Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass

A - Poured a yellow gold. Had a big frothy two finger head that fell to a paper thin ring of bubbles in about 15 seconds. Head is completely gone half way down the glass. No lacing.

S - Very strong smell of cereal adjuncts and some mustyness. Not inviting.

T - A little bit of cereal taste up front followed by a sour and adjunct-full body. This beer finishes with a sickly sweet corn-mash flavor, and leaves a rancid cereal aftertaste that seems to be imploring you not to take another sip. Overall, taste is weak which is good considering how bad the it is.

M - Just like carbonated water

D - I traded a PBR to one of my brothers for one of these so I could review it. People in the house go through this stuff like crazy on the weekends, so I figured trading was better than buying a whole case of this crap. I remember drinking this as a freshman when I first came to school and thinking that it wasn't half bad... my how my taste has evolved. Even at less than 50 cents a can I wouldn't buy this, they'd need to pay me to drink it.... lots

1.72/5  rDev +3%

Stale yellow coloring with no head whatsoever. A strong alcoholic watery aroma that is as inviting as a public bathroom stall. Watery taste with smooth floral notes initially evolves into a stale drink aftertaste. Weak carbonation of a mouthfeel that doesn't balance well with the uninteresting taste. A feeble attempt for a beer but an American College legend nonetheless.

2.47/5  rDev +47.9%

Ah Natty Light... so many experiences with this one, from keg parties to a fridge full of 16 oz. cans playing drinking games.

I've come to realize that drinking games and keg parties are the only real use for this one. It's quite drinkable, becaues it's barely more than drinking water. Not much else to it, it barely tastes like beer, smells like beer, or even looks like beer.

Bonus points for the nostalgia, but not something you'd find in my fridge these days. Well, unless we're having a hurricane party.

2.3/5  rDev +37.7%

A- Light straw color, light head, very bubbly, seems to look over carbonated.

S-smells like old alcohol, reminds me of drunk fans at a baseball game.

T- Not to good, overpowering watered down alcohol taste, way to much carbonation, seems like it would never go flat.

D- Easy to drink, not much to it, no flavor, watery.

1.63/5  rDev -2.4%

light straw color. fizzy head that quickly falls to nothing, very minimal lacing.
enormous bubbles. looks more like a soda than a beer.
smell almost not there, mineral water with faint traces of stale malt.

flavor is that of seltzer water that's been poured into a glass recently emptied of beer. i am not exaggerating. that's how it strikes me.

mouthfeel also like seltzer water. it's a form of diet soda without any form of sweetener.

in terms of cost per unit flavor this abomination is seriously expensive. can't believe i used to think fairly highly of it in college. has the natural light changed, or just me?

2.35/5  rDev +40.7%

12-ounce can poured into a shaker pint glass yields a clear pale golden body with streamers of active carbonation and a medium-bubbled cap of white foam.The head retreats quickly into a ring that leaves no lacing on the glass.

What smell there is a bit grainy with a tiny herbal note.

The taste is a bit herbal and sweet with a little tang and a surprisingly dry finish.

The drink is thin-bodied with a tickle of carbonation. Great drinkability in situations where refreshment is the objective and any real flavor or substance a hindrance.

1.15/5  rDev -31.1%

The beer of choice during my College years but haven't really touched it since. It definitely is a College kid beer. Saying I've had it "many times" just doesn't tell the story. I can't bring myself to say too many bad things about this beer. So many good times where fueled by the Naty Light. For what it's worth I preferred it over Busch. And you simply cannot beat the price. However, I just don't think I could even stomach this anymore.

1.37/5  rDev -18%

The palest of yellows, this is also a pale reflection of what a beer should be. Tons of foam upon pouring that quickly fades to a thin cap that leaves surprisingly nice lacing. A faint aroma like cornflakes. No malt, no hops, no... anything! Alcoholic water. Weak. It tastes like unfulfilled dreams.

2.6/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a pale golden yellow with little to no head. Aroma was cereal grains and not much else. Taste was also of cereal grains, but light and refreshing and no aftertaste. Texture was watery and a lot of carbonation. This is a light body beer with not much flavor, but it is one of my favorites for the fishing trips. One can pound a lot of these and not feel much.

2.4/5  rDev +43.7%

Natural Light is one of those beers with sentimental value to me...the first beer I have tasted perhaps, it is still the most common beer that I see people drink, obviously due to its price...I have found Natural Light to be so unbearable for me now a days that even on a 90 degree day on the beach with 100% humidity I find myself turning down Natty...Sad, but everyone has to grow up I suppose

2.12/5  rDev +26.9%

Oh Natural Light, my favorite beverage to buy in packs of 30 for $12.77 at the convenience store 200 feet from my house on a way to a party!

