1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Bud IceBud Ice

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Ice Alström Bros
Ratings: 768 | Reviews: 244 | Show All Ratings:
archyquaffer

Montana

2.96/5  rDev +60%

Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces about a 1/2 frothy head that reduces quickly down to a thin covering that does seems to stick around. The beer is a pale golden with ample carbonation.

There's a definite smell of cooked adjuncts in the aroma, though the flavor is clean and actually pretty flavorless, as one might expect. I would say it has a little more malt flavor than regular Budweiser. The hops characteristics are so small as to almost seem absent.

Overall, this is about what I expect for this style of beer in this price range. It's nothing special but nothing repugnant either. I paid $1.99 for the tallboy.

03-25-2014 01:42:42 | More by archyquaffer
PvtSnowball

1.96/5  rDev +5.9%

18 ounce bottle.

A: Extremely clear yellow with almost no head.

S: Alcohol, low quality grain but not overpowering. Not good either.

T: Water and alcohol. Almost no malt or hop characteristics.

W: Watery and flat.

O: All I can say is that this is a very poor lager.

03-24-2014 21:32:06 | More by PvtSnowball
TexasRedskinFan

2.8/5  rDev +51.4%

Bud Ice is cheap. That's all I can really say. I turn to this beer when my wallet is low and the selection is few

A- Clear bright straw yellow. Almost no head. No lacing.
S- Corn, alcohol, grains.
T- Slightly sweet. Very alcoholic flavor. No redeeming qualities at all.
M- Highly carbonated. Thin.
O- I only drink this for the buzz. It's easier to drink than most malt liquors.

This is what it is.

03-24-2014 03:43:10 | More by TexasRedskinFan
JohnFatAss

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

25 oz can.
Pours crystal clear.
Fizzy white head disappears before you know it.
Super carbonated. Makes the first few swallows harsh going down.
Has a foul adjunct aroma.
Not much flavor, some sweetness upfront., and a foul taste on the back end.

Ice cold it is drinkable but borders on Nasty.

The only thing that this beer has going for it is that it is cheap.

And being cheap can't even save it because there are plenty of cheap beers out there that are enjoyable.

If you want to get wasted, you would be better served to drink some high gravity malt liquor.

No reason to drink this.

02-27-2014 04:22:55 | More by JohnFatAss
workhardplayharder

3.53/5  rDev +90.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review on this site mainly because I am just now beginning to dip my toes into the world of beer and wine. This will be short and sweet.

First i'll start off with how this beer ended up in my fridge. Well as I said I am just beginning my beer adventure and a local beer and wine store carries a free book that lists all of their available beer and wines. Not knowing a damn thing about either I simply decided to try the first one in the book which was a listing of their domestic beer. First on the list was this and luckily I actually like it. Its light and to my taste buds has a slightly sweet taste to it. After reading the reviews I see alot of people arent a fan. But I find this to be a good starter beer especially for the ladies. Its light in color, taste and the impact on your wallet. I got a 12 pk of the bottles for about 8 dollars. I think this would be great hanging out at the beach or pool or outside on a hot day. No bitter after taste that I hate from the stronger flavored craft beer. I'm a fan. I would definitely repurchase

01-19-2014 21:22:17 | More by workhardplayharder
DilutedJack

3.88/5  rDev +109.7%

This is my first post. The reason is because I'm the type of person who just reviews shit for the hell of it, all the time. Even cigarettes.

I realized.... 99% of you are BEER SNOBS! I mean, as in, "American adjunct... how trashy."

Really?

This beer is perfect for someone on my income.

When you go into a convenience store there's 4 layers of beer.

"High End" (That most of you rate horribly, such as Pale Ale, etc)
Then your "Mid Grade" Miller, Bud Heavy/Light, Platinum (Mmm, I love Platinum)
Then your "Low Grade" Miller High Life, Natty, Icehouse Edge, Malt Liquor.
Then your girly shit.

Okay - first off - I can get an 18pack of Cans for $10 in FL here of Bud Ice. With it's 5.5 ABV, the reason it's in the lower tier is because it's market audience are those like me who look at ABV content when buying.

18pack of Budweiser? Nearly double the price. Yet, Bud Ice? $10.

Let's go into the beer.

IT TASTE LIKE BEER.

Not only that - It's very smooth, not much of an aftertaste, if anything it's "Bland"

Yet, for me, THAT'S GOOD. Yes, you can tell you're drinking beer. Yet, this isn't Coca-Cola - You don't want a flavor you get burnt out on.

(Oh, and I've been to three Beer Festivals, WaZoo, largest in America in Tampa, FL, two months ago - over 2,500 beers... so don't think I'm just so Joe Schmoe, I enjoy my beer)

BUD ICE IS VERY UNDER-RATED.

Listen, It's got the AB logo. The fact it says BUD makes it stand out in a crowd... etc etc.

Bottom line is for the PRICE... I'd wager AB is losing profits on Bud Ice because of the price.

It's basically Bud Heavy cut thinner; as we all know.

So don't be a snob, don't go spend $12 for a six-pack of a fancy label beer that has a nice 'tart' finish. Spend $10 for a 18-pack of cans (god forbid!) and enjoy them after work or during Football.

It's my go-to beer, right behind Platinum when I feel like paying the extra money.

Dale's Pale Ale is my FAVORITE beer yet very hard to find.

So... first post.... hope I don't rub any feather... just bringing it down to earth!

GO BUCS!

11-13-2013 04:34:40 | More by DilutedJack
Das_Reh

1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

Drunk straight from a 18 oz bottle

A = piss-yellow and fizzy (I poured some on the ground)

S = generic cheap beer smell, stale and grainy

T = club soda, booze, wet paper, sour corn, lost hope and broken dreams

M = fizzy and thin

O = bought this large bottle as a joke for me and my brother, a few sips and we poured the rest out. not worth drinking IMO, even for 99 cents for a 18 ouncer. We jokingly dub it a "Big Ol' Ice o' Bud" for reasons unknown.

11-01-2013 07:21:17 | More by Das_Reh
dbrauneis

1.96/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy foamy bright white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy malts with some light aromas of corn and rice adjuncts.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of grainy malts with some light corn and rice adjuncts. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades rather quickly.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: This beer is easy to drink and not offensive, I might even go so far as to say that I enjoy it more than standard Bud.

10-11-2013 00:23:17 | More by dbrauneis
CloudStrife

1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

24oz can poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear light golden with a puffy white head that is somewhat quick to dissipate. Just a bit of visible carbonation. Leaves a spot or two of lacing.

S: Light malt and adjunct aroma. Not the most pleasant.

T: Pale malts and a sweet characteristic. Almost a wheat like quality to it. Certainly that macro lager type of flavor, just a bit more amped up. Sweetness is a bit of a distraction from the flavor.

M: Medium body with low-average carbonation. A bit sticky and not as sessionable as other Buds.

Overall not one of the better Bud products, feels like it should be stronger than what it is considering the drastic change in flavor over Bud.

08-11-2013 20:14:53 | More by CloudStrife
bbluemzbeer

It taste like bud but with higher abv. You need to drank this beer cold and I did ! It went down pretty smooth and refreshing.

Appearance: yellow in color, fizzy

Smell: Adjunct grainy and corn

Mouthfeel: It medium mouth feel to it

Taste: Like most lagers corn, rice and hops. It is crisp and clean

Overall: not the best beer in the world, but not the worst. Again it taste like bud but higher abv.

This taste like Bud but stronger. I drank mine cold , it would have had a bad if warm. Drinkabiliity is good. For the price I would buy this again . AVERAGE beer for good price.

07-01-2013 22:09:31 | More by bbluemzbeer
metter98

1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down very quickly, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some notes of corn and hints of grainy malts along with a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied, slightly watery and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather easy to drink and the overall taste is neither interesting nor offensive.

06-04-2013 00:29:49 | More by metter98
Cjstoutlover

1.03/5  rDev -44.3%

If there was a 0 i would have put it. A hint of mouthfeel other wise corn seltzer Held about a 1/4 inch head for about 1 minute. Just a really poor excuse for a beer! Most ices are sub par but, this one is dreadful! I remember bud dry which gave way to the ice but at least bud dry was in a dark bottle and had a hint of hops! I first tried bud ice down in arkansas where bad beer is the norm. I guess it's all opinion but i just don't see it! Never again !

04-22-2013 01:49:26 | More by Cjstoutlover
mfnmbvp

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

22 oz. bottle, with no bottling information present. My second review of an Anheuser-Busch product. I haven't had a regular Budweiser or Bud Light within the last like four or five years, so it's gonna be hard to compare this Bud Ice to them. I don't imagine it could be much better or worse, though.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Half finger of fizzy white foam head dies out within seconds. Pale clear yellow lager body. Nothing impressive here.

S - Smell is of dusty malts and corn husk adjuncts. Touch of sweetness.

T - Crisp, carbonated, wet cardboard taste. Virtually no natural corn or malt tastes. Fairly inoffensive, if you like the taste of wet paper water mixed with a touch of high fructose corn syrup. Reminds me of what Sol tasted like. Do yourself a favor and squeeze a damn lime wedge into this thing.

M - Crisp is about the only positive thing I can say about this beer. It is carbonated, bloating, wet cardboard water.

Overall, inoffensive in the sense that it doesn't taste like some of the more extremely awful malt liquors which taste as if they were concocted in a chemical facility, but this beer is pretty bad. Doesn't deviate much from any other awful American adjunct lagers, except it might be slightly higher abv, but at a 5.50% abv it is still weak and pitiful, and not even a prime choice if you're just looking to get drunk.

Anheuser-Busch Bud Ice ---1.5/5

04-01-2013 18:28:22 | More by mfnmbvp
beerking760

4.59/5  rDev +148.1%

This is a true American lager.

Firstly, the appearance is magnificent. It's a clear bright yellow. One thing that a lot of drinkers do not seem to like is the fact that it does not leave a lot of foam. Personally, I think that's great; more drink, less air, I say.

The smell could be described as neutral as far as beers go, but you can definitely smell the hops.

The taste is unmatched. Although it taste similar to the other beers made by Busch, this is the best. It taste sweet, it's like there's a berry flavor after taste.

If you get it down to a cold temperature, as take a sip, it's wonderful; refreshing.

Overall, this is a high quality beer that for some reason gets a bad reputation. At 3 dollars for 64 ounces, how can you go wrong? It's a crisp clean tasting and looking beer.

And, in case you couldn't tell, this is my favorite beer.

03-16-2013 21:18:42 | More by beerking760
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

1.34/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Some idiot got a keg of this 'cause I guess he thought he was cool or something:

This party is absolutely awful:

Found a pint glass, hey its non-iced, alright here we go:

A: clear yellow body, no head, no lacing

S: corn/rice adjuntcs

T: sweet through previously mentioned flavors

M: light and that's about all I have to say on that, oh yeah, more than extremely sessionable

O: I'm about ready to leave this party, this beer I'm trying to figure out why I just sit here and not a single person says a darn thing to me like I look like some thug to them, hey I don't bite you assholes, but this crap you're givin' me just gets you drunk without any good taste, yeah I won't have this again on purpose; Oh God, please get me outa here quick!

03-09-2013 05:53:36 | More by BeerKangaroo
Darkmagus82

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a light straw color with a one finger fizzy white head. The head fades very fast to leave very little lacing.

Smell – The aroma is a mix of corn, some breadiness and some cardboard aromas.

Taste –The taste actually follows the nose quite well. It starts out with a very light sweet corn flavor and some malt. The flavor sweetens out more toward the middle to the end all the while a cardboard taste gets more potent. In the end a rather bland papery and bready flavor are left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is average to below average in terms of thickness with a carbonation level that is slightly above average. A crisper feel appropriate for the style, but nothing too exceptional.

Overall – Ah nothing you really want to go to even for a cheap session.

12-25-2012 03:17:33 | More by Darkmagus82
Stinkypuss

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bud Ice

Look: Pale yellow in color, fizzy , over carbonated lager.

Smell: Adjunct grainy smell with sweet corn and cooked veggie notes coming out.

Taste: Sweet corn, rice and stale hop flavor. Somewhat crisp but near cloying sweetness is king here. The rest is just a hodgepodge of spent grains, generic hops, and alcohol.

Overall: Malt liquor lite, this has all the downfalls of cheap malt liquor, without the benefit of high abv.

10-08-2012 00:02:06 | More by Stinkypuss
flagmantho

Washington

2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from a 24oz tall can into a pint glass. I do like to give beers like this a shot once in awhile.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a crystal-clear body and a decent effervescence. Head poured two thick fingers of fizzy white foam which dissipated almost instantly.

Smell: sweet malt, slightly sour grain, and a touch of plastic. Not great, but for all that, surprisingly inoffensive.

Taste: kind of over-sweet malty flavor with a bit of a sickly-sweet aftertaste. Better than I was anticipating, but it's not wonderful.

Mouthfeel: light body with a decent level of carbonation and a refreshing effervescence. Pretty much what the style calls for.

Overall: not the best beer in the world, but not the worst example of the style. That said, I still don't like this beer very much.

10-05-2012 20:42:49 | More by flagmantho
Brenden

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

A clear pale yellow beer struggles to keep a bone-white head that grows to almost a finger before fading away. A wisp is left on top, and a few tiny spots of lacing manage to stick.
The nose offers white grape and grains.
The taste offers seltzer water with an offensively grainy finish and a flash of almost residual sweetness and metal. It's fortunate that it's so weak of flavor.
The feel is seltzer water; just...carbonated water. At least it's crisp, as AB likes to tout. They can keep it.

09-07-2012 11:39:23 | More by Brenden
GossageBrewery

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured this American Adjunct Lager from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a clear straw color, produced a white head, retention was poor and no lacing left on the glass. The aroma of this beer is clean, some faint grain aroma. Light in body, this is a clean beer, somewhat strong flavor of grain, sweet, and some slight hop bitterness at the finish. Overall, not a beer that I would go back to anytime soon.

08-06-2012 23:54:42 | More by GossageBrewery
BucannonXC5

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 32-oz. bottle into a pint glass at my house on Aug. 4, 2012 (picked it up for $2.59 at a 7/11 in San Diego, Calif., on Aug. 4, 2012). One finger of head that dissipated almost immediately. Pale, clear, watery color. No retention.

Smelled sharp skunky malts up front. Also grain, bread and cereal.

Tasted puke (really) first. Skunky malts, cereal, bread, grain, corn and metallic.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, skunky finish.

Ehh. This may have been the first time I ever had this beer, but it was bad either way you look at it. Just stick with Budweiser regular.

08-05-2012 21:22:30 | More by BucannonXC5
netrioter

3.03/5  rDev +63.8%

drank from a 12 oz bottle...$4.99 a 6 pack at a 7/11 in Lubbock when i drank it a few months ago.

Its the high end of the Ice family by A-B. Ice beers are an acquired taste...extremely smooth when cold makes this a beer you can seriously pound on a hot day and the 5.5% will sneak up on you pretty quick if you drink too fast and cant k a beer every 5-10 minutes.

I call it "Wild" ice because whenever i see people sessioning this beer...things usually escalate into a brawl between a few of them because they dont expect to get plowed so fast because theyre Bud Light noobs.. Smooh like BL...taste is better than BL but thats not saying much...its priced cheaper and will drop you like a rock if you go too fast..

reminds me alot of Michelob Golden Draft..which was one of the best sessioning beers ever ceated...i miss Mich Golden Draft

07-21-2012 22:26:39 | More by netrioter
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

2.43/5  rDev +31.4%

This is the typical American Ice Lager. Very comparable to Natty Ice, except slightly more smooth and less harsh tasting. Very light and carbonated, with an almost malt-liquor scent. Taste is in line with most all AAL's, but slightly more heavy on the malts. Pours a really orangish-golden color, no head retains and no lacing. Not a good beer, but if you want something with Ice on it, this is a safe bet.

07-04-2012 01:22:46 | More by boilermakerbrew
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev +74.6%

Wow, a beer I never thought I'd review but here goes: Pours brassy/golden with a white head that leaves some lace...gotta bless the brewing wizards for that! Slight sour and adjuncty nose. Mouthfeel is more than expected, much better than the mainstream "Bud" we were weaned on. Finish is pretty much non existent but for what it's worth I expected less (sampled at a party) Would I buy it on my own? No. Is it drinkable? Yes.

06-24-2012 04:35:34 | More by beerluvr
SometimesIfart

3.2/5  rDev +73%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The best " Bud " beer period. Easily the smoothest, And the best tasting. You can pick it up for cheap, And it does a great job at getting you drunk. A definite party favorite. Doesn't taste much different than most American beer's, But MUCH better than anything Budweiser or Bud Light can offer. it is altogether much more drinkable. And the high alcohol content will get you where you need to go

06-14-2012 03:15:49 | More by SometimesIfart