This beverage is very pale in color, and has virtually no smell or taste. It feels like water going down the chute. If you're thirsty, it may be better than nothing, but I'll stick with my bottle of spring water. For the college kids (only over 21), without a developed taste for malt and hops, this may be a good way to chill with friends.

jushoppy2beer, Jul 29, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -8.9%

I grew up on this stuff so got used to it, but then after getting the early college years I quickly switch to a minimum of Miller products as my cheap alternative. This stuff is hardly beer in my opinion, but it will get you drunk for a very cheap ticket... Something like $13-$15 w/ Michigan deposit for a 'dirty thirty' (30 pack of next day regrets) So watery and highly carbonated... this is my exact opposite picture of what a beer should be... The only way I drink this now and days is if it's free to me, I'm utterly desperate, or the only other option is Busch Light! (ahh!)

klintok21, Jul 25, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -8.9%

First off, let me say I am reviewing this for the folly of it all. I got it from my fridge and who knows where it came from or how long it had been there.

A. Poured from a 12 oz can into a frosted mug. Palest yellow with some head that sticks around and shows some lace. Not a terrible start.

S. Takes a dive in the smell. Smells like garbage. The kind thats been sitting out for quite some time. I'm in for a bad one.

T. Extremely light. A watered down beer experience. Starts off grainey with a bit of a corn taste, a slight bitter note is barely noticed which must be some sad attempt to hop this beer. Finishes off slightly metallic.

M. Just like water. A bit bubbly like watered down seltzer water.

D. This can be drank and is by a devoted crowd of poor college kids. I am not impressed. In fact, I'm disappointed....in myself...for drinking this.

Stinkypuss, Jul 22, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -37.5%

Forgot how bad this beer was. Last time I had it was about 4 years ago in college. Pours a pale yellow with not much of a head. Looks like water with some pale ale mixed in. Smells like grain and...well nothing. Taste is bland, and nearly non-existent. Aftertaste is pretty awful though. I'm not sure this can be classified as beer, but I suppose it has to be since they check your ID when you buy it...

jdubjacket, Jul 15, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +31%

Appearance: Very pale and very clear; I held the can almost totally upside down as I poured it into a pilsner glass, creating a decent amount of fizzy, bubbly head. It disappeared completely within about 15-20 seconds.

Aroma: Lightly sourish; the faint notes of hops, rice, barley, and alcohol combine to form an inoffensive, nearly impossible to define scent.

Taste: Extremely light and crisp. The hops are pretty much invisible, leaving only a very slight tannin aftertaste on the tongue. The bulk of the flavor is bland and inoffensive, tasting mostly of rice and some non-identifiable grains.

Verdict: This is about as no-frills as a beer can get. It's cheap and goes down like water, which is why it's so popular on college campuses, but there's no beer enjoyment to be found. Still, at $12 bucks for a 30 pack, I guess you could do worse.

bearrunner44, Jul 14, 2008