Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

This beer is truly awful and as cheep as it may be it is still not worth it. It tastes and smells dirty and rotten. It doesn't even have the flavors of beer in it. There is no grain malt or hops just rain water that ran through your filthy gutter on the house all cluttered with rotting leaves when it cam out of the rain spout it was put in a can an pushed on me as beer. A few sips was as much as I could handle. This is (at the moment) my worst beer experience. Worse than another skunked beer I've had. Yet Josh drank several cans and I assume that it what the crap always tastes like. I just got a Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot and a snifter glass and sipped my one beer while he finished off the six cans.
Avoid.
Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Sep 05, 2006
1.88/5  rDev +11.9%

I remember how cheap a case of this was back in college. Now I realize why. Pours a ugly headless yellow color with no lacing but lots of carbonation. Nose is slightly astringent and loaded with adjuncts. Not much good to say.

No one discernable favor, just a watery body with neither hop nor malt taking the lead role but instead the h20. If water is the strongest taste in your beer.. change the ingredients...

Mouthfeel is somewhat refreshing but still doesn't stand up at all in the mouth. Carbonation is also a killer. Not worth any more than the slightest of efforts. More good beer stores needed in Harnett County.

daliandragon, Sep 03, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +36.9%

Pours pale yellow with fizzy white head. Smells grainy, lots of adjucts. Doesn't taste like much of anything other than vague graininess, its not unpleasant though. Very light bodied. I have to give it an average drinkability rating, its not good but its ok as a session beer. I wouldn't reccomend it as any type of craft beer, but its cheap and drinkable. Not to mention, its not really any different from any other light beer.

Dizzy, Aug 26, 2006
1.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a weak golden color with minimal head. Aroma is grainy and of stale bread. Mouthfeel is the best part of this beer, but is far from impressive. I drank this by the gallon in college, but will now will only drink it again if nothing else is available at the time.

Neehan, Aug 09, 2006
1.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a very very light yellow color. Lightest beer I have ever seen.

Taste was bad. Super carbonated, with a strange after taste. I had to question why they would call this beer. Had a "waterd down" feel to it.

Drinkability is the only thing good about this beer. You can drink plenty of this no problem because of the lightness of taste.

Overall this is below average beer. Because of the beer's price and drinkability it makes it a staple at all college parties.

robocrouch, Aug 09, 2006
1.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Ultra Pale yellow with short fizzy white head.

Smell was light grains.

Taste had a bit of a tinny metallic taste, a touch of light cereal grains and some grassyness.

Mouthfeel was ultra thin, basically water.

Would avoid if possible and hopefully never drink again.

bashiba, Aug 04, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +132.1%

Good old Natty light, this beer is a great beer and deserves the respect of many. This is a great beer for college parties and getting very drunk, because it is very cheap and it tastes great. In my opinion this beer tastes better than most domestic beers and if bars would put this on tap, I would gladly get it everytime.

jrb1001, Jul 24, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

Yechh. This stuff truly even makes Budweiser look like the King Of Beers by comparison. Carbonated pee would be putting it nicely. All I could smell was the aluminum can and some crap that was stuck in the rim. Let the frat boys have it (or whatever socially challenged segment of the popultioan that likes hurting themselves by drinking this beer).

tozerm, Jul 20, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +59.5%

Stuck in Florida this week! Akll they have is the macros where I am staying. What the heck...time to revisit the old college days. Natural Light is just that....light. Apparance is pale yellow...some initial head and carbonation. Smell is mainly grassy grains...hmm? lawnmower brew? Taste is equally inspectacular...Mouthfeel is ok...very light ...duh! East enough to drink, but lacking in the taste dept.

edchicma, Jul 20, 2006
1.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pale yellow, fizzy, slight head, no lacing.

S - Smell is lack luster, and picking up only small traces of grain.

T - Taste is watery and leaves a mettalic bite all the way across the palate.

M - Mouthfeel is overcarbonated. Hard to get down.

D - Drinkability is low. Why would you want to put this into your body?

