1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Bud ExtraBud Extra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 119 | Show All Ratings:
odwyerclan

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +108.4%

The only reason I loved & still love this cute little beer was because of it's uncanny ability to accompany summer-time 'get-togethers' of all shapes & sizes and the ever resultant broken property this beer seemed to always make sure of. Clearly, this is not a beer snobs beer. It was not a mythical creation discovered on the 1,000th attempt of some poor bastards accidental recipe, nor was it the product of love, hard work, dedication or the culmination of expertise. This beer was the product of a corporate knee-jerk reaction towards a seemingly ancient marketing strategy that somehow went right. This beer has a following that might rival Surge soda... so those of us who love it are all either Juggalos in denial, caffeine crazy pre-teens pretending to be beer lovers, or simply liked the stuff. Too bad its gone. But, oh well.

02-20-2014 22:41:07 | More by odwyerclan
nicholas2121

3.73/5  rDev +95.3%

I remember when this came out. Always called this B to E. From what I remember this was a fruity drink. It was not bad. It is a shame that they don't brew it anymore. I kind of like it on a hot day. This was a Budweiser engery beer/ drink only came in 10oz cans.

02-09-2014 21:57:58 | More by nicholas2121
Drik

4.83/5  rDev +152.9%

It was one of the best beers I've ever tasted, it smelled good and it to affect after about 4 bottles. I think stores should start selling them again, with the same price.
Its nothing negative about this beer. I love the raspberry taste, the energy drink mixed in beer was great.

07-07-2012 17:37:32 | More by Drik
DUBinMIA

1.45/5  rDev -24.1%

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!!

I don't think they make this anymore

08-01-2011 00:03:27 | More by DUBinMIA
alleykatking

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My goodness I was happy when I heard someone I knew found a stash of old sampler can and this was it. Poured from 6oz can...best by date of 6-14-06. Shared with SuperNova777 and VinnieVanGogh

A- Poured a funky looking energy drink yellow. Half finger white head pops up and dies just as quick. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- The smelled like stale raspberry and had this distinct wet grain mixed with energy drink scent as well. The alcohol wasn't really there in the ending like I thought it was going to be. To be honest I thought this was going to smell a lot worse than what it did. Just smelled stale and sweet overall with a hint of alcohol (which was sweet) in the ending.

T- Stale raspberry hits your palate first with a light wet grain flavor that get masked quickly by the raspberry flavor. Midway through you can taste what seems like a light Bud flavor which once again gets overtaken by that stale raspberry flavor. Sweet like energy drink flavor on the backend with a hint of sweet alcohol finished this bastard up.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was still good for I suppose this style was after all these years. Stale raspberry and energy drink flavor is all I could taste on the palate and long into the aftertaste with sweet alcohol as being in the aftertaste. Flavors were kind of a mess with this beer which I expected to be honest with not only the brewery but also the age. I can't say there were any off flavors because they all tasted like off flavors in this one. No alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This just tasted like an old energy drink to me. No real standout flavors which made me think beer at all. I wasn't impressed with this beer but then at the same time I wasn't not impressed...does that make sense??

05-09-2011 05:19:16 | More by alleykatking
DCon

1.95/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Received beer from friend Chris' "beer" fridge and had never seen this type of Bud product so I decided to try it out. Poured from a 10 oz can into my Schlafly Pint Glass and has a "08311" date on bottom.

Appearance- A pale, yellow color with huge carbonation bubbles throughout. Has a 1/4 finger of head that died down quickly.

Smell- First chance I took, it was like a bottle of Cough Medicine was put up to my noise... Cherry flavored. Horrible! There were hints of cotton candy or an extremely sugary candy or even raspberry but this was then killed with the medicine smell!

Taste- Starts with a huge blue or white raspberry taste (almost like an ICEE) and then the Red Bull/Smirnoff drink comes to mind. Can't say that this is really a beer! And better yet, wondering how they put this one in the herbed/spiced beer category? Not a bad flavor but has no right being called a beer.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, and then has the cough syrup finish... I hate this part of this beer. The huge amount of carbonation doesn't help it either!

Overall- I would rather be drinking a 3 Olives/Red Bull if I had the choice... Have to say that this wasn't what I was expecting even though the can says "Beer with The Natural Flavor of Raspberry". The ABV's are rather high as well on this beer. Very much of a malt beverage for the ladies and will be downing the rest of this half pint.

04-21-2011 23:10:38 | More by DCon
PhageLab

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pale clear coloration, small bit of froth that dissipated nearly instantaneously. No lacing.

S - Smells odd, I can't place my finger on what this is, but it reminds me of a fruit rollup.

T - Mother of God this is offensive. Cranberry juice? I'm not sure, but it tastes like a light lager with fruit juice and battery acid mixed together.

M - Sharp carbonation and a light body. If not for the horrible aftertaste I'd say it was pleasantly crisp. Yet again, the flavor ruins the feel.

D - No, simply no.

01-07-2011 17:22:23 | More by PhageLab
JayS2629

Alabama

1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

The only thing keeping this from being the worst beer I've tasted is the absense of skunk.

A- Weak, thin pale yellow with thin white head, no retention and no lacing.

S- corn, somthing fruity, raspberry?, damp hay, metallic tones

T- Follows the nose with the corn, faint fruit, hay and metallic tones. Strong taste of cardboard and light malts.

M- Thin, soda like, watery,

D- Bland, overly carbonated, and watery. Drain pour.

01-02-2011 03:24:59 | More by JayS2629
TheKingofWichita

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a straw color with a little white head and some small lacing on the glass. Smells like bleach cleaner with raspberry puree in there. Tastes like water with a raspberry smashed up at the bottom. Lots of carbonation, the mouthfeel is way too thin. Drinkability is pretty low.

10-20-2010 14:25:59 | More by TheKingofWichita
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.7/5  rDev -11%

Two more "options" to end the night if you want to call them that. What an interesting beer day, with some of the best I have had starting the day/night, and finishing it late in the evening with two more off the bottom list.

This one actually came to me as a gag extra a couple months back and had been sitting in the fridge as i was going to trick someone with it as a tasting, but since its now on here, I guess i will suck it up. i was planning on staying up late so figured i would use this to power me through my 3 hour video game session, wow, the depths i go to. cracked the can around 10pm, an i did stay up till around four, but soo not worth it.

not much differnet in the pour from what i was expecting, but an odd aroma comes through. the normal wet hay, corn but a touch of light fruit an something, not sure what, almost like dry cat food smell coming out of it. taste is, ehh. its different i will give it that, but just does not go anywhere. light fruity dryness in the finish but that was about it.

overall not sure if this is beer, energy, fruit, no clue, but glad it is not around as this could get some stupid people in a heep of trouble.

08-14-2010 14:25:59 | More by mikesgroove
drabmuh

Maryland

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Promotional beer giveaway. I really need to stop falling for this "FREE BEER" gag. Because it results in a physical gag.

Beer drank from the can. I had to. Don't say anything. From what I can tell, its moderately carbonated, clear and pale yellow. OK, it LOOKS like beer. The description on this 10 ounce can makes it sound like trash though.

Smells like a bottle of Comet, the cleaner. GROSS!

Taste...close to the worst beer on the planet. Its sweet for no reason, it has a horrid aftertaste. I'm just going to pour it out. Forget this.

06-16-2010 00:30:12 | More by drabmuh
woodychandler

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

I CAN't believe what they will put into a CAN and call it "beer"! The CAN reads "Beer with the natural flavor of raspberry; Beer with something extra; 6.6% Alc./Vol." and yet along the top of the CAN, it reads "Contains Alcohol"! So all of the other labeling was not enough?!? WTF, over? The CANQuest rolls along ...

I got a nice two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention off of the pour. Raspberry? More like raspberry perfume. I could smell it immediately and it was an obvious case of better living through chemistry - NO raspberries were harmed in the production of this beer. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It brightened this otherwise dull, snowy afternoon, allowing me to write something positive. Mouthfeel was abrasive on the tongue, thanks to both its carbonation and the candy-like flavor imparted by something extra. Gadzooks, but the taste was awful! It was reminiscent of Razzles candy from when I was a kid, but at 6.6 ABV, it was not candy. The finish left me with a regret so profound that I CANnot put it into words. This is definitely one to be avoided.

02-10-2010 17:53:22 | More by woodychandler
mwa423

1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

Picked up a four pack because...well...Woodychandler does want every can, and I'm a sucker for helping on his CANquest.

A - Poured out of the can into my Stone pint glass. The gargoyle is actually screaming at me right now in pure anger. The color is very very light yellow, similar to bud light. Holding it up to my screen, I can still read the text on this page. Poured with two fingers of head which died faster than my enthusiasm for this beer.

S - Smells dead on Low-Carb Monster (hope Hansen isn't suing me for the comparison). Which wouldn't be an unpleasant smell except for the strong sour/chemical smell at the end. I sense this was what happened when AB realized that they were making too much money and wanted some of their customers to become Miller drinkers.

T - This tastes like a black and tan with red bull and Natural Light. Bleh. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I have ever had.

M - Bad. Watery, thin, barely carbonated, and a chemical bite at the end that makes me dread another sip.

D - If you hold your nose and pour it down your throat, you could drink the entire can. However, after about 2 sips, this is facing the high probability of a drain pour.

The message we can take from this beer relates to the Beer Wars movie. Caffeinated beer like this is terrible. AB didn't kill Moonshot. Moonshot killed Moonshot.

01-31-2010 03:26:16 | More by mwa423
puboflyons

New Hampshire

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

From the can 08276-VB74 and sampled on January 15, 2010. The pour is about the only decen thing about this. I mean it looks like a beer with its pale yellow tone, thin head, and hyperactive carbonation. But everything else beyond that is difficult to define. The aroma is like sniffing a raspberry wine cooler rather than a beer. The mouthfeel is thin. The taste is basically nothing but raspberry flavoring with maybe...and I mean maybe...a hint of hops. I expect this will result in one of the lowest ratings I have ever given on BA.

01-16-2010 00:56:44 | More by puboflyons
CampusCrew

2.33/5  rDev +22%

I reviewing this as an energy drink because that's what it is. It's a beer based concontion that does not taste liek beer at all. But for an energy drink it's not that bad given that fact that it has alcohol.

appearance: unbeerly. bubbly and soda-like

smell: not gettign anyhting there, maybe a little berry

taste: Very interesting. like berry beer taste, very little beer qualities. I would have never known beer was in it.

mouthfeel: super high carbonation

drinkability: I was pleasantly suprised. Not bad for a party is you want things to get rowdy.

05-30-2009 20:39:13 | More by CampusCrew
Beernoisseur

Utah

I walked into the old gas station in Blackfoot Idaho. Inside, I found exactly what I expected- little in the way of modernization. This included the woman behind the counter. "Maggie" had probably spent the majority of her life in this little pocket of civilization. She was incredibly nice to me, which I expected. Country folk usually are pleasant to passers-through. In hindsight, however, I suspect that there was a lot more going on behind Maggie's eyes when she saw me walk through her door that day. Were she truly possessed of a kind heart, she would have carried out our interactions in a professional manner and bid me on my way with a smile. In fact, what actually took place was not a great departure from that scenario, except for one major detail. Maggie, in her scheming, cold hearted ways, happened to mention that there was currently a sale on "bud extra" and suggested I try a can. At $0.79, what did I stand to lose?

Well, here I am with a half empty can and a half empty glass in front of me, and I can tell you that I have lost a lot more than $0.79. I feel like my soul has joined the ranks of those things "half empty." My pride and dignity as a human being dissipated faster than did the head of this so called "beer." I've seen sprite hold a head longer. Oh yeah, that's another thing. What the fuck is the name of this beverage? Bud Extra? B^e? B-to-the-e?

Seriously, "B" is only mediocre on its own. The last thing you ever need to do is raise it to the "e" power.

Anyhow, let's get on with it. As you may have noticed, a few lines above, I referred to this not as a beer, but as a beverage. Because it's not a beer. It's hardly even a drinkable substance. In fact, calling it a beverage is truly an insult and disservice to beverages everywhere. Perhaps "fluid" might be the proper term, but that may make this review even more awkward.

The appearance is the worst I have ever seen in a product made of malt and hops. Zero head, Zero retention (not that there was anything to retain). Seriously, if you put this side by side with a "Rockstar" I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. A beer should never-to-the-ever be so visibly similar to an energy drink as to make them indistinguishable in a side by side comparison. The fact that Anheuser-Busch has accomplished this is almost astonishing.

The smell. Ok, remember that I am reviewing what is, allegedly, a beer. This substance smells almost exactly like 75% of the energy drinks on the market. That in and of itself is not a horrible thing, but this is a BEER we're talking about here. I am starting to have a vision of a bunch of young corporate assholes, gathered around a board room table, making enthusiastic suggestions to the higher ups about how to snare a piece of the energy drink market by creating this abomination. A piece of advice, fellas: You make beer. You're not particularly great at doing that, but not particularly horrible either. Stick to the space you know. When I want a condom, I go with Trojan. When I want an energy drink, I go to Redbull. When I want a beer- I am choosy. You can be damn sure that if Budweiser ever starts making condoms, I'd buy a gun and some ammunition. The end of the world couldn't be that far off.

The taste. Oh Holy God, the taste. The flavor of this beverage could only be described as "transitional" as it starts out in the flavor oriented spitting image of Rockstar, but somewhere along the way it transforms into something of a beer-esque nature. The problem is that those two flavors are (and should be) a long way from each other. Let's make a comparison. Imagine that there is in all of us a "manual transmission of tastes and flavors" with many, many gears. The flavor of beer *should* be somewhere near the "overdrive" range and, that being the case, the flavor of most energy drinks should probably be assigned to the "reverse" region. Now, what Bud+E forces one's palate to do is this: Floor it in reverse for 15 seconds, then immediately slam it all the way to overdrive, and grind every goddamn gear on the way. I don't know where they get "raspberry" Maybe drop the "r" and change the "p" to an "s" and you've got a more appropriate description. I won't bother to describe the hop or malt characters beyond the flaccid point that there is little more than a suggestion that grains of any kind were used at SOME point during the production of this substance.

Needless, yes truly needless to say, the mouthfeel is zilch, and the drinkability is off the charts in a negative direction. If I could give this beer zeros or negatives in all categories, I would. I have never understood the people that have said that on here before. I understand you now, oh beer brethren.

I'm going to go have some Arrogant Bastard, and try to become human again.

03-09-2009 03:53:03 | More by Beernoisseur
BierFan

1.33/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear yellow body. Fluffy white head. Low level of carbonation.

Smell: Smells like a really sugary energy drink. No aroma of raspberries, and also no "beer" smell.

Taste: Wow. That's rather gross. Energy drink flavor up front. Finishes with a macro adjunct flavor. Only a hint of raspberry.

If you have to drink this one, drink it out of the can.

02-13-2009 21:11:41 | More by BierFan
hopdog

2.15/5  rDev +12.6%

Why the Hell did I buy this? I just flew into CA from PA, and stopped by the 7-11 on the way to the families house and this 'stood' out.

