2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Bud ExtraBud Extra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 119 | Show All Ratings:
Drik

4.83/5  rDev +152.9%

It was one of the best beers I've ever tasted, it smelled good and it to affect after about 4 bottles. I think stores should start selling them again, with the same price.
Its nothing negative about this beer. I love the raspberry taste, the energy drink mixed in beer was great.

07-07-2012 17:37:32 | More by Drik
odwyerclan

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +108.4%

The only reason I loved & still love this cute little beer was because of it's uncanny ability to accompany summer-time 'get-togethers' of all shapes & sizes and the ever resultant broken property this beer seemed to always make sure of. Clearly, this is not a beer snobs beer. It was not a mythical creation discovered on the 1,000th attempt of some poor bastards accidental recipe, nor was it the product of love, hard work, dedication or the culmination of expertise. This beer was the product of a corporate knee-jerk reaction towards a seemingly ancient marketing strategy that somehow went right. This beer has a following that might rival Surge soda... so those of us who love it are all either Juggalos in denial, caffeine crazy pre-teens pretending to be beer lovers, or simply liked the stuff. Too bad its gone. But, oh well.

02-20-2014 22:41:07 | More by odwyerclan
PopeDX

3.85/5  rDev +101.6%

Bah, this is a "it gets slagged too much, so I'm reviewing it" review. I've said it before, and I'll say it a million other times:

It ain't beer, but for what it is, it ain't bad.

If you consider it's targeted for your average clubbing Red Bull and vodka drinker and not your average Dark Lord swiller, one almost has to give credit to AB for taking market share from liquor and putting it in beer.

It's a sweet, fruity, fizzy drink, obviously much closer to soda than beer. Goes down real easily, except it started getting to me a little bit by the end of the can. In the appropriate circumstance I'd easily knock a few of these back. Just not when I want a beer.

06-27-2005 16:46:13 | More by PopeDX
nicholas2121

3.73/5  rDev +95.3%

I remember when this came out. Always called this B to E. From what I remember this was a fruity drink. It was not bad. It is a shame that they don't brew it anymore. I kind of like it on a hot day. This was a Budweiser engery beer/ drink only came in 10oz cans.

02-09-2014 21:57:58 | More by nicholas2121
WesWes

3.7/5  rDev +93.7%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent with a tart herbal aroma. It smells like a Zima. The taste is good. It has a light pale malt flavor with a tart herbal finish. It's smooth and refreshing; not much different from most energy drinks. I could drink this more than regular Bud. It does leave a slight lager mustiness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is something new. I'm not going crazy for it, but I would drink this again if I needed a boost.

10-16-2005 00:24:38 | More by WesWes
mentor

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev +92.7%

Okay, let's do this and be done with it. I'm reviewing this because I was surprisingly impressed with a bottle of Michelob this past weekend (I gave it a 2.95).

10 oz can obtained from a gas station as a 'spur of the moment' purchase. Born on date reads 11Feb05 HC70.

Pours a fluffy white one-finger head over a crystal clear and very bleached out pale liquid. Smells candy sweet during the pour. Upon closer inspection, it smells like diluted Hi-C tropical fruit juice. Nothing else can penetrate the fruit upon further attempts. Tastes like it smells. Raspberries predominate and lend a sour tinge to the aftertaste that mixes pretty well with the fine carbonation that continues to seed off my tastebuds long after the 'beer' has been swallowed. Also has a subtle citrusy character, like the flavor you get when chewing on an orange vitamin C tablet. This 'beer' is very wet sweet, but not quite so sweet as tropical fruit juice. I guess this is best described as a raspberry wine cooler with a supporting orange background. About as one-dimenstional as it gets, but actually and enjoyable beverage. Medium-light body and mildy carbonated.

This is a refreshing fruity drink. I can honestly say that this is something I could enjoy on a hot summer afternoon after cutting the lawn. Two would be too sweet, but one might be nice. Although the head settled rather quickly, there is a fair amount of lacing on the inside of my glass. Look out Boone's Farm, this is sure to be a hit with the sophomore sorority crowd. Go get 'em AB!

05-31-2005 04:54:49 | More by mentor
jasonjlewis

3.68/5  rDev +92.7%

tastes just like a red bull or something. I am used to those because I drink them to stay alert on long trips. If you can stand or like energy drinks like red bull, than this for you. Has a fruity red bullish smell and flavor. I finished mine pretty fast. It wasn't as bad as everyone said it was going to be.

01-15-2007 05:31:25 | More by jasonjlewis
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev +85.9%

B^E pours an extremely pale, watery yellow, capped by a big, fluffy head--rather incongruous when you sniff it and get an intense hit of berries; most berry beers are the color of berries, but not this one. The berry nose is rather grossly sweet, the Kiddie Cocktail version of fruit. The taste, though, is surprisingly...beery. I opened my little ten-ounce bottle figuring that this was going to be well nigh undrinkable, but after the initial berry assault, there's a definite, slightly toasted malt flavor. To be honest, it shocked me how palatable B^E was. I'm still shaking my head. One was definitely enough, and I'm feeling no energy boost, but still...

10-20-2005 23:44:10 | More by battlekow
RushLimbmalt

3.45/5  rDev +80.6%

Pours a pale yellow color and has a decent head for a Anheuser-Busch beer. The aroma is hardcore fruity and a touch beer hidden in there. The flavor is very fruity, but not obscene like a Leinie's Berryweiss, and very much like tart raspberries. I love raspberries, so I have to admit I am a bit smitten. I was skeptical at first, but it turns out to not be too bad at all, if a bit gimmicky. Where this beer truly lacks is it's drinkability. Besides a gut ache and overdose on the supplements, it is a tad too sweet for any kind of extended drinking session.

02-19-2005 09:11:25 | More by RushLimbmalt
ragerx

Alaska

3.4/5  rDev +78%

I started drinking this at my local bar around 5:30-6 pm because it went on sale for $2.00 a can cuz the owner couldnt move it at a higher price. After about 10-12 of them (cant quite remember) and a few hours later, I was well buzzed. I went home and putzed around for awhile before hitting the sack around 11:30 pm. I awoke at 2:30 am wide awake, less buzzed than before. I could not go to sleep to save my life and felt like I had drank 30 cups of coffee. 2 1/2 hours later i was still wide awake. The moral of this story is dont drink this stuff if your expecting to just pass out after getting bombed , cuz you will just wake up soon after thinking you had passed out!

03-25-2005 14:34:33 | More by ragerx
Bighuge

3.1/5  rDev +62.3%

6.6% a/v?? From Anheuser Busch?? Hmmm

Crystal clear, white grape juice appearance. One finger sized white head. Great retention. Nice sweet and spicy aroma. And definitely fruity as well. Almost like smelling a handfull of sweet tarts. This is really an interesting little experiment. It doesn't taste like beer to me, but neither does mead, cider, braggot, etc.... It does taste good however. I'm reminded again of sweet tarts. Zesty fruit tones come along. Got a little bit of ascorbic acid residue on the tongue after the swallow. The body is light-medium. And the carbonation is on the low side of the spectrum. This is not bad. I'm glad to have tried at least one of these. But I do prefer my beer without caffeine and other stimulants. Fuck, I've had 5 of these bitches and now feel like going up and down my street shoveling out every damn driveway in the neighborhood.

02-28-2005 03:37:25 | More by Bighuge
longarm

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev +59.7%

What?? Is this beer? It's hard to define this along standard style characteristics of beer, but here goes.

Appearance is typically light lager-esque. Nothing particularly interesting or detracting.

Aroma is lightly sweet, resembling cough syrup. It's medicine-like but not in a detracting way.

The flavor is dominated by some sweetness, perhaps also a little medicine-like, but not bad. I can imagine this being especially good on an extremely hot day. It's quite refreshing.

Surprisingly this beer is quite drinkable. Overall it has very little in common with most beers, but it's not bad. If A-B is going to introduce a new drink to the market, I would rather have something entirely different like this, than another tweak on the basic Bud recipe or another adjunct lager.

03-25-2005 01:51:38 | More by longarm
tgbljb

3.05/5  rDev +59.7%

poured a pale yellow color, almost like apple juice. No head to be found, and swirling can't raise one. Smell is very fruity (raspberries), and while pleasant, it is a bit overstated. Taste follows through with the fruitiness, very similiar, if not identical, to a beer or wine cooler. Finish is more fruit, more sweetness. While enjoyable, I think this should fall under the category of malternatives. Just my opinion.

11-27-2005 20:41:17 | More by tgbljb
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.03/5  rDev +58.6%

Very interesting brew. Had this one at a biker/hard rock bar in Hotlanta. It was given to me for free, so I liked the price. Had a fruity smell, with a kind of flat beer smell infused. Something totally original, so I give it a 3.5. The taste was just as if someone put Red Bull in a beer. Not a good beer, but something like Bud. Though Bud usually has a hoppier taste than it's meglobrew cohorts, it was weakend a bit by the energy drink. I don't think I could drink a whole 6er of it, but I might try it again.

12-06-2004 02:16:22 | More by JISurfer
assmasterson

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev +58.6%

Saw these at the grocery store, and since I've never had one before, I figured I would give it a try. Came in a pack of four.

A: Very, very light. Would be like apple juice if it was mixed with water. Honestly, if I hold the glass to the screen, I can read through it.

S: Not much at all, has a faint fruit smell, but that's it. No hops or anything here.

T: Not too bad. Starts out with a Bud Light flavor, and then is overpowered by a light taste of raspberry. Like others have said, it tastes a little like Red Bull, but I can taste the beer backing at first. Alcohol fades quickly to where there is nothing but fruit.

M: Extremely light. Juice is fuller and more substantial than this.

D: Very high, almost to the point of being an alternative to water. The can says 6.6% ABV, but you wouldn't know it.

Not a substitute for beer, nor something I would drink all the time, but is definitely something different. Fairly refreshing, probably pretty good for a hot day.

09-19-2007 00:30:36 | More by assmasterson
twi1609372

What to say about this?It's not really a "beer" in the strictest sence. It's honestly not much worse than red bull. I still perfer redbull and vodka, but this isnt much worse. I guess it's not bad if you want to be a wide awake drunk. I'm not a fan of most budweiser beers but i have to give them credit for this where it is due. It isnt that bad. It's no beer drinkers beer at all, do not mistake me, if i am in the mood for a tasty beer, you wont see this in my hand. A lot of people tend to get tired when they drink. You want a buzz but you dont want to be unconcious, it's an understandable occorance. beer and cofee? sorry doesent sound good, beer and soda(stick to captain/jack and coke), no, or beer with caffine, out of the other options it isnt the worst i can think of. While i will not defend this as a "beer" in the strickest sence, it is not that bad for what it is.

03-23-2005 04:20:04 | More by twi1609372
NeroFiddled

2.95/5  rDev +54.5%

I like it! Since there are no stylistic guidelines to compare it to, and not much in the way of comprable brands yet, this beer needs to be jusdged completely hedonistically. The appearance is surprisingly good with a head that holds better than Budweiser and leaves some very nice lacing about the glass! The very pale straw gold is reminiscent of white wine or apple cider; and its tiny effervescent bubbles rise in steadily rising flumes that give it a champagne-like appearance.... at least there's something to watch! The nose is fruity and candyish, similar to a sweet-tart or children's vitamin tablet - and the taste is the same! There is a little bit of a pear and apple-like flavor that's reminiscent of an English perry. No hops ever come into play; and this is more like a malternative or wine cooler than it is beer; but the aroma and the flavor are impeccably clean and it's clearly very well made. The body is light, bordering on medium; and it's effervescent carbonation gives the tongue a gentle zest. It's quite one-sided, however, and tends to leave a chalky feeling on your teeth and mouth, cutting down on its drinkability. As a novelty refresher, it's interesting and gets the job done. And it's certainly better tasting than Red Bull! As a "beer" it tanks, but I don't think you can really judge it as a beer. It's really something else altogether. Fans of cider and perry might like this one.

11-19-2004 22:08:24 | More by NeroFiddled
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Strange brew indeed. Sorta cidery, reisling, mead like. In appearance, it's bubbly with a nice head. Aromas are tart and herbal. Mildly sweet and tart. Flavors of cider, white wine, and fruits of peaches, pears, and apples. Not as grainy as you'd think. Mildly tart and sour. Spicy and herbal like a ginsing tea. Light body that remains carbonated. Finishes mildly alcoholic and dry. It tastes vaguely of beer. Maybe a biend of a beer and chardonay.

08-11-2005 21:17:52 | More by BEERchitect
francisweizen

Arizona

2.9/5  rDev +51.8%

Interesting stuff, this. Nearly clear in colour with a nasty fizz to it. Drink it from the can. Smells of flinstones chewable fruit flavored vitamins, seltzer water, muichelob ultra, and funky cider/perry. Odd. Taste si weird. slighlty beery, light and fruity with some weird funky cider/perry tones as well. Mouthfeel is light, but lends to this stuffs great drinkability. A 4 pack can be downed in ease, but why would you want to. This may be better than Sparks, but who cares! My curiosity got the best of me again. Still it may be AB's best product!

04-14-2005 16:03:50 | More by francisweizen
Domingo

Colorado

2.88/5  rDev +50.8%

Not terrible as long as you don't judge it as a beer! It essentially looks and tastes like Red Bull, but has a beer mouthfeel and head. As a beer it's horrible, but as an energy drink it's average.
If you're really interested in something like this, there are better options, though.
It's really tough to judge this as a beer simply because it really doesn't seem anything like one.

05-17-2005 22:27:39 | More by Domingo
Reidrover

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev +49.2%

Ok ,I just had to review this,seen it for weeks, but I fell for it tonight.
Tiny wee can 10 ozs.
The appearance actuallyisnt as bad as regular Bud, the head is better looking .
Very fruity,candyish aroma..some beer in the back ground,but not unpleasant at all.
Taste again is quite fruity, and tastes a little like Beer with "lemonade" in it,small bitterness in the back.
Mouthfeel is ok, nothing bad.
I found this quite drinkable ,after a hard long day at work.
Avctually not too bad at all.I was expecting much worse.

02-18-2005 02:24:01 | More by Reidrover
Gagnonsux

2.85/5  rDev +49.2%

The color is a shiny pale yellow with a fairly high level of carbonation. Head is small and foamy. The aroma has an sweet, artificial fruity smell that doesn't really compare to anything that I've had before. The taste has more of the same, an odd artificial fruity flavor that is sweet, but has an edge of tartness. I think I may have also noticed a trace of grainy beer flavor in the finish. After trying this, I don't consider it a beer, however for a malt beverage I found it pretty tasty. It sure beats a wine cooler. Just don't expect beer.

12-03-2005 14:31:38 | More by Gagnonsux
Phatz

2.85/5  rDev +49.2%

This does not look, taste, smell, feel, or drink like beer. It is alcoholic Red Bull. If you LOVE Red Bull the way I do you will actually find this cheap-ass beverage to be palatable. It has a bit of juicyfruit and straight sugar taste. Comparing this to other beers in the style it is poor in ranking but thinking only of the moment, it was almost drinkable. I found it to be like drinking Red Bull and Bud.
Most people probably think that'll make them puke. But if you like energy drinks and pure sugar then fine give it a shot its quite unique.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-14-2006 09:19:48 | More by Phatz
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev +46.6%

With my love of Bud I just had to try this one. Poured a very pale yellow color. Nowhere near the bright "gold" I associate with regular Bud. While there was a decent "pfthh" from the can it appears very flat with little carbonation present. The aroma is actually quite nice-like your average micro fruit beer. I cant pinpoint what fruit but its almost a kiwi or some type of berry. The taste is ok-not bad or good. Its almost like a tangy wine cooler-not as sweet. Theres no real body to speak of. I think Ive had water with more body then this. Overall not really as bad as I thought it would be. I had visions of dumping it after 2 sips. I could see it being trendy with the wine cooler crowd ie women. The 6.6% might catch up on you. Not my thing but I cant trash it. I will be clensing my palate with a Murphys however!!!

04-08-2005 21:46:17 | More by lackenhauser
KodyBrannon

2.78/5  rDev +45.5%

Tried this one off of a whim. Was told this was a beer + energy drink combination. Sounds perfect if your a college kid on a binge drinking mission. It poured an applejuice color with a slight smell of red bull. The first taste was bitter, almost like liquid sweet tarts. the taste and the aroma if this beer, is hard to really stomach. I wouldn't pick this up agian in my opinion. But I am sure there are people who buy it religiously.

10-18-2007 15:36:38 | More by KodyBrannon