Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,931 | Reviews: 571
2.41/5  rDev +43.5%

Drank this beer all the time in college. Didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me and now I have no problem drinking it. The color of this beer is a decent pale amber color with a decent head. The smell is a potent hoppy smell which strikes the nostrils immediately. Taste's malty at first, but you get used to the taste. Decent mouthfeel, not too watery for a light beer. Usually only drink it when it's the best available.

2.42/5  rDev +44%

I like it better than some and I like some better than this as well.

2.42/5  rDev +44%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Overall I did not care for this beer very much. It had a very skunky smell when i opened the can and the taste was a little like watered down. It might have been because it was a light instead of normal but I still did not care for it. The overall mouth feel was not very great either which is why i only gave it a 2 out of 5.

2.43/5  rDev +44.6%

What does it mean when you review this beer?
a.) you're in college
b.) you're currently unemployed
c.) you're a cheap son-of-a-bitch
d.) none of the above

My answer is 'd' , none of the above, I swear!

I was painting the ceilings in the bedrooms, 3 of them, today and I told my wife to go get me "light beer, whatever's on sale".

She came back with a cold 12 pack of this beer and said it was on sale for $4.49.

All right, I'll admit there was a time when I would drink cases of this stuff in the summer, sometimes a case or more over the course of a long hot day.

That was 20 years ago... thanks for remembering, Sweetheart!

I'm on number 9 as of this review and I'm actually thinking about asking her to go get me more...

Not!

2.45/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

If I could rate this beer at zero I would. Stopped by the quick pick gas station after work. Had low funds so I grabbed a sixxer of 16oz cans for $3.50. Should have been my first sign. I noticed it has no taste at all. Canned water with alcohol. My dog wouldn't even drink it. Causes gut busting diarhea also!

2.46/5  rDev +46.4%

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - very pale straw-like color with about 2 fingers of white foam that dissipates somewhat quickly. Decent carbonation.

Smell - smells very acrid and not well-mixed. Maybe a funky malt base, but I can't tell anything more from that.

Taste and Mouthfeel - less pungent than the smell. Mostly tasteless actually. Slight bitterness in the middle, but that fades quickly. Mostly just not very tasteful at all. Texture is pretty watery.

Overall - mostly a "meh" beer. It doesn't really taste like anything at all, but the smell was pretty bad. I'd avoid this if you want to actually taste and smell something.

2.47/5  rDev +47%

Ah Natty Light... so many experiences with this one, from keg parties to a fridge full of 16 oz. cans playing drinking games.

I've come to realize that drinking games and keg parties are the only real use for this one. It's quite drinkable, becaues it's barely more than drinking water. Not much else to it, it barely tastes like beer, smells like beer, or even looks like beer.

Bonus points for the nostalgia, but not something you'd find in my fridge these days. Well, unless we're having a hurricane party.

2.48/5  rDev +47.6%

Poured a very pale yellow color with moderate white puffy head that very quickly vanished. Smell is on the sweetish side, and not particularly enjoyable.Taste is very mild, non-offensive (because there is so little there) taste does not improve when it warms because some strange sweet notes begin to appear. Refreshing when ice cold, not very good cool. Drink it fast while its ice cold.

2.5/5  rDev +48.8%

This is a very cheap light beer that delivers on a watered down flavor. The color is a very light yellow that is not that appealing. The aroma is very bland with the pungent smell of cheap beer. The taste is not much better. It has a nice refreshing mouthfeel because it is a watered down light beer. The finish is not very good but it is quite drinkable and if you are looking to drink alot of beer for very cheap, this just might be your beer.

