Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Light golden color, with rapidly diminishing head.

S- Not much to the nose at all.

T- Tastes bland and watered down. That is about all you can say about it.

M- Very carbonated and just watered down. NO backbone what so ever.

D- Drinkable beer only because it is relatively cheap and you can drink a ton.

MMAJYK, Oct 26, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +41.9%

Ahhh yes, Bud Select - Be Selective as they used to say.

A - I'm not sure, yellow water perhaps, with obvious carbonation and little on top.

S - I can't smell anything

T - Interesting, a blend between Bud and Bud Light, but I like it far better than either one of the those. I don't knock this beer as most do, I think it set out to appeal to people who don't like the taste of beer, and it succeeds. It doesn't taste like beer at all.

M - Strange, so light it has the complexity of water, after you swallow it is almost impossible to tell that there was beer in your mouth.

D - Astonishing, you could consume an entire case to yourself, and I have, on more than one occasion.

PhageLab, Oct 04, 2007
2.08/5  rDev +2.5%

It's like yellow water. Urine colored, to be exact. Soap bubble-like white fizzy head. It smells like metallic corn and wet hay. The taste is slightly better than the smell. Very watery in the mouth. I suppose it's somewhat drinkable because of its water characteristics. It doesn't taste horrible it just doesn't taste much like beer. Especially after I drank about 20 mugs of Warsteiner Dunkel last night at an Oktoberfest celebration. What the hell is "select" about this beer?

berserker256, Sep 29, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -22.2%

I got a FREE sample of this at my local bar. The Budweiser Select girls were there and everything. They poured a small cup of it for me and I sat down with 2 of my friends. We had already been drinking beforehand, mind you. We each take a drink at the same time, and each of us had the same face...disgusting! Granted it is a "smooth" beer, but there was absolutely NO flavor whatsoever and the taste was not good at all. Two of us shoveled the rest of our cups off to our other friend because he will drink anything ;-)

I certainly do not recommend this beer at all.

yoi55, Sep 27, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

Budweiser Select is almost flavorless but it has outstanding drinkability. It is definitely crisp and has a clean finish as advertised but nearly no flavor to it apart from a sense of drinking liquid gold.

In other words, I only drink this beer when I don't want heavy flavors and want something refreshing to drink by the pool. The new Slim Line cans actually help out by being packaged very nicely.

xare, Sep 26, 2007
2.68/5  rDev +32%

It is a typical yellowish-amber like any number of American lagers. Aroma is not strong and just a little malty. Flavor is OK, better than other mega-brewed light lagers, but that is not saying much! Smooth, not complex, it is a good party beer but not much fun for a serious connoisseur.

Cyberkedi, Sep 24, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

12 ounce can from a six pack at my friend's house

Do not really understand the point of making this beer if there is already a light

Calorically and as far as carbohydrates go, it is in the middle of Bud Light and Budweiser

Golden yellow color with no head and no real smells

Could drink a whole lot of these because of its lightness, but not much taste here

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007

I'm going in with an open mind..

Smell is vaguely beerish, but very plain. Taste just doesn't go anywhere, I've had tap water with a stronger flavor than this. I guess there's nothing to be offended by really, but there's nothing to get exited about either. The only item in their slogan I'll agree with is "finishes clean". It does finish clean, but I wouldn't characterize the taste as distinct, bold or flavorful.

Strix, Sep 12, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce can at approximately 43º with a born on date of 09Jun07. The beer poured with a thick head and surprisingly left a lot of lacing. Coloring was a clear and golden. I am somewhat surprised.

Not detecting much but what I would describe is a little musty.

Beer delivers a slight malt taste and a little flat. Not much there.

The mouthfeel is OK and would be acceptable on the brewery tour but not much else to go on about.

This is another so-so effort from a major brewer. At least they are keeping the alcohol content down.

SMark, Sep 11, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this at a neighborhood festival. The other option was Bud Light.

Color was a very pale yellow with neither a head nor lacing.

Smell was like your average macro which is almost none.

Taste was like heavily watering down a beer and adding sugar to it.

Light, watery, anf fizzy.

To me, Bud Select tastes no different than any other A-B product.I guess it'll work if the beer is very cold and the day is very hot.

Monkeyknife, Sep 08, 2007
1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

This sucks just like most A-B products. A low-carb, low-cal beer without the labeling. Why does A-B make so much of basically the same product (Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, Michelob Light, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Ultra Amber)? All pale lagers that deliver little or no taste nor satisfaction. Watery carbonation in a bottle.

biggmike, Aug 14, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +18.2%

Best I can describe is watery. It is basically a light beer and that reflect in the taste. It does have a crisp feel but that may be due to the temperature it is served at, but falls flat on taste. It is average in color for the type of beer that it is. It is best served extremely cold in my opinion. Once it warms a little the crisp taste quickly erodes and you are left with a rather bitter tasting very watery flavor.

safetyal, Aug 11, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

Why in the world does this beer exist? Its all over my area, billboards, commercials, ads. With Bud Light, Busch, Budweiser and Michelob I don't understand why AB pushes this so hard?

A- Light yellow, white head that doesn't hang around, no lacing
S- I can't smell anything
T- Ugh, can't tell much difference from the rest of AB's lineup, but for some reason this has the after taste of dishwater?
M- Crip and light with heavy carbonation
D- Well the only thing going for this is its lightness and low ABV if you count those as good things. You could very well drink a 6 of these in the hot summer and it not hurt your stomach. But I have no idea why you would want too?

I would say this is worse then Bud Light, defaintly worse the Michelob. No reason for it to exist.

Taipans, Aug 08, 2007
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

please dont buy me another one of these. i will have to be rude and leave it sitting on the bar untouched.

this is an even poorer example of beer. very light gold color with some fizz. lil head. bland smell. very bland taste.

honestly i cant drink this stuff. sure if it were a hundred degrees out and this was 36 degrees and free then i would.

not a good choice on any front other than that.

giblet

giblet, Jul 29, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a standard clear yellow color with a nice head. Aroma is bland with corn adjunct standing out more than anything. Taste is much of the same, sort of dull and harsh with an unimpressive backbone. Good for a lawnmower beer but unimpressive in general.

Brad007, Jul 25, 2007
2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured a clear, pale yellow with lots of bubbles, lots of carbonation. Head was thin but plentiful. Not much in the nose--some faint hops and clean malt. Light body with little flavor. Neutral-tasting. Hard to really comment. Not bad, not good, not really anything. Mouthfeel and drinkability were lacking.

A poor cheap beer, and it's not even that cheap.

shererjt, Jul 23, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance - it was a watery, clear yellow color.

Smell - None.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated water

Taste - Very watered down, not much taste at all.

Drinkability - None. Would not recommend.

I used to work for AB and they hyped this beer like crazy. Part of their hype was it was a beer with no aftertaste. I happen to like the aftertaste of beer. And "no aftertaste"? More like no taste at all. AND then they told us they were marketing it towards women. OUCH if I were a women I would have been PO'd.

Beerbuddha, Jul 16, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +14.8%

got one because it was on the menu and I never see this one so what the hell right? Poured a pale golden yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded to just a thin fizzy ring on top. Lots of visible carbonation. Light grain smell, a touch of rice or corn or something else, but very light smell. The taste was ok when ice cold. Very grainy and grassy with a touch of a yeasty property to it. Crisp clean refreshing mouthfeel, perfect for when its hot. This is very drinkable coming out of an ice box when it is very hot. Overall I guess its a little better then normal Bud, I guess. It is still rather bland, but does seem to have somewhat more of a flavor profile to it. At least like they were trying to do something, though it is defiantly in the smae vane as a budweiser. A little darker maybe, but pretty much the same. I figured hell it was better then a corona right? Next maybe get water.

mikesgroove, Jul 15, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured a light straw hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light adjunct malt with a smattering of hop.

The taste consisted of a light a mildly sweet partial adjunct grain. The use of rice prevents the beer from acquiring a cloying sweetness. That is a plus with the Budweiser line - no corn.

The mouthfeel was clean and crisp, yet very thin. There was heavy carbonation.

The beer was very easy to drink. It is what it is - a low carb light beer. It certainly has more flavor than Ultra.

plaid75, Jul 15, 2007
1.18/5  rDev -41.9%

I really don't know why I didn't give this a straight 1.0. I guess because it wasn't exactly awful but was it ever close, too bad there isn't a 1.1.

I bought an 18 pack (or was it 15?) of this stuff in 16 oz aluminum bottles. "Select" it said on the carton (hmmm.... might be OK), I had never seen or drank it before so the name and fancy bottles tricked me.

Honestly I can't remember the last time a dozen (+or- ) beers lasted 4 weeks in my fridge. No one woud drink it voluntarily so I finally got rid of it through sheer determination. Hell my girlfriend wouldn't drink it and that was my best shot, so as not to get beaten by a beer, I drank it myself (argh).

edit: Somehow another bottle of this found its way into the fridge...was it really as bad as my first experience?...in a word, an emphatic yes, perhaps even worse... my taste # is going to 1. I really can't believe that something this bad is actually presented to the public as beer and "Select" no less.

scottblaze, Jul 10, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

I don't even know where this came from..I assume it's leftover from the weekend barbecue..I don't even know who bought it but I know it wasn't me. I sometimes wonder how AB can just repackage the same corn and rice nonsense over and over and call it something different...and people buy it... I don't get it.

Anyhoo, extremely pale color, lighter than urine, really, with a thin cap of head and tons of visible carbonation. Faint nose of adjunct and sugars. taste is like grainy, mineral touched tap water: almost nothing at all but what is there is poor. Mouthfeel is thin to none. Even if free, this isn't much of a beer at all.

daliandragon, Jul 10, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz slim can to appeal to the abnoxious and trendy energy drink crowd. Pours very pale yellow with large and unnatural soda-pop carbonation. Is this carbonation really a result of fermentation? Soft drink like smell that is barely there. It's a light sweet smell. Taste has just the slightest hop character to balance the slight sweetness of corn(Is this beer fermented corn-syrup?). I can drink it if there is nothing else, but I'm not proud of it. It's dryer than regular Bud, meaning a more pronounced hop bitterness, but the malt(CORN) character is also much lighter bringing a beer that has a lighter flavor than Bud. WHY?

mshallah, Jun 28, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -33.5%

Served in an aluminum bottle at the Phantom Gourmet BBQ Beach party. Budweiser had a monopoly on the market in terms of beer, as they were the only beer allowed at the party. See, money can get you something.

No cups provided, so I had espy the color from tilting the bottle into the sunlight streaming through city hall plaza. Clear light yellow. A bit bubbly.

Slight smell of malt grain. Very cold even after it was left to sit. Aluminum bottle? I think so.

No real taste to speak of, besides cold. Light hints of malt, and almost no trace of hops.

Of very little redeeming quality.

Freshie, Jun 25, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at a party. Trust me there was nothing better.

Yellow piss color with no smell and no head

Taste is of metal and corn. If you have had a bud light then you have had this beer before. Down right a waste of time and money on this beer.

Overall there I see no reason to ever buy this beer. I am glad that I got it for free.

Two thumbs down.

robocrouch, Jun 09, 2007
2.3/5  rDev +13.3%

Still a bad beer, but will go down and feel much better than Bud Light.

It is slightly smoother and very refreshing if served cold. In fact, this beer tastes like vomit IF it is not served as cold as possible. Don't let it get warm and you will enjoy a refreshing beverage with no great taste.

smcreator, Jun 03, 2007