Appearance - Don't leave it sitting around your house in a glass, somebody might mistake it for lemonade. Not that when they take a sip and spit it out it isn't funny, but let's be honest, who wants to clean up natty?

Smell - I can't rate it as awful....because there isn't one. I checked my sinuses by rating another beer, smelling a can of coffee and they are working perfectly....there's just nothing here

Taste - Similar to smell...it isn't? So, I guess I can't rate something as awful that I can't taste....but I think I might be thrown out of the forums if I rate it any higher than 2.0....

Mouthfeel - Goes down like water. Unlike most vodka's that claim they they go down like water and feel like you're drinking ethanol, Natural Light drinks like water...you just feel like you drank ethanol when you wake up the next morning.

Drinkability: An easy session beer. Simply kill 5 as fast as possible, wait 10 minutes and then you're fine to drink them all night.

I drank one of these from a half-empty case left by partying college kids at a neighborhood beach. Presumably the abandoned it accidentally. This beverage is very pale in color, and has virtually no smell or taste. It feels like water going down the chute. If you're thirsty, it may be better than nothing, but I'll stick with my bottle of spring water. For the college kids (only over 21), without a developed taste for malt and hops, this may be a good way to chill with friends.

1.55/5  rDev -7.2%

I grew up on this stuff so got used to it, but then after getting the early college years I quickly switch to a minimum of Miller products as my cheap alternative. This stuff is hardly beer in my opinion, but it will get you drunk for a very cheap ticket... Something like $13-$15 w/ Michigan deposit for a 'dirty thirty' (30 pack of next day regrets) So watery and highly carbonated... this is my exact opposite picture of what a beer should be... The only way I drink this now and days is if it's free to me, I'm utterly desperate, or the only other option is Busch Light! (ahh!)

1.52/5  rDev -9%

First off, let me say I am reviewing this for the folly of it all. I got it from my fridge and who knows where it came from or how long it had been there.

A. Poured from a 12 oz can into a frosted mug. Palest yellow with some head that sticks around and shows some lace. Not a terrible start.

S. Takes a dive in the smell. Smells like garbage. The kind thats been sitting out for quite some time. I'm in for a bad one.

T. Extremely light. A watered down beer experience. Starts off grainey with a bit of a corn taste, a slight bitter note is barely noticed which must be some sad attempt to hop this beer. Finishes off slightly metallic.

M. Just like water. A bit bubbly like watered down seltzer water.

D. This can be drank and is by a devoted crowd of poor college kids. I am not impressed. In fact, I'm disappointed....in myself...for drinking this.

1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Forgot how bad this beer was. Last time I had it was about 4 years ago in college. Pours a pale yellow with not much of a head. Looks like water with some pale ale mixed in. Smells like grain and...well nothing. Taste is bland, and nearly non-existent. Aftertaste is pretty awful though. I'm not sure this can be classified as beer, but I suppose it has to be since they check your ID when you buy it...

2.2/5  rDev +31.7%

Appearance: Very pale and very clear; I held the can almost totally upside down as I poured it into a pilsner glass, creating a decent amount of fizzy, bubbly head. It disappeared completely within about 15-20 seconds.

Aroma: Lightly sourish; the faint notes of hops, rice, barley, and alcohol combine to form an inoffensive, nearly impossible to define scent.

Taste: Extremely light and crisp. The hops are pretty much invisible, leaving only a very slight tannin aftertaste on the tongue. The bulk of the flavor is bland and inoffensive, tasting mostly of rice and some non-identifiable grains.

Verdict: This is about as no-frills as a beer can get. It's cheap and goes down like water, which is why it's so popular on college campuses, but there's no beer enjoyment to be found. Still, at $12 bucks for a 30 pack, I guess you could do worse.

1.15/5  rDev -31.1%

Oh man. I just had to put this one in here. Every beer reviewer has to at least once try the king of bad beers, Natural Light.

Take a gander at this one, folks -- you can hardly even tell it has a colour. It resembles a drop of real beer in a can of water. I've heard it has a head, but I haven't seen one without shaking the can first. If anything deserves a 1, this has to be it. I almost want to deny to myself that there can be worse.

It has the cooked-excrement aroma of loose, damp soil evaporating in midday heat after a morning's rain. It's not quite wretch-worthy, but it's unpleasant. You can also smell some of the alcohol, which doesn't bode well.

The flavour, of course, is gold-medal stuff. Nowhere before have I had a beer that tasted like such rot dissolved in seltzer water and spiked with a shot of cheap vodka. But praise be to Him for making the atrociousness of this beer so weak and watery. You can hardly taste it, but what you can taste is so horribly, painfully bad that you're perfectly happy not to. If ignorance is bliss, I am in an enlightened hell with this beer.

