Follow our progress ...

Bud IceBud Ice

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Reviews: 271 | Ratings: 1,086
2.05/5  rDev -1%

Ok here's the review for real guys that can't drink 6 hopped up IPAs in a night with out weighing 280 . If your looking for a beer that comes in low carb , about 4 , with decent ABV 5.5 . That you can have few of out camping and what not , while enjoying a few nicer beers you like, at the 5.99 a 6 price tag you can do a lot worse . Really cold straight out of the cooler it's very refreshing and you don't have to step on the scale Monday up 5 Lbs . Just my thoughts .

2.75/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Malty taste not to hoppy, highly carbonated and inexpensive. A step or 2 above malt liquor if that is a positive, Its cousin seems to be of a higher quality. The carbonations hides the cheap flavor. Had alot better but also alot worse

1.83/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured at 46°F from an 18oz bottle (indecipherable bottle date) into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 09Jun16.
LOOK: A fingers worth of white foam is formed after pouring. At twenty seconds, the head shrivels to a line. Straw yellow in color. There is a subtle amount of medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is thin and hardly existent.
SMELL: Strong aromas of corn clash with mild aromas of car exhaust, subtle sweet sugars, and hints of spicy hops.
TASTE: The assault on my taste buds opens with mild car exhaust flavors. Strong flavors of corn bring an unwanted balance to the toxicity of the car exhaust. The hop profile next becomes prevalent as mild spicy hop flavors enter. Once again, an unwanted balance is presented. Hints of sweet sugars finish off this monstrosity as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Light-bodied and highly carbonated. This goes down rough due to the carbonation. Finishes nice and crisp.

2.94/5  rDev +42%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Long time lurker, after throwing back a few of these though I need a little stimulation so here goes. I drink more ice beer than I'd like to admit because it goes down easily and is dirt cheap. After finishing off a six-pack of Flying Dog's barley wine ale last night I was feeling cheap so I picked up a 12-pack of Bud Ice from the gas station. It's a cheap brew but it goes down shockingly easy. You do not sip this beer, you take it in gulps. Smooth, heavy carbonation leads to a malty, watery finish. It's reminiscent of malt-liquor. As light as a beer can go without calling itself light. Awful unappealing bottle design and straw yellow color, equally unfavorable smell. When I'm feeling cheap though it's either this or Icehouse - I'll put either of them above a Bud Light, Miller, etc. Just a simple economical beer with a flavor decent enough to drink all evening.

3.35/5  rDev +61.8%

Champion of the Ice Beer arm wrestling competition.

This one actually taste good and doesn't diminish too greatly after it warms up a bit. Sort of an enhanced Budwiser with more of that brand's better qualities. It is crisp, clean, smooth, fuller textured and doesn't have the slightly abrasive aftertaste of regular Bud.

Bargain priced and well worth it.

2.29/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1/20/16 - District of Columbia - (25 oz can, multiple pours into small thin glass). Very light straw pour, somewhat clear, generous white head, lacing and carbonation. Hops, corn and malt aroma, very thin texture, easy smooth beer going down.

2.43/5  rDev +17.4%

Perfect for a palate cleanser. Why? Because it has very little flavor and it is very carbonated. Pours a pale straw color with a crackling head that dissipates into nothing. The mouthfeel of this beer disturbs me, as if it should be sent back to the fermenting tanks. I do enjoy this one. Probably one of my favorite AB products.

I drank this one fine evening, camping, in WV. There were NO other options... like, none. Not even water. My headache that ensued had me pondering whether I, or Ned Beatty, had had the worse experience in the backwoods of West Virginia. So that is my review, "Comparably as awful as being raped in the ass by hillbillies".

3.63/5  rDev +75.4%

Currently enjoying out of a glass 40 poured, every 12 ounces, into a pint glass. This beer has a very minimal head when first poured, that dissipates within the first ten seconds, no lacing at all. Aroma is grainy, tastes is very smooth surprisingly for its 5.5% abv content. Very drinkable American lager with a watery mouth feel and moderate carbonation content. Goes down smooth.

I am admittedly a fan of light bodied American lagers. This is one you are definitely going to want to get bottled. Never had it in a 6 or 12 pk, but for two bucks a 40 oz, it's a good value. My only complaint is that it comes in a clear glass bottle, so you might come across a skunk every once in awhile. Luckily I have not, in the past few years of drinking it occasionally. Not my go-to, but not a bad choice either. Worth chilling out at home with when you want a decent tasting beer and a cheap buzz.

3.8/5  rDev +83.6%

Great beer for people that are not much of a beer drinker such as myself. I actually use this beer with a dash of bloody mary mix for my red beer. Yum! Like a light beer with slightly higher alcohol content. Did I mention that it's also cheap?!

3.65/5  rDev +76.3%

Look i will in no shape or style try to stack this beer up against a lot of other brews, but for what it is, its great. You need it out of a bottle, which sucks because most places have stopped selling six packs. And you need to throw them in the freezer for 10 mins before drinking. Weird right? But trust me it makes it a million times better. Its cheap but i prefer it over budlight or regular bud. Im dead serious. Less cost and more alcohol by volume. Just trust me, shake off the feeling of being white trash by buying it, throw it in the freezer for a few minutes, and enjoy an easy drinking beer

3.7/5  rDev +78.7%

Ok look. A 16 ounce red bull costs 4 bucks. A six pack of Bud Ice is 4bucks. It tastes like nothing. Like water more than colors light. But 6 of them will tear you down if you need a cheap beer buzz. And without the Malt liquor crack taste.

2.77/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Sampled on Friday night on 7/10/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "BUDWEISER" thumb-print glass goblet.

Brew pours a golden-yellow in color with a thin white head. Really not much lacing is noticed to speak of. Aroma is really nothing to mention other than some grassy grains. Pretty much is said for the taste as well. Bit watered down. Wasn't great but was drinkable. Like a regular 'Bud' but with a higher alcohol content. Lighter-bodied with higher carbonation.

2.26/5  rDev +9.2%

I was expecting a flavor along the lines of a spiked Bud Light, but instead it tastes like nothing. Highly carbonated, probably to cover up the lack of flavor.

2.39/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Very little carbonation noticeable, either as head, lacing, or even effervescence. Also, a very weird orange tone to the beer. Smell is not inviting, but it's not offensive, either. When I taste it, it feels thinner in the mouth, but the taste is not any less appealing than a regular Bud(weiser [Heavy].) That's a beer I'm not offended by, so I--for one--posit that there are certainly ten beers (and maybe even twenty) I'd less rather have than a Bud Ice.

1.75/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

For some reason, ice beer gives me a splitting headache the next day. Bud Light never does, but the one time I knocked back a couple Bud Ice, it did. I'll stay away.

1.32/5  rDev -36.2%

Looks like American mass-lager. Tastes like stomach acid. This is what I think of when I hear words like swill and grog. I once got to a party and this was the fare. I left the party and drove over an hour round trip to get beer I could swallow. This is second only to Busch in my hierarchy of 'rather go thirsty'

In terms of an American Adjunct Lager, I have to say regular Budweiser is better in my opinion. There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer, it's just sort of meh. It's not quite as flavorless as Miller Lite, but it's not exactly exploding with flavor either. I would agree with others that say that this would be a good beer for someone who doesn't think they like beer. It would definitely be a good starter/entry level beer as it gives you hints of what makes a beer a beer, but it doesn't assault your palate with bitterness.

2.9/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed within the style of adjunct ice lager. MACRO ICE BEERS (LAGER, ALE, OR MALT LIQUOR) DESERVE THEIR OWN STYLE ON BEERADVOCATE!

As far as A-B ice beers go I've also enjoyed Busch Ice and Natural Ice.

