2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Natural Light - Anheuser-Busch

Natural LightNatural Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-15-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 1,426 | Reviews: 474 | Show All Ratings:
rdrummer

1.33/5  rDev -20.8%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever tried to drink. I think it is the second beer in my life that I poured down the drain because I couldn't gag it down. The experience is a loser from first pouring this pale yellow, almost headless. I found little smell so that makes the smell rate a little higher than any other category. The taste was terrible. This didn't even taste like beer. It tasted like what you would get if you poured beer through a dirty beer rag and then rung it out in your glass. I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to determine if it even had a mouthfeel. It was undrinkable. This was my college student daughter's attempt to bond with me by bringing me home what they drink at the frat parties. Please dear, no more favors of this kind. Hopefully, she'll never read this review.

11-24-2003 23:10:44 | More by rdrummer
NickLovesBeer

1.3/5  rDev -22.6%

On tap at the last keg party i went to. Palest of yellows Natural light looks as if someone took half a pint of beer and half a pint of water and mixed them together. The smell was that of corn and slight metallic hints. It tastes thin and crisp but almost no flavor, totally bland, ugh. Never again.

11-12-2003 04:22:30 | More by NickLovesBeer
drewbage

1.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from an 18 pack of 12oz cans on ice in the Joshua Tree National Park.

When you're going out to the desert, even in the fall, a man needs a beer that isn't going to kill him. Partially out of nostalgia and mostly out of failure to find any PBR (damn hipsters) I rounded up some can of Natty.

The beer is faintly colorful with a nose dominated with a green apple CO2 bite. As time passes and the CO2 evolves out of the glass, a thin grainy nose begins to take hold.

Flavorwise, so very little happens in the beer it's only the carbonation that lets you know you're drinking a beer. Vaguely cornish and grainy with no body and a finish completely provided for by the agressive CO2.

Finish is non-existant with nary a palate memory left.

11-11-2003 18:08:10 | More by drewbage
TheDM

Indiana

1.58/5  rDev -6%

This brew had a mild to no aroma. A light yellow pour with next to no head. Some lacing as the glass is tilted. Tastes like a Budweiser to me. That's probably an insult, but so is the beer. No wonder I once thought all American beer was bad. After it warms, the aroma becomes even more noxious. But, as a faithful BA, I must sample ALL beers. Can I have another Sinebrychoff Porter please? I have to wash this swill down!

07-07-2003 15:36:25 | More by TheDM
marburg

1.48/5  rDev -11.9%

In something of a challenge from an old college friend, I had a couple of these this past weekend.

Pours pale yellow, thin white head that disappears pretty quickly. I drank this first one out of a glass just to review it and then switched to a from-the-can approach. Aromas were faint but sloppy -- kind of metallic and actively annoying. Taste is almost non-existant when the beer is ice cold. Very faint malt flavors and no real finish to speak of.

Anyhow, witness exhibit A in the prosecution of macro pale lagers as "piss." I haven't consumed piss to my knowledge -- but if ever there were a beer that ressembled urine in appearance, this must be it. It's drinkable for sure, but there are a couple things you have to think about: (1) Why bother? and (2) Drink it before it gets warm, because it'll be brutal on your senses otherwise.

07-02-2003 07:57:54 | More by marburg
adamboeckman

Kansas

1.45/5  rDev -13.7%

Absolutely awful! Very light appearance and a skunky smell. This beer tastes very watered down and just won't go down for me. I have never been able to drink more then 2 and I don't think I ever will be able to. Out of all the low end beers, this one takes the taco.

06-08-2003 21:07:51 | More by adamboeckman
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

1.43/5  rDev -14.9%

One word describes this beer for me, college. I think it was $4.25 for a 12 pack. I remember that my friend and I use to buy a twelve pack of Natty Light and a six pack of something better. That was the life six years ago.

No flavor, no smell, no aftertaste, just pale piss in a can. Don't bother, and if you have to then go for Pabst. This beer has no smell, no flavor and no taste.

Good day!

02-21-2003 19:31:28 | More by CharlesRiver
elmocoso

1.83/5  rDev +8.9%

When i poured this beer into a Pint glass i was amazed at how pale and stunningly clear it was. I actually coaxed quite a head out of it with a rough pour. The head was loosly knit and gastly pale. It was also soon gone. The color of the beer is a light, light gold.

