Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004

Previously released as B-to-the-E.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros

This beer pours out of the can with a yellowish color and a minimal amount of foam that is bubbly and falls apart very quickly. Based on appearance alone, I would think I had just poured myself a bottle of Budweiser. The aroma of this beer is fruity, like a combination blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, and perhaps some strawberry. The body of the beer is thin, with flavors of light grain. But more than anything, this beer tastes like fruit- flavored candy. Herbs are present and so is caffeine, but you would never know based on the taste. There is a certain level of tartness, but the beer still remains sweet and slightly grainy.

2.44/5  rDev +27.1%

A - Pale straw color with some slowly rising tiny bubbles topped by a thick and creamy two finger head. Some sea-foam lace sticks to the glass, and the head never dropped below a quarter inch cap in the ten minutes it took me to drink this. This looks far superior to regular Budweiser, and it's one of the best looking macro lagers that I've seen. Good head retention, clear with some nice color. Ain't bad lookin'.

S - Candy coated jolly-rancher sweetness is all I smell at first, no real beer like notes at all. Doesn't smell bad, it just smells artificial and not at all like beer made with beer ingredients. Candy fruity raspberry and maybe black cherry.

T - Just like the nose, the flavor is one dimensional and artificial. Wine cooler jolly rancher sugar coated nastiness. Tastes a lot like Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss or a wine cooler...so, of course my fiance loved this one. Candy, candy, candy. This is all apple Jolly Rancher.

M - This would be very thirst quenching if it weren't for the super sweet palate coating sugar.

D - It's not all bad as a beverage, but as a beer it's a joke. This is barely drinkable for me...I think I'll let my girl finish this one for me (since I usually finish her dinner for her it seems like a fair trade). Girls (sorry all you real beer girls...I love you, but most girls dig fruity malternatives) will love this.

This is not my style, and arguably not really a beer (at least in terms of taste), but this is head and shoulders above swill like Bacardi Raz or a wine cooler. Plus it has caffeine! This has all night pillow fight party written all over it.

Now called "Bud Extra" the motto: "Beer with something different" yeah...right.

10 oz twist-off bottle with a "born" on date of 2/5/07

AP: This is the thinnest, palest "beer" I've ever seen, looks like anorexic ginger ale with less fizz. Very little carbonation fails to create a head at all and only makes a thin-white soda-like fizzy head. Looks like mildly fizzy apple juice.

nose: All I can smell is the "natural" raspberry additive and something rusty and metallic.

flavor: wow, this is really terrible. a highly sweet raspberry sweetness with crushed up tylenol-like bitterness that is most likely caused by the Guarana becuase most "Energy" drinks I've ever had that has it in it's ingredients has a similar effect. It really is an unlpeasant assualt on your taste buds because of the sweet n' Lo-like bitterness that made me cringe. There is no sign of real beer flavor here at all...This is a Frankenstien's monster, it's hard to beleive this got past the perverbial drawing board; so to speak.

Feel: mildly fizzy, dull and lifeless. This is a zombie. an un-godly creation.

DA: This travesty should be avoided.

1.55/5  rDev -19.3%

Evidently somebody was trying to jump on the red bull energy with alcohol type of bandwagon, well I had to try it and give it a fair shake. Appears a lgiht pale golden tone very urine esque in appearance to be nice and PG I wil say apple juice with a white fizzy head dwindles oh so quickly. Aromatics are tart fruity green apple Jolly Rancher smell definitely a chick alco pop more than a beer smell to me. Flavor not very beer like a hint of corn and rice sweetness overpowered by tart citric fruity notes including cherry and green apple along with some Taurine??? Mouthfeel is light bodied mildly syurpy textured with bitey gag inducing carbonation. Drinkability, energy drink do you need some energy get a Red Bull or other widely available stimulant why mix your upper and the downer didn't health class tell us never to do this.

2.01/5  rDev +4.7%

My wife came home with a 4 pack of these from the grocery store.

I gave it a 3 for appearance because I don't know what this style should look like?
To me it looked the same as the fake champagne (sparkling apple juice) I used to get for my kids on New Year's Eve.

It smells like sparkling apple juice

It tastes odd, strange, weird!

It's fizzy and bitter.

I didn't like this, my wife drank two and she yapped nonsense for over an hour. I gave her a very strong vodka and cranberry as a nightcap... thank goodness, she finally shut up!

3.69/5  rDev +92.2%

tastes just like a red bull or something. I am used to those because I drink them to stay alert on long trips. If you can stand or like energy drinks like red bull, than this for you. Has a fruity red bullish smell and flavor. I finished mine pretty fast. It wasn't as bad as everyone said it was going to be.

2.03/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours into the pint glass a bright yellow with an orange tint with a moderate amount of carbonation. One-finger head of white foam that fades quickly leaving no lacing and no cap/ring. Nose of rosy perfume and a sort of a water-down orange punch scent. Tastes of a weak “store brand” orange punch, you know, the really cheap kind in the plastic bottle with the twist-off plastic cap. Perfumy and very simplistic. Mouth is semi-bubbly and somewhat viscous with a good liquid feel. Sadly, I think this is this “beer’s” strongest point. Drinkability: ugh! Why?

Overall: As an alcoholic energy drink, it’s OK. I can see twenty-somethings chugging these at the trendiest night spots. As a beer, it’s godawful, tasting like someone mixed a couple tablespoons of Coors Light in a bottle of generic orange drink. Avoid.

2.53/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thought I'd give this a try out of curiosity and I have an occasional energy drink (non-alcoholic) at work and some taste ok. From the 16fl.oz. can with a born on date of 17APR06 pours a light bright brass (almost clear) with a white bubble foam head of 1/2 inch. The head fades fast, a little lacing occurs and a steady stream of carbonation bubbles from below.

The smell is a sweet Kool-Aid type aroma, kinda tutti-fruity and candy like. It doesn't smell like beer, can't really detect any malt or hops at all.

The taste is very much like the smell with some of the E coming thruogh, much like an energy drink, kind of a multi-vitamin in Finstones form. I really can't taste much of a beer flavor with all the sweetness and synthetic fruit flavors going on here. It tastes ok but, as a beer...it tastes more like a soda-pop than a beer.

The mouthfeel is somewhat smooth and cream like that gets run over by an astringent, tangy bitter bite that makes your mouth pucker. A fairly blunt vitamin taste of a finish.

Too me, I'm thinkin wine-cooler or flavored malt beverave, drinkable but it's hard to see this as being beer, especially taste-wise. Tastes pretty average as an energy drink per se.

2.28/5  rDev +18.8%

I needed a pick-me-up and I wanted a beer. Had one of these in the fridge. Seemed like a logical choice... Pours out to a light yellow color with a 1 inch head of white foam. No lace. High levels of carbonation, with bubbles streaming up form the bottom of the glass. Aromas of...genseng and malt, mixed with a sweet artificial fruity flavor. Taste was not enjoyable; sour apples, bland wet malt, some herbs. I guess for what it is it's not totally disgusting, but this isn't beer. More like a malternative that threw up beer after a Budweiser binge. Mouthfeel was zesty and light. Drinkability would be better if it wasn't so astringent tasting. If your looking for a cider, this may fill in the void. But if you want a beer, look elsewhere for satisfaction...

1.54/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a three finger, white head that quickly fades to nothing leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale yellow color. Traces of carbonation and very light bodied. Sweet fruity nose. Starts sweet from added flavors not from malt, no hint of hops or malts, higher ABV is not noticeable. A-B can make good beer if they really try (Bare Knuckle stout) but this doesn't taste or look like beer. Pricey - $5.49 for a 4-pak of 10oz bottles from Irving Blue Canoe Concord, NH.

1.72/5  rDev -10.4%

I definitely agree with the saying “don’t knock it ‘til you try it”. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised by trying some things I normally wouldn’t even try. Like this burger joint near my work that sells steamed cheeseburgers. Sounds kind of wrong, but they actually were quite tasty! So I saw a bottle of this stuff and said what the hell, I’ll give it a shot.

Pours a clear, medium-pale straw with a small, white, foamy, quickly diminishing soda-like head. Smells of ginseng, fruit and cereal. Taste like… is this even beer? Fruit and ginseng with a bready yeast finish. It has a medium-thin body, sticky texture and some lively carbonation. This thing is way too sweet. It tastes like an energy drink (I’m thinking Donkey Kick) with a few shots of beer in it.

Well, there. I tried it. Now I can knock it. I’m not impressed at all and find this beer rather offensive. A-B has truly sold any last remnants of its soul with this one. But then again if they want to market something to get people liquored up but still energized without having to be burdened by the taste of beer, then this beer is for them. I’m impressed by how much alcohol they hid in this thing, too. I could see this being a big hit among the college chicks that frequent certain dance clubs in this town: keeps them dancing through the night while lowering any inhibitions they might have left and gives them enough energy for that random hook-up after the bars close. Soulless beer for soulless chicks. But notice I said chicks, not women. I differentiate between the two. Women will probably hate this stuff. My wife took a sip that was quickly followed by “Echk! What the hell is that crap?! That’s revolting!” I love my wife.

1.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a "beer" that literally made me sick to my stomach... A feeling that lasted for days after I had it. No need to drink in excess to have that happen here.

At first, it wasn't so bad. I don't mind the occasional energy drink so I thought the taste was unique and even sort of juicy. Even the smell was reminiscent of a juice or fruit drink. It went down fairly smoothly so I had two. Afterwards, the taste it left in my mouth was extremely unappealing.

Honestly, I didn't get any kind of energy jolt from it. I just got a strange feeling in my stomach! A friend who also had one reported similar feelings.

In sum, this did not taste like a beer, left an aftertaste that was less than desirable, did not produce the desired "energy" effect, and as an added bonus, left me feeling quite ill.

2.85/5  rDev +48.4%

This does not look, taste, smell, feel, or drink like beer. It is alcoholic Red Bull. If you LOVE Red Bull the way I do you will actually find this cheap-ass beverage to be palatable. It has a bit of juicyfruit and straight sugar taste. Comparing this to other beers in the style it is poor in ranking but thinking only of the moment, it was almost drinkable. I found it to be like drinking Red Bull and Bud.
Most people probably think that'll make them puke. But if you like energy drinks and pure sugar then fine give it a shot its quite unique.

Hope this is helpful.

2.71/5  rDev +41.1%

This is more like a cider than anything. It is fairly clear with just a hint of yellow. There was little head. The smell is like a spiced apple cider. The taste reveals some of the herbal notes. The taste is a little like cider too. The mouthfeel is actually pretty smooth. Not much harshness that I expected. The drinkability is hard to judge. I could drink more but do I really want to be wired AND sloshed?? I would take one of these above a regular Bud.

1.08/5  rDev -43.8%

Purchased this in a ten ounce can. This beer pours a yellow color. It has a strong floral smell and a sweet taste. I really don't care for this beer, I am having a difficult time getting through the entire ten ounce can. It's way too sweet for my taste. I would not buy this again and would not recommend it. B to the Nasty would be more like it.

2.25/5  rDev +17.2%

Tried this for the first time over the holiday weekend as I needed a pick me up after dinner. Hoping it would have a Red Bull like effect, but it did not.

A- very light yellow, with about 1/2 inch of head

S- very fruity, kinda smelled like a fancy soap.

T- Not like any beer I have ever tried before, to me, it tasted like flowers....

M-light, but seemed over carbinated

D-didn't like the taste, would not have another

I didn't like this beer at all. Too fruit like for my taste

1.25/5  rDev -34.9%

Got this for free so I figured what the hell I might as well try it and review it.

Very pale color with a small head. No lacing.

Aroma is somewhat sour and herbal and, honestly quite nasty.

Somehow the flavor was much, much worse. Nothing but nasty medicinal flavors and a corn syrup like sweetness.

Somehow the aftertaste was even worse leaving me with a sticky artificial sweetener taste in my mouth. Pop like in texture.

This could be one of the worst things I have ever tried. I don't mind Sparks but this is much worse. Just get a Vodka/Red Bull.

The only reason why I'd ever considering trying this again was if my energy levels were on zero and I was at a bar and somebody gave this to me for free. I still might pass.

2.82/5  rDev +46.9%

The color is a shiny pale yellow with a fairly high level of carbonation. Head is small and foamy. The aroma has an sweet, artificial fruity smell that doesn't really compare to anything that I've had before. The taste has more of the same, an odd artificial fruity flavor that is sweet, but has an edge of tartness. I think I may have also noticed a trace of grainy beer flavor in the finish. After trying this, I don't consider it a beer, however for a malt beverage I found it pretty tasty. It sure beats a wine cooler. Just don't expect beer.

3.03/5  rDev +57.8%

poured a pale yellow color, almost like apple juice. No head to be found, and swirling can't raise one. Smell is very fruity (raspberries), and while pleasant, it is a bit overstated. Taste follows through with the fruitiness, very similiar, if not identical, to a beer or wine cooler. Finish is more fruit, more sweetness. While enjoyable, I think this should fall under the category of malternatives. Just my opinion.

1.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

10oz can: I broke down and tried one of these "beers". It look like a beer, with a huge, fizzy white head that dropped to nothing almost immediately. The color is a bit different from your standard yellow. It almost has an apple juice look to it. The aroma is actually a bit sweet, somewhat candy-like. No hints of anything beer-like. It tastes kind of corn syrup sweet, with a hint of fizziness on the tongue. Again, no evidence of beer. I guess there is a market for this, but it isn’t beer drinkers.

3.48/5  rDev +81.3%

B^E pours an extremely pale, watery yellow, capped by a big, fluffy head--rather incongruous when you sniff it and get an intense hit of berries; most berry beers are the color of berries, but not this one. The berry nose is rather grossly sweet, the Kiddie Cocktail version of fruit. The taste, though, is surprisingly...beery. I opened my little ten-ounce bottle figuring that this was going to be well nigh undrinkable, but after the initial berry assault, there's a definite, slightly toasted malt flavor. To be honest, it shocked me how palatable B^E was. I'm still shaking my head. One was definitely enough, and I'm feeling no energy boost, but still...

3.67/5  rDev +91.1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent with a tart herbal aroma. It smells like a Zima. The taste is good. It has a light pale malt flavor with a tart herbal finish. It's smooth and refreshing; not much different from most energy drinks. I could drink this more than regular Bud. It does leave a slight lager mustiness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is something new. I'm not going crazy for it, but I would drink this again if I needed a boost.

2.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours with an off yellow body, faint white head with pretty poor retention

Smell, odd to say the least...basically smells like red bull, more or less....isnt much else apart from maybe a hint of malt in the background

Taste, odd energy drink fizziness, slightly sour (we arent talking gueuze sour but just....sour), some hint of artificial fruit flavouring. The finish is the only hint that this may be a beer, dry and bud like on the finish

An oddity, i'd heard many things about this guff on BA, and when i saw it in my local good retailer i thought....i have to try, just to see how bad it is. Its not awful in the sense i could stomach a bottle, but it doesnt taste like beer....its basically an energy drink with a splash of bud. BTW, it appears that the UK stuff is only 5%, rather than 6.6

1.08/5  rDev -43.8%

I found this at a gas station late one night while doing some quick shopping. It was in one of those suctioned racks on the inside of the cooler door, and was sold in individual 10oz cans.

B-E is one in a seemingly long line of new beers that are trying to reach new markets by including an "upper" such as caffeine into their brew. In this case, it goes a step beyond, incorporating not just caffeine, but also ginseng and guarana, two herbs commonly found in all canned energy drinks.

Imagine mixing equal parts Bud, Red Bull, and garbage water, and you'll get both the taste and smell of this "beer." To be a bit more descriptive, it tastes like someone mixed Bud with a generic and cheap (think cheaper than that Hansen's crap) energy drink. You can literally taste both flavors seperately with no blending whatsoever.

The predominant "tart" flavor that A-B claims harkens to blackberry, raspberry and cherry, comes from guarana. Guarana is a Brazilian berry that acts much like caffeine (although without that shaky feeling caffeine gives) and has a strong flavor similar to generic red soda (red pop). You may've tried it once in a failed Pepsi product called Josta.

Had they eliminated this one very strongly flavored ingredient, I think it would be a lot more passable as a beer. Ginseng doesn't have a strong flavor (or any flavor as far as I know), and would've meshed with the beer enough to give you a beer taste.

Mouthfeel is harsh. It felt like it had a greater degree of carbonation than beer or even your typical soda.

Smell wise it smelled like both Red Bull and Bud mixed into a can.

If you like Budweiser and you like Red Bull energy drink, then you may like this beer. I am OK with Bud and I use Red Bull when I need it, but I don't like this beer.

I'd like to be more constructive, but I can't. This is an expirament at marketing, and it is a poor one. I cannot recommend it whatsoever.

1.06/5  rDev -44.8%

This "beer" looks like very light beer but other than that, it is not a great beverage. I'd rather have a Red Bull or AMP when I want an energy drink, and a beer (other than Bud, if it's on my dime) when I want a beer. I actually like that funky ginseng and guarana twang in an energy drink, but might it fare better in a bittersweet, thicker beer? Ther emight be hope yet for those herbal ingredients in a more robust base style.

OK, to keep this review legal, here are the vitals:
Color: very pale. Head/Carb: poor foam retention lower carbonation than regular Bud. Flavor: Red Bull type flavor. Mouthfeel: (See Budweiser) Finish: sickly, artificially sweet. Ewww.

Bud Extra from Anheuser-Busch