This beer is refreshing and enjoyable out of a cold 12 oz. bottle. Other size bottles are also acceptable. Bud Ice in cans should be poured into a glass. It's too bad that A-B InBev decided to save a few cents (after the InBev acquisition of course) and discontinue the "broken ice" style bottles that were super awesome and unique to Bud Ice/Bud Ice Light.

If you visit Budweiser.com you'll find no mention of Bud Ice. Oh, that's right, Bud is distinctly different than Budweiser. But what about the fact that Bud Ice is a "Premium Lager?" What about the fact that Budweiser Chelada (clam juice and tomato juice added) is welcomed on Budweiser.com? I guess as a Bud Ice drinker I'm relegated to the outskirts of Budweiser Land.

Bud Ice was introduced after the primary wave of ice beers in the United States, that wave hitting in 1993.

A: Bud Ice Premium Lager presents a one finger head from a hard pour. The head struggles to cap the entire beer and quickly settles to a thin off-white ring and some patchy foam that lasts the entire glass. The color is a few shades darker than Budweiser and, for me, attractive. Lacing is impressive for the style.

S: Super metallic (think iron.) Salty. There is a stale hop bitterness that is not inviting. Sweet and musty grains. Corn syrup. Despite Bud Ice being slightly weak for an ice beer there is a noticeable amount of alcohol. The similarity to Budweiser is faintly there, but replace the rice with corn. The smell is unique if not off-putting.

T: Reread smell. I'm fairly certain there is corn in Bud Ice because I get a distinct hint of Miller product (Magnum.) After swallowing I'm left with light bitterness and malt. The higher rating is due to more acceptability in the mouth than nose.

M: This is what gives Bud Ice a place in my ice beer rotation (and heart.) There is no other beer that I've tried that has the mouthfeel properties of Bud Ice. Stinging carbonation that reduces to creaminess. Oily slickness with a watery thickness! You don't have a sip of Bud Ice, you have a full drink. It is difficult for me to describe Bud Ice's unique mouthfeel as anything other than surprisingly substantial. This beer invites itself down your throat. Think tequila, or maybe Prestone. I'm curious as to possible additives to achieve this feel?

O: I can't tell you how many times I've sworn off this beer only to come back to it. The last generation label (starburst) made me want to buy it. The new label, which reminds me of an industrial floor cleaning product, made me realize I buy it for the mouthfeel. I'd call this Hurricane High Gravity Extra-Light before I'd call it Budweiser Ice. There are no other macros produced that can replicate this beer's slick and substantial mouthfeel.

Try it, and please write a review.

1.96/5  rDev -5.3%

25oz can poured into a pint glass

A- pours an almost clear color, with just a hint of straw-colored tint, small creamy white head reduces to leave just a film floating on top

S- cooked cereal grain mixes with metal, grape skin & creamed corn

T- clean, clean, clean, it tastes like carbonated water up front. A bit of adjunct sweetness hits in the middle before finishing with that classic adjunct lager toasty grainy finish

M- light watery-thin body with low but biting carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a dry crisp finish

O- pretty unoffensive, but not much more than carbonated water. This would appeal to a non-beer drinker

2.64/5  rDev +27.5%

(25 oz can - no idea what code means - poured into a tulip pint)

L: absolutely bedazzlingly crystal-clear, golden-yellow liquid... white foam forms, fizzes, yet manages to maintain a thin cloudy cap for over a minute!

