Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 513 | Hads: 1,948

I am going to go out on a limb and say this is not a terrible brew. I know that "haters" or "cool guys" on this site will hater, but I will just let haters hate.

The beer pours light orangey yellow, with a light thin layer of foam. Leave some lace on the glass as the foam subsides. The smell is of wheats and grains, and everything you could expect from the style. The taste is light, flavorful, and refreshing. This is a great beer for a hot day or mowing the lawn, nothing earth shattering but does not deserve all the hate it gets. (536 characters)

1.95/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a fizzy head that fades to no real lacing.

S: Very mild aroma of grain and bit of sweetness. Just a bit musty.

T: Mild taste of grain with a bit of sweetness. Just a bit of bitterness.

F: Light body, smooth and just a bit refreshing.

O: Not a beer I tend to seek out. Beer from a neighborhood BBQ. It's only redeeming trait is the price and it does go down easy, especiallywhen cold. (421 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +95.9%

Well my family drinking started drinking this as their regular out of nowhere. Never liked it much for the heartburn factor but as time goes on the body changes, as so does my taste. Also as the economy falls so does my paycheck so all in all natty is alright in my book.

Your typical light beer... Pale yellow color, highly carbonated and quenches ones thirst like water ( for the most part) and doesn't offend the wife when it comes to the bank account.

When you're looking for a beer to get your drunk on and enjoy yourself this is the one. Plus it helps to secure this figure i worked so hard for. HA.

Take it as it is natty kicks some ars for a cheap fix. (665 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Very light golden. Little head but lots of bubbles
S: Smells like stale yeast and cheap alcohol.
T: Some yeast hints but overall very watery.
M: Insanely light, too bubbly and lingering grossness.

Yeah.... light beers shouldn't be a thing. Pass on this for sure. (267 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Dude did you just STEAL that can from that guys house? Oh yes you did! Into a nonic pint glass you go.

Off the pour, this thing nearly looks like water, hits the glass with a very straw yellow and crystal body, would probably be even more faint if I actually poured this in a real pilsner glass. Head is really weird in formation, forms like a white meringue, but not too large with lots of snapping and falls pretty quickly. Giant FAT cola bubbles everywhere, on the glass, rising, is this soda?

Nose on first sniff is rank. Smells like classic creamed corn (DMS). God it's awful and also real buttery in a diacetyl way. I am afraid to even try this.

Sweet grainy malts, with much if coming only in the aftertaste and swallow. This beer really tastes.. like nothing upon first quaff. A bit wet and also seltzery with a weird tight carbonation. The only surprise is that it doesn't taste like it smells which I am thankful for, mostly because it really has no taste at all.

Light it is, horrible too. Yikes just putrid. I try these things once in awhile to see what I am missing sometimes. Obviously not much. The sad irony is you probably couldn't even drink enough of this to get drunk. (1,192 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a can into a pint glass,

A: Light golden color. Yields a one finger fizzy white head that quickly fades away into a thin ring. Tons of carbonation bubble rise up the glass.

S: Not much fragrance. What little is there smells of sweet corn and slight funk.

T: Slightly sweet but not overly so. No hop presence. Very light.

M: Light body and moderate-high carbonation. Super thin and watery.

O: Not bad for such a cheap light beer, but certainly not something I would look for. I have yet to find a light beer I would willingly stock in the fridge so this one is par for the style. I would consider this over many other more expensive light beers. (661 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Born on date of 1/31/2012.
Poured into a pilsener glass.

Appearance: Very pale straw. 1 finger of thin, fizzy white foam that went away in about a minute. Very little carbonation.

Smell: Not much of an aroma. A little malt, slight hops.

Taste: Again not much to taste. Evenly balanced between the little hops and malt that is there.

Mouth feel: Thin, watery but smooth and wet.

Overall: I'll give it an average rating. The best part about this beer is the price and the fact that after cutting grass or doing some other summer activity you can slam 3 or 4 of these. It is cold, wet and will and quench a thirst without filling you up as is typical with a light beer. (671 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Hey Dave, why don't you chuck me one of those Natty's so these vultures don't steal my seat! Awesome commercial. If you've lived in America, been broke, and wanted to get hammered, you've probably drank extraordinary amounts of this brew before!

Appearance - Pours a clear, clean straw color with no head and no lacing. Even with an aggressive pour head is basically non-existent.

Smell - Not much. Maybe a little bit of grain mixed with some metallic notes

Taste - About the same as the nose, which is why this beer is perfect for bonging. It really doen't taste like anything, and the colder it gets, the less taste it has.

Mouthfeel - At least it finished nice and crisp!

Overall - It is what it is. For a broke frat boy looking to get loaded on a Wednesday night, this beer is perfect. Even for tailgating, barbequing, boating, or other outdoor summer activities, this hits the spot because yuo can drink a lot and it isn't too heavy. Natty! (950 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

For a beer nicknamed FRATTY Light, this is a surprisingly decent light beer. Its low rating has less to do with a long list of negatives and more to do with a lack of positives.