2.5/5  rDev +48.8%

I purchased it in the cans and put in the fridge for the nephews who like it (they "pick things up and put them dowen") since it's low calorie and they're on the younger side of beer appreciation. I had one cold from the fridge and found it quite inoffensive. In fact so devoid of anything that it was quite refreshing, like Busch, or water, and I can see how it would be a good session beer, and why it's popular with the frats. No smell, no taste except a quick crisp carbonation that quickly dissipates, no odd aftertaste (I'm talking about you Narragansett) , just an easy 4.2% ABV beer. It's like stretching out for the real game, or coming in the the home stretch after. No offense. No foul. Lots of descriptive reviews here making up offenses, but really it is almost as inoffensive as Ultra Light, where you suspect it is take calories out of your body, like some kind of flavor vacuum. In fact I'm so content with its neutrality I'm upping my rating to a true beige medium of 2.5.

2.5/5  rDev +48.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am going to give this beer a generous 2.5 across the board for the simple fact that it is what fueled my freshman year of college. It has very little taste at all and it is very cheap as well. My friends and I buy case after countless case of this stuff to satisfy are drinking needs when we are broke. I buy the good stuff when I can, but it is nice to know there is always a twelve of natty waiting for me.

2.52/5  rDev +50%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very faint, maybe some hints of beer? Taste is like the smell, water with just a touch of beer. Basically no flavor here. Feels light in the mouth and is drinkable due to it's lightness. Overall there is nothing to recommend about this beer.

2.53/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

DOWN. Drink only when necessary.... or if fishing!

2.53/5  rDev +50.6%

This is an exceptional beer if you prefer to get a cheap buzz, and a great alternative to keystone light or miller high life, coors' knockoff and miller's knockoff, respectively. This beer is the best of the worst, and also has the best price among its foul tasting competitors.

2.54/5  rDev +51.2%

This is not a pleasant beer to consume, there will be no joy in Mudville tonight if this is all there is......This product as imported into Canada in a quart bottle pours out very light with minimum head that disapates to nothing....it actually appears to be water after sitting for 5 minutes.....the taste is very thin with a slight bitterness which actually gives it a slight bit of character.....

2.55/5  rDev +51.8%

Excellent party beer and goes down very easy. Certainly not a beer to buy and enjoy with meals or anything like that. Would much rather drink this than PBR. Your typical cheap beer to be used for parties, tailgating, etc etc. Won't be anything spectacular.

2.55/5  rDev +51.8%

Pours pale, corn water into beer glass. Foams up a bit but in the blink of an eye is gone and no lacing remains. Taste is corny, can't really detect much malt, hop or anything else, but some hop in the middle. The taste in the back and aftertaste are interesting. I was expecting a similiar flavor to bud light but I honestly think the aftertaste is better, or I should say, not as bad as bud light. The corn taste remains in the aftertaste, really just the corn flavor here throughout, pretty boring.

I was expecting a relationship here similiar to coors light and keystone light, those two are very similiar to me, but this is a unique beer from bud light and I do prefer it because it's cheaper and doesn't have a foul aftertaste. If looking for cheap light beer go with Keystone light or Old Milwaukee light, they are easier to drink and unique from other light macro's I'd say.

2.56/5  rDev +52.4%

Trying Natural Light for the first time tonight. It pours a typical straw color with a flurry of bubbles that surfaced to form a one inch thick head. After the soda pop reminiscent fizzing ended there was virtually no head remaining except for a thin ring alone the extremity of the glass. Some bubbles pop up periodically. The smell right after the pour has a lightly hopped bitter essence with hints of plastic.
After that, it is hard to pick up anything beyond a bit of malt sweetness and maybe some corn. Despite having next to no smell, I am actually a bit surprised that the scent lacks off flavors.

As I accept this pale liquid of the gods into my mouth I am greeted by a surprisingly good blend of crisp bitterness and a clean malt sweetness. For a light lager, this is a very nice touch. Of course, few people try to taste this beer, but on the midpalate comes apple juice, plastic, and some iron. The finish is mostly just bubbly plastic. Most of the negative elements are eliminated by the fact no normal person holds this beer in their mouth to let the flavors soak in, instead they are quickly rinsed by the rather high level of carbonation. In my first drink, actually, I nearly choked on the bubbles when I went to swallow. The body is like water, as is expected.

Overall, Natural Light surpassed all of my expectations. Good balance of malt and bitterness and very light on the off flavors, though at the cost of being quite fizzy. I don't get it when people bash this for tasting like water... in a light lager tasting like water is the ultimate goal. There are many many worse beers in the world, and I didn't find this any worse than many of the "premium" beers on shelves.

Note: The score in this review reflects this beer in comparison to other beers in the style of light industrial lager. It should not be directly compared to craft beer.

2.56/5  rDev +52.4%

Taste very light, faint grassy hay-like flavor, faint malt teaser with a minor hop-pop that goes away after half a beer.

Let's face it, this is a lawnmower beer which doesn't taste like beer at all.

It's is a crisp, cold, and refreshing, highly carbonated, inexpensive Gatorade alternative. Very good Macro-swill beverage. I do not believe it is possible to get "wasted" drinking NL - there's just not enough abv. I've probably shotgunned 24 of these in 24 hour period without success.

2.56/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Natural Light basically tastes like beer mixed with water.
Fairly nice appearance for such a cheap macro, and easy to drink, even in large quantities, but tastes like water and adjuncts.
Very well carbonated, that's about all there is to it.
Were it not for the slightly malty flavor in the finish, I would have thought I was drinking club soda.

2.57/5  rDev +53%

One stream of carbonation sums up this beer's appearance. Foamy head at the start but like most macro lagers this disappears pretty fast. Light light light golden honey color. Smell is mostly grain. Taste is rice and grain with a subtle sweetness that doesn't go overboard like most beers in this style. Mouthfeel has nice bubbles and is just right for the style. This beer is much better than I remember it to be in high school and I could even see this as a go to after something heavy. Easy all around.

2.6/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

O.k This is a classic in it's own right for the college scene, partiers and cheap o's. I'm gonna pour this puppy out of it's can too see how it rates.

Well, The color is a pale, very pale white gold color with obvious big carboantion that creates a really thin layer of foam at the top that i guess we can concider the head. Oh, look it's gone!

The aroma is not offensive, it's a strange and very sweet malt scent that dominates. slightest hop scent...more of a bitter scent really. It does not have any 'off" aroma's, it's the lack of aroma that worries me.

The flavor is not killing me, it's a rather clean, watery....very watery, but sweet malt and slight bitter to sour after taste that does not linger and ends clean and refreshing as long as you don't let it sit around too long. The overly sour and metallic bitter finish is not present. That's a good thing.

I would actually concider this a Beer-style beverage.

2.6/5  rDev +54.8%

Looks an odd yellow with hardly any bubbles and no head. Smells faint. Grain and rice. Tastes ricey with a little sweetness and actually, some malt towards the end. Grain as well. Mouthfeel is thin and prickly. I could drink this for a while. Simple.

2.6/5  rDev +54.8%

Rating this beer as terrible because it tastes like water is an injustice. It is what it is. Take a carload to the beach on spring break and you're in business. If you are relaxing for a night of sampling this isn't for you because it tastes like T Total shit. If you're trying to get wasted on a budget then what are your alternatives? I love beer with the best of them but you won't see me stumbling down the beach with a St. Bernardus anytime soon. I'll have a Natty Light thank you very much.

Appearance: Lighter than urine, darker than water.

Smell: See above

Taste: See above

Mouthfeel: See above

Drinkability: Have to be cut off to quit drinking this stuff.

Cheers

2.6/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As a college student I feel bad rating it this low, but when it comes right down to it this beer is actually pretty bad compared to others. As for other cheap American Light Lagers this is by far the best.

It looks alot like piss with little head even when poured aggresively. Little to no lacing or even froth at the top.

To me and Ragan09 smells alot like bananas with maybe a little corn smell.

The taste has a slight bitterness no real hoppy flavor or any complexity to it what so ever. Still more flavor then Busch Light or Bud Light.

There is alot of carbonation but not so much that all you do is burp. Its real crisp and clean and washes out nicley.

As for drinkablity you could easily pound 20 of them and finally get pretty drunk, and for 16$ a 30 pack its nice in college.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch