Bud Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 259 | Hads: 1,022
1.83/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's pale yellow and fizzy with a snow white head.

It smells like adjunct grains and metal.

It's got some malt flavors and a hint of extra alcohol.

It's watery and highly carbonated.

Overall, got this from a friend. Sine I drink anything I accepted it gladly. Not very good, but I like this more than a lot of other things. (355 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +44.7%

Only touch it in a can. Crisp, very pale, a little kick, reminds me off drinking cheaply in college, but not of the typical cheap beer taste. Lacks the hairspray after taste of most 'ice' beers. Highly redrinkable, because it gets the job done (at 5.5% abv) without trying too hard.

Plain horrible in a bottle. Watery, bland with a slightly rice grainy taste. Hard to choke. No matter how cold, it is still hard to swill.

Harder to find in the preferred 24 oz. But when I see it, I grab a few for backup when I'm in a pinch. (529 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Tried this one at a friends house a couple days ago. I have drank many buds in my life but this one ranks down there with bud light lime and the chelada. Just nasty taste of rottin corn and barley. Even ice cold the stuff is a drainpour. My buddy said it was only $7 a twelve pack and thats why he bought it for the card game. there is a reason it is that cheap because it sucks bigtime. Normal bud is much better (413 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +50.7%

Light side of golden - and a stark, soapy white head that quickly dissipates - for the appearance.

As for the aroma, it smells very clean, with hints of barely malt peak under the generalized grain smell; you get mainly rice and a slight breadiness. A slight bitterness, but almost undetectable to the nose.

The taste is very watery and bland. The beginning is sweet, then there's the adjuncts/rice. There is a slight bitterness in the middle and towards the end, and it finishes with a white breadiness (i.e., barely malt).

It's crisp, clean, refreshing and dry.

It's more bland than when I remember having it from a can. Nonetheless, this is what I think of it as of now.

Personally, I think Natural Ice has more flavor, a better flavor, and there's more alcohol, all for a lower price. I'd get Natty over this, but this is a good beer all its own. (860 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a bright yellow gold with a mountain of loose, bubbly, frothy head that hangs around for a little while. The smell is corn and metal. The taste is sweet corn, faint metal, and very faint hops. The mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, and heavily carbonated.

This is definitely a miss. There's nothing here worth a second glance. This is just another foul, macro adjunct lager. (380 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%

Oh dear God, I can not believe I had one of these. I was at a college party and my buddy bought some of these to be a game called edward beer hands or something like that, but I dont play beer games so I just had a few sips of it and gave it to him to play with my other friends...anyways, this beer is just terrible. It tastes like beyond cheap malt liquor, has a weird liquory with slight malt smell. The taste is just awful. Maybe I am ruined with these kind of beers, but I gag on beers with no flavor. The mouthfeel was horrible too, I couldnt stop burping after this beer. Overall this is by far the worst beer I have ever had. (633 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Pours a straw yellow with a fizzy white mousse that dies away within seconds. Looks as boring and unappealing as it sounds.

S: A bit of grain husk and a solvent-like aroma on the nose. That's about it.

T: Opens harsh with notes of grain husks, minerals, lemon, grass, and an almost chemical taste. I can't determine what the adjunct is. Is it corn? Is it rice? Is it both? The finish is mercifully nonexistent with fleeting notes of grain and minerals.

M: Very dry and thin. A typical light-bodied ice beer. Not all that drinkable.

O: As unappealing as this lager is, there are worse beers of this type out there. Reach for this one only in case of an emergency, and even then, think long and hard about it. (714 characters)

A: Nothing to write home about. Zero head, zero lacing. Straw colored. As generic as the day is long.

S: Mild graininess. Thats about it.

T: Tastes exactly like Bud Light, thus tastes just like Budweiser watered down to the most minimal point of recognition. What really turns me off however is a very unsettling metallic aftertaste.

M: Lack of flavor notwithstanding, this is adequate on a hot day when its ice cold. Something to suck down.

Overall: Neither good nor awful. Just a standard macro ice brew. Still, considering the almost identical similarity to Bud Light, you might as well get a little more bang for your buck and essentially get drunker quicker. The ABV will put you through the floor quicker than Light will. Still though, unmemorable enough for me to stash the remaining few bottles in the back of my fridge to never touch again. (853 characters)

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!! (342 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

A - Yellow with thinning head and carbonation.

S - Smells like wet grass and maybe metal.

T - There is a metal taste that I hate about his beer, can't even drink them to get drunk.

M - Light body, carbonated, lacking.

O - I do not recommend this beer due to the metal taste and lack of any other flavor. It is cheap though, but it's just not for me. (353 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +88.9%

I actually really like this brew! It is cheap it does the job for sure and it doesn't taste like crap. If poured into glass it is golden in color with a nice smell of malts and a little hint of hops the taste is very nice mouth feel happens to be great! It feels between a Budweiser and natural ice but with a nice balance! (323 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -47%

24oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear copper/gold body, a bit of carbonation. Small head that dissipates quickly. Pretty unimpressive, even for the style.

Smell - Corn. Slightly malt. Maltier than, say Budweiser. Not much in the nose though.

Taste - Tastes like Witch Hazel smells. Slight alcohol. A bit metallic. Otherwise flavorless.

Mouthfeel - Flat. Syrupy. Sticky. Astringent. One of the single worst mouthfeels I've ever experienced. Completely unrefreshing.

Overall Drinkability - One of the worst beers I've ever had. In one word: Unrefreshing. All off flavors, no good ones. (604 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Very light straw yellow with a very thin oily white film of a head. Looks really watery with lots of carbonation bubbles but at least there is a bit of lacing.

S- Weak sugary pale malt with a little bit of canned corn and alcohol underneath. The canned corn is a little off putting but its about what I expected.

T- Fairly weak but nothing overly bad, tastes like water with a little bit of light lager sweetness which is a bit of malt and a bit of adjuncts.

M- This is one of the worst feeling beer I've ever had, extremely thin and watery with annoyingly high carbonation. It feels like tonic water only thinner.

D- This beer isn't awful and I could certainly have a few but it is not what I would choose to go back for. (729 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +24%

It's a very transparent gold colour with a white head that turned tiny and left a tiny bit of lacing.
It smells like corn and cheapo malt. Not bad, though.
The taste is more mild than I was expecting. It tastes a lot like carbonated water and a tiny tiny bit like bread. It doesn't have any negative taste like a light beer or many macrobeers. So, that's a plus, I guess. But there is absolutely nothing good about it. (418 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a tall boy into a Port Brewing pint glass...

A - Pours piss yellow with a two finger froth head that dissipates almost immediately. No lace to be had here...

S - Grain, alcohol, and some sweet notes come through...

T - Really bland. Grain and corn. A little alcohol comes through in the finish. Not much of a taste...

M - Watered down. Light body with a good amount of carbontion...

O - Definitely not something that I will be looking foward to drinking again in the future, but something that I can see myself revisiting in a pinch...

Cheers... (563 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +42.4%

this beer was the other one i picked up during a beer run yesterday, i remeber this beer just for the adds from the 90's with the penguin.
poured from the bottle into the mug
appearance straw yellow with a head that goes away very quickly
smell grainy (252 characters)

Rating: 0.1
First had: ?

Wow. 5.5% was such a big number back in the day. Pours light golden yellow. Smells stale and urea-like. Tastes the same with more sweetness to it than a regular Bud. Overly light mouthfeel, and an unpleasant rotten aftertaste. To be avoided. (267 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured from can into a pint glass.

Look - very pale golden color, clear, with about two fingers of off-white foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - a mix of malty and hoppy, but a little more toward the malt side. No other aromas present.

Taste and Mouthfeel - almost no taste at all in the beginning. Slightly malty in the middle, but that again fades into a nothingness in the finish. Very watery texture.

Overall - Generally very tasteless. Not bad, but not interesting at all. It would be a good general drinking beer. (533 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bud Ice was one of my favorites back when I was in college, but that was a long time ago. I don't think I've had it since then, so it'll be interesting to see how I like it now....

24 ounce can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch white head that didn't stay around too long. There's a small amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is bready/grainy and sweet malt, not much else to it. With that being said, the aroma isn't offensive. Taste is similar to the aroma, it's mostly bready and sweet malt with a metallic bitter taste noticable. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it has good carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad at all, it's easy enough to drink. I certainly wouldn't make a point to drink this very often, but for $1.29 a can it's not bad. And when you buy Bud Ice, you pretty much know what you're getting. (861 characters)

I got this beer courtesy of one of my sons friends leaving a bottle in MY fridge.

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear yellow color with a short lived white head.

S - sweet grainy smell.

T - kind of sweet and grainy which is normal/typical for the style.

F - light/medium bodied with some crispness.

D - yeah, it's drinkable but why, unless you're under 21. (375 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +45.2%

I used to love bud and anything bud when I was younger, but all bud seems to do know is cause headaches and fills you up too much. Thats not that enjoyable. Bud ice though seems to be my favorite of the buds. The alcohol content is pretty high compared to a normal beer but this is not something I would buy persistently. (321 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -10.1%

24oz can ice brewed with born on date stamped on can. 2 finger head that went to nothing almost instantly. Ultra clear with absolutly no carbonation within moments. color is apple juice ( dark yellow ). This smells like nothing but maybe a wiff of grain. The taste is sweet from the malt and alcohol which strengthens in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is harsh it actually kinda burns a bit I dont think its from the alchol as its only 5.5 abv kinda weird feel though almost like a seltzer burn from the carbonation but theres no carbonation here. I would'nt really try this again nor reccomend it to anyone. (603 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +29%

Typical appearance for a macro lager. Light yellow with a thin white head that leaves only a few dots of lace.

Smell is virtually nonexistent.

Tastes super clean and thin, just like a Bud Light, but with more alcohol. Nothing harsh, nothing offensive, nothing much at all really, which makes it highly drinkable, but completely uninteresting.

Average mouthfeel for the style, maybe a touch thin.

I could drink a lot of these if they were ice cold on a hot day. Other than refreshment (which has more to do with temperature), this one doesn't have much to offer. (566 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +29%

This beer seems to vary in smell and taste from one batch to the next. I bought this in the bottle, plain bottle, not the ice covered bottle it usually comes in.

This batch was much better than any I have had in the past.

Smell was pleasant, no skunk. Small head left quickly. Very sweet taste in this batch. A little too sweet.

I don't normally drink Bud products but this 12 pack was much better than I expected. Unfortunately the next time I buy it (if I do) it will probably taste like it usually does....damp straw.

Not a bad party beer or summer beer. I know i have rated it higher than most here but I was pleasantly surprised how good this 12 pack tasted. So I will give it its due....this time. :-) (711 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Half a finger head, pure white, gone in seconds. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of wet straw, damp corn and sweet barley. Taste is harsh and bitter, but a sweet aftertaste. Flavor of corn, wheat, and malt. Little mouthfeel, leaving a dry feeling in the back of my throat. May be better after a few, but I don't think I could drink that many. (358 characters)

Bud Ice from Anheuser-Busch