A - The head is nearly non-existant even with the best pour but it does have a clean, clear yellowish look to it.

S - Its smell is faint, but definitely reminiscent of the beer aroma generated from a couple cases being drank at a tailgate.

M - It retains a lot of its carbonation throughout the whole beer and is refreshingly crisp. It lacks the smooth feel that other beers have.

T - It is fairly bland, but carries some nutiness and just a hint of its barley components with almost no trace of the hops. What it lacks in robust flavor it makes up for with good drinkability.

O - Lets face it...if youre gonna have a few before a game or going out a full-bodied chocolate blueberry lager is going to be too much. While this isnt an amazing beer, it succeeds at its own goal = good, cheap beer (976 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +108.8%

Being a blue collar worker in this weak economy I have been dealing with stress and having to budget like never before! This cheap beer takes care of both of those things. We all know it's one of the most lower end American beers you can buy, but I have drank several generic brands and this one does the job best for me when I want a good buzz at an affordable price. I typically prefer the 6 pack 16oz cans but sometimes stock up on the 30 pack lol. The smell is light, the flavor while watery is still good and makes it easy to drink. I have been drinking this beer for almost 3 years now and it makes me feel good after I've had my share lol. It doesn't give me a hang over or head ache either. Like I said I am more about affordability then quality right now and don't consider my self a beer connoisseur. I'm happy with my Natty Light, sitting on the couch with my girl, watching netflix. Call me cheap, I don't care. Natty Light rocks! (942 characters)

2.21/5  rDev +13.9%

Well, these were freebated. $7 for the beer and $8 back from the snacks I bought which I would have bought anyway. It's pretty bad, though. I almost never drink this style and never this beer (it's for young folks).

I didn't wash my glass out from the good stuff before this, and thus it still looks and smells a bit from much more robust styles. On it's own, though, there is very little going on. A constant stream of bubbles is good, but the aroma isn't very good.

It's thin and way too light for me. There are others from this stylewith more and better character.

Now, should I throw them out? Of course not. That would be alcohol abuse! (646 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +43.8%

From can no. 30JUL-MZ46 sampled on January 15, 2012. It is fifteen degrees outside so I placed this can on my front step to really chill it down naturally. Natural Light? Natural cooling? Why not? I review these on their style not on their reputation.

So it pours yellow with carbonation angst and a foamy head. The head fades fast. It looks like it supposed to. Aromas of barley malt, cereal, light yeast, and clean hop note. Better than anticipated but still very typical. The body is thin and watery. The taste is grainy with a slightly unexpected dry finish. Still nothing extraordinary. All in all a typical light macro lager. (632 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 24 oz. can into pint glass. Reviewed to style.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden hue with a (surprising) three-finger head! It's soapy white and actually leaves lacing down the glass! Whoa!

Smell: Water. Metal. Corn, maybe?

Taste: Extremely faint, and I mean extremely faint corn adjuncts, metals, and grass, and a large dose of water.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, refreshing.

Overall: Just as bad, if not, worse than the big-name BMC lights. (459 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - A very pale yellow with a fast-bubbling and dissipating, white, 2-finger head which left behind some thing tiny-bubbled lacing.

S - Smells mostly like corn and yeast, very plane pale american pilsner.

T - Very faint yeast and corn flavors with a slight sweetness to it, not a whole lot going on.

M - Watery, which I think is a great thing for this made-chuggable beer.

O - It's my favorite within the style of "drinking game" beer. I would rather have Natty Light than Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light or any other cheap garbage beer. This affectionately-named "frat water" is a must-have for all collegiate men pursuing higher and noble ideals. (657 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -13.4%

A- Very light gold, a lot of carbonation. One finger head that disappears pretty fast.

S- A lot of corn and rice. Not a huge surprise.

T- Not much, there's some corn in there, but it's what you expect from a light adjunct lager.

M- Light bodied and very drinkable. Easy to get blasted on this stuff, no question.

O- I don't hate it, but it's pretty typical for the style. Probably wouldn't ever go out and buy it unless I was trying to get hammered. Actually, Genny Ice might be a better solution there. (507 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a can into a glass.

A- Typical straw color that you see in aals. very little head.

S- Not much to smell here, some grains if you try hard enough.

T-Really compared to other aals it isn't all that bad. It is watery and doesn't have alot going on here either. Probably the best thing about this beer, although that still isn't saying a whole lot.

M-High carbonation and very light bodied. Goes down smooth.

O-Not a great beer even for aals but its not the worst. I would drink this over a few bmcs though. It is cheap beer so take it for what it is. (564 characters)

2.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours pale with a decent, but quickly dissipating, head. Smells totally decent, if very very light, uncomplicated barley and adjunct cereal without so much as a hint of hops. There's barely anything there, but for the style that's to be expected.

Tastes--eh, there had to be a severe drop off, didn't there? It has the same lightly soapy offness of Bud Lite, only the bubbleblow nodes aren't buffeted by anything beery, things just get more medicinal as the sip progresses. It goes from soap to aspirin to heartburn all in one gulp.

Not nearly the worst beer I've ever had. It's nearly inoffensive. But if you're looking for a light-as-air beer you can pound quickly and thoughtlessly, you'd still be better off drinking Keystone Light, as that provides the same cheap buzz with maybe half the gross nodes. (809 characters)

Pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy white head that immediately fades. No lacing.

Funky(not in a good way) aroma with lots of grain and an odd metallic presence. Lots of corn and stale hops along with very faint malt.

Flavor is identical to the aroma. Very thin and watered down with an odd metallic flavor along with sweet, grainy corn, stale hops and pale malt. Very unpleasant and even though it is very light and watery, I'm still having a hard time choking it down.

This beer is absolutely awful and doesn't have one positive quality. One of the worst beers I've ever had. (591 characters)

1.96/5  rDev +1%

Pours a pale gold color with very loose, soap-like head that quickly fades. The nose has an apple-like sweetness to it as well as some metallic notes. The taste is just like the smell; sweet apples, grainy, metal. The mouthfeel is very light, overly carbonated, and somewhat dry.

I hadn't had one since college, but I was drinking out of my father-in-laws fridge. It's basically a haven any and all macros so I figured I'd run through as many different ones as I could since it was free. I would never buy this now. (516 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -37.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Bottom of can stamped 28OCT11. Identical to the bottled version.

Appearance - Ultra clear pale straw body. Thin white lace with no retention and minimal stick.

Smell - Very mild hop. A bit more than you'd get from Bud Light, but not very much. Dry and musky.

Taste - Stale bubble gum that lost its sweetness. Mild cardboard hop and slight alcoholic astringency.

Mouthfeel - Almost no effervescence; flat. Light bodied. Kinda sticky.

Overall Drinkability - Nothing particularly offensive, but almost completely character-less. (566 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +60.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I recall buying Natty Light once before, back in '85 while in college, and believing their advertising that it was a good light beer with food...as the only other light lager that I buy is also an A-B product (Busch Light), I thought I'd revisit it once I found these in bottles at $3.99 per 6-pack.

Poured into a Perfect Pint:

A=Greenish yellow in color and very pale; nice white foam head that went away right away.

S=Very sweet smell, almost like a cream ale.

T=Very hoppy, as with other light beers I've found. I think A-B puts more corn in here than Busch Light to give it a bit more sweetness, but still less flavor than Busch Light. Above average, however, as compared to other light lagers.

M=Very drinkable as a session beer due to its lightness and average carbonation.

O=A very close second to Busch Light in terms of flavor...definitely a good value light beer for picnics in the summer or after mowing the lawn.

Update: 1/22/12: Reducing taste to 2.5, below average, as this beer--even for a light--is way too watered down. (1,043 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -44.3%

This is piss-poor stuff. Easily my most forgettable beer experience. Anecdote: some friends and I were filming a student film and needed a can as a prop. All we had was a handful of change, so we bought one 23 oz. can of Natty Light. It was a dry campus, so the can to be empty since we were filming outside. No one wanted to drink it before we got back to campus, so we dumped it out in the parking lot of the grocery store. THAT’S HOW BAD IT IS.

I don’t understand the "this beer does its job" comments. Yeah it’s cheap, but if what you want is to get drunk, you can get a lot more hooch on the dollar with cheap whiskey. (631 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -44.3%

A - Pours a pale straw-yellow if not lighter with a teensy head that remains for mere seconds. Very carbonated. Probably the only thing that gives this higher than a one. 1.5.

S - Corn, diacetyl, metal, and...dare I say it...urine. Really unpleasant. 1.0

T - Watery taste with so much carbonation, all you can really taste at first is yeast, corn, and stale malt/hops. Metal from the can (or some other source) makes this nearly undrinkable. 1.0

M - Almost painfully fizzy and carbonated. Once the beer warms up in your mouth it becomes flat and almost tepid. Meant to go down your gullet, not stay in your mouth. Does go down easy though. 1.5

O - If you're looking to drink something and drink it fast, go for Natural Light. Otherwise, you can get much better options for relatively the same price. 1.0 (807 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +23.7%

I had to pour this ti see the appearance for the first time haha.

Here's the deal, you drink this to get drunk, and it's not even great at that, being 4.2% alcohol. I suggest Natural Ice if you want to do some damage.

Anyway, it looks like something close to water, tastes like close to water, and smells mostly like the can is came in. Drink this cause you're cheap like me while in college. Not a repulsive taste, just hardly any at all. Easy to drink a ton of. (465 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -37.1%

Natural Light pours like your typical pale lager. The color is straw gold. There was no smell to speak of, none at all. The taste was bland and boring. Honestly, this beer felt like water in my mouth; oh that's right it IS water with food coloring added. My grandmother drinks this beer like its going out of style. She always has a 30 pack of it on hand. (355 characters)

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch