1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser SelectBudweiser Select

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev +33%

This stuff pours piss yellow with quite a bit of snow white head,it smells like cardboard,not much taste like crappy bottled water,I'm sure thats what they were going for,too much carbonation and very watery.The upside that I can see is that it's supposed to be good for you(low carb),I could drink as many of these as are left in the fridge (23)...thats why I love BUD SELECT!!!

orangemoustache, Dec 22, 2007
1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured a pale yellow with absolutely no head. Can't smell anything, and since this is in the Bud Family, I'm not surprised. The rice doesn't little for the malt flavor - there's already very little - and there isn't any hops flavor.

I was supposed to "Expect Everything" from Select, but got absolutely nothing from it. I'd like my money back.

stagman, Dec 17, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +71.4%

A staple beer. :)

A: Like any other cheap beer, competently manufactured/processed
S: Smelled nice, better than regular Bud or Coors or High Life, etc....
T:Very malty and sweet. Like candy.
M:Nothing notable for mouthfeel...tingly on the tongue enough to make me feel alive
D:Very drinkable. I could drink this all day long and drink many more without incident.

ntillemans, Dec 11, 2007
2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Poured a typical straw color with a thin white head

S - Mostly malt with grain

T - Theres not much of it just malt

M - Theres medium carbonation and like the bottle says finishes clean

D - Its very smooth and has a light taste so its easy to drink

armock, Dec 06, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

What a weirdly shaped bottle.

I am fair to macros, I really am. When the wallet's hurting, they get their fair share of attention. When I visit my brother, I never call his beer selection swill, I say, "Fair enough." Well, he left a Budweiser Select in my fridge. "Finders, keeps," I thought. Right.

A: No surprises here. Crystal clear, several rising bubbles. Fluffy white head that is there and gone in an instant.

S: Smell? What smell? I can't smell a thing. Oh wait, I think I got a bit of it in my nose. Some vague hop...no it smells like the floor in front of the taps at a sports bar or a baseball game.

T: Tastes like a college keg party. Beer in its most neglected form. Straw-like, no body, effervescent and lacking complexity even if left to warm, which is a bad idea. Aftertaste vanishes, but I'm not thirsty anymore.

M: Carbonation, carbonation, carbonation take up any space where the body should be. Good thing I didn't spend money on this.

D: If you are really thirsty and want something cold, bland, and cheap, or if you're a college student, bingo. If you really enjoy beer, truly respecting and taking pride in the craft and journey of the beverage, steer clear. Such a disappointment, even on a macro scale.

How the beer gods must weep.

JArami, Dec 05, 2007
1.25/5  rDev -38.4%

I promise I'm being fair here, there are macro's of this type that when given one, I can drink. This was free so I gave it a try. Poured into a pint glass, no head, straw colored I guess, I was in a club. Smell sort of metallic. Watery mouthfeel with soda carbonation. A metallic, vegetable taste, very weak but was there. I could not drink more than a few sips, yet I can't pinpoint what was so objectionable. There was another AB product given out on a promotion, not nearly so bad.

srrn, Dec 02, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +72.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pale yellow with a foamy, white head. Not a bad color for such a light beer.

Smell: Very light hops an malt.

Taste: Flavorful within the style. A balance between minimal hop flavors and minimal malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Soda pop quality. Seems to have something artificial thickening this up a bit.

Drinkability: Good brew for a hot day. If I had to drink a light beer, this would probably be an acceptable choice.

SargeC, Nov 16, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Okay this one is an alright bargain beer, although I some how tend to get headaches when drinking any bud products. I would probably never buy this beer but some one happened to leave it in my fridge. I would imagine this would be a good beer to buy for the kids in front of the convenience store, or even a beer to get a rippin good hang-over. But the enjoyablility is not quite there.

skeetermoses, Nov 10, 2007
2.38/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Light golden color, with rapidly diminishing head.

S- Not much to the nose at all.

T- Tastes bland and watered down. That is about all you can say about it.

M- Very carbonated and just watered down. NO backbone what so ever.

D- Drinkable beer only because it is relatively cheap and you can drink a ton.

MMAJYK, Oct 26, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +41.9%

Ahhh yes, Bud Select - Be Selective as they used to say.

A - I'm not sure, yellow water perhaps, with obvious carbonation and little on top.

S - I can't smell anything

T - Interesting, a blend between Bud and Bud Light, but I like it far better than either one of the those. I don't knock this beer as most do, I think it set out to appeal to people who don't like the taste of beer, and it succeeds. It doesn't taste like beer at all.

M - Strange, so light it has the complexity of water, after you swallow it is almost impossible to tell that there was beer in your mouth.

D - Astonishing, you could consume an entire case to yourself, and I have, on more than one occasion.

PhageLab, Oct 04, 2007
2.08/5  rDev +2.5%

It's like yellow water. Urine colored, to be exact. Soap bubble-like white fizzy head. It smells like metallic corn and wet hay. The taste is slightly better than the smell. Very watery in the mouth. I suppose it's somewhat drinkable because of its water characteristics. It doesn't taste horrible it just doesn't taste much like beer. Especially after I drank about 20 mugs of Warsteiner Dunkel last night at an Oktoberfest celebration. What the hell is "select" about this beer?

berserker256, Sep 29, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -22.2%

I got a FREE sample of this at my local bar. The Budweiser Select girls were there and everything. They poured a small cup of it for me and I sat down with 2 of my friends. We had already been drinking beforehand, mind you. We each take a drink at the same time, and each of us had the same face...disgusting! Granted it is a "smooth" beer, but there was absolutely NO flavor whatsoever and the taste was not good at all. Two of us shoveled the rest of our cups off to our other friend because he will drink anything ;-)

I certainly do not recommend this beer at all.

yoi55, Sep 27, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

Budweiser Select is almost flavorless but it has outstanding drinkability. It is definitely crisp and has a clean finish as advertised but nearly no flavor to it apart from a sense of drinking liquid gold.