Speaking of watery, that's all you'll get for a mouthfeel. Carbonated water. But I'd rather just drink carbonated water myself, and I don't even like carbonated water (curse you, Perrier!). I guess you could drink this if you were already drunk or trying oh-so-desperately to get there, but it's quicker, cheaper, and less painful to just throw back a few shots of rotgut.

Avoid like the plague.

1.96/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pale yellow, clear, with about a finger of head that disappears quickly into nothing.

S - Almost non-existant. Weak metallic aroma, with a slight DMS character.

T - Again, not much there. There's a brief sweetness mid palate followed by a metallic finish, but both are weak at best.

M - Carbonation is a little lower and the body is a little heavy for the style.

D - I grabbed one of these from my buddy's fridge the other night specifically for the purpose of rating it...I honestly don't know how he plans to get through the other 11.

2.02/5  rDev +21%

Ah natty, unbeatable at $8 a case. Basically water, with a slight amount of flavor from rice and weak grains. Only redeeming factors are lots of carbonation and the price tag. The 8 people that listed this in their "got" section for beer trading should be shot.

1.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Drank from many serving types, cans, bottles, kegs, tap...All the same here

A: Watery yellow pale thats clear and leaves a minor white head

S: Extreme pale 2-row and grassy notes

T: Water. Rice. Pale grains. Not much flavor at all

M,D Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and drinkability is rather high

RJR

1.84/5  rDev +10.2%

As much as Nattie Light appeals to College 101, the only thing this brew has going for it is its honesty:

A - could be mistaken for garden hose water mixed with corn and cheap barley. No head whatsoever and too much carbonation, but who cares if you're on a tight budget?

S - very bland and nonexistant, but for $8.99 an 18 pack, who's complaining?

T - old and past-its-prime lager and the taste has the metallic taste straight from the can, but if you're partying, who cares about taste right?

M - next to nil, this beer is to be shotgunned or flip cupped only. There's no point in savoring this.

D - unless you're being initiated into the biggest fraternity on campus or you feel like you're going to ace that next game of beer pong, there's no point to wasting time and life on cheap beer. Simply put, it's just not worth it.

At least it's cheap and doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. For that reason, Natty puts some respect points in my book, but that's about it.

1.8/5  rDev +7.8%

*Shot-gunned this while at a house party. Shot-gunned three of them actually, but who's counting.

Appearance - Clear pale yellow. Almost no head. Could be mistaken for dirty water.

Smell - Aluminum, dirt, defeat.

Taste - Don't really remember too much. Very chuggable, but aftertaste is a mixture of dog hair and morning breath.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated. Mouth felt fuzzy afterward.

Drinkability - Great for house parties. Well, appropriate for house parties... college house parties. This is a cheap buzz/drunk. Will buy again.

1.13/5  rDev -32.3%

The natty light. Don't expect anything but light from this guy. It shares all the great macro lager characteristics.

Pale yellow/piss color. Weak tan head.

Smell is grainy and yeasty.

Taste is very light. Some malts syrup mixed in with the grains and bitter hops.

Fell is light. Overly carbonated.

I will probably never drink this again. Even if it is free. Sorry Busch, but step it up... Yea right.

1.3/5  rDev -22.2%

The quintessential American college beer... Gross. That's the only word I can use to describe it. This is the beer on which to compare all other bad beers. Devoid of flavor, smells of urine, almost colorless, and half the time I feel like I'm going to vomit this stuff up if I drink it in more than a sip.

Appearance: There's a reason no one really pours this into a glass. It's a very very very pale beer, just not appealing looking at all with almost no head or the alternate of half the glass being carbonation.

Smell: As someone else said, smells like dishwater. More of water that dirty dishes have been soaking in without soap for several days. Just the worst smelling beer I've come across.

Taste: There is none, minus the slight bitter taste that just makes you almost gag.

Mouthfeel: It's smooth going down but there is to real feel in your mouth with it. Devoid of life.

Drinkability: You can drink a lot of these, but I wouldn't advise it. I will say, they get easier going down the more you have. It's only claim.

1.48/5  rDev -11.4%

A favorite of frat boys and rednecks alike. Any resemblance this drink has to beer is purely coincidental.

A = very pale and looks like watered down piss.

S = corn.

T = hardly any taste, which I guess is a good thing. the only taste you do get is a slightly bitter corny sweet taste.

M = very watery with moderate carbonation.

D = this beer is drinkable only because it's easy to chug. however, drink more than 2 of these and you're in for a rough hangover and horrendous beer shits.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch