Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
dmamiano

West Virginia

1.95/5  rDev +16.1%

Handed to me at a surprise 50th birthday party so I figured, "what the heck".
Really didnt get much of a look at this beer, but the smell was pretty typical of the style. Sweet corn, a skunky note, with absolutely no malt or hops in this beer. adjunct city.
Taste was pretty lousy, although typical of style. Very thin mouthfeel, with an overwhelming taste of corn...sugar.
Nothing resembling beer at all.

12-22-2007 13:36:33 | More by dmamiano
Overlord

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

To be quite honest, I haven't had this beer in a long, long time. However, I can assure you that the taste is seared into my taste buds and brain tissue as though a red hot brand had been applied to those areas.

The drink of choice amongst college students, primarily because a 24 pack could be had for the change found in most fraternity common area couches.

A weird corn/dirt aftertaste, carbonated to the hilt, and a mouthfeel and consistency that resembles water. So. Bad. Only the truly legendary Gluek Ice stands out more clear in my mind as an example of a terrible macro lager.

But, so many good memories. . .

11-25-2007 09:25:44 | More by Overlord
clayrock81

1.55/5  rDev -7.7%

There is almost nothing that distinguishes this from water. I am not going to really get it into the beer - I think the fact that is a substandard Macro light lager on the cheap (read: they make this for people who can't afford Bud Light) should tell you what to expect. This is smoother and not as strong on the tongue than Natty Ice, but that's why it is light. I guess if you want to be able to drink for a long time w/o feeling the effects mentally or financially, this is your beer.

11-24-2007 20:53:01 | More by clayrock81
KiltedCulinarian

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

One of the beers of choice for poor college students. Watery in both texture and flavor, it is light in just about every sense of the word. Hardly any taste of alcohol, which makes it drink like water, but because of this it is difficult to get a buzz before your stomach fills up. It's main attractiveness is its price, which I have to admit is almost unbelievable. For my tastes however, I think it's worth it to spend the extra money.

11-15-2007 06:40:38 | More by KiltedCulinarian
DoubleJ

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Welcome everyone to the College Light Invitational! In this meet, four watered down beers meet their match to decide which one of these budget light beer should be the choice at frat parties. Natty Light, High Life Light, Keystone Light, and cheap import Tecate Light represent the pool in this competition. Natty Light leads it off...

Oh and one other thing, the gimmick for the College Light Invite involves a seperate 7 ounce glass. Why you ask? I'm going to take shots of each beer in that glass to guesstimate each ones "chuggability" (similar to the "buzzability" in the College Invite a few months ago). I'm going to time each shot from each beer, and if it doesn't come out of my mouth, it will get a score from 1 to 5. With that said, let me pop the top of Natty Light and let's get the college party started:

I couldn't tell if this was beer or watery ginger ale at first. I must be the first consumer of Natty Light in months to pour his sample into a clear glass. A sizeable head rises from the clear, colorless body, and crackles slowly within seconds. Smell is extremely vague, a touch of sweet corn, and that's it. The taste, as expected, is very watery. Odd fermented corn flavor exists in this one too, just like in the more lethal Natty Ice. It blankets on the palate for too long, making it very unpleasant. Wow, I'm having second thought about taking a long 7 ounce shot of this, it's hard enough to keep a straight face after each sip.

Now I will attempt to chug this vile liquid from the 7 ounce glass. Ok, here goes... run away! I spat it out when I tried. So you guess it, Natty Light's chuggability rating receives a N/A, incomplete. Funny, I couldn't even get buzzed off Natty Ice because it was so awful, I couldn't finish it, which also received an incomplete in the College Invite. I guess apples don't fall far from the tree.

Natty Light has sunk my experience on BA to new lows. After this experience, I had to break out a bottle of EKU 28 to ease the pain. So will Miller High Life Light be enough to erase the bad memory from tonight? Find out tomorrow night, the second part of the College Light Invitational.

11-09-2007 05:50:56 | More by DoubleJ
Taipans

Missouri

1.18/5  rDev -29.8%

I had my first "natty light" last night at a friends house. How I avoided this beer for so many years is beyond me!

Its almost clear, very pale yellow. I can't smell much of anything, maybe some corn? The taste has to be the most shocking part of this beer. I swear it tastes exactly like selzter water! Every sip I swished it around trying to pick up any hint of hops, malt, anything. Nope, just carbonated water!

Mouthfeel was light as can be, I guess you could really put down a ton of these. I can see why outside of its cheapness why its a favorite college drink.

This has to be the beer for people who don't like beer. It has an amazing lack of everything!

11-03-2007 22:41:30 | More by Taipans
armock

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Well the only reason I'm drinking this tonight is because of beer pong and its wicked cheap

A - Straw color not much to look at

S - Corny earthy not so good

T - not so good

M - not so bad but its not good at the same time

D - Honestly I'd only drink it again for beer pong or some other stupid drinking game

11-02-2007 02:52:04 | More by armock
dsa7783

2.05/5  rDev +22%

A friend of mine brought this over, who was obviouslly trying to get as much brew for his buck as he could... 'Nuff said... This beer was an absolute bummer and a bore... At $2.99 for a six-pack, I guess it's a decent sample if you don't have too much dough, but for the average consumer, definitely not worth a try unless you're scrounging for coins trying to come up with enough change to buy anything to drink... I remember back in college, this was the beer of choice for most undergrads living on less than $50 bucks a week... If you're not absolutely broke, don't even bother...

11-01-2007 01:06:10 | More by dsa7783
MMAJYK

1.85/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pale yellow color.

S- Faint smells of beer at all.

T- Taste of water with a touch of wheat and hops. Very strange after taste that lingers on the tongue.

M- Mouthfeel is watery, no malt no back bone, no solidity.

D- Drinkable only if you are in desperate need for a beer.

10-29-2007 20:33:48 | More by MMAJYK
mareyna82

1.58/5  rDev -6%

This is definitely a college frat party beer. Not much to speak about. just your classic display of a generic american lager. apearance is yellow and fizzy, nose is dull and stale, taste is very carbonated and yeasty, feels like you're drinking water. finishes with a dry old dusty taste.

10-23-2007 06:00:52 | More by mareyna82
brewintheLou

Missouri

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

I would never want to suggest that someone drink Natty Light, but I must admit that when I was a young lad in college for the first year I had my fair share of this shit back in '97/'98. I guess if all you have is about ten bucks in Weatherford, OK pick up a case of this and have a ball.

Warning: Natty must be consumed in MASS consumption because you for sure want those taste buds to be deadened when this cold gold is poured into your mouth.

10-19-2007 20:41:01 | More by brewintheLou
mithrascruor

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz. can poured into a glass (but only to satisfy my curiosity).

Appearance: Super-pale (pallid?) yellow, fizzy moderate head, and quite a bit of visible carbonation. Head turns to a fizzy film that gathers at once side of the glass, seemingly defying gravity.

Smell: Kind of a semi-sweet not-too-appealing malty grainy aroma. Somehow smells "sticky".

Taste: Mild, stale malt flavor, then nothing, and then followed with a somewhat wretched finish aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Beyond light-bodied. Light but excessive carbonation; seems very artificial.

Drinkability: Drinkable... but why?

An extremely cheap beer that isn't even worth buying when you're broke. It tastes so artificial and unappealing.

10-12-2007 02:49:28 | More by mithrascruor
wesleyhighley

3.18/5  rDev +89.3%

I've had so many of these over the course of my college career that I eventually got to the point where I couldn't taste it anymore. It is a beginner's beer. It helps you adjust to having alcohol in your mouth and primes the tastebuds for a lifetime of better beers. If you're into drink a lot, this fits the bill. If you're into drinking for enjoyment, you'd be better off finding something a bit more, uh, mature.

I can't deny where I came from, but I sure am glad I've "graduated" on to more diverse beers.

10-08-2007 23:35:01 | More by wesleyhighley
erosier

Connecticut

2.53/5  rDev +50.6%

This is a very cheap light beer that delivers on a watered down flavor. The color is a very light yellow that is not that appealing. The aroma is very bland with the pungent smell of cheap beer. The taste is not much better. It has a nice refreshing mouthfeel because it is a watered down light beer. The finish is not very good but it is quite drinkable and if you are looking to drink alot of beer for very cheap, this just might be your beer.

10-08-2007 19:35:13 | More by erosier
iconoklaztor

Indiana

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

I'm ONLY reviewing this because the guy below me gave this beer a 4.75?!?!?! First off giving a macrobrew a 4.75?!?!?!

I dont know where to start. i just wanted to point out Nattie Light received a 4.75

taste = no
smell = uh no
drinkable = kinda but I wouldnt WANT to drink more than 1/4 of one.

09-25-2007 06:06:40 | More by iconoklaztor
Floydster

1.55/5  rDev -7.7%

Can from a twelve pack of my roomates

First time trying this one as well as my last

Only thing to do with this is play games like beer pong and **** the dealer

Horrible aftertaste and stale smell

Only good thing is that has one more percentage of alcohol than most domestic light beers

There is a reason why this is eight dollars for a twenty four pack

Stay away from this if possible

09-10-2007 04:35:24 | More by Floydster
jwc215

Wisconsin

1.6/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours very light straw yellow with a fizzy head that disappears as soon as the pour is finished. Quick, overwhelming carbonation makes it look like light straw-colored soda-water. Its clarity is second to clear, cool water....

The smell is of...of...of...ok - struggling - but...some slight husk ... and... uh... dirty water...

This is lamer than tonic water - There is the ever so small hint of anything approaching beer. But, it vanishes upon swallowing. On the can it says "smooth taste"...Does "smooth" have a "taste", per se? Oh well - I would have given the taste a lower score, however it's rather "clean" if that is what you're going for...

Probably the most watery beer I ever had - at least it doesn't leave a bad aftertaste...ugghhh...

One's enough...I like beer - this is barely (if at all) a beer...This is like tonic water with a light splash of alcohol...with the faintest of adjuncts...

