Bud Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,007 | Reviews: 270
2.6/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fairly clean beer, albeit lacking in flavor, body, aroma and all that good stuff.

1.32/5  rDev -27.9%

Looks like American mass-lager. Tastes like stomach acid. This is what I think of when I hear words like swill and grog. I once got to a party and this was the fare. I left the party and drove over an hour round trip to get beer I could swallow. This is second only to Busch in my hierarchy of 'rather go thirsty'

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Only purpose is saving the returnable cases for man cave coffee table.

3.3/5  rDev +80.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer for the style.

In terms of an American Adjunct Lager, I have to say regular Budweiser is better in my opinion. There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer, it's just sort of meh. It's not quite as flavorless as Miller Lite, but it's not exactly exploding with flavor either. I would agree with others that say that this would be a good beer for someone who doesn't think they like beer. It would definitely be a good starter/entry level beer as it gives you hints of what makes a beer a beer, but it doesn't assault your palate with bitterness.

2.32/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This is a bad beer

3.73/5  rDev +103.8%

only better then bud cause has more alcohol

1.43/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Among the worst beers of my life.

1.34/5  rDev -26.8%

Not very good taste for me

2.9/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed within the style of adjunct ice lager.

As far as A-B ice beers go I've also enjoyed Busch Ice and Natural Ice.

This beer is refreshing and enjoyable out of a cold 12 oz. bottle. Other size bottles are also acceptable. Bud Ice in cans, however, is something I avoid. It's too bad that A-B InBev decided to save a few cents (after the InBev acquisition of course) and discontinue the "broken ice" style bottles that were super awesome and unique to Bud Ice/Bud Ice Light.

If you visit Budweiser.com you'll find no mention of Bud Ice. Oh, that's right, Bud is distinctly different than Budweiser. But what about the fact that Bud Ice is a "Premium Lager?" What about the fact that Budweiser Chelada (clam juice and tomato juice added) is welcomed on Budweiser.com? I guess as a Bud Ice drinker I'm relegated to the outskirts of Budweiser Land.

Bud Ice is the second (?) AMERICAN ice beer, introduced (in 1994 [20+ years ago]) after Miller's Icehouse.

A: Bud Ice Premium Lager presents a one finger head from a hard pour. The head struggles to cap the entire beer and quickly settles to a thin off-white ring and some patchy foam that lasts the entire glass. The color is a few shades darker than Budweiser and, for me, attractive. Lacing is impressive for the style.

S: Super metallic (think iron.) Salty. There is a stale hop bitterness that is not inviting. Sweet and musty grains. Corn syrup. Despite Bud Ice being slightly weak for an ice beer there is a noticeable amount of alcohol. The similarity to Budweiser is faintly there, but replace the rice with corn. The smell is unique if not off-putting.

T: Reread smell. I'm fairly certain there is corn in Bud Ice because I get a distinct hint of Miller product (Magnum.) After swallowing I'm left with light bitterness and malt. The higher rating is due to more acceptability in the mouth than nose.

M: This is what gives Bud Ice a place in my ice beer rotation (and heart.) There is no other beer that I've tried that has the mouthfeel properties of Bud Ice. Stinging carbonation that reduces to creaminess. Oily slickness with a watery thickness! You don't have a sip of Bud Ice, you have a full drink. It is difficult for me to describe Bud Ice's unique mouthfeel as anything other than surprisingly substantial. This beer invites itself down your throat. Think tequila, or maybe Prestone. I'm curious as to possible additives to achieve this feel?

O: I can't tell you how many times I've sworn off this beer only to come back to it. The last generation label (starburst) made me want to buy it. The new label, which reminds me of an industrial floor cleaning product, made me realize I buy it for the mouthfeel. I'd call this Hurricane High Gravity Extra-Light before I'd call it Budweiser Ice. There are no other macros produced that can replicate this beer's slick and substantial mouthfeel.

Try it, and please write a review.

