Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -8.4%

JohneHoodlum, Dec 06, 2011

InspectorBob, Nov 29, 2011

chcfan, Nov 28, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -24.1%

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!!

I don't think they make this anymore

DUBinMIA, Aug 01, 2011
2.13/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My goodness I was happy when I heard someone I knew found a stash of old sampler can and this was it. Poured from 6oz can...best by date of 6-14-06. Shared with SuperNova777 and VinnieVanGogh

A- Poured a funky looking energy drink yellow. Half finger white head pops up and dies just as quick. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- The smelled like stale raspberry and had this distinct wet grain mixed with energy drink scent as well. The alcohol wasn't really there in the ending like I thought it was going to be. To be honest I thought this was going to smell a lot worse than what it did. Just smelled stale and sweet overall with a hint of alcohol (which was sweet) in the ending.

T- Stale raspberry hits your palate first with a light wet grain flavor that get masked quickly by the raspberry flavor. Midway through you can taste what seems like a light Bud flavor which once again gets overtaken by that stale raspberry flavor. Sweet like energy drink flavor on the backend with a hint of sweet alcohol finished this bastard up.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was still good for I suppose this style was after all these years. Stale raspberry and energy drink flavor is all I could taste on the palate and long into the aftertaste with sweet alcohol as being in the aftertaste. Flavors were kind of a mess with this beer which I expected to be honest with not only the brewery but also the age. I can't say there were any off flavors because they all tasted like off flavors in this one. No alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This just tasted like an old energy drink to me. No real standout flavors which made me think beer at all. I wasn't impressed with this beer but then at the same time I wasn't not impressed...does that make sense??

alleykatking, May 09, 2011
1.95/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Received beer from friend Chris' "beer" fridge and had never seen this type of Bud product so I decided to try it out. Poured from a 10 oz can into my Schlafly Pint Glass and has a "08311" date on bottom.

Appearance- A pale, yellow color with huge carbonation bubbles throughout. Has a 1/4 finger of head that died down quickly.

Smell- First chance I took, it was like a bottle of Cough Medicine was put up to my noise... Cherry flavored. Horrible! There were hints of cotton candy or an extremely sugary candy or even raspberry but this was then killed with the medicine smell!

Taste- Starts with a huge blue or white raspberry taste (almost like an ICEE) and then the Red Bull/Smirnoff drink comes to mind. Can't say that this is really a beer! And better yet, wondering how they put this one in the herbed/spiced beer category? Not a bad flavor but has no right being called a beer.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, and then has the cough syrup finish... I hate this part of this beer. The huge amount of carbonation doesn't help it either!

Overall- I would rather be drinking a 3 Olives/Red Bull if I had the choice... Have to say that this wasn't what I was expecting even though the can says "Beer with The Natural Flavor of Raspberry". The ABV's are rather high as well on this beer. Very much of a malt beverage for the ladies and will be downing the rest of this half pint.

DCon, Apr 22, 2011
1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pale clear coloration, small bit of froth that dissipated nearly instantaneously. No lacing.

S - Smells odd, I can't place my finger on what this is, but it reminds me of a fruit rollup.

T - Mother of God this is offensive. Cranberry juice? I'm not sure, but it tastes like a light lager with fruit juice and battery acid mixed together.

M - Sharp carbonation and a light body. If not for the horrible aftertaste I'd say it was pleasantly crisp. Yet again, the flavor ruins the feel.

D - No, simply no.

PhageLab, Jan 07, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

The only thing keeping this from being the worst beer I've tasted is the absense of skunk.

A- Weak, thin pale yellow with thin white head, no retention and no lacing.

S- corn, somthing fruity, raspberry?, damp hay, metallic tones

T- Follows the nose with the corn, faint fruit, hay and metallic tones. Strong taste of cardboard and light malts.

M- Thin, soda like, watery,

D- Bland, overly carbonated, and watery. Drain pour.

JayS2629, Jan 02, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a straw color with a little white head and some small lacing on the glass. Smells like bleach cleaner with raspberry puree in there. Tastes like water with a raspberry smashed up at the bottom. Lots of carbonation, the mouthfeel is way too thin. Drinkability is pretty low.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 20, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -11%

Two more "options" to end the night if you want to call them that. What an interesting beer day, with some of the best I have had starting the day/night, and finishing it late in the evening with two more off the bottom list.

This one actually came to me as a gag extra a couple months back and had been sitting in the fridge as i was going to trick someone with it as a tasting, but since its now on here, I guess i will suck it up. i was planning on staying up late so figured i would use this to power me through my 3 hour video game session, wow, the depths i go to. cracked the can around 10pm, an i did stay up till around four, but soo not worth it.

not much differnet in the pour from what i was expecting, but an odd aroma comes through. the normal wet hay, corn but a touch of light fruit an something, not sure what, almost like dry cat food smell coming out of it. taste is, ehh. its different i will give it that, but just does not go anywhere. light fruity dryness in the finish but that was about it.

overall not sure if this is beer, energy, fruit, no clue, but glad it is not around as this could get some stupid people in a heep of trouble.

mikesgroove, Aug 14, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Promotional beer giveaway. I really need to stop falling for this "FREE BEER" gag. Because it results in a physical gag.

Beer drank from the can. I had to. Don't say anything. From what I can tell, its moderately carbonated, clear and pale yellow. OK, it LOOKS like beer. The description on this 10 ounce can makes it sound like trash though.

Smells like a bottle of Comet, the cleaner. GROSS!

Taste...close to the worst beer on the planet. Its sweet for no reason, it has a horrid aftertaste. I'm just going to pour it out. Forget this.

drabmuh, Jun 16, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

I CAN't believe what they will put into a CAN and call it "beer"! The CAN reads "Beer with the natural flavor of raspberry; Beer with something extra; 6.6% Alc./Vol." and yet along the top of the CAN, it reads "Contains Alcohol"! So all of the other labeling was not enough?!? WTF, over? The CANQuest rolls along ...

I got a nice two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention off of the pour. Raspberry? More like raspberry perfume. I could smell it immediately and it was an obvious case of better living through chemistry - NO raspberries were harmed in the production of this beer. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It brightened this otherwise dull, snowy afternoon, allowing me to write something positive. Mouthfeel was abrasive on the tongue, thanks to both its carbonation and the candy-like flavor imparted by something extra. Gadzooks, but the taste was awful! It was reminiscent of Razzles candy from when I was a kid, but at 6.6 ABV, it was not candy. The finish left me with a regret so profound that I CANnot put it into words. This is definitely one to be avoided.

woodychandler, Feb 10, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

Picked up a four pack because...well...Woodychandler does want every can, and I'm a sucker for helping on his CANquest.

A - Poured out of the can into my Stone pint glass. The gargoyle is actually screaming at me right now in pure anger. The color is very very light yellow, similar to bud light. Holding it up to my screen, I can still read the text on this page. Poured with two fingers of head which died faster than my enthusiasm for this beer.

S - Smells dead on Low-Carb Monster (hope Hansen isn't suing me for the comparison). Which wouldn't be an unpleasant smell except for the strong sour/chemical smell at the end. I sense this was what happened when AB realized that they were making too much money and wanted some of their customers to become Miller drinkers.

T - This tastes like a black and tan with red bull and Natural Light. Bleh. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I have ever had.

M - Bad. Watery, thin, barely carbonated, and a chemical bite at the end that makes me dread another sip.

D - If you hold your nose and pour it down your throat, you could drink the entire can. However, after about 2 sips, this is facing the high probability of a drain pour.

The message we can take from this beer relates to the Beer Wars movie. Caffeinated beer like this is terrible. AB didn't kill Moonshot. Moonshot killed Moonshot.

mwa423, Jan 31, 2010