S: about what you'd expect... very weak... almost a mix between pilsner malt, simple syrup, and champagne - dried field grass and Wonder bread... vague bubblegum note... nothing offensive, but almost nothing to smell

T: remarkably clean, nothing remotely sweet - especially apparent in the aftertaste... light-moderate bitterness, but most of that is carbonic acid... bizarrely bland - I'd normally expect some kind of canned corn element atop a pale malt base and the outside of the corn can... the aftertaste has a vague corn tortilla thing, but that could be a stretch

F: tiny tingle up front... clean and somewhat glassy smooth... ultra-light foamy flow... certainly one of the drier beers of this ilk, but not sharp... one could tell, tasting blind that this has a bit more body than their flagship... quite a few burps

O: I appreciate the thicker malt constitution of malt liquors and the like, but this comes across almost as if they froze off and removed some of the beer and left the all the water... as a vehicle to drunk, it does the job, but I'd prefer a little more of what something like Old E or Colt 45 has going on... I'll sum up by saying this beer is technically impressive but sensually flaccid.

4.5/5  rDev +117.4%

I had one of these fresh out of the freezer. put it in the freezer 30 minutes ago. Yeah its cheap obviously. If you can look past the price and not consider this to be trashy or whatever, this stuff is good. I will compare this on scale with other ice beers. Busch is maybe about the same as this, but this is stronger slightly. Busch Ice is some good stuff when you are wanting to crack open a brewski for cheap and relax. Its a nice golden color. One thing. Don't let this get remotely warm. Best way i can describe it is it tastes like beer. Bought an 18 pack of this on my quest to find the best ice beer. So far ive had Busch Natty and then this. Also Keystone. Keystone is gross. This is a Good solid American Lager. Its not offputting or meant for craft drinkers. Its just a cheap beer. Isn't bad. I find it refreshing after a long day of work. I have a beer periodically because its good for you.

2.01/5  rDev -2.9%

I passed this up last night for Milwaukee's Best Ice (MBI). Yes I am in search of the crappiest cheapest good beer (if that even makes sense). Luckily they had a single so I picked one up too and here we are. This is in th bottle because no one pours this beer.

Aroma (2.75) : smells like a mix between bud and bud light. Some grassy, grainy aromas and some floral notes too. Very bud-like.

Taste (2.25) : Ice cold it is better than MBI. After 10 minutes of sitting its bareable. After a half an hour, dump it. It's got bud and bud light flavor, with a real smooth finish. Malt, tin, corn, malt. In exactly that order. Slightly sweet on the end. The malt liquor trailer trash character is still there, and yeah the aftertaste is of tin, booze, and morning breath, but it is still marginably drinkable.

Mouthfeel (2) : carbonated, smooth, slightly creamy. Pasty, doughy finish.

Overall (2.01) : not worth a 12 pack; but for a one off with leftover pizza it's okay. Nice smooth flavor with a frozen feel and a malt character. Its still a crime to make a beer this bad and Bud Light is better tasting - and I don't even like bud light.

2.78/5  rDev +34.3%

Poured into an Irish pint glass.

Look: The body is perfectly clear and golden with slowly rising bubbles. The head is white and dissipates to a fine wisp and a white ring around the edge of the glass. Very light spots of lacing remain on the glass.

Aroma: Some metallic notes, otherwise very sweet with corn adjuncts coming through.

Taste: Pretty bland with a cardboard and papery body. Slightly sweet, slightly metallic especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry.

Overall: Comparing this to all other AALs, I see nothing offensive about this at all. In fact, it tastes almost like every other American Adjunct Lager out there. I have a feeling that when people rate these cheap macro adjuncts, they rate them compared to the DIIPAs and 10% barrel aged imperial stouts that they love.

2.92/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from a can in a tumbler.

While I was picking up a can of Bud Light Lime Appale-Ahhhh-Rita (was that the right number of H's there?), I spied a can of Bud Ice and remembered I'd never tried it. Time to change that. This stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived white foam. The nose barely exists, though I think some processed cereal grains and hard water come through. Maybe. I don't know, though. The taste resembles your usual Bud Light, with some processed corn, hard water, and mild biscuit-like sweetness, though a hint of extra booze is in there (it's not terribly perceptible, but it's there on occasion). The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat watery feel. Overall, this is your basic booze-boosted adjunct lager, not really bad, per se, but decidedly boring and tedious.

Bud Ice from Anheuser-Busch