1.96/5  rDev +7.1%

25oz can poured into a pint glass

A- pours an almost clear color, with just a hint of straw-colored tint, small creamy white head reduces to leave just a film floating on top

S- cooked cereal grain mixes with metal, grape skin & creamed corn

T- clean, clean, clean, it tastes like carbonated water up front. A bit of adjunct sweetness hits in the middle before finishing with that classic adjunct lager toasty grainy finish

M- light watery-thin body with low but biting carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a dry crisp finish

O- pretty unoffensive, but not much more than carbonated water. This would appeal to a non-beer drinker

Outlier detected...*eye roll*...it's not great

2.07/5  rDev +13.1%

My first go to beer from back in the day. More flavorful than its world renowned relative and I found it more enjoyable.

2.25/5  rDev +23%

Cheap beer with higher than usually booze. Gotta love/hate it

3.75/5  rDev +104.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

good mass produced beer very drinkable

2.64/5  rDev +44.3%

(25 oz can - no idea what code means - poured into a tulip pint)

L: absolutely bedazzlingly crystal-clear, golden-yellow liquid... white foam forms, fizzes, yet manages to maintain a thin cloudy cap for over a minute!

S: about what you'd expect... very weak... almost a mix between pilsner malt, simple syrup, and champagne - dried field grass and Wonder bread... vague bubblegum note... nothing offensive, but almost nothing to smell

T: remarkably clean, nothing remotely sweet - especially apparent in the aftertaste... light-moderate bitterness, but most of that is carbonic acid... bizarrely bland - I'd normally expect some kind of canned corn element atop a pale malt base and the outside of the corn can... the aftertaste has a vague corn tortilla thing, but that could be a stretch

F: tiny tingle up front... clean and somewhat glassy smooth... ultra-light foamy flow... certainly one of the drier beers of this ilk, but not sharp... one could tell, tasting blind that this has a bit more body than their flagship... quite a few burps

O: I appreciate the thicker malt constitution of malt liquors and the like, but this comes across almost as if they froze off and removed some of the beer and left the all the water... as a vehicle to drunk, it does the job, but I'd prefer a little more of what something like Old E or Colt 45 has going on... I'll sum up by saying this beer is technically impressive but sensually flaccid.

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very light, not a lot of taste. Very drinkable, but overall nothing great.

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it.

4.5/5  rDev +145.9%

I had one of these fresh out of the freezer. put it in the freezer 30 minutes ago. Yeah its cheap obviously. If you can look past the price and not consider this to be trashy or whatever, this stuff is good. I will compare this on scale with other ice beers. Busch is maybe about the same as this, but this is stronger slightly. Busch Ice is some good stuff when you are wanting to crack open a brewski for cheap and relax. Its a nice golden color. One thing. Don't let this get remotely warm. Best way i can describe it is it tastes like beer. Bought an 18 pack of this on my quest to find the best ice beer. So far ive had Busch Natty and then this. Also Keystone. Keystone is gross. This is a Good solid American Lager. Its not offputting or meant for craft drinkers. Its just a cheap beer. Isn't bad. I find it refreshing after a long day of work. I have a beer periodically because its good for you.

2.01/5  rDev +9.8%

I passed this up last night for Milwaukee's Best Ice (MBI). Yes I am in search of the crappiest cheapest good beer (if that even makes sense). Luckily they had a single so I picked one up too and here we are. This is in th bottle because no one pours this beer.

Aroma (2.75) : smells like a mix between bud and bud light. Some grassy, grainy aromas and some floral notes too. Very bud-like.

Taste (2.25) : Ice cold it is better than MBI. After 10 minutes of sitting its bareable. After a half an hour, dump it. It's got bud and bud light flavor, with a real smooth finish. Malt, tin, corn, malt. In exactly that order. Slightly sweet on the end. The malt liquor trailer trash character is still there, and yeah the aftertaste is of tin, booze, and morning breath, but it is still marginably drinkable.

Mouthfeel (2) : carbonated, smooth, slightly creamy. Pasty, doughy finish.

Overall (2.01) : not worth a 12 pack; but for a one off with leftover pizza it's okay. Nice smooth flavor with a frozen feel and a malt character. Its still a crime to make a beer this bad and Bud Light is better tasting - and I don't even like bud light.

2.78/5  rDev +51.9%

Poured into an Irish pint glass.

Look: The body is perfectly clear and golden with slowly rising bubbles. The head is white and dissipates to a fine wisp and a white ring around the edge of the glass. Very light spots of lacing remain on the glass.

Aroma: Some metallic notes, otherwise very sweet with corn adjuncts coming through.

Taste: Pretty bland with a cardboard and papery body. Slightly sweet, slightly metallic especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry.

Overall: Comparing this to all other AALs, I see nothing offensive about this at all. In fact, it tastes almost like every other American Adjunct Lager out there. I have a feeling that when people rate these cheap macro adjuncts, they rate them compared to the DIIPAs and 10% barrel aged imperial stouts that they love.

.5% more alcohol than Bud. .5% better also....

2.92/5  rDev +59.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from a can in a tumbler.

While I was picking up a can of Bud Light Lime Appale-Ahhhh-Rita (was that the right number of H's there?), I spied a can of Bud Ice and remembered I'd never tried it. Time to change that. This stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived white foam. The nose barely exists, though I think some processed cereal grains and hard water come through. Maybe. I don't know, though. The taste resembles your usual Bud Light, with some processed corn, hard water, and mild biscuit-like sweetness, though a hint of extra booze is in there (it's not terribly perceptible, but it's there on occasion). The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat watery feel. Overall, this is your basic booze-boosted adjunct lager, not really bad, per se, but decidedly boring and tedious.

Not bad. Run of the mill Ice Beer. For an ice beer its probably the best ice beer available.

2.7/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I believe on grading a beer on what it intends to do and how it effectively does what it was brewed to do. Consider ice beers for a second, beers whose sole purpose is to provide you with an experience with more alcohol than your average light/heavy lager. While I don't neglect that the flavor should be something that won't result in a peculiar face to be made when tasting, swallowing, and digesting the beer, I also try to focus on the overall drinkability of such a beverage and whether or not it can at least be taken as a serious effort.

Bud Ice is just barely passable as a beer in general, and without the heavier alcohol boost than your average Bud and a tolerable taste, there is really little else noteworthy about this offering. It was created during the time "Ice brewing" became a trend, and boy, Anheuser-Busch really jumped on that particular train, with Bud Ice, Busch Ice (which may or may not still exist, I can't find a definitive answer), and Natural Ice. Bud Ice twelve-pack bottles rarely (and I mean rarely) move at the liquor store I work at, but I managed to find a 22oz bottle from a podunk liquor store a way's away. Was pretty happy, as this is a beer I've been looking to try for a few years, but wasn't going to succumb to a six or twelve pack.

Appearance: Looks like beer, with a yellowish-brown hue overall. Unremarkably unremarkable.

Smell: Smells like an ordinary lager, with a bit more of a present whiff of alcohol and some excess grains. Again, unremarkably unremarkable.

Taste: Not bad, considering the subpar look and smell. Definitely smooth, bears alcohol over any discernible flavor, but the entire product is totally acceptable from a drinkability standpoint. It isn't bitter and harsh like Natural Ice, and doesn't bear faint chemical tastes like your average Bud Light.

Mouthfeel: Heavily-carbonated, which makes the beer lose some points for me. That sting is really unpleasant after a while.

Bud Ice is a tolerable effort, one that is a bit better than Natural Ice, if that's saying much. I like its smoothness and its surprising lack of anything bitter or harsh, but also am underwhelmed by its lack of zest or anything outside of the ordinary. To a degree, it's almost offensively predictable.

to view more.