The smell was not impressive, corny? i dont know. No detectable hops.

The taste and the mouthfeel are almost non-existant. They are not offinsive, but they are nothing more.

drinkablity? I guess if i was damn thirsty, it was hotter then hell out, and somebody had just spit in my mouth, i might choose this beer over a glass of cold Iced T or water for the sole reason that the alcohol in the beverage would do a better job at killing all of the harmful bacteria from the foreign spit.

02-16-2003 20:32:15 | More by elmocoso
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev +50.6%

This is not a pleasant beer to consume, there will be no joy in Mudville tonight if this is all there is......This product as imported into Canada in a quart bottle pours out very light with minimum head that disapates to nothing....it actually appears to be water after sitting for 5 minutes.....the taste is very thin with a slight bitterness which actually gives it a slight bit of character.....

01-10-2003 16:57:52 | More by Shiloh
mickstepp

My rating says it all. Watery appearance. No aroma or taste worth noting. Mouthfeel is just as watery as it looks. Got stuck with a bottle of this at a party hosted by people who have no clue about beer. I actually couldn't finish it which says volumes because I'm usually not one to turn down a freebie. I'm not sure if it's the worst beer I've ever had because it has lots of competition but its got to be close.

11-11-2002 17:38:00 | More by mickstepp
BeerAngel

1.65/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours just barely yellow and ultra clear. I mean nearly as clear as pure water. It produced a soap bubble type head that is not impressive at all. The smell is grainy with a touch of sweet skunk...whatever that is. The head is gone now that I typed that...and I can type fast! Lots of bubbling action. A lemony wang at first taste and watered down something or another. Just not much there resembling beer. Light bodied...well actually extremely watery. Well, it's hard to say, but Cheers anyways!

09-27-2002 20:51:54 | More by BeerAngel
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.03/5  rDev +80.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Natural Light pours a peaked straw from a stubby 12oz brown twist off cap bottle. Head goes about two fingers and stays around for a few seconds.

Nose is a sharp astringent and palate is of the same, sharp and bitter astringent along with the bight of carbonation. No detectable saccharides, just sharp and bitter astringent.

Its another hot and humid day with the temperature at ninety six degrees and this macro is hitting the spot. I really don’t think that this Beer was meant to be picked over. I get the impression that this Beer is meant to have its top popped and just thrown back for the pure enjoyment of its being a cold wet conservatively priced Beer.

09-07-2002 14:38:09 | More by BeerBob
Beastdog75

1.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Next to the Beast, this is probably the ultimate frathouse beer, and hey, I saw Stone Cold Steve Austin drink one on tv not too far back. I decided to give it a try, knowing full well what I was getting into.

This beer is a very pale straw color, about the same as Bud Ice Light. I actually got a decent head on mine which lasted a minute before disappearing. It had a clean beer smell to it, even though it was a little sweet. This stuff had a very watery mouthfeel, and on the tip of the tongue it seemed almost sugary sweet. Elsewhere on the palatte, it had almost no taste. The taste it did have tasted almost of pure adjuncts with minimal malt. No hop presence whatsoever. As the beer warmed up, the aftertaste was dominated by a green apple taste. Not like Bud where you had to "search" for the green apple. I could almost swear there was no alcohol in this beer based on the taste. Goes down smooth, but the apple aftertaste might discourage some.

Anyway, this is the cheapest beer I've bought so far, at around $3.50 for six bottles. This beer solely exists for poor saps who want to get wasted, but it isn't too bad.

08-26-2002 22:52:48 | More by Beastdog75
IrishRedRock

2.83/5  rDev +68.5%

Nattie Light is truly the staple of college campuses everywhere. Cheap beers are usually pretty bad, and Nattie is no different. Yet Nattie Light is the best of the worst. It's a college party beer, thats it. And although it looks really strange, Nattie Light does come in a bottle. You usually will be questioned because it looks all sophisticated (wow Nattie in a bottle?!?) Don't be fooled though, when you thought it couldnt get any worse, it does out of the bottle. Stick with that trashy silver can and before you know it you will be able to pound plenty of this swill.

