Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -10.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. can with the well-known “born on” date on the bottom.

Appearance: Excessively pale, transparent yellow. Sadly, there is little head to speak of and it dissipates quickly after pouring. I’ve heard some liken Natty Light’s appearance to city water, but that’s an offense to tap water in Richmond. While saying it looks painful to drink may be extreme, it cannot be far off.

Smell: Cooked grain and what seems to be corn dominate the aroma of this beer. Even at 4.2%, you can smell the alcohol in this one.

Taste: Low on the malts, low on the hops. The corn smell carries over into the flavor and dominates the beer. The aftertaste is sweet and somewhat metallic. it. In all honesty, it tastes like lightly malted water.

Mouthfeel: Apart from the extremely thin body, there is little carbonation in this beer. The result is something in between beer and water. I’m thinking it is closer to the latter.

Drinkability: From my past college years, I’ve heard this beer called “Beast” repeatedly. I’m not sure if it’s quite that offensive (maybe the hangovers are), but I can barely call it beer. This is something that frat boys need to practically freeze and drink very quickly, as if it’s a malt liquor. If you want a light beer, stick to something better like Sam Adams light.

RealityDeviant, May 25, 2005
2.15/5  rDev +28.7%

Appearance - Very, very pale, and crystal clear. Not much head to speak of, and it did not last long.

Smell - The beer has a light grainy smell, and that "American lager" that I cannot really put a finger on. No hop aroma.

Taste - There is not a lot of flavor in this beer, and there is only a minimal aftertaste. No detectable hop presence. I would desribe the taste as faintly grainy. It does not taste bad. This beer might not be half bad if the grain bill was beefed up.

Mouthfeel - Minimal body. The carbonation adds a little feel, but this beer is otherwise very watery.

Drinkability - This beer is easy to drink. Too easy. The only thing that slows me down is the carbonation. I don't get much enjoyment at all from drinking this beer.

Comments - Crisp, pretty clean, and refreshing. It's a shame a beer with these positive characteristics still falls flat.

mgdeth, May 22, 2005
1.53/5  rDev -8.4%

You know it is bad when you have to look at the can again to make sure you are drinking beer. This is a very sharply carbonated beer that reminds me of alka-seltzer. Relatively shallow flavor that resembles cornflakes, and kinda a pale finish, not too much after-taste. There really isn't too much to say for taste because it just plain lacks it.

I don't know why this beer is popular on college campuses when there are cheaper beers out there that taste better.

zao77, Apr 14, 2005
2.2/5  rDev +31.7%

I accidentally clicked "cask-conditioned". Good thing I saw that and corrected it. Whew!

Leftover from a gag at a blind tasting party I had a few weeks ago, this beers pours into the pilsener glass with a soda pop style head that dissipates slightly slower than Dr. Pepper. I've seen darker ginger ales. The beer is almost clear. The smell hit me from a foot away. Overcooked corn, old piss beer smell. Taste was typical for a light adjunct lager, in other words, not much of a taste, except for that beer soda bubbles on the tongue feel. Crispy finish, which is what truly separates it from the typical soft drink, but not enough to separate it from a club soda. You can drink these. They're certainly cheap enough.

I tried to pass it off to the wife as an example of a Blonde Ale. She looked at it, smelled it, sipped it, and said, 'It's ok, I guess. Tastes like a regular lager." She had even less of it than I did and left it on the counter. I was so proud of her. She's coming right along on this clandestine beer appreciation project.

pentathlete, Mar 19, 2005
2.38/5  rDev +42.5%

Smells of crap white wine. This is possibly the lightest beer I have ever contemplated. Head dissipates pretty quickly leaving rim around glass. Taste is similar to nose. I actually don't mind the feel of these cheap brews, and after a while they are very drinkable despite their mediocrity.

Decent for cheap alcoholic bliss: as bland as beer gets.

charlatan, Mar 06, 2005
2.6/5  rDev +55.7%

Rating this beer as terrible because it tastes like water is an injustice. It is what it is. Take a carload to the beach on spring break and you're in business. If you are relaxing for a night of sampling this isn't for you because it tastes like T Total shit. If you're trying to get wasted on a budget then what are your alternatives? I love beer with the best of them but you won't see me stumbling down the beach with a St. Bernardus anytime soon. I'll have a Natty Light thank you very much.

Appearance: Lighter than urine, darker than water.

Smell: See above

Taste: See above

Mouthfeel: See above

Drinkability: Have to be cut off to quit drinking this stuff.