In other words, I only drink this beer when I don't want heavy flavors and want something refreshing to drink by the pool. The new Slim Line cans actually help out by being packaged very nicely.

xare, Sep 26, 2007
2.68/5  rDev +32%

It is a typical yellowish-amber like any number of American lagers. Aroma is not strong and just a little malty. Flavor is OK, better than other mega-brewed light lagers, but that is not saying much! Smooth, not complex, it is a good party beer but not much fun for a serious connoisseur.

Cyberkedi, Sep 24, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

12 ounce can from a six pack at my friend's house

Do not really understand the point of making this beer if there is already a light

Calorically and as far as carbohydrates go, it is in the middle of Bud Light and Budweiser

Golden yellow color with no head and no real smells

Could drink a whole lot of these because of its lightness, but not much taste here

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007

I'm going in with an open mind..

Smell is vaguely beerish, but very plain. Taste just doesn't go anywhere, I've had tap water with a stronger flavor than this. I guess there's nothing to be offended by really, but there's nothing to get exited about either. The only item in their slogan I'll agree with is "finishes clean". It does finish clean, but I wouldn't characterize the taste as distinct, bold or flavorful.

Strix, Sep 12, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce can at approximately 43º with a born on date of 09Jun07. The beer poured with a thick head and surprisingly left a lot of lacing. Coloring was a clear and golden. I am somewhat surprised.

Not detecting much but what I would describe is a little musty.

Beer delivers a slight malt taste and a little flat. Not much there.

The mouthfeel is OK and would be acceptable on the brewery tour but not much else to go on about.

This is another so-so effort from a major brewer. At least they are keeping the alcohol content down.

SMark, Sep 11, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this at a neighborhood festival. The other option was Bud Light.

Color was a very pale yellow with neither a head nor lacing.

Smell was like your average macro which is almost none.

Taste was like heavily watering down a beer and adding sugar to it.

Light, watery, anf fizzy.

To me, Bud Select tastes no different than any other A-B product.I guess it'll work if the beer is very cold and the day is very hot.

Monkeyknife, Sep 08, 2007
1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

This sucks just like most A-B products. A low-carb, low-cal beer without the labeling. Why does A-B make so much of basically the same product (Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, Michelob Light, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Ultra Amber)? All pale lagers that deliver little or no taste nor satisfaction. Watery carbonation in a bottle.

biggmike, Aug 14, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +18.2%

Best I can describe is watery. It is basically a light beer and that reflect in the taste. It does have a crisp feel but that may be due to the temperature it is served at, but falls flat on taste. It is average in color for the type of beer that it is. It is best served extremely cold in my opinion. Once it warms a little the crisp taste quickly erodes and you are left with a rather bitter tasting very watery flavor.

safetyal, Aug 11, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

Why in the world does this beer exist? Its all over my area, billboards, commercials, ads. With Bud Light, Busch, Budweiser and Michelob I don't understand why AB pushes this so hard?

A- Light yellow, white head that doesn't hang around, no lacing
S- I can't smell anything
T- Ugh, can't tell much difference from the rest of AB's lineup, but for some reason this has the after taste of dishwater?
M- Crip and light with heavy carbonation
D- Well the only thing going for this is its lightness and low ABV if you count those as good things. You could very well drink a 6 of these in the hot summer and it not hurt your stomach. But I have no idea why you would want too?

I would say this is worse then Bud Light, defaintly worse the Michelob. No reason for it to exist.

Taipans, Aug 08, 2007
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

please dont buy me another one of these. i will have to be rude and leave it sitting on the bar untouched.

this is an even poorer example of beer. very light gold color with some fizz. lil head. bland smell. very bland taste.

honestly i cant drink this stuff. sure if it were a hundred degrees out and this was 36 degrees and free then i would.

not a good choice on any front other than that.

giblet

giblet, Jul 29, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a standard clear yellow color with a nice head. Aroma is bland with corn adjunct standing out more than anything. Taste is much of the same, sort of dull and harsh with an unimpressive backbone. Good for a lawnmower beer but unimpressive in general.

Brad007, Jul 25, 2007
2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured a clear, pale yellow with lots of bubbles, lots of carbonation. Head was thin but plentiful. Not much in the nose--some faint hops and clean malt. Light body with little flavor. Neutral-tasting. Hard to really comment. Not bad, not good, not really anything. Mouthfeel and drinkability were lacking.

A poor cheap beer, and it's not even that cheap.

shererjt, Jul 23, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance - it was a watery, clear yellow color.

Smell - None.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated water

Taste - Very watered down, not much taste at all.

Drinkability - None. Would not recommend.

I used to work for AB and they hyped this beer like crazy. Part of their hype was it was a beer with no aftertaste. I happen to like the aftertaste of beer. And "no aftertaste"? More like no taste at all. AND then they told us they were marketing it towards women. OUCH if I were a women I would have been PO'd.

Beerbuddha, Jul 16, 2007