04-23-2002 17:38:27 | More by IrishRedRock
Pegasus

1.18/5  rDev -29.8%

No. How's that for a succinct review? This beer lacks any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Wait, I suppose that it could give sparkling water a run for its money. A very pale straw color with an odd grain aroma, and a subdued head. Very little flavor, just a faint note of hops at the finish and stinging carbonation.

04-03-2002 19:34:31 | More by Pegasus
aracauna

Georgia

1.85/5  rDev +10.1%

I can't stand bad beer. I refuse to drink crappy beer. There's no point in wasting your money on bad beer when you can get drunk for less on cheap liquor. That being said, when the beer has no flavor and goes down like water, it makes it better than most bad beers. At least I can get it down without my gag reflex being triggered. Budweiser and Southpaw Light trip the reflex around the last third of the can/bottle/cup and I'm being serious.

03-28-2002 11:34:07 | More by aracauna
PantyHammer19

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev +87.5%

I bought a six pack of 16oz cans when I was starved on cash. Cost right around $4. Not a bad beer for the price and will get you a buzz. Around beer #3 my stomach began to rumble. As I opened beer #5 I got hardcore diarrhea and barely made it to the toilet.

You get what you pay for!

12-03-2013 10:36:44 | More by PantyHammer19
brewbattles

2.34/5  rDev +39.3%

We did a blind taste test with this beer against five other light american lagers to objectively determine which one is best. The beers were Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Light, Natural Light, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. You can check it out here:

11-08-2013 05:41:03 | More by brewbattles
AllForAugust

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Considering my proximity to the brewery, as well as the intensive distribution of this beer, I had the good fortune of selecting from a wide variety of serving options. Long necks, 12oz cans, 40oz screw tops, stubby bottles, tall boys, as well as draft were all available within walking distance of my home, but I felt rather keen to experience this beer in all its glory.

I soon found myself in the checkout line at a high traffic gas station in one of the more undesirable parts of a bustling college town waiting to pay for a luke warm, likely expired tuna salad sandwhich, a stale bag of corn chips, and, of course, a natty tall boy, which although normally 24oz, was this time 25oz, thanks to the good people at Anheuser-Busch.

And now, my fellow psuedo-intellectuals, we shall sit atop our high horses and snicker downward upon the lowly ass that is Natural Light.

A: Of course, I had the heart to pour this beer into a frosty pint glass; after all, I am not entirely cruel. The head was shockingly soapy, leaving a ridiculous amount of lacing for a beer in this category. No, wait, it's not lace, they're just ice crystals. The beer is freezing on the frosty glass (refreshing indeed...). The color is extremely pale and the opacity is next to none. I would not be surprised in the slightest if I could see clean through a fucking shark tank full of the stuff. However, this style is meant to be crisp and rejuvenating, and gravity tends to demean such qualities.

S: The smell hits the nose like a cool breeze barreling through the basement of a frathouse in the middle of winter on a particularly brisk morning after a party at the end of which, the last man standing forgot to shut the door before passing out cuddling his funnel and hose. Low hop character, and even lower malt presence attempt to mask the mineral-like hallmarks of a mass produced, forced carbonated beer.

T: I'm not going to bitch about the taste here. As far as this component of the review goes, less is more. This beer is purposefully bland so that it may appeal to the most consumers possible. I once attended a lecture by a McDonald's executive, during which he briefly discussed the amount of research that goes into making a consumable product "appetizingly bland" so that it could be consumed more often without becoming unappealing. In our world, fellow hopheads, this is known as palate fatigue. You wouldn't buy a 30 rack of barleywine for the same reason you wouldn't bring a single 12oz bottle of Natty to a cheese pairing.
The taste is reminiscent of a lager, and is very, very drinkable. "Lawnmower beer" as it were. Overall, I'd go as far as to say that when properly chilled, the taste is the redeeming feature of this beer.

M: Like tonic water, but less so. It fits the taste, but leaves want of more, which probably adds to the drinkability and the ability to pound an entire twelve pack and not feel completely disgusted by yourself.

O: I paid $1.39 for 25oz of easy drinking, low taste beer that I could slam quickly and not feel full and sleepy and that's what I got. If you refuse to drink this beer out of sheer snobbery, just remember that it has its place. I drank it, it went down easy, I feel slightly refreshed and not at all full. Well done, Natural Light. You're not terrible.