Natty light is a great way to get people turned off to the beer world. I am just going to forget I ever drank this.

HoustonTX, Jul 06, 2006
1.18/5  rDev -29.8%

I picked it up a can of this as a joke because my friend asked for water to I got both and handed him the natty light. Yeah My band just got down playing a show outside very hot and tired so I didn't want to put it back. I opened it up drank half of it could not stand it so I poured it out. Yes this beer lacks in so many areas. It looks like urine. With a smell that I can't put my finger on but it sure is offensive. Tastes like nothing at all. Very very very light watery mouth feel. With a Drinkability that leads me to be able to choke one of these down once every 5 years.

cproioi, Jul 02, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +36.9%

Good 'ol Natty Light. Choice of discriminating college students everywhere.

Can to a pint glass. Classic yellow MacroLager with ok head that evaporates quickly. Lots of bubbles. No lacing.

Rice-y smell. Starch. No hops, very little malt, some sweetness.

Tastes like Bud Light. Dead on.

Watery mouthfeel. No real presence in the mouth. But, to be honest, a little better than the EuroLights I've had lately.

Not very drinkable, even considering it's catergory.

I had a couple while watching the NBA finals; the rest of the six will be either given away or used as a beercan chicken stand. I can come up with better ways to spend $3.50 than a six of these. It's an Alcohol Delevery Device and nothing more.

rabsten, Jun 19, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -3%

Step One: Cardboard
Step Two: Water
Step Three: Soak the two Together
What do you get? Cardboard tea, otherwise known as "Natty lite." Theres a reason that frat guys pound this back like the belly wash it is. Pass it up.
"Waiter can I just get a lemon water?"

Kicksmile67, Jun 08, 2006
1.33/5  rDev -20.8%

remember the commercial.... I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER, I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER!
I think the people in that commercial were drinking natural light. Says brewed for naturally smooth and refreshing taste or something like that. I agree with that like I agree with water beeing smooth and refreshing. Come on anheiser busch but some balls in your beer jesus.
People treat natural light like it's nasty and cheap. It's not that much different from other anheiser busch products i see people buy all the time.
I find these beers too watered down. Yes light lagers will be watered down by definition, but this is too the extreme. This beer has practically no qualities to it. Like water.

jasonjlewis, Jun 08, 2006
2.03/5  rDev +20.8%

Left over from Memorial Day weekend. 30-pack cans for $10, sometimes quality is sacrificed for quantity.

Appearance: Poured from the can into a pilsner glass. The beer is a pale gold. A frothy head that has no staying power forms then falls in on itself until it is just a ring around the glass.

Smell: Knowing AB's propensity to use rice as an adjunct, I am somewhat surprized that this one has some corny adjunct scent. Although I don't really smell anything until the beer is half consumed and has warmed a little.

Taste: When it is nice and cold (near freezing), it is blissfully bland, which is also the best (and only way) to consume this beer. If it has warmed by sitting in the sun (a 95+ degree sun so hot that no coozie really helps) this is instant drain pour foul.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery, yet well carbonated. Kinda soda like.

Drinkability: As stated, when this is kept cold on ice, and consumed at a fairly quick pace, this is ok. Let one warm a little, well, its best to just pour it out and get another.

BigRedN, Jun 01, 2006
2.15/5  rDev +28%

Pours a clear, yellow with a fizzy head that doesn't hang around for long.

Smells not too appealing, I guess some malts are detectable, but little else. Taste is of slightly malty carbonated water. There is virtually no complexity or anything redeeming about this beer, other than it's being relatively cheap and easy to drink.

This was the first beer I ever drank and I drank it regularly in early college, but after a few years of drinking more complex beers, going back I just can't see how I ever could drink it. I bought it for a nice day at the pool, but even in that situation it still falls flat, not recommended.

BurnsTau, May 22, 2006
2.2/5  rDev +31%

Natural Light pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a sixteen ounce can. Smells like cheap beer, in other words adjunct all the way. Tastes like corn. This is lawnmower beer, only recommended for appropriate uses such as beer bongs and frat parties. Avoid.