Whatever. Earlier this summer, I was sitting at the pool and someone saw me drinking a Genesee Red. He said he would trade me with one of what he was drinking - I "fell" for it - I put this into the cooler to rate at a different time. He gulped it down (straight from the can), commented on how "heavy" it was ... Some people are just stuck in macro-land...For those people - this one - well...tastes smooth (?) ....

09-05-2007 23:58:25 | More by jwc215
musicjustintime

2.7/5  rDev +60.7%

It is what it is...How many times have we said that?! Really, it's not that bad for a light beer. I don't care for light beer, but the gut is getting outta hand..so I picked this up as a spacer. Haven't had it in a couple years, and it really hasn't gotten any better. I've always figured, why pay MORE for LESS of a product though? Like Miller Lite...it's $22/30pk, Bud Light, Mich. Ultra, etc... They all cost WAY too much for what little they are. SO, if you're gonna do light...why not go cheap. I just paid $13.75 INCLUDING tax for a 30/pk. and the calories and carbs are just as low...even lower than some lights. It has more flavor than alot of lights, but not the greatest flavor. It IS smooth, I must say, and watery, therefore very drinkable. Has that "Bud/AB" familiar flavor, to me, however slight it is. A decent light, if there is such a thing. Does the job, and ice cold on a hot day...hits the spot. If you're a light beer drinker, and have never tried this...I doubt you'll hate it, and you may even like it better than the big 3's light offerings. Well, it is an A/B product, so if you're a Bud Light drinker...give this one a try. It's clean, smooth, slightly refreshing. So is water though! Happy drinkin' my friends! Cheers and as we Italians say..."SAAALOOOT!"

08-30-2007 13:41:15 | More by musicjustintime
zerofear13

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Again, any brew that can be purchased in 30-packs probably isn't the most delicious beverage. Pours out a watery yellow, with a quickly fading head. Not appealing, but in line with most light beers in the category. The smell is hops and an acidic sourness. Taste starts with a buttery corn taste similar to other light beers, but then followed by an acidic alcohol tart afterward. Not very pleasant, and probably one of the worst light beer tastes. Overall, with the exception of the taste, this is in line with other light beers. The taste, however, makes it significantly lower than other beers. On the plus side, it's one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen, but drink at your own risk.

08-21-2007 14:21:32 | More by zerofear13
pmcadamis

2.05/5  rDev +22%

Another 99 cent can picked up at the grocery store tonight.

A - Clear slightly yellow brew....the color of healthy urine. A one finger cap of fizz disappears by the time I set the can down on my desk. This is one of the worst looking beers ever.

S - Sweet corn on the cob with some mild diacetyl butter notes. Very weak, but it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it looks.

T - Buttery, tangy, and a bit sour. Some apple flavors in there somewhere. Reminds me of stale popcorn with some really sour and rotten butter on it. But for a light lager this actually has more flavor than is par for the course. It's still pretty bad though.

M - Watery, crisp with butt-loads of carbonation, and a slightly dry and very sour finish.

D - Decent. If you must drink a light beer, this one ain't so bad.

08-16-2007 04:57:22 | More by pmcadamis
Brad007

Vermont

Pours an yellow, fizzy color with a head that doesn't last. Taste is somewhat watery with only a mild corn background. Definitely tastes like drinking fouled water. For being one of A-B's "budget" beers, I'm not too shocked. If you like your beers to go down easy and taste like nothing, this beer's for you.

07-31-2007 01:59:34 | More by Brad007
frankbro

1.55/5  rDev -7.7%

Piss yellow with a 11/2 in head that quickly disappears with hardly a trace. An astringent odor of cereal with a noticeable absence of malt. Much worse than Bud regular, my benchmark of poor beers. If you need a cheap light beer, drink Stroh's. They use malt. My high score on drinkability is not for palatability. It just goes down fast. The faster the better.

07-16-2007 22:26:50 | More by frankbro
plaid75

2.65/5  rDev +57.7%

Poured a very light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

Th smell featured a light sweet corn malt with a smattering of hop, maybe.

The taste consisted of a seltzery boiled corn with some weak balancing hops. Not all that offensive actually.

The mouthfeel was thin and ultra carbonated.

Overall not the worst light beer I have had, but not really recommended.

07-14-2007 04:13:47 | More by plaid75
Spikester

Oregon

2.75/5  rDev +63.7%

Having sampled all the big brewers offerings in the light category this one wins by a slight margin over Coors light. If you are looking for a great party beer that is inoffensive to most (and inexspensive)this is it. I don't know why anyone would drink Bud-light after trying A-B Natural light. Bud light tastes like Bud with water added.
The down-side: If you are into big-flavor this ain't it. It is in no-way comparible to a micro-brew, but it is tasty and swill-able. No bad attributes. Other reviewers have referred to this as a great college beer. I must agree. Serve cold.

07-13-2007 21:21:41 | More by Spikester
Glazed144

1.58/5  rDev -6%

The best of the cheap crappy beers. It has no taste, goes down smooth, and gets you drunk, anything positive someone says outside that is clearly a lie. Great for power hours. Great when you want to mass consume and don't feel like tasting anything.

06-30-2007 02:30:20 | More by Glazed144