Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
Reviews by Phatz:
2.85/5  rDev +49.2%

This does not look, taste, smell, feel, or drink like beer. It is alcoholic Red Bull. If you LOVE Red Bull the way I do you will actually find this cheap-ass beverage to be palatable. It has a bit of juicyfruit and straight sugar taste. Comparing this to other beers in the style it is poor in ranking but thinking only of the moment, it was almost drinkable. I found it to be like drinking Red Bull and Bud.
Most people probably think that'll make them puke. But if you like energy drinks and pure sugar then fine give it a shot its quite unique.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Feb 14, 2006
1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Ok...so I found a single can of this at a convenience store on my way to work. I couldn't help but try it...paid $1.65 for the can. Pours from the can a dark clear electric yellow urine color with a foamy head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Can't say it looks all bad. Smell is really quite foul. A mix of grainy, bland Budweiser along with a big candy sweetness (Smarties!?!?). Some medicinal notes and maybe even some bubblegum. Smells like something a 6 year old Harry Potter fan would brew up....ugh.

First sip brings an odd artifical / medicinal candy, fruity sweetness along with a small malt base. The only thing seperating this from any mainstream energy drink is a slight grainy flavor and the fact that it contains alcohol. This is not beer and I don't even think it should really be listed on BA. For a beer it's utter shit. I give it an extra .5 only because the flavor is bearable.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin and quite sugary...tons of tiny carbonation. Just feels odd going down. Too damn sweet. This really is just plain worthless and it's sick to even call this beer. This just goes to show that AB doesn't really give a fuck about beer...all they give a damn about is making a quick buck off the latest trend. I can report that I do feel a bit jacked up...wonder how much caffeine is actually in here. When all is said and done....caffeine, guarana and ginseng have no place in a beer. I can only hope no one has serious health problems from mixing too much alcohol with all these stimulants. Yet another reason to loathe AB.

orbitalr0x, Mar 25, 2005

What to say about this?It's not really a "beer" in the strictest sence. It's honestly not much worse than red bull. I still perfer redbull and vodka, but this isnt much worse. I guess it's not bad if you want to be a wide awake drunk. I'm not a fan of most budweiser beers but i have to give them credit for this where it is due. It isnt that bad. It's no beer drinkers beer at all, do not mistake me, if i am in the mood for a tasty beer, you wont see this in my hand. A lot of people tend to get tired when they drink. You want a buzz but you dont want to be unconcious, it's an understandable occorance. beer and cofee? sorry doesent sound good, beer and soda(stick to captain/jack and coke), no, or beer with caffine, out of the other options it isnt the worst i can think of. While i will not defend this as a "beer" in the strickest sence, it is not that bad for what it is.

twi1609372, Mar 23, 2005

generallee, Feb 13, 2012
1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Presentation: 10 oz can with a “Born On Date” on the bottom of the can. Hmmm … speed and alcohol, not a good mix. $1.75 a pop or $5.50 a 4-pack … at least it is cheaper than Red Bull.

Appearance: A sparkling undesirable yellow color with a faint white lace.

Smell: Artificial candy sweetness with a faint medicinal quality, smell of chewable zinc lozenges.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Decent crispness over a light body that holds some unnatural dextrin in the mouth feel. Vague beer flavor, nasty herbal flavors flail around chaotically.

Drinkability & Notes: Why? You may as well drink Red Bull & Vodka … this stuff is horrific. I am waiting to hear of the first OD on this stuff …

Jason, Dec 02, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -12%

Found a single of this and my curiosity got the best of me. "Beer with caffeine, ginseng, guarana root, and natural flavors" according to the writing on the 10 oz can. OK. I've had beer with hemp, ginger, chili, assorted fruits, chocolate, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc., so I'll give this a try.
Pours clear, with a faintly pale yellow body. One finger white head lasts about 15 seconds and vanishes completely. No lace. There is barely any color in the body.
Aroma is similar to ginger ale, with some SweeTart candy notes.
Mouthfeel features tingly carbonation, with some cloying, artificial sugar tart fruitiness.
Taste has nothing akin to any style of beer. Sprite soda is close, but this reminds me of a regional soda from northeastern Tennessee, called DrEnuff. No hops, malts, or yeasts are noted.
This is not a beer. Not as gross as a Zima, and it goes down quickly. Had to chase this with a glass of water to prevent nausea. I won't be having this one again. Avoid!

merlin48, Apr 29, 2005
1.95/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a "beer" that literally made me sick to my stomach... A feeling that lasted for days after I had it. No need to drink in excess to have that happen here.

At first, it wasn't so bad. I don't mind the occasional energy drink so I thought the taste was unique and even sort of juicy. Even the smell was reminiscent of a juice or fruit drink. It went down fairly smoothly so I had two. Afterwards, the taste it left in my mouth was extremely unappealing.

Honestly, I didn't get any kind of energy jolt from it. I just got a strange feeling in my stomach! A friend who also had one reported similar feelings.

In sum, this did not taste like a beer, left an aftertaste that was less than desirable, did not produce the desired "energy" effect, and as an added bonus, left me feeling quite ill.

BlueHammer, Mar 10, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Good April Fools beer, I feel like a fool for trying this swill. Anyway, had to give it a try, 10 oz red can, pours very light and very clear, whiter then fresh snow white head, dissolves to leave a tiny bubble film and ,yes, it does leave a fair bit of fine lacing, go figure. Nose is sweet and candy like. Tase is nasty, sweet, sugary,, cardboard, spearmint, yuch yuch yuch. Sort of a mix of regular bud, gatoraide and babies fresh vomit...Stay away from this foul and nasty product.

Billolick, Apr 01, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Frighteningly pale, you move the glass around the background trying to see if the barely ginger ale appearance is real or not. Forced carbonation and a cheap detergent head. Small but fat dots for lace. Artificial orange aroma, not so good. Skeletal body, highly spritzy. With all the extracts and additives dumped into this, it mostly just tastes like fruit antacid tablets, "fruity" and tangy but completely indecipherable as to what the fruit really is. Dries with some odd burnt matches at the finish. I wonder if I could replicate this to a blindfolded person with fruit punch, seltzer water, and some cigarette butts. I tend to be friendly and rate macros as much for what they are as possible, but I can't go for this one at all.

ADR, Apr 10, 2005
1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Evidently somebody was trying to jump on the red bull energy with alcohol type of bandwagon, well I had to try it and give it a fair shake. Appears a lgiht pale golden tone very urine esque in appearance to be nice and PG I wil say apple juice with a white fizzy head dwindles oh so quickly. Aromatics are tart fruity green apple Jolly Rancher smell definitely a chick alco pop more than a beer smell to me. Flavor not very beer like a hint of corn and rice sweetness overpowered by tart citric fruity notes including cherry and green apple along with some Taurine??? Mouthfeel is light bodied mildly syurpy textured with bitey gag inducing carbonation. Drinkability, energy drink do you need some energy get a Red Bull or other widely available stimulant why mix your upper and the downer didn't health class tell us never to do this.

WVbeergeek, May 05, 2007

valkyre65, Dec 11, 2011

Now called "Bud Extra" the motto: "Beer with something different" yeah...right.

10 oz twist-off bottle with a "born" on date of 2/5/07

AP: This is the thinnest, palest "beer" I've ever seen, looks like anorexic ginger ale with less fizz. Very little carbonation fails to create a head at all and only makes a thin-white soda-like fizzy head. Looks like mildly fizzy apple juice.

nose: All I can smell is the "natural" raspberry additive and something rusty and metallic.

flavor: wow, this is really terrible. a highly sweet raspberry sweetness with crushed up tylenol-like bitterness that is most likely caused by the Guarana becuase most "Energy" drinks I've ever had that has it in it's ingredients has a similar effect. It really is an unlpeasant assualt on your taste buds because of the sweet n' Lo-like bitterness that made me cringe. There is no sign of real beer flavor here at all...This is a Frankenstien's monster, it's hard to beleive this got past the perverbial drawing board; so to speak.

Feel: mildly fizzy, dull and lifeless. This is a zombie. an un-godly creation.

DA: This travesty should be avoided.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 10, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +25.7%

A - Pale straw color with some slowly rising tiny bubbles topped by a thick and creamy two finger head. Some sea-foam lace sticks to the glass, and the head never dropped below a quarter inch cap in the ten minutes it took me to drink this. This looks far superior to regular Budweiser, and it's one of the best looking macro lagers that I've seen. Good head retention, clear with some nice color. Ain't bad lookin'.

S - Candy coated jolly-rancher sweetness is all I smell at first, no real beer like notes at all. Doesn't smell bad, it just smells artificial and not at all like beer made with beer ingredients. Candy fruity raspberry and maybe black cherry.

T - Just like the nose, the flavor is one dimensional and artificial. Wine cooler jolly rancher sugar coated nastiness. Tastes a lot like Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss or a wine cooler...so, of course my fiance loved this one. Candy, candy, candy. This is all apple Jolly Rancher.

M - This would be very thirst quenching if it weren't for the super sweet palate coating sugar.

D - It's not all bad as a beverage, but as a beer it's a joke. This is barely drinkable for me...I think I'll let my girl finish this one for me (since I usually finish her dinner for her it seems like a fair trade). Girls (sorry all you real beer girls...I love you, but most girls dig fruity malternatives) will love this.

This is not my style, and arguably not really a beer (at least in terms of taste), but this is head and shoulders above swill like Bacardi Raz or a wine cooler. Plus it has caffeine! This has all night pillow fight party written all over it.

pmcadamis, Jun 11, 2007
2.95/5  rDev +54.5%

I like it! Since there are no stylistic guidelines to compare it to, and not much in the way of comprable brands yet, this beer needs to be jusdged completely hedonistically. The appearance is surprisingly good with a head that holds better than Budweiser and leaves some very nice lacing about the glass! The very pale straw gold is reminiscent of white wine or apple cider; and its tiny effervescent bubbles rise in steadily rising flumes that give it a champagne-like appearance.... at least there's something to watch! The nose is fruity and candyish, similar to a sweet-tart or children's vitamin tablet - and the taste is the same! There is a little bit of a pear and apple-like flavor that's reminiscent of an English perry. No hops ever come into play; and this is more like a malternative or wine cooler than it is beer; but the aroma and the flavor are impeccably clean and it's clearly very well made. The body is light, bordering on medium; and it's effervescent carbonation gives the tongue a gentle zest. It's quite one-sided, however, and tends to leave a chalky feeling on your teeth and mouth, cutting down on its drinkability. As a novelty refresher, it's interesting and gets the job done. And it's certainly better tasting than Red Bull! As a "beer" it tanks, but I don't think you can really judge it as a beer. It's really something else altogether. Fans of cider and perry might like this one.

NeroFiddled, Nov 19, 2004
1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Wasn't sure what the proper vessel was in which to serve this beverage, so I just the 10oz can poured it in a rocks glass. Very clear golden color, remarkably like urine. A small, fizzy white head hangs around for about a minute before vanishing forever. Aroma is redolent of raspberries, with the specter of adjunct lager threatening in the back. Not bad, really. As for the taste - Ack! It's like someone poured a red bull (diet red bull, maybe) into a bud light. Fruity, perfumy raspberry and fruit overtones attempt to mask adjunct malt and crappy hops, but fail miserably. The fruit/perfume lingers and develops into a slightly bitter, unpleasant aftertaste. Thin, foamy mouthfeel. I have to say, though, it achieves its stated purpose. After only a few sips, I feel energized. Next time, though, I'll just drink a red bull.

ElGordo, Dec 12, 2004

This beer pours out of the can with a yellowish color and a minimal amount of foam that is bubbly and falls apart very quickly. Based on appearance alone, I would think I had just poured myself a bottle of Budweiser. The aroma of this beer is fruity, like a combination blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, and perhaps some strawberry. The body of the beer is thin, with flavors of light grain. But more than anything, this beer tastes like fruit- flavored candy. Herbs are present and so is caffeine, but you would never know based on the taste. There is a certain level of tartness, but the beer still remains sweet and slightly grainy.

Rootdog316, Aug 31, 2007

Clear. No animation. Pale yellow in hue, overall the appearance of the liquid is sickly and dull. The head was white in color; at the apex the foam was a very tightly compacted half finger in height. The head retention was poor as the foam dissipated quickly to a meaningless collar. I was expecting this beer to have some color depth. There wasn’t any. Nor was there any subsequent lacing. The nose smells like a diluted energy drink infused with a pale lager. It smells like malty candy, fruity (skittles?). The bouquet is odd, I like the smell of Red Bull but this doesn’t smell “true.” Plus there is a beery quality that doesn’t work. I don’t find it inviting but it is not completely repulsive either. I don’t have much faith in the taste after smell it. The first five or six sips (and I mean sips, I was too scared to put too much of the liquid in my mouth at once) weren’t bad. Hell, I thought I liked it! I drink Red Bull (minus the vodka) and I fully expected to like this wacky beer to be good. The fruitiness is tolerable like skittles or sweet tarts. I realize that is non-beer-like. The “caffeine, ginseng and guarana extract” vibe is interesting. Alcohol to slow me down…all that crap to speed me up! Yeah! What kills this beer for me is, well, the beer flavors. This is an AB product and I am sure there are adjuncts. Plus whatever brewing techniques they use failed to impress me; it doesn’t have a corn taste like Busch, maybe its rice like Budweiser. Maybe its all-malt! Ha-Ha! Whatever… this is a beer and for a beer the beer qualities are not enjoyable. I can sum up the taste like this: Think of a cheap energy drink diluted in day old beer. Yeah, it is that yummy. Light in body, the carbonation is weak and hardly noticeable; the mouthfeel is unimpressive unless you enjoy a watery sensation. I don’t. The aftertaste is brutal, it has a really potent “day old” beer taste, and the maltiness is long and polluted with sugary sweetness. This kills the beer for me. Thus drinkability is low. I can’t do this again. I honestly expected to like this beer. Once it started drinking it I realized it wasn’t that good after all. About halfway through I realized it is pretty damn bad. I’ve seen 4-packs of this around town but I passed. I purchased this 10-ounce can in a truck stop east of Des Moines, IA. I found it next to the energy drinks. That is a scary thought…

bditty187, Feb 18, 2005
1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Okay, my curiosity got the best of me tonight. This was the first time I saw this available in North Carolina (it can't be over 6.0% ABV, can it?). It is better than one of those Ginseng based caffeinated drink at least.

Is it beer? Not at all. Market it to the red bull and vodka crowd, change the color to purple and put in a bottle, and you may have a found a niche with the clubbing crowd. Smells of raspberry with a strong fruit taste. No mouthfeel to speak of.

At least is was only $1.29 for a can.

Backer2004, May 21, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -8.4%

ChrisL24481, Jul 16, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +97.9%

I remember when this came out. Always called this B to E. From what I remember this was a fruity drink. It was not bad. It is a shame that they don't brew it anymore. I kind of like it on a hot day. This was a Budweiser engery beer/ drink only came in 10oz cans.

nicholas2121, Feb 09, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a super light yellow color, almost clear, with 2 inches of thick fizzy white head. Lots of carbonation.

Smells very much like a glass of black cherry shasta.

Taste is slightly sweet with a hint of black cherry flavor, has a very soda pop like flavor that the smell had suggested. Still has the smallest amount of beer flavor. Overall just plain not good flavor, mixing soda and beer just isn't a good idea. The more of this I drink the less I like it.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

Overall jus plain bad, drinkability is terrible, the closer I get to the bottom of the glass the more I dread the next drink. I just don't see this stuff having a bright future. Even worse tasting than many of the other Flavored Malt Beverages out there.

bashiba, Jan 13, 2005

gunther1205, Dec 12, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

wilfonzo, Jun 12, 2013
2.13/5  rDev +11.5%

My goodness I was happy when I heard someone I knew found a stash of old sampler can and this was it. Poured from 6oz can...best by date of 6-14-06. Shared with SuperNova777 and VinnieVanGogh

A- Poured a funky looking energy drink yellow. Half finger white head pops up and dies just as quick. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- The smelled like stale raspberry and had this distinct wet grain mixed with energy drink scent as well. The alcohol wasn't really there in the ending like I thought it was going to be. To be honest I thought this was going to smell a lot worse than what it did. Just smelled stale and sweet overall with a hint of alcohol (which was sweet) in the ending.

T- Stale raspberry hits your palate first with a light wet grain flavor that get masked quickly by the raspberry flavor. Midway through you can taste what seems like a light Bud flavor which once again gets overtaken by that stale raspberry flavor. Sweet like energy drink flavor on the backend with a hint of sweet alcohol finished this bastard up.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was still good for I suppose this style was after all these years. Stale raspberry and energy drink flavor is all I could taste on the palate and long into the aftertaste with sweet alcohol as being in the aftertaste. Flavors were kind of a mess with this beer which I expected to be honest with not only the brewery but also the age. I can't say there were any off flavors because they all tasted like off flavors in this one. No alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This just tasted like an old energy drink to me. No real standout flavors which made me think beer at all. I wasn't impressed with this beer but then at the same time I wasn't not impressed...does that make sense??

alleykatking, May 09, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -45%

This "beer" looks like very light beer but other than that, it is not a great beverage. I'd rather have a Red Bull or AMP when I want an energy drink, and a beer (other than Bud, if it's on my dime) when I want a beer. I actually like that funky ginseng and guarana twang in an energy drink, but might it fare better in a bittersweet, thicker beer? Ther emight be hope yet for those herbal ingredients in a more robust base style.

OK, to keep this review legal, here are the vitals:
Color: very pale. Head/Carb: poor foam retention lower carbonation than regular Bud. Flavor: Red Bull type flavor. Mouthfeel: (See Budweiser) Finish: sickly, artificially sweet. Ewww.

EagleTalon, Sep 07, 2005