Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004

Previously released as B-to-the-E.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
1.4/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours a super light yellow color, almost clear, with 2 inches of thick fizzy white head. Lots of carbonation.

Smells very much like a glass of black cherry shasta.

Taste is slightly sweet with a hint of black cherry flavor, has a very soda pop like flavor that the smell had suggested. Still has the smallest amount of beer flavor. Overall just plain not good flavor, mixing soda and beer just isn't a good idea. The more of this I drink the less I like it.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

Overall jus plain bad, drinkability is terrible, the closer I get to the bottom of the glass the more I dread the next drink. I just don't see this stuff having a bright future. Even worse tasting than many of the other Flavored Malt Beverages out there.

2.34/5  rDev +22.5%

Obtained via a joke from a waitress at the Brickskellar. I told her, "Bring me either La Fin du Monde or B to the effin' E, please, for I must go clubbin' later on and I must party hard." Well, I didn't exactly say that, but she was amused enough by mine antics to provide the table (consisting of me, Dave, and Gusterfan) with a can which would otherwise go unsold for I highly doubt this offering will sell at all at the Brick. Further proof Mr. Alexander is on kracq, Bob-bless him.

Onto lez bier.

Appearance: Well, I wasn't precisely certain what to expect from this substance visually, but it poured out an über-pale yellow that was crystal clear. Reminiscent of Ultra in color and head retention. Basically, it looks like ginger ale.

Smell: Skittles!!! Artificial fruit flava. "Citrusy" in toto. Crack open either a Red Bull or a pack of aforementioned candy and you get the idea. No aromas of anything traditionally associated with beer.

Taste: Kinda sweet/tart. Other than the initial Willy Wonka like splash of candy goodness, that's it. Doesn't taste bad, but it's far from good. I'm reminded of a guarana-laced hyper-caffeinated bevvie I used to have once in awhile called, I shit you not, Bawls. One of these woke you up, the second sent you to detox. This tastes exactly like it. Regretfully, I can't say it tastes like Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls. That would be at least be an improvement.

Mouthfeel: Honestly, the biggest dissapointment. Overly watery, like a slightly flat club soda.

Drinkability: I shudder to think that I might potentially meet the peeps this drink is marketed to. I can more than handle Joe Macro-pack... but the B-to-tha-mutha-effin'-E drinker needs to be shot before they breed.

Other: Anyone need used glowsticks and an Underworld CD?

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

What? This is beer? My neighbor picked some up and I thought I'd give it a shot. It doesn't look, smell, taste or feel anything like beer. And it seems like beer with caffeine is not wise... "Here drink this you'll stay up drinking till you die!" Anyways had a strong red bull taste, almost fruity, but tasted mainly like a baby diaper. This is garbage.

1.91/5  rDev 0%

Wasn't sure what the proper vessel was in which to serve this beverage, so I just the 10oz can poured it in a rocks glass. Very clear golden color, remarkably like urine. A small, fizzy white head hangs around for about a minute before vanishing forever. Aroma is redolent of raspberries, with the specter of adjunct lager threatening in the back. Not bad, really. As for the taste - Ack! It's like someone poured a red bull (diet red bull, maybe) into a bud light. Fruity, perfumy raspberry and fruit overtones attempt to mask adjunct malt and crappy hops, but fail miserably. The fruit/perfume lingers and develops into a slightly bitter, unpleasant aftertaste. Thin, foamy mouthfeel. I have to say, though, it achieves its stated purpose. After only a few sips, I feel energized. Next time, though, I'll just drink a red bull.

3.04/5  rDev +59.2%

Very interesting brew. Had this one at a biker/hard rock bar in Hotlanta. It was given to me for free, so I liked the price. Had a fruity smell, with a kind of flat beer smell infused. Something totally original, so I give it a 3.5. The taste was just as if someone put Red Bull in a beer. Not a good beer, but something like Bud. Though Bud usually has a hoppier taste than it's meglobrew cohorts, it was weakend a bit by the energy drink. I don't think I could drink a whole 6er of it, but I might try it again.

1.41/5  rDev -26.2%

Presentation: 10 oz can with a “Born On Date” on the bottom of the can. Hmmm … speed and alcohol, not a good mix. $1.75 a pop or $5.50 a 4-pack … at least it is cheaper than Red Bull.

Appearance: A sparkling undesirable yellow color with a faint white lace.

Smell: Artificial candy sweetness with a faint medicinal quality, smell of chewable zinc lozenges.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Decent crispness over a light body that holds some unnatural dextrin in the mouth feel. Vague beer flavor, nasty herbal flavors flail around chaotically.

Drinkability & Notes: Why? You may as well drink Red Bull & Vodka … this stuff is horrific. I am waiting to hear of the first OD on this stuff …

2.96/5  rDev +55%

I like it! Since there are no stylistic guidelines to compare it to, and not much in the way of comprable brands yet, this beer needs to be jusdged completely hedonistically. The appearance is surprisingly good with a head that holds better than Budweiser and leaves some very nice lacing about the glass! The very pale straw gold is reminiscent of white wine or apple cider; and its tiny effervescent bubbles rise in steadily rising flumes that give it a champagne-like appearance.... at least there's something to watch! The nose is fruity and candyish, similar to a sweet-tart or children's vitamin tablet - and the taste is the same! There is a little bit of a pear and apple-like flavor that's reminiscent of an English perry. No hops ever come into play; and this is more like a malternative or wine cooler than it is beer; but the aroma and the flavor are impeccably clean and it's clearly very well made. The body is light, bordering on medium; and it's effervescent carbonation gives the tongue a gentle zest. It's quite one-sided, however, and tends to leave a chalky feeling on your teeth and mouth, cutting down on its drinkability. As a novelty refresher, it's interesting and gets the job done. And it's certainly better tasting than Red Bull! As a "beer" it tanks, but I don't think you can really judge it as a beer. It's really something else altogether. Fans of cider and perry might like this one.

« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »