Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros

Many a can.
Appearance: Yellow, with weird bubbles.
Smell: Like diet beer, really it does...
Taste: Actually isnt bad for a Macro, but still bad. Typical Bud taste, everyone knows it.
Mouthfeel: lighter than a bud light.
Drinkability: better on you than the average macro lager.

Good for beer-pong, beer games, and those trying to watch their weight while drinking 'beer.'

3.23/5  rDev +59.1%

Haven't done a review in a while,need to get started again! This beer was left in the fridge for a few weeks after a Steeler game by a friend. Might as well give it a review.
A hard pour in a nonic glass gave me about 2" of white creamy head that dissapated quicker that i could examine it,left some spotty webby lacing on the side of the glass.A pale golden color that was clear and not as light as expected with a few tiny strings of lacing scattered around the sides of the glass.
Sweet malty aromas,doughy with a clean mineral water scent,no hop aroma,but had a nice fruitiness.
Watered down taste,light slightly tart fruitiness,again a mineral water taste as in the aroma. Finshes with a light drying tartness. Very smooth,not filling easy to drink,no off flavors,very clean. Not all that bad could see the drinkability factor. Just not enough taste for me,although i wouldn't turn a cold one down on a hot summer day.

2.7/5  rDev +33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A step up in drinkability from Bud Light, this beer seems to be the same thing minus the metallic aftertaste. Head, color, etc. are not important to this beer. It is all about not having an aftertaste.

This beer has its place at an insurance party's barbecue. Finicky people will drink it because it is an improved version of a famous beverage: we know how the average American adores anything famous.

I have to admit, I still purchase this when my in-laws come to town, something that they will drink and I can stomach.

2.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Out of a 24oz. can this beer produced a ridiculously huge foamy head of off-white bubbles. The retention was decent and the lacing scattered. The aroma was of corn mash, grains and some light hops. The flavors were a cleaned up version of regular Bud, but still quite washed out. Pale malt, bleached hops. Decent balance and a session beer for those who fear taste. The mouthfeel was prickly and watery, the carbonation high and the body light. Skip it.

1.05/5  rDev -48.3%

This beer is amazing. A triumph in failure. In a blind taste test between this and carbonated soda water, I was unable to tell the difference. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it's not far off.

A: Urine yellow with puffy white head.
S: Virtually non-existent, save for a general unpleasant sourness.
T: Tastes like water.
M: Thin body with high carbonation. About the least enjoyable mouthfeel possible in a beer.
D: Just terrible. Atrocious. I could not even finish a whole can.

2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Pours a piss yellow with think white head that dissapates rapidly, no lacing. The smell is pathetic, you cant smell anything. The taste is watery with slight hop taste. The mouthfeel is similar to drinking tonic water, carbonated and tingly. It is drinkable because it is pretty much water. This would be a good beer if you were sweating one out at a ballpark, otherwise pass.

2.7/5  rDev +33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a light straw color, and there isn't much in terms of a head, even after a hard pour, but rather a fizzy head that dissapears and at least forms a foamy ring. Nothing much in terms of lacing either. I do like the sleek looking bottle however.

S- Not much to report here....just a mild malt aroma. No hops are detectable here. Also maybe some grainy smells but not much else.

T- Surprisingly for a light beer, this has more flavor than I would have guessed it to have. Decent malt flavors, maybe a little dusty aftertaste though. No hops are noticeable but it does leave a sweet aftertaste

M- Quite watery but given the style I wasn't expecting much of a body. Carbonation is heavy in this beer but again not surprising.

D- The good news here is that I could enjoy this beer all night during any time of the year. I'd say that this is a slightly upgraded version of MGD 64.

3.6/5  rDev +77.3%

A: very light straw
S: mild, almost non-existent
T: Very low to no bitterness. I cannot taste the alcohol at all (which is a plus for me), and I love the bready/yeast finish
M: A lot of carbonation with a very thin body. Almost like soda-water
D: I could drink this all day. It goes down crisp and is very refreshing (not to sound like a commercial). Think a lawn chair, a warm summer day, and fresh cut grass.

This is not trying to be anything other than what it is, and I think it does it much better than the other light beers I've tasted.

3.18/5  rDev +56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bud Select - 9/16/2008
Poured from a 1/2 barrel keg to mug - I bought the keg for a FLA/GA party at our house 11/1/2008.
ABV 4.3%, cals=99
A 3.0
Golden yellow, decent head - lasted longer than from bottle, noticeable carbonation - a bit more than what I have seen from a bottle pour.
S 2.5
Typical American macro smell, not to much to mention here
T 3.5
Typical American macro, generally speaking neutral and harmless for beer newbies
MF 2.5 watery as expected, light on carbonation in the mouth considering how prevalent it is on the pour, could be the keg temp?
D 3.5
Not bad for a Am macro session beer, which is why I got the keg - for my guests. (I was drinking my Pale Ale home brew!) ABV is a little light for my preference to buy on my own. I would prefer a bottle over the can any day. Better than Bud Light and most light beers in my opinion.

Budweiser Select taste almost the same as bud light. Bud select has a bit more heavier mouthfeel but the taste is close to the same.

The color is a very lght amber/orange

Smell is a little malt and hops.

Taste is watery hope taste.

Bud select ended up not being as bad as I expected but I only drink this when there is nothing else or it's really hot and I'm in need of a beer that is not too heavy.

1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

I want to thank my friend Amanda for leaving this at my house after New Years.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Bullfrog Ale pint glass. This beer pours a really light straw with a big white head that melted away into just a thin layer. The aroma is canned corn with just a hint of grain. The taste is almost nonexistent. The flavor is slightly corny but mostly just watery. The mouthfeel is slightly dry but mostly just watery. Unless you don't like beer, definitely stay away from this one.

Born on: September 11th, 2008. The World Trade Center tragedy, like this shameful nightmare, will never be forgotten!

Appearance: Pours a clear, gold body with a thin, painfully brief, white head.

Smell: Feh! Another lifeless, uninspired aroma of tired, musty grains.

Taste: Sweet light pale malts with a tiny hint of bored grains. Faintly spicy hop character with a light bitterness. Finishes relatively drying and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: As is the case with so many of these macro lager, there's really just not much to it.

1.02/5  rDev -49.8%

beer was poured out of can into red plastic cup, fairly fizzy no real head. very clear not much for aroma. tastes reminiscent of pond scum and shampoo predominate over undertones of corn and rice. unsure if there is an new definition of "select" which means batches of budweiser that didnt pass the qaqc.

definitely encouragement to win at beer pong.

2.53/5  rDev +24.6%

Budweiser 2 of 5 from "Budweiser at Ben's" Dec 20th 2008.

Started with Bud Light, and now moving on to Select. I guess we're starting from the bottom up?

There really isn't much to talk about here. In a blind taste test I might not be able to tell Bud Light and Bud Select apart. It's not that I couldn't taste a difference, it's just they are equally light and watery and I wouldn't be able to pin which is which. It's best quality is, once again, mouthfeel and drinkablity. Easy to drink, and hey it's cheap too! Good college beer?

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale, clear yellow with no head/retention/lacing. Smells very weak, but you can still pick up on adjuncts in a watery lager. Fits the style well enough. Tastes of adjunct in lager, but very weak body overall. It is smooth and crisp though. Overall, wow this is barely beer at all - not recommended.

2.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a pale straw yellow with high carbonation & a thin head that dissipates very fast. Very clear with very large bubbles. Smells very clean with mostly lite malts, cereal grains & rice that dominate. Some citrus & grape notes as well. As it warms more of a citrus/fruity aroma develops (A little unpleasant)

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes crisp, clean, watery, and mostly of rice & cooked vegetables. Lite malts, a little fruity, and no hops. Mouthfeel is crisp, thin, and very watery. Very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - While one could put down a 12 pack of these with ease, I don't see why anyone would. I couldn't stand drinking this alone (Far to lite!) However, I found it's actually tolerable with food. I liked the fact that I could drink as many a I pleased without getting full. All in all though its to watery & lite. Wheres the body? Wheres the flavor? It's not in this beer, that's for sure.

The only thing this beer has going for it is the drinkability. Other than that, nothing. If your looking for a lite beer, than try Bud light, or any of the other lite macro/adjunct lagers out there. Just don't wast your money on this folks. Not recommended!

2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Pour is a pale yellow with a thin white head and carbonation
Nose is corn wheat and not much else.
Taste is thin and drawn out there is corn and wheat.
Finish is Nil
Overall not a very good beer, except for slamming. I find it funny that Budweiser put select on the label. There is nothing about this beer that is very special.

2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Unlike some others on this site, I'm not above drinking an Anheuser-Busch product from time to time. I'm also not below trashing their products. But come on, if you're going to call yourself "Select," at least taste like something other than Bud Light. It pours clear yellow with the tell-tale foamy white head. More corn and sugar in the nose, but with a bit of metal (even though this came out of a bottle). Taste is sugar-water mixed with rice Chex. Excuse me while I burp again from the carbonation.

2.68/5  rDev +32%

Served on tap poured into a pint glass.

A- Yellow/orange coloring. Very transparent. Some head, but not much.

S- A little bit of hops noticeable as well as the scent of alcohol, but that much smell to it.

T- I prefer the taste of this to Bud Light. I think this is a little sweeter than Bud Light, but it still seems watered down. I guess it is what you would expect from this kind of beer.

M- Goes down smoothly, not much taste or bitterness.

D- Definitely drinkable in large quantities. Goes down easily.

1.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a clear pale yellow! Very high carbination rapid disappearing head.

Smells slight hops and some grains very little smell.

Not much flavor at all!

Very watery in the mouth with lots of bubbles from the carbination

Unless you want to drink a lot of over priced beer avoid!

2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a can. Pale straw yellow color with one inch of white head that quickly disappeared. A little lacing is left on the glass. The smell and taste tells me this is very watered down macro lager. Just a little grainyness but no hops and no malt. Light body and the carbonation is a little lower than Bud. Drinks like a low alcoholic water so it goes down quickly. Even for a light lager this is poor.

1.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Not much different than Mich Ultra. Very low low on taste.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer was served cold. The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a clear fizzy yellow coloration. The head is white and short lived. No lacing remains behind on my glass.

Smell: Clean grain aromas.

Taste: Corny cereal flavor no hops detectable.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. The carbonation is limp at best. Dam near a drain pour. Just a piss poor beer drinking experience.

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

Im really not sure of the direction they were going with Bud Select. I'm with everyone else when I say I don't particularly like this beer. Nothing special in the color or aroma of this beer, little head retention also does little to boost it's score. I think that it does have a slightly better taste than regular Bud but that doesn't do much if you like stronger more flavorful beers. I would go with another choice before buying this one.

3.18/5  rDev +56.7%

Well I see everyone hates this beer because of lack of flavor and all that. but to me it's better than regular bud or bud light. Very light macro kind of thing going on here. The thing i like about this beer is no aftertaste...And I like that in a macro. I mean, who wants a lot of after taste in a macro light lager? Do you really want to taste a super light macro lager??? Do you think a super light macro lager is going to be some flavor explosion?

Budweiser Select from Anheuser-Busch