Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser SelectBudweiser Select

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
Reviews: 393 | Hads: 1,196

A - Boring plain-ole macro lager piss yellow color with a thin cap of wispy dishsoap bubbles. Even the thin cap goes away within a minute to leave only a collar of fizz.

S - None.

T - A slightly sour hint of hop bitterness that tastes like a drop of pale ale has been added to a glass of water.

M - Fizzy and carbonated. Extremely watery.

D - Avoid at all costs. (374 characters)

Another beauty I drank out of a can.

Poured this can into a plastic cup. It poured a plae straw color and it has very nice clarity. It produced a pathetic white head with horrible head retention. Little to no lacing. Aroma....what aroma? I think i might have smelled a grain....yes A grain. The taste of this light lager is almost no existent....if there is a taste of malt or grain or hops,,, it is barely existent. What is this crap? (436 characters)

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: bottle
FRESH: y
PURCHASED @: Hilanders
COST: 5/6pack
HEAD: minimal
LACE: none COLOR:yellow
AROMA: lager
MOUTHFEEL: light
TASTE: how is this different than bud light?
COMMENTS: marketing ploy

CONDITIONS: MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n WITH FRIENDS- n SIPPING- n GET MY BUZZ ON- n (336 characters)

You know, I thought Bud and Bud light were bad, but this one takes the cake. It taste like half water and half Budweiser. Its a good thing they have a quality marketing campaign. The color is yellow with not much of a head. Doesn't smell like much. Maybe some grain. Body is lighter than water. I wish I could give this a zero. (327 characters)

AWFUL. This 'beer' just smells from moldly boiled rice and has no scent of alcohol. Pale yellowish color, no head no lacing, and almost clear. Makes me wonder why I am drinking this. The flavor is mostly like a bitter moldy rice soda. The beer if flat... AVOID!!! (263 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.8%

beer was poured out of can into red plastic cup, fairly fizzy no real head. very clear not much for aroma. tastes reminiscent of pond scum and shampoo predominate over undertones of corn and rice. unsure if there is an new definition of "select" which means batches of budweiser that didnt pass the qaqc.

definitely encouragement to win at beer pong. (352 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

I don't want to be offensive, but this is probably the worst ber I have ever had.

Appearance - Looks like very carbonated light golden lager with zero head retention. The head is more along the lines of soda, as well as the carbonation.

Smell- What smell?

Taste - What taste? Seriously...At least regular Bud has some semblance of flavor. This supposedly is a step up?! Nope. It seriously has ZERO flavor. THE definition of alcoholic water. Zero aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Soda water.

Drinkability - The drain loves this beer.

Fin. (547 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

Reviewed from notes, although it's hard to forget this.

Pours as if someone put two drops of yellow food coloring inside of a glass of water. Pours with a bit of white head, but that quickly recedes into nothing and leaves zero lacing. Smells like a stale loaf of bread in between slices of cardboard. Tastes about the same, although thankfully tames it down a bit. Feel and drinkability is about the same as carbonated water. (427 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

This beer is amazing. A triumph in failure. In a blind taste test between this and carbonated soda water, I was unable to tell the difference. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it's not far off.

A: Urine yellow with puffy white head.
S: Virtually non-existent, save for a general unpleasant sourness.
T: Tastes like water.
M: Thin body with high carbonation. About the least enjoyable mouthfeel possible in a beer.
D: Just terrible. Atrocious. I could not even finish a whole can. (486 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

This beer is a travesty to even call beer. True pisswasser, real shiessebier. There really is no reason to drink ths unless it is really hot outside, the beer is really cold, and you are dying of thirst.

As I have said before: it looks like pee, it tastes like pee, and I don't like paying for pee.

=[ (303 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

As bad a brew as I've had from one of the major breweries....I thought this would be "added" flavor being it was "select"...it is not....it has little flavor and what flavor it does have is nasty...it literally tastes like I took a glass of water...dropped an ounce of Bud Light into and mixed it up...this has no redeeming qualities. I'd take a host of light beer over this that have more flavor....the worst purchase I have made in many years...stick to regular Bud if you like AB Macros.. (491 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -50%

Apparently AB thought Budweiser wasn't good enough, they had to have Bud Select? I'm sure there's a marketing spin here, but to me it looks akin to when Coke changed its formula. In any case...

I expected a darker beer, but nope - brew is the same pale gold as regular Bud. Heavy carbonation, fluffy white head that's short-lived. No big.

Aroma is off. There's the expected AB reliance of adjuncts coming through in the nose, but underlying it is something akin to old laundry. Not good.

Taste - Gods, is this beer or beer-flavored seltzer? Wafer-thin mouthfeel even for a lager. It tastes like water - no two ways around it.

Blew $6 on the six-pack, and I'll be plowing through it tonight. What a waste of the brew process. Makes regular Bud seem as complex and chewy as an oatmeal stout. NOT recommended except to those trying to find a beer for their fruity-cocktail drinking friends.

EDIT: Upon reading the reviews of others after posting, I now realize this is a low-carb beer. Damn AB for not expressly saying that - I would not have wasted my money. I feel soiled. Atkins dieters should be drowned in this swill. (1,135 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -50%

Ah another nasty light/low-carb beer, yawn I've had tap water with more body and flavor than this. Aroma is stale gym socks, appearance is a respectable pale yellow with surprisingly good lacing and strong carbonation, mouthfeel is horrible, flavor isn't too far behind tastes like beer flavored styrofoam, overall a poor beer. (327 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -48.6%

The lightest color I have ever seen, more of a white then a pale. Small white head which doesn't last. Clean aroma with hints of pear, water and light grain/corn. Disgusting fermented corn water in the flavor without a note to be noted. Terrible. Nasty. (253 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -46.8%

This beer is bad. Bud Light is bad enough, but this is like they took Bud Light, and squeezed the last drop of taste out of the beer.

It really has no body, smell, or flavor whatsoever.

I really wish I could have given this a zero on T, M, and D.

The only purpose I can see for this beer is when it's 100 degrees outside, you're parched, and you need something you can slam real quick to quench your thirst. (411 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured a pale yellow with absolutely no head. Can't smell anything, and since this is in the Bud Family, I'm not surprised. The rice doesn't little for the malt flavor - there's already very little - and there isn't any hops flavor.

I was supposed to "Expect Everything" from Select, but got absolutely nothing from it. I'd like my money back. (345 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -45%

I really don't know why I didn't give this a straight 1.0. I guess because it wasn't exactly awful but was it ever close, too bad there isn't a 1.1.

I bought an 18 pack (or was it 15?) of this stuff in 16 oz aluminum bottles. "Select" it said on the carton (hmmm.... might be OK), I had never seen or drank it before so the name and fancy bottles tricked me.

Honestly I can't remember the last time a dozen (+or- ) beers lasted 4 weeks in my fridge. No one woud drink it voluntarily so I finally got rid of it through sheer determination. Hell my girlfriend wouldn't drink it and that was my best shot, so as not to get beaten by a beer, I drank it myself (argh).

edit: Somehow another bottle of this found its way into the fridge...was it really as bad as my first experience?...in a word, an emphatic yes, perhaps even worse... my taste # is going to 1. I really can't believe that something this bad is actually presented to the public as beer and "Select" no less. (972 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -43.6%

Standard clear gold color, small fizzy head. Smell is not very strong. Just when I think i smell some maltiness, it disappears. Taste is pretty much like any other light macro, not interesting, no hops present, and relatively malt free. A little grain is all that is present. Fizzy mouthfeel. What's the point? You can get a 6 packs of hundreds of different craft brews and regionals for what this crap costs. Stay Away. (420 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -43.6%

