Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros

generallee, Feb 13, 2012

Now called "Bud Extra" the motto: "Beer with something different" yeah...right.

10 oz twist-off bottle with a "born" on date of 2/5/07

AP: This is the thinnest, palest "beer" I've ever seen, looks like anorexic ginger ale with less fizz. Very little carbonation fails to create a head at all and only makes a thin-white soda-like fizzy head. Looks like mildly fizzy apple juice.

nose: All I can smell is the "natural" raspberry additive and something rusty and metallic.

flavor: wow, this is really terrible. a highly sweet raspberry sweetness with crushed up tylenol-like bitterness that is most likely caused by the Guarana becuase most "Energy" drinks I've ever had that has it in it's ingredients has a similar effect. It really is an unlpeasant assualt on your taste buds because of the sweet n' Lo-like bitterness that made me cringe. There is no sign of real beer flavor here at all...This is a Frankenstien's monster, it's hard to beleive this got past the perverbial drawing board; so to speak.

Feel: mildly fizzy, dull and lifeless. This is a zombie. an un-godly creation.

DA: This travesty should be avoided.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 10, 2007

gunther1205, Dec 12, 2012

Alright, I've read about this on BA and a few other web sites in the months since it came out, and I never thought I would review it. But I was in a local liquor store tonight, just checking out the selection, when I saw that they had singles of this 10 ounce wonder available, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to see what it's all about.

Pours a very pale yellow, lite beer pale yellow, with only a small white head of large bubbles after an aggressive pour. This unattractive head on an unattractive beer quickly dropped to nothing. Almost no carbonation- looked flat at first, after a few minutes, a small number of bubbles start popping up (did I use it all up in the pour?).

Aroma- it's easier to say what it doesn't have, than what it does have. No "beer" aroma at all. No hops, no malt, no grain, no yeast. What does it have? Sweet artificial fruit soda like flavor- very similar to the RedBull/RockStar energy drink suite of beverages. But even that's pretty thin.

Flavor- SweetTart-like, fruit (berry), artificial. Where's the beer? These are not beer flavors. At all. Sweet, in the worst possible way. I can't finish this. I think this is my very first score of 1. It's awful. What else can I say?

EDIT (a couple hours later): I didn't finish this "beer", but for some odd reason, I drank most of it before pouring the remainder out. I did this just before planning to go to bed. Two hours later, I'm still wide awake... be afraid, be very very afraid... (or be happy, be very very happy, depending on your goals....)

Dukeofearl, Mar 24, 2005

JeffSuttonTX, Mar 11, 2013

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013

KevChiTown, Tuesday at 11:13 PM

mitch3114, Sep 29, 2012

As I start this review, let me just say this – I am not an impartial reviewer. This B-to-the-E, to me, represents all that is evil in the brewing industry, the American public’s perception of beer, and general alcohol drinking philosophy, and this beer is probably the private wet dream of the marketing executives at Anheuser-Busch. Of course, I HAD to review it :-)

That said, this is one of the most disgusting beers I’ve ever tasted (And no, I have not yet had the pleasure of Crazy Ed’s Cave Creek Chili Beer). Pours a piss yellow color. Almost no carbonation and no head at all. Smells like sugar substitute. Tastes like Red Bull. No joke. Since Red Bull itself is stupid, unless you think you are trendy or you like caffeine buzzes or something, why the hell would ANYONE want their beer to taste like Red Bull? Truly vile.

RocketWidget, Mar 26, 2005

98green, Jun 28, 2014

chcfan, Nov 28, 2011

I'm sorry but this just isn't beer, and it isn't good either. My uncle got me again on turkeyday this year. He has a knack for getting me to finish his bad choices. Long story short he bought a few of these a year ago choked down two and kept the last one. I drank half of the 16 oz can and dumped the rest. Talked my pops into trying it and I quote "I don't think I like that son" exactly, no redeeming qualities pure evil.

kinger, Nov 11, 2008

I walked into the old gas station in Blackfoot Idaho. Inside, I found exactly what I expected- little in the way of modernization. This included the woman behind the counter. "Maggie" had probably spent the majority of her life in this little pocket of civilization. She was incredibly nice to me, which I expected. Country folk usually are pleasant to passers-through. In hindsight, however, I suspect that there was a lot more going on behind Maggie's eyes when she saw me walk through her door that day. Were she truly possessed of a kind heart, she would have carried out our interactions in a professional manner and bid me on my way with a smile. In fact, what actually took place was not a great departure from that scenario, except for one major detail. Maggie, in her scheming, cold hearted ways, happened to mention that there was currently a sale on "bud extra" and suggested I try a can. At $0.79, what did I stand to lose?

Well, here I am with a half empty can and a half empty glass in front of me, and I can tell you that I have lost a lot more than $0.79. I feel like my soul has joined the ranks of those things "half empty." My pride and dignity as a human being dissipated faster than did the head of this so called "beer." I've seen sprite hold a head longer. Oh yeah, that's another thing. What the fuck is the name of this beverage? Bud Extra? B^e? B-to-the-e?

Seriously, "B" is only mediocre on its own. The last thing you ever need to do is raise it to the "e" power.

Anyhow, let's get on with it. As you may have noticed, a few lines above, I referred to this not as a beer, but as a beverage. Because it's not a beer. It's hardly even a drinkable substance. In fact, calling it a beverage is truly an insult and disservice to beverages everywhere. Perhaps "fluid" might be the proper term, but that may make this review even more awkward.

The appearance is the worst I have ever seen in a product made of malt and hops. Zero head, Zero retention (not that there was anything to retain). Seriously, if you put this side by side with a "Rockstar" I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. A beer should never-to-the-ever be so visibly similar to an energy drink as to make them indistinguishable in a side by side comparison. The fact that Anheuser-Busch has accomplished this is almost astonishing.

The smell. Ok, remember that I am reviewing what is, allegedly, a beer. This substance smells almost exactly like 75% of the energy drinks on the market. That in and of itself is not a horrible thing, but this is a BEER we're talking about here. I am starting to have a vision of a bunch of young corporate assholes, gathered around a board room table, making enthusiastic suggestions to the higher ups about how to snare a piece of the energy drink market by creating this abomination. A piece of advice, fellas: You make beer. You're not particularly great at doing that, but not particularly horrible either. Stick to the space you know. When I want a condom, I go with Trojan. When I want an energy drink, I go to Redbull. When I want a beer- I am choosy. You can be damn sure that if Budweiser ever starts making condoms, I'd buy a gun and some ammunition. The end of the world couldn't be that far off.

The taste. Oh Holy God, the taste. The flavor of this beverage could only be described as "transitional" as it starts out in the flavor oriented spitting image of Rockstar, but somewhere along the way it transforms into something of a beer-esque nature. The problem is that those two flavors are (and should be) a long way from each other. Let's make a comparison. Imagine that there is in all of us a "manual transmission of tastes and flavors" with many, many gears. The flavor of beer *should* be somewhere near the "overdrive" range and, that being the case, the flavor of most energy drinks should probably be assigned to the "reverse" region. Now, what Bud+E forces one's palate to do is this: Floor it in reverse for 15 seconds, then immediately slam it all the way to overdrive, and grind every goddamn gear on the way. I don't know where they get "raspberry" Maybe drop the "r" and change the "p" to an "s" and you've got a more appropriate description. I won't bother to describe the hop or malt characters beyond the flaccid point that there is little more than a suggestion that grains of any kind were used at SOME point during the production of this substance.

Needless, yes truly needless to say, the mouthfeel is zilch, and the drinkability is off the charts in a negative direction. If I could give this beer zeros or negatives in all categories, I would. I have never understood the people that have said that on here before. I understand you now, oh beer brethren.

I'm going to go have some Arrogant Bastard, and try to become human again.

Beernoisseur, Mar 09, 2009
1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Again. I want to point out that I tried this out of morbid curiosity when a friend who works for AB gave me a free sample can

Hmm... looks like light yellow macro brew with a slight white head that vanishes quickly.

The smell? Well, I'm glad AB identified that we were clamoring for a robitussin scented beer.

Taste- well, fruity....
...
...
Oh cr-p. I cant keep this up. I can't review this. I'm sorry. There's no way to be constructive. This is truly awful. I mean, I'm going to look for anything I can too wash this taste away. I'm sorry I'm not giving a "constructive criticism" type review... I just cant....

amicar, Apr 30, 2005
1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Spare yourself the chance to smell and taste musty juice poured in beer. Imagine soaking a gymsock in fruit punch... thats about it.

Yellow color, seen this same color in my bathroom before.

Smell is musty and fruity. Just love the scurvy.

Taste... hrmmm... Bud with fruity stuff.

GAH!! Horrible stuff!!!

KoG, Feb 05, 2005
1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Apperance: The oddest color I've seen for a beer, is it green? Is it orange? I'm not really to sure.

Smell: Just like a Red Bull with a detectable alcohol smell.

Taste: It is very much simply mixing a Budweiser ICE and a Red Bull, and to tell the truth I don't like either.

Mouthfeel: This beer hurt, it actually caused pain to my mouth. So far the first and only beer I can say that of.

Drinkability: One is all you'll be able to handle. I shared this with a group of friend's, and I was the only one able to finish it, it is not worth tasting again.

I remember anticpating this beer before it came out thinking it may prove to be interesting. It was, but not in a good way. I don't bark on most beers, but single handedly the worst "beer" to ever cross my mouth. The redeeming factor being in that it gets you "drunk". I've never considered a beer a tool to be intoxicated, but some do, and for them this would be up their alley.

Bumpon10s, Sep 03, 2005
1.05/5  rDev -45%

This "beer" looks like very light beer but other than that, it is not a great beverage. I'd rather have a Red Bull or AMP when I want an energy drink, and a beer (other than Bud, if it's on my dime) when I want a beer. I actually like that funky ginseng and guarana twang in an energy drink, but might it fare better in a bittersweet, thicker beer? Ther emight be hope yet for those herbal ingredients in a more robust base style.

OK, to keep this review legal, here are the vitals:
Color: very pale. Head/Carb: poor foam retention lower carbonation than regular Bud. Flavor: Red Bull type flavor. Mouthfeel: (See Budweiser) Finish: sickly, artificially sweet. Ewww.

EagleTalon, Sep 07, 2005
1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

I found this at a gas station late one night while doing some quick shopping. It was in one of those suctioned racks on the inside of the cooler door, and was sold in individual 10oz cans.

B-E is one in a seemingly long line of new beers that are trying to reach new markets by including an "upper" such as caffeine into their brew. In this case, it goes a step beyond, incorporating not just caffeine, but also ginseng and guarana, two herbs commonly found in all canned energy drinks.

Imagine mixing equal parts Bud, Red Bull, and garbage water, and you'll get both the taste and smell of this "beer." To be a bit more descriptive, it tastes like someone mixed Bud with a generic and cheap (think cheaper than that Hansen's crap) energy drink. You can literally taste both flavors seperately with no blending whatsoever.

The predominant "tart" flavor that A-B claims harkens to blackberry, raspberry and cherry, comes from guarana. Guarana is a Brazilian berry that acts much like caffeine (although without that shaky feeling caffeine gives) and has a strong flavor similar to generic red soda (red pop). You may've tried it once in a failed Pepsi product called Josta.

Had they eliminated this one very strongly flavored ingredient, I think it would be a lot more passable as a beer. Ginseng doesn't have a strong flavor (or any flavor as far as I know), and would've meshed with the beer enough to give you a beer taste.

Mouthfeel is harsh. It felt like it had a greater degree of carbonation than beer or even your typical soda.

Smell wise it smelled like both Red Bull and Bud mixed into a can.

If you like Budweiser and you like Red Bull energy drink, then you may like this beer. I am OK with Bud and I use Red Bull when I need it, but I don't like this beer.

I'd like to be more constructive, but I can't. This is an expirament at marketing, and it is a poor one. I cannot recommend it whatsoever.

BlueShirtMember, Sep 28, 2005
1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

Purchased this in a ten ounce can. This beer pours a yellow color. It has a strong floral smell and a sweet taste. I really don't care for this beer, I am having a difficult time getting through the entire ten ounce can. It's way too sweet for my taste. I would not buy this again and would not recommend it. B to the Nasty would be more like it.

Drew966, Jan 24, 2006