Bud Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Ice Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 259 | Hads: 1,022

Rating: 0.1
First had: ?

Wow. 5.5% was such a big number back in the day. Pours light golden yellow. Smells stale and urea-like. Tastes the same with more sweetness to it than a regular Bud. Overly light mouthfeel, and an unpleasant rotten aftertaste. To be avoided. (267 characters)

This beer is perhaps the worst I've ever tried. It's as if it were brewed like regular Budweiser to begin but was then filtered through a compilation of the factory workers' socks, and it has been 110 degrees in the factory all day and surprise! - the workers have chronic toe fungus.

Skunky and harsh with a thin but carbonated texture that is anything but smooth, there is no reason to buy this beer. I'm really glad that I tried one can for free because if I had bought a twelve pack of this I would have regretted it. Two of my friends tried it with me (all of us had it straight out of the can) and they literally couldn't even finish theirs. They dumped out half their cans in the grass. I managed to get mine down but it wasn't pleasant. (745 characters)

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: why is this one of the most popular beers in the world?

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (370 characters)

just god awful. No flavor. It was nothing except yellow coloring and fizz.

I actually went and got a six pack of this stuff to give it a fair chance.

So I can't believe I am reviewing this beer but I am. Pale color, smells like burnt corn, tastes like corn and has the carbonation of a bad soda. Mouthfeel = water.

AVOID AVOID AVOID! (337 characters)

Ice Beer, is it really special? Many people seem to think so. What is Ice beer? It is malt liquor dropped to freezing then the ice is removed so what remains is a much stronger malt liquor. Ice beer is for people who don't really like beer but they want to get drunk faster I suppose. Here is another fine example of a crappy beer from the "King of Crap Beer" Anheuser-Busch, Inc. (382 characters)

A Light yellow low, medium carbonation, small white head. Unattractive.

S- Smells of old broccolli left out in the sun to rot. The worse smell out of any beer ive had.

T- Malt, cheap ethanol burn, just awful.

M- unpleasent. rough on the tongue.

D-Poor (255 characters)

AWFUL. This 'beer' just smells from moldly boiled rice and distilled alcohol. Pale yellowish color, no head no lacing. Makes me wonder why I am drinking this, and who would buy this. The flavor is mostly of the bitter moldy rice. AVOID!!!

Save yourself from this beer... must have Dogfish (289 characters)

1.02/5  rDev -53%

This is the epitome of cheap/college beers. Horrible taste, but after one 16oz. you stop caring about taste. This is great for wanting to get plastered on a budget. Other than that, do your self a favor and pay a few cents more for a full flavored Budweiser. (258 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.5%

If there was a 0 i would have put it. A hint of mouthfeel other wise corn seltzer Held about a 1/4 inch head for about 1 minute. Just a really poor excuse for a beer! Most ices are sub par but, this one is dreadful! I remember bud dry which gave way to the ice but at least bud dry was in a dark bottle and had a hint of hops! I first tried bud ice down in arkansas where bad beer is the norm. I guess it's all opinion but i just don't see it! Never again ! (457 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.2%

The beer as it sallies forth from the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass a faded gold color with a moderate frothy head that is white in color and the residual lace a thin sheet to seal off the glass. Nose is typical lager, crisp and clean with the start somewhat sweet and the grain profile weak, top is cadaverous in feel. Finish is stinging in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert bone, been a little over four years since I sampled this beer and as I like to review beers on occasion, this one I should have missed. (549 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.2%

I hate this beer. This taste like a camels waste after not drinking for a year in the desert with no liquid.

That being said, it has a following that only Hitler would be jealous of, and for mere pennies more you could upgrade to the much improved Busch Light. You make the call. (280 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -50.2%

Sampled this in my quest to sample every beer ever made.

A - Poured out an odd orange-yellow color almost rust-like. It did have a small, foamy white head, but no lace.

S - Grain adjuncts - fairly umpleasant.

T - I was expecting it to taste a little like Bud, but it was worse. Adjuncts and odd flavors that are difficult to describe. The flavors weren't good.

M - It was fairly thin but not watery. Some descent carbonation and light-bodied.

D - Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. No hops, no maltiness, not even a little sweet. It reminds me of a movie beer, you know a completely generic labeled beer that just says "Beer" on the label. (662 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -50.2%

This beer has one appeal, and that is it's 1/2% higher in abv than normal Bud. Meaning, get you drunk quicker.

A - Pours very light straw yellow color which is very common for macro swill. Really no head to speak of and definitely no lacing either.

S - The aroma is not nice at all. Hints of metal combined with corn and stale fish sticks. What do they put in here?

T - Ok, this is just stupid. The taste doesn't even taste like beer. Though this beer is mostly watered down, there's this flavor of "stale" that seems to linger for so long. Blech.

M - Very thin, mostly like drinking water.

D - Not drinkable at all in my opinion. (637 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -49.8%

Absolutely clear medium gold in color. A one quarter inch white foamy head faded rapidly. Average amount of carbonation bubbling up.

Aroma can be summed up with only one word. Plastic. To be specific, the scents of malts, hops, and even adjuncts are non existent.

Taste has a flavor of rice. There is no noticeable hops or any presence of barley malts. Nothing in the flavor of what beer is supposed to be.

Very watery with a light carbonation burst that only reminds you of poor flavors. Nothing lingering.

Just a poor offering. Wouldn't disrespect food by drinking this. An absolutely must avoid. I'd rather reach for a water if given the choice. (653 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -49.3%

Original Rating Date:
August 15, 2008

Out of a tallboy can, I now refuse to buy a bottle colored anything but dark brown. Pours darker than a usual American macro pale lager, no skunk smell (thank god) but not much else there either- a little on the pour and nothing afterwards. Not much of a taste here. A little more than Bud Light, a little less than Budweiser. Really nothing to it, but it is refreshing in the same way water is. Not as much carbonation as some other beers, even the Blue Moon I had last night I marked down more for excess carbonation. For what it is, it ain't bad, but in the whole spectrum of things, it's trash just like the rest of the American macro pales. I have a Smuttynose IPA to try after this, so this is really just a warm-up brew for me on a Friday night :-D (794 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -48.8%

This was my very first beer, and I'm only reviewing it out of that obligation. When I was 10, I went with my dad to help one of his co-workers in building a driveway at his house on a hot summer day, and right before laying the concrete everyone went to take a break and "enjoy" a beer or two. After repeated begging, my dad finally gave in and threw me a can. I think it was an early attempt to discourage me from drinking ever again, as there were a few better (but still not good, being other BMC's) beers also in the cooler. Needless to say, I didn't even finish the can that day. But upon later review when I got older, this is my take on AB's bastard child:

A- clear, pale yellow, and very bubbly- typical of any adjunct macro, nothing out of the ordinary.

S- has a bit of the usual ice beer skunk, although obviously more so in bottles than cans

T- has a sharp, headache-inducing bite that hits you like a rusty nail; other than that, flavorless

M- overly carbonated, combining with the metallic taste to cause gag-reflexes

D- what drinkability? each serving is a test of will, especially if it's the first of the night

Although this is clearly a beer I steer clear of, it is still not the worst ice beer I've ever had- that distinction belongs solely to "the Beast". Still, I don't recommend this to anyone unless they are dead broke AND there's no Busch to fill their cravings. (1,392 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -47.9%

Drunk straight from a 18 oz bottle

A = piss-yellow and fizzy (I poured some on the ground)

S = generic cheap beer smell, stale and grainy

T = club soda, booze, wet paper, sour corn, lost hope and broken dreams

M = fizzy and thin

O = bought this large bottle as a joke for me and my brother, a few sips and we poured the rest out. not worth drinking IMO, even for 99 cents for a 18 ouncer. We jokingly dub it a "Big Ol' Ice o' Bud" for reasons unknown. (456 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -47.9%

I guess if I was hot and thirsty it would be a toss-up between this and a bottle of water. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I actually like this more than other Bud products because it doesn't have any of that horrid corn/rice/weak hops flavor. I'm still not sure why I felt like watching NASCAR while drinking this. (312 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -47%

24oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear copper/gold body, a bit of carbonation. Small head that dissipates quickly. Pretty unimpressive, even for the style.

Smell - Corn. Slightly malt. Maltier than, say Budweiser. Not much in the nose though.

Taste - Tastes like Witch Hazel smells. Slight alcohol. A bit metallic. Otherwise flavorless.

Mouthfeel - Flat. Syrupy. Sticky. Astringent. One of the single worst mouthfeels I've ever experienced. Completely unrefreshing.

Overall Drinkability - One of the worst beers I've ever had. In one word: Unrefreshing. All off flavors, no good ones. (604 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -47%

This is by far one of the worst in the Bud family. The color is a pale yellow with a fizzy white head. The aroma is mostly old grains and grass. The flavor profile is really bland with a corny bitterness. The body is extremely light yet this one is still hard for me to take down. (280 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -46.5%

This beer is only good for one thing, getting someone drunk. It doesn't matter that this beer pours cleanly with a clean golden color. The smell of alchohol overpower what little hops and malt flavor that might be lingering in those distinctive bud ice bottles.

This beer is more refined than lesser ice beers, and could possible be one of the best ice beers I tried, comperable to icehouse possibly. (404 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -46.1%

Wow, this is a whole bottle of suck. The only beer below this one is Beer 30. Ice beer is just a terrible concept and should be purged from any brewers mind. Nothing good about color, taste, or head. Not to mention being seen with a Bud Ice is very unattractive. Ice beer has only one quality, they sacrifice flavor for alcohol content. If you're just looking to get drunk, you might have a problem. (399 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -45.6%

Not the worst beer ever, but very close. Sample #16 at Radekfest 05 to change the pace. No colour, high liquor smell, taste of grass and lemon in water left a long time with cheap soda water, not quaffable. Keep it very cold like vodka. On second thought, have a vodka. (269 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -44.7%

In my close friends quest (hey Oscar) to have me kill my tongue he also provided Bud Ice. I don't have the best or perhaps even good taste... but I know my dislike of this and Keystone is more than justified.

Pours almost as clear as distilled water if not just as clear. Bleached white pourous head that disappeared between blinks. Slightly sweet smell perhaps but really so faint I'd have to spend more time around it and I won't. Tasted like wet plain rice and just barely that. Seriously, take some rice and boild it without salt or anything. Put it in the middle of a teaspoon for your texture test and this is the same taste. I know rice. :-D

Very plain on the tongue and drinks just like water should. Err. (715 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -43.3%

12 oz clear twist-off bottle> 16 oz. SA glass.

Spawned on: 2/28/08

Boy, is this one thin! totally clear, pale, pale gold-ish color with a minimal and rather slow carbonation make thin, bubbly, paper-white head that is poorly retained and becomes almost nothing very quickly.

I'm getting...sour wheat, bready yeast, cream of corn, aluminum and a very slight, subdued aroma overall.

The flavor that hits first is of sour, yeastie malt, light sour-dough bread, canned corn, tangy...metallic yeast that grips the palate into submission. Luckily a watery current flows in and washes away the yeast effect. The lasting, sticking finish is of sour, bitter metallic lager-like yeast.

This brew starts off light and crisp, sure very thin but at least it's crispy....but not for long! It quickly becomes much flatter, the life of the brew is slowing down....fast.

honestly, this is one of the worst beer experiences I've ever had, not THE worst but damn close. AVOID indeed. (982 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last