Poured a light yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Herbal/fruity taste and aroma. Sweet. Bizarre beer. More of an Energy Drink taste than a beer. Novelty beer at the most.

Notes from:

01-07-2009 22:51:14 | More by hopdog
kinger

I'm sorry but this just isn't beer, and it isn't good either. My uncle got me again on turkeyday this year. He has a knack for getting me to finish his bad choices. Long story short he bought a few of these a year ago choked down two and kept the last one. I drank half of the 16 oz can and dumped the rest. Talked my pops into trying it and I quote "I don't think I like that son" exactly, no redeeming qualities pure evil.

11-11-2008 02:58:41 | More by kinger
zeff80

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

First of all, it has a cool bottle and logo. Sadly, these are the best qualities.

It looks like a typical Budwieser; yellow and fizzy. The smell is beer-like and candy-like. Kind of reminded me of a Jolly Rancher. Very odd. It simply did not taste good. Really lacks any beer-like taste. All in all I would not recommend this. It just does not taste good.

11-10-2008 02:55:07 | More by zeff80
MTNboy

Germany

2.55/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- I think this is more energy drink than beer. It has an off yellow color and a lot of fizz but not much head.

Smell- As soon as I opened the can it has a strong energy drink smell if you get in really close you might smell something in the aroma that reminds you of beer.

Taste- It is very sweet and has a strong artificial fruit candy like flavor.

Mouthfeel- Fizzy with some burn.

Drinkability- I guess if you are in to the out all night thing this beer would be for you.

09-28-2008 12:38:48 | More by MTNboy
Hoagie1973

2.08/5  rDev +8.9%

If you're looking at reviews to find out what this tastes like, it's very simple. It's Budweiser with Red Bull in it. Simple as that. Same sugary sweet candy taste as Red Bull (reminiscent of Smarties or Sweet Tarts) with all the "goodness" of a Budweiser in the background. Same bitter aftertaste as Red Bull that lingers long after the fact. If you like both of those drinks separately, you may just enjoy this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

04-07-2008 14:36:15 | More by Hoagie1973
armock

2.55/5  rDev +33.5%

A - Poured a yellow color with a white head that quickly disappears

S - Wow thats bad sweet like a red bull and alcohol

T - Is way better than it looks and smells sweet like candy

M - Tis has medium carbonation to it

D - I guess if you like red bull and vodka this is the beer for you I myself don't even consider this a beer I can only wait for a beer that tastes like a jagerbomb now

01-13-2008 04:17:58 | More by armock
KodyBrannon

2.78/5  rDev +45.5%

Tried this one off of a whim. Was told this was a beer + energy drink combination. Sounds perfect if your a college kid on a binge drinking mission. It poured an applejuice color with a slight smell of red bull. The first taste was bitter, almost like liquid sweet tarts. the taste and the aroma if this beer, is hard to really stomach. I wouldn't pick this up agian in my opinion. But I am sure there are people who buy it religiously.

10-18-2007 15:36:38 | More by KodyBrannon
assmasterson

3.03/5  rDev +58.6%

Saw these at the grocery store, and since I've never had one before, I figured I would give it a try. Came in a pack of four.

A: Very, very light. Would be like apple juice if it was mixed with water. Honestly, if I hold the glass to the screen, I can read through it.

S: Not much at all, has a faint fruit smell, but that's it. No hops or anything here.

T: Not too bad. Starts out with a Bud Light flavor, and then is overpowered by a light taste of raspberry. Like others have said, it tastes a little like Red Bull, but I can taste the beer backing at first. Alcohol fades quickly to where there is nothing but fruit.

M: Extremely light. Juice is fuller and more substantial than this.

D: Very high, almost to the point of being an alternative to water. The can says 6.6% ABV, but you wouldn't know it.

Not a substitute for beer, nor something I would drink all the time, but is definitely something different. Fairly refreshing, probably pretty good for a hot day.

09-19-2007 00:30:36 | More by assmasterson