Drew966, May 11, 2006
1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

I reluctantly tried this beer because some friends went out and bought it and there was nothing else. The color was light straw yellow with a medium head. The aroma smelled of nothing really with a hint of adjuncts. The taste was almost non-existant with a light malt/corn taste. The mouthfeel was (big surprise), light with a medium/high carbonation. I honestly wouldn't drink this beer ever again, but I suppose if you're a college student who is trying to get smashed for cheap, this would be a great choice.

jdmorgan, Apr 27, 2006
1.7/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a surprisingly good head on a pale yellow clear body. Highly carbonated, almost effervescent. Aroma had very, very faint amount of hops and no malt to speak of. Smells like beer, though not particularly good beer. Not especially adjuncty to my nose. Light body with adjuncts and astringency up front followed by a touch of lingering aftertaste that I can't quite describe. Maybe it's bitterness, but I can't believe that there was much in the way of hops in it. Very little mouthfeel, though still probably more than expected (though that's not saying much). Not something I'd want to drink a lot of until my taste buds have been sufficiently anesthetized.

Not good, even by cheap beer standards.

shererjt, Apr 23, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Polluted water appearance
Metal tasting.
smells like nothing

This beer was created to get people hammered for the price of a hamburger.
It goes down like water and tastes just about the same.
and don't worry if you spill some on you it's only alcoholic water.

seanmhogan, Apr 03, 2006
1.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

My oldest son just turned 21 and this is what he brought home! I thought I had raised him better. Where is the Sierra Nevada I asked? About the only thing going for this beer is that it is oh so cheap. Pours a very pale yellow with thin head. Smells of corn and cheap grains. Not much in the taste department either, thin and watery with just a slight grainy flavor. This is a brew for college students all the way. May have to up his allowance.

clemtig76, Mar 29, 2006
2.5/5  rDev +48.8%

Poured a very pale yellow color with moderate white puffy head that very quickly vanished. Smell is on the sweetish side, and not particularly enjoyable.Taste is very mild, non-offensive (because there is so little there) taste does not improve when it warms because some strange sweet notes begin to appear. Refreshing when ice cold, not very good cool. Drink it fast while its ice cold.

tgbljb, Mar 07, 2006
2.73/5  rDev +62.5%

At $.35 for the can I thought I'd give it a shot.

The sweet/sour malt quality familiar to the style dominates the aroma, with just a touch of hops.
Pours with a real attractive chalk white head that is very loud in it's fizziness. The head leaves pretty quickly to a ring and a scattered bubble cover. Water clear of very pale gold.
The flavor holds a sourness at the end, but starts with a light sweetness of malt, then moves to a watery nothingness, which precedes the ascending bitterness that tops off at a moderate level, just before the sourness. The finish is the worst part of the drink, especially since it tends to linger a bit.
Appropriately carbonated, and it makes it kinda filling and leaves a bloated feeling. Decently soft. As it should be for style.
This coulda' been worst. I choose not to wait long enough for it warm, I dare not give it that chance. Nothing I'd look for and well worth the cost for this can. One's enough.

garymuchow, Feb 25, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +72.6%

Appearance - Very pale yellow with about a half inch of head.

Smell - Nothing special.

Taste - Watered down Bud, but unlike Bud Light, is manageable.

Drinkability - Out of all of the macro lagers, perhaps in the 2nd tier of beers. Considering the price of the beer, a very good buy. Doesn't give me a headache afterwards and I would recommend it for your college parties.

palffyfan, Feb 04, 2006
1.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The only reason I am drinking this is because it is my father in law's favorite beer. Pours a bright urine colored yellow with a fuzzy white thin head that falls almost immediately to thin fuzz. Smells of corn/barley and cereal along with some cheap grainy adjuncts. Tastes like watered down malty grain water, nothing else really present. Could only drink ice cold to freeze my taste buds enough to dumb down the "taste." Mouthfeel is carbonated mineral water. Drinkability is low, maybe this is better when you're already inebriated. I'll pass.

danielocean03, Jan 26, 2006