Bud Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 263 | Hads: 1,049
4.55/5  rDev +120.9%

This is a true American lager.

Firstly, the appearance is magnificent. It's a clear bright yellow. One thing that a lot of drinkers do not seem to like is the fact that it does not leave a lot of foam. Personally, I think that's great; more drink, less air, I say.

The smell could be described as neutral as far as beers go, but you can definitely smell the hops.

The taste is unmatched. Although it taste similar to the other beers made by Busch, this is the best. It taste sweet, it's like there's a berry flavor after taste.

If you get it down to a cold temperature, as take a sip, it's wonderful; refreshing.

Overall, this is a high quality beer that for some reason gets a bad reputation. At 3 dollars for 64 ounces, how can you go wrong? It's a crisp clean tasting and looking beer.

And, in case you couldn't tell, this is my favorite beer.

4.5/5  rDev +118.4%

I had one of these fresh out of the freezer. put it in the freezer 30 minutes ago. Yeah its cheap obviously. If you can look past the price and not consider this to be trashy or whatever, this stuff is good. I will compare this on scale with other ice beers. Busch is maybe about the same as this, but this is stronger slightly. Busch Ice is some good stuff when you are wanting to crack open a brewski for cheap and relax. Its a nice golden color. One thing. Don't let this get remotely warm. Best way i can describe it is it tastes like beer. Bought an 18 pack of this on my quest to find the best ice beer. So far ive had Busch Natty and then this. Also Keystone. Keystone is gross. This is a Good solid American Lager. Its not offputting or meant for craft drinkers. Its just a cheap beer. Isn't bad. I find it refreshing after a long day of work. I have a beer periodically because its good for you.

4.4/5  rDev +113.6%

I'd say Bud Ice one of the best ice beers, if not the best. I have been drinking it for a long time, and unlike other beers, it never overstays its welcome.

It is about as filling as a regular Budweiser, and has a mild sweet taste, but not enough to ruin the beer flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +99%

I actually really like this brew! It is cheap it does the job for sure and it doesn't taste like crap. If poured into glass it is golden in color with a nice smell of malts and a little hint of hops the taste is very nice mouth feel happens to be great! It feels between a Budweiser and natural ice but with a nice balance!

3.85/5  rDev +86.9%

This is my first post. The reason is because I'm the type of person who just reviews shit for the hell of it, all the time. Even cigarettes.

I realized.... 99% of you are BEER SNOBS! I mean, as in, "American adjunct... how trashy."

This beer is perfect for someone on my income.

When you go into a convenience store there's 4 layers of beer.

"High End" (That most of you rate horribly, such as Pale Ale, etc)
Then your "Mid Grade" Miller, Bud Heavy/Light, Platinum (Mmm, I love Platinum)
Then your "Low Grade" Miller High Life, Natty, Icehouse Edge, Malt Liquor.
Then your girly shit.

Okay - first off - I can get an 18pack of Cans for $10 in FL here of Bud Ice. With it's 5.5 ABV, the reason it's in the lower tier is because it's market audience are those like me who look at ABV content when buying.

18pack of Budweiser? Nearly double the price. Yet, Bud Ice? $10.

Let's go into the beer.

Not only that - It's very smooth, not much of an aftertaste, if anything it's "Bland"

Yet, for me, THAT'S GOOD. Yes, you can tell you're drinking beer. Yet, this isn't Coca-Cola - You don't want a flavor you get burnt out on.

(Oh, and I've been to three Beer Festivals, WaZoo, largest in America in Tampa, FL, two months ago - over 2,500 beers... so don't think I'm just so Joe Schmoe, I enjoy my beer)

Listen, It's got the AB logo. The fact it says BUD makes it stand out in a crowd... etc etc.

Bottom line is for the PRICE... I'd wager AB is losing profits on Bud Ice because of the price.

It's basically Bud Heavy cut thinner; as we all know.

So don't be a snob, don't go spend $12 for a six-pack of a fancy label beer that has a nice 'tart' finish. Spend $10 for a 18-pack of cans (god forbid!) and enjoy them after work or during Football.

It's my go-to beer, right behind Platinum when I feel like paying the extra money.

Dale's Pale Ale is my FAVORITE beer yet very hard to find.

So... first post.... hope I don't rub any feather... just bringing it down to earth!

3.8/5  rDev +84.5%

Great beer for people that are not much of a beer drinker such as myself. I actually use this beer with a dash of bloody mary mix for my red beer. Yum! Like a light beer with slightly higher alcohol content. Did I mention that it's also cheap?!

3.74/5  rDev +81.6%

Nose is grainy and sweet with notes of spice. Smells quite good.

Pours a deep yellow, clear, mild head with quick dissipation. Looks okay.

Moderately malty with a nice spicy vein. Grainy and toasty sweet, warm and fairly pleasant. Tastes pretty good while cool. As it warms it starts to develop harsh aftertastes. Good mouthfeel - lots of carbonation and a moderately full body.

And yes, it is "remarkably easy to drink." Good show, AB. I rather like it.

3.7/5  rDev +79.6%

Ok look. A 16 ounce red bull costs 4 bucks. A six pack of Bud Ice is 4bucks. It tastes like nothing. Like water more than colors light. But 6 of them will tear you down if you need a cheap beer buzz. And without the Malt liquor crack taste.

3.65/5  rDev +77.2%

Look i will in no shape or style try to stack this beer up against a lot of other brews, but for what it is, its great. You need it out of a bottle, which sucks because most places have stopped selling six packs. And you need to throw them in the freezer for 10 mins before drinking. Weird right? But trust me it makes it a million times better. Its cheap but i prefer it over budlight or regular bud. Im dead serious. Less cost and more alcohol by volume. Just trust me, shake off the feeling of being white trash by buying it, throw it in the freezer for a few minutes, and enjoy an easy drinking beer

3.63/5  rDev +76.2%

Currently enjoying out of a glass 40 poured, every 12 ounces, into a pint glass. This beer has a very minimal head when first poured, that dissipates within the first ten seconds, no lacing at all. Aroma is grainy, tastes is very smooth surprisingly for its 5.5% abv content. Very drinkable American lager with a watery mouth feel and moderate carbonation content. Goes down smooth.

I am admittedly a fan of light bodied American lagers. This is one you are definitely going to want to get bottled. Never had it in a 6 or 12 pk, but for two bucks a 40 oz, it's a good value. My only complaint is that it comes in a clear glass bottle, so you might come across a skunk every once in awhile. Luckily I have not, in the past few years of drinking it occasionally. Not my go-to, but not a bad choice either. Worth chilling out at home with when you want a decent tasting beer and a cheap buzz.

3.56/5  rDev +72.8%

Bud Ice is an Ice Beer, brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Bud Ice has an ABV of 5.5% This brew pours out a deep amber color with a nice white head. The smell is sweet, with grains and , malts. This brew has a strong beer taste. You pick up on the 5.5 % ABV , and malts and grains. Bud ICE is best COLD. This brew has an ok balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in it. The mouthfeel is bold but , it has a clean finish. Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving Bud Ice a 4.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.53/5  rDev +71.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ahhh bud ice my broke bitch beer, 2 bucks and a few dimes gets you 32.oz's of delicious beer that tastes great nice carbonation goes down smooth but leaves me burping a lot i enjoy this brew. compared to bud light which i rarely drink except for last week it is a lot better in taste whereas bud light tastes like sparkling water

3.49/5  rDev +69.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review on this site mainly because I am just now beginning to dip my toes into the world of beer and wine. This will be short and sweet.

First i'll start off with how this beer ended up in my fridge. Well as I said I am just beginning my beer adventure and a local beer and wine store carries a free book that lists all of their available beer and wines. Not knowing a damn thing about either I simply decided to try the first one in the book which was a listing of their domestic beer. First on the list was this and luckily I actually like it. Its light and to my taste buds has a slightly sweet taste to it. After reading the reviews I see alot of people arent a fan. But I find this to be a good starter beer especially for the ladies. Its light in color, taste and the impact on your wallet. I got a 12 pk of the bottles for about 8 dollars. I think this would be great hanging out at the beach or pool or outside on a hot day. No bitter after taste that I hate from the stronger flavored craft beer. I'm a fan. I would definitely repurchase

3.46/5  rDev +68%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a medium yellow color with average white head

Smell: It smells not that good. It is slightly skunky, slightly pissy mixed with some hops. It makes no doubt on its origins, but it can be improved a lot too.

Taste: It makes no doubt this is a BMC macro. Not exactly, because it tastes like a regular Bud, but almost any BMC ice lagers.

Mouthfeel: It is a little watery, but very smooth. Pretty good on summertime drinking

Drinkability: It tastes exactly like Miller MGD. I don't know why, but I like to drink that kind of stuff from time to time.

I give a bonus point for the bottle design: they used clear glass, but it is still one of the very most creative design for a US macro I saw.

3.44/5  rDev +67%

This is easily the most drinkable ice beer I have ever had. It did not have much flavor to srart out with other than grain and corn, but the taste was smoothe and not to intrusive. This is definantly a beer to get wasted on and not to seriously drink. Bud dry is much better as far as an AB beer goes. But if I were you, I'd stick to the Sierra Nevada's or Stone's of the world if you want new exciting beers! Cheerz

3.38/5  rDev +64.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bud Ice should NEVER be sampled out of a bottle as the clear glass will more than likely render the product skunky and slimy. I drank this one out of a 16 oz. can. It has a thick, white head and a very clear yellow appearance. Lacing is scattered and ragged. The aroma is almost nil, but one can detect a stereotypical A-B beer smell. This is a very carbonated beer, but then again, it is an Anheuser-Busch product. Taste is acceptable, but a bit too sweet. Mouth-feel is similar to Budweiser (moderately heavy). Overall, this is a fine beer and would be a good accompaniment to cheese and crackers or enchiladas.

3.35/5  rDev +62.6%

Yeah pretty much one of those run of the mill American beers which I personally enjoy.Taste is your normal domestic lager.Decent flavor and feel until the last 2 watery gulps.Has a little bit more of a kick like most ice beers do.For the money I think this is a decent beer.I would recommend giving it a shot at times when your stash is low.

3.33/5  rDev +61.7%

For having only a half a percent more alcohol than the standard Budweiser, this has notably more malt on the palate and a bit more girth in the mouth. Hmmmm. It's also slightly darker in color, and I think perhaps the head retention might be better as well.

Otherwise, it seems pretty much the same. It's sweet like Bud without becoming cloying, and still offers the signature yeastiness of a kiss of light apple. It's fairly well-balanced and surprisingly drinkable while cold.

3.3/5  rDev +60.2%

When this first came out I liked it. To me it had a dry finish that was good. This is another beer to mow and play golf with. It is good for that at least. I usually have this in bottles when i do have it and it tastes fine smells ok drinks well, and is cheap and easy to find. It is like the rest of these mass produced beers. I would drink it again.

3.3/5  rDev +60.2%

Grabbed a can of this to use in a dip for the Super Bowl party tonight, and decided to finish off the can. Poured into a pilsner glass. This pours a darker than expected gold with a nice frothy white head on top. Retention is zilch and there is no lace at all. Scents of corn mash and sugar. The body is crisp and refreshing, as expected. Flavor is of creamed corn with the subtle sweetness, and buttered white bread. Light bitterness. Huh. Color me surprised. This was actually decent and hit the spot this afternoon. This is one of the better Bud offerings IMO. In a world of light, thin, no-flavor beers, this one stands above with a bit of flavor and body. I'd have it again methinks.

3.28/5  rDev +59.2%

Poured a plae yellow crystal clear color with large white puffy head. Smell is minimal, but not unpleasant, being maily of a slightly sweetish character. Taste is also very mild, With a slight maltiness and no hops. Finishes a bit on the sweet side with rapidly disappearing flavor. Good spacer, but a little too high alcohol.

3.27/5  rDev +58.7%

Light side of golden - and a stark, soapy white head that quickly dissipates - for the appearance.

As for the aroma, it smells very clean, with hints of barely malt peak under the generalized grain smell; you get mainly rice and a slight breadiness. A slight bitterness, but almost undetectable to the nose.

The taste is very watery and bland. The beginning is sweet, then there's the adjuncts/rice. There is a slight bitterness in the middle and towards the end, and it finishes with a white breadiness (i.e., barely malt).

It's crisp, clean, refreshing and dry.

It's more bland than when I remember having it from a can. Nonetheless, this is what I think of it as of now.

Personally, I think Natural Ice has more flavor, a better flavor, and there's more alcohol, all for a lower price. I'd get Natty over this, but this is a good beer all its own.

3.27/5  rDev +58.7%

I have to admit, i don't like AB products all that much, but this one hit a note in me. Strong overtones of corn, hops and alcohol, this brew went down very smoothly to my suprise. Short aftertaste of hops, and medium carbonation are the highlights of this beer. A good entry level brew for those looking to try an Ice Beer.

3.2/5  rDev +55.3%

Wow, a beer I never thought I'd review but here goes: Pours brassy/golden with a white head that leaves some lace...gotta bless the brewing wizards for that! Slight sour and adjuncty nose. Mouthfeel is more than expected, much better than the mainstream "Bud" we were weaned on. Finish is pretty much non existent but for what it's worth I expected less (sampled at a party) Would I buy it on my own? No. Is it drinkable? Yes.

3.2/5  rDev +55.3%

This beer is right in line with the style. Really as far as mass produced brews go, most are similar. I bought this tonight for the ride home. No need to worry, I was riding shotgun. There's just something about a nice tall boy in a paper sack on a country backroad after dark. This beer is fine for that. Actually, I don't think you would want to redneck it too much with a barleywine. A lighter beer in a sack serves this purpose pretty good.

Bud Ice from Anheuser-Busch