11-04-2013 19:07:39 | More by AllForAugust
bbluemzbeer

2.88/5  rDev +71.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The number one sold discount beer in United States. hops. It is first time tasting this beer. I will rating according light lager category.

Appearance: A very light yellow with a lot of carbonation

Smell: Like a American adjunct lager grainy.

Taste : barley some malts with some very floral hop character and bitterness. on rss then second then no taste with a clean finish. The old Wendy commercial where is the beer ? where the beer natural light ?

Mouthfeel Seltzer water feel to it,

Overall : Natural Ice’s distinction is that it's a beer most commonly seen in the US in a 24-packs being hauled out of a local grocery store by a college kids and older retired people on a budget. Have you seen natural light in six packs ?
Nothing offensive about natty light but you have to look hard find any taste to it. I am not going to trash natural light, again it has its place in college frat house and people hard on cash. I will stick with miller light and bud light which have more resemblance of a beer. The saving is not worth the quality you are giving up with natty light. For some of you out who buy natty light as long as you’re comfortable being spotted as a Natty Light drinker go an buy you some of this natty swill !

11-04-2013 17:14:26 | More by bbluemzbeer
dbrauneis

1.95/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some very faint lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Very light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy malts with moderate amounts of corn adjuncts and just a hint of sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of corn adjuncts and grainy malts with just a hint of grassy hops. Light amounts of bitterness that fades rather quickly.

M: Very light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp but watery.

O: This beer is very easy to drink and is refreshing but is not really interesting enough to want to have another. This would be a good beer for drinking on the beach, especially out of the 24 oz. can.

10-05-2013 23:44:06 | More by dbrauneis
Treath

3.96/5  rDev +135.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of an ice cold 24oz can into a glass mug. First time tasting it.

A- Clear pale yellow color. Lots of small bubbles streaming up. Two finger head that fizzles away to a ring of light foam. Looks good.

S- Light corn smell, biscuits, a little bit of malts. Clean water.

T- Very light corn taste up front with lots of carbonation. After swallowing, it has some malt notes and a tinge of grassy hop bitterness. Very clean watery taste.

M- Crisp, watery, light, high level of prickly carbonation, fresh.

Drinkability- Goes down extremely easy and smooth.

O- Overall, this is a very refreshing beer. Not offensive. It's perfect on a hot day or when feeling thirsty for a great light beer.

10-05-2013 00:28:31 | More by Treath
beergoot

Colorado

1.26/5  rDev -25%

Pale yellow body, no head. Aroma? What aroma? Watery cabbage flavor with a touch of metallic bitterness. Thin, watery feel; dry finish.

Piss poor appearance, aroma like tap water, disagreeable taste for beer. Yep. This is a poor excuse for beer. I pity those who drink this swill in order to minimize calories. There are so many other fine tasting, low calorie beers out there. I just can't fathom why anyone would opt for this loser brew when there are plenty of tasty alternatives.

09-07-2013 20:30:29 | More by beergoot
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

2.15/5  rDev +28%

Well this is kind of hard to review. Mainly because it doesn't really have any taste or smell. This is what I was always afraid was in the keg! Well, it kind of looks like dirty yellow water and it is pretty smooth. The lack of taste is a plus for this beer since most beers of this type are terrible. Well done natty light. Win by having almost no taste ;)

08-21-2013 01:11:41 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
FrattyNattyKA

Tennessee

2.23/5  rDev +32.7%

Natural light, or "Frat Water" as it is known in the Greek system is honestly a good go to beer for when you're hosting social events and you don't care what you're serving as long as there is a LOT of it at an affordable price. Like most American "water" beers, natural light has a lower alcohol level, which makes ideal for social occasions so your night doesn't get too crazy but won't miss out on that nice buzz (if you're responsible). I love my frat water but alas, if you are looking for a well thought out, rich and flavorful beer this isn't the right brewski for you.

Appearance- a pale golden color, plenty of carbonation bubbles with a white frothy head when poured

Smell- hops with a mild hint of wheat

Taste- highly carbonated feeling with the aforementioned taste of wheat barley and hops, very bitter and nondescript almost

Mouthfeel- bitter and fizzed quite a bit

Overall- for the price Natural is a good go to beer for social events but for pleasure not so much.

08-14-2013 03:15:09 | More by FrattyNattyKA