Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Okay, my curiosity got the best of me tonight. This was the first time I saw this available in North Carolina (it can't be over 6.0% ABV, can it?). It is better than one of those Ginseng based caffeinated drink at least.

Is it beer? Not at all. Market it to the red bull and vodka crowd, change the color to purple and put in a bottle, and you may have a found a niche with the clubbing crowd. Smells of raspberry with a strong fruit taste. No mouthfeel to speak of.

At least is was only $1.29 for a can.

2.88/5  rDev +50.8%

Not terrible as long as you don't judge it as a beer! It essentially looks and tastes like Red Bull, but has a beer mouthfeel and head. As a beer it's horrible, but as an energy drink it's average.
If you're really interested in something like this, there are better options, though.
It's really tough to judge this as a beer simply because it really doesn't seem anything like one.

2.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 10 oz bottle completely wrapped in plastic. "Beer with something extra . . ." Maybe they could have spent less on the label and put a full serving in the bottle?

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow with a head that fades quickly to nothing.

Smell: I can smell this one from across the room. Sickly sweet aroma - reminds me of some of the more overly sweet ciders. Slight hint of artificial fruit.

Taste: Taste is like the aroma - overly sweet and artificial fruit. Slight chalkiness to the mouthfeel.

Overall impression: I'm not sure what masochistic urge made me pick up this bottle, but I guess curiosity won out. This one is easy to drink because there isn't much going on - but I'm a bit afraid of what it is doing to my body while I drink it.

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I don't think it can get worse than this beer. Packy was having a $1/can special and picked it up out of odd curiousity. Poured sickly yellow-tinged green. The smell isn't as bad as possible, only because it is sweet smelling, but nothing like a beer. The Where's the malts and hops? The flavor is merely sweet tarts. Mouthfeel is at least crispish (a stretch, starting to feel bad and look for any positive). Drinkability. Nada. Sorry. I wince every time I pick up the glass.

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Again. I want to point out that I tried this out of morbid curiosity when a friend who works for AB gave me a free sample can

Hmm... looks like light yellow macro brew with a slight white head that vanishes quickly.

The smell? Well, I'm glad AB identified that we were clamoring for a robitussin scented beer.

Taste- well, fruity....
...
...
Oh cr-p. I cant keep this up. I can't review this. I'm sorry. There's no way to be constructive. This is truly awful. I mean, I'm going to look for anything I can too wash this taste away. I'm sorry I'm not giving a "constructive criticism" type review... I just cant....

1.68/5  rDev -12%

Found a single of this and my curiosity got the best of me. "Beer with caffeine, ginseng, guarana root, and natural flavors" according to the writing on the 10 oz can. OK. I've had beer with hemp, ginger, chili, assorted fruits, chocolate, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc., so I'll give this a try.
Pours clear, with a faintly pale yellow body. One finger white head lasts about 15 seconds and vanishes completely. No lace. There is barely any color in the body.
Aroma is similar to ginger ale, with some SweeTart candy notes.
Mouthfeel features tingly carbonation, with some cloying, artificial sugar tart fruitiness.
Taste has nothing akin to any style of beer. Sprite soda is close, but this reminds me of a regional soda from northeastern Tennessee, called DrEnuff. No hops, malts, or yeasts are noted.
This is not a beer. Not as gross as a Zima, and it goes down quickly. Had to chase this with a glass of water to prevent nausea. I won't be having this one again. Avoid!

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz. can (which evidently is unusual, but this is Texas, land of the obscure Liquor Law) noting Caffeine, ginseng and guarana extract and “natural flavors” Born on date on bottom of can states: 12FEB05
Aroma: Sprite ™ and cotton candy. Very sweet smelling, very artificial flavor soda
Appearance: Extremely clear, practically white with a drop of yellow in it. This is the clearest and whitest “beer” I’ve ever seen. Had a creamy small bubbled head that dropped to the thinnest of collars quickly.
Flavor: Tastes like soda and a malternative mixed together. Fruity, sweet, and not at all like beer. More like a diet soda
Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and light; evaporates to nothing at the swallow.
Overall Impression: Ok, this isn’t beer. This is some marketers’ idea of how to sell beer to people that don’t like the taste of beer. Frankly; it worked. My wife, not a beer drinker, likes it. I, however, view it as an abomination. Oh Bud, you have dropped to a new low.
I owe Pegasus a bitchslap for giving me this.

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

"So if we call it a beer, even though it is a malternative, we can trick some beer drinkers into having it," is what I think AB marketing types were saying around the long mahogany table.

Chalky, sweet-tart tasting swill. Ugly non-natural yellow color. Candy fizzy smell. Completely non-beer flavor. Might as well be a Bacardi Silver or something. Mouthfeel is phony energy drink carbonation. There is no reason to drink one of these let alone worrying about drinkability. And, hey!, it's conveniently priced like a regular Bud but in a sporty ten oz can! What a deal!

2.9/5  rDev +51.8%

Interesting stuff, this. Nearly clear in colour with a nasty fizz to it. Drink it from the can. Smells of flinstones chewable fruit flavored vitamins, seltzer water, muichelob ultra, and funky cider/perry. Odd. Taste si weird. slighlty beery, light and fruity with some weird funky cider/perry tones as well. Mouthfeel is light, but lends to this stuffs great drinkability. A 4 pack can be downed in ease, but why would you want to. This may be better than Sparks, but who cares! My curiosity got the best of me again. Still it may be AB's best product!

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Frighteningly pale, you move the glass around the background trying to see if the barely ginger ale appearance is real or not. Forced carbonation and a cheap detergent head. Small but fat dots for lace. Artificial orange aroma, not so good. Skeletal body, highly spritzy. With all the extracts and additives dumped into this, it mostly just tastes like fruit antacid tablets, "fruity" and tangy but completely indecipherable as to what the fruit really is. Dries with some odd burnt matches at the finish. I wonder if I could replicate this to a blindfolded person with fruit punch, seltzer water, and some cigarette butts. I tend to be friendly and rate macros as much for what they are as possible, but I can't go for this one at all.

2.8/5  rDev +46.6%

With my love of Bud I just had to try this one. Poured a very pale yellow color. Nowhere near the bright "gold" I associate with regular Bud. While there was a decent "pfthh" from the can it appears very flat with little carbonation present. The aroma is actually quite nice-like your average micro fruit beer. I cant pinpoint what fruit but its almost a kiwi or some type of berry. The taste is ok-not bad or good. Its almost like a tangy wine cooler-not as sweet. Theres no real body to speak of. I think Ive had water with more body then this. Overall not really as bad as I thought it would be. I had visions of dumping it after 2 sips. I could see it being trendy with the wine cooler crowd ie women. The 6.6% might catch up on you. Not my thing but I cant trash it. I will be clensing my palate with a Murphys however!!!

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

All in all, pretty terrible. I’m all for experimental beers and unusual ingredients being used to brew beer, but this is just wrong. Call me old fashioned but I simply believe that beer should NOT taste like an energy drink!!! However, if you really try, and concentrate really hard, you might be able to fool yourself into thinking it tastes like a bad fruit beer with a sort of an rancid apricot taste to it (with just a hint of ass as well). Budweiser has established a long-standing legacy of brewing bad beer without resorting to ideas like this one, and for the love of all things holy, they should just stick to doing what they do best. But perhaps I’m looking at this the wrong way: while it’s certainly one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried, it’s probably one of the best energy drinks I’ve ever had…

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

Forgive me father for I have sinned.. Having had the B to the E at the HR-NOVA gathering. I decided I should break out a couple of samples and do a side by side with Sparks. Hey someone had to eat the first oyster....

Pours a pale white yellow with maybe a hint of pink. Head is more like a collection of bubbles really nothing too lingering. Smell is nothing.. Really cant get much off of it other than maybe a touch of sweetness. Smells almost like a seltzer water. Taste is rather light too.. A hint of beer flavour then to a medicinal childrens asprin and Spree combo.. Pretty sweet stuff. But really not much flavour at all. Sparks has much more of a flavour, but that isnt really a good thing. Mouthfeel is once again sprightly like soda pop. Drinkability.. Well it wont make you gag.... but honestly after you try it just to say you have.. whats the point other than trying to get to the power of E

1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: Pale straw color with a moderate snow-white head, profuse fast-rising carbonation, and lots of broken lacing. The appearance is typical for a light lager.

Aroma: Overpowering and hideously sweet and sour aroma, rather like a fusion of Hawaiian Punch and Sweet Tarts. No traces of hops, malt, alcohol, or anything else that I associate with beer.

Taste: Nauseatingly sweet and sour at the open, rather like drinking Sweet Tarts. Towards the finish there is an underlying note of harsh medicinal bitterness, alas, insufficient to send the Sweet Tarts packing.

Mouth feel: Smooth and reasonably full, soft on the palate, with a slight sting of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Among the commercially produced beers that I have had, it is one of the worst and is truly appalling.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve (not ten ounce as most reviewers have noted) ounce aluminum can. Perhaps the twelve ounce can is a function of Texas' odd beer laws. Served in a standard pint tap glass. Born on date is February 12th, 2005.

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Good April Fools beer, I feel like a fool for trying this swill. Anyway, had to give it a try, 10 oz red can, pours very light and very clear, whiter then fresh snow white head, dissolves to leave a tiny bubble film and ,yes, it does leave a fair bit of fine lacing, go figure. Nose is sweet and candy like. Tase is nasty, sweet, sugary,, cardboard, spearmint, yuch yuch yuch. Sort of a mix of regular bud, gatoraide and babies fresh vomit...Stay away from this foul and nasty product.

As I start this review, let me just say this – I am not an impartial reviewer. This B-to-the-E, to me, represents all that is evil in the brewing industry, the American public’s perception of beer, and general alcohol drinking philosophy, and this beer is probably the private wet dream of the marketing executives at Anheuser-Busch. Of course, I HAD to review it :-)

That said, this is one of the most disgusting beers I’ve ever tasted (And no, I have not yet had the pleasure of Crazy Ed’s Cave Creek Chili Beer). Pours a piss yellow color. Almost no carbonation and no head at all. Smells like sugar substitute. Tastes like Red Bull. No joke. Since Red Bull itself is stupid, unless you think you are trendy or you like caffeine buzzes or something, why the hell would ANYONE want their beer to taste like Red Bull? Truly vile.

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Ok...so I found a single can of this at a convenience store on my way to work. I couldn't help but try it...paid $1.65 for the can. Pours from the can a dark clear electric yellow urine color with a foamy head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Can't say it looks all bad. Smell is really quite foul. A mix of grainy, bland Budweiser along with a big candy sweetness (Smarties!?!?). Some medicinal notes and maybe even some bubblegum. Smells like something a 6 year old Harry Potter fan would brew up....ugh.

First sip brings an odd artifical / medicinal candy, fruity sweetness along with a small malt base. The only thing seperating this from any mainstream energy drink is a slight grainy flavor and the fact that it contains alcohol. This is not beer and I don't even think it should really be listed on BA. For a beer it's utter shit. I give it an extra .5 only because the flavor is bearable.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin and quite sugary...tons of tiny carbonation. Just feels odd going down. Too damn sweet. This really is just plain worthless and it's sick to even call this beer. This just goes to show that AB doesn't really give a fuck about beer...all they give a damn about is making a quick buck off the latest trend. I can report that I do feel a bit jacked up...wonder how much caffeine is actually in here. When all is said and done....caffeine, guarana and ginseng have no place in a beer. I can only hope no one has serious health problems from mixing too much alcohol with all these stimulants. Yet another reason to loathe AB.

3.4/5  rDev +78%

I started drinking this at my local bar around 5:30-6 pm because it went on sale for $2.00 a can cuz the owner couldnt move it at a higher price. After about 10-12 of them (cant quite remember) and a few hours later, I was well buzzed. I went home and putzed around for awhile before hitting the sack around 11:30 pm. I awoke at 2:30 am wide awake, less buzzed than before. I could not go to sleep to save my life and felt like I had drank 30 cups of coffee. 2 1/2 hours later i was still wide awake. The moral of this story is dont drink this stuff if your expecting to just pass out after getting bombed , cuz you will just wake up soon after thinking you had passed out!

3.05/5  rDev +59.7%

What?? Is this beer? It's hard to define this along standard style characteristics of beer, but here goes.

Appearance is typically light lager-esque. Nothing particularly interesting or detracting.

Aroma is lightly sweet, resembling cough syrup. It's medicine-like but not in a detracting way.

The flavor is dominated by some sweetness, perhaps also a little medicine-like, but not bad. I can imagine this being especially good on an extremely hot day. It's quite refreshing.

Surprisingly this beer is quite drinkable. Overall it has very little in common with most beers, but it's not bad. If A-B is going to introduce a new drink to the market, I would rather have something entirely different like this, than another tweak on the basic Bud recipe or another adjunct lager.

Alright, I've read about this on BA and a few other web sites in the months since it came out, and I never thought I would review it. But I was in a local liquor store tonight, just checking out the selection, when I saw that they had singles of this 10 ounce wonder available, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to see what it's all about.

Pours a very pale yellow, lite beer pale yellow, with only a small white head of large bubbles after an aggressive pour. This unattractive head on an unattractive beer quickly dropped to nothing. Almost no carbonation- looked flat at first, after a few minutes, a small number of bubbles start popping up (did I use it all up in the pour?).

Aroma- it's easier to say what it doesn't have, than what it does have. No "beer" aroma at all. No hops, no malt, no grain, no yeast. What does it have? Sweet artificial fruit soda like flavor- very similar to the RedBull/RockStar energy drink suite of beverages. But even that's pretty thin.

Flavor- SweetTart-like, fruit (berry), artificial. Where's the beer? These are not beer flavors. At all. Sweet, in the worst possible way. I can't finish this. I think this is my very first score of 1. It's awful. What else can I say?

EDIT (a couple hours later): I didn't finish this "beer", but for some odd reason, I drank most of it before pouring the remainder out. I did this just before planning to go to bed. Two hours later, I'm still wide awake... be afraid, be very very afraid... (or be happy, be very very happy, depending on your goals....)

2.65/5  rDev +38.7%

Light thin barely visable straw hues with sudsy bubbles and a frothy 1/4" cap.

Berry scents of raspberry and cherry.

Spree candy like flavors. Not revolting. Sugar sweet like a grape soda. Benign lollipop.

Crisp feel. But it doesn't impress me like a big talker at the party that others feel fond of, but the bull piles up at my feet.

1.65/5  rDev -13.6%

From notes, consumed on Sat. March 19. Was feeling a little tired so I decided to go for a little pick me up. I tried this.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, near colorless. Urine has more color. No head as served (poured part in glass of ice at bartender's recommendation). Plenty of bubbly action.

Smell: Fruity, citrusy, lively. I did detect a hint of macro beer aroma in there, which was too bad as I was enjoying the aroma.

Taste: Like a bad energy drink, almost sour, like Red Bull, but not as good. This is not beer. Best over ice, because the cold helped kill flavor.

Mouthfeel: One of the better aspects. Light, carbonated, crisp. I did not like the aftertaste it left.

Drinkability: For me not good at all. I purchased a second (I know, I'm an idiot) but I wanted to get others' opinions on this. No guy wanted any part of this. The women were mixed about 50/50. Surprisingly those who like Red Bull, vodka, cranberry (like my wife) did did not like it. A niche drink, probably ultimately doomed to failure, but not before A-B makes a little cash with it.

What to say about this?It's not really a "beer" in the strictest sence. It's honestly not much worse than red bull. I still perfer redbull and vodka, but this isnt much worse. I guess it's not bad if you want to be a wide awake drunk. I'm not a fan of most budweiser beers but i have to give them credit for this where it is due. It isnt that bad. It's no beer drinkers beer at all, do not mistake me, if i am in the mood for a tasty beer, you wont see this in my hand. A lot of people tend to get tired when they drink. You want a buzz but you dont want to be unconcious, it's an understandable occorance. beer and cofee? sorry doesent sound good, beer and soda(stick to captain/jack and coke), no, or beer with caffine, out of the other options it isnt the worst i can think of. While i will not defend this as a "beer" in the strickest sence, it is not that bad for what it is.

2.42/5  rDev +26.7%

I got a few of these as a gift ( cert ). I made sure to try this after my longest day of the week, wed.
It poured ok, clear golden with a nice pillow of soft white head with some fizz. Lace was spotted. The aroma, Wow, not beer-like on the nose. Like sweet spiced club soda. That very Soda-likeness carried to the taste. The taste, sweet spice while backed by a sweet-tart candy sugar.
The Ginseng & Guarana Extract may over-take the taste. Once past that, its not to bad though I don't see myself with more than one at a time. The 6.6% is a nice touch, while the caffeine jolts you to carry on. The mouth is foamy soft with the Ginseng taste and feel left behind. Drinkability, rough.

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I was given a can of this to review, and it does say "beer" on the label, so here goes...

Pale yellow with no head.

Smells like Flintstones chewable vitamins and sweet tarts.

Taste: If only there was a 0.0 ranking. An unpleasant sour cabbage flavor lies in wait under a chemical candy shell. Imagine a sauerkraut flavored cough drop, and you'd be somewhere close.

Watery mouthfeel, completely undrinkable. Red Bull has nothing to fear from this "beer". I give it 4 months to be off the shelves entirely, a flop more monsterous than clear cola.

Bud Extra from Anheuser-Busch