2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Bud ExtraBud Extra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 119 | Show All Ratings:
swid

Missouri

1.83/5  rDev -4.2%

B to the E pours an extremely pale yellow color...it looks as much like Mountain Dew as any beer. It has a white head that dissipates quickly. Moderate carbonation and lacing. The aroma is also a cross between beer and Red Bull, with the herbal smells of an energy drink dominating.

The taste wasn't quite as bad as I had been expecting, as it does manage to taste better than Red Bull. However, this barely tastes like beer at all. B to the E is quite sweet, and you can taste the caffeine as well. The mouthfeel is very slick and is very reminiscient of Mt. Dew. However, A-B manages to keep their usual nasty aftertaste in the mix as well.

Overall, while this wasn't quite as bad as I feared it would be, this is just another blatant attempt by A-B to muscle its way into yet another market segment and it is just one more product to take away shelf space from craft beer. Stay away.

02-13-2005 03:27:21 | More by swid
skar

2.05/5  rDev +7.3%

During my last trip to New Beer, I picked up a can of B-to-the-E to satisfy some strange curiousity. 6.6% abv seems quite high for Anheuser-Busch.

One of the palest beers I've seen in a while. Looks pretty flat kinda like Red Bull.

The aroma is a light lemon-lime with the faintest hint of malt.

The mouthfeel is the same lightly carbonated feel as most energy drinks.

It tastes very sweet. Some citrus flavor. Some slight funky something in the background. (Probably artificial sweeteners.) Reminds me of an energy drink, make that a low carb energy drink.

Bottom line: If you think Lindeman's sweetened Lambics are overpriced then this may be the beer for you. If not, then stay away. Personally if I wanted an energy drink, I'd buy a 16oz can of Monster. (The energy drink, not Brooklyn's barleywine.)

02-11-2005 02:23:15 | More by skar
jasonpeckins32

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

I like to call it "Waste of Time in a Can", brought to you by Budweiser.... C'mon Bud, you guys should be way better than this. I am not at all impressed by this "Beer with something Extra". It poured a bright straw yellow and looked like ALL energy drink and NO beer. Smells like a box of sour patch kids, that tangy chewy candy that nobody likes. This drink tastes nothing like beer, how it is considered a beer I have no idea. Its a little fizzy going down, and leaves an aftertaste that reminds me of chewable vitamins.

Nothing special here, not even worth a try, especially for $3 a can. I'm not even sure if I'd buy it if it were 3 for a dollar at the party store. Gross.

02-08-2005 04:16:30 | More by jasonpeckins32
LuckySevens82

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

10 oz can..."beer with something extra"
Pours a painfully clear straw color with almost a soda pop like fizziness and no head more than what you'd get pouring a can of coke into a glass too fast (if you even want to call that a head)
Smell is sweet, almost like skittles or pixie stix, not much else there.
Taste is actually not as terrible as I thought it would be. I'm actually a fan (or was a fan when I was in school) of a few of the energy drinks on the market, so I'm kind of used to the flavors. This sure as hell doesn't taste like beer though. There is an almost cotton-candy like taste followed by corn and maybe pixie stix.
This tastes like fruit soda, nothing like beer, it's not good.
I really can't see much of a reason for this to be on the market, and I really don't know who would buy it on a regular basis. The only reason I even have a can of it is because my local package store owner can't sell it so he gave me one to try. Needless to say, I'm not ever going to have another. Hey, at least I can say I tried it.

02-07-2005 23:14:23 | More by LuckySevens82
Ricochet

1.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Sample in the supermarket? Sure! It was 50 cents a sample (by law), and I hadn't brought myself to actually BUY one, so what the hell. Out of the can in a PAPER CUP.

First, because it wasn't as cold as it could be direct from a frosty can. Second, I have never had any of the energy drinks unless you count Josta in that vein. Third, does AB really think 10oz cans of "Energy Beer" is what the beer drinking public needs?

It was cloudy in appearence, but that may have been the cup. Smells fruity and only a little like beer beverage. In the mouth, just like any other beer. Drinkability? It is a very sweet tasting beverage. Yes, I had to think if indeed I was drinking a beer, but then taste of Bud (Light?) hit at the end. Did you ever pour beer on a sweet kiddie cerial and spoon it up? Bingo.

I think for drinkability, it would be impossible to have large (or small ) quantities of this. Beer is something I have while relaxing. Energy drinks, if I needed to have them, would be to stay awake. Combine them? Nahhh.

