2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Extra - Anheuser-Busch

Bud ExtraBud Extra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

(Beer added by: MJR on 11-06-2004)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 154 | Reviews: 119 | Show All Ratings:
Bumpon10s

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Apperance: The oddest color I've seen for a beer, is it green? Is it orange? I'm not really to sure.

Smell: Just like a Red Bull with a detectable alcohol smell.

Taste: It is very much simply mixing a Budweiser ICE and a Red Bull, and to tell the truth I don't like either.

Mouthfeel: This beer hurt, it actually caused pain to my mouth. So far the first and only beer I can say that of.

Drinkability: One is all you'll be able to handle. I shared this with a group of friend's, and I was the only one able to finish it, it is not worth tasting again.

I remember anticpating this beer before it came out thinking it may prove to be interesting. It was, but not in a good way. I don't bark on most beers, but single handedly the worst "beer" to ever cross my mouth. The redeeming factor being in that it gets you "drunk". I've never considered a beer a tool to be intoxicated, but some do, and for them this would be up their alley.

09-03-2005 01:13:22 | More by Bumpon10s
SaCkErZ9

1.55/5  rDev -18.8%

You know how when you are a kid and you steal one of your dads Miller Lites from the fridge but the only way you can drink it is to add candy or sugar or sweet tarts? Thats what this is, with 22% beer and 78% cnady and sugar and jolly ranchers. An immediate sweet candy smell followed by a huge candy taste. Sticks to your mouth like Caro syrup. Lots of carbonation breaks that mouthfeel up a bit, but not enough. Surprisingly, I could see people drinking this "beer". It kind of tastes like beer but not really, it has caffeine, and is sugary. Good for 11 and 12 year old BA newcomers but not for anyone else.

08-30-2005 20:30:32 | More by SaCkErZ9
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev +11.5%

B-to-the-E.
A hot, lazy summer afternoon, what a better time to do a beer taste test. Have been acumulating some of these new trendy caffeine/guarana malt beverages. Side by side tasting of Molson Kick, Labatt Shok, and Budweiser BE.
B to the E comes in a 10 oz can (thanks for bringing this back from the recent trip to st. Louis). "Beer with something extra" - caffeine, ginseng and guarana extract and natural flavor.
Color is clear and yellowy (a slightly lighter color than Kick), with a sticky white head. The foam lasted long enough to leave some sticky lace down the glass. Overly sweet smell of berries, not as pronouced as Shok, but fresh clean raspberry aroma - reminded me of a berry cooler. The taste is very sweet, but with no bitterness trying to balance. It is cloyingly sweet with a flavor that matches the berry smells. Like Shok, it left a strange metallic-like aftertaste. Mouthfeel starts is full and somewhat creamy, but leaves a sticky feling in your mouth. Didn't really feel any aftereaffects of the caffeine. Although I didn't really like it, the berry smell and flavor are there, and stay all the way through, there is no mistake of what it is supposed to be. Of the 3, this was judged to finish in the middle, similar to Shok, but not the poor aftertaste. Now I can say I have tried out these new fad flavored beer

08-29-2005 03:05:47 | More by BigBry
cubedbee

Maryland

1.98/5  rDev +3.7%

Local liquor store had these in single cans, so I had to give it a try. Pours an extremely pale faded yellow with a brief burst of fizzy head that disappears immediately. Smell is fruity tartness--almost exactly like Sweet Tart candies. Tastes a lot like a redbull--nasty oversweet artificial fruit flavor with the unpleasant guarana/ginseng bite. Doesn't really taste like beer at all. Mouthfeel was very thin and fizzy like a soda. This is a horrible beverage. As a beer it fails completely. As an energy drink it is somewhat adequate, but even then there are much better tasting alternatives such as Sparks or an Amp and vodka.

08-24-2005 03:33:38 | More by cubedbee
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Strange brew indeed. Sorta cidery, reisling, mead like. In appearance, it's bubbly with a nice head. Aromas are tart and herbal. Mildly sweet and tart. Flavors of cider, white wine, and fruits of peaches, pears, and apples. Not as grainy as you'd think. Mildly tart and sour. Spicy and herbal like a ginsing tea. Light body that remains carbonated. Finishes mildly alcoholic and dry. It tastes vaguely of beer. Maybe a biend of a beer and chardonay.

08-11-2005 21:17:52 | More by BEERchitect
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

I'm not sure what I expected this stuff to look like, but it's a dead ringer for Bud Light. Pale straw yellow with a soft, off-white head that has better persistence than I remember for the light beer. The cap is cottony in texture and leaves little wisps of foam behind. So far, nothing out of the ordinary.

It doesn't smell like beer, but then I didn't expect that it would. It smells like blue raspberry candy or a similarly flavored sno-cone. I would say that it smells like an alcopop, but I have almost no experience with those and it doesn't strike me as an alcoholic beverage at all (I think that's the idea). It isn't an unpleasant aroma, but when judged as beer, it's vile.

B-to-the-E tastes nothing at all like beer until after all of the berry dreck has faded away. It starts out like blueberry-raspberry soda with an odd underflavor that I can't place. Might that be the ginseng and/or the guarana? It also tastes like it needs salt, like those occasional sodas (pops in the Midwest) that boast of low or no sodium, but taste like crap as a result.

As noted, there's a faint, cheap lager-like flavor on the finish that isn't an improvement on what it replaced. That aspect of the flavor makes it recognizable as beer, but it's still bad, execrable beer (looks like I've discovered what the 'B' and the 'E' stand for). The Anheuser-Busch website says this product "takes beer to the next level". I agree... the next level down.

The mouthfeel is an odd one. It's slightly syrupythick and retains a progressively lightening slickness all the way to the finish. There's nothing abnormal about the carbonation until it dies a sudden death when beer leaves mouth, making the ending seem unnaturally flat and lifeless. I can definitely feel the caffeine and guarana buzz, a much less pleasant sensation that the usual mellowing from real beer. This Red Bull(shit) is for the younger generation. I'll stick with ethanol, thanks.

Bad-to-the-Execrable is pretty much what I expected, except for the appearance. As always with quasi-beer beverages, I'm forced to decide whether to judge them on their merits alone or through a 'beer lens'. I've decided on the latter, although it wouldn't fare much better if I'd decided on the former. Purely and simply, this is an affront to beer. I would say that A-B should be ashamed to foist this concoction on the beer drinking public, but it's obvious, given their product line, that they no longer have the capacity to feel shame.

07-07-2005 13:48:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
Sixpack595

2.45/5  rDev +28.3%

Wow, this is a bad beer. It tastes like a mixture of Pimpjuice (vile stuff) and Mich Ultra. Its got typical macro flavor mixed with berry and citrus in a most unpleasant manner. I will drink Red Bull and Vodka, I will drink Sparks, I will not drink another can of BE. Its not beer.

07-03-2005 00:06:45 | More by Sixpack595
PopeDX

3.85/5  rDev +101.6%

Bah, this is a "it gets slagged too much, so I'm reviewing it" review. I've said it before, and I'll say it a million other times:

It ain't beer, but for what it is, it ain't bad.

If you consider it's targeted for your average clubbing Red Bull and vodka drinker and not your average Dark Lord swiller, one almost has to give credit to AB for taking market share from liquor and putting it in beer.

It's a sweet, fruity, fizzy drink, obviously much closer to soda than beer. Goes down real easily, except it started getting to me a little bit by the end of the can. In the appropriate circumstance I'd easily knock a few of these back. Just not when I want a beer.

06-27-2005 16:46:13 | More by PopeDX
Vancer

1.63/5  rDev -14.7%

WTF is this stuff? It ain’t no brew, that’s for sure. Damn, just raspberry soda in the smell and taste, with alcohol and caffeine mixed in for good measure. Dinky little 10oz bottle. I mean, it wasn’t really drinkable, after one or two, the sweetness will make ya sick. Another alocopop for the dumbed down masses. College boys and girls will luv it.

06-20-2005 18:46:12 | More by Vancer
Beastdog75

2.73/5  rDev +42.9%

I saw this available in single cans, so I gave in and decided to pick this up to see what all the fuss was about. B-e, or B to the E, is supposed to be like a beer energy drink. To me, this was mostly all energy drink and no beer. The 10 oz. can reminded me of Red Bull, but the similarities did not stop outside the can.

B-e pours a very pale straw color which can almost be considered "white." A finger of fizzy foam forms and disappears in about 30 seconds. The first thing I noticed about the aroma was that there was a musty adjuncty smell (no surprise, I've encountered that with other Anheuser-Busch products). Some sweet berry and citrus aromas arrived after that. The mouthfeel was thin and spritzy (very soda-like). When I took note of the flavor, it was like I was drinking a Red Bull. A sugary sweet citrus flavor dominated and had some tanginess to it. I noticed a little bit of a beer-like breadiness in there. No hop presence whatsoever. The aftertaste had more of that citric tanginess and surprisingly, some cooked veggie/DMS flavors. In the end, there is some light alcoholic warmth. The only beer-like qualities here were the off-flavors you'd find in low quality macros. Somewhat ironic...

As a beer, I would rate this poorly, but as a beverage I found it to be drinkable. I don't think I would pay for one of these (I certainly wouldn't order it at a bar), but I wouldn't turn one down. As an alcopop, it passes but it fails miserably as a beer.

06-14-2005 02:56:56 | More by Beastdog75
packetknife

Idaho

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I guess you're either a Red Bull or SoBE No Fear type of person or you're not. I'm not. I can't describe this beer other than saying it's like somebody took Budweiser and mixed in a few packets of Splenda and a service of Red Bull. It's truly a hideous thing to do to a beer and if you're in need of an upper, don't drink beer in the first place. This is just wrong and I really detest it.

The mouthfeel was ~sticket~, residual.. but nothing I haven't experienced with other beers. And it looks like a pretty average light beer. Otherwise it's flat-out disgusting.

06-11-2005 01:47:50 | More by packetknife
mentor

3.68/5  rDev +92.7%

Okay, let's do this and be done with it. I'm reviewing this because I was surprisingly impressed with a bottle of Michelob this past weekend (I gave it a 2.95).

10 oz can obtained from a gas station as a 'spur of the moment' purchase. Born on date reads 11Feb05 HC70.

Pours a fluffy white one-finger head over a crystal clear and very bleached out pale liquid. Smells candy sweet during the pour. Upon closer inspection, it smells like diluted Hi-C tropical fruit juice. Nothing else can penetrate the fruit upon further attempts. Tastes like it smells. Raspberries predominate and lend a sour tinge to the aftertaste that mixes pretty well with the fine carbonation that continues to seed off my tastebuds long after the 'beer' has been swallowed. Also has a subtle citrusy character, like the flavor you get when chewing on an orange vitamin C tablet. This 'beer' is very wet sweet, but not quite so sweet as tropical fruit juice. I guess this is best described as a raspberry wine cooler with a supporting orange background. About as one-dimenstional as it gets, but actually and enjoyable beverage. Medium-light body and mildy carbonated.

This is a refreshing fruity drink. I can honestly say that this is something I could enjoy on a hot summer afternoon after cutting the lawn. Two would be too sweet, but one might be nice. Although the head settled rather quickly, there is a fair amount of lacing on the inside of my glass. Look out Boone's Farm, this is sure to be a hit with the sophomore sorority crowd. Go get 'em AB!

05-31-2005 04:54:49 | More by mentor
Backer2004

1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Okay, my curiosity got the best of me tonight. This was the first time I saw this available in North Carolina (it can't be over 6.0% ABV, can it?). It is better than one of those Ginseng based caffeinated drink at least.

Is it beer? Not at all. Market it to the red bull and vodka crowd, change the color to purple and put in a bottle, and you may have a found a niche with the clubbing crowd. Smells of raspberry with a strong fruit taste. No mouthfeel to speak of.

At least is was only $1.29 for a can.

05-21-2005 04:09:30 | More by Backer2004
Domingo

2.88/5  rDev +50.8%

Not terrible as long as you don't judge it as a beer! It essentially looks and tastes like Red Bull, but has a beer mouthfeel and head. As a beer it's horrible, but as an energy drink it's average.
If you're really interested in something like this, there are better options, though.
It's really tough to judge this as a beer simply because it really doesn't seem anything like one.

05-17-2005 22:27:39 | More by Domingo
rowew

2.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 10 oz bottle completely wrapped in plastic. "Beer with something extra . . ." Maybe they could have spent less on the label and put a full serving in the bottle?

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow with a head that fades quickly to nothing.

Smell: I can smell this one from across the room. Sickly sweet aroma - reminds me of some of the more overly sweet ciders. Slight hint of artificial fruit.

Taste: Taste is like the aroma - overly sweet and artificial fruit. Slight chalkiness to the mouthfeel.

Overall impression: I'm not sure what masochistic urge made me pick up this bottle, but I guess curiosity won out. This one is easy to drink because there isn't much going on - but I'm a bit afraid of what it is doing to my body while I drink it.

05-04-2005 21:37:44 | More by rowew
MuddyFeet

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

I don't think it can get worse than this beer. Packy was having a $1/can special and picked it up out of odd curiousity. Poured sickly yellow-tinged green. The smell isn't as bad as possible, only because it is sweet smelling, but nothing like a beer. The Where's the malts and hops? The flavor is merely sweet tarts. Mouthfeel is at least crispish (a stretch, starting to feel bad and look for any positive). Drinkability. Nada. Sorry. I wince every time I pick up the glass.

04-30-2005 22:08:52 | More by MuddyFeet
amicar

Missouri

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Again. I want to point out that I tried this out of morbid curiosity when a friend who works for AB gave me a free sample can

Hmm... looks like light yellow macro brew with a slight white head that vanishes quickly.

The smell? Well, I'm glad AB identified that we were clamoring for a robitussin scented beer.

Taste- well, fruity....
...
...
Oh cr-p. I cant keep this up. I can't review this. I'm sorry. There's no way to be constructive. This is truly awful. I mean, I'm going to look for anything I can too wash this taste away. I'm sorry I'm not giving a "constructive criticism" type review... I just cant....

04-30-2005 01:34:42 | More by amicar
merlin48

Kentucky

1.68/5  rDev -12%

Found a single of this and my curiosity got the best of me. "Beer with caffeine, ginseng, guarana root, and natural flavors" according to the writing on the 10 oz can. OK. I've had beer with hemp, ginger, chili, assorted fruits, chocolate, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc., so I'll give this a try.
Pours clear, with a faintly pale yellow body. One finger white head lasts about 15 seconds and vanishes completely. No lace. There is barely any color in the body.
Aroma is similar to ginger ale, with some SweeTart candy notes.
Mouthfeel features tingly carbonation, with some cloying, artificial sugar tart fruitiness.
Taste has nothing akin to any style of beer. Sprite soda is close, but this reminds me of a regional soda from northeastern Tennessee, called DrEnuff. No hops, malts, or yeasts are noted.
This is not a beer. Not as gross as a Zima, and it goes down quickly. Had to chase this with a glass of water to prevent nausea. I won't be having this one again. Avoid!

04-29-2005 21:40:55 | More by merlin48
HardTarget

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz. can (which evidently is unusual, but this is Texas, land of the obscure Liquor Law) noting Caffeine, ginseng and guarana extract and “natural flavors” Born on date on bottom of can states: 12FEB05
Aroma: Sprite ™ and cotton candy. Very sweet smelling, very artificial flavor soda
Appearance: Extremely clear, practically white with a drop of yellow in it. This is the clearest and whitest “beer” I’ve ever seen. Had a creamy small bubbled head that dropped to the thinnest of collars quickly.
Flavor: Tastes like soda and a malternative mixed together. Fruity, sweet, and not at all like beer. More like a diet soda
Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and light; evaporates to nothing at the swallow.
Overall Impression: Ok, this isn’t beer. This is some marketers’ idea of how to sell beer to people that don’t like the taste of beer. Frankly; it worked. My wife, not a beer drinker, likes it. I, however, view it as an abomination. Oh Bud, you have dropped to a new low.
I owe Pegasus a bitchslap for giving me this.

04-22-2005 02:52:30 | More by HardTarget
pentathlete

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

"So if we call it a beer, even though it is a malternative, we can trick some beer drinkers into having it," is what I think AB marketing types were saying around the long mahogany table.

Chalky, sweet-tart tasting swill. Ugly non-natural yellow color. Candy fizzy smell. Completely non-beer flavor. Might as well be a Bacardi Silver or something. Mouthfeel is phony energy drink carbonation. There is no reason to drink one of these let alone worrying about drinkability. And, hey!, it's conveniently priced like a regular Bud but in a sporty ten oz can! What a deal!

04-17-2005 17:01:06 | More by pentathlete
francisweizen

Arizona

2.9/5  rDev +51.8%

Interesting stuff, this. Nearly clear in colour with a nasty fizz to it. Drink it from the can. Smells of flinstones chewable fruit flavored vitamins, seltzer water, muichelob ultra, and funky cider/perry. Odd. Taste si weird. slighlty beery, light and fruity with some weird funky cider/perry tones as well. Mouthfeel is light, but lends to this stuffs great drinkability. A 4 pack can be downed in ease, but why would you want to. This may be better than Sparks, but who cares! My curiosity got the best of me again. Still it may be AB's best product!

04-14-2005 16:03:50 | More by francisweizen
ADR

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Frighteningly pale, you move the glass around the background trying to see if the barely ginger ale appearance is real or not. Forced carbonation and a cheap detergent head. Small but fat dots for lace. Artificial orange aroma, not so good. Skeletal body, highly spritzy. With all the extracts and additives dumped into this, it mostly just tastes like fruit antacid tablets, "fruity" and tangy but completely indecipherable as to what the fruit really is. Dries with some odd burnt matches at the finish. I wonder if I could replicate this to a blindfolded person with fruit punch, seltzer water, and some cigarette butts. I tend to be friendly and rate macros as much for what they are as possible, but I can't go for this one at all.

04-10-2005 19:41:39 | More by ADR
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev +46.6%

With my love of Bud I just had to try this one. Poured a very pale yellow color. Nowhere near the bright "gold" I associate with regular Bud. While there was a decent "pfthh" from the can it appears very flat with little carbonation present. The aroma is actually quite nice-like your average micro fruit beer. I cant pinpoint what fruit but its almost a kiwi or some type of berry. The taste is ok-not bad or good. Its almost like a tangy wine cooler-not as sweet. Theres no real body to speak of. I think Ive had water with more body then this. Overall not really as bad as I thought it would be. I had visions of dumping it after 2 sips. I could see it being trendy with the wine cooler crowd ie women. The 6.6% might catch up on you. Not my thing but I cant trash it. I will be clensing my palate with a Murphys however!!!

04-08-2005 21:46:17 | More by lackenhauser
arguemaniac

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

All in all, pretty terrible. I’m all for experimental beers and unusual ingredients being used to brew beer, but this is just wrong. Call me old fashioned but I simply believe that beer should NOT taste like an energy drink!!! However, if you really try, and concentrate really hard, you might be able to fool yourself into thinking it tastes like a bad fruit beer with a sort of an rancid apricot taste to it (with just a hint of ass as well). Budweiser has established a long-standing legacy of brewing bad beer without resorting to ideas like this one, and for the love of all things holy, they should just stick to doing what they do best. But perhaps I’m looking at this the wrong way: while it’s certainly one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried, it’s probably one of the best energy drinks I’ve ever had…

04-06-2005 05:59:40 | More by arguemaniac
TinusTime

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

Forgive me father for I have sinned.. Having had the B to the E at the HR-NOVA gathering. I decided I should break out a couple of samples and do a side by side with Sparks. Hey someone had to eat the first oyster....

Pours a pale white yellow with maybe a hint of pink. Head is more like a collection of bubbles really nothing too lingering. Smell is nothing.. Really cant get much off of it other than maybe a touch of sweetness. Smells almost like a seltzer water. Taste is rather light too.. A hint of beer flavour then to a medicinal childrens asprin and Spree combo.. Pretty sweet stuff. But really not much flavour at all. Sparks has much more of a flavour, but that isnt really a good thing. Mouthfeel is once again sprightly like soda pop. Drinkability.. Well it wont make you gag.... but honestly after you try it just to say you have.. whats the point other than trying to get to the power of E

04-05-2005 21:09:06 | More by TinusTime