Is "Select" the new "Ice"? Pale yellow and bubbly with a thin white head and minimal lacing. Faint musty hops aroma, or maybe I imagined it. Seltzer-water character with no real flavor present. Don’t they use the word "bold" somewhere in the advertising? Right. The finish is equally tasteless. This beer is DOA. (313 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1

12oz can, left over from my sister-in-law's farm wedding. I'm not sure why the groom chose this because he is a beer guy. Not surprising that there were 22 left of the 24 pack he bought. I took one for review purposes and left the rest for someone else to drink at the farm. Can is date stamped 04JUN14.
L - golden with a thin, fizzy, white head thay dissipates to nearly nothing very quickly.
S - not much for aroma: sweet, corn, grass
T - watery beer? Beer flavored water? Flavor is weak and rather nauseating. Adjunct lager flavors of grass, cereal, corn.
F - thin as water, adequate carbonation, clean finish
O - just not worth brewing or drinking 99 calories of watery brew. I get that this is something people go for, but it's not for me. (744 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

I promise I'm being fair here, there are macro's of this type that when given one, I can drink. This was free so I gave it a try. Poured into a pint glass, no head, straw colored I guess, I was in a club. Smell sort of metallic. Watery mouthfeel with soda carbonation. A metallic, vegetable taste, very weak but was there. I could not drink more than a few sips, yet I can't pinpoint what was so objectionable. There was another AB product given out on a promotion, not nearly so bad. (484 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

I cannot believe my buddy even bought this stuff! I mean he is a little over weight but not that overweight that he needed to make us suffer through this crap. It poured a pale yellowish color with nice clarity. It smelled of nothing maybe a little bit of grain. It is overly dry causing a cottonmouth feel. Besides being dry it has this crispy bite to it that is most umpleasant. Gross gross gross. (399 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -39.9%

Pale and yellowish. Very little head. Head lasted about as long as the flavor.

Smell, what smell? I don't know if there was something wrong with me that day or what, but literally couldn't smell this at all. Just a faint watery, vague, generic beer scent.

Taste was about as impressive as the scent. I've had tap water with more flavor, seriously.

A slight carbonation on the tongue, but little else in the way of mouthfeel. Admittedly, it goes down easy, but so does water, or tea.

I would drink soda or even a glass of water before having this one again. There's just no point. I'm not into drinking alcohol just for the sake of drinking alcohol, so I really would skip the beer if there wasn't anything better than this available. (746 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -39.4%

I would be nicer and say this was easy to drink, cause most light beers are, but this was just bad tasting, and it didn't even have much flavor. It's like bud light with a little twang, barely just touches your front taste buds, i like a beer to go a little further back on my tongue.
This beer sucks. There is no aftertaste cause it attacks the front taste buds. Seriously i monitor what taste buds are active when i drink.
This beer is thin, has no smell, and tastes like crap. I could barely drink it. (507 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -39%

I'm trying to be objective. I expected this to be just a bit better than awful, since I despise regular Bud, and this is meant to be a "special" Bud. I was offered this at a bbq recently, and, since there was nothing else to drink, not even water, I decided to taste it. But honestly I could find nothing about this beer to distinguish it from it's ubiquitous brother. Admittiedly it's been a long time since I've had a Bud.

It's paler than straw, faintly golden and clear. A bright white coarse head flares up and fizzes away after a bit. At first I can't smell anything. Then a weak whiff of sour grain. Not a hop to be smelt anywhere.

The taste would be refreshing if the beer was so cold that it actually numbed your tongue. As it is, what flavor there is, is subtle, grainy, a little lemony, a bit of spritz from some leftover carbonation, and you're done. Aftertaste is sweet and sickening. Malt? no. Barley? where? Hops? Hah!

I really can't say enough bad things about this "select" beer. Managed to down half the bottle for educational purposes. (1,062 characters)

Budweiser Select from Anheuser-Busch