Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

I'm not sure what I expected this stuff to look like, but it's a dead ringer for Bud Light. Pale straw yellow with a soft, off-white head that has better persistence than I remember for the light beer. The cap is cottony in texture and leaves little wisps of foam behind. So far, nothing out of the ordinary.

It doesn't smell like beer, but then I didn't expect that it would. It smells like blue raspberry candy or a similarly flavored sno-cone. I would say that it smells like an alcopop, but I have almost no experience with those and it doesn't strike me as an alcoholic beverage at all (I think that's the idea). It isn't an unpleasant aroma, but when judged as beer, it's vile.

B-to-the-E tastes nothing at all like beer until after all of the berry dreck has faded away. It starts out like blueberry-raspberry soda with an odd underflavor that I can't place. Might that be the ginseng and/or the guarana? It also tastes like it needs salt, like those occasional sodas (pops in the Midwest) that boast of low or no sodium, but taste like crap as a result.

As noted, there's a faint, cheap lager-like flavor on the finish that isn't an improvement on what it replaced. That aspect of the flavor makes it recognizable as beer, but it's still bad, execrable beer (looks like I've discovered what the 'B' and the 'E' stand for). The Anheuser-Busch website says this product "takes beer to the next level". I agree... the next level down.

The mouthfeel is an odd one. It's slightly syrupythick and retains a progressively lightening slickness all the way to the finish. There's nothing abnormal about the carbonation until it dies a sudden death when beer leaves mouth, making the ending seem unnaturally flat and lifeless. I can definitely feel the caffeine and guarana buzz, a much less pleasant sensation that the usual mellowing from real beer. This Red Bull(shit) is for the younger generation. I'll stick with ethanol, thanks.

Bad-to-the-Execrable is pretty much what I expected, except for the appearance. As always with quasi-beer beverages, I'm forced to decide whether to judge them on their merits alone or through a 'beer lens'. I've decided on the latter, although it wouldn't fare much better if I'd decided on the former. Purely and simply, this is an affront to beer. I would say that A-B should be ashamed to foist this concoction on the beer drinking public, but it's obvious, given their product line, that they no longer have the capacity to feel shame.

07-07-2005 13:48:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
nmann08

District of Columbia

12-14-2011 04:08:25 | More by nmann08
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.7/5  rDev -11%

Two more "options" to end the night if you want to call them that. What an interesting beer day, with some of the best I have had starting the day/night, and finishing it late in the evening with two more off the bottom list.

This one actually came to me as a gag extra a couple months back and had been sitting in the fridge as i was going to trick someone with it as a tasting, but since its now on here, I guess i will suck it up. i was planning on staying up late so figured i would use this to power me through my 3 hour video game session, wow, the depths i go to. cracked the can around 10pm, an i did stay up till around four, but soo not worth it.

not much differnet in the pour from what i was expecting, but an odd aroma comes through. the normal wet hay, corn but a touch of light fruit an something, not sure what, almost like dry cat food smell coming out of it. taste is, ehh. its different i will give it that, but just does not go anywhere. light fruity dryness in the finish but that was about it.

overall not sure if this is beer, energy, fruit, no clue, but glad it is not around as this could get some stupid people in a heep of trouble.

08-14-2010 14:25:59 | More by mikesgroove
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Strange brew indeed. Sorta cidery, reisling, mead like. In appearance, it's bubbly with a nice head. Aromas are tart and herbal. Mildly sweet and tart. Flavors of cider, white wine, and fruits of peaches, pears, and apples. Not as grainy as you'd think. Mildly tart and sour. Spicy and herbal like a ginsing tea. Light body that remains carbonated. Finishes mildly alcoholic and dry. It tastes vaguely of beer. Maybe a biend of a beer and chardonay.

08-11-2005 21:17:52 | More by BEERchitect
spycow

1.75/5  rDev -8.4%

01-12-2013 18:29:16 | More by spycow
zeff80

Missouri

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

First of all, it has a cool bottle and logo. Sadly, these are the best qualities.

It looks like a typical Budwieser; yellow and fizzy. The smell is beer-like and candy-like. Kind of reminded me of a Jolly Rancher. Very odd. It simply did not taste good. Really lacks any beer-like taste. All in all I would not recommend this. It just does not taste good.

11-10-2008 02:55:07 | More by zeff80
NeroFiddled

2.95/5  rDev +54.5%

I like it! Since there are no stylistic guidelines to compare it to, and not much in the way of comprable brands yet, this beer needs to be jusdged completely hedonistically. The appearance is surprisingly good with a head that holds better than Budweiser and leaves some very nice lacing about the glass! The very pale straw gold is reminiscent of white wine or apple cider; and its tiny effervescent bubbles rise in steadily rising flumes that give it a champagne-like appearance.... at least there's something to watch! The nose is fruity and candyish, similar to a sweet-tart or children's vitamin tablet - and the taste is the same! There is a little bit of a pear and apple-like flavor that's reminiscent of an English perry. No hops ever come into play; and this is more like a malternative or wine cooler than it is beer; but the aroma and the flavor are impeccably clean and it's clearly very well made. The body is light, bordering on medium; and it's effervescent carbonation gives the tongue a gentle zest. It's quite one-sided, however, and tends to leave a chalky feeling on your teeth and mouth, cutting down on its drinkability. As a novelty refresher, it's interesting and gets the job done. And it's certainly better tasting than Red Bull! As a "beer" it tanks, but I don't think you can really judge it as a beer. It's really something else altogether. Fans of cider and perry might like this one.

11-19-2004 22:08:24 | More by NeroFiddled
Jason

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Presentation: 10 oz can with a “Born On Date” on the bottom of the can. Hmmm … speed and alcohol, not a good mix. $1.75 a pop or $5.50 a 4-pack … at least it is cheaper than Red Bull.

Appearance: A sparkling undesirable yellow color with a faint white lace.

Smell: Artificial candy sweetness with a faint medicinal quality, smell of chewable zinc lozenges.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Decent crispness over a light body that holds some unnatural dextrin in the mouth feel. Vague beer flavor, nasty herbal flavors flail around chaotically.

Drinkability & Notes: Why? You may as well drink Red Bull & Vodka … this stuff is horrific. I am waiting to hear of the first OD on this stuff …

12-02-2004 02:26:21 | More by Jason
drabmuh

Maryland

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Promotional beer giveaway. I really need to stop falling for this "FREE BEER" gag. Because it results in a physical gag.

Beer drank from the can. I had to. Don't say anything. From what I can tell, its moderately carbonated, clear and pale yellow. OK, it LOOKS like beer. The description on this 10 ounce can makes it sound like trash though.

Smells like a bottle of Comet, the cleaner. GROSS!

Taste...close to the worst beer on the planet. Its sweet for no reason, it has a horrid aftertaste. I'm just going to pour it out. Forget this.

06-16-2010 00:30:12 | More by drabmuh
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Evidently somebody was trying to jump on the red bull energy with alcohol type of bandwagon, well I had to try it and give it a fair shake. Appears a lgiht pale golden tone very urine esque in appearance to be nice and PG I wil say apple juice with a white fizzy head dwindles oh so quickly. Aromatics are tart fruity green apple Jolly Rancher smell definitely a chick alco pop more than a beer smell to me. Flavor not very beer like a hint of corn and rice sweetness overpowered by tart citric fruity notes including cherry and green apple along with some Taurine??? Mouthfeel is light bodied mildly syurpy textured with bitey gag inducing carbonation. Drinkability, energy drink do you need some energy get a Red Bull or other widely available stimulant why mix your upper and the downer didn't health class tell us never to do this.

05-05-2007 19:37:57 | More by WVbeergeek
WesWes

3.7/5  rDev +93.7%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent with a tart herbal aroma. It smells like a Zima. The taste is good. It has a light pale malt flavor with a tart herbal finish. It's smooth and refreshing; not much different from most energy drinks. I could drink this more than regular Bud. It does leave a slight lager mustiness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is something new. I'm not going crazy for it, but I would drink this again if I needed a boost.

10-16-2005 00:24:38 | More by WesWes
Billolick

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Good April Fools beer, I feel like a fool for trying this swill. Anyway, had to give it a try, 10 oz red can, pours very light and very clear, whiter then fresh snow white head, dissolves to leave a tiny bubble film and ,yes, it does leave a fair bit of fine lacing, go figure. Nose is sweet and candy like. Tase is nasty, sweet, sugary,, cardboard, spearmint, yuch yuch yuch. Sort of a mix of regular bud, gatoraide and babies fresh vomit...Stay away from this foul and nasty product.

04-01-2005 02:34:54 | More by Billolick
woodychandler

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

I CAN't believe what they will put into a CAN and call it "beer"! The CAN reads "Beer with the natural flavor of raspberry; Beer with something extra; 6.6% Alc./Vol." and yet along the top of the CAN, it reads "Contains Alcohol"! So all of the other labeling was not enough?!? WTF, over? The CANQuest rolls along ...

I got a nice two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention off of the pour. Raspberry? More like raspberry perfume. I could smell it immediately and it was an obvious case of better living through chemistry - NO raspberries were harmed in the production of this beer. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It brightened this otherwise dull, snowy afternoon, allowing me to write something positive. Mouthfeel was abrasive on the tongue, thanks to both its carbonation and the candy-like flavor imparted by something extra. Gadzooks, but the taste was awful! It was reminiscent of Razzles candy from when I was a kid, but at 6.6 ABV, it was not candy. The finish left me with a regret so profound that I CANnot put it into words. This is definitely one to be avoided.

02-10-2010 17:53:22 | More by woodychandler
orangesol

03-08-2013 00:05:01 | More by orangesol
InspectorBob

11-29-2011 21:02:50 | More by InspectorBob
jdhilt

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a three finger, white head that quickly fades to nothing leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale yellow color. Traces of carbonation and very light bodied. Sweet fruity nose. Starts sweet from added flavors not from malt, no hint of hops or malts, higher ABV is not noticeable. A-B can make good beer if they really try (Bare Knuckle stout) but this doesn't taste or look like beer. Pricey - $5.49 for a 4-pak of 10oz bottles from Irving Blue Canoe Concord, NH.

05-15-2006 22:24:40 | More by jdhilt
Zorro

1.23/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours an ultra clear and pale yellow beer, freakishly clear in fact.

Smell? Well this sucker certainly does smell! It is sitting on a table 3 feet from me and I can smell "Sweet Tarts" candy. Giving it a good sniff it smells like Star Fruit. It certainly isn't naturally scented.

Taste is sweet and tart.

IT TASTES EXACTLY LIKE BUDWEISER WITH A PACK OF SWEET TARTS THROWN IN IT!

No beer taste, it is an Alco Pop.

It does have some Mouthfeel.

Drinkability? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING! I don't know who at Anheuser-Busch thinks that the world needs a candy beer but it does have one use.

Remember when Homer Simpson asked for a "Skittle Brau" ?

THIS is SKITTLE BRAU!

02-04-2005 02:55:32 | More by Zorro
Bighuge

3.1/5  rDev +62.3%

6.6% a/v?? From Anheuser Busch?? Hmmm

Crystal clear, white grape juice appearance. One finger sized white head. Great retention. Nice sweet and spicy aroma. And definitely fruity as well. Almost like smelling a handfull of sweet tarts. This is really an interesting little experiment. It doesn't taste like beer to me, but neither does mead, cider, braggot, etc.... It does taste good however. I'm reminded again of sweet tarts. Zesty fruit tones come along. Got a little bit of ascorbic acid residue on the tongue after the swallow. The body is light-medium. And the carbonation is on the low side of the spectrum. This is not bad. I'm glad to have tried at least one of these. But I do prefer my beer without caffeine and other stimulants. Fuck, I've had 5 of these bitches and now feel like going up and down my street shoveling out every damn driveway in the neighborhood.

02-28-2005 03:37:25 | More by Bighuge
Kelp

1.25/5  rDev -34.6%

05-09-2013 05:32:33 | More by Kelp
francisweizen

Alaska

2.9/5  rDev +51.8%

Interesting stuff, this. Nearly clear in colour with a nasty fizz to it. Drink it from the can. Smells of flinstones chewable fruit flavored vitamins, seltzer water, muichelob ultra, and funky cider/perry. Odd. Taste si weird. slighlty beery, light and fruity with some weird funky cider/perry tones as well. Mouthfeel is light, but lends to this stuffs great drinkability. A 4 pack can be downed in ease, but why would you want to. This may be better than Sparks, but who cares! My curiosity got the best of me again. Still it may be AB's best product!

04-14-2005 16:03:50 | More by francisweizen
puboflyons

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

From the can 08276-VB74 and sampled on January 15, 2010. The pour is about the only decen thing about this. I mean it looks like a beer with its pale yellow tone, thin head, and hyperactive carbonation. But everything else beyond that is difficult to define. The aroma is like sniffing a raspberry wine cooler rather than a beer. The mouthfeel is thin. The taste is basically nothing but raspberry flavoring with maybe...and I mean maybe...a hint of hops. I expect this will result in one of the lowest ratings I have ever given on BA.

01-16-2010 00:56:44 | More by puboflyons
mynie

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Once, when I about 14, my friend Dusty told me that he had found some naked pictures of his mother. I could tell that he had been upset about something, but I refused to believe him. He was the youngest of four kids and at the time his oldest sibling was in her middle thirties. He mother was in her early 60s and had always seemed to me the epitome of a fat old housewife, always wearing an apron, often baking, never exhibiting the slightest hint of sexuality in her dress or matter.

I demanded to see these pictures, as proof, and sure enough there she was, all 300 pounds of her: bare ass naked. It almost made me puke, literally, it had a worse effect on my stomach than had any image I had ever seen, before or since. But still I had seen it, and seeing it had given me closure.

And so, with Dusty’s mom in mind, I stood patiently before a man wearing a Bud jacket at the gas station today as he wooed myself a few other younger men, regaling us with the wonders of mixing uppers and downers as he doled out free samples of the new AB product: B to the E.

The feelings were all the same: morbid curiosity, like slowing down to look at the scene of an accident. And it felt dirty, too, grabbing a free drink at a gas station, right before I drove away, there *had* to have been some law that I would have been breaking. But mostly all I wanted to do was see the carnage for myself. The whole idea just seemed so impossible, so horrible, that my very faith in god would be destroyed if the myths and rumors I had been hearing were proven true. Like a mother being brought in to her child’s deathbed, this was the kind of thing I could never truly believe until I saw it for myself, no matter how painful it might have been.

And no, I do not ask you to approve of my actions. Just to understand and forgive them. I did what had to be done.

Looks like Bud. No head. No nothing.

Smells like an energy drink, like berries and medicine. You know Amp? Not the Mountain Dew kind, but the other kind? It smells, and tastes, like that. Somewhere in between the sour of Red Bull and the sweetness of Laffy Taffy.

It doesn’t taste like beer. There isn’t even a hint of beer. The only beery remnant is the trademarked AB foul malt aftertaste. Still, this doesn’t really taste *bad,* so I can’t give it a perfect zero. Damn near a zero, though.

Drinking more than a few of these wouldn’t just be hard on your palette, it would be a genuine danger to your health. Uppers and downers should not be taken together. I learned that in 5th grade. And as this product contains not one, but two forms of potent diuretics, you should look for more than few B to the E fatalities in the next few months. All I can say is that anyone who drinks more than one of these probably deserves to die.

01-29-2005 00:11:54 | More by mynie
hopdog

2.15/5  rDev +12.6%

Why the Hell did I buy this? I just flew into CA from PA, and stopped by the 7-11 on the way to the families house and this 'stood' out.

Poured a light yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Herbal/fruity taste and aroma. Sweet. Bizarre beer. More of an Energy Drink taste than a beer. Novelty beer at the most.

Notes from:

01-07-2009 22:51:14 | More by hopdog
JoeyBeerBelly

My wife came home with a 4 pack of these from the grocery store.

I gave it a 3 for appearance because I don't know what this style should look like?
To me it looked the same as the fake champagne (sparkling apple juice) I used to get for my kids on New Year's Eve.

It smells like sparkling apple juice

It tastes odd, strange, weird!

It's fizzy and bitter.

I didn't like this, my wife drank two and she yapped nonsense for over an hour. I gave her a very strong vodka and cranberry as a nightcap... thank goodness, she finally shut up!

04-22-2007 03:04:40 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
merlin48

Kentucky

1.68/5  rDev -12%

Found a single of this and my curiosity got the best of me. "Beer with caffeine, ginseng, guarana root, and natural flavors" according to the writing on the 10 oz can. OK. I've had beer with hemp, ginger, chili, assorted fruits, chocolate, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc., so I'll give this a try.
Pours clear, with a faintly pale yellow body. One finger white head lasts about 15 seconds and vanishes completely. No lace. There is barely any color in the body.
Aroma is similar to ginger ale, with some SweeTart candy notes.
Mouthfeel features tingly carbonation, with some cloying, artificial sugar tart fruitiness.
Taste has nothing akin to any style of beer. Sprite soda is close, but this reminds me of a regional soda from northeastern Tennessee, called DrEnuff. No hops, malts, or yeasts are noted.
This is not a beer. Not as gross as a Zima, and it goes down quickly. Had to chase this with a glass of water to prevent nausea. I won't be having this one again. Avoid!

04-29-2005 21:40:55 | More by merlin48