2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Bud ExtraBud Extra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 119 | Show All Ratings:
Dukeofearl

Alright, I've read about this on BA and a few other web sites in the months since it came out, and I never thought I would review it. But I was in a local liquor store tonight, just checking out the selection, when I saw that they had singles of this 10 ounce wonder available, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to see what it's all about.

Pours a very pale yellow, lite beer pale yellow, with only a small white head of large bubbles after an aggressive pour. This unattractive head on an unattractive beer quickly dropped to nothing. Almost no carbonation- looked flat at first, after a few minutes, a small number of bubbles start popping up (did I use it all up in the pour?).

Aroma- it's easier to say what it doesn't have, than what it does have. No "beer" aroma at all. No hops, no malt, no grain, no yeast. What does it have? Sweet artificial fruit soda like flavor- very similar to the RedBull/RockStar energy drink suite of beverages. But even that's pretty thin.

Flavor- SweetTart-like, fruit (berry), artificial. Where's the beer? These are not beer flavors. At all. Sweet, in the worst possible way. I can't finish this. I think this is my very first score of 1. It's awful. What else can I say?

EDIT (a couple hours later): I didn't finish this "beer", but for some odd reason, I drank most of it before pouring the remainder out. I did this just before planning to go to bed. Two hours later, I'm still wide awake... be afraid, be very very afraid... (or be happy, be very very happy, depending on your goals....)

03-24-2005 05:56:43 | More by Dukeofearl
RocketWidget

As I start this review, let me just say this – I am not an impartial reviewer. This B-to-the-E, to me, represents all that is evil in the brewing industry, the American public’s perception of beer, and general alcohol drinking philosophy, and this beer is probably the private wet dream of the marketing executives at Anheuser-Busch. Of course, I HAD to review it :-)

That said, this is one of the most disgusting beers I’ve ever tasted (And no, I have not yet had the pleasure of Crazy Ed’s Cave Creek Chili Beer). Pours a piss yellow color. Almost no carbonation and no head at all. Smells like sugar substitute. Tastes like Red Bull. No joke. Since Red Bull itself is stupid, unless you think you are trendy or you like caffeine buzzes or something, why the hell would ANYONE want their beer to taste like Red Bull? Truly vile.

03-26-2005 23:55:27 | More by RocketWidget
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

Now called "Bud Extra" the motto: "Beer with something different" yeah...right.

10 oz twist-off bottle with a "born" on date of 2/5/07

AP: This is the thinnest, palest "beer" I've ever seen, looks like anorexic ginger ale with less fizz. Very little carbonation fails to create a head at all and only makes a thin-white soda-like fizzy head. Looks like mildly fizzy apple juice.

nose: All I can smell is the "natural" raspberry additive and something rusty and metallic.

flavor: wow, this is really terrible. a highly sweet raspberry sweetness with crushed up tylenol-like bitterness that is most likely caused by the Guarana becuase most "Energy" drinks I've ever had that has it in it's ingredients has a similar effect. It really is an unlpeasant assualt on your taste buds because of the sweet n' Lo-like bitterness that made me cringe. There is no sign of real beer flavor here at all...This is a Frankenstien's monster, it's hard to beleive this got past the perverbial drawing board; so to speak.

Feel: mildly fizzy, dull and lifeless. This is a zombie. an un-godly creation.

DA: This travesty should be avoided.

05-10-2007 04:07:18 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
kinger

I'm sorry but this just isn't beer, and it isn't good either. My uncle got me again on turkeyday this year. He has a knack for getting me to finish his bad choices. Long story short he bought a few of these a year ago choked down two and kept the last one. I drank half of the 16 oz can and dumped the rest. Talked my pops into trying it and I quote "I don't think I like that son" exactly, no redeeming qualities pure evil.

11-11-2008 02:58:41 | More by kinger
Beernoisseur

Utah

I walked into the old gas station in Blackfoot Idaho. Inside, I found exactly what I expected- little in the way of modernization. This included the woman behind the counter. "Maggie" had probably spent the majority of her life in this little pocket of civilization. She was incredibly nice to me, which I expected. Country folk usually are pleasant to passers-through. In hindsight, however, I suspect that there was a lot more going on behind Maggie's eyes when she saw me walk through her door that day. Were she truly possessed of a kind heart, she would have carried out our interactions in a professional manner and bid me on my way with a smile. In fact, what actually took place was not a great departure from that scenario, except for one major detail. Maggie, in her scheming, cold hearted ways, happened to mention that there was currently a sale on "bud extra" and suggested I try a can. At $0.79, what did I stand to lose?

Well, here I am with a half empty can and a half empty glass in front of me, and I can tell you that I have lost a lot more than $0.79. I feel like my soul has joined the ranks of those things "half empty." My pride and dignity as a human being dissipated faster than did the head of this so called "beer." I've seen sprite hold a head longer. Oh yeah, that's another thing. What the fuck is the name of this beverage? Bud Extra? B^e? B-to-the-e?

Seriously, "B" is only mediocre on its own. The last thing you ever need to do is raise it to the "e" power.

Anyhow, let's get on with it. As you may have noticed, a few lines above, I referred to this not as a beer, but as a beverage. Because it's not a beer. It's hardly even a drinkable substance. In fact, calling it a beverage is truly an insult and disservice to beverages everywhere. Perhaps "fluid" might be the proper term, but that may make this review even more awkward.

The appearance is the worst I have ever seen in a product made of malt and hops. Zero head, Zero retention (not that there was anything to retain). Seriously, if you put this side by side with a "Rockstar" I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. A beer should never-to-the-ever be so visibly similar to an energy drink as to make them indistinguishable in a side by side comparison. The fact that Anheuser-Busch has accomplished this is almost astonishing.

The smell. Ok, remember that I am reviewing what is, allegedly, a beer. This substance smells almost exactly like 75% of the energy drinks on the market. That in and of itself is not a horrible thing, but this is a BEER we're talking about here. I am starting to have a vision of a bunch of young corporate assholes, gathered around a board room table, making enthusiastic suggestions to the higher ups about how to snare a piece of the energy drink market by creating this abomination. A piece of advice, fellas: You make beer. You're not particularly great at doing that, but not particularly horrible either. Stick to the space you know. When I want a condom, I go with Trojan. When I want an energy drink, I go to Redbull. When I want a beer- I am choosy. You can be damn sure that if Budweiser ever starts making condoms, I'd buy a gun and some ammunition. The end of the world couldn't be that far off.

The taste. Oh Holy God, the taste. The flavor of this beverage could only be described as "transitional" as it starts out in the flavor oriented spitting image of Rockstar, but somewhere along the way it transforms into something of a beer-esque nature. The problem is that those two flavors are (and should be) a long way from each other. Let's make a comparison. Imagine that there is in all of us a "manual transmission of tastes and flavors" with many, many gears. The flavor of beer *should* be somewhere near the "overdrive" range and, that being the case, the flavor of most energy drinks should probably be assigned to the "reverse" region. Now, what Bud+E forces one's palate to do is this: Floor it in reverse for 15 seconds, then immediately slam it all the way to overdrive, and grind every goddamn gear on the way. I don't know where they get "raspberry" Maybe drop the "r" and change the "p" to an "s" and you've got a more appropriate description. I won't bother to describe the hop or malt characters beyond the flaccid point that there is little more than a suggestion that grains of any kind were used at SOME point during the production of this substance.

Needless, yes truly needless to say, the mouthfeel is zilch, and the drinkability is off the charts in a negative direction. If I could give this beer zeros or negatives in all categories, I would. I have never understood the people that have said that on here before. I understand you now, oh beer brethren.

I'm going to go have some Arrogant Bastard, and try to become human again.

03-09-2009 03:53:03 | More by Beernoisseur
KoG

Nevada

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Spare yourself the chance to smell and taste musty juice poured in beer. Imagine soaking a gymsock in fruit punch... thats about it.

Yellow color, seen this same color in my bathroom before.

Smell is musty and fruity. Just love the scurvy.

Taste... hrmmm... Bud with fruity stuff.

GAH!! Horrible stuff!!!

02-05-2005 09:38:27 | More by KoG
amicar

Missouri

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Again. I want to point out that I tried this out of morbid curiosity when a friend who works for AB gave me a free sample can

Hmm... looks like light yellow macro brew with a slight white head that vanishes quickly.

The smell? Well, I'm glad AB identified that we were clamoring for a robitussin scented beer.

Taste- well, fruity....
...
...
Oh cr-p. I cant keep this up. I can't review this. I'm sorry. There's no way to be constructive. This is truly awful. I mean, I'm going to look for anything I can too wash this taste away. I'm sorry I'm not giving a "constructive criticism" type review... I just cant....

04-30-2005 01:34:42 | More by amicar
Bumpon10s

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Apperance: The oddest color I've seen for a beer, is it green? Is it orange? I'm not really to sure.

Smell: Just like a Red Bull with a detectable alcohol smell.

Taste: It is very much simply mixing a Budweiser ICE and a Red Bull, and to tell the truth I don't like either.

Mouthfeel: This beer hurt, it actually caused pain to my mouth. So far the first and only beer I can say that of.

Drinkability: One is all you'll be able to handle. I shared this with a group of friend's, and I was the only one able to finish it, it is not worth tasting again.

I remember anticpating this beer before it came out thinking it may prove to be interesting. It was, but not in a good way. I don't bark on most beers, but single handedly the worst "beer" to ever cross my mouth. The redeeming factor being in that it gets you "drunk". I've never considered a beer a tool to be intoxicated, but some do, and for them this would be up their alley.

09-03-2005 01:13:22 | More by Bumpon10s
EagleTalon

Arkansas

1.05/5  rDev -45%

This "beer" looks like very light beer but other than that, it is not a great beverage. I'd rather have a Red Bull or AMP when I want an energy drink, and a beer (other than Bud, if it's on my dime) when I want a beer. I actually like that funky ginseng and guarana twang in an energy drink, but might it fare better in a bittersweet, thicker beer? Ther emight be hope yet for those herbal ingredients in a more robust base style.

OK, to keep this review legal, here are the vitals:
Color: very pale. Head/Carb: poor foam retention lower carbonation than regular Bud. Flavor: Red Bull type flavor. Mouthfeel: (See Budweiser) Finish: sickly, artificially sweet. Ewww.

09-07-2005 01:28:58 | More by EagleTalon
BlueShirtMember

1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

I found this at a gas station late one night while doing some quick shopping. It was in one of those suctioned racks on the inside of the cooler door, and was sold in individual 10oz cans.

B-E is one in a seemingly long line of new beers that are trying to reach new markets by including an "upper" such as caffeine into their brew. In this case, it goes a step beyond, incorporating not just caffeine, but also ginseng and guarana, two herbs commonly found in all canned energy drinks.

Imagine mixing equal parts Bud, Red Bull, and garbage water, and you'll get both the taste and smell of this "beer." To be a bit more descriptive, it tastes like someone mixed Bud with a generic and cheap (think cheaper than that Hansen's crap) energy drink. You can literally taste both flavors seperately with no blending whatsoever.

The predominant "tart" flavor that A-B claims harkens to blackberry, raspberry and cherry, comes from guarana. Guarana is a Brazilian berry that acts much like caffeine (although without that shaky feeling caffeine gives) and has a strong flavor similar to generic red soda (red pop). You may've tried it once in a failed Pepsi product called Josta.

Had they eliminated this one very strongly flavored ingredient, I think it would be a lot more passable as a beer. Ginseng doesn't have a strong flavor (or any flavor as far as I know), and would've meshed with the beer enough to give you a beer taste.

Mouthfeel is harsh. It felt like it had a greater degree of carbonation than beer or even your typical soda.

Smell wise it smelled like both Red Bull and Bud mixed into a can.

If you like Budweiser and you like Red Bull energy drink, then you may like this beer. I am OK with Bud and I use Red Bull when I need it, but I don't like this beer.

I'd like to be more constructive, but I can't. This is an expirament at marketing, and it is a poor one. I cannot recommend it whatsoever.

09-28-2005 13:27:00 | More by BlueShirtMember
Drew966

1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

Purchased this in a ten ounce can. This beer pours a yellow color. It has a strong floral smell and a sweet taste. I really don't care for this beer, I am having a difficult time getting through the entire ten ounce can. It's way too sweet for my taste. I would not buy this again and would not recommend it. B to the Nasty would be more like it.

01-24-2006 01:56:19 | More by Drew966
santoslhalper

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

What? This is beer? My neighbor picked some up and I thought I'd give it a shot. It doesn't look, smell, taste or feel anything like beer. And it seems like beer with caffeine is not wise... "Here drink this you'll stay up drinking till you die!" Anyways had a strong red bull taste, almost fruity, but tasted mainly like a baby diaper. This is garbage.

12-19-2004 16:53:54 | More by santoslhalper
TastyTaste

1.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured a very light straw color, with a big head that seems to be tinted pink. Smells like red bull mixed with 40, smells quite interesting. Taste is sweet and fruity, with a macro graininess trailing. Taste gets pretty annoyng after a while, one of the sweetest "beers" I have tried. At 6.6% I could see this stuff ending nights at 5:30 in the morning, naked, in detox.

P.S. After drinking the rest of this can of crap, I have taken it's scores down all around. A punishment to take a sip, this should be avoided.

01-29-2005 21:38:24 | More by TastyTaste
shirfan

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I was given a can of this to review, and it does say "beer" on the label, so here goes...

Pale yellow with no head.

Smells like Flintstones chewable vitamins and sweet tarts.

Taste: If only there was a 0.0 ranking. An unpleasant sour cabbage flavor lies in wait under a chemical candy shell. Imagine a sauerkraut flavored cough drop, and you'd be somewhere close.

Watery mouthfeel, completely undrinkable. Red Bull has nothing to fear from this "beer". I give it 4 months to be off the shelves entirely, a flop more monsterous than clear cola.

03-10-2005 19:52:05 | More by shirfan
Billolick

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Good April Fools beer, I feel like a fool for trying this swill. Anyway, had to give it a try, 10 oz red can, pours very light and very clear, whiter then fresh snow white head, dissolves to leave a tiny bubble film and ,yes, it does leave a fair bit of fine lacing, go figure. Nose is sweet and candy like. Tase is nasty, sweet, sugary,, cardboard, spearmint, yuch yuch yuch. Sort of a mix of regular bud, gatoraide and babies fresh vomit...Stay away from this foul and nasty product.

04-01-2005 02:34:54 | More by Billolick
MuddyFeet

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I don't think it can get worse than this beer. Packy was having a $1/can special and picked it up out of odd curiousity. Poured sickly yellow-tinged green. The smell isn't as bad as possible, only because it is sweet smelling, but nothing like a beer. The Where's the malts and hops? The flavor is merely sweet tarts. Mouthfeel is at least crispish (a stretch, starting to feel bad and look for any positive). Drinkability. Nada. Sorry. I wince every time I pick up the glass.

04-30-2005 22:08:52 | More by MuddyFeet
packetknife

Idaho

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I guess you're either a Red Bull or SoBE No Fear type of person or you're not. I'm not. I can't describe this beer other than saying it's like somebody took Budweiser and mixed in a few packets of Splenda and a service of Red Bull. It's truly a hideous thing to do to a beer and if you're in need of an upper, don't drink beer in the first place. This is just wrong and I really detest it.

The mouthfeel was ~sticket~, residual.. but nothing I haven't experienced with other beers. And it looks like a pretty average light beer. Otherwise it's flat-out disgusting.

06-11-2005 01:47:50 | More by packetknife
PhageLab

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pale clear coloration, small bit of froth that dissipated nearly instantaneously. No lacing.

S - Smells odd, I can't place my finger on what this is, but it reminds me of a fruit rollup.

T - Mother of God this is offensive. Cranberry juice? I'm not sure, but it tastes like a light lager with fruit juice and battery acid mixed together.

M - Sharp carbonation and a light body. If not for the horrible aftertaste I'd say it was pleasantly crisp. Yet again, the flavor ruins the feel.

D - No, simply no.

01-07-2011 17:22:23 | More by PhageLab
jasonpeckins32

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

I like to call it "Waste of Time in a Can", brought to you by Budweiser.... C'mon Bud, you guys should be way better than this. I am not at all impressed by this "Beer with something Extra". It poured a bright straw yellow and looked like ALL energy drink and NO beer. Smells like a box of sour patch kids, that tangy chewy candy that nobody likes. This drink tastes nothing like beer, how it is considered a beer I have no idea. Its a little fizzy going down, and leaves an aftertaste that reminds me of chewable vitamins.

Nothing special here, not even worth a try, especially for $3 a can. I'm not even sure if I'd buy it if it were 3 for a dollar at the party store. Gross.

02-08-2005 04:16:30 | More by jasonpeckins32
zeff80

Missouri

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

First of all, it has a cool bottle and logo. Sadly, these are the best qualities.

It looks like a typical Budwieser; yellow and fizzy. The smell is beer-like and candy-like. Kind of reminded me of a Jolly Rancher. Very odd. It simply did not taste good. Really lacks any beer-like taste. All in all I would not recommend this. It just does not taste good.

11-10-2008 02:55:07 | More by zeff80
Zorro

1.23/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours an ultra clear and pale yellow beer, freakishly clear in fact.

Smell? Well this sucker certainly does smell! It is sitting on a table 3 feet from me and I can smell "Sweet Tarts" candy. Giving it a good sniff it smells like Star Fruit. It certainly isn't naturally scented.

Taste is sweet and tart.

IT TASTES EXACTLY LIKE BUDWEISER WITH A PACK OF SWEET TARTS THROWN IN IT!

No beer taste, it is an Alco Pop.

It does have some Mouthfeel.

Drinkability? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING! I don't know who at Anheuser-Busch thinks that the world needs a candy beer but it does have one use.

Remember when Homer Simpson asked for a "Skittle Brau" ?

THIS is SKITTLE BRAU!

02-04-2005 02:55:32 | More by Zorro
granger10

Wisconsin

1.23/5  rDev -35.6%

Got this for free so I figured what the hell I might as well try it and review it.

Very pale color with a small head. No lacing.

Aroma is somewhat sour and herbal and, honestly quite nasty.

Somehow the flavor was much, much worse. Nothing but nasty medicinal flavors and a corn syrup like sweetness.

Somehow the aftertaste was even worse leaving me with a sticky artificial sweetener taste in my mouth. Pop like in texture.

This could be one of the worst things I have ever tried. I don't mind Sparks but this is much worse. Just get a Vodka/Red Bull.

The only reason why I'd ever considering trying this again was if my energy levels were on zero and I was at a bar and somebody gave this to me for free. I still might pass.

12-22-2005 21:11:36 | More by granger10
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

1.25/5  rDev -34.6%

I didn't actually pour this into a glass, but from what it looked like around the rim of the 10 oz can, there is no reason to. Slightly dark yellow fizz look.
It smells like a raunchy flat beer, but with a nuance I can only describe as "off".
This tasted pretty much as it smelled, spot on. That "off" scent was reflected in the flavor as being sort of a dissolved sweet tart. If the sweet tart flavor were the only thing, I would only call this a 2 for not impressed, but coupled with the beer characteristic, which is even assier than their already ass beer, this becomes 1.0-awful. And that is being generous. If a rating could go down to 0-putrid calamity, then I would give it that in a heartbeat.
I didn't really expect to like this, but this is even worse than anticipated. Absolutely foul.
If you find one of these in your hand, put it back where you found it, and heel-kick your own self in the ass. Say "NO!".

02-19-2005 18:34:02 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON
ahking

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Don't have much more to add than what other reviewers have offered. Bought this out of curiousity, rather expensive at 5.99 for 4 ten oz cans. Very little beer flavor in this beverage. The non beer drinkers I shared this with sort of enjoyed it. Personally I would not even classify this as a beer and more of a malt liquor drink with "energy drink" components. Rather high in alcohol, but you could not tell by drinking this. If you like red bull etc. you will like this and find it fairly drinkable.

02-01-2005 04:27:05 | More by ahking
LuckySevens82

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

10 oz can..."beer with something extra"
Pours a painfully clear straw color with almost a soda pop like fizziness and no head more than what you'd get pouring a can of coke into a glass too fast (if you even want to call that a head)
Smell is sweet, almost like skittles or pixie stix, not much else there.
Taste is actually not as terrible as I thought it would be. I'm actually a fan (or was a fan when I was in school) of a few of the energy drinks on the market, so I'm kind of used to the flavors. This sure as hell doesn't taste like beer though. There is an almost cotton-candy like taste followed by corn and maybe pixie stix.
This tastes like fruit soda, nothing like beer, it's not good.
I really can't see much of a reason for this to be on the market, and I really don't know who would buy it on a regular basis. The only reason I even have a can of it is because my local package store owner can't sell it so he gave me one to try. Needless to say, I'm not ever going to have another. Hey, at least I can say I tried it.

02-07-2005 23:14:23 | More by LuckySevens82