Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
thekevlarkid

Maryland

2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

Out of a 24oz. can this beer produced a ridiculously huge foamy head of off-white bubbles. The retention was decent and the lacing scattered. The aroma was of corn mash, grains and some light hops. The flavors were a cleaned up version of regular Bud, but still quite washed out. Pale malt, bleached hops. Decent balance and a session beer for those who fear taste. The mouthfeel was prickly and watery, the carbonation high and the body light. Skip it.

01-24-2009 22:16:20 | More by thekevlarkid
waltonc

Colorado

1.05/5  rDev -48.5%

This beer is amazing. A triumph in failure. In a blind taste test between this and carbonated soda water, I was unable to tell the difference. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it's not far off.

A: Urine yellow with puffy white head.
S: Virtually non-existent, save for a general unpleasant sourness.
T: Tastes like water.
M: Thin body with high carbonation. About the least enjoyable mouthfeel possible in a beer.
D: Just terrible. Atrocious. I could not even finish a whole can.

01-22-2009 15:23:04 | More by waltonc
cagocubs

2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

Pours a piss yellow with think white head that dissapates rapidly, no lacing. The smell is pathetic, you cant smell anything. The taste is watery with slight hop taste. The mouthfeel is similar to drinking tonic water, carbonated and tingly. It is drinkable because it is pretty much water. This would be a good beer if you were sweating one out at a ballpark, otherwise pass.

01-20-2009 22:16:25 | More by cagocubs
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev +32.4%

A- Pours a light straw color, and there isn't much in terms of a head, even after a hard pour, but rather a fizzy head that dissapears and at least forms a foamy ring. Nothing much in terms of lacing either. I do like the sleek looking bottle however.

S- Not much to report here....just a mild malt aroma. No hops are detectable here. Also maybe some grainy smells but not much else.

T- Surprisingly for a light beer, this has more flavor than I would have guessed it to have. Decent malt flavors, maybe a little dusty aftertaste though. No hops are noticeable but it does leave a sweet aftertaste

M- Quite watery but given the style I wasn't expecting much of a body. Carbonation is heavy in this beer but again not surprising.

D- The good news here is that I could enjoy this beer all night during any time of the year. I'd say that this is a slightly upgraded version of MGD 64.

01-12-2009 00:00:17 | More by ChrisCage
bvburnes

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +76.5%

A: very light straw
S: mild, almost non-existent
T: Very low to no bitterness. I cannot taste the alcohol at all (which is a plus for me), and I love the bready/yeast finish
M: A lot of carbonation with a very thin body. Almost like soda-water
D: I could drink this all day. It goes down crisp and is very refreshing (not to sound like a commercial). Think a lawn chair, a warm summer day, and fresh cut grass.

This is not trying to be anything other than what it is, and I think it does it much better than the other light beers I've tasted.

01-09-2009 21:48:48 | More by bvburnes
unclejimbay

3.18/5  rDev +55.9%

Bud Select - 9/16/2008
Poured from a 1/2 barrel keg to mug - I bought the keg for a FLA/GA party at our house 11/1/2008.
ABV 4.3%, cals=99
A 3.0
Golden yellow, decent head - lasted longer than from bottle, noticeable carbonation - a bit more than what I have seen from a bottle pour.
S 2.5
Typical American macro smell, not to much to mention here
T 3.5
Typical American macro, generally speaking neutral and harmless for beer newbies
MF 2.5 watery as expected, light on carbonation in the mouth considering how prevalent it is on the pour, could be the keg temp?
D 3.5
Not bad for a Am macro session beer, which is why I got the keg - for my guests. (I was drinking my Pale Ale home brew!) ABV is a little light for my preference to buy on my own. I would prefer a bottle over the can any day. Better than Bud Light and most light beers in my opinion.

01-09-2009 15:34:34 | More by unclejimbay
Duhast500

Rhode Island

Budweiser Select taste almost the same as bud light. Bud select has a bit more heavier mouthfeel but the taste is close to the same.

The color is a very lght amber/orange

Smell is a little malt and hops.

Taste is watery hope taste.

Bud select ended up not being as bad as I expected but I only drink this when there is nothing else or it's really hot and I'm in need of a beer that is not too heavy.

01-08-2009 22:37:19 | More by Duhast500
hwwty4

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

I want to thank my friend Amanda for leaving this at my house after New Years.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Bullfrog Ale pint glass. This beer pours a really light straw with a big white head that melted away into just a thin layer. The aroma is canned corn with just a hint of grain. The taste is almost nonexistent. The flavor is slightly corny but mostly just watery. The mouthfeel is slightly dry but mostly just watery. Unless you don't like beer, definitely stay away from this one.

01-04-2009 00:58:52 | More by hwwty4
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

Born on: September 11th, 2008. The World Trade Center tragedy, like this shameful nightmare, will never be forgotten!

Appearance: Pours a clear, gold body with a thin, painfully brief, white head.

Smell: Feh! Another lifeless, uninspired aroma of tired, musty grains.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with a tiny hint of bored grains. Faintly spicy hop character with a light bitterness. Finishes relatively drying and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: As is the case with so many of these macro lager, there's really just not much to it.

01-01-2009 00:33:54 | More by ChainGangGuy
heapofaoatmeal

1.02/5  rDev -50%

beer was poured out of can into red plastic cup, fairly fizzy no real head. very clear not much for aroma. tastes reminiscent of pond scum and shampoo predominate over undertones of corn and rice. unsure if there is an new definition of "select" which means batches of budweiser that didnt pass the qaqc.

definitely encouragement to win at beer pong.

01-01-2009 00:17:19 | More by heapofaoatmeal
Mistofminn

2.53/5  rDev +24%

Budweiser 2 of 5 from "Budweiser at Ben's" Dec 20th 2008.

Started with Bud Light, and now moving on to Select. I guess we're starting from the bottom up?

There really isn't much to talk about here. In a blind taste test I might not be able to tell Bud Light and Bud Select apart. It's not that I couldn't taste a difference, it's just they are equally light and watery and I wouldn't be able to pin which is which. It's best quality is, once again, mouthfeel and drinkablity. Easy to drink, and hey it's cheap too! Good college beer?

12-20-2008 07:30:28 | More by Mistofminn
Tone

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a pale, clear yellow with no head/retention/lacing. Smells very weak, but you can still pick up on adjuncts in a watery lager. Fits the style well enough. Tastes of adjunct in lager, but very weak body overall. It is smooth and crisp though. Overall, wow this is barely beer at all - not recommended.

12-17-2008 21:01:51 | More by Tone
PintOHops

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a pale straw yellow with high carbonation & a thin head that dissipates very fast. Very clear with very large bubbles. Smells very clean with mostly lite malts, cereal grains & rice that dominate. Some citrus & grape notes as well. As it warms more of a citrus/fruity aroma develops (A little unpleasant)

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes crisp, clean, watery, and mostly of rice & cooked vegetables. Lite malts, a little fruity, and no hops. Mouthfeel is crisp, thin, and very watery. Very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - While one could put down a 12 pack of these with ease, I don't see why anyone would. I couldn't stand drinking this alone (Far to lite!) However, I found it's actually tolerable with food. I liked the fact that I could drink as many a I pleased without getting full. All in all though its to watery & lite. Wheres the body? Wheres the flavor? It's not in this beer, that's for sure.

The only thing this beer has going for it is the drinkability. Other than that, nothing. If your looking for a lite beer, than try Bud light, or any of the other lite macro/adjunct lagers out there. Just don't wast your money on this folks. Not recommended!

12-16-2008 23:56:22 | More by PintOHops
colts9016

Idaho

2.1/5  rDev +2.9%

Pour is a pale yellow with a thin white head and carbonation
Nose is corn wheat and not much else.
Taste is thin and drawn out there is corn and wheat.
Finish is Nil
Overall not a very good beer, except for slamming. I find it funny that Budweiser put select on the label. There is nothing about this beer that is very special.

12-12-2008 20:35:26 | More by colts9016
magictrokini

2.1/5  rDev +2.9%

Unlike some others on this site, I'm not above drinking an Anheuser-Busch product from time to time. I'm also not below trashing their products. But come on, if you're going to call yourself "Select," at least taste like something other than Bud Light. It pours clear yellow with the tell-tale foamy white head. More corn and sugar in the nose, but with a bit of metal (even though this came out of a bottle). Taste is sugar-water mixed with rice Chex. Excuse me while I burp again from the carbonation.

12-04-2008 23:22:27 | More by magictrokini
Bagman007

2.68/5  rDev +31.4%

Served on tap poured into a pint glass.

A- Yellow/orange coloring. Very transparent. Some head, but not much.

S- A little bit of hops noticeable as well as the scent of alcohol, but that much smell to it.

T- I prefer the taste of this to Bud Light. I think this is a little sweeter than Bud Light, but it still seems watered down. I guess it is what you would expect from this kind of beer.

M- Goes down smoothly, not much taste or bitterness.

D- Definitely drinkable in large quantities. Goes down easily.

12-02-2008 19:30:14 | More by Bagman007
LordofTime25

Iowa

1.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear pale yellow! Very high carbination rapid disappearing head.

Smells slight hops and some grains very little smell.

Not much flavor at all!

Very watery in the mouth with lots of bubbles from the carbination

Unless you want to drink a lot of over priced beer avoid!

10-29-2008 04:08:56 | More by LordofTime25
morimech

2.35/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a can. Pale straw yellow color with one inch of white head that quickly disappeared. A little lacing is left on the glass. The smell and taste tells me this is very watered down macro lager. Just a little grainyness but no hops and no malt. Light body and the carbonation is a little lower than Bud. Drinks like a low alcoholic water so it goes down quickly. Even for a light lager this is poor.

10-27-2008 22:16:27 | More by morimech
CampusCrew

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Not much different than Mich Ultra. Very low low on taste.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

10-21-2008 17:54:27 | More by CampusCrew
nlmartin

1.53/5  rDev -25%

This beer was served cold. The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a clear fizzy yellow coloration. The head is white and short lived. No lacing remains behind on my glass.

Smell: Clean grain aromas.

Taste: Corny cereal flavor no hops detectable.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. The carbonation is limp at best. Dam near a drain pour. Just a piss poor beer drinking experience.

10-20-2008 01:55:20 | More by nlmartin
Rhynes2

2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

Im really not sure of the direction they were going with Bud Select. I'm with everyone else when I say I don't particularly like this beer. Nothing special in the color or aroma of this beer, little head retention also does little to boost it's score. I think that it does have a slightly better taste than regular Bud but that doesn't do much if you like stronger more flavorful beers. I would go with another choice before buying this one.

10-14-2008 21:34:56 | More by Rhynes2
righlander

3.18/5  rDev +55.9%

Well I see everyone hates this beer because of lack of flavor and all that. but to me it's better than regular bud or bud light. Very light macro kind of thing going on here. The thing i like about this beer is no aftertaste...And I like that in a macro. I mean, who wants a lot of after taste in a macro light lager? Do you really want to taste a super light macro lager??? Do you think a super light macro lager is going to be some flavor explosion?

10-06-2008 07:16:54 | More by righlander
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev +5.4%

In order to fill my mixed six pack it was between this and corona light...we'll see how it goes.

A: pale, watery gold, pale white head, that recedes to a film, no lacing at all. Lots of bubbles. Looks exactly right for the style. Is it appealing, no, but its right on with the style.

S: corn, water, alcohol, smells exactly like a bud light, no hops, ha ha this has no "beer" smells.

T: corn malts, tastes a lot like cornflakes, and water, a slight hint of bitterness, but no hop flavors. tastes like a maltier bud light, but just a hint more. pretty bland and flavorless.

M: crisp, bubbly carbonation, slick, and thin, not a whole lot going on, but it doesn't feel out of place.

D: i can't even really give this points on drinkability, its just not anything that i'd drink on a night out, there's a bunch of other beers in this style that i'd rather drink.

10-05-2008 02:44:46 | More by pokesbeerdude
weissbierdrinker

2.08/5  rDev +2%

I've had this beer before but was never impressed...I got it for free since some of my friends left it at my house recently. I'm out of beer so looks like I'll review this one.

Poured from a can, has a tall head at first and with an aggressive pour seems to last a little bit. Head color is cream.

Smells of corn or green apple? Not strong enough to tell.

When it hits the tongue it feels like water then the taste is of green apple that goes away very fast. Third mouth full now and nothing much after the apple taste just finishes clean. Very easy drinker. The finish is not dry but leaves a green apple syrup like feel on your tongue if you wait between drinks. The hops hit up front and some on the finish. No real bitterness or flavor.

After five of these it gets boring and feels a bit syrupy on the palate. If your looking for taste in a beer this is not the one, it is how ever a refreshing beer that would be nice with a heavy meal or on a very hot day. I would prefer Sam Adams Boston Ale with a meal though it offers more flavor and bite.

10-04-2008 01:47:22 | More by weissbierdrinker
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Bought as a single for 95 cents.

A medium yellow colour with a average head of foam that soon shrunk to near nothing.

The smell is the usual for a beer of this style. No need to expound on that, me thinks.

The taste has nothing going on. Everything is lightly done and judging what is there, it's better off that way. Even the slight hop bitterness isn't close to being done right. Mouthfeel? Bad. This *is* an avoid beer if I've ever tasted one.

10-02-2008 23:28:02 | More by Bitterbill