02-06-2005 18:27:29 | More by Ricochet
KoG

Nevada

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Spare yourself the chance to smell and taste musty juice poured in beer. Imagine soaking a gymsock in fruit punch... thats about it.

Yellow color, seen this same color in my bathroom before.

Smell is musty and fruity. Just love the scurvy.

Taste... hrmmm... Bud with fruity stuff.

GAH!! Horrible stuff!!!

02-05-2005 09:38:27 | More by KoG
Zorro

1.23/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours an ultra clear and pale yellow beer, freakishly clear in fact.

Smell? Well this sucker certainly does smell! It is sitting on a table 3 feet from me and I can smell "Sweet Tarts" candy. Giving it a good sniff it smells like Star Fruit. It certainly isn't naturally scented.

Taste is sweet and tart.

IT TASTES EXACTLY LIKE BUDWEISER WITH A PACK OF SWEET TARTS THROWN IN IT!

No beer taste, it is an Alco Pop.

It does have some Mouthfeel.

Drinkability? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING! I don't know who at Anheuser-Busch thinks that the world needs a candy beer but it does have one use.

Remember when Homer Simpson asked for a "Skittle Brau" ?

THIS is SKITTLE BRAU!

02-04-2005 02:55:32 | More by Zorro
ahking

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Don't have much more to add than what other reviewers have offered. Bought this out of curiousity, rather expensive at 5.99 for 4 ten oz cans. Very little beer flavor in this beverage. The non beer drinkers I shared this with sort of enjoyed it. Personally I would not even classify this as a beer and more of a malt liquor drink with "energy drink" components. Rather high in alcohol, but you could not tell by drinking this. If you like red bull etc. you will like this and find it fairly drinkable.

02-01-2005 04:27:05 | More by ahking
TastyTaste

1.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured a very light straw color, with a big head that seems to be tinted pink. Smells like red bull mixed with 40, smells quite interesting. Taste is sweet and fruity, with a macro graininess trailing. Taste gets pretty annoyng after a while, one of the sweetest "beers" I have tried. At 6.6% I could see this stuff ending nights at 5:30 in the morning, naked, in detox.

P.S. After drinking the rest of this can of crap, I have taken it's scores down all around. A punishment to take a sip, this should be avoided.

01-29-2005 21:38:24 | More by TastyTaste
mynie

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Once, when I about 14, my friend Dusty told me that he had found some naked pictures of his mother. I could tell that he had been upset about something, but I refused to believe him. He was the youngest of four kids and at the time his oldest sibling was in her middle thirties. He mother was in her early 60s and had always seemed to me the epitome of a fat old housewife, always wearing an apron, often baking, never exhibiting the slightest hint of sexuality in her dress or matter.

I demanded to see these pictures, as proof, and sure enough there she was, all 300 pounds of her: bare ass naked. It almost made me puke, literally, it had a worse effect on my stomach than had any image I had ever seen, before or since. But still I had seen it, and seeing it had given me closure.

And so, with Dusty’s mom in mind, I stood patiently before a man wearing a Bud jacket at the gas station today as he wooed myself a few other younger men, regaling us with the wonders of mixing uppers and downers as he doled out free samples of the new AB product: B to the E.

The feelings were all the same: morbid curiosity, like slowing down to look at the scene of an accident. And it felt dirty, too, grabbing a free drink at a gas station, right before I drove away, there *had* to have been some law that I would have been breaking. But mostly all I wanted to do was see the carnage for myself. The whole idea just seemed so impossible, so horrible, that my very faith in god would be destroyed if the myths and rumors I had been hearing were proven true. Like a mother being brought in to her child’s deathbed, this was the kind of thing I could never truly believe until I saw it for myself, no matter how painful it might have been.

And no, I do not ask you to approve of my actions. Just to understand and forgive them. I did what had to be done.

Looks like Bud. No head. No nothing.

Smells like an energy drink, like berries and medicine. You know Amp? Not the Mountain Dew kind, but the other kind? It smells, and tastes, like that. Somewhere in between the sour of Red Bull and the sweetness of Laffy Taffy.

It doesn’t taste like beer. There isn’t even a hint of beer. The only beery remnant is the trademarked AB foul malt aftertaste. Still, this doesn’t really taste *bad,* so I can’t give it a perfect zero. Damn near a zero, though.

Drinking more than a few of these wouldn’t just be hard on your palette, it would be a genuine danger to your health. Uppers and downers should not be taken together. I learned that in 5th grade. And as this product contains not one, but two forms of potent diuretics, you should look for more than few B to the E fatalities in the next few months. All I can say is that anyone who drinks more than one of these probably deserves to die.

01-29-2005 00:11:54 | More by mynie
hero27

2.4/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: I just wanna get this out in the open... "B-to-the-E", or whatever it's called..is a terrible name.. But I guess the name probably seems attractive to the Red Bull & vodka drinkers that get bombed and head to the clubs, so, in that sense, it's probably a pretty good marketing strategy. Very clear, pale yellow color. Head is better than expected at first but recedes in the blink of an eye.

Smell: Smells like Red Bull or most energy drinks. Little bit of a macro "beer" aroma to it, but smells mostly of cranberry/grape juice.

Taste: Certainly not as bad as I feared it would be. I had very low hopes going into this one, and when it turned out to taste like something other than vomit, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm nearly positive anyone can make this for themselves in their own house.

Instructions:
Buy a can of Budweiser.
Buy a can of Red Bull.
Drink a few gulps out of the Budweiser.
Pour Red Bull in.
There you go! Now you have B-to-the-E.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, very light mouthfeel. Lingering (guarana?..certainly not hop) bitterness.

Drinkability: Certainly not in the same category as 99.9% of the beers in the world, and shouldn't be viewed in that way. It's very unique and not as bad as I thought it would be. Could you drink a lot of these in succession? I suppose you COULD do a lot of things. Whether or not you'd want to is another question entirely.

01-25-2005 02:11:23 | More by hero27
Rio

Kansas

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

10 oz. can, stylized red and black can with born on dating on the bottom. Poured a clear, very, very pale golden color, with a moutainous head that disappeared before I could put the can down. Smells of artificial fruit flavors, a chalky smell to it that reminds me of Tums.

Tastes like it's trying to be beer, it's just not succeeding very well. A bit of a floral taste that might point to hops, but it was quickly overwhelmed by that artificial fruity taste. Reminds me of a Sobe type fruity energy drink, which, of course, is along the lines of what it's trying to be. Mouthfeel is crisp, but is sticky-sweet as well.

Definitely an interesting 'beer,' but it started giving me a headache after just three drinks. Far too sweet to have high drinkability to me, though people who like sweeter beers may actually enjoy it, I dunno.

01-24-2005 05:20:35 | More by Rio
bashiba

Iowa

1.4/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours a super light yellow color, almost clear, with 2 inches of thick fizzy white head. Lots of carbonation.

Smells very much like a glass of black cherry shasta.

Taste is slightly sweet with a hint of black cherry flavor, has a very soda pop like flavor that the smell had suggested. Still has the smallest amount of beer flavor. Overall just plain not good flavor, mixing soda and beer just isn't a good idea. The more of this I drink the less I like it.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

Overall jus plain bad, drinkability is terrible, the closer I get to the bottom of the glass the more I dread the next drink. I just don't see this stuff having a bright future. Even worse tasting than many of the other Flavored Malt Beverages out there.

01-13-2005 21:56:50 | More by bashiba
ManekiNeko

2.33/5  rDev +22%

Obtained via a joke from a waitress at the Brickskellar. I told her, "Bring me either La Fin du Monde or B to the effin' E, please, for I must go clubbin' later on and I must party hard." Well, I didn't exactly say that, but she was amused enough by mine antics to provide the table (consisting of me, Dave, and Gusterfan) with a can which would otherwise go unsold for I highly doubt this offering will sell at all at the Brick. Further proof Mr. Alexander is on kracq, Bob-bless him.

Onto lez bier.

Appearance: Well, I wasn't precisely certain what to expect from this substance visually, but it poured out an über-pale yellow that was crystal clear. Reminiscent of Ultra in color and head retention. Basically, it looks like ginger ale.

Smell: Skittles!!! Artificial fruit flava. "Citrusy" in toto. Crack open either a Red Bull or a pack of aforementioned candy and you get the idea. No aromas of anything traditionally associated with beer.

Taste: Kinda sweet/tart. Other than the initial Willy Wonka like splash of candy goodness, that's it. Doesn't taste bad, but it's far from good. I'm reminded of a guarana-laced hyper-caffeinated bevvie I used to have once in awhile called, I shit you not, Bawls. One of these woke you up, the second sent you to detox. This tastes exactly like it. Regretfully, I can't say it tastes like Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls. That would be at least be an improvement.

Mouthfeel: Honestly, the biggest dissapointment. Overly watery, like a slightly flat club soda.

Drinkability: I shudder to think that I might potentially meet the peeps this drink is marketed to. I can more than handle Joe Macro-pack... but the B-to-tha-mutha-effin'-E drinker needs to be shot before they breed.

Other: Anyone need used glowsticks and an Underworld CD?

01-08-2005 07:11:35 | More by ManekiNeko
santoslhalper

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

What? This is beer? My neighbor picked some up and I thought I'd give it a shot. It doesn't look, smell, taste or feel anything like beer. And it seems like beer with caffeine is not wise... "Here drink this you'll stay up drinking till you die!" Anyways had a strong red bull taste, almost fruity, but tasted mainly like a baby diaper. This is garbage.

12-19-2004 16:53:54 | More by santoslhalper
ElGordo

Oregon

1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Wasn't sure what the proper vessel was in which to serve this beverage, so I just the 10oz can poured it in a rocks glass. Very clear golden color, remarkably like urine. A small, fizzy white head hangs around for about a minute before vanishing forever. Aroma is redolent of raspberries, with the specter of adjunct lager threatening in the back. Not bad, really. As for the taste - Ack! It's like someone poured a red bull (diet red bull, maybe) into a bud light. Fruity, perfumy raspberry and fruit overtones attempt to mask adjunct malt and crappy hops, but fail miserably. The fruit/perfume lingers and develops into a slightly bitter, unpleasant aftertaste. Thin, foamy mouthfeel. I have to say, though, it achieves its stated purpose. After only a few sips, I feel energized. Next time, though, I'll just drink a red bull.

12-12-2004 00:53:31 | More by ElGordo
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.03/5  rDev +58.6%

Very interesting brew. Had this one at a biker/hard rock bar in Hotlanta. It was given to me for free, so I liked the price. Had a fruity smell, with a kind of flat beer smell infused. Something totally original, so I give it a 3.5. The taste was just as if someone put Red Bull in a beer. Not a good beer, but something like Bud. Though Bud usually has a hoppier taste than it's meglobrew cohorts, it was weakend a bit by the energy drink. I don't think I could drink a whole 6er of it, but I might try it again.

12-06-2004 02:16:22 | More by JISurfer
Jason

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Presentation: 10 oz can with a “Born On Date” on the bottom of the can. Hmmm … speed and alcohol, not a good mix. $1.75 a pop or $5.50 a 4-pack … at least it is cheaper than Red Bull.

Appearance: A sparkling undesirable yellow color with a faint white lace.

Smell: Artificial candy sweetness with a faint medicinal quality, smell of chewable zinc lozenges.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Decent crispness over a light body that holds some unnatural dextrin in the mouth feel. Vague beer flavor, nasty herbal flavors flail around chaotically.

Drinkability & Notes: Why? You may as well drink Red Bull & Vodka … this stuff is horrific. I am waiting to hear of the first OD on this stuff …

12-02-2004 02:26:21 | More by Jason
NeroFiddled

2.95/5  rDev +54.5%

I like it! Since there are no stylistic guidelines to compare it to, and not much in the way of comprable brands yet, this beer needs to be jusdged completely hedonistically. The appearance is surprisingly good with a head that holds better than Budweiser and leaves some very nice lacing about the glass! The very pale straw gold is reminiscent of white wine or apple cider; and its tiny effervescent bubbles rise in steadily rising flumes that give it a champagne-like appearance.... at least there's something to watch! The nose is fruity and candyish, similar to a sweet-tart or children's vitamin tablet - and the taste is the same! There is a little bit of a pear and apple-like flavor that's reminiscent of an English perry. No hops ever come into play; and this is more like a malternative or wine cooler than it is beer; but the aroma and the flavor are impeccably clean and it's clearly very well made. The body is light, bordering on medium; and it's effervescent carbonation gives the tongue a gentle zest. It's quite one-sided, however, and tends to leave a chalky feeling on your teeth and mouth, cutting down on its drinkability. As a novelty refresher, it's interesting and gets the job done. And it's certainly better tasting than Red Bull! As a "beer" it tanks, but I don't think you can really judge it as a beer. It's really something else altogether. Fans of cider and perry might like this one.

11-19-2004 22:08:24 | More by NeroFiddled