Cheers

wcu80, Feb 28, 2005
1.75/5  rDev +4.8%

man this beer sucks, and i actually poured it in a glass....
pours light clear yellow with a white head that vanishes better than houdini.
smells almost like nothing, maybe a tiny bit of yeast and a little bit of skunk's butt.
taste is just like the smell, almost nothing, very watery but there does seem to be a slightly bitter aftertaste.
mouthfeel is very thin and watery with a few bubbles.
despite how crappy this beer is, it is actually very drinkable. it's really cheap and goes down like water. low ABV makes it easy to drink all night. after a few it really does taste like water. if you drink a lot of it just beware that it has been known to cause a stomach condition on the following day known as the "natty splatties".

ghurux86, Feb 28, 2005
1.13/5  rDev -32.3%

In a 12 oz can. Not exactly willing to pour this, as it's a 'swill and drop' beer. I try not to smell it often, but it does have a metallic nose that fights somewhat with it's negligible grain scent. THe taste is more bite that it is hops and malt. The beer is light on the flavors it should have, and not at all smooth. A staple at PSU Fraternity parties, and what one must drink if they want to drink for free.

mjc410, Feb 17, 2005
2.38/5  rDev +42.5%

One of the palest beers I have ever seen. Seltzer-like carbonation, non-offensive. Cheap alternative to Bud Light, etc. Surprisingly drinkable and refreshing. Low-cal if you are worried about that sort of thing. Pros: cheap, light, refreshing. Cons: boring, macrobrew, pitifully plain, flavorless.

ahking, Jan 16, 2005
2.3/5  rDev +37.7%

This basically is a cheap summer party brew to impress your buddies at how much you can funnel before you throw up all over yourself, sleep in the street, and wind up missing your eyebrows.

Not offensive, slight metallic taste, low on the typical cooked veggie. Somehow clean and crisp, like drinking a beer flavored water. A hot beach, a cooler, and a lawnchair. Certainly one can't be bringing any Olde Schoool barleywhine to the beach unless they want to wake up floating in the middle of the ocean.

wailingwench, Dec 31, 2004
2.42/5  rDev +44.9%

I cannot believe i'm entering this as a review, but due to sheer volume of consumption that I accrued during this Holiday, I have to.

"Dad, we should pick up some Sam Adams before we get to the aunt's. She loves the Natty."

Oh no, they know you like the good stuff, and i'm sure they'll have at least something decent to drink.

(grumble, grumble)

At the aunt's: "You want a beer?" Of course, I answer ... assuming that she knows that I like real beer. She brings me a Natty Light. I'm obliged to give it a shot.

Well, yeah, its water ... and moreover, I had a good 6-8 of these with absolutely no buzz whatsoever. But I did like it better than my most recent Budweiser experience, only in that there's no taste instead of a shitty taste. I'd drink again if it was a) free b) a million degrees outside and c) free.

I've never experienced Mich Ultra and that's kin, but this truly tasted like beer seltzer water. Least it didn't give me a splitting tummy ache like it did the last time I drank it, 5 years ago or more.

GreenWBush, Dec 27, 2004
3.1/5  rDev +85.6%

Natural Light is a good cheap beer. It would be unrealistic to expect NL to have the qualities of an expensive import or microbrew, so I'll try to judge it entirely on its own merits.

Color? It's yellow. End of story.

In my opinion, NL has a very faint "beer smell" that's neither bad nor good, more like..."neutral".

The taste can only be described as "extremely watery". The flavor (if you can call it that) isn't offensive, but it lacks any kind of character or distinguishing traits.

As far as mouthfeel goes, once again the key words are "extremely watery". Flat and dull.

Natural Light goes down very smoothly, so I think it has an above-average drinkability quotient. Perfect for outdoor drinking on a scorchin' hot day, but not a brew that you would serve if you're trying to impress a "beer snob".

Vito, Dec 04, 2004

I honestly do not understand the fascination w/ this absolute shitty beer. It seems it's almost always this @ college parties... IT SUCKS!!! Maybe it's because I don't flock to light beer like every single other spineless American, but there are so many other beers out there for the same price. If you're gonna go w/ cheap beer, get Pabst of Evil Eye or something. Don't torture yourself w/ awful light beers.

emre007, Nov 23, 2004
1.75/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance-very pale color with traces of gold, fizzy head that dissapears in seconds.

Smell-very clean, I really don't smell anything at all, maybe cooked veggies?

Taste-again it's really clean, there is virtually nothing here it's like drinking water.

Mouthfeel-too clean, there is nothing here, slight grainy aftertaste but you don't really taste much at all.

Drinkability-chug these like water, all they are good for, for everyone else, get a real beer!!

Overall-is this beer?!?! Doesn't have any beer characteristics. Cheap buzz is all it's good for, drink em like water, or get a real beer my friend.

TheDeuce, Nov 07, 2004
1.2/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a crystal clear yellow, the color of a nice wheatfield (which probably contributed no ingredients to this brew), with a mountainous white head that quickly receeded to a thin cloud across the top.

Aroma reminds me of opening that box of Lucky Charms that you opened a couple of months ago to eat all the marshmellows and forgot you put the rest of it back in the cabinet (try it with Shiner Bock, breakfast of champions!), mixed with a nice metallic aroma.

Taste seems a bit like those Lucky Charms, too, for a second, then it switches gears to that 'just-got-a-metal-filling-from-the-dentist' aftertaste. Crisp feel, about like half-flat sparkling water (haven't seen that around in a while).

If drinkablity means being able to swig this swill all night long with no regrets in the morning, it's a five... Well, maybe not the 'no regrets' part. If drinkability means being able to enjoy drinking this beer all night long, well, yeah...

Rio, Nov 02, 2004
1.1/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Less color that piss. Like diluted corn or something. Small fizzy head.
Smell: Adjuncts galore.
Taste: More corn or rice than anything else besides water. It's disgusting but rates slightly higher than other beers of it's class because it has the least flavor of them all. It's discraceful that that makes it better.
Mouthfeel: Watery.
Drinkability: More drinkable than Beast and Stone, for what it's worth.

jvajda, Sep 14, 2004
1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Okay, apparently they decided they needed a "light" version of their already rancid beer. I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but this could possible be the worst tasting piss water in existence. I mean, thats what I thought it was. Then someone told me that I was drinking beer and I was like "HOLY SHIT?"

Seriously though, this is just as bad as Busch Light and Corona Light. They all reek of fermenting cereal grains and rat shit, and its actually a wonder why they taste like water and not sewage.

hulmanite, May 27, 2004
1.1/5  rDev -34.1%

This is quite possibly the worst American beer on the planet. I realize many people grow up on this stuff and everyone needs to start their beer drinking somewhere, but this shit is rancid. I myself used to drink this stuff by the bucket in my early college days, and in hindsight I should have just taken shots of something and saved myself the trouble.

cptnjck101, May 19, 2004
1.1/5  rDev -34.1%

Well as much as I detest these beers, I was given one today, and as I always try to be polite, I accepted it, it’s been like 4 years since I sampled one, so what’s the harm.

The beer as it pours from the 12 ounce aluminum can, forms a transparent gold color with a bright white head and the lace a very thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is all malt, sweet, fresh and crisp to the senses, start is lightly sweet, some malt noticed, the top is cadaverous. Finish has a benign acidity, the hops negligible, very dry, guess its better than dying of thirst, but only barely.

Gusler, Apr 25, 2004
1.18/5  rDev -29.3%

It's not easy to be worse than Natty Ice. But this beer has done it. The quality is bottom of the barrel. Clear light yellow with absolutly no head. The smell was non existant. The taste was very much like rice and a bit of a ginger ale taste. I couldn't finish the whole thing. Nasty stuff.

CBFanWish, Mar 18, 2004
1.75/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a standard Macrobrew yellow, a bit darker than most lights.

Smell is sweet with some grain smells.

Taste is not much, a little sweet, and that is about all.

Mouthfeel is water.

Drinkable, there is nothing offensive or endearing about this brew at all.

Zorro, Mar 10, 2004
1.83/5  rDev +9.6%

The "new" Natural Light (2/23/04): Nothing like re-reviewing the "Natty". This is the new version, the one with lower carbs, etc. Pours out slightly darker than the original version. Aroma is still that of cooked veggies and cereal. The taste is nearly non-existent, but is actually less metallic tasting than it used to taste, and although incredibly watery, its not offensive, because there isn't enough flavor pro or con to be offensive. Remarkably light, and made the Bell's Two-Hearted that followed seem like the most powerful beer ever.

Original Review (3/27/02): The absolutely lightest beer I have ever drank. Nearly see through in presentation in the glass after being poured. I couldn't find much flavor-wise other than a very, very, slight bitterness on the finish and I do mean slight. I actually poured out what was remaining as I just tasted bitter water and well, the Vernor's Ginger Ale in the refrigerator was calling me. Frat boy beer bonging beer at best.

proc, Feb 24, 2004
1.85/5  rDev +10.8%

Natural light pours a straw yellow with no little to no head. The smell is downright potent, I can't tell what it is but it smells like rotten steak. The taste is what you would expect, very little, watery with a few hops present. In your mouth in has no pizazz, tastes like water. The only reason to buy this beer is for a cheap buzz and a weekend camping trip. You can pick up a case for 9 bucks so you can see why it is still around. This is a college man's beer, great for drinking games!

beertaster13, Feb 17, 2004
1.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Very unimpresive yellow with minimal head. Smell is equally unimpressive. When ice cold, this beer is easy to drink. The idea with this beer is to drink it fast, because it is hard to take down as it warms. The only reason to drink this disgreace of a beer is to get a cheap buzz.

UDbeernut, Jan 20, 2004
2.95/5  rDev +76.6%

Not a bad beer at all if your looking for an inexpensive, refreshing, macro. The color and head retension leave something to be desired. But where I live the closest place to buy beer is 15 miles away and very expensive. So I often turn this direction to save money for a more desireable micro or import.

coasterfreak75, Jan 08, 2004